edouard

Rolex Wild Oats XI

The length of the flat top on the main on a boat of that side makes it look extra badass. I sort of feel the Wild Oats logo might benefit from an update though. The Audi text makes it look dated. They should make the sail actually silver so as to get the super weird crew lighting effect we saw on Prada at the AC last year.

The length of the flat top on the main on a boat of that side makes it look extra badass.

Not boom past the transom badass..

tumblr_ndejv4nZnc1t0qhoco1_1280.jpg

....one thing I enjoy of the 18's coverage is coverage of other happenings in Aus. There's mention at 49:20 of 'Wild Thing' being involved in a courtcase,possibly missing the big boat series.

....same boat as Wild Oats?.....details??

Wild Thing different to WOXI.

Grant Wharington (skipper) has a touch of the bankruptcies. I think Grant is now boat captain for Syd Fischer's new 100 footer Ragamuffin 100.

Wild Thing is a beautiful 100 footer - it just never got it's mojo on after 2003.

Wild Thing different to WOXI.

Grant Wharington (skipper) has a touch of the bankruptcies. I think Grant is now boat captain for Syd Fischer's new 100 footer Ragamuffin 100.

Wild Thing is a beautiful 100 footer - it just never got it's mojo on after 2003.

..ahh yes...thanks for the details to my thilly question :rolleyes:

All the promo pics for the new Audi sponsorship still showing no signs of the DSS ??

anyone solved it yet ??

No sign of the DSS however I just cant see them going without it? Unless the new bow has solved their problems? Perhaps they have a Nitrogen filled bow? LOL I don't see them as the complete Pocket Knife without DSS,

you can see the DSS cutout in this photo. Given it is deployed under water on the leeward side, I wouldn't expect to see it in many photos.

1518814_10153351884692977_55625509871694

Pretty sure that is the cutout and not the one for the daggerboard anyway. (old photo from when it was first fitted)

WO-620x350.jpg

There is a news article on the Rolex Sydney Hobart website by Bruce Montgomery where Ricko mentions the new, larger DSS foil. Sorry don't know how to embed the link

Great work guys, here is the story.

At the media launch today, Mark Richards warned that although untested, the new Comanche and Ragamuffin 100 could be lethal weapons.

“You need to remember that Wild Oats XI was brand new when it broke the race record, took line honours and won the race overall in the 2005 race.”

He went on to explain how Bob Oatley’s boat plans to keep abreast of his new rivals: “We’ve had another good year in the plastic surgery department. We’ve got a new bow which is more streamlined and we’ve lengthened the carbon fibre hydrofoil wing (which helps improve her speed) which snapped off in the Gold Coast race in July.”

Anthony Bell has also added some refinements to his boat, maintaining: “Michael Coxon (North Sails and Perpetual Loyal sailing master) reckons he’s built us the biggest spinnaker ever seen on a maxi and we hope it will improve our performance.

“It was hard watching Wild Oats sail through us last year – all went quiet aboard our yacht – it was difficult when we’d built a 16 mile lead on them. We fell in a patch with no wind and just went round in circles. I was brought up a Catholic, so I kept praying. Hopefully that won’t happen again,” he said.

There is a news article on the Rolex Sydney Hobart website by Bruce Montgomery where Ricko mentions the new, larger DSS foil. Sorry don't know how to embed the link

This one?

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2014/pre-race/rolex-sydney-hobart-yacht-race-unfinished-business-for-the-oats%E2%80%99-chasers-a-new-deal-for-corinthians-in-70th-edition/

This one?

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2014/pre-race/rolex-sydney-hobart-yacht-race-unfinished-business-for-the-oats%E2%80%99-chasers-a-new-deal-for-corinthians-in-70th-edition/

The relevant part is above pertaining to the newer DSS foil which has been extended.

you can see the DSS cutout in this photo. Given it is deployed under water on the leeward side, I wouldn't expect to see it in many photos.

1518814_10153351884692977_55625509871694

Nah - thats the daggerboards - the DSS foil is further back - almost inline with the keel

looks like I'll have to head down to Woolwich over the weekend and investigate :rolleyes:

post-54587-0-11388400-1417150361_thumb.jpg

The new bow looks wider and rounder like beau geste. Is that their latest mod?

I thought it was supposed to be more narrow?

I thought it was supposed to be more narrow?

Pretty sure they sharpened her entry, no? IIRC, the addition of the DSS gave them additional lift forward so they could fine-up her entry.

The new bow was to stop the boat from nose diving if I am correct so I suspect they would have added volume somehow? I know they have gained speed also with the new bow. In the CLEAN interview with the boat manager he mentioned they were very surprised with the performance gains directly attributed to the new bow.

The new bow was to stop the boat from nose diving if I am correct so I suspect they would have added volume somehow? I know they have gained speed also with the new bow. In the CLEAN interview with the boat manager he mentioned they were very surprised with the performance gains directly attributed to the new bow.

I may be wrong but if you look at the raw footage the bow pierced well but they were looking to improve even more. DSS does the lifting. No need for more volume.

I may be wrong but if you look at the raw footage the bow pierced well but they were looking to improve even more. DSS does the lifting. No need for more volume.

+1

New bow is finer entry and lower drag, and includes the solid carbon bob stay and redesigned sprit.

From horses mouth

Bob Oatleys McConaghy Built Reichel Pugh designed Wild Oats XI hit the start line for the Sydney Southport race sporting a new low drag bow and bow sprit modification. The McConaghy team in Sydney worked around the clock to complete the modification in time for the Southport race. The new bow design was a great success as Wild Oats disappeared over the horizon leaving the fleet in her wake. Over night the breeze filled from the south west providing some heavy running conditions and the new solid carbon bob stay and bow pole modification was tested in anger.

And HERE

“It’s all about reducing drag,” said Richards, “and when we looked at the bow we realised there was a much-needed modification right in front of our eyes.

The big boat will be sporting a more streamlined bow when she lines up against a quality fleet in the IRC Grand Prix division at this year’s edition of the great regatta, which starts on August 16.

While the top speed Wild Oats XI has recorded to date is 35 knots, Bob Oatley, skipper Mark Richards, and the team, are looking for more out of the nine-year-old design

The bobstay was a length of PBO (polybenzoxazole) super-light, rod-like rigging that was tensioned by a thick stainless steel rigging screw at the bottom. Now, that’s all gone and been replaced by a very thin panel of carbon fibre, not dissimilar to what is used on a modern Day 18ft skiff. Also, the stem has been reshaped – from a rounded section to a much sharper, knife-like shape.

hard to see from the photos, but I suspect the change to the bow was more above the waterline than below. Reduced topside flare to better pierce the waves than ride up. Still plenty of reserve bouyancy where you need it down low.

I watched the replay of the start from last years race while I was cleaning the kitchen last night.

If you played a drinking game where you drank any time they mentioned WOXI you'd be bloody legless.

I often say to people "did you see us at the start of the race", but they always say no - now I know why! We always joke about how the coverage is biased towards Wild Oats, but the extent of that, when I finally saw it, blows me away!

That all said - good on Ricko and the WOXI crew for managing the media and expectations well. Everything they do helps the profile of sailing. If the public love it, and watch it, then that's all good.

Good luck to Wild Oats this year - mates are sailing on a few of the maxis and I hope the trip for them has the competition, challenge, reward and adventure it holds for the rest of us.

As an aside - as a competitor in the race - I always am grateful that I'm among the fleet and not jockeying for a place among that spectators - it looks like carnage from where we are.

I watched the replay of the start from last years race while I was cleaning the kitchen last night.

If you played a drinking game where you drank any time they mentioned WOXI you'd be bloody legless.

I often say to people "did you see us at the start of the race", but they always say no - now I know why! We always joke about how the coverage is biased towards Wild Oats, but the extent of that, when I finally saw it, blows me away!

That all said - good on Ricko and the WOXI crew for managing the media and expectations well. Everything they do helps the profile of sailing. If the public love it, and watch it, then that's all good.

Good luck to Wild Oats this year - mates are sailing on a few of the maxis and I hope the trip for them has the competition, challenge, reward and adventure it holds for the rest of us.

As an aside - as a competitor in the race - I always am grateful that I'm among the fleet and not jockeying for a place among that spectators - it looks like carnage from where we are.

If you had won as many races as WOXI then you would be getting the same coverage., As long as I can remember TV coverage has always gone to to the bigger boats, Oats XI on TV is not the annoying factor, it's the other 100' pretenders who never beat her.! Please if you want to change the paradigm then do something about it..........This is not directed to TPOT but to Oats haters...

The length of the flat top on the main on a boat of that side makes it look extra badass.

tumblr_ndejv4nZnc1t0qhoco1_1280.jpg

a too long boom poses the risk of the mast coming down - while a chinese jibe...the frensh naval architects try this by saying that the mast does not need the backstay on while running downwind......i would have a bad feeling going down wind in a lot of breeze without some pressure on the runner...

Pretty sure that is the cutout and not the one for the daggerboard anyway. (old photo from when it was first fitted)

WO-620x350.jpg

I call that a dns stabilisation wing.

a too long boom poses the risk of the mast coming down - while a chinese jibe...the frensh naval architects try this by saying that the mast does not need the backstay on while running downwind......i would have a bad feeling going down wind in a lot of breeze without some pressure on the runner...

A good thing then that they never intended to invite you on board.

I think comanches Boom just goes clear of the split backstay.? I think they Put some pressure on the backstay running downwind..but i dont know - maybe Main stays are sufficient...

Pretty sure they remove the backstays if they have a primarily running race to bring weight down.

I think comanches Boom just goes clear of the split backstay.? I think they Put some pressure on the backstay running downwind..but i dont know - maybe Main stays are sufficient...

runners, no backstay.

yes - runners or two backstays or split backstay - do not know what you call them - i just woder wether they loosen both of them in heavy running conditions? in a wipe out this could bring the mast down - but on the other hand are the d1s alone give the mast enough support to the back....?

Just wondering

No way would the cap shrouds be enough to keep the rig up. There's not nearly enough rake in the spreaders.

Hell, Minis put the new runner on right away during a gybe, and their spreaders are /way/ back. I'd be blown away if they had anything significantly below max load on the runners heading downhill.

But, I am no expert, just an observer.

HW

yes - runners or two backstays or split backstay - do not know what you call them - i just woder wether they loosen both of them in heavy running conditions? in a wipe out this could bring the mast down - but on the other hand are the d1s alone give the mast enough support to the back....?

Just wondering

Just wondering

Even sleds with a permanent keep some load on the runners so the rig doesn't go wobbly.

New DSS Foil is better than they expected. Also they didn't use it during the Big Boat Challenge deliberately to gauge their performance. Now they're saying it provides other benefits even in lighter winds. If this is all true $1.65 for a line honors win is great value. They have all bases covered, a narrow boat that is unbeatable in the light, then when it blows they deploy the DSS foil and they have much added stability and a smoother motion at sea. Oats and their foil options could be the new way to go rather than beam beam beam?

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Sydney-Hobart---Wild-Oats-XI:-Latest-attachment-is-making-a-difference/129780

Thanks for that info Terra!

New DSS Foil is better than they expected. Also they didn't use it during the Big Boat Challenge deliberately to gauge their performance. Now they're saying it provides other benefits even in lighter winds. If this is all true $1.65 for a line honors win is great value. They have all bases covered, a narrow boat that is unbeatable in the light, then when it blows they deploy the DSS foil and they have much added stability and a smoother motion at sea. Oats and their foil options could be the new way to go rather than beam beam beam?

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Sydney-Hobart---Wild-Oats-XI:-Latest-attachment-is-making-a-difference/129780

On Southern Excellence 2 Once settled into decent breeze running or in zero territory we add a top mast line to a clip attached to the top runner and pressure it up individually of the other runner lines onto a winch. You can get some serious pumping at the top of the rig in swell & i can only imagine its magnified on the 100's.

Obviously some psychology going on here too...but taking what Ricko says at face value, DSS delivers for WOXI more than expected and hence could cause some further thinking around the total displacement v stability parameters. Might also be something Syd looks at for Rags 100 at some point as it is also relatively light and skinny.

Would be fascinating to see how a designed-for-DSS-from-scratch WOXI would look. DSS wasn't on the horizon when R/P designed the boat. I read somewhere that Hugh W does have plans afoot for a DSS 100 footer but no idea whether this is vapourware at this point or a serious funded proposition.

Obviously some psychology going on here too...but taking what Ricko says at face value, DSS delivers for WOXI more than expected and hence could cause some further thinking around the total displacement v stability parameters. Might also be something Syd looks at for Rags 100 at some point as it is also relatively light and skinny.

Would be fascinating to see how a designed-for-DSS-from-scratch WOXI would look. DSS wasn't on the horizon when R/P designed the boat. I read somewhere that Hugh W does have plans afoot for a DSS 100 footer but no idea whether this is vapourware at this point or a serious funded proposition.

Hugh said they looked at it and their analysis was that it would look nothing like Comanche with the wide ass. No plans yet though. I think they're focused on the new narrower, fixed keel, IMOCA boats.

I agree. One shot ponies might be a thing of the past. And wide asses too.

Foils for ocean racers(multies and monos) are here to stay. Whats going to change is how much they lift-which makes for some real exciting development on the horizon!

Go Wild Oats XI !

This explains the section of foil we saw in the Big Boat Challenge

“We were pleasantly surprised by the increase in speed that came when the wing was extended out to leeward at the time when Wild Oats XI was doing about 18 knots under spinnaker,” said Steve Quigley, of One2three Naval Architects, who worked on the project.

“Now, in researching it further, we’ve come to the conclusion that by making the hydrofoil about 800mm longer we’ll be able to deploy it in lighter winds and consequently increase the yacht’s speed in those conditions. It’s a development that should make Wild Oats XI an even better all-round boat: something that’s usually an important prerequisite for success in the Hobart race.”

Because of the increase in length, the wing, which is located in an athwartships cassette at the waterline near the mast, will extend beyond the hull at all times. When not in use it will be seen on the windward side, then when deployed it will be out to leeward so that it can provide the desired lift, and consequently a reduction in hull drag.

Wild Oats XI’s skipper, Mark Richards, confirmed the new appendage, which was fitted last weekend, will be tested extensively in trials starting today on Sydney Harbour and offshore.

This explains the section of foil we saw in the Big Boat Challenge

“We were pleasantly surprised by the increase in speed that came when the wing was extended out to leeward at the time when Wild Oats XI was doing about 18 knots under spinnaker,” said Steve Quigley, of One2three Naval Architects, who worked on the project.

“Now, in researching it further, we’ve come to the conclusion that by making the hydrofoil about 800mm longer we’ll be able to deploy it in lighter winds and consequently increase the yacht’s speed in those conditions. It’s a development that should make Wild Oats XI an even better all-round boat: something that’s usually an important prerequisite for success in the Hobart race.”

Because of the increase in length, the wing, which is located in an athwartships cassette at the waterline near the mast, will extend beyond the hull at all times. When not in use it will be seen on the windward side, then when deployed it will be out to leeward so that it can provide the desired lift, and consequently a reduction in hull drag.

Wild Oats XI’s skipper, Mark Richards, confirmed the new appendage, which was fitted last weekend, will be tested extensively in trials starting today on Sydney Harbour and offshore.

Interesting. They could sharpen the ends and use it as a savage luffing rammer. Much like the hub spikes on Messala's chariot.

DAAAAAAAAAAMN WAS THAT WILD OATS!!!

attachicon.gifgal-cars-grease-2.jpg

Well done. :)

What is wrong with you guys. Don't you know Comanche is going to win?

attachicon.gif100-foot-racing-yacht-COMANCHE-under-sail.jpg

She certainly could - if the weather favours her big arse torso. But the chances? I wouldn't put money on that. Having said that, she looked pretty good in light airs on Sydney Harbour, so who knows? If it's real heavy weather and she stays in one piece, maybe she has a chance.

Oats has spent all day off the coast of Sydney in rough conditions and it looks like she's out there for the night - just tacked off Long Reef and headed back out to sea - 9PM

these guy's are serious!

WOXI is chopping the DSS board back down to a length that can be completely accommodated within the beam of the boat. Seems having extra board dangling about isn't a great deal in heavy sea / breeze. Source: Mysailing.com.au

Richards added that sailing in such testing conditions also proved that the extended hydrofoil wing – which was recently increased in length by 800 millimetres – was not such a good idea. While it had delivered the desired increase in speed in light winds, it was a hindrance in rough seas.

“The extra length protruding out to windward caused Wild Oats to slam much harder off the back of big waves when we were sailing upwind,” Richards explained. “There was only one solution – take the wing back to its original length so that it would be completely encased within the hull when not in use. So, the boat is now out of the water so the wing can be modified.”

It is interesting that WOXI was not utilizing the DSS foil upwind.

Any ideas?

That's a small victory for Comanche. The extended fol provided further advantages. Finally her skinny hull limited her in doing something. Not a biggie for Oats I suspect they would have loved any advantage they could get

It is interesting that WOXI was not utilizing the DSS foil upwind.

Any ideas?

Think about the vectors, think about what creates lift with the DSS ....

Richards also revealed that a new, maximum sized upwind “Code Zero” headsail, which is scheduled to arrive from America on Thursday, would complete Wild Oats XI’s sail inventory for the race.

Oats has spent all day off the coast of Sydney in rough conditions and it looks like she's out there for the night - just tacked off Long Reef and headed back out to sea - 9PM

these guy's are serious!

Kicking it up a notch.....damn!

"At the end of the day, when skipper Mark Richards turned the yacht back towards Sydney Heads, Wild Oats XI gave her crew a stunning ride as she surfed down big seas, at one stage topping a remarkable 33 knots. At the time her mainsail had been reefed down to almost a quarter of its size, and a small No. 4 jib was set." - Mysail.com

WO%20XI%20Hobart%20race%202013%20-%20pic

Richards also revealed that a new, maximum sized upwind Code Zero headsail, which is scheduled to arrive from America on Thursday, would complete Wild Oats XIs sail inventory for the race.

Oh for the love of God, now we're going to have to listen to Abbo prattle on about how tight luff headsails are all the rage, and loose luffed sails are soooooo last year...

Damn you Oats!

Easy Tiger...that's never what he said

Easy Tiger, we mock him because he spouted off that Commanche was all tight luffed, then about faced to "told you so" when he was proven wrong. Read back through the new cubed thread.

Here's something for the geeks to enjoy. Ragamuffin 100 ORCi cert just issued. A bit weird as it shows up without moveable ballast, canting keelers do have that recorded as well as their static heel angle at full cant. Not sure what that's about.

Rated without spinnakers too.

http://data.orc.org/public/WPub.dll/CC/55163.pdf

Ah maybe I am illiterate and I don't need to pick a fight

But wasn't the whole point that he was making that they only had tight luff DW sails which he thought given his experience was going to be a bit of a challenge in VMG running scenario...

Then they built one

Pretty contrary to what you re putting down?

But wasn't the whole point that he was making that they only had tight luff DW sails which he thought given his experience was going to be a bit of a challenge in VMG running scenario...

Then they built one

Nah, and I don't want to pick a fight either. He grew a boner about them only rolling with tight luffs. His tune changed gradually from what they're doing to what they should do.

I'll leave it at that, you're a good guy Rossy. It's just fun to pick on Abbo. He's an Aussie Left Hook.

mr monkey

read 'upwind' Code headsail

the whole 'lack of' loose luffed spinnakers ( a death sentence for Beau G & Loyal last year) is about VMG running !

however if there is an irony ( that supports your theory) it's that WOxi did not run the white loose luff sail in the Big boat challenge

Then they built one

Nah, and I don't want to pick a fight either. He grew a boner about them only rolling with tight luffs. His tune changed gradually from what they're doing to what they should do.

I'll leave it at that, you're a good guy Rossy. It's just fun to pick on Abbo. He's an Aussie Left Hook.

Does he really deserve to to be called that?

mr monkey

read 'upwind' Code headsail

the whole 'lack of' loose luffed spinnakers ( a death sentence for Beau G & Loyal last year) is about VMG running !

however if there is an irony ( that supports your theory) it's that WOxi did not run the white loose luff sail in the Big boat challenge

Thank you Captain Obvious! Apparently humor confuses you.

Then they built one

Does he really deserve to to be called that?

Yes

Silly question, I am sure, but are there Wild Oates 1-10?

WetHog :ph34r:

10 is Alive's sister RP/66

Pretty sure she's still WOX

Silly question, I am sure, but are there Wild Oates 1-10?

Wild Oats 1 is a Farr 43 IOR boat now sailing as Wild Rose.

Wild Oats X is a semi sister to "Alive" - R/P 66. Oatley still owns it.

Wild Oats IX is now called Wild Joe and sails in Europe. R/P 60 designed as a fixed keeler but converted to CBTF during build.

Boat prior to that was called "Another Duchess" and sails out of the CYCA infer the bane"You're Hired" - sailed in the big boat race last week. Davidson 57 bay racer.

No idea about the rest

Thanks for the responses to my previous question. Did a brief search before I asked it. Ultimately though XI is the only one of consequence it sounds like.

Having said all that, will there be a XII? From their brief dalliance as COR for AC35 I know there is an elder Oates and his son. Are both closely involved in XI, or is the Elder more involved than the son, or visa versa?

Uncle Bob has two sons, Ian and Sandy.

While I'm here, the Farr 43 was certainly in there but it wasn't number 1. The string of Bob's boats goes way back to the 1960's

according to both Bob and the owner of Wild Rose, that was the first.

I'll go find my interview with him last year

Thanks for the responses to my previous question. Did a brief search before I asked it. Ultimately though XI is the only one of consequence it sounds like.

Depends. X is quite the weapon around the buoys when they bring her out of the shed.

Depends. X is quite the weapon around the buoys when they bring her out of the shed.

Oh. Any pictures of 10?

In your head, take WOXI, shrink it 34 feet and go back to a 2005 vintage foil package. Boom.

Thanks. :lol:

Really?

Looked a lot different to that when I saw it at RPYAC last week.

Very different foil package to original.

In your head, take WOXI, shrink it 34 feet and go back to a 2005 vintage foil package. Boom.

Oats X still races at least once a week on Pittwater - normally with Bob onboard - she lives in the water permanently at Royal Prince Alfred YC in Newport, Sydney

has the same Dagger board set up as WOXI nowadays but not the DSS.

basically a miniature version and still looks brand spanking new - like all their boats

Finally found a couple pictures of her from 3-4 years ago. She does look just like her big sister. Damn good looking boats:

24bsnj7.jpg

2uiysu9.jpg

Hijack over. ;)

WOX is a RP66 and same as "Alive" (built in US with a single foil) very light and heavilly optimised and entered in S2H with a pretty smart looking crew inc Rob Brown, Wade Morgan and others. If not too much heavy stuff on the nose, will be up there in IRC.

Having said all that, will there be a XII? From their brief dalliance as COR for AC35 I know there is an elder Oates and his son. Are both closely involved in XI, or is the Elder more involved than the son, or visa versa?

They now own an AC 45 so I guess that's XII

Oats X won the Admirals Cup in 2006 i think - she's no slouch.

interesting to see how she would finish in a hobart - top 10 for sure