edouard

Rolex Wild Oats XI

Thank god we have you then. Don't know what we'd do without you & your facts.

well you could watching the start on the 26th telling you mates that woxis mast is 5 mtrs longer and she uses old sails from a previous rig i spose, and Rambler will DNF

and a female social media phenomena woke one morning with the severed head of a horse so she deleted photos off of the net?

FFS GS,,,things get back on topic,,,WOXI's doing a night run,,,and all we get is your self important prattle?? :lol::lol:

Is there no thread on this fucking site which is NOT polluted?

Good point. Now is their any truth in the rumor that WO11 new keel is longer to allow for the rise in the sea level? What about the one that Donald Trump will be sailing on C in the Hobart? Or that all the C crew have cancelled carry permits...

Is there no thread on this fucking site which is NOT polluted?

Good point. Now is their any truth in the rumor that WO11 new keel is longer to allow for the rise in the sea level? What about the one that Donald Trump will be sailing on C in the Hobart? Or that all the C crew have cancelled carry permits...

I getting pity with poor Donald Trump. He is the laughing stock of SA. On the other hand: it will be World war III when he comes to power. What about a good name for his ship WOIII?

How does it look like? Imagine:

post-17796-0-33585600-1449750469_thumb.jpg

WOIII

It's not a sailboat, but he doesn't care, he's going to win

Did I went too far?

Weather.

This.

Wild Oats will never beat Commanche if the conditions are as they were at the start of last year's Hobart. Oats did the smart play. They re-configured the boat to extend her sweet spot in her conditions. She will attempt to put miles on where she can to pad her lead or close a gap. I am sure they have run weather models that dictated the changes. Horses for courses.

(That said, Rambler88 will sail around this rubber band duo and take line honours and the Tattersall's Cup. Commanche will then chop 12 feet off her draggy stern and Wild Oats will run charters out of San Diego.)

colegue of mine was at North Minden plant earlier in the year first week of October, watching the new sails for WO being built,

they wont be rocking old gear .

Their new zero looks like RAW but all of the upwind sails look like they have 30+ days on em

colegue of mine was at North Minden plant earlier in the year first week of October, watching the new sails for WO being built,

Their new zero looks like RAW but all of the upwind sails look like they have 30+ days on em

Can't wait to see the new sails on woxi. Always good for magnificent Photo's.

post-17796-0-31377300-1449773315_thumb.jpg

Looks like they need some sort of outrigger for the big zeros. The clew looks quite hooked when they're further off the wind

Looks like they need some sort of outrigger for the big zeros. The clew looks quite hooked when they're further off the wind

Is that allowed in the S2H? (please don't laugh)

maybe they were playing around with a couple of older sails for whatever reason?? but all the pic's I've seen are using brand new gear - pretty sure the cheque was blank again this year.

I don't think they ever use last years sails in a Hobart - too many things change each time.

North can probably write it straight on next years calendar - October: measure WOXI for a set of new sails

Looks like they need some sort of outrigger for the big zeros.

which they can't have, of course.

Even if their zero measures as a headsail? Surely it technically becomes a poled out headsail

yes even if it does, outriggers breach the RRS

Unless the pole is attached to the mast, as it is then counted as a whisker pole which is allowed. Comanche uses one for their sails which barely overlap the rig.

...they're certainly using their time as best they can,,but any winds over 15 yet?

not yet - variable around 10 at the moment but a 20knot westerly due thisarvo then turning southerly 20-30 tonight and into tomorrow

Even if their zero measures as a headsail? Surely it technically becomes a poled out headsail

good luck getting a whisker pole from the mast to the aft corner of the boat where the zero clew is and loading it up. I'm not standing anywhere near it.

15 - 20 knots in South Sydney this Friday afternoon. Any WOXI action on the water?

Do you mind when we do? :D

yes even if it does, outriggers breach the RRS

Unless the pole is attached to the mast, as it is then counted as a whisker pole which is allowed. Comanche uses one for their sails which barely overlap the rig.
Ahhh ok, yeah got confused by the Comanche pole.

Do you mind when we do? :D

not really, I aim to please :)

southerly buster through at about 7:45 pm this evening after a 36 degree day

WOxi stays offshore

Could be an IMOCA - style J2 stay, fixed aft of the stem and at fractional mast height, Then having a removable J1 stay on a lock.

HW

the tack is a long way behind the stem still

southerly buster through at about 7:45 pm this evening after a 36 degree day

WOxi stays offshore

According to Windyty the wind will become calm at 22:00.

Says nothing about waves.

In fairness it just looks like some masking plastic to me. Hopefully soon we'll see a video of some sanding, oh we already have. Next vid might be something really special like the guys sweeping the floor or closing the roller door or even the lunch room.

You know what we never get to see, the admin side. What about some nice panning shots of guys sitting at laptops staring at Excel. I think I would really be able to relate to that.

You know what we never get to see, the admin side. What about some nice panning shots of guys sitting at laptops staring at Excel. I think I would really be able to relate to that.

That's funny shit, first time I have laughed this week, I hate Christmas

good luck getting a whisker pole from the mast to the aft corner of the boat where the zero clew is and loading it up. I'm not standing anywhere near it.

Put in a mizzen mast

Put in a mizzen mast

pole must be on foremost mast.

Doesn't the mizzen staysail sheet to the mizzen boom? Don't know how you'd go trying to sheet something like an Oats 'zero to a mizzen boom though... that said, would there be any advantage on freer angles of sheeting to the end of the main boom (forgetting the loads on the gooseneck)?

Doesn't the mizzen staysail sheet to the mizzen boom? Don't know how you'd go trying to sheet something like an Oats 'zero to a mizzen boom though... that said, would there be any advantage on freer angles of sheeting to the end of the main boom (forgetting the loads on the gooseneck)?

I guess -- 50.3 c\) says you can use a (mizzen) boom to sheet anything you want.

I'm sure you could engineer a stub mast, boom terminated at deck level and a stupidly small mizzen sail for the sole purpose of sheeting your zero outboard.

It'd take ISAF a round of reviews to ban forthwith

Or they could just change the RRS to suit themsleves like they did years ago re shifting balast and powered winches.

I guess -- 50.3 c\) says you can use a (mizzen) boom to sheet anything you want.

I'm sure you could engineer a stub mast, boom terminated at deck level and a stupidly small mizzen sail for the sole purpose of sheeting your zero outboard.

Or they can go the traditional route and have a sternsprit, you bumpkin........As Phil S says, they can do whatever they want and it will be OK with the powers that be.....

well they can't unless they do it earlier, for example when the NOR & SIs are published

I think Phil maybe referring to when they let the first V60 in, whose moveable ballast breachede 'standard' rules at the time ???

Or they can go the traditional route and have a sternsprit, you bumpkin........As Phil S says, they can do whatever they want and it will be OK with the powers that be.....

The autism is strong in this one, luke.

Or they could just change the RRS to suit themsleves like they did years ago re shifting balast and powered winches.

unfortunately true.

Based on the above photo, the upwind fore triangle is essentially the same as last year? maybe less then one meter increase in J if any. So minimal additional upwind sail area. Given her additional RM due to increased bulb weight probably better upwind speed for no SA increase.

I saw/heard somewhere that Mark Richards was claiming a half a knt faster upwind speed in the new configuration. Nothing about downwind though.

Yesterday Killo said that they (the 18 footer camera boat) would be covering the Big Boat Challenge live...

From Scuttlebutt (hopefully I dont get banned for posting this lol)

When the design was finalised there were six significant changes planned: The section of the hull forward of the mast would become more streamlined and provide additional buoyancy. This feature would greatly reduce the tendency to nose-dive, so the yacht could then be driven downwind faster and more safely in strong winds. It would also present the opportunity to increase the sail area (horsepower) and make the sail-plan more efficient. Upwind speed in light winds (up to eight knots) would improve as a considerably larger headsail (a J1) could be set. The new sail measures in at 280sq metres 20sq metres larger than a doubles tennis court, and 23% larger than the existing J1! The bowsprit was redesigned to be significantly longer than its predecessor. This meant the spinnakers being carried downwind would be more efficient, and therefore provide more drag-reducing lift. The longer bowsprit would also allow for the largest spinnaker to be increased in area by 120 square metres to 965 square metres. Its total area is now greater than the wing area of an Airbus A380 passenger aircraft! The DSS (Dynamic Stability System) hydrofoil wing has been modified to provide more lift forward and contribute to a reduction in hull drag. This will also result in an increase in speed when sailing downwind. New, deeper, daggerboards have also been fitted. Through the removal of some old non-structural internal components from the hull, and the use of the most modern materials, the new-look Wild Oats XI hull is more than 500 kilograms lighter. An additional 300 kilograms has been saved through the use of new, ultra-light cloth for the manufacture of the new sails. This fabric is the same as that being used in the construction of some components for the Boeing Dreamliner aircraft.

MS

Based on the above photo, the upwind fore triangle is essentially the same as last year? maybe less then one meter increase in J if any. So minimal additional upwind sail area......

(Mast aft 2m = Increase J) + (Mast 5m? higher less any +rake = Increase I) = Quite a large Foretriangle increase.

Have we confirmed a new mast? Unlikely with Richards saying it all cost 2m AUD & main looks the same to me. The last mast was over a mill on its own back in 2011-12

Scanas I think the $2m was a undercooked figure when putting their program cost up for comparison to the Comanche big spend...help WOXI cement their underdog tag.

Based on the above photo, the upwind fore triangle is essentially the same as last year? maybe less then one meter increase in J if any. So minimal additional upwind sail area......

(Mast aft 2m = Increase J) + (Mast 5m? higher less any +rake = Increase I) = Quite a large Foretriangle increase.

Forestay point moved backwards to compensate. New J1 will probably be masthead and free flying set on the stem, that's where the true j length is coming from, I guess in anything over 8kts it will be back to the normal j2 on forestay

I saw/heard somewhere that Mark Richards was claiming a half a knt faster upwind speed in the new configuration. Nothing about downwind though.

Yesterday Killo said that they (the 18 footer camera boat) would be covering the Big Boat Challenge live...

but it won't be on the cat, they'll be on Ragamuffin

Based on the above photo, the upwind fore triangle is essentially the same as last year? maybe less then one meter increase in J if any. So minimal additional upwind sail area. Given her additional RM due to increased bulb weight probably better upwind speed for no SA increase.

based on the above, all we are seeing is the heavy weather jib IMO

quote from the current AUS Sailing mag, article by Dario Valenza

"Making the bow longer and the stern shorter effectively moves the rig back in the boat. This continues the trend of making the J longer (a trend started by continually extending the bowsprit over the first decade of development). All other things being equal, the longer J allows bigger foresails to be carried, adding sail area. Since the bow is longer, the bigger foresails do not come at the price of lee helm. "

Read more at http://www.mysailing.com.au/boats/is-it-still-wild-oats-xi#D3PQkMk8STTrsiJk.99

Have we confirmed a new mast? Unlikely with Richards saying it all cost 2m AUD & main looks the same to me. The last mast was over a mill on its own back in 2011-12

no new mast

quote from the current AUS Sailing mag, article by Dario Valenza

" Since the bow is longer, the bigger foresails do not come at the price of lee helm. "

What a load of shit. If it wasn't for the bow daggerboard lee helm would go through the roof. The hull just doesn't make that big a contribution to lateral resistance.

no new mast

Cool thanks

no new mast

Gybe the Dario Valenza article you posted quotes Richo as saying:

"Mark Richards: Our new mast has made a big difference. It is constructed with TPT [Thin Ply Technology - A carbon fibre laminating system, related to North 3Di. It yields better mechanical properties by using finer layering that provides more bond area between fibres and the resin matrix]. The detailing of the rig is carefully studied to reduce windage in all the junctions (stay attachments, spreaders, and the like). Since the mast is stiffer and lighter, it requires less support, so our backstay system is also less draggy."

Does that mean the new rig was abandoned OR delivery is simply running behind schedule so they are currently running around with the old rig pending the new one going in before Boxing Day?

no new mast

Gybe the Dario Valenza article you posted quotes Richo as saying:

"Mark Richards: Our new mast has made a big difference. It is constructed with TPT [Thin Ply Technology - A carbon fibre laminating system, related to North 3Di. It yields better mechanical properties by using finer layering that provides more bond area between fibres and the resin matrix]. The detailing of the rig is carefully studied to reduce windage in all the junctions (stay attachments, spreaders, and the like). Since the mast is stiffer and lighter, it requires less support, so our backstay system is also less draggy."

Does that mean the new rig was abandoned OR delivery is simply running behind schedule so they are currently running around with the old rig pending the new one going in before Boxing Day?

So are they then going to accept delivery of another full suit of sails for the new rig?

Doesn't make any sense. Either they're sailing with new sails and a new rig now, or they are waiting for both.

jack spadger

that was referring to pre 2015 mods

the article refers to the decade of evolution, i agree its not clear

re new sails, MR has repeatedly been quoted as saying 3 'new' sails, in the context of the new modifications.

At the least hes referring to 3 that wouldnt fit on the old config

the new large code sails are seen in pictures from the last few days, below

http://www.sail-world.com/Wild-Oats-XI-First-Sail--Images-and-VIDEO-by-Bow-Caddy-Media/140642

5mtr is virtually impossible

that would be 4mtr more than comanche & leopard

....ohh,mannnn,, Chopstrand was right! :o ......

.........'' Richards said that the new, more buoyant forward sections of the hull, combined with the larger and more powerful sails the champion yacht can now carry, had contributed to a noticeable increase in speed of 25 to 30% on almost every point of sailing.''

...some deets on the sails.....

• Upwind speed in light winds (up to eight knots) would improve as a considerably larger headsail (a J1) could be set. The new sail measures in at 280sq metres – 20sq metres larger than a doubles tennis court, and 23% larger than the existing J1!

• The bowsprit was redesigned to be significantly longer than its predecessor. This meant the spinnakers being carried downwind would be more efficient, and therefore provide more drag-reducing lift.

• The longer bowsprit would also allow for the largest spinnaker to be increased in area by 120 square metres to 965 square metres. Its total area is now greater than the wing area of an Airbus A380 passenger aircraft!

mumbles says that richo says .....

25%

so 9 hrs quicker to hobart

nearly as quick as langers cackle-maran

Someone close to the WOX program told me .5knt average VMG increase across the race track. True or not, who knows?

mumbles says that richo says .....

25%

so 9 hrs quicker to hobart

nearly as quick as langers cackle-mara

No, couchsurfer added a little extra to the quote...

The fractional A kite in that sail world article is definitely not new. Based on how far the tack is off the Sprit in order to fit the locks it's definitely from the old setup. Interesting then that they haven't updated all of their flying sails.

x2 live streams following the SOLAS big boat challenge starting in 30mins here: www.mysailing.com.au

Hit it.

Comanche will be have to be faster than last year would be my early call. Yet to hear the final margins but Wild Oats obliterated the others. Rambler 88 a comfortable win over Loyal and Rags. Rags needs to sort out various issues going forward otherwise they could find themselves 5th over the line come the Hobart.