• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

"Where are they now?"

We have launched a very exciting research project called "Where are they now?", the project aims to find all the old yachts that has participated in Whitbread Round the World or Volvo Ocean Race since the first edition in 1973. The research will result in an exhibition displayed in Gothenburg during the finish of Volvo Ocean Race. The exhibition will be open for the public free of charge and hopefully it will contribute to keeping the legacy of the great race alive.

Since the first race 41 years ago 152 yachts has started the race, far from all of them reached the finish-line. They all have a very different life as retired Whitbread/VOR yachts, some has sunk, some are forgotten, some has been involved in drug smuggling and some are in absolute mint condition.

TheDailySail.com launched a thread 4 years ago with the same aim, loads of leads came from the readers, but many yachts are still out there with no leads.

We are now calling for help from all anarchist to help us locate all of them!

Anyone that finds us a yacht and send us a high resolution picture will be mentioned in our exhibition with a special “thank you!” And one of you will be the lucky winner of a Musto Volvo Ocean Race jacket.

Gothenburg Stopover

MASERATI - EX ERICSON 3. STILL AROUND.

BLACK JACK - EX TELEFONICA ( I THINK ) RACING IN AUSTRALIA

ABN AMRO 1 / DELTA LLOYD - SOLD TO SOME TURKS I THINK LAST YEAR. There's a thread on it.

RUSSIAN MONSTER PROJECT - http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=150807 STILL SAILING

GIACOMO - EX GROUPAMA STILL RACING IN NZ.

I've lost track as to which MATES4MATES or Spirit of Mateship once one - V060 RACING IN AUSTRALIA.

The Demise of the card is here + some more history. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135596

EX - BRUNEL EX - Ichibahn was sold about a year or so back. Matt Allen traded a VO60 not sure who has either now.

Djuice Dragons is now racing as Team Jolokia, not sure where it's based but did Cowes week this year

OP already knows about the dailmail article.

Yep, handy to have link though as a start.

Brunel - Grant Warrington's Don Jones VO70 - Ichi Ban - Now Southern Excellence II

djuice dragons race boat - Knut Frostad's Davidson VO60 - Southern Excellence - now Spirit of Mateship

Half of them are in Airlie Beach. They now breed Bedbugs on them and euro trash use them as a place to root each other.

I don't currently have pictures, but Spirit of Ireland and Lodka Sport are on the hard at Peaks Yacht Services in Trinidad.

I can get you contact info if you'd like

Thank you, yes we know about NCB and Martela OF (Their original names), but no pictures yet. We are in contact with Peakes.

MASERATI - EX ERICSON 3. STILL AROUND.

BLACK JACK - EX TELEFONICA ( I THINK ) RACING IN AUSTRALIA

ABN AMRO 1 / DELTA LLOYD - SOLD TO SOME TURKS I THINK LAST YEAR. There's a thread on it.

RUSSIAN MONSTER PROJECT - http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=150807 STILL SAILING

GIACOMO - EX GROUPAMA STILL RACING IN NZ.

I've lost track as to which MATES4MATES or Spirit of Mateship once one - V060 RACING IN AUSTRALIA.

The Demise of the card is here + some more history. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135596

EX - BRUNEL EX - Ichibahn was sold about a year or so back. Matt Allen traded a VO60 not sure who has either now.

Thank you Scansas, we have a good story on the The Card but no pictures, if you would passed the wreck could you snap us a picture?

flyer is coming to the Volvo legends race after a restoration

Swedish Entry

This is Swedish Entry, she participated in Whitbread 1981-82, the campaign run out of funds in Auckland after 2 legs. The boat was later sold to a finish owner and delivered back to Sweden for a refit in 1994. She was last seen in Antigua 1986. Anyone seen this beauty around?

post-113162-0-76299200-1410866569_thumb.jpg

post-113162-0-98516300-1410866616_thumb.jpg

post-113162-0-65125400-1410866687_thumb.jpg

Thank you, as you said, not the best quality, we also need the photographers permission to use the images for the exhibition, ideally we would like to see the boats sitting in the boat yard, it would reflect the state and the mood of the yachts lifecycle at present.

I don't currently have pictures, but Spirit of Ireland and Lodka Sport are on the hard at Peaks Yacht Services in Trinidad.

Thank you, yes we know about NCB and Martela OF (Their original names), but no pictures yet. We are in contact with Peakes.

NCB was her first name then became athina she was never called spirit of ireland or old ka.

I worked on her in Greece when we painted her blue will dig out some photos

Came through Halifax on her way to New York (I think) for an apparently big refit. Looked in a sorry state, but still pretty awesome...

HW

Saw Fazisi up for sale a few years ago, must be still around.

edit: yep, heres a link:
http://www.fazisi.us/index.html

aside from being ugly, it must have been a beast upwind ...

Camper was sold recently to team Wolfpack and sailed to guernsey last week.

Rothmans was also in Hamble recently having repair work carried out after a small onboard fire mid atlantic. Apparently owned by a large syndicate. Not sure if it's still in Hamble

NCB was her first name then became athina she was never called spirit of ireland or old ka.

I worked on her in Greece when we painted her blue will dig out some photos

Great, thank you!

Steinlager 2 and lion Nz are in Auckland, both in great condition, and I believe Ceramco is being restored by her current owner, a lady. no idea where the other older Nz entry's are, fisher and Paykel, nzi enterprise and outward bound.

Steinlager 2 and lion Nz are in Auckland, both in great condition, and I believe Ceramco is being restored by her current owner, a lady. no idea where the other older Nz entry's are, fisher and Paykel, nzi enterprise and outward bound.

New Zealand Endeavour is in Italy and Fisher & Paykel is in Lanzarote, being run quite successfully as a charter yacht. From the Daily Sail list it looks like NZI Enterprise is in Split and has been sitting on the hard for over 20 years. Outward Bound apparently is in a shed n Tauranga

New Zealand Endeavour is in Italy and Fisher & Paykel is in Lanzarote, being run quite successfully as a charter yacht. From the Daily Sail list it looks like NZI Enterprise is in Split and has been sitting on the hard for over 20 years. Outward Bound apparently is in a shed n Tauranga

Ceramco is in Trinidad, at the same yard as NCB and Martela OF we have been told. We have good pictures of Fisher&Paykel from Bernard who runs her in Lanzarote.

We have a local guy in Tauranga that is looking in all sheds for Outward Bound.

We have no contact info for NZ Endeavor, any one?

Ceramco is in Trinidad, at the same yard as NCB and Martela OF we have been told. We have good pictures of Fisher&Paykel from Bernard who runs her in Lanzarote.

We have a local guy in Tauranga that is looking in all sheds for Outward Bound.

We have no contact info for NZ Endeavor, any one?

We have found NZI Enterprise on Google Earth is Split as you say, inside a huge shipyard, anyone in split that can take a picture?

Tabarly's boat Côte d'Or ('85-'86) is on the hard in Breskens, NL and has been there for a number of years. Now painted blue, she's been for sale for a long time, and looks a bit forlorn. I have some pics I will try to post later

Tabarly's boat Côte d'Or ('85-'86) is on the hard in Breskens, NL and has been there for a number of years. Now painted blue, she's been for sale for a long time, and looks a bit forlorn. I have some pics I will try to post later

Great, thank you!

How many books were written about this race? Back in the early days it seems that every team had a book, I remember reading books on Ceramco, Outward Bound, Lion, Nzi enterprise, and Steiny 2 I think.

At least 1 or 2 V60's were being chartered around the Caribbean for the big regattas. Don't know which ones.

Sayula is still sailing somewhere.

Great job, keep us updated

She is being restored to her original configuration or as close as reasonably possible. So back to ketch rig with boomkin, & hard dodger (just visible on deck). Stern mod is being left - back 1/5 of hull was changed. Wonder if they'll leave the bow roller I installed?

UBF

Here is another yacht that we have very little info about today, UBF, Union Bank of Finland from the 1989-90 race, 83 ' aluminum hull built in Finland and skippered by Ludde Ingvall, was actually designed to be a ketch but they opt for the sloop configuration in the end. They had a lot of breakages and was nicknamed UBF (Usually Breaks First).

Last seen in Marseille called Spark and used as a floating hotel. Anyone know more?

1005779.jpg

ubf1.png

you could contact Gideon Messink of Nautor/ Grand Soleil yachts. The boat is right outside his office.I believe he was on board the brunel at the time as well. one of his (former) colleagues is now involved in the current team Brunel.

you could contact Gideon Messink of Nautor/ Grand Soleil yachts. The boat is right outside his office.I believe he was on board the brunel at the time as well. one of his (former) colleagues is now involved in the current team Brunel.

Thanks, good call

Brunel Sunergy is in Seaport Marina in Ijmuiden, Holland, or it was last year when I was last there. I have seen it there a number of times in recent years.

Great news, anyone in the area that can snap a picture?

Further to this, people on the dock informed me that the Brunel Sunergy, which in now just called Sunergy, is still in posession of the original owner and is used for corporate saililng. Will try to get back with a photo. Several years ago I posted photos of it on this website in another thread.

Outward Bound is in a shed on Portside Drive in Tauranga, let me know if you need more info, I drive past it every day.

That would be great, we have asked a few locals in Tauranga but none seems to know what you know, great if you could snap us a shoot and if possible some info on why she is there and what the future is?. Thanks.

Brunel Sunergy is in Seaport Marina in Ijmuiden, Holland, or it was last year when I was last there. I have seen it there a number of times in recent years.

Great news, anyone in the area that can snap a picture?

Further to this, people on the dock informed me that the Brunel Sunergy, which in now just called Sunergy, is still in posession of the original owner and is used for corporate saililng. Will try to get back with a photo. Several years ago I posted photos of it on this website in another thread.

Great, thanks!

NZI Enterprise/Gatorade

This is the last known picture of the NZI Enterprise, the Farr maxi from the 1985-86 race, became Gatorade 1989-90. It is a Google Earth screenshot from a shipyard in Split, Croatia. We believe she is still there, the yacht has been unloved for several years, mast still up and no cover. Anyone from Split with more info?

post-113162-0-20269100-1411195478_thumb.png

http://spiritofcanada.net/wordpress2/2012/10/spirit-of-canada-expands-sailing-program/

Amer sports 1, now "Spirit of Adventure". Still actively sailed, I have a few photos of her getting her bottom done from last summer somewhere...

Did the Sydney to Hobart on NZI (then known as Castaway Enterprise). Was in Split recently but didn't know she was on the hard there. Would have been good to see the old girl.

Did the Sydney to Hobart on NZI (then known as Castaway Enterprise). Was in Split recently but didn't know she was on the hard there. Would have been good to see the old girl.

We found a contact at the shipyard that will take some pictures of NZI

http://spiritofcanada.net/wordpress2/2012/10/spirit-of-canada-expands-sailing-program/

Amer sports 1, now "Spirit of Adventure". Still actively sailed, I have a few photos of her getting her bottom done from last summer somewhere...

Thanks, got hold of the team after the lead in this thread, pictures on the way!!

pen duick VI is still being sailed by a non profit organisation "Association Eric Tabarly". I think that she is based in Lorient.

There are the two Whitbread/Volvo 60s sitting in the Cabrio Isle Marina in San Pedro, CA. I Believe that they are the ex-Yamaha, and America's Challenge boats that were in Newport Beach talked about here. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=118010&hl=%2Bnewport+%2Bbeach#entry4461599

This is great info, is it Yamaha 1 or 2? Any chance of a couple of new pictures?

There are the two Whitbread/Volvo 60s sitting in the Cabrio Isle Marina in San Pedro, CA. I Believe that they are the ex-Yamaha, and America's Challenge boats that were in Newport Beach talked about here. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=118010&hl=%2Bnewport+%2Bbeach#entry4461599

This is great info, is it Yamaha 1 or 2? Any chance of a couple of new pictures?

It would be Yamaha 2, which was the training boat for America's Challenge. Yamaha 1's now called Cuba Libre and seems to do the Med - Caribbean regatta circuit.

It would be Yamaha 2, which was the training boat for America's Challenge. Yamaha 1's now called Cuba Libre and seems to do the Med - Caribbean regatta circuit.

Thanks, just found the Cuba Libre Facebook site!

2 VO60s from the 01/02 race are entered for this years Middle Sea Race. Ambersail (previously Assa Abloy) and Team Jolinka (previously Djuice Dragons, mentioned above)

Thanks, Ambersail is new lead, Team Jolinka we got in contact with yesterday after the lead in the thread :-)

Don't know if she's been accounted for, but V60 Amer Sports One is now Spirit of Adventure run by Spirit of Canada ocean racing, she should be on her way to the Canaries by now.

HW

This is news for us, good lead, thanks!

She actually leaves in early November and will be sailing the RORC transatlantic race to Grenada at the end of that month.

I saw the Rothmans maxi (I think) in Hamble Yacht Services earlier this year. Team Jolokia grounded their VO60 hard in cowes week. Doing about 9 kts they hit the island shore near Newtown Creek, the entire boat back to the keel came out of the water. Then fell over away from the island and came off.

We are on our way to Alicante at the moment, with the Flyer.

From april til august we went to the yard of Royal Huisman to refit her in her original form. on the 9th of september we left Holland to sail towards Alicante, only 150 miles to go. On our Facebook page - Flyer Zeiljacht - you can find movies and pics of our trip.

Gerard

post-34547-0-30112500-1411936645_thumb.jpg

post-34547-0-39789100-1411936666_thumb.jpg

Whitbread 1973.

This a classic photo from the 1973-74 race, this dude brought his guitar onboard for the race. We don't know who he is nor which yacht he was on. Anyone with clues?

Andy Culley - "Burton Cutter "

Cuba Libre does the Caribbean circuit and occasionally heads to the Med.

Short handed her from Antigua to Bermuda last year on a delivery, was an absolute peach to helm.

O5WksOv.jpg

We are on our way to Alicante at the moment, with the Flyer.

From april til august we went to the yard of Royal Huisman to refit her in her original form. on the 9th of september we left Holland to sail towards Alicante, only 150 miles to go. On our Facebook page - Flyer Zeiljacht - you can find movies and pics of our trip.

Gerard

Hi Gerard, great, we will see you in Alicante this weekend!

Il Monstro-

Almost completely de-pumafied, currently racing out of Chicago Il, and hibernating in Holland Michigan.

Thanks, any chance of a picture?

Here is a link to the "Peter von Sestermühle" http://www.peter-von-seestermuehe.de/schiff/

the ship (build in 1936) participated as "Peter von Danzig" in the first race in 1973, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_von_Danzig_%28Schiff,_1936%29

sorry I was only able to find informations in German.

Great info, thanks

We have two of them here in Vigo, Galicia Pescanova (whitbread '93) I think was lost in France some years ago, but "Tokio" is here in Vigo painted like Pescanova. She hasn´t been sailed in a while but with Pescanova´s (the company) owner close to going to jail, and most of his properties under the judge´s jurisdiction, my guess is she won't be sailing soon.

Also Telefonica Black has her base here, she is sailing often, so she could be anywhere...

We have two of them here in Vigo, Galicia Pescanova (whitbread '93) I think was lost in France some years ago, but "Tokio" is here in Vigo painted like Pescanova. She hasn´t been sailed in a while but with Pescanova´s (the company) owner close to going to jail, and most of his properties under the judge´s jurisdiction, my guess is she won't be sailing soon.

Also Telefonica Black has her base here, she is sailing often, so she could be anywhere...

Thanks for this info, any chance you can snap a couple of pictures for us? Interesting news that Galicia Pescanova was lost do you mean she has sunk?