nroose

Drone anarchy

I am considering purchasing a remote control quad-coptor.

Does anyone have experience?

I will be using my credit card points. I could purchase any of the ones in this image:

https://www.shopprotocol.com/dronium-7-ch-surveillance-quad-copter.html

http://webrc.co/xdrone.html

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bebop-drone/

7WfVCeP.png

Any advice? The 3rd one is more expensive, but supports control by an iPhone or iPad, which I find appealing, but I don't know what the reality is. Is the more expensive one actually better? Is iPhone/iPad control actually better? Should I get a cheap one to start with anyway because I will probably destroy it before I manage to do anything good with it?

Thanks!

"No Shipping Required" -- It flies itself to your address...... ?

Ha! You go to Best Buy and pick it up!

I had a DJI F450. That's where I'd start if I were you. I've currently got a F550 hexacopter, with fpv gear, osd, and a camera gimbal.

If you're new to these, I'd get a Hubsan X4 H107C to play with first. It's an amazing little machine for the price. You can get the quad copter, a crash kit full of spare parts, and lots of extra batteries for about $80.

I still fly my Hubsan more than my big drone because it's small enough to safely fly around in the house, and honestly, more fun.

dro9hsujsuulz07qsp2s.gif

I'm definitely up for getting my daughters to try to shoot my drone down with their nurf guns!

had one buzzing @ about 9' (3' over my head) Yesterday @ SDHD

I was wearing a ball cap think about if I want a GoPro or not ??

I Honestly feel a law should be put on the books that

while a drone invades your personal space you should be allowd to knock it down and keep it

Provided to don't violate any other laws in the process

So Toss yer cap into the MoFo = Bamm it's Yours

Snag it with a long Butterfly net = it's Yours

throw a fishing net or hit it with your garden hose stream = it's Yours

Jammers ain't legal yet but should be

Then how about an Attack drone dangling sum fishing line w lights weights to fly over and tangle a drone w auto releace

this ain't like your neighbors kat wondering by :angry:

Remember slot car tracks back in the 60's? Got pretty sophisticated there for a while. This looks like a revival of that sort of enthusiasm.

had one buzzing @ about 9' (3' over my head) Yesterday @ SDHD

I was wearing a ball cap think about if I want a GoPro or not ??

I Honestly feel a law should be put on the books that

while a drone invades your personal space you should be allowd to knock it down and keep it

Provided to don't violate any other laws in the process

So Toss yer cap into the MoFo = Bamm it's Yours

Snag it with a long Butterfly net = it's Yours

throw a fishing net or hit it with your garden hose stream = it's Yours

Jammers ain't legal yet but should be

Then how about an Attack drone dangling sum fishing line w lights weights to fly over and tangle a drone w auto releace

this ain't like your neighbors kat wondering by :angry:

I don't think there's anything stopping you from doing just that.

Any advice? The 3rd one is more expensive, but supports control by an iPhone or iPad, which I find appealing, but I don't know what the reality is. Is the more expensive one actually better? Is iPhone/iPad control actually better? Should I get a cheap one to start with anyway because I will probably destroy it before I manage to do anything good with it?

Thanks!

Thinking of doing same myself.

1. Bebop looks cool but don't think is officially released yet. Parrot have the AR 2 (+-$300) which is iPad controlled too. Camera is only 720 Bebop is supposed to be coming with flight controller which extends the range to a few hundred yards from just 150 ft.

I have been looking at the DJI F450 or the phantom vision2. H Life What is the image quality like on the F450? Like the idea of the extended flight time +-20 mins on the PV2

Another option would be the CX 20 (phantom knock off). which can be had fairly cheaply toss in a Nova gimbal +-$100 and a Sj4000 ($100 go pro clone) and you get a pretty nice rig.

H Hife..How important in the FPV capability for doing arial video/pictures?

Hoping for some Black friday/Cyber monday price reductions

Drones are fun and I enjoy watching the videos people make with them. Just be smart about how and where you use one. The FAA hasn't made up its mind about them but you can and will get in trouble if your toy enters restricted airspace etc.

Drones are fun and I enjoy watching the videos people make with them. Just be smart about how and where you use one. The FAA hasn't made up its mind about them but you can and will get in trouble if your toy enters restricted airspace etc.

San Diego Bay has it's Kill-Zones (unmarked)

fly your drone over the bay and help test Drone Counter-Mesures

You will NOT land one on NAVY Property !!

Jus Sayin ;)

H Hife..How important in the FPV capability for doing arial video/pictures?

Pretty important for getting the picture you want. My hex has two cameras. On strictly for flying and one mounted to a gimbal for getting video. I can switch between the two as needed

DJI Phantom 2v3 + Zenmuse H3-3D + Gopro 3 here.

Don't bother with the vision or vision+, people are pretty upset by the quality of the video vs the P2 + Gopros.

Some are already flying with Gopro4's and filming 4k.

I'll be adding FPV at some point. (mini iosd/immersion 5.8ghz/black pearl 7" screen)

Immersion makes some good stuff. It's all plug and play if you're an idiot like I am when it comes to that stuff.

DJI has a new quad out that looks pretty cool, the Inspire 1. I would wait a while though. DJI is pretty good at releasing stuff with a lot of bugs. It's not cheap, about $3k, but it looks like a pretty good value. Especially compared to the $10k you'd blow on a S1000, and you still have to put a SLR camera on it, add the fpv stuff, at least $500 in batteries, and fork out $600 for a transmitter to fly it.

Immersion + iOSD seems to be the way to go onboard the Phantoms. Live flight data is awesome.

And the Inspire1 and Phantoms aren't even the same market, but I don't see the Inspire1 doing very well considering they're doing the "built in camera" thing again. No upgrade paths are a bad idea.

Interesting that they release that when you can pretty much get the same performance by tossing a grand at a P2.

I still think the F450 and F550 are the way to go for camera platforms. I started with a F450, and sold it to a buddy not too long after I got it to get the 550.

I still need to get a Go-Pro for it, carbon props, and some bigger batteries. This thing will be lugging around probably 8-10,000 mah worth of batteries. Hoping for close to 20 minutes of flight time with that setup though. Next summmer I'd like to have it sorted out so I can hook up with some photographers and real estate agents.

10511236_10204121309944233_6263073273469

Just saw that someone is coming out with smaller drones that have face recognition software so you can just point it at someone and it will follow them(stalkers rejoice). Pretty interesting stuff and begs lots of questions, but cool. Imagine a world where everyone has a personal drone to take care of everything, paying for coffee, carrying your dry cleaning etc etc etc... following you around like a little puppy. Now go ahead and arm it... Makes for an interesting discussion....

Skynet is coming.

Can only hope.

And its not the drone that has the facial recognition, infact, you could do that now.

FPV feed into machine running software, software does its job, tells pilot if matched.

why the love for GoPro

is it the BlownOut Wide angle that makes 50' look like 500' ?

Much better cameras w 3" screen and Stereo mikes WiFi and all that for Much Cheaper

No housing requires

Skynet is coming.

Can only hope.

And its not the drone that has the facial recognition, infact, you could do that now.

FPV feed into machine running software, software does its job, tells pilot if matched.

thing is there is no pilot... just click and it goes...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/the-worlds-first-stalker-drone-could-be-upon-us-soon

why the love for GoPro

Much better cameras w 3" screen and Stereo mikes WiFi and all that for Much Cheaper

No housing requires

Proliferation and compatibility. When it comes to getting a gimbal for a multicopter, the best bang for the buck is the GoPro. After that you're looking at slr's starting around a grand for the camera and three grand for the gimbal.

why the love for GoPro

No housing requires

Proliferation and compatibility. When it comes to getting a gimbal for a multicopter, the best bang for the buck is the GoPro. After that you're looking at slr's starting around a grand for the camera and three grand for the gimbal.

Sooo What's wrong with this ?? http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-AW120.html

I've had one of these for quite a while and must say I'm impressed

I use it where and like others would use a GoPro

And where others would use a DSLR

And for recording Video in Low light where actual Sound is important

Still have to find a gimbal for it.

I'm not disagreeing with you aboutot better options being available, just in this particular niche, GoPro owns it

Nikon makes great cameras all up and down their line. It's not always about the features... GoPro has captured the imagination of so many adventurers. And done a great job marketing. And you gotta love the all American history of the GoPro Hero!

why the love for GoPro

No housing requires

Sooo What's wrong with this ?? http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-AW120.html

I've had one of these for quite a while and must say I'm impressed

I use it where and like others would use a GoPro

And where others would use a DSLR

And for recording Video in Low light where actual Sound is important

Horses for courses, thats completely useless for what you'd task a GoPro into.

Where you gonna mount that on a bike? Or howabout anything RC? How many dive mask mounts are there for that?

I don't think you quite understand the use of the GoPro.

I believe those Nikons have tripod mounts, so they can be mounted pretty easily with a well-chosen bolt. Much less proprietary than the GoPro mount, if not quite as easy to use for the casual user.

I love losing my privacy

More power to those who put cameras mounted to drones.

Everybody should have the power to look over their neighbor's fence

Also, I have seen images of many drones with GoPros mounted by a strap, rather than the regular GoPro case and mounting. A strap will strap around the waterproof Nikon just as easily as the GoPro.

By the way, I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black.

Also, I have seen images of many drones with GoPros mounted by a strap, rather than the regular GoPro case and mounting. A strap will strap around the waterproof Nikon just as easily as the GoPro.

213g for the coolpix vs 77ish grams for the gopro (bare) 125g with housing (which isn't used on nearly any drones)

Also dimensions, barely any affect to flight, and plenty of gimbals that it will mount to for under $400 when it comes to drones.

While your previous tripod mount bolt comment was admirable, it really doesn't fit given, yet again, the concept of the gopro. In the realm of strapping them to things that go fast, pretty sure you don't want just a measly plastic threaded bit holding it vs a housing that barely increases the dimensions.

A good friend that shoots action and properties out west used to strap a 5D to the belly of a 450 class heli. Ignoring the lack of FPV and size, he put it in a stream. $5000+ down the drain.

213g for the coolpix vs 77ish grams for the gopro (bare) 125g with housing (which isn't used on nearly any drones)

Also dimensions, barely any affect to flight, and plenty of gimbals that it will mount to for under $400 when it comes to drones.

While your previous tripod mount bolt comment was admirable, it really doesn't fit given, yet again, the concept of the gopro. In the realm of strapping them to things that go fast, pretty sure you don't want just a measly plastic threaded bit holding it vs a housing that barely increases the dimensions.

A good friend that shoots action and properties out west used to strap a 5D to the belly of a 450 class heli. Ignoring the lack of FPV and size, he put it in a stream. $5000+ down the drain.

And that sums it up perfectly. I use a GoPro because every gram of weight effects flight time, and because they've saturated the market. I've got mounts to use it on my drone, Jeep, diving, etc. parts are easy to find.

I wish there was a gimbal for the mobius camera. They're supposed to be quite a bit lighter than the GoPro

I didn't realize the weight of the coolpix

Forget about it , buy something for your boat , like a new sail .

I wish there was a gimbal for the mobius camera. They're supposed to be quite a bit lighter than the GoPro

The issue with the knockoffs is they're bizzarely shaped. Just looked at the mobius, how would you mount that thing to stuff vs the little cube or cube housing the gopro has?

a drone/wing-suit is the only type use where that little weight makes enough difference

And there are Waaaaay more aerodynamic options out there

a GoPro is about as aerodynamic as a short skool-bus

a drone/wing-suit is the only type use where that little weight makes enough difference And there are Waaaaay more aerodynamic options out there a GoPro is about as aerodynamic as a short skool-bus

Yet nobody uses your awesome alternative like a coolpix. Funny that.

Getting back on topic, of those of you who already play with drones, I presume you started out buying a commercially available toy. As you progress are you still buying commercially available plug-and-play systems or are you moving more towards custom-built components and assembling everything from "scratch"?

I'm a tech idiot, so plug and play for me. If you completed more than 10th grade and did something with your life other than pick up a hammer you can do a lot more for a lot less money.

Well, I got a Protocol Dronium. Wanted something that would not take much time, but would be fun. And something that was available with my credit card points. I think in the end it will be more fun and less dollars for the time I have. Actually, I got 2. One for me, and one for my 17yo for his BDay. If I get hooked, eventually I will end up with something more DIY.

Thanks all!

Hard to believe none of you have mounted weapons. Come on now, fess up.

a drone/wing-suit is the only type use where that little weight makes enough difference

And there are Waaaaay more aerodynamic options out there

a GoPro is about as aerodynamic as a short skool-bus

The only aerodynamics that count on a quad are the props/rotors. Vertical flight is all about power vs. weight.

This sounds like a fun bunch of geeks!

Rule 1. Tell Everyone About Flight Club
Every Friday night we would meet up with other robot makers, inventors and engineers in a top secret location in the Bay Area and show off our latest robotic creations. It wasn't long before we began pitting our machines against each other in thunderdome style battles. Thus was born Flight Club

The rules were simple to learn, but difficult to master...

A) Two drones enter the arena. Last one flying wins.
B) If both drones crash, the first one back in the air wins.

Getting back on topic, of those of you who already play with drones, I presume you started out buying a commercially available toy. As you progress are you still buying commercially available plug-and-play systems or are you moving more towards custom-built components and assembling everything from "scratch"?

I'm sticking with the Phantom platform and adding FPV. Not exactly "toy" given what they cost up front though, but I come from an RC background (planes and sailboats)

Ended up pulling trigger on Parrot Bebop. DJI stuff while awesome was a bit too "pro" for me as a newbie.

So far so good image/video quality is awesome even when drone is bouncing all over the sky in some breeze.(10 -15knts)

The video quality (to my untrained eye) is as good as anything I have seen from the go-pros with gimbals. Composition leaves a little to be desired though :-)

Pretty easy to fly even for a complete noob.

GoPro throwing their hat in the drone market.

Probably DJI based.

It was only a matter of time, their cameras are the default choice when it comes to a lightweight, robust system mounted to a drone. They just have somebody build the drone, attach the camera and poof, new product!

I agree - I would start with a cheap Hubsan, for maybe 80 bucks.

But the DJI phantom is nice because it has the GPS lock on it, so the drone can stand perfectly still - even in a stiff breeze.

I have been flying my DJI Phantom from the deck of my boat, while my boat is at rest on anchor.

However, I would like to go sailing with the drone and capture images from the drone. Who doesn't want that glory shot of your boat heeled over.

But I am also not sure if the drone will be easy to retrieve from the deck of a moving boat...

Has anyone tried this? Any recommendations?

It looks like the 'return to home' GPS signal updates every few seconds. So, in theory even if connection is lost, it should return to the boat...

Also, any thoughts on whether the VHF frequency of a boat would interfere with the controller to drone communication?

thanks -

I have been flying my DJI Phantom from the deck of my boat, while my boat is at rest on anchor.

However, I would like to go sailing with the drone and capture images from the drone. Who doesn't want that glory shot of your boat heeled over.

But I am also not sure if the drone will be easy to retrieve from the deck of a moving boat...

It looks like the 'return to home' GPS signal updates every few seconds. So, in theory even if connection is lost, it should return to the boat...

Also, any thoughts on whether the VHF frequency of a boat would interfere with the controller to drone communication?

thanks -

The return to home function works off of where it got a GPS lock. If the boat is no longer in that spot, it will drop itself in the drink.

No, I don't think vhf will interfere, your microwave might though. The radio is on 2.4Ghz.

There was one hovering over my back yard last week. I hit it with a straight stream from my garden hose. It went down a couple yards away......hard. Haven't seen it since.

You should take some measures to make sure it doesn't happen again like kill, chop up, and bury the owner in your back yard.

With a bit of searching around one can find a lot of quad copters with built-in cameras, from the cheap (relative) end of the spectrum with the Hubsan H107D all the way to the 4-figure set-ups from a number of manufacturers. Does anyone have experience with the difference? With camera sensors being cheap these days, where is the extra money going? Better control? Ability to control camera? What are important features in a photo drone and which are just a nice added bonus?

I've been looking around, I've been reading on all sorts of topics, but it's always nice to hear it from people who have hands-on experience.

With a bit of searching around one can find a lot of quad copters with built-in cameras, from the cheap (relative) end of the spectrum with the Hubsan H107D all the way to the 4-figure set-ups from a number of manufacturers. Does anyone have experience with the difference? With camera sensors being cheap these days, where is the extra money going? Better control? Ability to control camera? What are important features in a photo drone and which are just a nice added bonus?

I've been looking around, I've been reading on all sorts of topics, but it's always nice to hear it from people who have hands-on experience.

There are several aspects of improvements that can result in widely differing price points. Mainly they are:

FPV/Video Downlink - First Person Video - the ability to wireless stream video off of your quad to goggles or your phone/tablet/etc

Flight Controller - Various flight controllers add GPS, Waypoint Following, Pressure Altimeter, Return to Home, Auto Landing, and other functions. The more functions the more price

Gimbal - The ability to smoothly control the orientation of your on-board camera

Rotors - They start as small as Tri-rotors and go all the way up to 8 Rotors. More motors mean greater lift capability for a given size

Others - Bluetooth connectivity, retractable landing gear, telemetry link

MS

You should take some measures to make sure it doesn't happen again like kill, chop up, and bury the owner in your back yard.

That's a lot of work.

It all depends on what you want it to do. If you just want a birds eye view, and you don't have much background in RC stuff, get something that flies straight out of the box and pairs up with a phone via wi-fi like a Parrot. If you're looking to do professional photography with it you're going to drop close to $20k for everything having a frame that'll lift a SLR and enough battery juice to start your car, then you've got ground stations, which you can spend quite a bit on if you want to get fancy or get range more than a mile.

I've got about $2k into my hexcopter with the fpv stuff and a Go-Pro, not including a $600 radio. I use the same radio on all my planes though, so I don't really count that. I've got an on screen display, a sort of HUD that shows a ton of information. Heading, GPS satellite count, where home is, speed, pitch, roll, altitude, an artificial horizon, battery voltage, etc. With the OSD that I have, I can switch between the fixed mount main flight camera, and the Go-Pro which is mounted on a 3 axis gimbal, plus control the pitch of the Go-Pro. The gimbal is what really gives you that smooth footage. The multirotor can pitch and roll all over the place and the frame stays pretty still. For the fpv end of things, I'm using the basic Fatshark setup with goggles that runs on 5.8ghz so it won't interfere with the radio. 5.8 isn't great for range, I'm using a 200mw transmitter and with good antennas I can maybe get a mile on the right day from what I've read. I haven't ventured out that far though. I've also got a carbon retractable landing skid.

Its a step up from a Phantom in the DJI line, but it is far from professional grade. It'll stay in the air about 15 minutes with two 4000mah, 4S batteries.

The flight controllers have gotten really fancy in the last few years. Even on fixed wing stuff you can set it up so if something goes wrong with your transmitter or your video feed, it will return to "home", (wherever it got its fix lock at), and just loiter at a whatever altitude you set it up at. That's pretty fucking cool, and huge if you're not overly fond of your expensive toy just auguring in because something went to hell. It's not fool proof, but does add a level of redundancy to things. It won't land itself like it will a multi rotor either, but once you run out of juice or fuel, the damage won't be as catastrophic if its a good design and is balanced well.

The AMA and the FAA just need to come out with guidelines that make sense.

1. Stay the fuck away from real airplanes.

2. Don't piss people off.

That's a lot of work.

:D

I'm sorry, I'd be pissed if that were mine. But, on the flip side, I wouldn't be buzzing around a strangers back yard either. My shit costs too much, or rather in comparison to what I make, it costs too much to risk losing it.

That's a lot of work.

:D

I'm sorry, I'd be pissed if that were mine. But, on the flip side, I wouldn't be buzzing around a strangers back yard either. My shit costs too much, or rather in comparison to what I make, it costs too much to risk losing it.

I understand and don't disagree with you. Hopefully more people exhibit your judgement than the other behavior. I have no expectation of privacy in public places but I'd rather not be filmed without my permission in my backyard. This drone operator was flying slowly along backyard fence from house to house, pausing at each (I didn't know they could be controlled from such a distance) to look? It was low enough I could hit it with a garden hose.

It is an interesting set of issues related to privacy. I wonder how many drone operators would object if the drone were a NSA drone hovering line of sight over their backyard into their house but don't flinch at doing it themselves.

What's happened to this place? People start talking about "Techy things" and forget about tits etc.?

Anyways, the problem you are going to run into is although the GPS updates every few seconds, the AP/OS still has to contend with absolutely nasty wind turbulence around your boat when it's underway and may not be able to compensate quickly enough. I've crashed enough of them through testing this to know.

I recommend a nice big powerboat with a huge foredeck to launch and recover. With anything that flies it's all about apparent wind, reduce it as much as possible for recovery, and minimize possible turbulence from anywhere. That's also why you're having such reasonable success while at anchor.

Your VHF won't interfere, but if you're really worried use a handheld on low power (local). But do not use HF if you have it. Bad...very very bad...

thanks -

There was one hovering over my back yard last week. I hit it with a straight stream from my garden hose. It went down a couple yards away......hard. Haven't seen it since.

Was it an actual Drone w camera streaming to homeland security, or was it some 12 yo kid just screwing around...?? I ask as I used to fly helos in my back yard at that age and that is an expensive dick move if the later..... I agree they should not be taking pics of private citizens or the like, but unless it was happening all the time or you were doing something nefarious, you just squished a kids interest and he is gonna go back to video games......

Was it an actual Drone w camera streaming to homeland security, or was it some 12 yo kid just screwing around...?? I ask as I used to fly helos in my back yard at that age and that is an expensive dick move if the later..... I agree they should not be taking pics of private citizens or the like, but unless it was happening all the time or you were doing something nefarious, you just squished a kids interest and he is gonna go back to video games......

Flying in your back yard is fine. Flying in my back yard is not. Age isn't a factor. I suppose if I knew the drone was a neighbor kid, I'd chat with his parents first. Hopefully his parents would have the sense to take him to a public area suitable for flying a drone and not a close neighborhood of beach houses.

And whether he goes back to video games is his parents issue to manage, not mine to endure. My kids played some video games, they also swam, surfed, skated, played soccer and a million other things. All without drones.

No beef here on your kids or whatever break. Just pointing something out. If, as you say, it was going along the fence line and hovering at various yards, good show, but maybe some investigation into whose it was and what the dealio was before nuking it may have been in order.

Just sayin....

This places come off more and more each day like The Hull Truth.

Anyhow, a ruling came down. To shoot commercially with a drone, you need a commercial pilots license.

And real heli pilots everywhere rejoiced.

Anyhow, a ruling came down. To shoot commercially with a drone, you need a commercial pilots license.

All that is still in flux. There's still no rules (there never has been), and there's no enforcing agency. Basically the FAA has defined what everyone considers a toy, to be an actual aircraft. Kinda tough in my eye to lump a 747 carrying 500+ people to something that doesn't carry people, and can be picked up by one person.

The shitty thing about that, is anyone who flies RC stuff for a living or profits from it, is doing so commercially. That means there can be no testing by the manufactures of any equipment in the USA, because that is for profit. People participating in contests where there is a cash prize are making a profit, and then there's those who do video and photography with an RC whatever for profit. All shut down if that ruling holds. Something I saw brought up on a RC forum, anyone who has video on YouTube and is collecting a $.12 check every month for advertising will now be a criminal. That includes me. And you still left out the important safety factor, those in the know, aren't the ones doing it for shits and giggles. They aren't going to risk their spendy tool. The guys who buy a whatever quadcopter and think it'd be awesome to fly it in controlled airspace and end up downing an airliner are the problem. And you can't control that. Stupid happens no matter what. Just like crime happens, no matter what.

DJI has it right as far as i've read. With their flight software, none of their ready to fly birds will power up inside certain ranges of airports.

Also I'm officially breaking the law. Just got the onboard FPV components (iosd/immersion tx)

No beef here on your kids or whatever break. Just pointing something out. If, as you say, it was going along the fence line and hovering at various yards, good show, but maybe some investigation into whose it was and what the dealio was before nuking it may have been in order.

Just sayin....

Fair enough. I suppose in a more patient moment I might have gotten in my car and drove around the neighborhood looking for some guy with a remote in his hand hoping he would be in his front yard to explain my view of his incursion into people's and my privacy and hope his reaction would be "oh sorry, I didn't think of that". But it wasn't one of those patient moments.

I was thinking more along the lines of looking at the thing after you nuked it and then gone and booted the guy in the nutz if there were any incriminating markings etc... ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of looking at the thing after you nuked it and then gone and booted the guy in the nutz if there were any incriminating markings etc... ;)

:lol:

I considered a version of that but it spun in a couple back yards away.

Too much work................and if Mrs. PB knew I had a less than patient moment with it she'd have given me one of those looks............

No vid of the look?? Figured the drone would have gotten some and posted it.... :lol:

No vid of the look?? Figured the drone would have gotten some and posted it.... :lol:

Oh we all know the look. It's universal...........happens right after I do something that I think is hugely funny..........

I have a few little toy quads that are great fun and I'm building a bigger quad now. It is based on a $15 frame alien x frame from ebay. I had the fc and rc gear so I just needed the escs, motors and props.

I think I finally got multiwii configured correctly after a lot of reading. Hopefully I can get everything mounted and try flying it this weekend.

My motivation is to try out fpv flying. I agree with the comment about mounting a mobius. The odd shape makes it tough to mount but it seems like the fpc camera of choice.

What are you guys watching the fpv on? Headset? Monitor?

I use goggles. I'd like to switch to a monitor. I just haven't bought anything yet

wow, that sucker isn't cheap at $230! that price is pretty absurd considering you can buy a 32" tv for less.

hatin:

what don't out like about the goggles?

considering its a combo of a screen AND diversity receiver, not so bad.

hatin:

what don't out like about the goggles?

Tough to look up and see what's going on if need be. That's the only reason. I like the goggles because you aren't easily distracted though. Not as a big deal on a multi rotor, but likely catastrophic on a flying wing doing something low, fast, and stupid. There's pro's and cons either way. Just depends on what you're doing. If I were using my hex for wedding photos or something similar, I'd want the monitor just for situational awareness.

The monitors with built in receivers, I think the receivers can be better quality too, and some have automatic switching between a couple of antennas. Some monitors are tough to see in bright light without some sort of shade as well. Most have a video out, so you can use the monitor with the headset as well. Which is nice for people around you to see what you are seeing.

diversity receivers = auto switch between antennas.

Got my display. Fully rigged up. Hooray FPV!

nice!

I got the fc pretty much all setup. I just need to setup the failsafe and test it out. I had to print up a mounting holder for the gps antenna and some spacers for the props which I finally got finished this morning.

All that is left is to balance the props and mount the electronics. hopefully tonight...

as for fpv, my plan is to strap one of my spare android phones and stream the video via wifi to a tablet on the ground. I know this is a far from ideal setup, but I have all of this equipment and I just want to see if it is worth the expense to go fpv since this is mostly just for fun.

I need a controller mount. Anyone have a 3D printer? I know there's a ton of plans out there. :D

For mounting the screen to the transmitter?

And that sucks. I've been very interested in getting one to do crop and herd checks. Now I can't.

And that sucks. I've been very interested in getting one to do crop and herd checks. Now I can't.

If you weren't 5hrs away, I'd still do it for you.

A buddy and I are talking about building a gas powered plane specifically for doing crop surveys. Something that can cover every square inch of a couple sections in high definition and in one launch easily.

There's a company semi locally that's designing cameras and software small enough to do it from a sUAS, that pick up diseases before you can see them with your eye. Cool shit, and I see potential for a possible career shift.

For mounting the screen to the transmitter?

Yep. Kind of a pain putting it on a tripod or having a helper carry it.

http://www.raveaerialvideo.com/product/dji-monitor-mount/

Saw the plans for that somewhere, can't find em now.

austin: i'd still do it, the ruling isn't set in stone yet, and i can't see all the drone companies and companies using them standing for that crap.