Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edouard

Rolex Wild Oats XI

Rambler 88 got rid of theirs as well, right?

Yes, I think in both Rambler and WOXI cases the foil was an afterthought, however. And, neither hull was originally designed to operate with DSS.

I'd be surprised if we don't see them again on these boats, just look at the speeds the IMOCA 60s are now pulling. Recent article I read in Seahorse underlines the relationship between righting moment generated by these foils and rig strength and points out that the whole package has to be designed in an integrated way to really deliver. Should Comanche make a return I'd be expecting them to consider DSS style foils, and as they're not limited in appendage numbers the result would be pretty spectacular.. But, the whole rig and support structure would need to be rethought if they moved to a higher-RM configuration using DSS foils.

I'd really like to see someone take Wild Thing out of mothballs and reinvent it with DSS. Big exercise but the results would be pretty cool.

Yes, I think in both Rambler and WOXI cases the foil was an afterthought, however. And, neither hull was originally designed to operate with DSS.

Which of WOXI's hulls do you mean? :) The new front half could easily have been designed with it in mind. It seems they actually designed the new front in a manner to actually negate the DSS's advantage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but WOXI was using it to avoid pitching, RM was a byproduct.

Taking a DSS foil out because it "weighs too much" is ridiculous-there's a lot more to that story!

Taking a DSS foil out because it "weighs too much" is ridiculous-there's a lot more to that story!

Well then spill the beans dougy.

Well then spill the beans dougy.

Foils are sacred, even when they no longer serve a purpose.

I thought it was for dicing Sunfish?

:):D

Which of WOXI's hulls do you mean? :) The new front half could easily have been designed with it in mind. It seems they actually designed the new front in a manner to actually negate the DSS's advantage.

Correct. They're saying the foil is now redundant.

• Rambler is designed (a la Comanche) with big beam-generated form stability and to heel big angles, not how DSS works. Adding DSS would increase RM further and jeopardise the rig, which is unlikely to be strong enough to handle it.
  • WOXI was originally designed as a low-drag proposition developing stability from the canting keel in a CBTF setup, and as an all-rounder less than a high speed downwind surfer as the drag from the forward rudder always mitigated against that given that it was non-retractable. Since then multiple appendage changes have fundamentally altered WOXI's performance envelope. WOXI's limited stability would be well augmented by DSS reaching and downwind but the rig would need to be quite a bit stronger and WOXI has had a couple of rig failures as it is.

S

Rambler 88 got rid of theirs as well, right?

Don't speak to soon.

Que?

See Rambler thread

WOXI new ORCi Certificate actually has it weighing in slightly heavier than the December 2015 version. So what happened to the 300kg weight saving?

Thinking they probably put a new bulb on to try and trim it right with the new stern and the result was a heavier bulb so they lost the DSS to negate the additional weight.

Thinking they probably put a new bulb on to try and trim it right with the new stern and the result was a heavier bulb so they lost the DSS to negate the additional weight.

Nope, no re-inclining done. RM the same for the two certs, inclining date the same. Would have been if they'd changed the bulb at all

something that big even notice 300kg one way or the other?

a bit over 1% of overall displacement, maybe not, but these rating systems claim to be precise...

a bit over 1% of overall displacement, maybe not, but these rating systems claim to be precise...

i suppose the same applies to the super maxis as it does to the 30ft-40ft club racers - hard to find singular big weight savings, but you find a little in a lot of places and it can start to mean something.

just sounds odd for a 30t boat to be quibbling over a couple hundred kegs.

I asked why Ragamuffin didn't have an autopilot. They said it's too heavy. Very strict, not even a stereo....

I asked why Ragamuffin didn't have an autopilot. They said it's too heavy. Very strict, not even a stereo....

any boat without a stereo has no soul.

More like Syd was too tight to fork out for one.

Oh Please.... its because Syd wouldn't pay for luxuries...

Water in the core.

maybe that tow across the water wasnt such a great idea lol

Water in the core.

thought I'd revive this old thread in time for Hobart with an awesome pic by Andrea Francolini of the two WO Girls in action at Race week

IMG_8845.jpg