GC Sailor

Corsair Pulse 600

you've got a better chance getting the Multi 23 guys to invest in a folding mechanism.

I'm not sure what a" formula class" is. New term to me? The WETA began as a VERY strict OD. Now with new North American rules are approved, the allowed changes are FEW and I would argue that none of them change the performance of the boat. I am hard-pressed to think of a boat that is more restrictive than the Weta. With regard to the swirling discussion of sprit or no-sprit, I say let Corsair live with their decision as we should. Anyone old enough to remember the American rock-and-roll song from the 60's " Don't make me over " ? Happy Sailing!!

Hey Bob,

Yes A-cats are a development class and we don't disagree on the big picture. I also agree over time Corsair has done more to kill OD classes of their own boats than aid them. So in any event I think OD is unlikely and so doubt its the boat for me. But I can hope.

Maybe there is a different way to make my point...

Of the Laser, Snipe, Alberg 30, or F27, the boat I most love to sail is the F27. But by far its the worse class for racing. Am getting a bit old for dinghies and the kids head off the college so was thinking what is next for fun to daysail, easy to trailer, and has great racing without needing a large crew. So we looked long and hard at the J70. Its got everything I want except an affordable price. Bang for buck just sucks IMHO. Its PHFR rating (no plans to race PHRF but indicator of how powered up) is lower than my F27 but that had nothing to do with it. Sure it sails a bit slower but I would have given that up in a heart beat for solid OD racing.

So will the Pulse as drawn be slower than my F27? Maybe. Maybe even similar to the J70. But at $35K if it had the OD class that the J70 had I would buy it in a heart beat. I guess that many others would too.

* Would you?

Power it up like a Nacra 20 and I guess the boat would never get many converts. We have many multihull examples of that.

Everyone keeps making it about the sprit. Its not about that for me at all. I just want to see a boat that is as reasonably fun to sail as the Pulse is, as affordable as the Pulse is, as accessible to converts/cross-overs as the Pulse is, and as mfg supported for OD racing as the J70 is.

And yea, I get that last bit is a pipedream but I have a dream... :ph34r:

And a checkbook! :P

I gotta spend the kid's 529 on something :blink:

Hey Wess,

I do not know how many boats you would want on the starting line and how often you want to race, however I think there may be good news. At this early stage of discussion there are 4 people in this thread and someone else I know interested on the Pulse, who are within 4 hours drive. This means it would be relatively easy to get together for some races for the 5 of us. This is not even think about other people that may not be as outspoken as we are.

I really hope Corsair does the boat right (whatever that may mean) and we could get a good racing, cruising, partying group going. I also dream.

BTW, I may not be that good on the race course, however I can drink significantly at the after race parties :-)

Cheers,

Hi Vaplaya,

Racing wise in terms of numbers I would like to find something like a Snipe, Laser or J70 (or that potential) in that you can find racing up and down the east coast and usually a dozen or more boats out. One of the things about the fleets I have mentioned is not the absolute numbers, but a large and diverse enough in terms of talent, that just about anyone, at any level can come out and find somebody to race hard against and measure their own progress and success. I think that is important for fleet health, growth and sustainability. Even Weta, as far as its come is not at what I think of as critical mass and (I could easily be wrong about this) from what I hear the OD aspects are starting to suffer. Shame if so as I had such high hopes for that. Likely not the boat my wife would have joined me racing on but the Pulse is. Thinking it might be something that could be raced well double-handed especially w furling chute. That to me would be another huge positive selling factor.

Not sure of where you mean a 4 hour drive from but if I can help get anyone racing on the Chesapeake (Pulse or otherwise, beachcat or multihull) please reach out and In will try to get you in contact w the right folks.

I have been doing about 8-10 multihull races a year, and another 24 or so more casual weeknight mid-week series races. Many, many more in the Laser or Snipe. Its all scaling back now as I get older and the kids are heading off to college.

Finally, yes, if there really was a bunch of east coast folks really committed to OD on this and Corsair was too, I would be interested to join. Even more so if its realistic to race well double-handed husband and wife team

My F27 is up for sale sort of. Nothing really compelling IDed yet for next boat so not rushed to sell. Can always keep it as a toy.

But like I said if I can be of any help w local Ches racing please look me up. Happy to assist. Some good folks up here.

Cheers,

Wess

Hi Wess,

I sail with a great group of multihull sailors part of Hobie Fleet 32 in VA Beach; they are a great bunch. I race a BeachCat and a Weta. I have raced in the DC area, outer banks, VA Beach and SC. So I am willing to drive a few hours to race and drink. It is great fun.

For a while now, I have wanted to make sailing a family thing, instead of my thing. I would like a good performing (I need thrills) multihull that accommodates family sailing, is reasonably priced, and inexpensive to maintain. Not much out there that covers all that. I think there maybe a few more people in my shoes.

I have followed the F-22 development for years now, but at $70K sail away price, is way to rich for me. Corsair got my attention with the Pulse. Again, I think there maybe a few more people in my shoes.

If the Pulse becomes a reality for me, you would be the first to know as I would want to sail up there with you and KBCH20.

Cheers!

Colligo Marine put up a picture a while back which I cant find now that suggested that the waterstays for the Pulse 600 would be rope not wire stays.

Now that sounds interesting - would it be possible to replace the lower struts on a Corsair boat with synthetic strops - would save a lot of weight and less windage?

NO!

Why not? If Seacart have been using such a system, and now the Pulse, what would be the problem? Are there any actual videos anywhere showing the Seacart folding?

But I am not going to be bothered either way. I will save that for when KBC borrows my sails and beats me using them. THAT is frustrating. But I have a plan... :ph34r:

Wess, you mean like this other time?

Racing wise in terms of numbers I would like to find something like a Snipe, Laser or J70 (or that potential) in that you can find racing up and down the east coast and usually a dozen or more boats out. One of the things about the fleets I have mentioned is not the absolute numbers, but a large and diverse enough in terms of talent, that just about anyone, at any level can come out and find somebody to race hard against and measure their own progress and success. I think that is important for fleet health, growth and sustainability. Even Weta, as far as its come is not at what I think of as critical mass and (I could easily be wrong about this) from what I hear the OD aspects are starting to suffer. Shame if so as I had such high hopes for that. Likely not the boat my wife would have joined me racing on but the Pulse is. Thinking it might be something that could be raced well double-handed especially w furling chute. That to me would be another huge positive selling factor.

So seriously dude, if this is what you really want - don't wait - get yourself on an A-Cat or an F-18, or maybe an F-16. True, they are not strict OD, but the formula classes in small multihulls are proving to provide OD-style close racing with multiple manufacturers. The classes are filled wtih folks from one end of the talent spectrum to the other. Don't bring the "you can't cruise theses boats argument", because by the yardsticks already provided, you won't be cruising a Snipe, Laser, or even a J70. If you really want a pure old school OD experience without a sprit, get a Hobie-16 and join in on some of the best OD action out there. You'll have a better chance of enjoying and helping to build a large vibrant OD scene with any of those boats than you will with the Pulse (for awhile anyway), IMO.

On the boat itself - again, I'll remain to be convinced when I see it, but the folding mech is going to be interesting in practice. The wire stays will have no action in the game until the floats are all the way out. Intuitively this suggests the folding operation is going to be a bit unstable and wobbly. You'll be able to do it on the trailer. Doing it in the water is not going to be usual Corsair/Farrier affair that we are used to - I'll bet it will be a more carefull effort done right after the boat gets wet, and you'll want flat water and maybe two people. Unless there's some other stabilization scheme in play.

I think a good folding mechanism would be a dealmaker. There will be a guy or two in each port trying and buying one of these lovely looking boats, but the critical mass will only happen if they are easy to fold on the water and also on the trailer. We have had a heap of guys in OZ build wonderful looking Hughes/Newick/Unnamed/Homehatched fast boats like this, but even their owners lose the impetus when the folding/dismantling has been a long and sometimes dangerous PITA. Some left such boats unfolded in hardstands, but clubs here generally charge double the normal rate for a double footprint, not a nice equation at all.

I know a really nice guy who would have designed a nice folding system to go with this boat! :rolleyes:

Peter

I know a really nice guy who would have designed a nice folding system to go with this boat! :rolleyes:

Peter

OK, that is funny. You win and got a laugh out of me for sure. I actually kinda see this as filling the design brief that, that same man originally had for what he is up to. At a price point like he originally talked about; not 2-3X. :rolleyes:

Hey KBC, yea I remember that video and race as well. It demonstrated well your unwillingness to give up as I recall. Think about how much sooner we could have been headed home, eating and drinking while relaxing under an awning if only you would have been reasonable, LOL. Seriously, I don't remember if you actually crossed the line or not, but know it was close to the time limit. Oh the Chesapeake wind and current Gods can be so mean. I think we got back past you for a while before finding a crab pot and then you were gone... well as much as anyone can be gone in 2 knots of shifty dead/dying breeze.

But you gotta be careful w these boasts! You should call me for an update. You remember that plan I mentioned... It involves the one that skippered this year and she has many new friends and they have many unique skills at her chosen "college"...

In terms of an A-cat, F18 or F16, there really is no way. A-cat is one man racing and why would I give up my laser for that? Laser fleet has better racing in more places, no? Plus its far cheaper. I could see getting an A-cat when it settles into a corner of the bow/design rule so its more like OD, IF and its a big IF it was a foiling class that your average weekend warrier like me could effectively sail on foils. That would be cool and worth spending money on.

Absolutely no chance that my wife will come racing with me in the double handers you mentioned. Zero. You have any luck getting your better half out racing in a beach cat of late? Come on; lets be serious. On a boat like a Pulse I have a very real shot of convincing the wife to drive while I pull strings. No way that is so on a beach cat or even a Weta.

Oh, fat boy in Radial won a race yesterday. Was not even blind squirrel stuff. You would have ben so proud. Sniff, sniff... :ph34r:

On a boat like a Pulse I have a very real shot of convincing the wife to drive while I pull strings. No way that is so on a beach cat or even a Weta.

Now this is something we have in common and is the source of my interest in the Pulse, too.

dear unshirley, either shit or get off the pot! I need somebody to race against and when I lose to you I can at least use the excuse that I was beaten by a very salty olde skipper...

Colligo Marine put up a picture a while back which I cant find now that suggested that the waterstays for the Pulse 600 would be rope not wire stays.

Now that sounds interesting - would it be possible to replace the lower struts on a Corsair boat with synthetic strops - would save a lot of weight and less windage?

NO!

Why not? If Seacart have been using such a system, and now the Pulse, what would be the problem? Are there any actual videos anywhere showing the Seacart folding?

I think this needs to be hit on the head before anyone does anything silly. It would be a very bad idea to replace the lower folding struts with wire cable or a synthetic strop on any boat with my folding system. May be a possibility on a small light day sailer, or a lightweight racer with plenty of crew to help, but not on any serious cabin type cruiser.

I actually investigated more flexible lower folding struts years ago with one of the first F-27s, as when sailing one only needs straight tension struts (or even wires) to hold the boat together. So we set out to find what would happen if we simplified the lower Folding Struts (H frames) into two simple, independent, but still solid tension struts.
Thus an F-27 was setup to see what would happen. However, it was immediately scary as any control over the folding motion was lost, and the floats wanted to twist and sag off all over the place. So the experiment was immediately stopped before anything broke, and we restored the rigid H struts. It was bad enough with solid struts, but would have been even worse with collapsable synthetic or wire strops. So DON'T EVEN TRY THIS.
Such a system may be practical and even work well on a small light day sailer, or where they are several crew available to stabilize the beams and floats. But it could be tricky in waves, power boat wakes, or single-handed.
The other concern with a serious cruiser or larger offshore capable boat is the use of a wire or synthetic as the primary structural member, upon which lives may depend on. Okay if wires or strops are first stress tested, and then replaced every 3 or 4 years to be safe, but this may not always be the case in real life. Crevice corrosion in stainless wires is always a risk/possibility close to salt water, and is something solid alloy struts do not suffer from. We also once had a brand new stay pull out of the swage, so it can be risky to use wire for any major structural member without due care and good maintenance.
One other issue is the possibility of no downwards support for floats should the rig come down, as tension wires only restrain the float from moving up, and the rig may be the only thing stopping the floats from moving down (with short stubby beams). Thus should the boat be dismasted, or upside down, with mast down, then the chances of the boat breaking up in big waves becomes a significant risk. Not a big problem for any inshore day sailer, but definitely something to be wary of on any boat capable of leaving the harbor.
Ian Farrier
Farrier Marine

dear unshirley, either shit or get off the pot! I need somebody to race against and when I lose to you I can at least use the excuse that I was beaten by a very salty olde skipper...

currently constipated, sorry

On a boat like a Pulse I have a very real shot of convincing the wife to drive while I pull strings. No way that is so on a beach cat or even a Weta.

Now this is something we have in common and is the source of my interest in the Pulse, too.

Add one more to this commonality as a source of interest in the Pulse.

Cheers,

Hey KBC, yea I remember that video and race as well. It demonstrated well your unwillingness to give up as I recall. Think about how much sooner we could have been headed home, eating and drinking while relaxing under an awning if only you would have been reasonable, LOL. Seriously, I don't remember if you actually crossed the line or not, but know it was close to the time limit. Oh the Chesapeake wind and current Gods can be so mean. I think we got back past you for a while before finding a crab pot and then you were gone... well as much as anyone can be gone in 2 knots of shifty dead/dying breeze.

But you gotta be careful w these boasts! You should call me for an update. You remember that plan I mentioned... It involves the one that skippered this year and she has many new friends and they have many unique skills at her chosen "college"...

In terms of an A-cat, F18 or F16, there really is no way. A-cat is one man racing and why would I give up my laser for that? Laser fleet has better racing in more places, no? Plus its far cheaper. I could see getting an A-cat when it settles into a corner of the bow/design rule so its more like OD, IF and its a big IF it was a foiling class that your average weekend warrier like me could effectively sail on foils. That would be cool and worth spending money on.

Absolutely no chance that my wife will come racing with me in the double handers you mentioned. Zero. You have any luck getting your better half out racing in a beach cat of late? Come on; lets be serious. On a boat like a Pulse I have a very real shot of convincing the wife to drive while I pull strings. No way that is so on a beach cat or even a Weta.

Oh, fat boy in Radial won a race yesterday. Was not even blind squirrel stuff. You would have ben so proud. Sniff, sniff... :ph34r:

We were about 1/4 mile from the line when the time limit expired. I kept sailing and crossed the line anyway, completely symbolically, but somewhat satisfying as well. I don't recall you getting by us again, but you can blame a crab pot all you want... ;-)

I'm not boasting. I'm just basking in what little victories I can pull off before being buried by youth and talent.

I'm assuming that the fetish with OD is for close racing. Oddly enough, the formula classes seem to offer just that, even though folks aren't all sailing exactly the same boats. What is it you desire, close racing or rigid conformity for conformity's sake? ;-) The formula classes offer some great competition. And again, if you really want OD multi racing go buy a Hobie-16.

As for A-Cats and Lasers - you're nuts. Give up the Laser. You can buy a decent used club level A for the price of a new Laser and mix it up with some rarified talent, and get to sail a boat that defines efficiency. You've got a Fleet in Galesville, and there's races to travel to. It's true that everybody and their grandmother has a Laser fleet, but it's still not an A-Cat. You want foiling? Well you can buy a kit for your Laser, or you can sail an A-Cat as the fleet is now working that out.

As for sailing with mixed crews, my wife did use to crew for me on the cats. Her not wanting to race anymore has nothing to do with choice of boats (although maybe a Gunboat might change that). You know my current N-20 crew is female, I've had regular female crew before her, and the fleet in Galesville has several mixed teams on the N-20s, F-16s, and an F-18. The Olympic Nacra-17 class is mixed gender. So saying women-folk won't sail or race on a cat is crap.

An honestly, the F-16 is the best Swiss-Army Knife of a boat you can have with a family - you can race heads up single handed (main and spin, no jib) against two-up crews (main, jib, and spin). So you can get your Laser fix or race with any of your family that feels like it that particular race day.

You might argue that the scene for these boats is not as fully populated as your mono-examples. But hey, these boats already havve more of an existing fleet than the Pulse. And if you get out there and inject a little fresh blood it might grow a bit.

Oh, and by the way - on the front page of this very esteemed site, you might catch an article on some kids getting really excited about sailing a Lightning - with an asym. And, wait for it, wait for it, wait, wait... Yes! A sprit!

LOL, like I said... persistent.

OK, you win. When your wife is trapped out driving the Nacra on the Oxford race, while you pull strings, and you are still married after finishing (I would be divorced for sure).... I promise to sell my Laser and get an A-cat for the same price. I think however that you have a getter chance of getting your wife on the Nacra than I do of finding an A cat that floats for the price my Laser will sell for. But if you don't get her out, you need to come frostbite one series in the Laser, deal?

Front page? What front page? Lightning with a sprit indeed!! Only a CRAChead would put a sprit on a Lightning!

Well Wess, my wife won't even come down to Oxford by car to hang out at the party and stay at a B&B. So, yes, you'll probably never see her on the cat to Oxford. But, West River does have at least three couples teams that you would see on beach cats on the way to Oxford (and back for the Hammond). And I'll bet I could easily talk my current Nacra crew into it.

By the way I said you could get a used A-Cat for the price of a new Laser, not the other way around!

Also BTW, speaking of sprits on Lightnings, one of our fellow competitors (with the impressive resume of being the Naval Academy Offshore Sailing coach and owner of J-World Annapolis, lots of monos...) really likes his A-Cat. But you should see what he created - FrankenScot... It's got a sprit!

So! How's that Pulse coming along?

By the way I said you could get a used A-Cat for the price of a new Laser, not the other way around!

Also BTW, speaking of sprits on Lightnings, one of our fellow competitors (with the impressive resume of being the Naval Academy Offshore Sailing coach and owner of J-World Annapolis, lots of monos...) really likes his A-Cat. But you should see what he created - FrankenScot... It's got a sprit!

So! How's that Pulse coming along?

Yes, I know. That is why I turned it around and am not selling my Laser for an A-cat, LOL.

Yea I know the dude and the story. The kid is talking to him and seems to be on that path, God bless her.

No clue on the Pulse timing for a Pulse to emerge. My guess is much faster than an F22 and much slower than the time it takes for an SA mob to burn GB witches at the stake. Damn. The strange thing is there is one guy posting over there under his name and we almost hired him years ago when we were in middle of relo and needed a boat moved up from the islands. OMG, I dodged a bullet... what an idiot.

@Wess

There a few successful multi OD classes. The Wetas and H16's have pretty large numbers, and while not technically an OD (they're formula classes), the F18 and F16 have good numbers. Around here we also get a pretty good Miracle 20 class showing.

On the bigger end, you're spot on, there isn't very much. The F27's are around in big number, but rarely find the race course anymore. The F24 had the potential with good sales numbers, but OD for that class is dead thanks to some great leadership (don't get me started). And having two versions (MKI and MKII) didn't help. Corsair's brilliant marketing people did it again with the Sprint, which as an open cockpit layout boat, would have made a perfect OD class racer, but fumbled that one by building a MKII version only a couple of years later and making all the MKI's pretty much obsolete (still a good boat though). F28's - dead. F-31's - dead. So the only real mass production big multi builder, if you want to call them that, really hasn't shown too much interest in promoting OD racing. I fully expect zero racing promotion, OD or otherwise, from Corsair for the new Pulse. Sure they'll show the P600 being raced, but they ain't going to be involved. For that reason I can almost guaranty it will not come with a sprit. They will however come out with the P600 MKII in 2017 and drive a nail in the coffin of anyone in the P600 MKI's that managed to get some sort of critical mass for racing on the local level. Count on it.

Could someone please buy a P600, ship it to China, and have the boys over there do a knockoff. Sell it as the Inpulse 20.

edit: BTW: the A-cat is a developmental class, it's meant to be a tweaker's boat.

That's precisely right. When the Dash came out with bigger floats than the MKI Sprint I asked on this forum whether Corsair would come out with a Sprint with the bigger floats and they said categorically no. 2 years later, here comes the MKII... Considering that Corsairs are considered performance boats it's amazing to see how few of them are raced. A boat of this size is crying out for an active race circuit and if there were one it could give all the small sportboats a run for their money.

Anyone know if Corsair resolved the Sprint 750 Mk1 aluminum daggerboard and rudder issues? I see Phil's foils has composite ones but pretty pricey.

Anyone know if Corsair resolved the Sprint 750 Mk1 aluminum daggerboard and rudder issues? I see Phil's foils has composite ones but pretty pricey.

I'm pretty sure their answer was the Sprint 750 MkII. Problem solved.

I'm pretty sure their answer was the Sprint 750 MkII. Problem solved.

Mk 11 has the same aluminum daggerboard and rudder as the Mk 1. I believe the class association approved composite replacement, as well as sailplan changes - so much for a OD class.

As for giving sportsboats a run for their money, no contest. Power to weight rules every time. A good sailor on a top performing sportsboat will equal a poor sailor on a Mk 1 Sprint around the course. Swap skippers and the sportsboat gets lapped.

I agree with your result of the Multihull coming out on top but I doubt its power to weight. Top sportsboats are very light

8 & the 8.5 mtr bethwaites, Egans Stealths ( & stealth 7.27 ) can be 500-600 kgs. Shaw 650 is 380kg sailing with all components (not incl outboard)

In the legacy area the best of the Elliott Yngs and Ts are 800-900 -ish

I agree with your result of the Multihull coming out on top but I doubt its power to weight. Top sportsboats are very light

8 & the 8.5 mtr bethwaites, Egans Stealths ( & stealth 7.27 ) can be 500-600 kgs. Shaw 650 is 380kg sailing with all components (not incl outboard)

In the legacy area the best of the Elliott Yngs and Ts are 800-900 -ish

Weight must include crew. Sailing weight including crew and outboard for my Mk1 Sprint can be 1135kg. But it is pretty heavy for a 24' tri.

For interest a 8.3 m Egan cat with crew and outboard can come in at 683kg.

I guess it also depends on the definition of power. Sail area can be huge but does not always translate into useable power.

Useable power is sail area combined with righting moment, upwind and reaching at least.

trouble with sportsboats is they still use that lead. Imagine a 8.5 m Egan sportsboat with wings and no lead. Then add foils!

The 8.5 Egan has wings! lead is in now way overdone, it is so much faster than any SB preceding her an f24 or the 750s would be looking at her transom i'd imagine, especially in lighter and variable

Years ago at Marley on F SideFX we were beaten by the T-8 Rush, we were hauling her in once the wind Finally came up

add to that I had for years a boatspeed 23, which has no lead ( & wider wings than the aforementioned 8.5), I can guarantee you the Absence of lead was more trouble, much more !

anyway Nuddy, not starting a pissing contest, Mr Egan is playing both sides of the fence after all

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how that Corsair Pulse 600 going anyway, more sailing pics yet?

The 8.5 Egan has wings! lead is in now way overdone, it is so much faster than any SB preceding her an f24 or the 750s would be looking at her transom i'd imagine, especially in lighter and variable

Years ago at Marley on F SideFX we were beaten by the T-8 Rush, we were hauling her in once the wind Finally came up

add to that I had for years a boatspeed 23, which has no lead ( & wider wings than the aforementioned 8.5), I can guarantee you the Absence of lead was more trouble, much more !

anyway Nuddy, not starting a pissing contest, Mr Egan is playing both sides of the fence after all

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how that Corsair Pulse 600 going anyway, more sailing pics yet?

Yeah, comparing apples with apples we should compare Egan 8.5 with Egan 8.3 and a Corsair Sprint with something like a Magic 25.

Multi scene needs a true entry level, like the F22 was originally conceived to be, a 'modern' Tramp with an entry level price. Will the pulse be it? depends entirely on the price imo.

Pulse is priced at almost $40k.

Question: What does a new F18 go for?

Apples and Oranges

Apples and Oranges

Regardless, I would still like to know.

Given that they are very different boats, they also have some similarities i.e.

• about the same footprint for storage
  • high performance, 3 sail daysailors and racers. Yes, yes, I know, the F18 is much faster and lighter with traps, blah, blah, blah
  • similar capabilities re: wind and sea conditions
  • beachable

probably north of 30k turnkey

http://www.advantageyachtsales.com/Page.aspx/pageId/150610/Hobie-Catamarans.aspx

Nuddy where do you think the Ostac Tramp moulds are?

is the last proprietor of OSTAC still about?

Would Crawford boat sales know, i.e. the SE Qld one-stop shop for trailables

http://www.advantageyachtsales.com/Page.aspx/pageId/150610/Hobie-Catamarans.aspx

IIRC Paul Koch was the last Proprietor of OSTAC and he bought Corsair and moved to USA. No idea where he would be now. my guess would be the moulds went to the tip.

There are better entry level designs around now, mostly for home builders in ply. I wonder what it would cost to make a set of moulds and produce a 22' foam/glass infused tri.

Hi All ,

We built about 30 Ostac Tramps back in the eighties ! They sold new at about AUD 30,000 plus options . Even at that price then in Australia we could not make any money so one day in a fit of madness , to stop us continuing to lose money every time we built one , I took a diamond saw to them and cut them up . Boat building is a very difficult business to make money out of contrary to the opinion of the many experts here who expect everything to cost nothing !

The only realistic way to survive and produce good boats at a low price now is to do it in a country with low labor costs !

As for what I am doing now , check out www.rapidotrimarans.com . This is a very exciting project with the first boat due to be launched about June 2015.

Stunning boat Paul. Agree with your blurb, Trimarans are for Sailors, Catamarans are for Tourists. You can have that.

Sure would be nice if Team Corsair or whatever the username was would jump in with some clarifications.

The first boat is set to splash this month, right?

Australian $

F18 with trailer and beach wheels will set you back low 30k (32 to 33?)

Pulse i'd expect it to be about 50k on trailer.

Very different boats though and whilst it may have some cross over in market, very different sailing.

There are better entry level designs around now, mostly for home builders in ply.

ya reckon? lemme know when they beat one-up Johhny fr Wangi

a trail of cheap plywood matchsticks in his wake !

Hi All ,

We built about 30 Ostac Tramps back in the eighties ! They sold new at about AUD 30,000 plus options . Even at that price then in Australia we could not make any money so one day in a fit of madness , to stop us continuing to lose money every time we built one , I took a diamond saw to them and cut them up . Boat building is a very difficult business to make money out of contrary to the opinion of the many experts here who expect everything to cost nothing !

The only realistic way to survive and produce good boats at a low price now is to do it in a country with low labor costs !

As for what I am doing now , check out www.rapidotrimarans.com . This is a very exciting project with the first boat due to be launched about June 2015.

Thanks for that info Paul. Very nice boat you are building. Good to see that you are still doing interesting things.

cool boat Paul

definitely deserves a new thread all by its own ...

thor

IIRC Paul Koch was the last Proprietor of OSTAC and he bought Corsair and moved to USA. No idea where he would be now. my guess would be the moulds went to the tip.

There are better entry level designs around now, mostly for home builders in ply. I wonder what it would cost to make a set of moulds and produce a 22' foam/glass infused tri.

Here is an attempt:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=149930&hl=

Development Update #11 on the Pulse 600

Renderings are nice, however a little repetitive and not too informative :-(

Cant wait to see pictures of how is coming together. Blame it to cabin fever.

Cheers!!

Cabin fever? Move to central Texas. Sail year round. Learn to whine when the temps drop below 60F.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to live in New Orleans, however my obsession was partying them ( lots of rum + splash coke + lime), not sailing.

Is not the weather causing it though, I do not mind a little cold. It is work.

Cheers,

There really is no issue with the aluminum daggerboards other than if you leave your boat for an extended period in salt water there might be possible corrosion issues. The issue I believe you may be referring to was caused owners lowering their boards too far (or the manufacturer allowing the board to be lowered too far), so not enough of the wide part of the board was up inside the case. The Sprint Class rules specify a method for preventing this, and the newer Sprints and Dashes have a redesigned trunk and a cap on the board which prevent them from being lowered into the danger zone. There has never been an issue with the aluminum rudder blades that I am aware of. The advantage of the aluminum foils is lower cost, and that the trailing edge can be finer than a composite board without becoming fragile. Corsair offer a low cost upgrade to a composite daggerboard for those who don't want the aluminum board. But they do not offer a composite rudder blade, for that you need to turn to Phil's Foils. The standard F-22 rudder blade is too short. In my opinion the cost of replacing the rudder with a composite blade probably exceeds the benefit, but they are definitely lighter and rather sexy looking.

A reality check - the tooling plus jigs and fixtures for the original 19' Tramp cost $300,000 in 1980. It took over a year, I was there every week, and it was a great learning curve in production tooling, with Haines Hunter being a very professional company at that time, and run by the visionary founder. The boat then sold for $10,000 - $11,000, which sure sounds cheap now.

The development cost today on the same scale would likely be over $1,000,0000, so if anyone thinks it is easy then perhaps think again. My biggest mistake at the time was following the text book in molded production design, and it was soon obvious that whoever had written the text book, had not built many boats, nor did they have much 'hands on' experience in a production line. However, things went well for a while, with six boats being produced every week for a while.
post-18231-0-64853700-1423866724_thumb.jpg
But unfortunately Haines Hunter was soon taken over by an investor, which doomed the Tramp, as the people then put in charge had no idea, and the whole company quickly went down hill. I could see what was coming so moved on to the F-27 (after a legal fight to get my freedom). Threw away the text book when doing the F-27 design/tooling, and everything worked far better.
I eventually redesigned the Tramp for OSTAC, who got the molds cheaply, but while the OSTAC built Tramp (with a cabin) was a lighter and better boat it was still much too time consuming to build. Would have been better to start from scratch again and I'm sure Paul remembers my reluctance at the time, and my reservations about OSTAC buying the Tramp molds. He was perfectly justified in cutting them up.
Ian Farrier
Farrier Marine
Designs that work...

There really is no issue with the aluminum daggerboards other than if you leave your boat for an extended period in salt water there might be possible corrosion issues. The issue I believe you may be referring to was caused owners lowering their boards too far (or the manufacturer allowing the board to be lowered too far), so not enough of the wide part of the board was up inside the case. The Sprint Class rules specify a method for preventing this, and the newer Sprints and Dashes have a redesigned trunk and a cap on the board which prevent them from being lowered into the danger zone. There has never been an issue with the aluminum rudder blades that I am aware of. The advantage of the aluminum foils is lower cost, and that the trailing edge can be finer than a composite board without becoming fragile. Corsair offer a low cost upgrade to a composite daggerboard for those who don't want the aluminum board. But they do not offer a composite rudder blade, for that you need to turn to Phil's Foils. The standard F-22 rudder blade is too short. In my opinion the cost of replacing the rudder with a composite blade probably exceeds the benefit, but they are definitely lighter and rather sexy looking.

Definitely go with the composite foils. The aluminum foils are a nice job, and I was sent samples of these in the early stages of the F-22 design, to consider using them for the F-22. They are made by an Australian company and designed for monohull dinghies and small monohull trailer sailers. They would have been an easy and cheap way to do daggerboards and rudders, but they are not suitable for a high speed multihull - I ran the numbers and they are not strong enough, which has been shown by quite a few failures. They would have needed extra reinforcing to use, which reduces the cost advantage, and one still ends up with an aluminum foil, which may not be the best thing on any boat that can be left in the water. Thus I did not use them for F-22.

"The standard F-22 rudder blade is too short."

Would be interested to hear on what sailing experience with the standard F-22 you base this on? The only time the standard F-22 blade proved to be too short was when it was used on the Sprint, which has a greater nose diving tendency than the F-22 due to its tall rig and lack of buoyancy up front. Thus I did a 200mm (8") longer blade for Sprint conversions, and also used it on the F-22R for that extra margin of safety. But the longer blade is more expensive and not needed on the standard F-22.

If looking for more reasonably priced 'top of the line' foils, then be sure to compare prices:

http://www.f-boatmart.com/product.php?productid=16231&cat=249&page=1

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

I think he meant too short for the Sprint, as you noted. At least, that's the context I took it in.

Sorry, have to chime in there. The aluminium daggerboard had a nice shape on the Sprint and the lift generated from it made the boat really get going compared to the F24 MkII. We had a few break here in OZ, there was corrosion in some, the join upened up in a few, and they used to slip down too far until that was successfully addressed. Still a nice foil though.

The rudder however was only of use in light winds. We broke many, (two on the boat I sailed in the Whitsundays) and the shape in a good breeze was disgusting even when in one piece. The dealers here who were involved in the Sprint design asked for a better blade, but the only upgrade that happened here was a tube inserted down the foam core to toughen things up, copied from a repair we did during a series. It still felt squishy when sailing in breeze and would cavitate often. The pic off the Walker Bay yacht tender it was designed for is cut from the latest brochure. Nice foil in that application.

post-10329-0-53012200-1423875882_thumb.jpg

I would expect the increase in performance gained from a Phil's Foil/ Farrier or similar system over the aluminum blade would be as much as the gain I got from putting a deep F9 Farrier dagger rudder on my F27.

Peter

Hi All,

There is an actual picture of the boat in update #12. There is also text regarding the OD.

The boat looks nice.

Cheers,

Hi All,

There is an actual picture of the boat in update #12. There is also text regarding the OD.

The boat looks nice.

Cheers,

Nice looking boat, but I notice the picture has cut off the nose off the boat. I wonder if this is a deliberate attempt to hide what is happening up front. Maybe they have a plan for a Bow Spit (or maybe not).

Here's the text from the update...

"The feedback gained through the updates and various forums has been fantastic and certainly it has been thrown into the mix when it comes to navigating through the final specification. Potential buyers, existing Corsair owners, marine professionals… the variety has been far and wide. It’s good to see that so many people have picked up on the intended market for this boat as there is obviously a fine balance to be had. There have been many products before this model that have failed to really take off...perhaps that have perhaps focused too much on performance (with a negative effect on price, complexity for sailors and versatility of the boat). Likewise, you can’t get away from the fact that as multihull sailors, we like to go fast! The performance has to meet a certain level to keep the go-faster guys excited and part of fleet building. This is Corsair's focus. We are 100% committed to locking in a boat specification and running with this design as an OD Fleet. Strong growth of these fleets will need factory, dealer and customer support to accelerate as soon as possible, and One Design fleets have been an integral part of the design specification from the start."

Wonder what "various forums" they're talking about. Sounds like maybe they are re-thinking the whole bow-sprit specifications. Not to be overly pessimistic, but I'll believe the "commitment" to an OD spec when I see it.

Looks good , I got a lump in my pants , get a dozen of these things on a race coarse ....happy days....

I don't see folding struts... It'll be interesting to see how on the water folding works without struts but maybe I'm wrong...

"The feedback gained through the updates and various forums has been fantastic and certainly it has been thrown into the mix when it comes to navigating through the final specification. Potential buyers, existing Corsair owners, marine professionals… the variety has been far and wide. It’s good to see that so many people have picked up on the intended market for this boat as there is obviously a fine balance to be had. There have been many products before this model that have failed to really take off...perhaps that have perhaps focused too much on performance (with a negative effect on price, complexity for sailors and versatility of the boat). Likewise, you can’t get away from the fact that as multihull sailors, we like to go fast! The performance has to meet a certain level to keep the go-faster guys excited and part of fleet building. This is Corsair's focus. We are 100% committed to locking in a boat specification and running with this design as an OD Fleet. Strong growth of these fleets will need factory, dealer and customer support to accelerate as soon as possible, and One Design fleets have been an integral part of the design specification from the start."

Wonder what "various forums" they're talking about. Sounds like maybe they are re-thinking the whole bow-sprit specifications. Not to be overly pessimistic, but I'll believe the "commitment" to an OD spec when I see it.

I took the highlighted text to mean that they were *not* rethinking the bowsprit.

Hi All,

The boat looks nice.

Cheers,

Nice looking boat, but I notice the picture has cut off the nose off the boat. I wonder if this is a deliberate attempt to hide what is happening up front. Maybe they have a plan for a Bow Spit (or maybe not).

I'm feeling trolled by the photo crop. What a tease, too. Hope Corsair are listening and have come up with a fix.

I don't see folding struts... It'll be interesting to see how on the water folding works without struts but maybe I'm wrong...

I took the highlighted text to mean that they were *not* rethinking the bowsprit.

Yeah, that line and the one after it really are a contradiction. It's hard to tell what they have in mind. Remember a time, before marketing became the art of weasel words, that people just said what they were thinking. Like, "With all the crap we got online about not having a sprit, we're seriously taking a second look at it."

Should be interesting to see what the final product looks like. If they can hold their price point, they may have a winner, with or without a sprit.

O.K., it's Contest Time........

How much will the pulse actually cost (in U$D)?

We're talking about:

-delivered to the US (delivery and import duties included)

-ready to sail (all sails included)

-with trailer

-with small outboard (and bracket, etc)

-sales tax not included

Take your best shot.

-MH

I'd like to know that, as well, MH.

I'm more than turned-off by the car lot salesman approach of, "OK, you have your base boat and then you stack your favorite extras on it and we do that on different pages of a website so that you really don't have any idea as to how much money you are engaging until the end of the process". These folks know what kinds of gear sailors are going to need to get the boat on the water and working as pimped, so why not just set it up as a solid, sail-away package and then list the really optional items in a short, easy to digest, list that has zero surprises.

Get it in our heads that it is doable and at a figure that really comes across as satisfying and encouraging. What's so tough about that?

We're talking about:

-with trailer

-sales tax not included

Take your best shot.

-MH

HA! Trick question. You can't get a Pulse delivered to the US. The ports are closed with ships stacking up like firewood off the coast.

But if you could, I'd say $48,549.38.

We're talking about:

-with trailer

-sales tax not included

Take your best shot.

-MH

HA! Trick question. You can't get a Pulse delivered to the US. The ports are closed with ships stacking up like firewood off the coast.

But if you could, I'd say $48,549.38.

$48,549.38!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, no, no, no, noooo!!!!!!!!

It has to be ~$36,420.99. More than that would be a turn off.

Cheers,

This is from the SeaRail 19 Website that it is a comparable boat.

"Our Regatta Ready Package includes:

The 2015 Base Boat with the Spinnaker Package and USA Road Trailer Option for $27,990.00 USD"

I think Corsair would not want to scare anyone away with a >$40K price tag.

Cheers,

I admire your enthusiasm, but a S750/Dash runs about $80K ready to roll. There's no way they are going to let that thing go for under $40K. I can see them pulling the 'ol $39,995.99 intro offer, but as soon as you add amas, mast, daggerboard, and a cockpit floor you're in the $40K+ department. It's $48,549.38. If they come in at $36K I'm going to buy MultiHuller one as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.

As far as I know ( from the dealers ) NOT ONE SeaRail 19 has been sold in the USA. If this is not the case then someone please tell me how many have been sold and where. If none have been sold then something is wrong with the boat. I cannot defend the Pulse because no one has even seen it in the water or sailed it. Just sayin' that a price comparison is not valid because they are NOT THE SAME BOAT. After the Pulse has been sailed and evaluated, then and only then, let the comparisons begin.

As far as I know ( from the dealers ) NOT ONE SeaRail 19 has been sold in the USA. If this is not the case then someone please tell me how many have been sold and where. If none have been sold then something is wrong with the boat. I cannot defend the Pulse because no one has even seen it in the water or sailed it. Just sayin' that a price comparison is not valid because they are NOT THE SAME BOAT. After the Pulse has been sailed and evaluated, then and only then, let the comparisons begin.

Hi again,

I found this on the SeaRail-19. I am not advocating. Just sharing information.

http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/?p=12824

Cheers,

ORLY

Sprint is 8" longer, 3" wider, 6sqft more upwind sail (264.7-259)

Searail's spin is 63sqft bigger

http://www.searail19.com/p/specs.html

Key Statistics

• Length of hull: 5800mm (19')
  • Beam unfold: 4455mm (14' 6")
  • Beam fold: 1800mm (6' 11")
  • Mast length: 9115mm (29' 10")
  • Weight: Under 317kg (700 lb) fully laden (100% of the sailing gear required)
  • Towing Weight. 500kg (1,100 lb)

Sail Area

• Main: 16sqm (176sqf)
  • R/F jib: 7.7sqm (83sqf)
  • Spinnaker: 22sqm (278sqf)

http://corsairmarine.com/trimarans/pulse-600/

Pulse 600 Specs L.O.A.: 19’ 8” (6m) Beam: 14’ 9” (4.5m) Beam folded: 6’ 11” (2.1m) Draft (hull only): 9” (0.22m) Draft D/B down: 3’ 11” (1.2m) Mast length: 31’ 2” (9.5m) Unladen weight: 816lbs 370kgs Mainsail: 184sqft (17.1m2) Jib: 80.7sqft (7.5m2) Spinnaker: 215.3sqft (20m2)

I admire your enthusiasm, but a S750/Dash runs about $80K ready to roll. There's no way they are going to let that thing go for under $40K. I can see them pulling the 'ol $39,995.99 intro offer, but as soon as you add amas, mast, daggerboard, and a cockpit floor you're in the $40K+ department. It's $48,549.38. If they come in at $36K I'm going to buy MultiHuller one as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.

Hi bhyde,

I actually figured out the price !!!! You may be right.

$36,420.99 - Pulse 600 sail away with small outboard and trailer.

+ $12,128.39 - bow sprit (aluminum)

$48,549.38 - Total Pulse 600 + sprit -> the boat most of us want :-)

Cheers, :-)

When I saw the renderings I thought why would you pay for a 6m tri that is heavier, slower and way more expensive than a similar sized cat. But looking at the photos of the real thing, I want one.

Can't wait to see it on the water.... :D

post-1817-0-93708400-1424170344.jpg

There is SOMETHING about that Sea-Rail though. It seems like a nice sailing trimaran, but well equipped for motorboating also....

GdJtcL4.jpg

When I saw the renderings I thought why would you pay for a 6m tri that is heavier, slower and way more expensive than a similar sized cat. But looking at the photos of the real thing, I want one.

Can't wait to see it on the water.... :Dpost-1817-0-93708400-1424170344.jpg

Truly looks like a weapon...dying to see it sail.

I agree that this boat looks very comparable to the SeaRail 19.

Why isn't the SeaRail 19 selling better? Why will the Pulse 600 sell any better?

This was post #18 from last October. Given that the SeaRail 19 which IS a very similar boat can be bought for less than $30k w/ trlr and bowsprit, I think the question is still relevant and hasn't been answered. Does a market exist for these boats?

PUBLIC APOLOGY - Based only on conversations, I posted last October and recently ( Corsair Pulse 600 postings #5 and #372 ) that the sales for the SeaRail-19 in the USA were zero. The correct number is 8 sales in the USA and another container of 5 arriving mid-spring. My apologies to Phil Medley and his crew at SeaRail-19. The sales of their innovative new design speak for themselves. Sadly, I have been a source of incorrect information about a fine new boat and for this, I apologize.

PUBLIC APOLOGY - Based only on conversations, I posted last October and recently ( Corsair Pulse 600 postings #5 and #372 ) that the sales for the SeaRail-19 in the USA were zero. The correct number is 8 sales in the USA and another container of 5 arriving mid-spring. My apologies to Phil Medley and his crew at SeaRail-19. The sales of their innovative new design speak for themselves. Sadly, I have been a source of incorrect information about a fine new boat and for this, I apologize.

So it appears that the SeaRail-19 is selling well in the USA.

Pulse is quite similar and should also sell well if it is price competitive.

Obviously there is a market for these boats at <30k

Can't wait to see it on the water.... :D

post-1817-0-93708400-1424170344.jpg

Is there a similar size cat? In 1981 I chose a SeaWind 24 ($12,500) over a Haines Tramp ($11,000??).

Is the Windrush 700 still made. If so I would choose that over a pulse or a searail. Comparison with OTB cats (F18 etc.) is not valid - totally different market.

I don't think the windrush is available. I don't think there is a new cat available.

If I had 30k to spend I would buy a certain pink 30' cat and sail in Div 1.

That missing bow photo really makes me think there's going to be a sprit. If the molds are already done, what options might there be for adding a deck mount?

A new Viper 640 is ~$36k (21')

A new VXone is ~$29k (19')

Should definitely be a market at the <$30k price point

A new Viper 640 is ~$36k (21')

A new VXone is ~$29k (19')

Should definitely be a market at the <$30k price point

https://vxoneaustralia.wordpress.com/

REASONS TO BUY A VX ONE Unrivalled performance for your dollar. $36,000 for a boat that can do 20 knots! Two or three person crew – no weight limit ( 200kg -230kg recommended) Suitable for the whole family from Junior to Experienced! Pull only one line to hoist & douse the kite Self-tacking and furling jib to make manoeuvres and reducing sail in a blow easy Buy sails from any sail maker No limit on advertising on sails or hull

http://www.viper640.org/why-viper/about-viper-640/

CONSTRUCTION & COST – High tech build quality at price directly from builder

• Light weight and super stiff due to vacuum bagged vinylester closed cell foam sandwich construction. Harken top of the line hardware. Carbon mast.
  • Base boat cost of $34,995. Race ready, including carbon mast, sails, and trailer.
  • No license fees, no royalties, no distributor margins. Buy the boat directly from the builder.
  • Used boats range from $15k to $28k.

I would certainly go for a Pulse before either of those, even at $36k but still prefer a non-otb cat - say an Egan 8.3