Bull City

H-Boat Renovation Project

It really would set off the gold curtains. :)

My vote would be a platinum silver that goes with the cabin top colour and ss rigging. edit

That's kind of like painting a silver pin stripe on your car to match the bumpers isn't it?

If you do the cove with metallic gold paint, your name and hailing port will also have to be gold leaf. This is a slippery slope. I'm cheap, so I would use a striping tape to match the vinyl name.

Horse, you're right. Ish, you're right. Patsy, you're right. This is driving me mad. Where is Bob Perry when you need him?

There is something elegant about just 2 colours..

But just look at the gold cove and name on a blue hull

post-95343-0-84338400-1423968103_thumb.jpg

Alright I yield, go for the gold. It will match the buttons on your blue blazer. Just, for God's sake, no pink pants, no flag belts!

Or Boy Admiral caps.

Alright I yield, go for the gold. It will match the buttons on your blue blazer. Just, for God's sake, no pink pants, no flag belts!

Or Boy Admiral caps.

It appears that there is a conspiracy to turn Bull's gorgeous Scandinavian H-Boat into an east coast blazer-wearer's accessory.

Beware. An IKEA hit squad may come and get you all ;)

Cove Stripe Manifesto

For me the question of whether to go with a gold cove stripe hinges on whether it would be over the top for this boat. Answering that question is like reefing: If you're wondering whether you should reef, you probably should. So if I'm wondering whether a gold cove stripe (and name, and numbers) will "tart up" the boat, then it probably will.

So, I'm going to stick with the Oyster. I think it will look very nice, and won't steal the show from the blue. If I really get the gold fever, I can always change it with gold striping tape, gold paint, gold leaf, and peel off the vinyl letters and numbers and replace them with the same thing.

Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions.

Maybe I should name the boat Tart.

Wise choice of cove stripe colour, Bull. Unless you're a gangsta, less is more :)

But you can't call the boat Tart. It's Finnish. Needs a Finnish name. "Hutsu" is the direct translation. Or you could play a word game, and use the Finnish translation of another meaning of tart, such as "Torttu", or "Hapan".

Thanks for supporting the Oyster choice. Happily, it can be changed.

Two boat name requirements are that I don't have to spell it, unless to a mouth-breather, and that I don't have to explain it, unless to a mouth-breather.

What's wrong with Floozie?

A little long for the transom, plus it doesn't have the ambiguity of "Tart," which could be a pastry

What's a "flag belt"? Or was that a typo?

I have a flag belt, I'm actually quite fond of it.

Nautical_flag_belt_selection_for_men_Ski

Might the typo have been the "l" in flag?

Flag belts can be used to great effect when combined with said blue blazer as well as seersucker, madras, anything embroidered, particularly if irreverent like little horse's asses, although little duck heads will do in a pinch, and the appropriate cocktail.

Swing a cat and hit 10 of them in most east coast yacht clubs.

NTTAWWT

To tell the truth, for once, I didn't want a gold cove stripe to distract from my outfit.

It's you boat and as long as you like it, you've chosen the right color. Cheers and I'll take one of those belts.

My gold stripes are starting to show signs of age. I remember going to retrieve it from the factory and selling it as a new boat. Doesn't seem that long ago, but it was 2005 and ten years will mess up that shiny gold tape stuff.

This pic is a few years old. The reflection in the hull is Libby playing with neighbor-dog Gator. Gator got into a water moccasin nest and was killed. We miss him.

poliglowshinebow-lg.jpg

Flag belts can be used to great effect when combined with said blue blazer as well as seersucker, madras, anything embroidered, particularly if irreverent like little horse's asses, although little duck heads will do in a pinch, and the appropriate cocktail.

NTTAWWT

Our crew uniform is "bad Hawaiin prints" to help cancel out the blazer stigma.

NTTAWWT

What would the crew of a Scandinavian design wear? Helmets with horns? IKEA aprons?

You need the beard to go with the helmet. If I remember the movie, the helmet is half of the breast plate of his dearly departed wife.

1397119090564-bi-kip-luyen-rong-2-how-to

NTTAWWT

What would the crew of a Scandinavian design wear? Helmets with horns? IKEA aprons?

I Googled "Finland Fashion" and this came up. Doesn't look very warm.

537.jpg

Sweden! The only place in the world where you can actually get tired of blondes!

Oh, and the "flag belt" is disappointing, too! Just doing the alphabet instead of... umm, spelling something creative.

as a Finn by marriage, I have to clarify that Finns are not Scandinavian. They're Nordic.

And one should never, ever google Finland Fashion.

Google Finnish Fashion, that's different.

jarmusch_tshirt_by_freeman.jpg

Swedish bikini team.

sbt11.jpg

This not only gets my vote, it reminds me of a fellow named Marty, who was a fellow member of the Coconut Grove Sailing Club in Miami in the 1970s. Marty was in his 70s,or 80s. He was Scandinavian or Nordic and sailed a 27 to 27 foot boat. I don't remember the boat, but he always, I mean always, had a crew of two or three good looking young women, blondes as I recall, who wore string bikinis. He was the happiest man alive. Must have been the Swedish meatballs.

as a Finn by marriage, I have to clarify that Finns are not Scandinavian. They're Nordic.

jarmusch_tshirt_by_freeman.jpg

What is the difference?

The weather has been awful, will continue to be awful, and this means the lack of progress on painting will continue. Once the painting is finished, there will be a flurry of activity, but until then, there's not much that can be done. Speaking of flurries, we are expecting 4 to 8" tonight.

The boat yard owner sent me a photo this morning. It was great to get this on a rainy, dreary morning. He tells me that they are taped and ready to paint the deck and stripes, just waiting for a warmer day, which we may have this week. Fortunately, forecasts change.

IMG 0699

The boat yard owner sent me a photo this morning. It was great to get this on a rainy, dreary morning. He tells me that they are taped and ready to paint the deck and stripes, just waiting for a warmer day, which we may have this week. Fortunately, forecasts change.

Preparation H?

Painting of deck and cove & boot stripes to happen tomorrow. Winter weather has really set back our progress.

Are the handrails in an area that isn't being painted? Otherwise seems odd to leave them on.

They are covered in tape, and gray primer. Soon they will be covered in Oyster White, eventually in Cetol.

The deck and stripes got their paint yesterday. Here are a couple of pics. I'm happy!

The last bit of painting is the non-skid. The first weather window for that looks like Sunday.

post-54228-0-41725900-1425938597_thumb.jpg

post-54228-0-47688500-1425938627_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice. What colour antifoul are you going for (apologies if I missed it)?

There's one in my neck of the woods (as well as a few Nordic Folkboats) and they both look good and go well.

I'm thinking about green, similar to what is on there now. My wife likes red, but is not insistent.

Opinions are solicited.

Orange is fast...................

I heard that, but the choices are green or red. <_<

Orange is fast...................

I heard that, but the choices are green or red. <_<

Red on port, green on starboard.

Lookin' good Bull. Paint the bottom the colour your wife wants - you hardly ever see it and getting her way will make her happy.

They did a nice job priming the coves - when does the gold leaf go on? :P;)

Thank you all for the compliments, encouragement, and suggestions. We've got some time to decide on the bottom paint, but I'm still leaning toward the green. Lots to do after the paint cures.

We removed almost all of the deck hardware. It had to be rationalized. I think Northern European one design racers like having a plethora of control lines. There were many, many cam cleats. We could not figure out what some of them were for. I'm not a great fan of cam cleats, particularly for sheets and halyards that are coming off a winch. I prefer horn cleats. So we took them all off and plugged the holes. We'll start from scratch. I still have four of those winches with built-in bottom of drum handles!! :D

The other projects are putting the cabin back together, Cetoling the exterior teak, installing some new running rigging, more cleaning. I'm hoping we can get her launched in mid-April.

Horn cleats are slow man. They snag horribly - sheets and shorts. And another vote for green.

I think horn cleats are the best. You can control a line under load much better than with a cam cleat. Cam cleats can break or wear out. Not horn cleats. Don't get me wrong, cam cleats have their place, but on my H-Boat, there were way too many, and they are old. Places I will use them: spinnaker pole lift and down haul, cunningham, reef lines, twings, jib furling line, vang, main sheet, back stay adjuster.

I would not put cam cleats on halyards on a cruising boat.

I'll probably use one on the spinnaker halyard, but not on anything from a winch.

I talked with the boat yard owner (BYO) today regarding the port lights (windows?). We both liked the looks of the the split lights rather than the long continuous light. The old look looks, well, old or dated, while the split light looks more classic.

old look:

IMG 1487

split light:

image1

I like the split window look too. That is one sweet looking boat. . Great job Bull.

The deck and stripes got their paint yesterday. Here are a couple of pics. I'm happy!

The last bit of painting is the non-skid. The first weather window for that looks like Sunday.

attachicon.gifIMG_3247.jpg

Very very tasty, is awlgrip easy to maintain and patch up?

This is my first experience with Awlgrip. I think it is easy to maintain. The manufacturer cautions against wax and recommends their washing product called, Awlwash of course, and a protective coating product called Awl-something.

From what I hear, touching up and patching are a challenge.

I have never had such a shiny boat. I am going to have to try very hard to be relaxed while people walk on the boat, while things get dropped, and while racing.

Awlgrip is kinda funny stuff, but in my experience it wears like cast iron so repairs should be infrequent - as long as you don't ding the boat in the next slip over the on your first sail...don't ask...

Thanks to all of you for the nice words on the boat. I'm really excited about it. I hope we'll have her in the water by mid-April. We've had a pretty shitty winter. It has really slowed things down.

The interior should be pretty spiffy too. I'll post some pics as it comes together.

Awlgrip is kinda funny stuff, but in my experience it wears like cast iron so repairs should be infrequent - as long as you don't ding the boat in the next slip over the on your first sail...don't ask...

That sounds like a good story. Care to share?

Perform John Vigor's scratching ceremony and the first ding won't feel so bad.

I have a morbid curiosity. What is this ceremony?

That sounds like a good story. Care to share?

Perform John Vigor's scratching ceremony and the first ding won't feel so bad.

I have a morbid curiosity. What is this ceremony?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=John+Vigor+scratching+ceremony

Thanks to all of you for the nice words on the boat. I'm really excited about it. I hope we'll have her in the water by mid-April. We've had a pretty shitty winter. It has really slowed things down.

The interior should be pretty spiffy too. I'll post some pics as it comes together.

Awlgrip is just a well-advertised 2-part polyurethane. It's great stuff, very hard and impervious surface. Because it is not very porous, it doesn't hold wax very well and waxing it does not make it look any better. IIRC there are silicone-based surfacing agents that work well but it doesn't really need it.

FB- Doug

On the Awlgrip, I've got some fenders permanently mounted on my slip (floating dock) so that I don't have to hang them from the boat. They are standard white fender stuff. Someone said I should cover them with fleece so as not to mar the Awlgrip. What do you all think?

Either but keep them clean - grit is the problem.

Best thing I have ever found for cleaning vinyl (standard white fender stuff) is MEK - Methyl Ethyl Ketone solvent. Nasty stuff but a cloth dampened with it will simply wipe off virtually any sort of stain or grime on vinyl. A wipe after with Armor-All or similar will keep them looking near new.

Best thing I have ever found for cleaning vinyl (standard white fender stuff) is MEK - Methyl Ethyl Ketone solvent. Nasty stuff but a cloth dampened with it will simply wipe off virtually any sort of stain or grime on vinyl. A wipe after with Armor-All or similar will keep them looking near new.

Armor-All is evil. It's a pretty good midgrade vinyl destroyer. It really buggers up the plasticizers in most plastics and will at least mildly degrade the others. Just set stuff on fire, it's faster.

Is that the same as polyester catalyst, MEKP?

Never mind, google answered me, it is the precursor to MEKP. Sounds like ugly stuff

Armor-All is evil. It's a pretty good midgrade vinyl destroyer. It really buggers up the plasticizers in most plastics and will at least mildly degrade the others. Just set stuff on fire, it's faster.

??? It is a vinyl conditioner - that is pretty well its raison d'etre. IIRC it is full of silicone.

I've used it for years inside & out on cars, boats & garden furniture and never had any sort of problem with it.

And Rant - indeed it is - use it outdoors and keep it downwind. It has a nasty ammoniac quality about it that will practically close up your throat but it does wonders in certain situations so it has become my solvent of last resort. Use chemical resistant gloves as well, not disposables.

This is my first experience with Awlgrip. I think it is easy to maintain. The manufacturer cautions against wax and recommends their washing product called, Awlwash of course, and a protective coating product called Awl-something.

From what I hear, touching up and patching are a challenge.

I have never had such a shiny boat. I am going to have to try very hard to be relaxed while people walk on the boat, while things get dropped, and while racing.

Thanx for reply Bull, will be painting mine at some point, the reason for the question is i'm told Awlgrip is the mutts nuts but i understand you cant do alot with it once out the gun. Currently seeking opinions on the matter locally and a few have suggested plain old 2K car paint and then shoot a decent UV clearcoat over the top which seems altogether alot cheaper plus it can be mopped / fettled / patched more easily.

I guess thats the downside of painting grp is the permanant fear of a noticable scratch; for that reason i've even looked into vinyl wrapping mine and treating it like a service item.

cheers

??? It is a vinyl conditioner - that is pretty well its raison d'etre. IIRC it is full of silicone.

I've used it for years inside & out on cars, boats & garden furniture and never had any sort of problem with it.

And Rant - indeed it is - use it outdoors and keep it downwind. It has a nasty ammoniac quality about it that will practically close up your throat but it does wonders in certain situations so it has become my solvent of last resort. Use chemical resistant gloves as well, not disposables.

It turned the back end of my first Celica into a pile of crazed plastic rubble. I won't touch the stuff.

We added 500 sq. ft. of dark brown glazed tile to the Ballard house years ago. Dark brown shiny tile. One day when no one was around I mopped the floor then has a brilliant idea, I'd wipe the tile down with ArmorAll. The entire floor.

You cannot imagine how slippery that was. I had to wash it off immediately.

A few years later I had a brain fart and did it again.

On the Awlgrip, I've got some fenders permanently mounted on my slip (floating dock) so that I don't have to hang them from the boat. They are standard white fender stuff. Someone said I should cover them with fleece so as not to mar the Awlgrip. What do you all think?

The best solution I've heard is to get a sheet of fleece and fasten it along the toe rail so that it is between the fenders and the hull. So long as you keep the same fleece side toward the hull you minimize grit. And easy to clean. I think this idea was in "This Old Boat", I read it somewhere. I keep my boat on a mooring though, so haven't felt the need to do so.

We added 500 sq. ft. of dark brown glazed tile to the Ballard house years ago. Dark brown shiny tile. One day when no one was around I mopped the floor then has a brilliant idea, I'd wipe the tile down with ArmorAll. The entire floor.

Soon you'll be able to hide your own Easter Eggs Man...

That sounds like one of the worst armour all ideas I have ever heard, right behind armour all on the steering wheel

Isn't Armour All what they wipe into your tires and dashboard at the car wash for an extra $5?