edouard

Rolex Wild Oats XI

My daughter won me a ride on Wild Oats a few years ago for selling their wines at a pub she worked at - they kept delaying and delaying, and of course it never happened.....wasn't impressed.

Local Pickup Only

A ride for 2 on the NEW WOXI up for grabs on eBay - money raised goes to the local Avalon Sailing Club

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wild-Oats-XI-A-ride-for-2-/231736199626?hash=item35f48dc9ca:g:AycAAOSwT5tWJzLn

I'm sure they feared your scrutiny....!

only if it has stretch on the halyards? right??

:huh:

First sail is scheduled for Saturday 5th December.

I'm in Sydney from December 4. Thanks. I'll look out for her.

Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for tuning, re-cuts and correcting other general fuck ups.

C on other hand will land race ready...

Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for tuning, re-cuts and correcting other general fuck ups.

C on other hand will land race ready...

.......reverse rolls from last year. :mellow:

. ....how's the weather looking? :rolleyes:

Must be time for the boat to come out of the Mona Vale shed ? Saw Iain Murray driving back from Bassett St........ Wildboats are you there ?

eyeballed it this morning - she's a way off yet.

It's all hands on deck - lot's of red T-shirts covered in fairing dust and blokes hanging onto torture boards :(

Transom was primed - we might see a new paint job by the end of the week I rekn

Oats due out of the shed next friday - took a peek this morning and she was all prepped ready for a full respray - waterline up

WB sounds as though going sailing on Sat the 5th still happening. Must be some tired lads running around.

Boys look like they're working 7 days - alot of work still to get this big girl back in the water but you'd have to say the 5th is still the target.

WB sounds as though going sailing on Sat the 5th still happening. Must be some tired lads running around.

Boys look like they're working 7 days - alot of work still to get this big girl back in the water but you'd have to say the 5th is still the target.

Looking forward to seeing her, post surgery.

JC - you write "C on other hand will land race ready..."

Wasn't that boat in a shed in Genoa for 2+ months? Have they sailed since? Is everyone really in the dark on this?

Until Clean posts about his interview, here's some info about Wild Oats progress

Starts about the 3 minute mark

https://www.facebook...pages_video_set

So, no secrets revealed there then.

Yeah, no. NDAs win out. Some possibly interesting quotes from an expert, like that WO has reached the limit on foils, and that she's designed for many conditions. Wondered if others like yourself who are more discerning might be able to glean further inferences. Can't say Clean didn't try. Cheers.

JC - you write "C on other hand will land race ready..."

Wasn't that boat in a shed in Genoa for 2+ months? Have they sailed since? Is everyone really in the dark on this?

Moon I think and repeat the word think.... that possibly all she got was a new keel with lighter bulb longer less raked foil. She lands in Sydney on the 7th.

"All"?

New fin, new bulb and you call that "all"? CNC bill alone, not counting materials would probably be half a million euro.

But there's a lot more to it ...

Moon "all" was in the context of you questioning about her being more race ready than WOXI, not $.

However on that subject, for that program a few $million spent preping for one race is zip.

Pics of her being loaded last month didn't show anything obvious, other than possibly her keel being different.

Pics 1-3 of 6

post-108919-0-62568700-1448230515_thumb.jpg

post-108919-0-86423200-1448230537_thumb.jpg

post-108919-0-02827600-1448230570_thumb.jpg

"All"?

New fin, new bulb and you call that "all"? CNC bill alone, not counting materials would probably be half a million euro.

I see, so a new bow and stern are now considered minor mods(?).

"All"?

I see, so a new bow and stern are now considered minor mods(?).

Only when you're trying to get approval from the wife. "Do you mind if I get a few minor things done on the boat before Hobart?"

Cheers

Mojo

Well the pics of Commanche don't really look much different to those of a year ago. One assumes a practised eye might pick something. Hull still fat arsed, so no cut and shut slimming program. Pedestals still there, so they haven't decided to go powered. Foils still straight, and so no lifting foils (bar the angle they have.) No mast stepped, so hard to see if there has been a rig geometry change. If there has been a fin and bulb change one might guess it is matched with a rig geometry change. Rotating wing mast with deck spreaders? (I rather doubt that.) No apparent new openings for other foils. Maybe they have enclosed the head to avoid embarrassing incidents with guests.

I will guess that have rebalanced the rig and modded the fin and RM to suit. Dunno. Do tell.

they couldn't afford to pay the extra $4.50

.......not worth more than $2.50,, depending on condition :mellow:

Shadow, tape, photo-skullduggary or.... DSS slot in line with where the keel would go????

Hope ChopChop doesn't lose all his bodily fluids at once.

Shadow, tape, photo-skullduggary or.... DSS slot in line with where the keel would go????

Hope ChopChop doesn't lose all his bodily fluids at once.

Yeah thought I may have seen the DSS too however can't really zoom in. Not long now

....I'll go with skullduggary for 100 Bob,,,conveniently hidden by the scaffold :mellow:

I can't believe no-one has commented on the foils yet :D

sml_gallery_21153_841_51001.png

......getting a bit desperate photochopper?? :lol:

She always looks fast, like a javelin, where Comanche looks fast like a club.

...yeh,,kind of a power vs finesse,,, macho,,macha thing

Shit, that new bow is ugly though.

Bow might look better when you see how long that pole is.

Looks like the slot for the FWD retractable foil is back too - couple of meters back from the bow

Looks like the slot for the FWD retractable foil is back too - couple of meters back from the bow

Will need it to stop the bow falling off (leeward and not John Clark"s explanation ;):lol: ) with the new big Code 0.

New Bow, longer sprit and all the foil accessories that you could want.

It is now the "Swiss Army Spork Chopstick" ????

With that wide arse Comanche is really a monomaran !

I guess ugly is OK if it's fast. ;)

I guess ugly is OK if it's fast. ;)

Seems to be the case with Comanche

Despite conditions and circumstances Oats is the only boat to have beaten Comanche over the line. Comanche holds new World 24 HR Record. If Oats get beaten perhaps new boat, if Comanche get's beaten where to for them as questions will be raised. Still think conditions might determine the winner?

Despite conditions and circumstances Oats is the only boat to have beaten Comanche over the line. Comanche holds new World 24 HR Record. If Oats get beaten perhaps new boat, if Comanche get's beaten where to for them as questions will be raised. Still think conditions might determine the winner?

“If we have 10 hours of light winds and head-on seas we would lose again,” Read says.

“If we have 10 hours of light winds and head-on seas we would lose again,” Read says.

...he's just trying to tip the odds before they put their bet in :rolleyes:

...he's just trying to tip the odds before they put their bet in :rolleyes:

What's the forecast?

A bit of this then a bit of that then some change and then ..............

The Sunfish are having a meeting right now to determine tactics.

My understanding is the majority of sunfish are over the whole thing. The fun has gone out of it now Warro has left the game.

Just listening to the Ricco interview with the sailor girl, 1 tonne lighter with same righting moment. Whole new sail wardrobe and the centre of buoyancy moved a fair bit aft. She sounds like a whole new rocketship.!

http://www.sail-world.com/2015-Rolex-Sydney-Hobart-Race---Launch-day-interviews/140322

Just listening to the Ricco interview with the sailor girl, 1 tonne lighter with same righting moment. Whole new sail wardrobe and the centre of buoyancy moved a fair bit aft. She sounds like a whole new rocketship.!

http://www.sail-world.com/2015-Rolex-Sydney-Hobart-Race---Launch-day-interviews/140322

.........well good on sailorgirl for asking the questions we all want t'hear. :)

...is that a metric tonne or imperial? :huh:

..if centre of gravity is presumably similar, but centre of bouyancy moves aft,,

. .......wouldn't that put more call for some errr, 'uptips' up forwards? :mellow:

What's that sound???

Big Indian fanboys sphincters' tightening maybe???

Why? I think we all know that if the Indian can stay powered up at her angles, she'll light up Oats. Oats owned some serious Indian ass in the light stuff though.

What's more intriguing is that they felt the need to chop up Oats to the extent they did. A bit worried?

....Still think conditions might determine the winner?

. nawwww....methinks it's up to kenny's uncle :mellow:

post-3217-0-50268800-1448417576_thumb.pngpost-3217-0-50268800-1448417576_thumb.png

......Still think conditions might determine the winner?

.....What's more intriguing is that they felt the need to chop up Oats to the extent they did. A bit worried?

Carefull you guys are turning this thread into an erudite and learned discussion with enlightened posts like that...

post-108919-0-64548600-1448418286_thumb.jpg

....Still think conditions might determine the winner?

. nawwww....methinks it's up to kenny's uncle :mellow:

attachicon.gifgawrsh.pngattachicon.gifgawrsh.png

Not quite cocko. Obviously both Comanche and Oats have made modifications to extend their fastest sailing modes. Comanche will go better in the light than last year and Oats will go better in the running and reaching heavy air stuff. Kenny's farken Uncle at least knows the forecast,.! :blink:

Kenny's farken Uncle at least knows the forecast,.! :blink:

........he's holding most of his bet fernow,,watching to see which chicken wakes up first on giftsmas. :wacko:

Kenny's farken Uncle at least knows the forecast,.! :blink:

........he's holding most of his bet fernow,,watching to see which chicken wakes up first on giftsmas. :wacko:

You need to cut Couch a bit of slack Terra....his couch caught fire so he is back on the day-bed.

post-108919-0-92757900-1448421402_thumb.jpg

You need to cut Couch a bit of slack Terra....his couch caught fire so he is back on the day-bed.

post-108919-0-92757900-1448421402_thumb.

.....yer gotta knowit,, and there's no cupholders here. I'm pissed :angry:

What's that sound???

Why? I think we all know that if the Indian can stay powered up at her angles, she'll light up Oats. Oats owned some serious Indian ass in the light stuff though.

What's more intriguing is that they felt the need to chop up Oats to the extent they did. A bit worried?

Careful as to which boat is which and you don't call the American boat Indian as the guys from the Indian Ocean may have a bit to say.

www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2015/indian/

What's that sound???

Careful as to which boat is which and you don't call the American boat Indian as the guys from the Indian Ocean may have a bit to say.

www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2015/indian/

That's "LittleInjun" or "0.47BigInjun"

Gold.! Thats why I love the Anarchy gang.! Oats fever is starting to build. Within 2 weeks Comanche won't stand a chance.!

Comanche won't stand a chance??? WTF Terra ..you Scanas and ChopChop do need to get a room....and go tell your doctor you all have "ménage à woxi"....its curable.

Gold.! Thats why I love the Anarchy gang.! Oats fever is starting to build. Within 2 weeks Comanche won't stand a chance.!

Within 2 weeks.... They are already talking of defeat due to any light winds or wind on the nose......

Comanche won't stand a chance??? WTF Terra ..you Scanas and ChopChop do need to get a room....and go tell your doctor you all have "ménage à woxi"....its curable.

Perhaps you could get these guys to drop in and show them all the way home?

http://www.spindrift-racing.com/jules-verne/en/live

Umpy your in the wrong room.....down the corridor, its the door marked Pitchpoling Picklefuckers...and you only go in there unless you already have caught the dreaded "ménage à multi" disease. Fuck at least "ménage à woxi" is curable.

Within 2 weeks.... They are already talking of defeat due to any light winds or wind on the nose......

That's what I love about you ChopChop....You started off banging away that WOXI was going to come out of the shed >25% faster...suddenly all your banking on is adverse weather burying Comanche.

At this rate you will be selling Comanche T-Shirts before Santa hits the deck.

That's what I love about you ChopChop....You started of banging away that WOXI was going to come out of the shed 25% faster...suddenly all your banking on is adverse weather burying Comanche.

" Adverse weather", by that I take it you mean anything except 40kts on the beam - for the one trick C poney - for the entire race

That's what I love about you ChopChop....You started of banging away that WOXI was going to come out of the shed 25% faster...suddenly all your banking on is adverse weather burying Comanche.

" Adverse weather", by that I take it you mean anything except 40kts on the beam - for the one trick C poney - for the entire race

No you turnip.. by that I mean talk up the "true merits" of your favourite, not revert to mindless degradation of the opposition ...and with respect to arguing a merit case, that is not exactly a hard thing to do for WOXI, unless you have a single digit IQ, know fuck all and or just like inventing shit of course.

I think the 25% gains mentioned by the DSS guys are compared to a fixed keel tub, not for a highly strung canter. I hope woxi wins but I don't know why.

I think the 25% gains mentioned by the DSS guys are compared to a fixed keel tub, not for a highly strung canter. I hope woxi wins but I don't know why.

I'm trying to visualize a foil configuration that could make a 'fixed keel tub' 25% faster.

Barring the introduction of anti-gravity paint, I can't.

Umpy your in the wrong room.....down the corridor, its the door marked Pitchpoling Picklefuckers...and you only go in there unless you already have caught the dreaded "ménage à multi" disease. Fuck at least "ménage à woxi" is curable.
But the annual homage to woxi, which spends 6 months of the year in a shed being chopped and rebuilt for one race is getting so boring now. Which bit is original?

Comanche is certainly the way to go. I'm certainly not addicted to multis, but you have to admire them. Can't remember seeing one when I was in Sydney for the SOLAS and Hobart 2 years ago. At least they get to come and play in the Fastnet, which I seem to recall had 400 entrants this year, not the 100 Max for the Hobart!

But the annual homage to woxi, which spends 6 months of the year in a shed being chopped and rebuilt for one race is getting so boring now. Which bit is original?

Comanche is certainly the way to go. I'm certainly not addicted to multis, but you have to admire them. Can't remember seeing one when I was in Sydney for the SOLAS and Hobart 2 years ago. At least they get to come and play in the Fastnet, which I seem to recall had 400 entrants this year, not the 100 Max for the Hobart!

I don't know about "Comanche is certainly the way to go", she got beaten last year.

1. Why start a pissing contest between the Hobart and the Fastnet - 2 of the worlds great races, but both different. Just enjoy both.

2. This is a thread about WOXI - if you are bored, why read it? WOXI is a developing racing platform, same as Comanche. Both owners are investing buckets of $$ and pushing the design envelope, but in different directions. Again, if that is of no interest, why read the thread? To me, and apparently a lot of others, both programs are interesting for what the are doing

Colin, you say "Both owners are investing buckets of $$" ...

As the old saying goes - I spent most of my money on Booze, Boats and Broads; the rest I wasted". But no one in their right mind would confuse this for an investment. A better term might be "spending", but "squandering" is probably more accurate. No?

Look, put yourself In Bob Oatley's shoes for a minute. He's 80ish, no longer able to sail much on the boat he loves to bits. If he were to build a new boat, what would he build? Comanche? Not his style. So, modding WOXI makes sense - he has plenty of money and no other meaningful way of spending it, apart from supporting the Australian Sailing Team (Olympic sailing). He genuinely loves the sport and in my view, he's doing his best to advance it. He dipped a toe into the Americas Cup waters, but was sensible enough to get the fuck out of there pdq.

I think it's great that Comanche is there to give real competition. The WOXI hour was getting old - now at least there's some interest to it all. Comanche is, by design, almost all conquering. The WOXI team is, by cunning, all about denying Comanche. Bring it on!

1. Why start a pissing contest between the Hobart and the Fastnet - 2 of the worlds great races, but both different. Just enjoy both.

2. This is a thread about WOXI - if you are bored, why read it? WOXI is a developing racing platform, same as Comanche. Both owners are investing buckets of $$ and pushing the design envelope, but in different directions. Again, if that is of no interest, why read the thread? To me, and apparently a lot of others, both programs are interesting for what the are doing

Was purely trying to inject a bit of humour and fun to the thread and Jack rose like a salmon and took the bait!! Not decrying the race or the boat.

Sure Bob & Sandy enjoy their sailing.

But they're businessmen & we underestimate the marketing opportunity that WOXI brings the "Wild Oats" wine brand. As a total guess, they may spending say $2mill a year on the sailing program? (No idea really, but this year, these mods & a new set of sails would be well north of this I'd wager?)

As the summer ramps up they start marketing Wild Oats wine... (Same logo as the name on the side of WOXI) soon the boat will be on the news every night over December, talking about her new mods & the battle against the Indian, she features heavily in the TV coverage of the S2H start, daily helo shots going down the coast, culminating with TV shot of a run up the Derwent River in Tasmainia... days of prime time coverage with full beam-on TV shots with huge Wild Oats logo, huge A-sails & Codes with the logo blazoned on them... Rob Mundle can't stop hyping the boat & therefore brand. During the S2H, the progress of WOXI leads almost every radio news bulletin. TV commercials with the boat and hot women drinking white wine over lunch...

It's all we hear about in December - Wild Oats, Wild Oats, Wild Oats...

The ROI from using the boat as a marketing tool, the brand exposure, free air time, constantly reinforcing the wine brand during peak wine drinking season, I suspect would FAR outweigh the running costs of WOXI. If they we just marketing to receive the same exposure, they'd be spending many millions more than the boat costs to campaign... without the fun!

Then we get to Hamilton Island Race Week, (the Oatleys own the island btw)... sponsored by.... Wild Oats... and WOXI is a participant...

Hell of a cool boat. But a better marketing tool for their wine!

Clever boys those Oatleys!

You forgot the tax deduction bit

Correct. I bet campaigning her probably doesn't actually cost much from their "pockets"...

Clever boys those Oatleys!

Wild Oats wines also do a lot of sponsoships of small clubs both sailing and rugby. You will find they offer very competitive pricing for them to stock the product. Its good allround