Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just A Skosh

VOR 2014-2015 - Leg 2

Southern Cross ....

Wow. If you had read any of the previous posts you'd realize this was a running joke and that I was baiting certain people on here who are partial to some of the girls on SCA. Nothing more. So sod off.

Speak your mind mate - don't hold back.

Presume you weren't needling Couch - he does have pin-ups of Sam is his room. I think he is in love.... :blink:

Guys, for one, and most likely there are several, really appreciate all the info posted here.

I can't get on much, busy with fambly, so it is all greatly appreciated.

Actually, I'm not allowed out much, so let's just leave it at that.

I hope to get time to view the vid, looks pretty damned interesting. Would not like to have track problems, especially with all that puffy stuff on its way.

Clovis, I think most here really respect Donger, bloody good team. One must have huge respect for the French. Crazy pack of bastards. Always sailing single handed in tiny wee boats. They certainly don't leave the gonads in the wifes handbag, that is for sure.

Your rugby is pretty good too. World cup coming up pretty quickly too ... :)

.....Would not like to have track problems, especially with all that puffy stuff on its way. ......

....some have said the winds will be fresh,,not crazy. I have a feeling they're right.

........but what's SA without a bit of excitement?

. ...........'save the girls!'.....indeed.

:lol::P:lol:

They certainly don't leave the gonads in the wifes handbag, that is for sure.

......not to mention the huge Cojones those gals are showing! :P

....well,,this is like watching paint flake. Thankfully there's a new sched up........

......00:40....Alvi's dropped to 6th with 12dtl,,a 7 nm drop!......SCA's gained a bit ..at 23dtl,,and has some potential leverage,one way or another.

....the fleet's more or less in pecking order of experience now...it's interesting how strong th'status quo is :mellow:

...anyone following the race?....they tacked today! :o

I'm very impressed with the girls - they are not far behind.

I ask my wife to walk a few steps behind me, but she bloody well won't .... :(

yes, sails are an issue. Everyone is keeping it quiet, but there are definitely problems with some of the sails. Not all, and not equally spread throughout the teams. that's part of what is baffling them a bit.

I wonder if at any point the sponsors would take issue with the condition of the sails if their logos became unreadable?
Given the condition I had sort of presumed that a repaint was in due in Abu Dhabi.

Do the rules allow it? You know what sticklers they are. Might give one team an advantage by using aerodynamic nano particles in the paint.

The boats were calibrated before painting.

Paint (how much/how little) is up to the teams as I understand from Clean's interview with the wonderful Nick Bice.

I presume the sails are the same, though presumably Norths are pretty specific in their paint specification.

Video is up. Money quote at the end: "Or we don't take a reef until Abu Dabi. It's another solution. What do you think, which one is best?"

is that mouse lines i see exiting the mast at 4 seconds in the video perhaps someone can zoom in, im only on my a i pad. Perhaps the other teams may be interested in that little piece of video

...03:40....''are we missing something?''....SCA has continued on the starboard tack while the rest of the fleet has been tacking on shifts(?) towards the NE. I'm supposing that the forecast TP is showing a moderation in strength,,,opening the game towards more pressure seeking,rather than a defensive strategy.

...but wait!...the gals have moved up nicely,now and have ~17dtl, just 2 miles off Vesta's dtl!!.Since windstrengths -appear- to have been reasonably similar between SCA and the pack,it's hard to speculate cause,,but it's clear that for now at least,,SCA's constantly playing the side of the fleet has had some payback!

....The question(s)....will they continue advancing?,,,or will their 33nm leverage soon turn against them? :o ....either way,I certainly credit them for thinking outside the ever-so-tightening box that contains the rest of the fleet! ...cojones indeed! :)

....Mapfre and AbuD are virtually tied,,3nm to Brunel,,,5 to Dongfeng,,,8nm to the resurrected Alviboys,,,15nm to Vestas ,who's track currently looks a bit like an old man's :unsure: ,,,and SCA 33nm west just a couple of miles farther dtl!

...Much of Vesta's losses seems to be quite late in the sched :mellow:

I switched my dashboard to the better data source. I also added a bit. More content after Thanksgiving, and I'll run leg 1 through it too.

https://public.tableausoftware.com/profile/chris.hawk#!/vizhome/VolvoOceanRace-2014Leg2/CurrentStatus

You guys are insatiable. 1000 views on this lame dashboard in 1/2 a day.

CLEAN, this data source is fine. No complaints. Thanks VOR for taking me down this rabbit hole.

...03:40....''are we missing something?''....SCA has continued on the starboard tack while the rest of the fleet has been tacking on shifts(?) towards the NE. I'm supposing that the forecast TP is showing a moderation in strength,,,opening the game towards more pressure seeking,rather than a defensive strategy.

The NE has the wind cycling off the nose sooner as they reach the Southern end of the weather system and into more pressure. Not only has SCA held the tack, it looks like they're Westing more? Will SCA throw in another tack or are they playing it safe with a split and heading west?

post-81201-0-96647100-1417066289_thumb.jpg

post-81201-0-74869900-1417066323_thumb.jpg

The NE has the wind cycling off the nose sooner as they reach the Southern end of the weather system and into more pressure. Not only has SCA held the tack, it looks like they're Westing more? Will SCA throw in another tack or are they playing it safe with a split and heading west?

.....the area N of SCAh looks particularly disorganized....hopefully there's a chance to surprise dem boys consolidate,,but it really looks like there's more power and organization to the east......I hope I'm wrong.........I've certainly been wrong before! :rolleyes:

...in ~5hrs....

033.png

as the TD advances it seems to break-down in a Rimasseun fashion....just before it gets to the fleet.

...........hopefully that's the case.

. .....in 24hrs

054.png

No doubt you're right. The boats to the East want the wind on the beam as soon as possible and when it fills in, double current boat speeds. Can't possibly see SCA staying west but their current heading is curious.

Rimasseun? I haven't read that thread in along time. Has he sailed, ahem, drifted very far?

No doubt you're right. The boats to the East want the wind on the beam as soon as possible and when it fills in, double current boat speeds. Can't possibly see SCA staying west but their current heading is curious.

.....looking at passage weather,,,there's a hope in hell if they tack not too long after the sched.

Rimasseun? I haven't read that thread in along time. Has he sailed, ahem, drifted very far?

....heck knows,,but ain't it interesting how lore of the great great has entered common language!? :rolleyes:

I like the data visualizations! Hoping for some luck for SCA! They already had separation. No reason to think that they should have turned with the rest of the fleet, since they weren't with the rest of the fleet!

By this time tomorrow the fleet should be NE of the Mauritius and in the SW end of the cyclone as it converges on them. This looks to be a nasty stretch. By Saturday they should be well North of Madagascar and the wind shifted to the port quarter. But I don't see a let up until Saturday.

A glimpse of tomorrow below.

post-81201-0-50355200-1417070732_thumb.jpg

By this time tomorrow the fleet should be NE of the Mauritius and in the SW end of the cyclone as it converges on them. This looks to be a nasty stretch. By Saturday they should be well North of Madagascar and the wind shifted to the port quarter. But I don't see a let up until SUNDAY.

A glimpse of tomorrow below.

post-81201-0-50355200-1417070732_thumb.j

........fixerated?

....6:40.... good while it lasted?......it's dawn on the IO and SCA's now converging with the fleet's contrail. I don't suppose there was much else to do....snakes and ladders indeed :mellow:

4nm separate the front -5- boats,,with Vestas another 3nm back....SCA's at 22dtl ,11nm offset to the W

....6:40.... good while it lasted?......it's dawn on the IO and SCA's now converging with the fleet's contrail. I don't suppose there was much else to do. :mellow:

4nm separate the front -5- boats,,with Vestas another 3nm back....SCA's 22nm at 22dtl ,11nm offset to the W

Indeed. It will be tight Easting the islands with the system blowing them West and a 7 meter sea state on the nose. Isn't that what Bekking said, 7 meter seas?

....6:40.... good while it lasted?......it's dawn on the IO and SCA's now converging with the fleet's contrail. I don't suppose there was much else to do. :mellow:

4nm separate the front -5- boats,,with Vestas another 3nm back....SCA's 22nm at 22dtl ,11nm offset to the W

Indeed. It will be tight Easting the islands with the system blowing them West and a 7 meter sea state on the nose. Isn't that what Bekking said, 7 meter seas?

....it sounds much like they were anticipating at the start

......''All eyes across the different channels of media are focussed on the TC, which ironically has not changed to become any more of a risk to the fleet since we first started looking at it 7 days ago, now everyone seems to be working themselves up into a lather about it...not exactly new information...''

...yup ..the SA way! :)

. ....'rescue the girls!' :o:lol::lol:<_<

......''All eyes across the different channels of media are focussed on the TC, which ironically has not changed to become any more of a risk to the fleet since we first started looking at it 7 days ago, now everyone seems to be working themselves up into a lather about it...not exactly new information...''

...yup ..the SA way! :)

. ....'rescue the girls!' :o:lol::lol:<_<

Well, I concede that it has changed, but not dramatically, remarkably consistent modelling on position and windspeeds...

Well, I concede that it has changed, but not dramatically, remarkably consistent modelling on position and windspeeds...

....consistent all week?

....consistent all week?

From 20/11

10620167_10203945940062277_1925386662364

Thanks Campbell and C Hawk. Great effort.

@C Hawk: How do you calculate the efficiency in the second table or what's that number supposed to tell us?

That will be an interesting gybe in 30-35 knots of wind and 7m seas... hope the OBR's catch that on video and make it available.

Thank you all for the great data-analysis and forecasts!

This is windguru, based on GFS. I guess waves will be bigger offshore and nearer the centre of the depression, but where are 7m+ wave forecasts coming from?

post-35226-0-40924400-1417083994_thumb.jpg

Looks like a wee breeze coming up.

Mind you, as the Captain said to Roger (the cabin boy)

"Have you ever been in a storm at sea Jimmy?"

"No" Jimmy responds, "but I've been blown ashore".

Lucky bastard.

Apropos not breaking stuff, video of SCA fixing a hole in the J1. (flogging clew of the J3 vs J1, J1 looses.) Features not only the sewing machine but also a replacement steering wheel on the fwd bulkhead. So SCA are definitely carrying more replacements than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHFR2JXdasU

The question is did SCA put the replacement wheel on board before cape town?

Also is it just me or does that sail look like it has had the crap flogged out of it already?

This is the third or fourth reference I've seen to "That sail looking trashed". It's not. It's just the paint flaking off. This happens with painted sails. Looks like shit but the sail material is still good. Well aside from the hole of course. That part's not so good.

I would think the flaky paint would cause the surface to be very rough and really inhibit nice smooth laminar flow needed for fast sailing.

yes, sails are an issue. Everyone is keeping it quiet, but there are definitely problems with some of the sails. Not all, and not equally spread throughout the teams. that's part of what is baffling them a bit.

Well, at least they aren't 3DLs - they probably wouldn't have lasted through the in-port race intact. :ph34r:

Thanks Campbell and C Hawk. Great effort.

@C Hawk: How do you calculate the efficiency in the second table or what's that number supposed to tell us?

Efficiency is change in distance to the finish divided by distance sailed. In other words progress toward the finish efficiency.

Wind Efficiency is boat speed divided by true wind speed. This one I'm not confident in as I really don't believe these boat can go 1.5 times the speed of the wind. There must be data issues. I'll look into it.

Still not even a tropical depression, just an invest (investigation area). Observed surface winds up to 30 knots.

post-9168-0-77208000-1417090978_thumb.jpg

latest72hrs.gif

The Volvo race position files are available from Volvo. These can be imported directly into Exp.

The file for the current sched is available for some random amount of time only, until some arbitrary time near or about the next sched. This severely limits the availability assuming you wish to sleep.

WTIO20 FMEE 271211
SECURITE
WARNING FOR METAREA VIII (S)
ISSUED BY METEO-FRANCE/TROPICAL CYCLONE CENTER/LA REUNION 27/11/2014
AT
1200 UTC.
WARNING NUMBER: 007/2 (SOUTH-WEST INDIAN OCEAN)

10 MINUTES AVERAGE WIND SPEED IN KNOTS (KT)
(WIND GUSTS AT SEA MAY BE ABOUT 40% STRONGER THAN THE AVERAGED WIND)
MINIMUM SEA LEVEL PRESSURE IN HECTOPASCAL (HPA)
(INDICATIVE FIGURE).

WARNING
BEGINNING OF VALIDITY: THURSDAY 27/11/2014 AT 1200 UTC.

PHENOMENON: TROPICAL DISTURBANCE 2 999 HPA
POSITION: WITHIN 30 NM RADIUS OF POINT 14.0 S / 64.3 E
(FOURTEEN DECIMAL ZERO DEGREES SOUTH AND
SIXTY FOUR DECIMAL THREE DEGREES EAST) AT 1200 UTC
MOVEMENT: WEST-SOUTH-WEST 8 KT

THREAT AREAS:
SQUALLY WEATHER EXISTS UP TO 200-250 NM FROM THE CENTRE WITHIN THE
WESTERN SEMI-CIRCLE.
CLOCKWISE CIRCULATION 25 KT AND ROUGH SEAS, REACHING NEAR GALE FORCE
WINDS 30 KT AND ROUGH TO VERY ROUGH SEAS WITHIN THE SOUTHEASTERN
QUADRANT.
STRONG GUSTS UNDER SQUALLS.

FORECAST POSITION AND INTENSITY:
12H, VALID 2014/11/28 AT 00 UTC:
15.2 S / 62.5 E, MAX WIND = 25 KT, TROPICAL DISTURBANCE
24H, VALID 2014/11/28 AT 12 UTC:
16.0 S / 60.9 E, MAX WIND = 30 KT, TROPICAL DEPRESSION

OTHER INFORMATIONS:
THE INTENSITY OF THE SYSTEM DOES NOT JUSTIFY ISSUE REGULAR BULLETINS.
=

I switched my dashboard to the better data source. I also added a bit. More content after Thanksgiving, and I'll run leg 1 through it too.

https://public.tableausoftware.com/profile/chris.hawk#!/vizhome/VolvoOceanRace-2014Leg2/CurrentStatus

You guys are insatiable. 1000 views on this lame dashboard in 1/2 a day.

CLEAN, this data source is fine. No complaints. Thanks VOR for taking me down this rabbit hole.

Thanks for all of this. It is fantastic analysis

15702946990_2ff68a3f5d_b.jpg

Genuine tough guy

Great photo. Getting angry with that winch!

For a little context, consider:

Rob sailed A-Cats at 170 lbs.

Rob sailed ABN AMRO at 220 lbs.

This guy can pack on or cut off more weight than a bodybuilder. A fucking animal, and a good friend.

nice. happy thanksgiving, all!

And for those who've been so generous with your congratulations about my somewhat public family situation, meet 'blueberry.' ETA about a month after the Volvo ends...

photo.JPG

Your kid is going to get teased a lot if you name it "Blueberry". But at least he/she will grow up being able to throw and take a punch.

(Congratulations, by the way)

it's a girl, and i probably should just name her "karma" for obvious reasons. As if I have any say in the name! (and thanks brother).

Another reason to be thankful today. Awesome news - glad for both of you guys.

And for those who've been so generous with your congratulations about my somewhat public family situation, meet 'blueberry.' ETA about a month after the Volvo ends...

She has your hair!

Congratulations Clean. Raising kids is the most difficult and rewarding thing I've ever done..... And I've got at least another decade till they are officially off my hands!

Replaying the animation on the tracker over the last 24 hours you can really see Dongfeng's troubles. Interesting Alvimedica didn't tack North with the fleet right away. Vestas looks to be in the middle of a maneuver.

Genuine tough guy

....judging by this fellow's not-so relaxed demeanor,,,,I've decided to extend the fatigue-O-meter to a scale of 15.

.......this guy's at ~13. :mellow:

Clean, what a cute little zygote. After two boys, a girl was a revelation. I wish your family all the best.

it's a girl, and i probably should just name her "karma" for obvious reasons. As if I have any say in the name! (and thanks brother).

A Cleanette? Fabulous.

Congrats and welcome to the club. As a Father of 2 daughters it is truly a blessing, the 2 best things to ever happen to me. And enjoy the birth. Life changing moment.

WetHog :ph34r:

Still not even a tropical depression, just an invest (investigation area). Observed surface winds up to 30 knots.

attachicon.gifinvest-1.jpg

latest72hrs.gif

...lovely!....I wish Campbell's projections were on this animation.

...regardless of the actual windstrengths,,this race is (finally) going to get a shaking.

Any updates on the DF track fix?

Not gonna be pretty if it doesn't hold...

...they'll manage. At worst they can reef the main ,then re-strap the track.

She has your hair!

...it's great the gals on SCA are breaking ground already. Perhaps your daughter will be able to log in on SA in a dozen years and find an environment that encourages women in sailing! :)

From the Dongfeng Facebook:

UPDATE FROM THE BOAT:

"Kevin has spent several hours in the mast this afternoon.It should be ok now. He will climb tomorrow to remove the rachets.
I have a small itv of Charles in French to cover the french news. Now I have to turn myself into a chef. And this evening is a pasta evening." - Yann Riou

...17:45.......anyone following th'race?.....I'm waking to something different--the fleet's clearly in two packs now.

The lead pack of 4 boats tightly packed within 5 nm.....Vesta's and the other apprentices in another 5nm group some 20 miles back!

...and what th'heck's going on with Vesta's!? ...they are really having trouble keeping to their experience level in the status quo!

Fatigue-O-meter....SCA are holding well.....at worst a 5 of 15

On board Mapfre. Some navigator talk and dark clouds ahead.

....:45...a naked guy talking of 'sex' on the boat...I had no idea! :mellow:

..1:40....and mention 'how fun it was'.....n.t.t.a.w.w.t.

...3:48...another likely suspect climbing out of the 'man-cave' :blink:

. ...maybe it's best to keep coverage shorter afterall,and abovedecks with this team :unsure:

...5:00...a unique approach to keeping sailing clothes dry!

.......overall,,,some nice all-round footage,,thanks Mapfre,VO......anyone have a nutshell translation?

...'whatever' Mapfre's doing,,,they're looking much better on the fatigue-O-meter,,,moving back to a 6 of 15.

Mapfre is on the verge of redeeming itself, and a podium finish will do just that. Awesome to see an actual side by side deadlock in a VOR between ADOR and Mapfre. While I would love ADOR to arrive into its home port first, I would also love the last place team to come in first.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but what's the deal with the pfd's and tethers? It seems from the videos that most of the teams are very lax when it comes to wearing them. Even outside of the cockpit. My experience offshore has been that we're extremely strict about clipping in. Is this one of those things that's best not discussed? Like everybody knows it's shit but nobody says anything about it? Jeez, looking at the last vid from Mapfre there's a bunch of guys bagging a sail on a very wet foredeck. How hard is it to just clip in for a sec? How hard is it to strap on a pfd? Where's the watch captain in all this? He's the one that's going to have to write to the family back home saying how much we all loved the guy and how much we'll miss him.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but what's the deal with the pfd's and tethers? It seems from the videos that most of the teams are very lax when it comes to wearing them. Even outside of the cockpit. My experience offshore has been that we're extremely strict about clipping in. Is this one of those things that's best not discussed? Like everybody knows it's shit but nobody says anything about it? Jeez, looking at the last vid from Mapfre there's a bunch of guys bagging a sail on a very wet foredeck. How hard is it to just clip in for a sec? How hard is it to strap on a pfd? Where's the watch captain in all this? He's the one that's going to have to write to the family back home saying how much we all loved the guy and how much we'll miss him.

I don't remember the boat but one of them said they didn't usually clip in on anything under 20 knots. Something like that.

Well guys I'm off to put in some miles before the feast and, as always, hope not to become a meal myself. Happy Thanksgiving. Keep me posted.

I don't remember the boat but one of them said they didn't usually clip in on anything under 20 knots. Something like that.

....footage is in daylight,,,moderate conditions....I imagine they approach safety accordingly.

Well guys I'm off to put in some miles before the feast and, as always, hope not to become a meal myself. Happy Thanksgiving. Keep me posted.

.....good onya.......I've found some freeze dried turkey and cranberry powder...........thought I'd join the festivities!! :mellow:

....o.m.g.....these guys are talking about a game of turkey jerky....sounds like they're on 'bout Rimas too! ...''pictures,,pictures?--say no more!'' :rolleyes:

....a 5 on the fatigue-O-meter

......it's definitely sounding like time for some breeze...good luck all! ;)

Genuine tough guy

....judging by this fellow's not-so relaxed demeanor,,,,I've decided to extend the fatigue-O-meter to a scale of 15.

Kind of perfectly explains the 8-11 ratio between the boys and girls in one shot, doesn't it. Seems just about right.

Double grip winch handle. The old bronze Lewmars made a formidable weapon. Who's got that sig that says the doc. found ramwel embossed in somebody's forehead.........or was it colon ;)

Sorry couch, got the edit wrong :-)

Is that a custom winch handle? It looks really long.

VESTAS and ALVI both struggled in the last light patch and were both late on the last two tacks, sailing far into headers before tacking, and have paid the price, although ALVI is getting lifted nicely on the current tack, so are likely to stay in front of VESTAS.

Do they still have one more soft patch before the storm? If so, SCA will drop even further behind.

PLEASE VOR, in this next storm ask the OBRs to give us a minute of uninterupted video from above and behind the helm, looking steadily forward. We know they can hold the camera still for several minutes, as we've had various crew members giving long spiels into the camera, now we just want an uninterupted view of what the helms(wo)man is seeing and doing.

I finally realized a couple hours ago that they don't have to go outside Mauritius. I knew there was a virtual buoy instead of Mauritius, but I assumed it was outside Mauritius. Didn't realize it was way North. So yeah... they'll be able to fly up the West edge of the cyclone. This explains a lot, in terms of their strategy the last few days.

Doing VORG is confusing it a bit... on this leg, VORG requires you to go around Mauritius, but then it doesn't have the exclusion zones off Africa and Iran. Very different situations, due to the location of the cyclone.

Genuine tough guy

Kind of perfectly explains the 8-11 ratio between the boys and girls in one shot, doesn't it. Seems just about right.

........good point!

I finally realized a couple hours ago that they don't have to go outside Mauritius. I knew there was a virtual buoy instead of Mauritius, but I assumed it was outside Mauritius. Didn't realize it was way North. So yeah... they'll be able to fly up the West edge of the cyclone. This explains a lot, in terms of their strategy the last few days.

Doing VORG is confusing it a bit... on this leg, VORG requires you to go around Mauritius, but then it doesn't have the exclusion zones off Africa and Iran. Very different situations, due to the location of the cyclone.

...I had assumed the VORG was based on the VO race and current weather...now I -really- wonder what the point is!?

There goes a potential Podium Place for Team Vestas Wind out of the window, meh :(

. ..funny guy! :D:lol:

..15:40 The lead pack of 4 boats tightly packed within 5 nm.....Vesta's and the other apprentices in another 5nm group some 20 miles back!

...and what th'heck's going on with Vesta's!? ...they are really having trouble keeping to their experience level in the status quo!

VESTAS and ALVI both struggled in the last light patch and were both late on the last two tacks, sailing far into headers before tacking, and have paid the price, although ALVI is getting lifted nicely on the current tack, so are likely to stay in front of VESTAS.

Do they still have one more soft patch before the storm? If so, SCA will drop even further behind.

PLEASE VOR, in this next storm ask the OBRs to give us a minute of uninterupted video from above and behind the helm, looking steadily forward. We know they can hold the camera still for several minutes, as we've had various crew members giving long spiels into the camera, now we just want an uninterupted view of what the helms(wo)man is seeing and doing.

....nice fill-in 'drag-on',,,and certainly a +1 on upcoming footage! ;)
...the 18:40 sched is showing a 3pack in the lead,,with th'Dong having a bit of slippage,5+dtl.
..your prediction for Alvi's not holding,,with th'Vespa ahead a mile,,, at 30/31dtl.
. ....SCA has dropped 12 miles behind them, 40 mi further W, 43dtl.
....21:40 shows Mapfre and Abbu,1.4dtl gaining some separation on Brunel 2.5dtl,,,and the dingDONGs at 5.3.
...Vestas and the medheads are 33's,,,,with SCAh now at 49dtl,,similar 'leverage' :huh:
........WINDS ,according to V-eye,,,are currently in the 9's ..dropping from ~13at the 18:40 sched.
...IF Virtual is correct,,,the fleet is going to encounter lighter winds,,,and the TS is dissipating before it reaches the fleet.
....looking at passageweather,,,I'll bet we'll soon see the fleet work a bit further eastward....I think Alvi has positioned themselves nicely!......here's the current shot,the fleet is currently at ~24S,57,3E
033.png
...here's sat 6UTC,,
042.png

Crap! Vestas has dropped well off the pace, WTF!

...did you just wake up?.....when have they been 'on' the pace? :mellow:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/fromtheboats.html ,,highlights.....

Francisco VignaleOBR, MAPFRE

On deck there’s been chitchat about the tropical storm we are about to cross. It could get serious – or not. The best thing is to be ready in case the 40 knots kick in and help us sail faster than the rest of the fleet. Otherwise we’ll keep sailing at 10 or 12 knots.

Yann RiouOBR, Dongfeng

“Climb, sand down the carbon, clean up the track, and re-glue it” explains Kevin. When? As soon as the conditions allow it. That should be this morning,,,,,but not this morning, because for a few hours now there is a big fight going on. Fight between the teams – we can see five with our own eyes – and fight with the elements – squalls, gusts, rain, wind holes, clouds, big wind shifts, and all the sail changes that go with that. It hasn’t stopped. Not the time to climb the mast for some DIY and repairs in any case.

• Stefan CoppersOBR, Team Brunel...........Bouwe Bekking is chewing a gum between his teeth. He grabs it with his thumb and forefinger, and stretches it 30 inches from his mouth.Then he eats the piece of gum again, until it disappeared into his unshaven mouth."That's us and the rest of the fleet. One moment you're ahead and after a while we’re all together again."
  • "I will teach you something," says Johnny Poortman. "You see all those big rain clouds?" Thick black clouds are hanging on the horizon indeed. Streaks of rain hit the sea surface. NO wind. But rain clouds are creating air that rises. Do you get it yet? So that air in the clouds is sucked up from everywhere. That’s what creates all the weird weather; these wind holes and twists.

• Corinna HalloranOBR, Team SCA .......While the girls below deck fixed one of the more important sails for the leg, the girls above deck were sailing incredibly well and fast. (Not saying they normally don’t!) But the deck team’s performance was so on target that we were the fastest boat in the fleet for the next position report. Furthermore, we made gains fleet wide, miles that later in the day became essential for us. The important thing to note here is that we were sailing on the smaller, incorrect sail.

What this morning proved was how Team SCA works as a team. Both Stacey and Abby worked straight through their off watch time in order to better the team’s overall performance. Both women did it without batting an eye; in fact they both had smiles on their faces despite working straight for nearly 12 hours once they finished their second watch.

Sam said she was really impressed with the team’s performance as it really proved how dedicated the team is and how well we can sail the boat in any condition.

• Matt KnightonOBR, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing
      Go to team website

On the horizon at dusk, four sets of sails became clearer and clearer as the fleet compressed and our separation for the past three days came to a close. We’ve been very pleased that the wider route we accidentally dealt ourselves earlier has paid dividends as we now are fighting for the lead with Brunel, Dongfeng, and MAPFRE hot on our tail.

For Ian, there’s a relief to have other boats nearby to race against, “We’re quite pleased this time because we were a long way behind these guys. It’s quite nice to be in touch and see how we’re going.”

Last night as we gybed north towards a predicted Tropical Storm that might cross our path, the forecast was for decent trade wind conditions all day. However, as dawn is breaking the Indian Ocean is glass and we’re floating amongst the lead group looking for wind.

As if the unpredictability of this leg wasn’t enough already, now this un-forcasted high-pressure ridge is rolling the dice again. Anyone could get a puff from a squall right now and come out miles ahead, arrive at the Tropical Storm first, and then see decisive gains.

There’s no question that storm is in the back of everyone’s mind. When asked if he knows how Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing will prepare for those conditions, Ian is weighing the options.

“The Tropical Storm is coming towards us and that can become a question of how close to the center do we dare go: racing benefits versus potential risk scenario.”

With a laugh he adds, “I’m sure when push comes to shove we’re all going to send it in there and egg each other on.”

Brian CarlinOBR, Team Vestas Wind............I’m back to listen to numbers again and the Vestas Stock Exchange floor just opened for business in the last couple of hours. It's amazing how sailors go nuts when they see other boats. The past week, it was so nice to only get the scheds every 6 hours. Now I’m living through a live sched understanding some of it but amused by most of it. Seriously though, we have the fleet all within miles and throwing distance again, we are back in the pack and most of all we are fast right now..

The Volvo race position files are available from Volvo. These can be imported directly into Exp.

The file for the current sched is available for some random amount of time only, until some arbitrary time near or about the next sched. This severely limits the availability assuming you wish to sleep.

Nick have you a generic set of VO65 polars for Expedition to share?

...like these?... go to post 1593 for enlargement and details ;)

sml_gallery_71691_1019_52523.png

Expedition needs them in a particular format, and those are a bit empirical as they've been crowdsourced. No doubt Campbell Field has a set as he's running routeing...

Expedition needs them in a particular format, and those are a bit empirical as they've been crowdsourced. No doubt Campbell Field has a set as he's running routeing...

...there's some details in the discussion after that post,,maybe what you're looking for?

......4/15 on the fatigue-O-meter....1 point lost for references to ...'he can get moody sometimes' :mellow: