• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bump-n-Grind

what are you listening to right now ... part trois

after my making out post this song came on....

I love it:

knocking on forbidden doors by Enigma

Jim Gordon on drums, incredible gigging history for him.
Very sad ending for him though.

Bassist Herbie Flowers...wow!!

this was 1980?? The FIL got around

He had worked on several projects with John Williams going back to the very early 70's.

In 1971, world-famous Australian classical guitarist John Williams released Changes, his first recording of non-classical music (and the first on which he played electric guitar). Among the musicians working on the album were Herbie Flowers and Tristan Fry, an established session drummer who was also the timpanist for the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. The three musicians became friends, kept in touch and continued working together on various projects. Fry, Flowers, and Francis Monkman were performers on Williams' 1978 album Travelling, another cross-genre recording which was a substantial commercial success.

The success of Travelling inspired Williams and Flowers to set up their own long-term cross-genre band. Fry and Monkman were swiftly recruited, and the first Sky lineup was completed with the addition of Australian session guitarist Kevin Peek. Peek was equally adept at classical guitar and pop/rock styles, having built up a reputation both as a chamber musician and as a long-standing member of Cliff Richard's band (as well as for Manfred Mann, Lulu, Tom Jones, Jeff Wayne, Shirley Bassey and Gary Glitter). The band began writing and recording instrumental music drawing on their collective experience of classical, light pop, progressive rock, light entertainment and jazz. After a protracted search for a record company, Sky signed with the small European label Ariola Records.Sky was basically Herbie's idea and compiled with a bunch of his studio mates.

These guys are all interconnected having worked on all sorts of projects throughout their careers.

Here is a version of Toccata only with Richard Durant on guitar. Durant was also a member of SKY in a later iteration.

I have never met someone as humble as Richard Durant. Amazing talent.

YW

If you liked that you may also enjoy this.

Speedo on guitar. If you aren't familiar with Chris Spedding google him. You will be shocked at some of his accomplishments.

He is a real chameleon when it comes to playing guitar and shifts from on genre to another effortlessly. Real quiet guy who lets his guitar speak for him.

Here is another interesting piece. Guitar on this is Big Jim Sullivan. Who is amazing in his own right and as rumor has it, taught Ritchie Blackmore how to play guitar.

Bassist Herbie Flowers...wow!!

Hob's, HF's claim to fame is that he has preformed on more songs to make it into the BillBoard top 100 than any other musician in history. The number is said to be around 500. As a sessions man, he got around some.

Last one for now.

Just messin' around with a bunch of friends.....

Herbie dressed as Noddy and playing tuba.

Something he, I am told, did as part of Sargent Peppers LHCB

Grateful Dead 10-27-79

Great show. Great version of Dancin' in the Streets.

At 8:29 you hear an equipment failure on stage behind keyboards that resulted in amps and stack of speakers bursting into flames. Phil Lesh wanders to center stage for safer grounds and Brent Mydland runs for his life and the band keeps playin' on.

The Remains (aka Barry and the Remains)

These guys came out of BU and Boston, could've been BIG, but broke up too early. Real mid-60s garage-rock we used to dance to:

Somebody told me there's a girl out there

with love in her eyes and flowers.... in her hair

Utterly sublime, JPJ

Tks 4 posting Sol

Hey Capo - thanks for that - I like what those guys are playing. Kinda cool to see younger guys expanding that genre.

the Stringdusters rock...they do a lot of bluegrass inspired (like my band kinda) Dead tunes...

BMiller, sounds like you and me dig the same music. This does not mean we are going steady. Saw Robin Trower a couple of nights ago in Melbourne, Fl. He was so great, 71 yrs old. Did all his hits and more. Good time, got a couple of tees. He comes around here every other year or so. kevin

Thanks Cap - I really like Derek Trucks - just did a headstock fix on an SG that looked just like the one playing slide..

When I saw Eric Clapton 2 years ago, Derek Trucks was playing with him. Quite a talented guitarist IMO. I hadn't listened to this band of his before, I like it.

This guy is awfully good and not too well known. I think he should be. I saw him at a festival in a tiny German town about 3 years ago and he was amazing. I went to talk to him after his set and he was quite nice and signed the CDs I bought from him. Just good basic old school hard rock. Think Lava Lamp, tie-dye sheets hanging from the ceiling, incense and a bong.

{media}

[/media]

Ok, last one. It's that damn Ryan McGarvey song I posted gave me a taste for the classics. I am having some serious flashbacks to my days as a young cold warrior in Germany. We would go to my friends cellar apartment, smoke some hash, drink some beer and maybe drop a little acid sometimes and play shit like this all night. Don't worry, we only did this sort of thing on our off duty time. When we were on duty, helping keep the world safe for democracy we were usually sober. Usually.

This guy is awfully good and not too well known. I think he should be. I saw him at a festival in a tiny German town about 3 years ago and he was amazing. I went to talk to him after his set and he was quite nice and signed the CDs I bought from him. Just good basic old school hard rock. Think Lava Lamp, tie-dye sheets hanging from the ceiling, incense and a bong.

Whats a bong?

When a potato cannon just won't do the job. One of the best angry songs ever. A Canadian, he originally wrote the song after seeing Guatemalan survivors of a civil war there in a refugee camp in Mexico. His anger builds until the 4th verse, his a masterpiece of controlled rage, the 4th refrain is a classic punchline to the song. His finger picking on the guitar is incredible as well. The song could apply to todays world just as well. A true lefty manifesto for sure.