• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bob Perry

CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

WHL and I just got back from a visit to PSC yard in North Carolina. I was quite impressed with the work the yard is doing. There were some fine tuning issues but other than some minor details everything was great.

PSC63profile_zpsdb8bad6a.jpg

PSC63int_zpse53bf89b.jpg

I'll let you write your own caption for this shot. That's me, the client in the black shirt and Steve Brodie, yard owner, in the blue shirt.

PSC63groupshot_zpsa237915f.jpg

Looks gorgeous Bob! Beautiful work.

Curious what the wood/stain is...it looks a lot blonder than teak...but maybe it's just new.

BGD:

We are using mahogany for most of the joinery but we are using walnut for the bar in the salon and the large "bureau" in the owner's cabin aft.

We will have a s.s. rail fiddle for the galley and bar counters.

Love the look of the stainless port lights in the black hull under the rubrail. Very handsome interior. A beauty inside and out!

Thanks Lono and Grey. I am very happy with it. One change we made during this visit was to get rid of the teak eyebrow on the pilot house, drop the s.s. handrail on top of the PH and move the s.s. rail over to where the eyebrow would have gone. This should look very good and provide the perfect position for a hand rail as you go forward. We will wrap this s.s. handrail around the forward corners of the PH but we will not continue it across the front of the PH. The s.s. guy, Steve, at PSC, is sooooooo damn good that we want to showcase his work where we can. He made great "princess seats" for the stern pulpit. But the client does not like them being called "princess seats". So with a concerted team effort we have decided to call one seat the "princess seat" and the other one a "bad ass mother fucker seat". The owner likes that.

It's a complex two level cockpit. There is standing headroom under the overhang forward. The aft end of the cockpit is raised so the owner's short wife can see over the pilot house.

Here we are trying to figure out where to put our beers.

PSC63cockpit_zps37af1a7d.jpg

Wow. Except for that wheel - I would recommend replacing it with something a little less pedestrian.

Oh come on! Slap a little varnish on it and it will look GREAT........well as good as any wheel can look.

Boat is screaming out for a proper tiller.

It needs water. When is launch day?

Rols:

That depends on who you ask.

I say January.

In that photo we are discussing the placement of the electric winch buttons and all the shite that has to fit into the binnacle. I am not a fan of binnacles like this but these days people want everything right there in front of them.

I'll post more photos when I write my blog entry this weekend.

Windward: I'm wearing Wranglers and I'm the only guy without a blue shirt. The braces were my only style statement.

They have a nice Mexican lady that spends all morning sweeping the concrete shop floor and then after lunch comes back and wet mops it too! Never seen anything like it.

I think that binnacle might have room for a Kegerator! Solves one big problem...

It's a complex two level cockpit. There is standing headroom under the overhang forward. The aft end of the cockpit is raised so the owner's short lovely wife can see over the pilot house.

I think this is what you meant...

Thanks Pete. You are correct. But the owner's wife is not tall and having the sight lines arranged for her was a critical element when you have a deck this complex.

This rendering is now obsolete but it's damn close. It does not show the scuttle or the few new winches we added.

SN1_zps02db5a15.jpg

Thanks Lono and Grey. I am very happy with it. One change we made during this visit was to get rid of the teak eyebrow on the pilot house, drop the s.s. handrail on top of the PH and move the s.s. rail over to where the eyebrow would have gone. This should look very good and provide the perfect position for a hand rail as you go forward. We will wrap this s.s. handrail around the forward corners of the PH but we will not continue it across the front of the PH. The s.s. guy, Steve, at PSC, is sooooooo damn good that we want to showcase his work where we can. He made great "princess seats" for the stern pulpit. But the client does not like them being called "princess seats". So with a concerted team effort we have decided to call one seat the "princess seat" and the other one a "bad ass mother fucker seat". The owner likes that.

We shall expect that seat to be engraved B.A.M.F.S.

Thanks Pete. You are correct. But the owner's wife is not tall and having the sight lines arranged for her was a critical element when you have a deck this complex.

This rendering is now obsolete but it's damn close. It does not show the scuttle or the few new winches we added.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble....

To my eye, it really is a stunningly beautiful boat. If you had told me that you were designing a 61'er with 2 masts, 2 cockpits, cutter rigged, and a pilothouse with standing room, I would probably have thought that it would be too cluttered, and could not look good. I give the owner credit for the vision to undertake this, and to you for making it look so good while still getting all these functional details right.

Thanks Pete.

It is not "cutter rigged". It is a pure ketch with two headsails. And you are very, very right. It was a real, challenge to deal with all the clutter. I had a lot of help from Tim O'Connell (WHL) on the laying out of the deck, the rig details and the choice of all the hardware. Honestly I'm not sure I could have done it without his help. I could have but it would not have been so well thought out and people would be walking around mutterring "fucking Bob Perry".

Wow. Except for that wheel - I would recommend replacing it with something a little less pedestrian.

I was thinking even the faux wheel looked nicely made.

Semi - You know, you're right, for a mock-up that's a hell of a wheel.

Bob - Thanks so much for sharing the photos and parts of the process with us. I'm a racer, but think this boat is stunning.

I cant imagine the feeling of designing something on paper and then seeing it in real life like this. After all these years, still give you chills?

No Maui, it gives me cracked cuticles.

Look at it like this:

I love to cook. I'm not good but I try hard. Tonight I am trying a recipe that Gatekeeper sent me. ( He says it works) Yeah, yeah, yeah, we exchange recipes. Bite me.

It's Kung Pao Chicken. I am playing a bit with the recipe. I read two other recipes just to get the feel of the dish. It's really quite easy. Just requires some prep time.

So, I just made the "sauce". I smelled it and Pow! I can't believe I made something that smells this good. I am amazing. Doesn't matter that 2 billion people have cooked this before.

It's like that with boats. You follow the recipes. You mix and match, a bit from here, a bit from there and add your own touches, some spice, lots of wine and you reek ah! You appear to be amazing. "I cant believe I did that."

Semi:

Everything that PSC does is "nicely made". They are great people. They are the kind of people you send your kids off to stay with.

What a project! Just exquisite--- Love the midships cockpit, unless you are above it it is invisible. Looking forward to seeing photos of Catari under sail,

Tongue in cheek (half) where is the stripper pole? Does the companions ladder get a vertical hand hold for coming down or going up? Pinned and hinged so it swings out of the way for engine access? Is a folding wheel planned.

Watching this boat come together makes me realize there are some friggin smart people on this forum.

Absolutely beautiful Bob. It is getting cold, she should winter down this way.

Bird:

Pass that bottle to me.

Sorry Bob, are the hand holds high enough on the ladder. I just saw a stripper pole as a solution. Wheel ... a friend has a folder on his Catalina 34 that makes getting fore or aft easier.

Bob, I see six or seven steps down. The angle of the photo does not show the height of the handrail well. A vertical (stripper) pole might be a good hand hold in the galley area there. Or not!

Speaking of food...what stove is that?

Bob Fucking Perry does draw a nice galley...

Feexed.

Rols:

That depends on who you ask.

I say January.

In that photo we are discussing the placement of the electric winch buttons and all the shite that has to fit into the binnacle. I am not a fan of binnacles like this but these days people want everything right there in front of them.

I'll post more photos when I write my blog entry this weekend.

Windward: I'm wearing Wranglers and I'm the only guy without a blue shirt. The braces were my only style statement.

Bob, A few years back I fitted a remote system for winches, Kind of looked like a TV remote but had "furl - unfurl" etc.

Don't know if Paul will like the idea or not, just putting the idea out.

Hey. I found a photo!

post-21762-0-73800200-1412748524_thumb.jpg

No one looks very happy in those pictures. If someone was building me that boat, or if I'd built that boat, or if I'd designed that boat I like to think I'd be looking a lot happier than that. Perhaps Bob was being a PITA and putting a bit of a downer on things.

I like the autopilot control and a switch for my windlass at the binnacle.

I have a remote for the cabintop winch like that so I have more flexibility to see how the roll into the boom is going. I rarely use it.

Bob, please consider the stainless steel winch switches rather than the black plastic ones. You can see one in this picture near the winch at the height transition of the cockpit coaming.

IMG_1281_zpsc3c42753.jpg

Bloke:

I assure you that everyone was happy, especially me. We were discussing serious things on a serious boat. While we had our jokes, most of the time we were working and making serious decisions. We were not "yucking it up".

Floater:

I will definitely pass your remote idea onto the client. WHL will be here today to work on the project and I'll show it to him.

Here are the guys having a good laugh. That is Thumper, the foreman, in the scuttle hatch, Steve, the yard owner is to his right, Tim O'Connell is on the port side of the cockpit and Paul, the client is sitting aft to starboard. Note that I am not in the photo. I am probably off being a PITA. Fact is I work at not being a PITA with a builder. I am firm at times when I see something I don't like. Being firm and expecting everything to be correct is not being a PITA. It is being professional.

PSChappy1_zps8fb2b123.jpg

I love the ventilation detail in the galley under the cabinet doors. If it isn't a ventilation detail, I still love it.

It is a vent hood Tuckster. It vents out the center cockpit coaming. There is also a large hatch right above the galley. There are large opening ports in the cabin trunk and in the center cockpit well. We have got the ventilation issued covered.

I like the autopilot control and a switch for my windlass at the binnacle.

I have a remote for the cabintop winch like that so I have more flexibility to see how the roll into the boom is going. I rarely use it.

Bob, please consider the stainless steel winch switches rather than the black plastic ones. You can see one in this picture near the winch at the height transition of the cockpit coaming.

IMG_1281_zpsc3c42753.jpg

We have the autopilot control in front of the helm on the binnacle, beside the ZEUS 2 Touch, along with the bow thruster. There are other switches either side of the binnacle e.g. MOB, lights, horn....

The Harken winch push-buttons are using stainless covers. We used the plastic ones only for testing different locations. The primaries will use the large Harkens, while the other winches are using smaller, and more discreet back-lit stainless push buttons.

It is a vent hood Tuckster. It vents out the center cockpit coaming. There is also a large hatch right above the galley. There are large opening ports in the cabin trunk and in the center cockpit well. We have got the ventilation issued covered.

I think it was talking about the cutouts at the bottom of the galley cabinets.

You are right Austin. That is a vent detail that PSC came up with and it is repeated throughout the boat. Quite nice but I can't take any credit for it.

70:

That's the refer. It's quite large.

Look at it like this:

I love to cook. I'm not good but I try hard. Tonight I am trying a recipe that Gatekeeper sent me. ( He says it works) Yeah, yeah, yeah, we exchange recipes. Bite me.

Ya, what he said...bite BOB!!

Seeing this beautiful boat come together is a real treat. The amount of thought, form the designer, the builder and the client, that goes into the smallest details is amazing and eloquently illustrates the difference between building a custom boat and picking one off the shelf from a production builder or Yachtworld.

Thank you for sharing and please keep it coming.

Thanks Py.

If you have forgotten the layout here is one that is almost current. My nice, deep, practical, comfortable, good looking and nap friendly starboard salon settee has now been replaced by silly built in chairs, oh the horror!

Rather wish they had put the galley sink where I had drawn it. But I suspect the owner had it put where he wanted it. ( Bob, Bob, Bob,,,,it's not your boat!")

If you have not been to my web site lately you might take another look. TomL has made some very nice additions. He has worked his ass off to make my web site grand. He's good. Persnickety but good.

Luckylayout_zps8d2c6538.jpg

No nap station should ever be taken out of service...naps are very much a part of my happiest sailing experiences.

When I finally strike it rich and order my tailored version of this beautiful boat, she gets lots of napping modifications!

A word on the plan view:

Notice how the deck line appears to almost flare out as it approaches the transom?

This is a bit complex but that is because the line I show represents the extremity of the hull and that means the tumblehome is not shown.

Does that make sense?

i like the look of the mahogany (i guess) counter top in the galley, but i'm thinking it might not be very practical - not that it matters much i guess

No nap station should ever be taken out of service...naps are very much a part of my happiest sailing experiences.

When I finally strike it rich and order my tailored version of this beautiful boat, she gets lots of napping modifications!

You are right, Napping is very much a part of the cruising experience. My dad and I have it down to a fine art, my father in law does not understand it. To him naps are a sign of weakness. To me they one of the great pleasures when I am on the boat.

70:

I let my clients chose decor items like counter tops. If they left it to me it would be red formica. You are correct. It is mahogany.

Bob, Bob, Bob... All the cool kids know that avacado formica is coming back.

I think the mahogany is a fine choice for the counters, especially with the rest of the galley painted. I think the worst thing we can do is use a patterned Corian or other material that draws attention. To me a countertop shouldn't draw your eye.

As far as practicality, like Corian mahogany can be refinished if need be, and as a hardwood, especially with an oil finish, it's as practical as anything, in my view.

70:

I let my clients chose decor items like counter tops. If they left it to me it would be red formica. You are correct. It is mahogany.

Like these?

post-106106-0-46290300-1412860005_thumb.png

post-106106-0-12696400-1412860013_thumb.png

We used a panel with slot vents like that under the sink in a kitchen we remodeled. Practical and cool looking, to my eye.

ND, Bob and Kim - y'all have given us a lot of insight into something that many of us wouldn't have otherwise been able to enjoy. My boatbuilding experience included bandsaws, lead paint, and damn few drawings. Thanks for letting the peanut gallery vicariously enjoy what y'all have done.

Bob,you need a settee to nap on,chairs are too uncomfortable? HTFU !

Red Formica-They got a whole range of more interesting colours and textures now.

It seems you have a choice of Puritan White with Hardwood Trim or Hardwood White with a Puritan Trim.It's a custom boat and it's not going to make a profit for the first owner when he (or his estate) sells it so why not make an interior with a bit of imagination.If you can come up with an arty name for the boat then surely you could come up with an interior that would at least show a modicum of taste and individuality,something different from what Nathaniel did a 100+ yrs ago!

Anybody who thinks dark is a good hull colour has never been anywhere warm or doesn't give a fuck about the rest of the anchorage so long as the generator and A/C can work 24/7

Rob

I find really dark blue and black show off a boats lines the best. Not sure I'd want to own anything but a white boat but I'm a lazy SOB. I really like this black hull on CATARI.

Sorry if I missed this, but I'm wondering about the forward cockpit. I don't think I've seen a boat with dual cockpits like that before. Is it just a nice place to sit that you might as well include on a boat this long with this rig? Or is there a deeper reason?

Well, ND and I went round and round about aft cockpit vs center cockpit and in what I assume was a near drunken stupor I suggest we could have both. The cc is intended as a lounging area and a place for a cockpit table for dining with Al Fresco. It will be a great napping area. We have laid out the sailing handling functions very, very carefully to take advantage of the two cockpits. I have to say that having two companionways on a boat this size has serious advantages. People can come and go without having to go through the owner's cabin aft. Lots and lots of thought went into this configuration and how best to make it functional and versatile.

Sorry if I missed this, but I'm wondering about the forward cockpit. I don't think I've seen a boat with dual cockpits like that before. Is it just a nice place to sit that you might as well include on a boat this long with this rig? Or is there a deeper reason?

Swans and Baltics have had the dual cockpits for years.

Punter is correct. There is nothing new to dual cockpits. I'm not sure the Baltic and Swan center cockpits were as far away from the aft cockpit as mine but the concept is identical.

I used to sail on a Hinckley 65 that had dual cockpits although the aft one was more of a 'rumble seat' for the master stateroom aft. No sailing done from there. We did duct tape the companionway doors shut tight and fill the aft cockpit with fresh water while at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club dock after they kicked us out of the club saunas (steam room actually)for having naked women in the exclusive bastion of the menfolk. Should have seen the look on the face of the little old banker still wearing his knee socks as he came through the door. His glasses had fogged up and it took him a while to see what all the giggling was about. He didn't even accept the generous offer of a Dark and Stormy from the Thermos jug one of our girls offered. The hot tub in the aft cockpit didn't improve our status much, but those old farts sure didn't mind oogling the girls from the bar windows!

I think that ND would have approved... His center cockpit will lend itself to the hot tub since the aft cockpit has too much real sailing stuff going on.

I used to sail on a Hinckley 65 that had dual cockpits although the aft one was more of a 'rumble seat' for the master stateroom aft. No sailing done from there. We did duct tape the companionway doors shut tight and fill the aft cockpit with fresh water while at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club dock after they kicked us out of the club saunas (steam room actually)for having naked women in the exclusive bastion of the menfolk. Should have seen the look on the face of the little old banker still wearing his knee socks as he came through the door. His glasses had fogged up and it took him a while to see what all the giggling was about. He didn't even accept the generous offer of a Dark and Stormy from the Thermos jug one of our girls offered. The hot tub in the aft cockpit didn't improve our status much, but those old farts sure didn't mind oogling the girls from the bar windows!

I think that ND would have approved... His center cockpit will lend itself to the hot tub since the aft cockpit has too much real sailing stuff going on.

Man oh man - how can anyone get so old and stuffy that they would have naked women thrown out of a sauna? I had one of the best nights of my life in exactly that situation at a ski hill.

The same kind of people who get all shitty about naked babies at the beach I guess.

You must have never been to Bermuda. Stiff upper lip and all. West Vancouver? You must hang out at Wreck Beach? Yeah, I agree with you about getting that old and stuffy. I think what really happened after we grabbed out Thermos jugs and the girls grabbed their jugs and we all beat a hasty retreat through the basement out to the docks and onto our boat. The unsuspecting old guy went tottering off towards the bar muttering about naked women in the steam room and his cronies at the bar took the opportunity to imply that he was imagining things again so he went to the club offices and got a more favorable reception there. The funny thing is that when we (the whole crew) first went to the club bar for a celibratory D&S after out passage from St Martin, the three ladies were refused entry to the bar. They were told that they could sit in the lobby and that their drinks would be brought to them there.

That went over well with the distaff side of our crew, (they would kick my butt for using that term!) and went back to the boat and started the blender sports making D&S smoothies which soon found their way into the aforementioned thermos bottles. They had already scoped out the vacant steam room and sent one of the trio to delivery an invitation to us guys at the bar (delivered by discreet note by the doorman) to thank the gents in the bar for their gentile hospitality and join the randy wenches who had started the party in the steam room without us! A loyal crew is just that, so we wasted no time joining the fun in the basement.

I really think that individually any one of those old stuffed shirts would have gladly joined us but under the circumstances, they just had to enjoy the event vicariously. Just a form of mob mentality. I wonder if the bar there is still off limits to the ladies?

Thanks kdh. I appreciate that. Where you live there are a lot of beautiful boats including your own beauty. I would assume your bar for aesthetics is rather high.

A "masterpiece"? I'm going to have to think about that.

I hope my meatloaf tonight turns out as well.

Somehow I can't see my wife tasting the meatloaf and saying, "That's a masterpiece."

She's more likely to say, "I wanted chicken."

Burt it's fall and the meatloafs are tuning color. ( ok, meatloaves)