edouard

Rolex Wild Oats XI

So whats the gee o with oats broken boom?

Just heard on the radio here in Melb.......and as we all know, the wider media always gets these things spot on.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/sydney-to-hobart-wild-oats-ragamuffin-still-plan-on-racing-despite-suffering-setbacks/story-fni2frsp-1227163771445

Wild Oats had an issue with their goose neck, a piece of equipment which connects the boom to the mast, which was being repaired on Sunday with Ragamuffins team reportedly dealing with an issue on their deck.

Its being fixed and there is no problem, said Wild Oats tactician Iain Murray of the gooseneck. We could have sailed with it. It just would have been a pain.

If they went out today it was with IAS off.

Maybe they their AIS on and you couldn't detect on your IAS system....

Nice try. Trouble is that my AIS system is in Rhode Island so in order to compensate for the distance issue I relied on MarineTraffic and they couldn't pick it up either.

This is all getting a bit bitchy isn't it? Are you guys having cycle issues?

Bitchy hair criticism from a bald deadshit- is that your best lure.

;)

diff is that I've taken the piss out of Ricko for his coif in person, mostly 'cause my arms are bigger than his

. . . and Ken Read also said that Spithill would be quitting the AC to race on Comanche.

Bitchy hair criticism from a bald deadshit- is that your best lure.

;)

diff is that I've taken the piss out of Ricko for his coif in person, mostly 'cause my arms are bigger than his

'Roids and a runaway mouth do not alter the fact that you suffer from a Freudian inadequacy of your pate, which you try to compensate with a shit beard - but I do applaud the in-person approach - too many here forget that when they spew....

Happy New Fuckers :P

Ha! Have to stay away from the roids but only because the only thing I'm more proud of than my adult arms is my baby's arm.

Ha! Have to stay away from the roids but only because the only thing I'm more proud of than my adult arms is my baby's arm.

That's now how your missus described it....... There was however use of the words "Baby Maggot"....... Bless.

She's far too nice to be with you - what's your secret?

Here's hoping everyone else got Maggotted, in the more normal sense, over the New Years. :lol:

Oats packed up for their trip over for Transpac, from the Rags facebook page.

Interesting comparison of stern profiles.

More interesting is the chat about the next round of modifications for WOXI after she gets back from Hawaii. Out come the chainsaws... 2m being removed from the stern, 8m being removed from the bow and a new 10m bow section (currently being fabricated by Maccas) to be added to the front. Easiest way to shift the CoE back in the boat by 2m! Seems they like the Commanche look of having the trav right at the back of the bus!

11203618_596581697148553_241818886668435

Interesting comparison of stern profiles.

More interesting is the chat about the next round of modifications for WOXI after she gets back from Hawaii. Out come the chainsaws... 2m being removed from the stern, 8m being removed from the bow and a new 10m bow section (currently being fabricated by Maccas) to be added to the front. Easiest way to shift the CoE back in the boat by 2m! Seems they like the Commanche look of having the trav right at the back of the bus!

11203618_596581697148553_241818886668435

sounds ugly!

They must be planning to continue racing OS. Seems silly to do those mods for SH alone considering Comanche said she wasn't coming back this year.

Is that Syd's IMS 52 in the foreground?

I suppose it depends if she beats Comanche in the Transpac. It would be odd to see anyone take a chainsaw to a winner.

Adding 2m to the bow will make her even sharper at the front - wave piercing bow??? "DSS" is supposed to smooth out the up and down motion so perhaps they simply want to go straight through the waves now. Now that would be a wet way to go to Hobart!

think it's time for Bob to dig into those deep pockets and build WO XII

Keep WOXI as is - I'd hate to see them ruin such a pretty boat

They must be planning to continue racing OS. Seems silly to do those mods for SH alone considering Comanche said she wasn't coming back this year.

IMS 50, old Farr IOR 50 deck with a new hull grafted on round 20 years ago

think it's time for Bob to dig into those deep pockets and build WO XII

Keep WOXI as is - I'd hate to see them ruin such a pretty boat

I have a hunch he is waiting until the offshore foil assisted mono learning curve flattens out long enough to get a boat built. Otherwise there is fuck all point building a new version of the same boat

I think it's quite cool the way they keep modifying her. It's like messing around with aerodynamic bits in F1 to get incremental gains in performance. The problem with keeping her as she is is then she becomes outmoded, good for promotional sailing with corporate guests like Steinlager. I hope they keep modding her until they run out of development ideas, and I predict that she will remain pretty because somehow with this boat, pretty is fast.

I think Rags 100 is sailing across to get to the start.

Rumour rolling around Hobart tonight is that Richo has just announced that he is stepping off WOXI !!!!!!!!!!

He was only stepping off to go to the Customs House. They still don't deliver!

IMS 50, old Farr IOR 50 deck with a new hull grafted on round 20 years ago

That's the one I was thinking of.

My boat was on the hard at Woolwich dock yesterday and WOXI was still on her stand being prepped, so that picture was not yesterday. I think they were spraying some extra components for her cradle.

Looks to me like they have removed the forward cannard and DSS foils. Also the bulb shape has changed a little again and the little winglets are gone from the tail of the bulb. I had heard they were there to stop the bulb dolphining up and down when canted, but now it has a very flat trailing edge that may do the same thing?

She's looking extraordinarily shiny and if she doesn't do well it will not be because of any lack of polishing!

cheers

My boat was on the hard at Woolwich dock yesterday and WOXI was still on her stand being prepped, so that picture was not yesterday. I think they were spraying some extra components for her cradle.

Looks to me like they have removed the forward cannard and DSS foils. Also the bulb shape has changed a little again and the little winglets are gone from the tail of the bulb. I had heard they were there to stop the bulb dolphining up and down when canted, but now it has a very flat trailing edge that may do the same thing?

She's looking extraordinarily shiny and if she doesn't do well it will not be because of any lack of polishing!

cheers

Word is 1,000 man hours of prep has gone into the underside so she's slippery for Transpac. That level of bottom work shows how serious they are... as they'll be chopping it up after one race.

Duncan - 2.0metres of 100ft is 15% of length - not 25%

And just because the rig is effectively 2.0metres further back - does not automatically move the CoE with it. The keel, DB's and DSS are staying where they were.

The Fore triangle gets bigger - maybe the bowsprit grows - it could well be that the CoE hardly moves.

Just sayin......

Duncan - 2.0metres of 100ft is 15% of length - not 25%

And just because the rig is effectively 2.0metres further back - does not automatically move the CoE with it. The keel, DB's and DSS are staying where they were.

The Fore triangle gets bigger - maybe the bowsprit grows - it could well be that the CoE hardly moves.

Just sayin......

ohh yeh. I misread and thought it was the 8m number.

+-2m could be done with rake on a rig that size, easy.

COE will move, but CLR stays put and can be controlled with the boards.

& there's no one else to race against.

Yep, she's due to depart Sydney on Friday. Destination: Long Beach (via Tahiti).

The crap bucket?

From recollection wasn't that upgraded to an all carbon version not so long ago??

Pretty sure it would have been carbon from new. Alfa 90 had a carbon toilet.

Why not new Wild Oats XII?

Why build a XII. The existing one is the worlds fastest 100.

In lighter conditions. In Windy conditions Comanche would be gone. Just watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart, huge speed advantage.

Oats is not the worlds fastest 100, and maybe she never has been.

The difference is Oats was built to win races, well one race really, & she does that well. What are we now 8 from 10 starts?

Comanche was built to set records, if the conditions aren't right for a record it doesn't matter much where she finishes. But if there are record conditions the one she sets is going to take some beating!

You pays your money & you makes your choice. Two different choices, two VERY different boats.

TUBBY

Tubby Oats sister ship and her design predecessors (various alfas) have won hundreds of races the world over, eg most recent mono fast net as esimet, mono record in Transpac by a day odd in ?2008

, this one race thing is bullshit, RP100s don't all of a sudden slow up outside of the s2h

Oats is not the worlds fastest 100, and maybe she never has been.

The difference is Oats was built to win races, well one race really, & she does that well. What are we now 8 from 10 starts?

Comanche was built to set records, if the conditions aren't right for a record it doesn't matter much where she finishes. But if there are record conditions the one she sets is going to take some beating!

You pays your money & you makes your choice. Two different choices, two VERY different boats.

TUBBY

Oats may not be the worlds fastest 100, but she is still faster than Comanche. One race against each other, one winner.

Yep, she's due to depart Sydney on Friday. Destination: Long Beach (via Tahiti).

oops - Marine traffic has her heading back yesterday and parked back in Rozelle as of last night.

Tubby Oats sister ship and her design predecessors (various alfas) have won hundreds of races the world over, eg most recent mono fast net as esimet, mono record in Transpac by a day odd in ?2008

, this one race thing is bullshit, RP100s don't all of a sudden slow up outside of the s2h

Not in any way suggesting that Oats isn't supremely capable, to win the Hobart (more than once on a fluke of pulling your conditions all the way), you need to be good all-round. And surprisingly to most you need to be good in the light stuff because nine times out of ten you will park somewhere & I'm not just talking about going up the river.

At the time she was built it was a coin toss between her and the then Alfa, but the constant mods have stepped her up from there so she would now be the fastest RP.

My intended point was that Comanche is not an all-rounder, & while Oats will beat her most of the time, given record breaking conditions It's Comanche the will set the new number.

Side by side in Comanche's conditions Oats got smoked. But over the course she won well.

This same argument may well hold true for some of the other wide body 100s, but my guess is that in the conditions that they would beat Oats they wouldn't see which way Comanche went either.

You decide which one you want to call the fastest.

TUBBY

Oats is the light wind king and Comanche is the king in some breeze.! Anyone who saw the start of the Hobart race would know that.

Longer races mandate a variety of weather as different as yesterday against tomorrows forecast, so what kinda boat is going to win

cheers

confirmed that they have removed the dss foils for the transpac to save weight. i thought the foils were supposed to allow them to push harder going downhill? is this a recognition they werent working?

cheers

confirmed that they have removed the dss foils for the transpac to save weight. i thought the foils were supposed to allow them to push harder going downhill? is this a recognition they werent working?

Expecting lighter winds maybe?

Don't need the extra RM or weight.

Forgot to take cooking pans......... ? It happens sometimes

cheers

Expecting lighter winds maybe?

Don't need the extra RM or weight.

I suspect the DSS only works above the rating hit on a tight reach. Isn't TP mostly a VMG run after the first few days?

Not sure on the angle. They said they dropped 400kg off the bulb as well, so if they're taking a big drop in RM & an overall weight drop of 1tonne that would mean they expect lighter winds to me. I could be totally wrong though.

Seems crazy to me to modify it. What's the competition RAGS100? Are they doing this to beat Rags on handicap? I know they aren't eligible for the overall but I'm guessing there is another handicap? Going off past form WOXI would have beat the other 100's without mods.

But they are always doing mods to her.

Maybe an opportunity to field test a different configuration before the grand modification suggested above for the next S2H

Given the scale of that 'grand modification' above if true can she still be called WOXI at the very least she'd have to be WOXI.V or WOXII right?

Not sure on the angle. They said they dropped 400kg off the bulb as well, so if they're taking a big drop in RM & an overall weight drop of 1tonne that would mean they expect lighter winds to me. I could be totally wrong though.

Seems crazy to me to modify it. What's the competition RAGS100? Are they doing this to beat Rags on handicap? I know they aren't eligible for the overall but I'm guessing there is another handicap? Going off past form WOXI would have beat the other 100's without mods.

it never occurred to you they are going for Alfas record? Of course the weight is off for running and better handling downwind

it never occurred to you they are going for Alfas record? Of course the weight is off for running and better handling downwind

Careful now, that's the simplest and most logical answer and therefore, it will not do.

Alfa's record hey. I guess that makes sense for the Disney Crew.

Why does it not make sense for any any supermaxi / crew to go for a race record esp given this is one of the classic race passages. Also even an unproven cheaper 100 like rags might run like buggery with trades behind her, even if shes inferior as an allrounder, also dont be surprised if they are all running 'light'

The other consideration is the record is not a 'soft' target. Croaky put on over 1200nm in one 3 day window back there, I suspect it may stand

What doesn't make sense to me is chopping up your hugely successful boat, building a new bulb etc for this race, just before you chop it into 3 pieces. Maybe the lighter bulb & lack of DSS copy fits in with the mods, more form stability, seeing she'll be wider at the stern. I guess someone has their reasons & Bob's cheque book. She's just beaten her only competition why change anything.

Running light you say? Wharro might convince Syd to sail 3 up.

I don't think she's chopped up for this one, setting config 'light' for a transpac is very very normal for decades

I don't think she's chopped up for this one, setting config 'light' for a transpac is very very normal for decades

They removed the DSS copy system & I don't think that's a day job, tubes, boards, rams, electrics & then you have the structure to repair inside & outside of the hull. Plus they built a new bulb.

Think the mods make sense, certainly not a major. Don't underestimate the new Rags also, she is faster than you think. Record chasing and ensuring she stays ahead of Rags would be the 2 motives.

They make sense on their own but not when the next mod is to chop it into 3 pieces. Whoever pulls the strings nowadays must have two wheelbarrows, one for his balls of steel & one full of $100 bills.

WOXI said they shaved off a tonne in total what does that get them down to? Around 27tonnes??? What does Rags weigh with the new hull?

They removed the DSS copy system & I don't think that's a day job, tubes, boards, rams, electrics & then you have the structure to repair inside & outside of the hull. Plus they built a new bulb.

really? Wouldn't unbolting the crap inside and inserting a few flush plugs do the job?

really? Wouldn't unbolting the crap inside and inserting a few flush plugs do the job?

Lift out, fill holes, sand, fill again, sand again, mask up, primer, dry, colour match, top coat, dry, top coat, dry, machine buff, lift in. & then you've got the internals, hydraulic lines, rams, electrics, build a new bulb etc etc more than a day job I suggest.

Think the mods make sense, certainly not a major. Don't underestimate the new Rags also, she is faster than you think. Record chasing and ensuring she stays ahead of Rags would be the 2 motives.

She isn't, most of the chatter regarding her after Hobart was regarding her not living up to the promises speed wise.

the WOXI website says in the 'Key developments' area - 'the underside of the hull has been resurfaced with a high performance finish'

is this just a high gloss polyurethane ?

she looks very very shiny - I thought a high gloss bottom was slow :wacko:

Lift out, fill holes, sand, fill again, sand again, mask up, primer, dry, colour match, top coat, dry, top coat, dry, machine buff, lift in. & then you've got the internals, hydraulic lines, rams, electrics, build a new bulb etc etc more than a day job I suggest.

yeh yeh -- but with those resources and relative to other work she's had, its just a quick cut and shut.

yeh yeh -- but with those resources and relative to other work she's had, its just a quick cut and shut.

Agreed.

They make sense on their own but not when the next mod is to chop it into 3 pieces. Whoever pulls the strings nowadays must have two wheelbarrows, one for his balls of steel & one full of $100 bills.

WOXI said they shaved off a tonne in total what does that get them down to? Around 27tonnes??? What does Rags weigh with the new hull?

I don't see anything wrong with the mods. You can't take your money with you when you die, so why not have fun with your toys while you can!

I don't see anything wrong with the mods. You can't take your money with you when you die, so why not have fun with your toys while you can!

True, but is it still Bob's crusade?

Scans, your angles generally point to Cost vs benefit, you must stop doing this for millionaires toys !!! Are you a frustrated Accountant?

What are the chances that they already had that bulb sitting around in the corner of the yard?

The said 'new' in the press release & one went to RAGS100, but has to be a possibility.