Better late than never...

Tokio, painted as Galicia Pescanova 93, I believe it's for sale, if you want it...

IMG-20150225-WA0004_zpsk4ogtjdl.jpg

IMG-20150225-WA0003_zpsglljjfae.jpg

Sayula 11, winner of the first race, is happily sitting here in SD getting a new main, RF system and a few other mods. As one of the original crew, I get to sail back to Mexico on it!

Sayula 11, winner of the first race, is happily sitting here in SD getting a new main, RF system and a few other mods. As one of the original crew, I get to sail back to Mexico on it!

Great info, any pictures?

Nice writing from Yachting World about Flyer from 77/78 race.

http://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts-and-gear/flyer-flies-again-conny-van-rietschoten-62299

Indeed--thanks for that find. The pics of the 'luxury' down below really back up the contrast with today's RTW racers

By comparison with today’s stripped out Volvo racers, Flyer is very comfortable, with enclosed cabins for the crew. Four crew hot-bunked from each cabin and there were exclusive cabins for skipper and navigator on opposite sides of a central walkway near the aft companionway. The large galley had a 400lt deep freeze with plenty of stowage to feed a crew of 12 for six weeks at a time, and there was an open plan saloon opposite.

Just saw this morning the 2 whitbread 60s in Cabrillo way marina looking very sorry for themselves .have some pictures but for the life of me can't upload them will gladly email to somebody to upload

Now that the V70s are history it'd be awesome to see a separate V70 class race with a bunch of them. I guess Maserati or Groupama would win.

Most of them have been highly modified as they have moved on.

Most of them have been highly modified as they have moved on.

And spread around the globe. Groupama is in NZ, Telefonica in Australia

The Ribadeau-Dumas ULDB Charles Jourdain from the 89/90 race was later renamed Nicorette, and did the 93 Fastnet chartered from the Italian owners by Ludde Ingvall. Then heavily redesigned/rebuilt by Simionis Voogd in South Africa she re-appeared for the 95 Fastnet, which she won by a country mile (24½ hours).

Later owned by Gunnar Ekdahl of the KSSS in Sweden as Royal Blue, she won the Fastnet again in 97, then painted green raced as RX-Sight in the SF Big Boat Series in 98. After that, I believe she went back to Sweden. Or Ludde may have taken her to Australia?

Anyone know where she is now?

I had loads of miles on that one - happy memories. Including navigating those 3 Fastnets.

She is now in Alicante in great condition, she was called Charles Jourdan again 3 years ago in the Legends regatta just before the start of VOR 2011. Correction to your otherwise accurate summary, the big alteration was done by finish yacht designer Jussi Mannerberg and not Simonis/Voogd, the South African/Dutch duo designed Nicorette III.

Actually, I saw her last week in Denia. Looking good

Dear SA friends,

As we draw to a close in the research project I would like to thank all of you for helping sourcing old Whitbread/VOR yachts. The deadline is coming up soon and the production of the exhibition has started. As promised we will draw a random winner of a VOR jacket among all of you that has helped in the project. The winner will be presented when the exhibition opens on June 21. The project has been a great success, all together 155 yachts has once stared in the race, (we first thought it was 152) as per today we have found the whereabouts for 138 yachts, we have historic images of 149 yachts and we have 102 recent images taken in the last year or so.

The remaining yachts that are still missing are the following:

Whitbread 1973-74

1. Concorde, french yacht skippered by Pierre Chassin and known to be the smallest boat in the fleet with a crew of only 5, Concorde only sailed the second leg from Cape Town - Sydney

Whitbread 1977-78

2. ADC Accutrac, a Swan 65 skippered by the first female slipper of the race, Clare Frances.

3. B&B Italia, she was an Italian sloop around 50 ft and skippered by Corrado Di Majo

Whitbread 1981-82

4. Xargo III, Swan 65 now believed to called Nittan, we don't know where she is now

5. Kriter IX, French entry skippered by Andre Viant

6. Ilgagomma, 50 ft Italian yacht skippered by Roberto Vianello

7. Bubblegum, GBR entry a Bazan 43

8. European Uni Belgium, a Frers 46 skippered by Jean Blondiau

9. Swedish Entry, last seen in the West Indies late 80´s

10. Vivanapoli, 57 ft Italian entry skippered by Beppe Panada

​11. Scandinavian, Swan 57 crewed by mainly pilots from Scandinavian Airlines System, (SAS)

Whitbread 1985-86

12. Shadow of Switzerland, Swan 51 skippered by Otto & Nora Zehender-Mueller

13. Atlantic Privateer, became Liverpool Enterprise in the 1989-90 race, 80 ft Farr Maxi, last know to be in Poland.

Whitbread 1989-90

14. Schlussel von Bremen, German entry, a Judel-Vrolijk 63

13. Liverpool Enterprise, see 1985-86 race

15. La Poste, Beneteau 51 skippered by Daniel Malle

Whitbread 1993-94

16. Dolphin & Youth, Whitbread 60

Dear SA friends,

As we draw to a close in the research project I would like to thank all of you for helping sourcing old Whitbread/VOR yachts. The deadline is coming up soon and the production of the exhibition has started. As promised we will draw a random winner of a VOR jacket among all of you that has helped in the project. The winner will be presented when the exhibition opens on June 21. The project has been a great success, all together 155 yachts has once stared in the race, (we first thought it was 152) as per today we have found the whereabouts for 138 yachts, we have historic images of 149 yachts and we have 102 recent images taken in the last year or so.

Whitbread 1973-74

1. Concorde, french yacht skippered by Pierre Chassin and known to be the smallest boat in the fleet with a crew of only 5, Concorde only sailed the second leg from Cape Town - Sydney

Whitbread 1977-78

2. ADC Accutrac, a Swan 65 skippered by the first female slipper of the race, Clare Frances.

3. B&B Italia, she was an Italian sloop around 50 ft and skippered by Corrado Di Majo

Whitbread 1981-82

4. Xargo III, Swan 65 now believed to called Nittan, we don't know where she is now

5. Kriter IX, French entry skippered by Andre Viant

6. Ilgagomma, 50 ft Italian yacht skippered by Roberto Vianello

7. Bubblegum, GBR entry a Bazan 43

8. European Uni Belgium, a Frers 46 skippered by Jean Blondiau

9. Swedish Entry, last seen in the West Indies late 80´s

10. Vivanapoli, 57 ft Italian entry skippered by Beppe Panada

​11. Scandinavian, Swan 57 crewed by mainly pilots from Scandinavian Airlines System, (SAS)

Whitbread 1985-86

12. Shadow of Switzerland, Swan 51 skippered by Otto & Nora Zehender-Mueller

13. Atlantic Privateer, became Liverpool Enterprise in the 1989-90 race, 80 ft Farr Maxi, last know to be in Poland.

Whitbread 1989-90

14. Schlussel von Bremen, German entry, a Judel-Vrolijk 63

13. Liverpool Enterprise, see 1985-86 race

Whitbread 1993-94

16. Dolphin & Youth, Whitbread 60

We just found out the history of Schlüssel von Bremen:

The Yacht Schlüssel von Bremen got sold by the Yacht Club Segelkameradschaft das Wappen von Bremen to a group of Owners from Kaunas in Lithuania. The Yacht stayed for a couple of years in the Marina of Klaipeda (formerly Memel/East Prussian) and raced in the Baltic Sea, in Danmark and Sweden. After a year of Ownership the new Owners decided for a general refit. The Yacht got put into a barge with a roof and got shipped up to Kaunas. Through a defect with the heating during the refit in the mid/end 90ies the whole barge including the precious cargo burnt down and was lost forever.

#4 = Nittan ex Xargo III seen in Aragai Marina, Imperia in 2010...

Dark blue hull.

Could be anywhere now I guess...

Dear SA friends,

Whitbread 1989-90

The Yacht Schlüssel von Bremen got sold by the Yacht Club Segelkameradschaft das Wappen von Bremen to a group of Owners from Kaunas in Lithuania. The Yacht stayed for a couple of years in the Marina of Klaipeda (formerly Memel/East Prussian) and raced in the Baltic Sea, in Danmark and Sweden. After a year of Ownership the new Owners decided for a general refit. The Yacht got put into a barge with a roof and got shipped up to Kaunas. Through a defect with the heating during the refit in the mid/end 90ies the whole barge including the precious cargo burnt down and was lost forever.

I could be mistaken but I think La Poste is now named "Port de Gravelines"?

https://www.google.be/search?q=port+de+gravelines&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&imgil=Sr95GQpRvLmETM%253A%253B9p_WmlyqYyQeiM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dunkerque-tourisme.fr%25252Ffr%25252FVisiter-bouger%25252FVisiter-bouger-Liste%25252FSORTIES-EN-MER-A-BORD-DU-VOILIER-PORT-DE-GRAVELINES&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Sr95GQpRvLmETM%253A%252C9p_WmlyqYyQeiM%252C_&usg=__PIR8qIYg6xk0kE6ilqh42HRPBpE%3D&ved=0CDsQyjc&ei=HVImVerrDcavU_eqgdAM#imgrc=HnpLwZlDvdBwKM%253A%3BgDP5nOZOZmL4gM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.portvaubangravelines.com%252FPlaisance%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F06%252FBateau-Port2Gravelines-01.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.portvaubangravelines.com%252FPlaisance%252Fmedia%252F%3B1920%3B1276

Dear SA friends,

Whitbread 1989-90

I could be mistaken but I think La Poste is now named "Port de Gravelines"?

https://www.google.be/search?q=port+de+gravelines&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&imgil=Sr95GQpRvLmETM%253A%253B9p_WmlyqYyQeiM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dunkerque-tourisme.fr%25252Ffr%25252FVisiter-bouger%25252FVisiter-bouger-Liste%25252FSORTIES-EN-MER-A-BORD-DU-VOILIER-PORT-DE-GRAVELINES&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Sr95GQpRvLmETM%253A%252C9p_WmlyqYyQeiM%252C_&usg=__PIR8qIYg6xk0kE6ilqh42HRPBpE%3D&ved=0CDsQyjc&ei=HVImVerrDcavU_eqgdAM#imgrc=HnpLwZlDvdBwKM%253A%3BgDP5nOZOZmL4gM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.portvaubangravelines.com%252FPlaisance%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F06%252FBateau-Port2Gravelines-01.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.portvaubangravelines.com%252FPlaisance%252Fmedia%252F%3B1920%3B1276

Fantastic, you are correct, this is La Poste!

"Port of Gravelines" is anything but a plain sailing! Called "LA POST" at its outlet site, he takes part in the Witbread prestigious crewed race around the world that he wins in its class, at the helm of such exceptional sailors that Tabarly Daniel Mallé or Michel Desjoyeaux ...

2 x 1997 Volvo 60's have just come up for on line auction in Australia finishing on 30 April 2015.

Spirit of the Maid and Merit.

2 x 1997 Volvo 60's have just come up for on line auction in Australia finishing on 30 April 2015.

Spirit of the Maid and Merit.

Thanks, this is the EF Education and Merit (Race Boat) I presume, any recent pictures?

Great job!

Do you publish book too?

There are no plans for a book yet, maybe there will be.........

Maybe an e-book for download with proceeds to the VOR charity.

Great job!

Do you publish book too?

There are no plans for a book yet, maybe there will be.........

Maybe an e-book for download with proceeds to the VOR charity.

That could interest me in spending a few euros...

I believe Ilgagomma (Labarca Laboratoria) of WRTWR 1981-82 is in Copenhagen. She has been on land for more than 10 years and has been for sale several times (last time around one year ago).https://www.google.dk/maps/@55.6938923,12.6088237,138m/data=!3m1!1e3

11188337_10203973109788118_1064390016576

Atlantic Privateer from the 1989-90 race was bought by Danish drug dealers in St. Nazaire, france in 2003. They then sailed it to Moroccan waters where they loaded it with 13 tonnes of Marijuana. From there on back to Denmark. I dont think Atlantic Privateer is in Denmark any more.

I believe Ilgagomma (Labarca Laboratoria) of WRTWR 1981-82 is in Copenhagen. She has been on land for more than 10 years and has been for sale several times (last time around one year ago).https://www.google.dk/maps/@55.6938923,12.6088237,138m/data=!3m1!1e3

11188337_10203973109788118_1064390016576

Atlantic Privateer from the 1989-90 race was bought by Danish drug dealers in St. Nazaire, france in 2003. They then sailed it to Moroccan waters where they loaded it with 13 tonnes of Marijuana. From there on back to Denmark. I dont think Atlantic Privateer is in Denmark any more.

This is fantastic news, this yacht is La Barce Laboratoria, an italian entry from the 1981-82 race, not the same yacht as Illagomma. La Barce Laboratoria was one of the last few yachts to be found so this is great info, thank very much.

On the Atlantic Privateer, I have a thin lead towards Poland, there was some polish involvement in the drug bust and I believe she is owned by a polish person. Could possibly by in Poland. Another intel has that she was seized by Danish authorities after the drug bust, either destroyed or still kept in shed as evidence from the legal trail. I would love to get more info on this one, anyone with connection within the Danish DEA?

Hi all anarchy friends, we would like to thank you all for your help in finding out where all the yachts are now. If we count the 2014-15 VOR yachts, there has been 163 entries, only 14 are still missing!

The exhibition has bee on display in Gothenburg this week and thousands of visitors has been reading all the fantastic stories about the boats, men and women that has made this race what it is today.

We also promised to draw a winner among all you "researchers" that has contributed with content, the winner will be sent a VOR Musto Jacket.

The lucky winner is: Royal Flush

Please pm us with you jacket size and address and your Volvo Ocean Race jacket will be in the mail.

Thanks again to everybody!!

Great job!

Waiting for a book :)

(or online gallery)

Should be a book option as well, could be a great book to have next to the rum bottle.

More interesting than the history of the Americas Cup that's for sure.

Sorry Bob. ;)

Did you mean this one Puntone?

http://fr.bernard-gallay.com/yacht-a-vendre/ESPRIT-D-EQUIPES-II-940

L'esprit d'Équipe, winner of the 1985/86 race.

That specific Tortarolo design was not the boat which won the Whitbread

Although christened Esprit d' Equipe too (II) and painted similarly to the racing Briand design, it was used as an hospitality and "experience" boat within the sponsor's marketing program.

Hi all anarchy friends, we would like to thank you all for your help in finding out where all the yachts are now. If we count the 2014-15 VOR yachts, there has been 163 entries, only 14 are still missing!

The exhibition has bee on display in Gothenburg this week and thousands of visitors has been reading all the fantastic stories about the boats, men and women that has made this race what it is today.

We also promised to draw a winner among all you "researchers" that has contributed with content, the winner will be sent a VOR Musto Jacket.

The lucky winner is: Royal Flush

Please pm us with you jacket size and address and your Volvo Ocean Race jacket will be in the mail.

Thanks again to everybody!!

Very nice :wub:

I'm looking forward to it :)

pm sent

Worth the effort guys. I spent much longer than I intended in the exhibition in Gothenburg. You should preserve it and encourage Knut to take it around the world next time.

Just a thought

Cheers

SS

Did you mean this one Puntone?

http://fr.bernard-gallay.com/yacht-a-vendre/ESPRIT-D-EQUIPES-II-940

L'esprit d'Équipe, winner of the 1985/86 race.

That specific Tortarolo design was not the boat which won the Whitbread

Although christened Esprit d' Equipe too (II) and painted similarly to the racing Briand design, it was used as an hospitality and "experience" boat within the sponsor's marketing program.

Yes , sh's an evolution , not the original

Fazer Finland (Swan 651) is now Second Wind. She'll be on her way to Hawaii along with the rest of the Aloha Class of this years Transpac.

Maiden is here.

As you can read, there is a project to rescue her and sail it across the finish line in Southampton in 2016, 30 years to the minute after the (first) girls did it at the Withbread '86 race.

Apologies if it's old news. Otherwise - also in consideration of all the noise about girls in the VOR this year - isn't this worth a slot in the homepage?

green dragon in Monfalcone (northern italy) since last november

post-58843-0-87355200-1452000830_thumb.jpg

also nz endeavour is in monfalcone

My Grandpa's boat Bubblegum (a Contessa 43) from 1981-82 was last seen here http://www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbrokerage/41260/CONTESSA-43.html

I think she was the smallest boat to have taken part in the race. She lost her rudder west of Cape Horn and was rescued by the Chilean Navy.

I would love to buy her back one day. I just need to start saving my pennies.

the boat was owned by friends for a couple of years. beautiful boat.

Did the Sydney to Hobart on NZI (then known as Castaway Enterprise). Was in Split recently but didn't know she was on the hard there. Would have been good to see the old girl.

We found a contact at the shipyard that will take some pictures of NZI

Hello, I would like to build a R/C scale model of Gatorade/NZI and I'm desperately looking for pics.

Did you manage to have some pics of her in Split in the end?

Thanks a lot!

Federico - Italy

Promised ages ago to post some pictures of the old Côte d'Or, now called Yorgo and on the hard in Breskens, and I believe for sale for the last 5 years at least, if not longer

Now sold and back in the drink with destination Albania, leaving Breskens soon. She's been sitting on the quay for the last 13 years according to the local rag.

Let's hope it all stays together.

image-5861473_zps1ifbmf9v.jpg

I saw this girl a couple of months ago in Burriana (Spain)

She's for sale too...

IMG_20160302_WA0003.jpg

IMG_20160302_WA0004.jpg

What's Maserati doing now? More record attempts?

They just bought Gitana's MOD 70, so good bye the old one I think

It was listed for sale & is now showing as sold with the broker.

I hear Maserati is still in Australia following the last Sydney to Hobart yacht race and will stay on as the new Brindabella. I guess that's 3 x VOR70s residing in Oz and one in NZ.

Mex

Tokio, painted as Galicia Pescanova 93, I believe it's for sale, if you want it...

I might be interested. Looking for US built Whitbread or Volvo 60.

I hear Maserati is still in Australia following the last Sydney to Hobart yacht race and will stay on as the new Brindabella. I guess that's 3 x VOR70s residing in Oz and one in NZ.

Mex

Spot on Mex

I can easily get you in touch with the owner...

Which Tokio is that? there were 2 built I seem to remember.

No idea, but I can ask if really interested...

Swedish Entry now lives in Mount Hope Bay Rhode Island .

She is Know called Nervira ! Owned by a local guy from Fall River Mass.

Bought her while she was in Antigua and sailed her North .

Has done a transatlantic and was involved in a rescue of a crew on a Tartan 40 that left New Bedford for the Azores .

They didn't make but Nervira plucked them out of the water just as the decks where awash !

She's kinda beat right know from a few years of neglect .

I'd be interested, as I remember the Swarbrick (sp?) boat wasn't sailed very much even though it was a 2 boat campaign and just got left somewhere. Wondering what ever happened to it?

I'd be interested, as I remember the Swarbrick (sp?) boat wasn't sailed very much even though it was a 2 boat campaign and just got left somewhere. Wondering what ever happened to it?

That looks like the Farr boat

Green Dragon @ Thousand Islad Race 2016

Gotta love the anchor setup!

gallery_116338_1152_4131.jpg

It has to go somewhere!

Obviously the waters of the Med haven't been all that kind to her.

3 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Old Tokio refitted and for sale...

Which reminds, did anybody find out about the Swarbrick (sp)? boat?