Bump-n-Grind

what are you listening to right now ... part trois

that whole album of John doing old country songs as duets is fucking brilliant. lucinda, iris, trisha yearwood and such great old songs. In spite of ourselves is the only Prine original on it i believe. his accoustic guitar on "in a town this size" sends shivers up my spine. This record always reminds me that country music can be very musical and include stellar, evocative musicianship.

I saw SRV's last show at Alpine Valley. I'm sort of a death knell to musicians.

SRV

Jerry Garcia

Dave Brubeck

Doc Watson

So....you're going to see Taylor Swift next?

Haha! She makes a lot of people happy. I'm OK with her. My neighbor's daughter idolizes her.

She's not exactly on my Pandora though. I'm too old for that bubble gum crap.

An excellent cover of a Buzzcocks tune.

Haha! She makes a lot of people happy. I'm OK with her. My neighbor's daughter idolizes her.

She's not exactly on my Pandora though. I'm too old for that bubble gum crap.

Ryan Adams recorded, interpreted Swift's 1989 album...i'ts pretty damn good.

Not listening to this at the moment, but damn sure enjoyed it Saturday night live at Nissan Pavilion. I've wanted to catch the Doobie Brothers since I was 14 years old - at 50, I finally got to see 'em live.

I can do this though. An all time favorite.

Saw Jane's addiction at that Big Day Out one year. Perry was wasted and not the best. While we were watching the antics I asked a guy near me "so what kinda shit makes you do that?" Without any hesitation he replied "smack".

For three days I'll be listening to the inaugural year of the http://www.vertexfestival.com/ rather we want to or not.

This was very contentious here in our little town when first proposed. Even though the site is in the county it directly borders the town, and many neighbors like us. The promoter offered $10 tickets for those most effected so we got some and went to day one last night.

The venue is one of the prettiest you will ever see. High mountain meadows with a creek running through and stands of ancient cottonwood trees.

The crowd was eclectic, young and bizarre, what you would expect for a music festival. We were definitely part of the senior minority contingent.

It was fun even though there was only one band we remotely recognized day one, Alabama Shakes. We will go tonight to see Graham Nash and Trey Anastasio tomorrow.

Here is the lineup. How many do you recognize? http://www.vertexfestival.com/lineup/

Graham Nash did pretty good for a 74 y/o rock star. It was just him and Shane Fontayne. Mostly old CSN stuff with a few new songs mixed in. It was fun to watch the 20's kids singing along. At least of few of them appreciate the classics.

Right after he was done a group from down under started on the opposite stage and the place went nuts. After that some guy who calls himself Duke Dumont got going with his DJ act. The first few bass notes made my insides bounce. Then it was really nuts. We hung around for a short time and then watched a blue grass band at the third stage. All in all a fun night.

Wow - Kinga Glyk is amazing.... thanks for that.

Was watching vids from bands Led Zep ripped off (some they got sued for, others not so much) and ended up finding a great vid of a CD I stashed away long ago. Will have to dig it up again !

A good five years before anyone heard of Punk, there was Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, for us greater Boston boys, out there "driving faster miles an hour----with the Radio on.."

Roadrunner, Roadrunner:

Comon' people, someone else must be listening to something cool!

And if you do not know the last one, here's the original. Don't watch unless it's Friday.

That's nice.

There's a string of James Taylor here...

Great group of Musicians he has with him.

Not always a fan of cover bands but these guys just crush it!

David Bowie wrote that for them right? It totally sounds like a Bowie song, when I was a kid I thought it was.

this was a very early REM b-side, not on an album until it was dug up and put on a compilation. The lyrics are Michael Stipe(still with a strong Macon accent) reading/singing the back of an obscure gospel album. And it totally works, great song

that's cool as hell. The song was charity! During those early years Bowie was a font of amazingly good songs.

From wiki

Regarded as one of glam rock's anthems,[2][3] the song originated after Bowie came into contact with Mott the Hoople's bassist Peter Watts and learned that the band was ready to split due to continued lack of commercial success. When the band rejected his first offer of a composition, "Suffragette City" (from The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars), Bowie wrote "All the Young Dudes" in short order especially for them, allegedly sitting cross-legged on the floor of a room in Regent Street, London, in front of the band's lead singer, Ian Hunter.[4]

With its dirge-like music, youth suicide references and calls to an imaginary audience, the song bore similarities to Bowie's own "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide", the final track from Ziggy Stardust. Described as being to glam rock what "All You Need Is Love" was to the hippie era, the lyrics name-checked contemporary star T. Rex and contained references to The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.[4]NME editors Roy Carr and Charles Shaar Murray have described the track as "one of that rare breed: rock songs which hymn the solidarity of the disaffected without distress or sentimentality".[2]

https://soundcloud.com/gratergoods/grateful-dead-scarlet-fire

Found this last night and is by far theeee best audio for scarlet-fire 5/8/77. So Jerry starts into his beautiful roll at ~5.21and by ~6.40, Bobby's got the rhythm and Jerry flows into an incredible solo, starting at 6.54. Gaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I wish I was there !! Alas, but I was only five months old, and on the other side of the country in the pnw. :D Were you guys made to sit down back during these shows, in the auditoriums with chairs bolted down to the floor? I mean, was dancing frowned upon in some venues?

I'm doing guilty pleasure '80s music right now.

Never thought I'd say that.

T'Pau just played...That was a wayback machine moment involving an MGB, a boat and a girl with extremely large bewbs.

Happy Birthday Edgar!!