• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
GC Sailor

Corsair Pulse 600

Looks like Corsair is the latest builder onboard with the " Less is More " concept. Could be as much fun as the Sprint 750 but much easier to use. Any real photos or price info ?

I just googled Corsair Pulse 600 trimaran and got pretty much nothing. The Corsair website has a single drawing of the plan view and nothing else. IF you click on Pulse 600 it takes you to the Sprint 750 MKII

WTF

Are there any other images, line drawings, specs anywhere? Help a tech retard out, will ya.

Here ya go........

Corsair Pulse 600

Cheers!!!

-MH

I just googled Corsair Pulse 600 trimaran and got pretty much nothing. The Corsair website has a single drawing of the plan view and nothing else. IF you click on Pulse 600 it takes you to the Sprint 750 MKII

WTF

Are there any other images, line drawings, specs anywhere? Help a tech retard out, will ya.

More multi 23s would be sailing if there was a gold option. This one is kinda small

looks nice!

those who asked for a bigger Weta, here it is

scaling it, should be around what, 35 K USD*? (never seen a figure, this is my guesstimate)

* gold option NOT included

Looks nice Corsair. Love the Weta and the OD fleets but its a bit small. And no way I am paying $80K or more for an F22 which is very nice but basically a daysailer that will never get OD fleets in US in my opinion because of the price, delivery schedule, etc...

So here we have a right sized simple boat that you in theory can produce in numbers and should be affordable to race (3 sails; no sprit) so please tell me Corsair that its right priced.

And please tell me you Corsair will do what Weta did (or J-boats w the 70) and really push and support OD racing with it from beginning to end.

I've about given up and planning to return to cruising and then you offer this glimmer of hope.

I was not even planning on going to the Naps show. Is this more than a wet dream? Will there be a boat there?

looks nice!

those who asked for a bigger Weta, here it is

scaling it, should be around what, 35 K USD*? (never seen a figure, this is my guesstimate)

* gold option NOT included

With a new Sprint 750 coming it at a "real world" $80k usd, and the Dash $90k usd, my best guess is that the Pulse 600 will end up being in the $45k-$50k+ usd range, once you include things like the sails, trailer and motor.

*....and that's NOT even for the gold option. ;)

-MH

It really does look like that searail - it makes sense that they may think it would sell better under the Cosair name.

As much as I like my Sprint, I could be tempted because I want to start going to FL for a couple months each winter and this would be easy to trailer down there. Also, I keep my Sprint on a mooring but am always worried about pulling it out if a hurricane approaches....this would make pulling the boat a really easy job!

When I really think about my sailing it's all day sailing and it's 70% solo, 20% with 2 of us, and maybe the final 10% or less taking 1 or 2 others for a ride.

The other negative is that I'm sure we well get much wetter - but we'll have to dress for the occasion.

This is what the F22 was originally supposed to be, an entry level tri - Farrier Tramp reborn. F22 immediately grew to 23' loa and then developed into a 21st century F24. It is now a long way from entry level. I don't know what the 600 will cost but entry level needs to be well under $50k with "the lot".

6m is 'just right' and look at those floats, remind you of cat hulls? Just right for sailing on. It does need float rudders.

That is one sexy little tri. Just a little too little for me, now 7m I could live with. love the M23 size, light weight and cost, but for me no gold option pretty much rules it out.

after a little thought of "what would I do with it that I don´t with the weta", I just throw out things I´d like to know, in case they are reading :

- will it have reef point/s

- can floats be opened/closed in the water

- will it be possible to raise the main while motoring

- will I still need to wear a wetsuit in 10-15C weather

- is it true that the gold option will only be available in the middle east

and

- what would I do with it that I don´t with the weta?

I agree that this boat looks very comparable to the SeaRail 19.

Why isn't the SeaRail 19 selling better? Why will the Pulse 600 sell any better?

VMG,

I wonder if that is because of how they are (not) marketed.

Why could this not do what Weta or J70s or J80s have done? I think of all the J70s sold in Annapolis alone and all the sailors that jumped on them because they knew there would be a fun OD fleet racing. How is a Pulse 600 or Searail not 1/2 the price (twice as affordable), twice as much fun, three time as fast, and five time easier to trailer, yada, yada, yada, compared to a J70.

But these tris are marketed and supported differently than the J70 or Weta. There is no company behind any of them (not just Corsair) - never mind the fact that they are not in town or any town that you could launch an OD fleet from (but this did not stop Weta from doing it successfully) - that promotes and supports and will stand and fight for OD racing and build from that base. Even if they said they would I doubt anyone would believe; they would have to see it. Look at the F28 history. Weta has come closest in terms of supporting and building from an OD racing base and they seem to have done OK.

Wess

I think F18's and Corsair Pulse 600 are a different market not sure it will be a viable market though. It could be a nice modern replacement for the Tramp I'm not sure if they were a commercial success though.

Because an F18 would do exactly the same with less hastle

I don't know about that. Maybe I am wrong but I think of the F18 like an M20 and the C600 or Searail like a J70. One is a bit more accessible - skill wise - for the average weekend warrier. The Weta is more accessible still perhaps.

Maybe I am off base but it just seems like they were given a glimpse of what might have been with the Corsair F28 and instead ran the other way (away from racing as a base to grow from).

I likely am wrong. They hopefully know more about their market than I do LOL.

IMO one reason the small, open tris haven't flown is because of price.

Weta is about $14k USD. Many people find this expensive when a new Laser is about 1/2 that price (AFAIK). But, it is cheap enough for the amount of boat you get that the fleet has grown to over 1000 boats world wide.

With a SeaRail or Pulse, one gets a boat that is 4' longer for about 2.5x the price. The SeaRail and Pulse can't do much more than a Weta, albeit they are much more comfortable for sailing with crew, and yet they are exponentially more expensive.

It will take a very aggressive marketing effort to overcome that hurdle. I don't think it can be done.

Just call me "NaySayer."

•Spin/reacher tacked to the bow. Not even a short sprint

Hey Corsair, This was the way the Multi 23 was originally configured. And one of the first modifications owners began making was to add a Sprit.

-MH

short, light fast boat needs flat sails, but that makes the boat really slow in the light, so you need the extra ponies of the code 0.

Downwind, similar story, without a prod you end up reaching to the moon with the small kite in the light.

IMO one reason the small, open tris haven't flown is because of price.

Weta is about $14k USD. Many people find this expensive when a new Laser is about 1/2 that price (AFAIK). But, it is cheap enough for the amount of boat you get that the fleet has grown to over 1000 boats world wide.

With a SeaRail or Pulse, one gets a boat that is 4' longer for about 2.5x the price. The SeaRail and Pulse can't do much more than a Weta, albeit they are much more comfortable for sailing with crew, and yet they are exponentially more expensive.

It will take a very aggressive marketing effort to overcome that hurdle. I don't think it can be done.

Just call me "NaySayer."

yes that is my same thought.

comparing to a weta, it would be more comfortable, you can carry a motor, you can carry more stuff, and... and... for daysailing it doesn´t seem to be that much of a difference.

On the other side, you loose the easy handling getting on/off the water. So, I hope someone explains the case better. I get that if you want to do some kind of overnighter that´s were a big difference would be

I think(?) that nature of the Corsair 600 is such that there are lots of races that would allow it entry that would not allow a Weta. Could be wrong but seems like more of a dinghy thing vs a boat thing.

I can't race my Laser in (most) PHRF races.

Anyway, I would think the Corsair could gain entry to events the Weta could not (and visa versa).

Regardless, sorry for the tangent, I just wish something would replace the Corsair F28 class as an OD multihull platform and do things like KWRW or CRW, etc... The F28 clas had just reached the stage - I recall serious long time monohull racers coming back to Naps ater a KWRW and talking about how cool those boats were and getting a class going in Naps - but alas this was about the time that the F28 imploded as a class. Seems like it was held together by one guy instead of the mfg and so when he went cruising the class went to h*ll. I doubt its where they are headed and just wishful thinking on my part, but I had hopes that Corsair had serious OD plans for this boat.

I think(?) that nature of the Corsair 600 is such that there are lots of races that would allow it entry that would not allow a Weta. Could be wrong but seems like more of a dinghy thing vs a boat thing.

I can't race my Laser in (most) PHRF races.

Anyway, I would think the Corsair could gain entry to events the Weta could not (and visa versa).

Regardless, sorry for the tangent, I just wish something would replace the Corsair F28 class as an OD multihull platform and do things like KWRW or CRW, etc... The F28 clas had just reached the stage - I recall serious long time monohull racers coming back to Naps ater a KWRW and talking about how cool those boats were and getting a class going in Naps - but alas this was about the time that the F28 imploded as a class. Seems like it was held together by one guy instead of the mfg and so when he went cruising the class went to h*ll. I doubt its where they are headed and just wishful thinking on my part, but I had hopes that Corsair had serious OD plans for this boat.

interesting thought Wess, I would like to race, but there are no Wetas nor mixed fleet dinghy races around here, only OD and 4ktsb PHRF. But then again, for the Pulse to enter, you would probably need a multihull division in your PHRF fleet, right?

Wess,

I agree with you on this, and have even tried to talk to Richard and Zam about it for the Sprint 750 MKII, as it is the PERFECT boat for OD class racing.

Unfortunately, Corsair is just too small a company to be able to put something together like J-Boats or Melges can do.

Couple that with the real-world $80K usd price, for what is effectively a 24' day sailor and you can see the problem.

-MH

I hear you MH. I was hoping the 600 was closer to SeaRail pricing. Have not seen pricing on the 600 but yea, at $80 it would be DOA for OD racing or much of anything I would think. Then a J70 is a very very easy decision.

At the $35K of the SeaRail I really wonder if it could get traction but that and a dime will get you no-where! And alas, but Corsair does not have people in the right places or that are willing to support this with time, nevermind $s. Look where the J70 fleets are. Look where Weta is not. Look where there are lots and lots of racers and clubs. There are some obvious places to launch such a platform (if its priced right and they would commit to support the racing).

I mean in Naps there are folks spending $15K or so for a new Snipe. Designed when? But its a great fleet with great people and great racing. I often take my OD dinghy racing (and/or OD monohull racing) friends out racing on our F27. The response is almost always the same... DANG what a fun boat to sail, and WOW the racing for multihulls (limited to wide band rating racing) SUCKS.

Just seems like a void waiting to be filled but ain't nobody doing it so I must be missing something.

^

Just a point of clarification: MH indicates that the Sprint 750 MK II costs $80k. Pulse price has not been revealed yet. BTW: What does a new J70 go for?

You won't get OD racing in large fleets with trimarans they are too expensive to build, three hulls are dearer than two hulls which are dearer than one hull, unfortunate but true. There are many new small tris coming out who are struggling to get traction with numbers, I wish them well, but when people complain about the base price being too high most haven't seen the time mainly and the materials secondly that go into the construction of one, then you need promotion, dealer networks, dealer and factory support and then have money backing to start and support till it gets going, BIG CALL!

This is just Corsair testing the waters. Waiting for the beach cat sailors to get sick of being uncomfortable, older and of higher means. Like most computer renderings, it probably won't go anywhere. This is a very difficult size trimaran to get off of the computer screen and onto the water.

This boat will need to come in around US$20k, US$ 25k sail away, boats shipped off the shelf and the economy booms. Otherwise it'll stay on the computer.....

This is just Corsair testing the waters. Waiting for the beach cat sailors to get sick of being uncomfortable, older and of higher means. Like most computer renderings, it probably won't go anywhere. This is a very difficult size trimaran to get off of the computer screen and onto the water.

This boat will need to come in around US$20k, US$ 25k sail away, boats shipped off the shelf and the economy booms. Otherwise it'll stay on the computer.....

You won't get OD racing in large fleets with trimarans they are too expensive to build, three hulls are dearer than two hulls which are dearer than one hull, unfortunate but true. There are many new small tris coming out who are struggling to get traction with numbers, I wish them well, but when people complain about the base price being too high most haven't seen the time mainly and the materials secondly that go into the construction of one, then you need promotion, dealer networks, dealer and factory support and then have money backing to start and support till it gets going, BIG CALL!

Comparing this to a F/C 28R is like comparing a J24 (one-design) to a Farr 40 (one design). Also ridiculous to compare to F18. This is not a OTB tri competing for market share with OTB cats. It is a step up from the WETA which does not compete with OTB cats of similar length. This is a boat for people who want to sail a tri, not a cat. Yeah silly I know, I have owned cats from 24' - 39' and a 24' tri. I will never own another tri. But there are many out there who are just the opposite.

The Corsair Sprint would be a great one-design racing option if it cost $40k. What will a Sprint do that this 600 won't?

If people are spending $14k on a new Weta then I reckon they will pay $30k for this. If Corsair can make a profit selling it for that - bingo. At 60k - forget it.

As for $90k for a Dash - you can get a good second hand Raider 30 for that.

^

Just a point of clarification: MH indicates that the Sprint 750 MK II costs $80k. Pulse price has not been revealed yet. BTW: What does a new J70 go for?

The number I usually hear is about $60K reasonably kitted out for the J70. As low as $50 or as high as $70 depending. Rather shocking if you consider what you get in terms of boat for that price. But they located staff and supported the boat in towns like Naps and it took off because it was faster than the typical monohull, didn't need 10 crew, was accessible to the weekend warrier, and you knew J-boats would be there to support an OD fleet which was the point afterall.

Don't entirely agree w Nuddy but I think he is right about the pricing. If you can get one fully kitted for close to $30K and they put people in towns where the boat could get OD traction and do the things so it would get OD traction, they could do what Weta has done at that price. Weta folks seem to come from a combo of bigger tri owners who got sick of the crap racing for that class, some beach cat folks with less experience looking for an affordable accessible option and just a few PHRF monhull or OD dinghy folks sick of hiking. What they don't seem to get is the hard core OD monohull at all or OD dinghy racers in mass. My point was that the Corsair F28 got to the stage where those folks were talking about it and expressing serious interest just about the same time the class tanked. The talk stated with the sport boats guys (I think they were on the same circle at KWRW) but it spread and caught fire with the OD monohull folks as well. Maybe it was just a local thing but it was the first time I ever saw the anyone but the engineer/speed freak (screw OD make it faster) folks (said w love I get it) talk seriously about the boats and getting a local OD class going.

Hey MoMP, its already off the computer screen (and maybe even out of the mold) AFAIK.

Anyway, all this talk matters not. It will be what it will be.

Good luck to them all. I don't care which one get a local OD start I just wish one of them would...

Picture of the mold in their factory ain't a computer rendering.....I still think it's the searail mold, though.

I agree that under 30K is prob the magic number. It certainly can be built and sold for that, but it's the old chicken and egg thing- they'd have to price it like they were gonna sell 100+ per year.

The only other boat in a similar size I know of is the windrider, which is a cool piece of technology but not a big seller - still, it does sell. I rented one a few times and sailed in in big winds and fairly big chop. It works better when you rig it so you can get out on the tramp and control it - the in-the-hull seating is a bitch on my back (I find the same with kayaks - just don't like that position).

Nuddy, explain to me what a 6m open trimaran does that a 5.5 or 6m beachcat doesn't, especially something that the $10-$15K price difference won't get over

I'm struggling with my 'ridiculous' label!

Paul

Paul,

At least in my neck of the woods (and I suspect many other areas), the Corsair 600 - just like the F22 - would be allowed entry into many races that would be closed to the beach cats. I am not arguing right or wrong; just is. I think...

Wess

Nuddy, explain to me what a 6m open trimaran does that a 5.5 or 6m beachcat doesn't, especially something that the $10-$15K price difference won't get over

I'm struggling with my 'ridiculous' label!

Paul

It will go slower. It will be heavier. It will have an outboard motor. It will be suitable for family daysailing, picnics, at anchor or rafted up with similar or bigger cats and tri's, it will be much less physically demanding to sail than a OTB cat. It will do everything a Sprint does and be even easier to sail, rig and launch than a Sprint. Remember the Tramp. Remember the SeaWind 24. Would you compare either of those to a OTB cat?

I see the demographic as:

Beach cat and sail board sailors wanting more comfort.

45+ in age.

Upper middle class.

Beach area clubs

Clubs with "less expensive" classes already existing. Easier to convince them to leave one class for another.

I'd like to see it work out. I might be in the market for a used one In a few years.....

I see the demographic as:

Beach cat and sail board sailors wanting more comfort.

45+ in age.

Upper middle class.

Beach area clubs

Clubs with "less expensive" classes already existing. Easier to convince them to leave one class for another.

I'd like to see it work out. I might be in the market for a used one In a few years.....

Exactly.

I would love to sail A Class but I am way beyond that physically. Own a sprint, way too expensive for what you get, bought S/H. $80k spend on a new one is out of the question for someone like me. Someone in my position would buy one of these second hand (when they get there) for say $20k and be very happy.

Personally I am a cat person. Tried a Tri and am happy to be back to a cat. I was fortunate to find a 30' 1 tonne racing cat at a price I could manage.

I sailed a Farrier/Haines Hunter Super Tramp (Eagle in USA) for 7 years, and more recently an Ostac Tramp, I bought it originally because it can carry at least six people in cruising form with room to spare, I also race it, usually single handed, because I can ! It is surprisingly quick ( racing rig is a bit hot-rodded though) It is 5.94 metres long, I can rig it in half an hour on my own, launch it on my own, or I can take the entire family out for the day, tow it without owning a truck, store it in the back yard easily. I can overnight on it with the cockpit tent set up. take short offshore day trips in suitable weather conditions,safely, because it is quick enough to out run most storms and extremely forgiving in heavy going. Im 52 years old still light and fit, could sail a skiff or f18 etc, but then wouldn't have all of the above options, considered buying a locally for sale sprint 750 but decided it was a needless complication of what is currently champagne sailing on a beer budget, due to extra hands required to rig and sail,vehicle upgrade, storage space etc.

Not sure that most of this is doable on a OTB cat, weta or windrider, the only draw back of the open cockpit daysailer is lack of shelter on hot sunny days,or on wet days,and can be wet on rough days, just like an OTB cat.

The racer in me likes the look of the 600, but I'm thinking a bowsprit will be needed, keep it under 30k I'm in!

4 wheels are dearer than 2 wheels, and yet there is a huge market for cars.

I hear you MH. I was hoping the 600 was closer to SeaRail pricing. Have not seen pricing on the 600 but yea, at $80 it would be DOA for OD racing or much of anything I would think. Then a J70 is a very very easy decision.

At the $35K of the SeaRail I really wonder if it could get traction but that and a dime will get you no-where! And alas, but Corsair does not have people in the right places or that are willing to support this with time, nevermind $s. Look where the J70 fleets are. Look where Weta is not. Look where there are lots and lots of racers and clubs. There are some obvious places to launch such a platform (if its priced right and they would commit to support the racing).

I mean in Naps there are folks spending $15K or so for a new Snipe. Designed when? But its a great fleet with great people and great racing. I often take my OD dinghy racing (and/or OD monohull racing) friends out racing on our F27. The response is almost always the same... DANG what a fun boat to sail, and WOW the racing for multihulls (limited to wide band rating racing) SUCKS.

Just seems like a void waiting to be filled but ain't nobody doing it so I must be missing something.

Here's the problem with this boat, and why it won't sell:

A new, fully loaded with trailer F18 is $25-$28K. A new Nacra 17 is $29K before trailer. I highly doubt you'll get an open tramp trimaran out the door for under $50K, plus the cost of the trailer. At that price there are a lot of used boats that become much more attractive, with actual protection from the weather. All this boat offers over my F18 is 1/2 the speed, twice the cost, twice the rigging hassel and a set of cupholders. I would buy a J/70 over this; large OD class, local Naptown fleet, and great dealer support for the class.

Lets ask another question, why are your friends racing Snipes? It's 100% because of the class assocation, people, and accessbility. We have 5x F18's on the Chesapeake now, a great, great used boat can be had for the same cost as a new Snipe and trapezing is much less physically demanding than hiking.

A new, fully loaded with trailer F18 is $25-$28K. A new Nacra 17 is $29K before trailer. I highly doubt you'll get an open tramp trimaran out the door for under $50K, plus the cost of the trailer. At that price there are a lot of used boats that become much more attractive, with actual protection from the weather. All this boat offers over my F18 is 1/2 the speed, twice the cost, twice the rigging hassel and a set of cupholders. I would buy a J/70 over this; large OD class, local Naptown fleet, and great dealer support for the class.

Lets ask another question, why are your friends racing Snipes? It's 100% because of the class assocation, people, and accessbility. We have 5x F18's on the Chesapeake now, a great, great used boat can be had for the same cost as a new Snipe and trapezing is much less physically demanding than hiking.

I am shocked at the price of new OTB cats. Why isn't everyone sailing 20 year old Nacra 5.8s?

Trapezing is less demanding than hiking. I quit hiking in 1982. I quit trapezing in 1994. The market for this boat is for people who don't want to, or can't hike or trapeze.

It is ridiculous to compare this to F18. Like comparing a Toyota Landcruiser to a Subaru Impreza WRX.

Buyers of this might be ex OTB sailors who no longer want to trapeze of hike but can't tolerate the inefficiency of a keelboat.

If you'd but a J/70 why aren't you sailing a laser.

True, if it costs $50k + trailer it won't sell, People would buy a s/h sprint instead.

I am shocked at the price of new OTB cats. Why isn't everyone sailing 20 year old Nacra 5.8s?

Trapezing is less demanding than hiking. I quit hiking in 1982. I quit trapezing in 1994. The market for this boat is for people who don't want to, or can't hike or trapeze.

It is ridiculous to compare this to F18. Like comparing a Toyota Landcruiser to a Subaru Impreza WRX.

Buyers of this might be ex OTB sailors who no longer want to trapeze of hike but can't tolerate the inefficiency of a keelboat.

If you'd but a J/70 why aren't you sailing a laser.

True, if it costs $50k + trailer it won't sell, People would buy a s/h sprint instead.

Nuddy is spot on, especially this, in my case.

Of course if anybody is willing to trapeze AND pitchpole frequently AND depend on a crew AND has the necessary sailing ability to make an F18 go, would NEVER consider a comfy, more expensive and slower boat such as a big Weta.

There are other users that don´t want or can´t do any of that.

I do agree that the first group is more numerous than the second, and this is why everybody has doubts about this boat.

There's nothing I'd like more than to see a boat like this take off... But I doubt it will. Look at the numbers, for every 100 sailors, there is one racer, and for every 100 racers, there is one multi racer. How many mono racers switch to multis? That number is lower yet. Want cheap OD racing? get a lightning, or a thistle... The world just sucks sometimes.

If you compare the specs of the Weta compared to the Pulse 600, the Pulse 600 is about 2.5 times a Weta, maybe 3 at a push.

A Weta 2015 brand new costs A$17,500. A Pulse 600 must be less that $50,000 to be value for money. It should be closer to $40,000.

At the price I would buy one.

I want a very easy boat to sail, some thing I can take anywhere, launch anywhere and be eligible for racing in nearshore races.

Hopefully they respond to my enquiries.

Strange - they have "update pics" on their web site or FB about building the molds, etc...except that it seems impossible that the pics they are showing are of this unit! That is, they are BIG.......floats, etc.

http://sail.corsairmarine.com/development-update-on-the-pulse-600

vaporware?

I think a new style international 23 or seawind 24 would sell well. A box boat is 90k or something with zero capability of picnics etc. something with maybe space for a fridge & room for a quick lie down in the shade and a the space for a few spares to be kept on board would be essential in the 40-50k price range

Yep, that's a big ama. Very different shape from a Farrier. Big, fat stern, less rocker in the keel, more like a beach cat hull. It'll be interesting to see how that works out. Should be able to lift the main hull out without submerging.

If anyone thinks this boat is going to cost less than $35K ready to sail, they may want to put down the crack pipe. New F-18s are close to $30K ready to go with a trailer, and a trimaran has lot more hardware (and hulls) to deal with. My guess $35K base. Ready to sail about $45K.

Big floats is what you need on a tri in the 21st century. Catamaran hulls they must be. If you can't sail efficiently on 1 float you are going slow.

F-18s are ready to go for $30k because that is what the market will stand, not because that is what they cost to build. What's the market price of a 17? do they cost any more to build than a 18? No but the market will stand the price.

If the weta can be sold for $14k then a F-18 should be less than that. The rest is profit.

Based on $14k for the weta they should be able to make a profit on the Pulse at $20k

Sprint 24' - $80k C-28R (4'Longer) - $200k? Pulse 600 (4' shorter) $??? Weta (4' shorter again) $14k. Does the price double every 4 feet? No more than that.

16' - $14 K 20' - $28k - 24' $56k - No $80k 28' - $160k - no $200k.

Based on $14k for the weta they should be able to make a profit on the Pulse at $20k

Sprint 24' - $80k C-28R (4'Longer) - $200k? Pulse 600 (4' shorter) $??? Weta (4' shorter again) $14k. Does the price double every 4 feet? No more than that.

The cost of constructing a boat (a 3-dimensional object) is really more closely a function of volume not length. The price to the consumer is affected by a billions other things (development, market size, shipping, profit margin, taxes, etc.).

Corsair would never in a million years make a profit on the Pulse @ $20K. That's crazy talk right dar' boy.

The cost of constructing a boat (a 3-dimensional object) is really more closely a function of volume not length. The price to the consumer is affected by a billions other things (development, market size, shipping, profit margin, taxes, etc.).

Corsair would never in a million years make a profit on the Pulse @ $20K. That's crazy talk right dar' boy.

How do they make a profit on the Weta at $14k?

Seems to me you can compare volume to volume only if you are comparing like with like. There would be more volume in a Weta than a F17at more than twice the price. Probably about the same volume as the C20, what do they retail for.

When i sailed 470s you could buy a Laser II for half the price. They were making a profit on the Laser II.

Times have changed Nuddy. F18's are worth 30k because they can be sold for that price & people buy them. They aren't making 5k a boat. If they where, the next guy would do his sums & realise he could do it for $500 a boat & put the first guy out of business.

F18s are expensive because every 3 years you have to re-tool for a new shaped boat if you are going to stay near the front of the fleet.

The Weta isn't going to have to change shape in the near future, they can keep bashing them out of the same moulds.

If you want the factory to run class racing then they need to take as much money out of the boat as Hobie and Laser which is a huge part of the cost.

Then they can. ( there is more labor building an opti than a laser)

Of course that doesnt stop the builder from creating a set of OD rules that anyone can follow..

PS yes like it

step up from the beach cat for when the kids can swim rather than stay in on the beach but not the price jump to a sprint/dash

I would buy one if the price was right, though I would preferred a centreboard as I don't think of it as an outright racer.

It Potentially is a significant improvement on my current Magnum 21, and I would have bought one of these instead if it had been available 12months ago and the price was right.

It would be nice if it could beat a Weta around the bouys.

I got the pricing from Multihulls Central and it looks quite competitive and about the price I would pay, but I am yet to see the full list of inclusions in the "base boat" price. Boats are available mid 2015.

My question is will this boat be allowed to sail in typical near shore races, ie ISAF Cat 5 races?

Could it qualify for Cat 4 races with the right safety equipment?

Would it be allowed to race in the Australian Multihull nationals?

I would buy one if the price was right, ...........

nacrajon, what would you consider the right price?

I got the pricing from Multihulls Central and it looks quite competitive and about the price I would pay, but I am yet to see the full list of inclusions in the "base boat" price.

So,.........what is the mystery "base boat" price?

There is no reason for any secrecy, as the price is what it is, and they can't expect people to buy one without letting them know what it's going to cost. ;)

-MH

I would potentially pay to about 35k, if it was not in that price bracket I would be sticking to my current plan of upgrading to a F24mkII in about 2yrs time. I would prefer to buy a cheaper family boat version to do club races and a week beachcamping around the Whitsunday's than a R version.

I meet the suggested demographic above,

The Taipan 4.9 was too flighty as a family boat though it was fun club racing

At this stage I need a club racer, picnic boat, mobile swim platform for the kids and the ability to beachcamp for a week to two weeks at slightly offshore islands or a run up the coast behind the Great Barrier Reef.

I need to be able to tow and recover it with a 2.0 Lturbo diesel

I travel around Oz for work, I drag my boat around with me for weekends, 370kg is a good weight for towing, not to much

I need to be able to launch, sail it and recover single handed on a trailer and 20 ft is comfortable.

We have seen MOD 70s race, it's not the same thing, but my son can dream it is (possibly me as well)

I reckon I could potentially save 4hrs a week in set up time (if it has the Farrier fold) with this for set up over my demountable when I race twilight and the weekend.

F18s are expensive because every 3 years you have to re-tool for a new shaped boat if you are going to stay near the front of the fleet.

The Weta isn't going to have to change shape in the near future, they can keep bashing them out of the same moulds.

Same for the Pulse 600.

Times have changed Nuddy. F18's are worth 30k because they can be sold for that price & people buy them. They aren't making 5k a boat. If they where, the next guy would do his sums & realise he could do it for $500 a boat & put the first guy out of business.

You could easily make a F18 for much less but it would not be competitive.

Weta has nothing to compete with except other wetas. Pulse has nothing to compete with so it can be built down to a price, just like the Weta.

There are several boats that have chased the small, high performance trimaran niche. Motive 25, Seacart 26, Diam 24, Multi 23...

Then we have the searail 19, Trailer tris, Astus trimarans, Windriders.

I would love to see a 6.5m ish trimaran take off, but I think it won't come from a builder like corsair. Look at the huskey 6.5, which could be built for less than 10K. I would love to see a class like the i550, except the boat would be a trimaran.

http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com/p/mamacocha-first-husky-6.html

How much faster would the pulse be compared to the huskey 6.5? 30K faster? 40K FASTER?

lets take bets about the price

49999.99 without motor or trailer

Thor

There are several boats that have chased the small, high performance trimaran niche. Motive 25, Seacart 26, Diam 24, Multi 23...

Then we have the searail 19, Trailer tris, Astus trimarans, Windriders.

I would love to see a 6.5m ish trimaran take off, but I think it won't come from a builder like corsair. Look at the huskey 6.5, which could be built for less than 10K. I would love to see a class like the i550, except the boat would be a trimaran.

http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com/p/mamacocha-first-husky-6.html

How much faster would the pulse be compared to the huskey 6.5? 30K faster? 40K FASTER?

Good point. This size TRI has been chased but only won twice, that I can remember. F-24, which had a lead in by its big brother the F27. Also, the Tremolino. There was the Newick name, but that was only really appreciated by a tiny few. The boat was sold with performance promises that were met at a price point that was affordable. It was never sold as a race boat, but they've been extensively raced with success. They were able to meet a low price by only building one hull. They let Hobie Cat build the rest. It worked. In time evolved, became the T-Gull 23 and enjoyed further success. The biggest problem were the designer and builders were both seniors at this point, the economy crashed then the molds were stolen...

lets take bets about the price

49999.99 without motor or trailer

Thor

45 with trailer.....

I'll throw another one in the mix.

The guys at Ezifold in NZ are rebuilding/engineering a Crowther Buccaneer 24.

Two versions, a refreshed version of the original with longer wave piecing floats, Gull wing beams, smoothed out rear end and modern foils.

And a more radical version which is to be the house test mule.

See. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?v=timeline&id=212821925457790&_rdr

And. http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/buccaneer-24-builders-forum-28496-126.html

They have also taken over the distribution of the original plans from OldSailer7.

Either would be an awesome boat for the builders out there.

Searail 19 was advertised as US $30k landed in US for introductory pricing. This has more complicated fold mechanism, US $35k as intro pricing, no trailer basic sails.

You could easily make a F18 for much less but it would not be competitive.

Weta has nothing to compete with except other wetas. Pulse has nothing to compete with so it can be built down to a price, just like the Weta.

Agreed.

would be interesting to find out what a real sail ready boat and trailer will be if one of the reputable Corsair dealers sold it in the USA

Corsair says $33500 fob Vietnam.

Now add the following:

-Shipping: $3k

-Import Duty: $3.35k

-Sails: $5k

-Trailer: $3.5k

-Motor: $1k

-Sales Tax (Calif): $3.5k

TOTAL: $52.85k

.......about what I originally figured. ;)

-MH

I have been told as it is an OD boat it will come with sails. They are taking US$5k deposits now for delivery in May 2015. First boat is due to be launched in Feb 2015.

There's your theory proved right Nuddy. 3.5 x the price of a weta. Whilst its still half the price of an F22 I can't see it being successful at over $39k all in, motor, sails ( inc screecher ) trailer etc.

There's your theory proved right Nuddy. 3.5 x the price of a weta. Whilst its still half the price of an F22 I can't see it being successful at over $39k all in, motor, sails ( inc screecher ) trailer etc.

Agreed. I would buy a second hand sprint instead - if I wanted a tri.

If they do what it takes to launch and support it as an OD platform it could be IMHO. Not clear that they will be in the right places or do the right things to make that happen - not exactly Corsair's or their dealer network's historical strength. Nice folks and nice price; would love to see it succeed.

If they do what it takes to launch and support it as an OD platform it could be IMHO. Not clear that they will be in the right places or do the right things to make that happen - not exactly Corsair's or their dealer network's historical strength. Nice folks and nice price; would love to see it succeed.

Can't see it happening. Well at least not in AUS.