• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bob Perry

CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

37 minutes ago, valis said:

Thanks, guys.  That song (Cold Sweat, shuffle version by The Boneshakers) is one that I usually introduce to any (appropriate) band I'm in.  I usually play more fills on it, but that night it seemed like I needed to preserve the groove by sticking to the basics.

I enjoy a good thread hijack as much as the next fellow, but for what it's worth I would sure enjoy seeing Catari get splashed!

I'm with ya about Catari.  Been drooling since I first saw the drawings long before DT faked his suicide.

1 hour ago, Rantifarian said:

Just how long has this project been going on?

I remember it from around the days of WLYDO, I think.

Yeah, that's it!  In fact, I think Bob stole the design from me.  Completely.

6 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Valis:

There is a guitar tech in Bellevue that people come to from all over the country, Mike Lull. He builds custom basses too.

Maybe we should plan a road trip and both take our axes in for adjustment. I took my Rick to him when I bought it. My buddy Jeff takes all his guitars to him immediately after he buys them. I'd love to see what he could do with my Jazz bass.

He's in Bellevue so it's a PITA but if we did it together it would be fun. There's'  Chinese seafood joint down the street I'd like to try.

http://www.mikelull.com/

Here's an authentic Sichuan place.  Karaoke and everything.  It's got the atmosphere, the food is not americanized.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/twilight-bellevue?osq=chinese+food

We went with the whole family for my birthday a couple years ago.  my better half didn't want to go in because all the girls with short skirts going to the karaoke joint next door, it looked kinda dicey to her.  But it was my birthday so I prevailed.  Food was great, the best Chinese I've had outside China.  And better than some I've had in China but those are stories for another day.

I have a '78 P-bass that I bought new. This year I decided to spring for a custom Alembic, a small builder in Santa Rosa, CA. They were part of the Dead and LSD scene in the beginning. They invented active pickups. This is what my bass looks like now.

wo15260_carve01.jpg

wo15260_carve03.jpg

Bob, that's good old fashioned ebony. The fretboard and framing veneers are also. The rest is maple, flame for the top, as you can see.

S4b, yeah, expensive. Mine is relatively simple. An Alembic "Essence." Here's a more typical example.

p8_frontview.jpg

15 hours ago, valis said:

And the walrus was me.

That bass needs some serious torsion rod adjustment.  Unfortunately, the way it was built I can't get any of my wrenches on the adjustors.  They are threaded rods with threaded hex sleeves (like very long nuts), but there's not enough space to work with.  I'm sure someone out there has a tool that would fit, but since I never play the thing I haven't worried about it.  Anyway, (Bob) you know how I like my action high...

Have you looked at StewMac for the tool?  The Truss rod on my brand-new Fender dimension bass didn't have enough travel to get the neck relief correct - hadda take the neck off, put a couple washers under the nut, and clamp the neck to a table to induce a reverse bend, then tighten the truss rod to hold it.  Was aggravated to have to do that much to a new instrument, but, it worked. 

1 hour ago, kdh said:

I have a '78 P-bass that I bought new. This year I decided to spring for a custom Alembic, a small builder in Santa Rosa, CA. They were part of the Dead and LSD scene in the beginning. They invented active pickups. This is what my bass looks like now.

wo15260_carve01.jpg

wo15260_carve03.jpg

That oughta be a nice thump-stick when it gets done - hope you find time to share pics of the completed instrument!   

Great looking bass, K. I love the shape of the neck heel where it starts through the body. I believe Alembic #1 was owned by Jack Casady of Jeff Airplane and Hot Tuna.

This is my lefty Collings I35LC, built in Austin by the recently passed Bill Collings, with underwound Jason Lollar pickups. My Gibson custom shop guitars sit unused in cases since Beth gave me this for a birthday present.

I35lc.jpg

Nice axe, CL. You're right about Casady and Alembic #1.

The Alembics are all about getting the sound uncolored from the vibrating string. Hence the solid body, neck-through design, and ebony in the neck. I use a Zoom B3n modeling preamp (for compression) into a Bose F1, which has a flat response. 

You guys are forcing me to do this...

Here's a Gibson "Thunderbird" that I got at a charity auction.  Again, this was at the Petaluma Phoenix Theater, where I was (shall we say) instrumental in the rescuing the youth-oriented theater from its impending conversion into office space.  My friends and I put together an LLC, purchased the in-escrow building from would-be new owner, set up a non-profit, and donated the building.  That was back in 1999, and the Phoenix is still going strong.

The cool thing about this bass is that it was enhanced by none other than bassplaying legend Les Claypool (who has often played at the Phoenix, with and without his band Primus).  You could do much worse than follow the instructions Les has thoughtfully inscribed.

Speaking of puppies, I need to wire up a pickup-select switch for this puppy.

Claypool 1.jpg

Claypool 2.jpg

That is the coolest thing ever!

1 hour ago, kdh said:

By the way, for anyone interested in the effect on frequency response of pickup position, this is a cool site.

http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

Interesting!  But I think the simulation is perhaps not quite accurate, at least if you try to place the pickup on the nut-side of the neck midpoint.  The response should be a mirror image on either side of the octave (the simulation knows nothing about where you choose to pluck the string).

The advice on the lower bout is the best advice for a bass player. I saw him perform a few times. Once, he had a woman dressed as a mermaid playing with him. From the back row, I could finally see that she was playing a sitar and had been ripping rock and blues on it. Buckethead lived with and played with Claypool and is another you don't want to learn from at first. Thanks for showing us that one!

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Great looking bass, K. I love the shape of the neck heel where it starts through the body. I believe Alembic #1 was owned by Jack Casady of Jeff Airplane and Hot Tuna.

This is my lefty Collings I35LC, built in Austin by the recently passed Bill Collings, with underwound Jason Lollar pickups. My Gibson custom shop guitars sit unused in cases since Beth gave me this for a birthday present.

I35lc.jpg

Dang, that is a beautiful guitar.

I have an "off-the-shelf" Gib 335 which is a very nice player; I probably don't know enough about guitars to appreciate anything better...........

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, valis said:

Interesting!  But I think the simulation is perhaps not quite accurate, at least if you try to place the pickup on the nut-side of the neck midpoint.  The response should be a mirror image on either side of the octave (the simulation knows nothing about where you choose to pluck the string).

Here's what Tillman has to say about that on the web page. I have to think about it.

The Symmetry Riddle

The concept of frequency response here is somewhat abstract as one just plays individual notes on a guitar string and it is not a filtering function as such. But if you ripped out the frets and slide the pitch up, the levels of the fundamental and harmonics would follow this curve.

Should the curves be the same for pickups placed at, say, 1/4 the way from the bridge and 1/4 the way from the nut? No, because sliding up the neck is part of the frequency response mechansim and that loses the symmetry.

But for an open string, the discrete harmonics should be the same. To see that effect, turn off the plot and just display the first 16 harmonics, and compare those at symmetrical ends of the vibrating string.

6 minutes ago, kdh said:

Here's what Tillman has to say about that on the web page. I have to think about it.

The Symmetry Riddle

[...]

Should the curves be the same for pickups placed at, say, 1/4 the way from the bridge and 1/4 the way from the nut? No, because sliding up the neck is part of the frequency response mechansim and that loses the symmetry.

But for an open string, the discrete harmonics should be the same. To see that effect, turn off the plot and just display the first 16 harmonics, and compare those at symmetrical ends of the vibrating string.

I have to think about it too.  I'm not buying that "sliding up the neck" thing.  If you have an unfretted string supported at each end, how can the pickup tell the difference between bridge and nut?  Interesting that the harmonics show this symmetry.  I guess I don't understand the freq response plot.

I've been considering an "instruments and playing music" thread, but I think it's more fun to have this stuff scattered around multiple non-related threads.

1 hour ago, valis said:

The cool thing about this bass is that it was enhanced by none other than bassplaying legend Les Claypool (who has often played at the Phoenix, with and without his band Primus).  You could do much worse than follow the instructions Les has thoughtfully inscribed.

Claypool 1.jpg

Claypool 2.jpg

That's so cool. I've seen Les with Primus, The Flying Frog Brigade and Oysterhead. Somehow, I've never met Les but I think that might be better.

One very eccentric talent.

And here's Primus' video of "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver", filmed at -- THE PHOENIX THEATER !!!

Les has occasionally tried out new stuff at the Phoenix.  One time his band played the entire "Animals" album (Pink Floyd) there.  He's been a good friend to the Phoenix.

And this video has a boat in it -- sailing the seas of cheese.

1 hour ago, valis said:

I've been considering an "instruments and playing music" thread, but I think it's more fun to have this stuff scattered around multiple non-related threads.

I think you could start the Music Anarchy thread. I'm too new here...

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dang, that is a beautiful guitar.

I have an "off-the-shelf" Gib 335 which is a very nice player; I probably don't know enough about guitars to appreciate anything better...........

FB- Doug

Thanks. I was playing a few weeks ago with Noah Wotherspoon and Ally Venable, with Noah's rhythm section. At the end, Noah's bassist, a lefty, asked if he could play the Collings a little.  After about 30 minutes we all had to go and he kind of timidly asked what it cost, and said "That's the nicest electric I've ever held."

And no, I'm nowhere near Noah or Ally, but it was all sorts of fun to play with them.

http://www.noahwotherspoon.com/

http://www.allyvenableband.com/

23 hours ago, valis said:

And the walrus was me.

That bass needs some serious torsion rod adjustment.  Unfortunately, the way it was built I can't get any of my wrenches on the adjustors.  They are threaded rods with threaded hex sleeves (like very long nuts), but there's not enough space to work with.  I'm sure someone out there has a tool that would fit, but since I never play the thing I haven't worried about it.  Anyway, (Bob) you know how I like my action high...

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Truss_Rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html

something like that or careful work with a  gouge

other than a nut n saddle, never seen much lignum vitae on a guitar

I have a custom made acoustic with a Port Orford Cedar top. The luthier thought it would be cool to use a boat building wood for the top.

It sounds like shit. He agreed to replace it but I kept it for the novelty.

8 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

I have a custom made acoustic with a Port Orford Cedar top. The luthier thought it would be cool to use a boat building wood for the top.

It sounds like shit. He agreed to replace it but I kept it for the novelty.

I'll order one with a star board top.  That should resonate nicely.  If not, I can cut bait on it.

9 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I35lc.jpg

That is beautiful, and I could play it:-)

9 hours ago, valis said:

Here's a Gibson "Thunderbird" that I got at a charity auction.  Again, this was at the Petaluma Phoenix Theater, where I was (shall we say) instrumental in the rescuing the youth-oriented theater from its impending conversion into office space.  My friends and I put together an LLC, purchased the in-escrow building from would-be new owner, set up a non-profit, and donated the building.  That was back in 1999, and the Phoenix is still going strong.

Speaking of puppies, I need to wire up a pickup-select switch for this puppy.

Claypool 1.jpg

That is wicked!  I love it.  First time I saw Primus they blew the top off my head.  Once we got past the audience chanting "Primus Sucks!!".  Les is amazing.

29 minutes ago, sculpin said:

That is wicked!  I love it.  First time I saw Primus they blew the top off my head.  Once we got past the audience chanting "Primus Sucks!!".  Les is amazing.

I really enjoy Tim "Herb" Alexander's drumming too.  The way he often starts his fills one hit "early" always gets my attention!

10 hours ago, valis said:

I really enjoy Tim "Herb" Alexander's drumming too.  The way he often starts his fills one hit "early" always gets my attention!

Cool sound. I would call them bass and drums centric.

I imagine most of us know the Bitter End on North Sound. Here's what it looks like now.

I hope ND's new house project didn't get whacked this badly. I'm sure he's glad the boat's in North Carolina.

Looks like it was nuked.

Is there a reason they don't build with reinforced concrete in the hurricane belt?

Unfortunately ND's house is only about 7 miles directly downwind of that photo. Fortunately, his house seems to be one of those massive re-inforced concrete bunkers that the Continentals were fond of building when that areas 'dream home' boom was taking place. Unfortunately, the local builders used beach sand for the concrete at the time with maybe a bit of rain washing. Unfortunately rains sufficient to rinse the salt out of beach sand are infrequent in that area. Fortunately I believe a lot of the distraction the has kept CATARI safe in the PSC shed is due to the measures that ND has taken on the house to correct the structural deficiencies from the rotted rebar in the house. Not an easy fix, ask me how I know! I house sat in St John for a late 60's house that had that problem and the underside of all the concrete slabs over the cisterns had delaminated leaving the rusting rebar showing. You should have seen the look on the owners face the first time I took him down into the cistern and explained the situation. Rust waits for no one! That house got a long and expensive fix and I've found it in the post IRMA aerials and it seems to have done just fine. Knowing ND, I'm sure he wanted only the best for his house in the BVI and hopefully it was ready for IRMA's ravages. Word is that Marina Cay suffered badly. 

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like it was nuked.

Is there a reason they don't build with reinforced concrete in the hurricane belt?

You can build in wood as long as you design it properly and tie down properly the structure and the roofing. I nearly designed a structure in timber for a hotel 18 months ago in Cuba until the architect changed his mind and did it in concrete. I would be a bit nervous right now trying to know what happened... This kind of event really put to the test your design!

Those BEYC structures on stilts are pretty old. Maybe not up to modern building standards. I'm curious how Biras and Oil Nut Bay fared.