• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
edouard

Rolex Wild Oats XI

Since every thread dedicated in any way to supermaxis and/or Sydney-Hobart ends up highjacked by the WOXi fanbots, might as well start one about zee boat in zee race with this footage already posted elsewhere.

May this thread become the ultimate reference about the most successful motoryacht in sailing history.

Motor yacht hell! One of the most spectacular and advanced sailboats ever to sail any ocean-hope she wins again!

Motor yacht hell! One of the most spectacular and advanced sailboats ever to sail any ocean-hope she wins again!

Ha Ha! Fan boy.

Ha Ha! Fan boy.

Only till she ditches the DSS foils. Of course he'll jumP oN the bandWagon when they put the UpTip foils on

great video.

dss may not work on small boats but it is working beautifully in that clip. No wonder Loyal could not run her down. She may have a little bit more rocker than the new boats ????? That helps in heavy running, and in the light, and upwind!!!!

But of coarse is not "fashionable"

Wonder if there is a video of Royal in the same conditions. (last years S to Hobart)

seriously this is awesome footage - i could watch this all day but i have beer to drink

+1

Yep all that footage is from our taxpayer chopper too! The ABC chopper!

Ill pin my colours to the mast & declare that I'm a WOXI fanboy. If you know of any other boat so dominant over such a long period of time at the elite level tell us the story. Surely one of the most successful supermaxi's of all time.

I would like to congratulate Doug Lord on the work he did for CBTF and his contribution towards foils in general. Not sure if SA hands out MBE's for work done for the betterment of the Sailing fraternity but surely Doug would be up there? And well done Edouard starting this thread. Wild Oats is the king, long live the king.!

I don't think anyone can deny that WOXI is a good boat and well run, I just get sick of all the Channel 7 bullshit hype that goes with it. WOXI has done well against the competition, but the competition is not usually fighting at what would be considered optimium. In reality the boat doesn't get get tested against equally resourced and equally competitive outfits. Most of the time it races there is only 1, maybe 2 other supermaxies there to race anyway. Lets look at the competition.

Wildthing/Scandia - Has had its fair share of reliability issues, is under funded and is usually scraping it together to get to the start line each year

Maximus/Loyal/Ragamuffin - Has also had it's fair share of reliability issues. Has beat WOXI on 1 occassion. Half the crew are non sailing celebrities.

ICAP - Cruiser /racer

Rambler/Loyal - Was only relaunched just prior to last years race. A year later and the boat still hasn't spent that much time in the water. Wasn't suited to 2013 conditions.

Alfa - Has beat WOXI. Probably one of the few that could say they put together a good campaign.

Would be amazing to see all the maxis well campaigned, with their best foot forward stringing together a few international regattas. I suspect none of them have the money to do that, but then we could definatively say who the best boat is.

Cheers

Mojo

I don't think anyone can deny that WOXI is a good boat and well run, I just get sick of all the Channel 7 bullshit hype that goes with it. WOXI has done well against the competition, but the competition is not usually fighting at what would be considered optimium. In reality the boat doesn't get get tested against equally resourced and equally competitive outfits. Most of the time it races there is only 1, maybe 2 other supermaxies there to race anyway. Lets look at the competition.

Wildthing/Scandia - Has had its fair share of reliability issues, is under funded and is usually scraping it together to get to the start line each year

Maximus/Loyal/Ragamuffin - Has also had it's fair share of reliability issues. Has beat WOXI on 1 occassion. Half the crew are non sailing celebrities.

ICAP - Cruiser /racer

Rambler/Loyal - Was only relaunched just prior to last years race. A year later and the boat still hasn't spent that much time in the water. Wasn't suited to 2013 conditions.

Alfa - Has beat WOXI. Probably one of the few that could say they put together a good campaign.

Would be amazing to see all the maxis well campaigned, with their best foot forward stringing together a few international regattas. I suspect none of them have the money to do that, but then we could definatively say who the best boat is.

Cheers

Mojo

Aren't reliability issues part of racing? You don't get to drop a race for reliability issues.

In my mind she has beaten all who challenged her. If you look at ICAP, MAXIMUS, RAMBLER where all tauted as the best. They came down & got beaten. Rambler was the fastest thing in the northern hemisphere and the score board is 5-0 at the moment. I think that speaks volumes about WOXI & the crew.

I too would love to see all the supermaxi's line up with similar budgets but its not a reality. Some can only afford to stay at the top level for a short time.

Crazy speeds, and hardly a drop of water coming through the boat, unlike the VO70/65s!

I guess the extra 30 odd feet of deck helps in that regard, no?

Would it be reasonable to say BP V/Spindrift 2 would blow past WOXI on this point of sail in these conditions?

WOXI looks like it's doing about 25kts in the vid as an average speed. I'd think that spindrift would be averaging more like 35kts at that angle and pressure. So it's a big difference...

Would it be reasonable to say BP V/Spindrift 2 would blow past WOXI on this point of sail in these conditions?

WOXI looks like it's doing about 25kts in the vid as an average speed. I'd think that spindrift would be averaging more like 35kts at that angle and pressure. So it's a big difference...

Yep you just can't overcome all that lead.

at that angle and pressure you would be trying to slow down the tri to keep it in the low 40s.

and what more would one need to know to wonder what's the fuss all about wrt monos?!

that said, the boys on the back of WOXI in that video - great vid tks for sharing - look like they could be having a coffee talking about last night's game/match.

all fun. all good.

Not only that, but they'd blow right through WOXI's lee as well. But what's your point exactly?

If that's footage from the last Hobart then obviously they have the DSS foil deployed in those conditions. It certainly looks like the bow is lifted most of the time which is remarkable given the wave state. Wasn't able to sight the DSS foil but surely it was out? They are going very very fast for a narrow boat in sustained bursts. Surely this is a huge factor for Oats they have the arsenal to go fast in a variety of conditions.

Interesting to see that starting at about 3:46, it looks like you can see the centerline daggerboard that was added after she was converted from CBTF. This daggerboard was installed for light wind as it had a longer chord then the two angled deep boards further aft near the mast, giving better stall characteristics for slower speeds…It could be a visual trick, but it certainly looks like its down. I wonder why they'd choose that board in those conditions versus the leeward angled boat?

I just watched 3:45 to 6:15 and what I think youre seeing there CJS is water draining out of the trunk that board's in. I see lots of waterfalls but no board when I look to where that was located.

Interesting to see that starting at about 3:46, it looks like you can see the centerline daggerboard that was added after she was converted from CBTF. This daggerboard was installed for light wind as it had a longer chord then the two angled deep boards further aft near the mast, giving better stall characteristics for slower speeds…It could be a visual trick, but it certainly looks like its down. I wonder why they'd choose that board in those conditions versus the leeward angled boat?

The board forward and amidships are you referring to, Jack?

post-76289-0-75114800-1416202114_thumb.png

nah, he means the short board aft of the bow.

I had a look and agree - i rekn it's down - the leading edge is too sharp for it to be water falling

I had a look and agree - i rekn it's down - the leading edge is too sharp for it to be water falling

Makes no sense to have it down on that point of sail

Makes no sense to have it down on that point of sail

yeah i know but if it isn't down then they have nothing down... ( at 3.46 )

that don't make sense either... does it?

Why would you want anything down in those conditions. Less drag=more speed and depth.

There would be a hell of a lit of water been forced up into the case from each time the bow is in the water, which means a lot comes out once it is out of the water.

It is water coming out if the case, there is a shot from the bow at 4:16 where you can tell it's definitely fUlly up as the water falling out gets blown to leeward about 10degrees off vertical.

found this pic posted on instagram - it was taken on Sunday so they say... ?

either this is an old pic or it's Wild Oats X or they've done away with the DSS ?? - I can't see the holes for the foil ??

it looks like WOXI to me - can just make out the XI on the bow

anyone know anymore ??

post-54587-0-34337200-1416224748_thumb.jpg

I would say that's the case for the daggerboard rantifarian

I'd be surprised if they'd removed it? Looking at the footage in the Youtube link it was obviously deployed and working well. Unless the new bow eliminated the need but I can't see that either. I'm sure someone would now if that photo is new or old?

So they broke it and plugged the hole while they wait for a new one.? I assume the new one is on it's way and it will be there come the Hobart. May have to get 2 made..?

From FB today, Wild Oats will have a new livery in two days time.

I think the Instagram photo might be old, pre DSS.

Wild Oats version 12 will be unveiled in 2 days. Slightly different words. If I had to have a guess I'm tipping a new shaped DSS foil? Very convenient, out with the old in with the new? They use the word "Unveiled" meaning they are certainly about to show something off, this is my tip. Just a wild guess..? :wacko:

https://www.facebook.com/wildoatsXI

More updates and versions than Microsoft... :P:P:P

unlike the Oats boys to pull something out of their hat late November - just when everyone else is finishing their mods - can't wait to see what it is.

think you're onto it Terrafirma - it's gotta be a new version of the old foil - No way they would scrap that thing, it works like a charm in the raw footage.

2014 - New main, new foil, new cheque book... $$$$

BPV/Spindift 2 holds the 24hr record at 908nm. An average speed of 38 knots. The Atlantic record was also claimed at an average of 33 knots. Maxi-monos are pedestrian by comparison.

SO WHAT ?

this thread is about Maxi monos

BPV/Spindift 2 holds the 24hr record at 908nm. An average speed of 38 knots. The Atlantic record was also claimed at an average of 33 knots. Maxi-monos are pedestrian by comparison.

Fuck off

Fuck off

Damn, someone asked how the boat compares to the big multis compare to Wild Oats. Tractorbeam gave some data to frame the discussion. No need to be such a cunt.

Fuck off

Damn, someone asked how the boat compares to the big multis compare to Wild Oats. Tractorbeam gave some data to frame the discussion. No need to be such a cunt.

It just comes naturally to him

It depends on whether or not Wild Oats breaks,,,,,,

Wild Oats version 12 will be unveiled in 2 days. Slightly different words. If I had to have a guess I'm tipping a new shaped DSS foil? Very convenient, out with the old in with the new? They use the word "Unveiled" meaning they are certainly about to show something off, this is my tip. Just a wild guess..? :wacko:

https://www.facebook.com/wildoatsXI

More updates and versions than Microsoft... :P:P:P

bigger engine?

It depends on weather.....................................

Fixed it for you.

New paint job would be great. I guess this makes sense also given how long the current paint job has been on the boat and whilst elegant a little boring compared to Comanche for example. CLEAN baby and all you should be all over this..!

Have they still got the AC45? Or has it been shipped off to NZ or elsewhere to be turned into a foiler? (new paint job along those lines for WOXI would like fantastic).

Have they still got the AC45? Or has it been shipped off to NZ or elsewhere to be turned into a foiler? (new paint job along those lines for WOXI would like fantastic).

They had it out @ hammo race week. Id say they have all the foiling gear in the shed.

Yeah...a boat is getting a new paint job/livery, he should totally drop everything he's doing and get the scoop. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tongue in Cheek GF. For fucks sake read between the lines. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comanche says hello

Don't they need to sniff each others arse or something?

New paint job would be great. I guess this makes sense also given how long the current paint job has been on the boat and whilst elegant a little boring compared to Comanche for example. CLEAN baby and all you should be all over this..!

If you can convince my wife to let me go to Sydney despite the fact that I'm spending two weeks in cape town, two weeks in december in miami for M32 Worlds, two weeks in Melbourne right after the Hobart for the Moth Worlds with a direct flight to key west to go racing for a week afterwards, then...

na, fuck it. I'm staying home! Besides, my liver needs another 13 months to recover from that 40-hour Ritalin-fueled non-stop at the Customs House last December.

If you can convince my wife to let me go to Sydney despite the fact that I'm spending two weeks in cape town, two weeks in december in miami for M32 Worlds, two weeks in Melbourne right after the Hobart for the Moth Worlds with a direct flight to key west to go racing for a week afterwards, then...

na, fuck it. I'm staying home! Besides, my liver needs another 13 months to recover from that 40-hour Ritalin-fueled non-stop at the Customs House last December.

Take her with you!

Not only that, but they'd blow right through WOXI's lee as well. But what's your point exactly?
Good question. I was taking up what I interpreted to be Edouard's invitation in the original post to "troll the WOXI Fanbois" if I could use the colloquia of our times, although he obscured this objective somewhat by distracting us with the brilliant video. Then it took me two days to think whether I had any more useful point.

I know that English and French speaking worlds tend to maintain two solitudes, but I do think the developments in multihulls over the last few years in particular have really rendered large racing monohulls increasingly quaint if the idea is to actually go as fast as possible, as you might expect from a maxi class boat. I'm particularly curious about why John Clark built Comanche as a monohull if, as we have heard, the objective is to "go out and break records". I guess you can break monohull records but is this important? Certainly in America's Cup it was recognized that the genie had been let out of the bottle, and as we read on SA, it wasn't going to be much of a race if the boats were slower than some of the spectator fleet. There is a very long and contentious thread around here about whether multihulls should be in Sidney Hobart, and I'm not going to prematurely age myself by reading it (besides, I can never actually follow what our antipodean friends are ever actually arguing about) but it clearly strikes a nerve. I don't know whether they should or shouldn't but I do that in the context of why maxis are more relevant that modern J-Class yachts it's the sort of question that's going to be asked.

Monos and their records are relevant because most of us sail them. We sail them because they are practical, forgiving, cheaper to park, easier to cruise on, cheaper to build than upside down rafts. Amongst other things.

Monos and their records are relevant because most of us sail them. We sail them because they are practical, forgiving, cheaper to park, easier to cruise on, cheaper to build than upside down rafts. Amongst other things.

Nothing prettier than the lines of a nicely drawn mono.

Nothing prettier than the lines of a nicely drawn mono.

There's another reason. Not all of us want to just go fast.

Love how the Comanche thread has completely died now that folks have a new place to talk about Wild Oats

I love a good multi but they don't belong in this thread.

Trimarans and their three hulls belong in this thread as comparison as much as WOXI and its diesel powerplant belong in the Comanche thread.

Love how the Comanche thread has completely died now that folks have a new place to talk about Wild Oats

Mission accomplished :) Won't have to go through pages of WOXI stuff to find out if there is some news about Comanche.

I love a good multi but they don't belong in this thread.

Trimarans and their three hulls belong in this thread as comparison as much as WOXI and its diesel powerplant belong in the Comanche thread.

No they don't, are you special?