Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Perry

the NIGHT RUNNER story

NIGHT RUNNER has been a fixture on the PNW racing scene for 33 years. At some point in time NIGHT RUNNER has won every race around here. It's a great boat much loved by its owner Doug Fryer.

If NIGHT RUNNER interests you check out my blog where I do a "gloves off" entry on the NIGHT RUNNER saga.

Boy to have been a fly on the wall during your meetings with CL - an old curmudgeon and a young curmudgeon, each knowing the other was wrong. ;)

Jon:

That's a funny and probably accurate way to put it. But I don't think I was into my "curmudgeon" phase yet. I was perfecting the "know it all, smart ass" persona.

I just updated the blog entry with an email from Doug.

3 times first overall in Swiftsure

5 times first in class in Swiftsure

'

As we approached the start line for our very first race in NIGHT RUNNER a guy on a C&C looked over at us and said, "looking goof NIGHT CRAWLER".

That's the last time he was close enough for us to hear him.

That's an awesome story bob. You really are the Steinbeck of yachting prose. Can i run the whole thing on the front page with a link?

Thanks a lot Alan. I can;t type for shit and I can't spell for shit but I can think.

Many thanks to SA'er VALIS for taking the time to notate and edit all my typos and forward his work to me. VALIS can type, spell and think.

It would be an honor to have the story on the front page.

I made a few additions and corrections to this blog entry. It has received a lot of hits. Many sincere thanks to all who have taken the time to read it.

If I had a nickel from everyone who has looked at it I could by myself two Happy Meals.

I have no idea what a Happy Meal costs but that was a guess.

I've never seen the boat in person, and mostly the side shots in pictures. I love the shot from ahead under spinnaker in the blog entry. That really shows the "old fashioned look" above the waterline. What a great boat. Could you put a Thunderhead like hard dodger on her? Probably on the 50' version.

And don't forget the compulsory Tang and Mount Gay after race libations on Night Runner.

The Captain

First had that concoction in 1973, doing Transpac on New World. The owner, George Kiskaddon (RIP), a very interesting guy, claimed its invention (which I doubt) and called it Poon-Tang.

I've never seen the boat in person, and mostly the side shots in pictures. I love the shot from ahead under spinnaker in the blog entry. That really shows the "old fashioned look" above the waterline. What a great boat. Could you put a Thunderhead like hard dodger on her? Probably on the 50' version.

Thunderhead's hard dodger was beautiful, a great place during deliveries and a significant hinderance while racing, as you were constantly working around it and climbing past it. The dodger also opened onto a raised dining salon with a gorgeous gimbaled (with a 600 lb? counterweight) table that sat 7. You could be having an elegant dinner below and pass morsels up to the on-watch slaves in the cockpit. I don't think that would fit on the Crawler.

Tuck:

I agree with Asy. A hard dodger would be a bit awkward on NR and given the notched in companionway on the starboard side you would have to crawl over the bridge deck to get in and out of the boat.

As you said, this is best left for the 54' version of NR that I'm certain someone is going to want any minute now.

Hello?

I sailed aboard NR when she won the last two Swiftsures... Here's a couple fun facts and stolen quotes. Still has her original spinnaker pole 22' long I believe. Chain drive system on mast to adjust inboard end. Foredeck hatch smaller than a J-24. Doug still asks us to check the fathometer. Paper charts are standard. Suprisingly Amsteel running backstays. Jib top and genoa staysail is a favorite combo (staysail is original). "What's holding that spinnaker together; nostalgia?" As we blaze down the straits approaching Race Rocks doin about 15kts, I've been driving since Sheringham, Doug taps me on the shoulder, "Maybe I better take her through the Race..." I say yah sure ya betcha I just gotta see what this looks like from the end of the sprit!" Still has the finest post race ceremony in the fleet.

Thanks nwrig. I remember a round up in Race Rocks. As NR righted itself and the chute started filling and dumping and filling and dumping I looked up at the masthead and thought to myself, "How do you calculate those loads?" All credit to Alan Holt and Bill Gates from Spartech for building a great rig. I miss those guys. They were my go to rig guys.

Ahhhh Night Runner!!

As the founder of the Van Isle 360 I get to sail on some pretty cool boats, Night Runner being my all time favorite. It's not just that the boat is totally cool but the crew with a combined age of around a thousand are a joy to sail with. I also had the pleasure of sailing on Dragonfly when we put ourselves in harms way smack dab in front of Night Runner in breezy conditions at a start in Deepwater Bay. I can attest to the fact that Night Runner's bob-stay looks extremely intimidating climbing over the aft beam of a stalled formula 40 cat. I may be the only guy to get up close and personal with both ends of NR. I like the view from the back of the boat far better.

Wayne Gorrie

Wayne:

May I add your post to my blog please?

Of course you can Bob. FYI I have also had the pleasure to sail several times on Icon, first with Dick and later with Kevin. Completely different programs, both successful. You did a hell of a job on that boat and she is still leading the way when lots boats of her age are more or less out to pasture. A truly sweet boat to sail with good manners in all conditions.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks for the blog post. The first thing I thought when I saw the hull shape was how much it reminded me of my boat (a j-35) and then lower down the gentlemen was talking about how it performed close to one upwind. Great looking boat and a true icon of the pac northwest.

Thanks Wayne and Starbuck. It's 2:41am here, I'm nervous about a trip back east I have to take today so I am up and fiddling. I just added some more race results to the NR blog. I'm even amazed when I look at the years spanned with those race wins. 34 years of racing and cruising.

Yeah, ICON, well that's funny. I don't think of it as being an old boat but my beloved son Spike was in the yard when they baked it the first time in New Zealand. I gave him a trip to New Zealand as a graduation from high school present. He stayed for a while with Steve Martin and worked at the yard before going off on walkabout. Spike would have been 18 years old so that would make the build of ICON around 16 years ago. Boy the time does fly. I suppose you are right. By modern standards ICON is an old race boat now. I still expect it to do well though. I'd love a chance to red-do it with a new design.

P1010540_zps456f0082.jpg

By modern standards ICON is an old race boat now. I still expect it to do well though. I'd love a chance to red-do it with a new design.

I would love to see your re-interpretation of ICON in a modern design.

It may be 16 years old, but how is it NOT a modern design? I don't want to derail the NR thread, but I have a hard time imagining how a new ICON could be fit for the same purpose and look notably different if Bob drew her. Maybe I have an imagination problem.

Rols:

I would make significant hull shape changes to ICON if I drew it today. I like the general appearance of ICON though so I would be happy keeping that basic style.

Years ago I met Bill Lee and asked him how he was able to build each subsequent SC70 a little faster than the previous one.

I couldn't understand how he could realize any improvement - because each boat he built was seemingly to the best of his ability.

Where does new speed come from?

He wasn't very happy with my question...:)

Locally we had an early 80's boat named 'Eagle' designed and owned by Joe Byars. He was a former SORC winner from the 60's and a member of our club for years. She was of a style like NR, old S&S sort of look above the water with a sprit and boomkin, but modern underbody with fin keel, spade rudder, and kevlar/carbon I believe in her build. After Joe passed I do not know what happened to her.

Great story BP and look forward to more on NR.

92:

Not sure I'll write more on NIGHT RUNNER. I think I have said enough. I could add my own sailing impressions but Matt's emails provide good testimony to the sailing characteristics of NR from an objective source. I am biased.

I wonder if there's any other PNW boat that's been racing as consistently and long as Night Runner? I think the only time Doug missed a Swiftsure was when he was sailing around Cape Horn.

Sam:

I don't think so. But, I'll have to think on that for a while.

When I'd drive home from my Ballard office on Friday afternoons I'd often see NR heading out the north end of the marina for a weekend of cruising.

That always made me feel good.

Sam:

I don't think so. But, I'll have to think on that for a while.

When I'd drive home from my Ballard office on Friday afternoons I'd often see NR heading out the north end of the marina for a weekend of cruising.

That always made me feel good.

Lon Robinson with his Buchan 37 Gamin. Started in the 1960's and is still going out at age 98.

Lon is a legend really and I miss him up at Mink Is. when cruising in D Sound but then again I haven't trekked up there myself for awhile. I didn't know about Mara but it would might have been in earlier in Swiftsure's legacy. Winning it O.A. 3 times is quite a feat (on the same boat) and I believe only Coruba has won it O.A. 3 times in the modern era. Robbie & Zanne pretty much retired after that. A 3 peat of Swifture is very hard to do.

Peter Schmidt "Olympian" some time back with his Cal 40 and who knows what before then as he's in his 90's, and is still sailing like a S100 "Olympian III"

TOG

WHITE SQUALL has been racing for many years. MARA goes back to around 1965. Bob Liston owns it now I think and he still races it.

WHITE SQUALL has been racing for many years. MARA goes back to around 1965. Bob Liston owns it now I think and he still races it.

I was going to add Governor Teats and his White Squall to the list of long time sailor. Decades of racing out of the South Sound. Good to see it mentioned and still out there on the course.

Sailed a few times on Olympian back in the 70's when the local Cal 40 fleet had about 10 boats and held fleet races in Lake Union...which were pretty damn fun. It was the just about the most perfectly maintained Cal out there...but it helps when you own a boat yard.

To think that those boats used to be considered rocket ships shows how far we've come.

Not looking to steer the thread away from NR, but wondering how close 'Eclipse" was in design. She wasn't raced like NR(few were) but I always thought she was very easy on the eye. I always assumed that the design was close, just don't know how close.

Bcam:

ECLIPSE did some races. I did Pulley Point o it one year when we had a reach both ways and we smoked our class. People didn't know who we were, "Hey! We're racing!" My pleasure was beating Bruce Hedrick boat for boat on the brand new J 42. I think they did one TransPac. ECLIPSE has a very different keel planform and more deadrise amidships. Trickypig own ECLIPSE now.

Eclipsemotors_zps1be7e575.jpg

Great story on the FP. Ya, ya....I know - what FP are you speaking of? But "everyone" should read this. Great job Bob!

Locally we had an early 80's boat named 'Eagle' designed and owned by Joe Byars. He was a former SORC winner from the 60's and a member of our club for years. She was of a style like NR, old S&S sort of look above the water with a sprit and boomkin, but modern underbody with fin keel, spade rudder, and kevlar/carbon I believe in her build. After Joe passed I do not know what happened to her.

Hey, Hootie. The first job I was assigned to when I started working at Kiwi was lofting Eagle and building the plug. The lofting was tough, his drawings were terrible, a lot of straight lines, no table of offsets. No one could figure out his intent. At the time, Joe Byers owned a J-24, so I said fuck it I'll just make the underbody resemble a J-24. A few days later when I'd finished, Byers came by to look over the lofting, said it was exactly what he wanted.

A few people looked at buying Eagle when Joe died, but IDK who purchased it or where it went.

Funny. My hand drawn lines were beautiful and very fair. I provided a lot of offsets. I often drew the IOR girth stations at 1.5" tom the foot to insure accuracy in those areas. This was critical in a Ton Class boat. But I had the benefit of learning that craft from Yves-Marie Tanton and he was a whizz at drawing lines. The first thing he taught me was how to draw an accurate grid. It's tougher than it sounds. I wanted to make sure the builder did not have to use his imagination when lofting my design.

Funny. My hand drawn lines were beautiful and very fair. I provided a lot of offsets. I often drew the IOR girth stations at 1.5" tom the foot to insure accuracy in those areas. This was critical in a Ton Class boat. But I had the benefit of learning that craft from Yves-Marie Tanton and he was a whizz at drawing lines. The first thing he taught me was how to draw an accurate grid. It's tougher than it sounds. I wanted to make sure the builder did not have to use his imagination when lofting my design.

Joe Byers was a Tampa real estate developer, long time sailor. He didn't design yachts professionally, just for himself. All his boats were 30'. Sprite (late 60s) and Raven (early 70s) were MORC Maxis, and very successful. Falcon (mid 70s) was attempt at a 30' One Ton, and slow. He sailed a J-24 for a couple years in the late 70s, then in 80s designed Eagle as a PHRF "rule-beater". Meant to look old-fashioned, but go fast. It was a pretty good boat, but Raven was probably his most successfull.

Two things Joe Byers was noted for... about '63 or so he was delivering his Nielson 39' cb yawl to Newport for the Bermuda race, and was caught in a hurricane in the Gulfstream off Hatteras. Boat was rolled twice, dismasted, and heavily damaged. Crew survived (but injured) and the CG towed them into Charleston. They repaired the boat and were able to make the Bermuda Race start... got 3rd in class, iirc. He had won the SORC overall two previous years. Mid-sixties, he invented the Blooper, but called it the Tampa Bay Surfer. Hoisted an old drifter upside down outside the spin sheet. Later had a sail made specifically for that. AFAIK, thats the first use of a blooper.

Hey, Hootie. The first job I was assigned to when I started working at Kiwi was lofting Eagle and building the plug. The lofting was tough, his drawings were terrible, a lot of straight lines, no table of offsets. No one could figure out his intent. At the time, Joe Byers owned a J-24, so I said fuck it I'll just make the underbody resemble a J-24. A few days later when I'd finished, Byers came by to look over the lofting, said it was exactly what he wanted.

A few people looked at buying Eagle when Joe died, but IDK who purchased it or where it went.

The last I saw of Eagle was when she was for sale, at Snead Island, IIRC. That was several months after he passed and the boat left DI. I have searched for her and nothing comes-up other than a few race result articles. The J-24 description was what I was told about her way back. Lots of interesting boats came from the Kiwi shed out in the strawberry fields.

First time I saw Charley Morgan was going down the dock on a Thursday night as he was heading out to Eagle. She was almost always in the money it seems like back in the day. And as noted in your next post Falcon was an odd looking boat, with her 'Orca' (from Jaws) style bowsprit. I think her cabin trunk was old school looking like Eagle's.

BP, I think you would have some appreciation for Joe's style, old school look but modern underbodies.

-First in Division 2009 and 2011 Van Isle 360 International Yacht Race

Hate to rain on the parade, but Nightrunner was 14th in 2009 and 8th in 2011.

ZY:

I think you are correct. I'll cancel the parade and pull the entire NR story and re-write it. Ha!

And I'll order the pitchforks and torches!

I'll edit my blog but I can't edit the front page. If my blog hits are any evidence the theory that no one reads the front page is not accurate.

My blog entry is now edited. Thanks ZY for you data. Front page re-print will have to stand as is. I'm sure it is just a date confusion.

35 hits shy of my all time blog record today. Thanks Scot and Alan.

You keep writing 'em, and we'll keep sending people to 'em. Great work, and as a lifelong Steinbeck freak (I once spent a winter following his course in the Log from the Sea of Cortez), I really did mean that comparison.

Thanks Alan. I always saw myself as more of a Jack London kind of guy though. Now I have to read some Steinbeck. I knew his son. He was a bit of a jerk. He built a 60' ferro boat in Seattle. I dog sat his nice big dog, Juneau.

Is the Sea of Cortez boat still up there in PNW? Last I heard it had sunk twice, owner wanted to cut it up and put the wheelhouse in a mall, and a group was trying to purchase and restore it.

Thanks Alan. I always saw myself as more of a Jack London kind of guy though. Now I have to read some Steinbeck. I knew his son. He was a bit of a jerk. He built a 60' ferro boat in Seattle. I dog sat his nice big dog, Juneau.

This world is almost always very small, especially when you add dogs into it!

Start with Tortilla Flats and The Log. I've always felt Steinbeck was at his most pure when writing nonfiction and his earlier fiction.

Well, in the interest of confirming Bob's FP post, Night Runner did indeed out-run the Cookson 12 on that Swiftsure. Although, not quite by a full knot... just a little bit of normal sailor's inflation there.

In their defense, the Cookson was at the time in full IRC optimization for heavy air with fractional, minimal girth kites...having just done rather well in breezy Sydney Hobart and Kenwood Cup under its previous ownership. Since corrected with masthead kites and penalty pole.

Still, no question, NR slides downhill with the best of them. That big black kite is always a threatening sight.

And Steinbeck could write the heck out of a story.

This world is almost always very small, especially when you add dogs into it!

Start with Tortilla Flats and The Log. I've always felt Steinbeck was at his most pure when writing nonfiction and his earlier fiction.

I'd recommend Tortilla Flats and Cannery Row for starters. The Log is good, but it drags in spots... might not want that for a starter. Of Mice and Men and GoW are excellent, but a really heavy trip... save for later also.

I've been following the Night Runner story with pleasure. What a great boat and owner. I did the Van Isle 360 back in 2009 and have vivid memories of Night Runner running from Cape Scott to Winter Harbor with their big black chute up. I believe they won that leg and then went on to win their division. The Van Isle is still my favorite race.

Thanks Mo. I am doing some research into those results. I have never done that race but I'd like to.

Bob, I know Night Runner is planning on doing the 2015 Van Isle. Doug likes "experienced" crew.

Mo: I can't come up with any sterling results for NR in the Van Isle race. I out my best man on it and he came up blank. I may have been thinking Straights race.

I'm losing my memory aaaahhhhhhhhh!

Has anyone seen my car keys?

Ahhh... an advanced case of CRS. I know that feeling.

The first sign of old age is forgetfullness.

The second sign is....

...uhhh....

...mmmm....

...Shit, I can't remember.

Mo: I can't come up with any sterling results for NR in the Van Isle race. I out my best man on it and he came up blank. I may have been thinking Straights race.

A new study says low levels of testosterone in older men may lead to Alzheimer's disease.

Ironically, in younger men high levels of testosterone can also render the brain completely useless.

A new study says low levels of testosterone in older men may lead to Alzheimer's disease.

Ironically, in younger men high levels of testosterone can also render the brain completely

useless.

My theory is that with a fixed amount of blood in the body, a boner causes a shortage of blood to the brain.

Ahhh... an advanced case of CRS. I know that feeling.

The first sign of old age is forgetfullness.

The second sign is....

...uhhh....

...mmmm....

...Shit, I can't remember.

The first sign of old age is your legs going

The second sign is the loss of your sex drive

The third sign is...... I can't remember what the third one is.

Ironically, in younger men high levels of testosterone can also render the brain completely

useless.

My theory is that with a fixed amount of blood in the body, a boner causes a shortage of blood to the brain.

That was one of Robin Williams best lines - "God gave man a brain and a penis but not enough blood to run both at the same time."

http://blog.anacortesyachtclub.org/2010/12/2011-van-isle-360-registration-open.html

Did a lot of looking around but this is the best that I could do. I couldn't find anything official but I know the trophy is above Doug Fryer's fireplace. 2009 is kind of lost in the archives. Don't worry about those keys!

It's a great story about Night Runner and too bad it's gone down this path, but in the interest of accuracy Soliton posted the link to all of the cumulative results and Van Isle appears to be the one race NR has never actually performed that well cumulatively. Maybe Mo is remembering the Ucelet to Victoria leg that NR did win in 2011.

Leg results available here: http://www.vanisle360.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/

Do you think any of this race result wanking by little people with only negativity to contribute has anything to do with the quality of NIGHT RUNNER? (Hand to forehead)

Wait,,,,wait,,,,I need a Shakespeare quote right now.

I think I have it:

" Hide not the poison with such sugared words."

Do you think any of this race result wanking by little people with only negativity to contribute has anything to do with the quality of NIGHT RUNNER? (Hand to forehead)

Wait,,,,wait,,,,I need a Shakespeare quote right now.

I think I have it:

" Hide not the poison with such sugared words."

Totally agree. What on earth does it matter after three decades of racing hard, always being competitive and winning pretty often?

Get you noses out of the archives folks and just applaud a great boat and dedicated owner. (That samson post on the bow, though, that is a knee killer.)

Bob - I respect you very much and love the story, and much of your writing. I hope you are lumping me into your "little people" comment. You had said you couldn't find the results, so I posted a link. Maybe I didn't express myself well, but I was genuinely surprised at the results I found (except the 1st place in the leg I posted - that I expected).

I am challenged by remembering what I had for breakfast 3 days ago-- race results memories over 3 decades I could care less about as far as 100% accuracy--- move on folks

Love the story about this sailboat and the sailors on her and all the rest that goes with it---

I was on NR in 2009. First in Division 2. Doug has the trophy and large yellow flag.

JM

Thanks Jollymon. If you show up at my shack on Sunday night I will feed you braise ox tail.

Jsoup, no problem. I was worried that you might take my post wrong. You show up on Sunday and have some braised ox tail too.

Thanks Bob. We spent a lot of time, too much(!) around Night Runner in a much faster rated boat throughout the years.

I was on NR in 2009. First in Division 2. Doug has the trophy and large yellow flag.

JM

I raced against NR in 2011 and remember winning that pretty clearly. I checked the vi360 site to see if it was just the wrong year, 2001 vs 2011, but they don't have NR winning any of the years. Maybe the results they have online are just all wrong for 2009?

D1- 1) SomeThing Wicked 2) Icon 3) Kairos
D2- 1) Night Runner 2) Myrrh 3) Zorra
Elapsed: DFly over Icon by about :42

xyzzy,

Here are the 2009 results from a post from that year. It was a small fleet with only 2 divisions and Dragonfly. The results on the website for that year are wrong.

JM

So, this was bothering me, so I looked at those referenced results a little closer and noted that the elapsed times didn't make sense, then I checked the Wayback Machine (Google it) and found the actual website from late August 2009. Once I got to that page it was clear that Night Runner did indeed win their division that year (I didn't bother to look at 2011 but am confident they won then too). I don't know how to copy a link from the wayback machine, but did copy this from that page:

In Div. 2 it was the wooden Bob Perry designed, Night Runner, skippered by Doug Fryer of Anacortes WA., who, refusing to leave the podium, hung in there to secure First Place Overall in the event by a mere 3 points (523). The only other woodie in the event, Myrrh, a Jesperson 30 skippered by Michael Kalahar from Port Angeles, Wa., came Second Overall (520). Myrrh's spectacular performance especially in light airs ensured them a podium position. In Third Place Overall was Zorra, skippered by Jim Lowry of Seattle, who through perserverance and hard work climbed up through the standings and secured their spot (515).

WTF!! Night Runner is legendary and all this piss ant bullshit about when and where is small brain wipers of other peoples bottoms wishing they could carry Doug or Bob's luggage. There you have it from...

the captain

Well not to be lost in the discussion, but when Night Runner won her division in 2009 the average age of the crew was over 60. Old age and deception beats youth and enthusiasm. Wait, Night Runner's crew is enthusiastic so it's no wonder they do well. That plus Fryer can smell a back eddy from about three miles away, he's uncanny with reading current.

I think someone should make a shirt that says

'Night Runner gives me wood!"

I'll buy one

I raced last years VanIsle360 and had the pleasure of meeting the gang from Night Runner. What a great bunch of guys and what a fantastically beautiful yacht! Just to see her on the race course was superb!

I tried to post a pic but can't. Can someone put a pic on this thread?

V-Max:

Many thanks for the kind words.

If you go to my web sight you can email me the photo and I can post it from my photobucket. I'm a whizz at this stuff. Sort of.

Bob,

I posted the results with no commentary and think the boat is awesome (with a cheater rating of course...it won too much). I came inches from buying a Valiant 40 and planned to do the RTW cruise. It haunts that I didn't. You are an epic NA.

The best to to you from someone who contributed for Spike.

Soliton:

I'll get back to you this weekend when I feel like typing. I have a lot to say about that.

Many thanks for contributing. We can talk this weekend.

V-Max:

Many thanks for the kind words.

If you go to my web sight you can email me the photo and I can post it from my photobucket. I'm a whizz at this stuff. Sort of.

Sent! Thanks!

Night Runner story from the 2013 VanIsle 360:

I sailed the 2013 VanIsle 360 with V-Max aboard the J/32 Blue Jay. With a bunch of Nova Scotians on board, we were unfamiliar with the Night Runner prowess in the Pacific Northwest. However, after a couple of light air legs out of Nanaimo, we took note of the seemingly paradoxic light air performance of this funny looking cruising boat. She quickly earned the affectionate handle of "Big Woody" among the Blue Jay crew.

On leg 3 coming out of Comox, we got a cracking start on Blue Jay and were mixing it up for the first hour with boats who owed us at least 50 PHRF points....until we looked back and saw Big Woody trucking up on us, her bowsprit trained directly at the little J's transom. We promptly got rolled to windward and spat out the back of the fleet to where we belonged. But, we all agreed it was worth it to watch that beautiful boat charging through the water....impressive indeed!

Congratulations on a great design Bob. Truly a timeless vessel.