• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bob Perry

CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

it needs a dinghy garage...

And a helipad?

i just think that dealing with the dinghy is such a hassle, that if i were designing a big custom boat.., some kind of system - better than davits - would be built in

you really don't want the weight that high.., and i hate looking at the thing back there while sailing..., and then you have the question of whether to leave it there for any kind of offshore sailing.., and if it's not there, where is it?.., and the hassle of getting it there.., and taking off the outboard..,and a dinghy on a 65ft boat is going to be a big dinghy...

on a 40fter you don't have many options.., but at 65ft, you start having options

A fine example of white peoples problems. :D

Reminds me of that old blues tune by Blind Lemon Pledge:

"I came home one day and both cars were gone.

I got so mad I threw my drink across the lawn."

Written and originally performed by Martin Mull:

I've often wondered exactly what the attraction is with the "Nav Station". Yes, of course, to navigate. But it also serves as an electronics and electrical panel center, an office/work space, a 'small items catch all spot', etc. In fact, for most folks, I'd posit that very little actual navigation takes place there--but it's a cool space that us boat owners tend to gravitate towards.

Personally, I prefer to stand to the nav table rather than sit at the nav station, perhaps this stems from my professional chart table experience/practice. Few of them really work well when laying out even a folded chart. Providing a true stand up nav station allows the full height from sole to work surface for actually drawer space and real chart stowage. Why lose all that space just for my knees (that aren't there most of the time)?

Nav stations get used alright but would they be used any less without the seating capability or if they were stand up only? I'm thinking that they'd actually be more useful. Is it just me?

I'd want (more exactly, my wife would demand) a nav station opposite the inside helm with a similar forward-facing seat. She doesn't want to face backward and wants the same view I have, but doesn't want to steer.

Thanks a big fucking' lot VALIS for wasting 30 minutes of my morning watching Martin Mull vids!

I had not seen or heard that blues tune in 30 years. It was a lot funnier than I remember.

Thanks for posting that.

Love his L-5.

My favorite...I remember watching it live on Fernwood tonight and falling on the floor laughing

I'd want (more exactly, my wife would demand) a nav station opposite the inside helm with a similar forward-facing seat. She doesn't want to face backward and wants the same view I have, but doesn't want to steer.

Tom, that's a whole 'nuther kettle o fish! But I would agree that a second fwd facing seat is a natural location for a chart table.

Ergonomics and the human form being what they are, it seems difficult to have a space on something under 60 or 70' that permits comfortable lounging while looking out without having to also have relatively high windows. Sitting on a sofa or chair height seat only raises your height of eye to no more than 3 or 3 1/4 ' above the cabin sole. Headroom adds another 3' and that would then need to be all window. This makes for proportionally high windows on smaller size boats. Of course, raised seating is a 'fix' but then it isn't quite as comfortable in my book. It's a 'make do' solution and one I have yet to resolve to my satisfaction.

My Mainecat did it (mostly) but still frustrated me. As nice as most deckhouses / deck salons / pilothouses are, they still fail at doing both jobs. Providing lounging visibility AND standing visibility while viewing forward is just hard to find. (I've been looking. ... and it doesn't matter whether it's power or sail)

You guys are good with the "I'd want or my wife would want" stuff. But what are you willing to give up to get what you want? The space and volume I have is finite. So the next time you post an "i'd want" comment please do me the favor of explaining what you can give up to get your "want". I can work with that and it may be beneficial to the project.

You are missing the secret to a good raised dinette. It simple and I have done it before. You CANNOT raise the dinette one step. You must raise the dinette two steps. This gives you adequate seated headroom, great visibility out of normally proportioned big windows and has the added benefit of putting the eye level of the seated person on the same level as a person standing in the salon. This is done wrong over and over. I have no idea why. There are few hings worse in a boat interior than a raised dinette that puts your eye level even with the lower window sill. This drives me nuts.

We are close to landing this client. Jody is hard at work on a 3D model of the boat now. The model is in its early stages and we have some fine tuning to do yet. But when it's ready to come out and play I'll post it. Jody is amazing. He got the job and a day later he has his first images. He amazes me but he does not surprise me anymore. l like to see stuff pumped out while the excitement level is high. I work very fast myself.

You are missing the secret to a good raised dinette. It simple and I have done it before. You CANNOT raise the dinette one step. You must raise the dinette two steps. This gives you adequate seated headroom, great visibility out of normally proportioned big windows and has the added benefit of putting the eye level of the seated person on the same level as a person standing in the salon. This is done wrong over and over. I have no idea why. There are few hings worse in a boat interior than a raised dinette that puts your eye level even with the lower window sill. This drives me nuts.

Bob, do other designers miss that point? Are they constrained by factors that you a free from? Is this a case of your clients trusting your knowledge on points like this and other designers sqeezing in an extra head and 2 more berths for the "Brochure and Sales" team?

A couple of days ago I was on a boat advertised as a "Deck Salon". It had a raised cabin with larger windows. BUT the cabin sole was not raised much and the cabin had 7-1/2 feet of headroom. The only time I could see out the windows was when I was standing. Seemed strange not to raise the cabin sole and utilize the raised cabin.

Great:

I've seen the same thing on some Oysters. That does not work for me but that is usually done to recapture the volume under the side decks. Good idea bit in the big picture I don;t think ti works. You end up with hatches in the salon that a woman can't even reach and windows she can't see out.

War:

I can't speak for other designers but as arrogant as it may sound I know I have a knack for laying out interiors and juggling the priorities involved. When I begin a new design I don't have to think about the basic dimensions because I have them all committed to memory. I know what works and I know how big stuff has to be to work. You wont find me agonizing as I try to "invent the settee". I may live in a 2D world but it's a complex version of 2D. Jody calls it "the 6th dimension".

OK I'm on my computer now. We'll see how many pictures I can post on the pitiful marina wifi. Actually I took very few pictures at PSC, as they asked me not to post any online, so I decided to just enjoy looking rather than wasting time taking lots of pics. Had lots of fun poking around CATARI and the shop, and they had much valuable information about my boat which was extremely helpful. I will be rerigging the boat this spring so it will be a huge help to have them to answer questions as they come up.

My pilothouse does not have the settee raised above the cabin sole, but there are a set of lower windows below the larger windows on the cabin sides that I can see out of when sitting at the table. Of course the steering station is the prime seat if you want to see out, and I often eat breakfast there if it's too chilly to sit outside. Raising the sole would allow visibility out the big windows as Bob said, but in a 32' boat I'm not sure it would work well enough to justify. There are already a lot of steps up and down for a very small space, any more and I think it would be a safety problem as you literally can't walk more than 2 steps without meeting a stair as it is.

Interior pics were taken with a GoPro which is why they appear to be distorted - very wide angle.

post-38662-0-15310500-1423274649_thumb.jpgpost-38662-0-08490500-1423274667_thumb.jpgpost-38662-0-45852800-1423274692_thumb.jpg

Rasps, please change your avatar...I fucking hate clowns. :o

Any more info on the actual Catari? I need to know when this boat is coming up the Chesapeake so I can roll out the Patuxent and honk and wave at it in my 4KSB as I promised to do years ago.

I've often wondered exactly what the attraction is with the "Nav Station". Yes, of course, to navigate. But it also serves as an electronics and electrical panel center, an office/work space, a 'small items catch all spot', etc. In fact, for most folks, I'd posit that very little actual navigation takes place there--but it's a cool space that us boat owners tend to gravitate towards.

Personally, I prefer to stand to the nav table rather than sit at the nav station, perhaps this stems from my professional chart table experience/practice. Few of them really work well when laying out even a folded chart. Providing a true stand up nav station allows the full height from sole to work surface for actually drawer space and real chart stowage. Why lose all that space just for my knees (that aren't there most of the time)?

Nav stations get used alright but would they be used any less without the seating capability or if they were stand up only? I'm thinking that they'd actually be more useful. Is it just me?

That would be a great setup. Looks like pushing the settee back and removing the locker might cause some problems with the door though. Offset door unsafe of course.

Has anyone built a DS/PH with only a single side deck? It certainly would be functional. Not sure if the aesthetics could be made to work.

Only info I got on CATARI is that she will be launched this spring - not sure where she is headed this summer. Please take pics if you see her floating!

That's a mime, not a clown and that's even worse. Hating clowns is weird but hating mimes is normal & healthy.

Only info I got on CATARI is that she will be launched this spring - not sure where she is headed this summer. Please take pics if you see her floating!

I think last we knew she was headed to ND's new place in the BVIs, but maybe that's after a summer in the Chesapeake. Her teak and black hull will look striking in the islands.

That's a mime, not a clown and that's even worse. Hating clowns is weird but hating mimes is normal & healthy.

I'm amazed that anyone even noticed the avatar. That is the first time I have ever posted an avatar to SA. I'm not sure why I chose that particular scary clown but I maybe hoped to get a reaction with it and you guys have delivered. I guess I can change it now but thanks for noticing. Just don't ever fuck with me or the clown comes back!

I'm amazed that anyone even noticed the avatar. That is the first time I have ever posted an avatar to SA. I'm not sure why I chose that particular scary clown but I maybe hoped to get a reaction with it and you guys have delivered. I guess I can change it now but thanks for noticing. Just don't ever fuck with me or the clown comes back!

Just put a damn boat, or maybe one of your cool ass renderings in there. No one will ever fuck with you here on CA given your reputation. Just get rid of the fucking clown please..they really suck!.... <_<

KDH,

Do you really think that they would do such a thing without the Maestro there?!

My new boat got splashed without my being there! Twice! Hinckley splashed it to mark the bootstripe before it's painted and then for real.

I did get a few pictures.

MVC-005T.jpg

KDH

That is the difference between a Yankee and a Southern Gentleman! You need to go visit and meet Steve at PSC and see just how genteel the place is. I think that he and his Dad spent something amazing like 20 years to dismantle and store and then move and re-assemble an old Plantation home. I'm sure that you could begin to relate to that with your recent adventures in remodeling...

KDH, nice yacht, are your keel draft (board up) and rudder draft the same?

The keel with the board up has less draft than, so protects, the rudder. That view is deceiving.

Pretty darn sure they didn't splash CATARI as I was there two weeks ago and some key things were still missing. But they are definitely getting close to the final details stage so I'm sure there was lots of stuff to figure out.

I will be there when CATARI is splashed. Make no mistake about that.

... and emerge from the shadows to great acclaim only after you see she floats on her lines.

(I kid. The Maestro's boats always float on their lines.)

I think that QUILL is probably the prettiest boat I have ever designed. It is subtle and refined, elegant and I'm pretty sure it will be eye candy for ever. Now we need to get kdh to build it.

I think that QUILL is probably the prettiest boat I have ever designed. It is subtle and refined, elegant and I'm pretty sure it will be eye candy for ever. Now we need to get kdh to build it.

I know about Quail, but you designed Quill too? :) Potayto, potahto…..

I know. I know. A day doesn't go by that I don't think about it. But it's not something I'm going to rush or feel anxious about. I think this is the right way to be with boats.

Jody38_zpsb4af8179.jpg

Wow! It's nice to be reminded from time to time what a great looking boat that is.

Sometimes when I'm drunkish I like to sing:

"I'm just the bottle that pours the wine.

A fragile vessel of harmony in line."

Thanks to David Ball for that inspiration.

That would be a great setup. Looks like pushing the settee back and removing the locker might cause some problems with the door though. Offset door unsafe of course.

I wouldn't mind the offset entry fail.

To answer Bob's question about what I would give up: whatever is necessary would probably be my (her) answer. Make the two seats then do whatever can be done with remaining space.

Now I'm confused- I thought Quill was the boat you own, the SW42, and Quail was the potential new boat. Of course I quail before Bob like the undertaker before Vito.

Now I'm confused- I thought Quill was the boat you own, the SW42, and Quail was the potential new boat. Of course I quail before Bob like the undertaker before Vito.

That's right, Tucky.

Talking or viewing a pilothouse.

Imagiro 60. If there is (was ) a boat always on my mind is the William Garden's Oceanus. I am not alone. The combination of a daysailer with fast sailing are great combinations. But, it is in relation to the Pilot-House that I am writing this. I like the look of his house and without changing much, I incorporated it into this plan. The treatment of the windows with curvatures in the roof top, and the lower profile are attractive. I believe.

post-32003-0-41356200-1424406864_thumb.jpg

Talking or viewing a pilothouse.

Imagiro 60. If there is (was ) a boat always on my mind is the William Garden's Oceanus. I am not alone.

Yes, you are certainly not alone! Oceanus is one of the all time iconic vessels. I too think of her often. Kim

The house on OCEANUS belongs to Bill Garden. It was perfect in its time and place. I'll try my best to come up with my own raised salon house solutions. We stuck a butterfly hatch on the deck salon house while we were playing on Jody's computer via Skype the other day. It looked very good up there. It looked "original".

Start with fifty bucks a pound and go up from there depending on carbon fiber and teak options....

Start with fifty bucks a pound and go up from there depending on carbon fiber and teak options....

Depends if its in season. :rolleyes:

WmFast:

It would depend entirely on the yard you chose. It could range from $675,000 to 1 million.

My 63'er ICON was built in New Zealand. A well known US East Coast yard bid also. Their bid was twice the NZ bid. They were surprised when they didn't get the job!

This may have been asked and answered (sorry)...but do we have any late pics of the progress to date??

Yes, a nod to William Garden, the most versatile yacht designer on the planet. The point is that the boat has a similar destiny with Oceanus and not only about a pilothouse, but function and goals all around.

post-32003-0-09619400-1424556251_thumb.jpg

Ralphie:

No date set yet. I was supposed to fly back this month but we postponed the trip till next month. One more trip to check things out before the boat leaves the yard. I will certainly keep the group updates on the launch date.

Ralphie:

No date set yet. I was supposed to fly back this month but we postponed the trip till next month. One more trip to check things out before the boat leaves the yard. I will certainly keep the group updates on the launch date.

Hello Bob,

Fantastic boat. Beats the "plastic fantastic" crap put out today (JMO), or "vacuum cleaner boats" as a friend of mine calls them. Or IKEA boats.

BTW, I used to have a heavy construction field office down the street in Fullerton, CA area from PSC yard and shop (late 90s). Are they still there? I used to visit on my lunch hour, great folks.

The Foam miester

I refer to the present re-incarnation of Pacific Seacraft Corporation as the 'Geographically Challenged PSC' as they are now in Washington, North Carolina. They have taken the fine reputation of the original PSC to new heights with the CATARI and she should be launching in the near future but I'm sure Bob will keep us posted on that long anticipated event.

http://www.pacificseacraft.com/566287/renderings/

It's good to see you finally hit your stride, Bob.

We never thought you'd make it!

Seriously, you're currently on a damn good run. Congrats!

Well, update just in. WHL and I aer still going back to PSC but there won;t be a launch just yet. Damn!

I've been there so many times now I;'m starting to develop an accent. I might even try hush puppies again this time.

You should have seen the face that Bob made at the little roadside BBQ place just up the road from PSC when he tried his first HushPuppie. 'Why would anyone want to eat that?'

Listen to him now...

Well, update just in. WHL and I aer still going back to PSC but there won;t be a launch just yet. Damn!

I've been there so many times now I;'m starting to develop an accent. I might even try hush puppies again this time.

When I had the good fortune to do some work with some folks from Charlotte I learned it is always y'all, and any woman over say 25 has to be called ma'am. Drove my then boss (a 30 something woman) nuts, so we all took to it.

Sculps:

Kind of like In Taiwan.

There was this big difference ins calling a woman "Shou jia"( young woman) and "tai tai ("wife). If you called the young woman ":tai tai" it was an insult. Even if she was obviously a wife., If you called any woman
"tai tai" it was an insult even if they were 55 years old. Maybe Elagua can help us here.

You should have seen the face that Bob made at the little roadside BBQ place just up the road from PSC when he tried his first HushPuppie. 'Why would anyone want to eat that?'

Listen to him now...

Y'all got Bob eating shoes? :huh:

Cruel! ;)

What? There ain't no hush puppies in the PNW? Next thing is you're going to tell me there ain't no BBQ. How you people live, I have no idea.

We don't have grits either. Corn dogs are only found at fairs here, not at any places that sell real food.

Am I correct in thinking that those Hush Puppies are essentially balls of deep fried corn dog batter?

We don't have grits either. Corn dogs are only found at fairs here, not at any places that sell real food.

Am I correct in thinking that those Hush Puppies are essentially balls of deep fried corn dog batter?

Only in Canada.

Seriously, they're less bready than corndog/cornbread batters and tend to use a coarser ground cornmeal but you're essentially correct in that they're a ball of corn-based batter that's deep fried.

I once asked what a "conch fritter" is. I got (in southern accent) "It's like a hush puppy with little bits of conch in it." To which I asked, "What's a hush puppy?" I figured I better not ask "What's a conch?"

I now know better.

"I believe the story is that at restaurants that served battered fish, when some batter dripped into the fat with no fish, they let it cook and fed it to the dogs to keep them quiet. "

Ahhhh,,,,now I get it.

Clam cakes are a similar thing found mostly in Rhode Island. Substitute diced clam for the conch. Very yummy as an accompaniment to some New England style clam chowdah. None of that crappy Manhattan or Rhode Island style chowder for me please.