Bull City

H-Boat Renovation Project

Saturday is the final race of our Fall PHRF series. As described earlier, in the last race, we finished 3rd, but were DQ'd as a result of a grounding. I'll be more careful this time.

Last time the wind was barely more than a ghost. This time the forecast is a little better, 3 to 5 knots.

Sorry for quoting myself, but we finished third overall. We had a staggered start, based on PHRF, and we got a good one. Conditions were light, but a little better than last time. The course was a long windward leg, followed by long leeward leg. On the windward leg, I almost cut the corner where we grounded last time. Even though the lake level is higher, I resisted the temptation.

We were second around the mark. I crossed up some of the asymmetric spinnaker lines, so after our rounding, it took me a few minutes to sort it out. Unfortunately, two boats passed us during this period. Then the wind began to die. The time limit on the race was 1430, which is to say, the order of finish would be determined at that point. By about 1415, we had pulled even with the 3rd place boat. Around 1420, I noticed that while they were fiddling with sails and trying to gybe in ghosting conditions, a puff was approaching. At about 1425, the puff reached us and we pulled ahead and were in 3rd place when the race ended.

We sailed another good race. The boat performed really well. I need to go to spinnaker school.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you blokes.

Hi I hope you don't mind a newby but long time forum lurker posting in your thread, an Englishman at that.

The first boat with a lid that I bought was an H-Boat. It was 1979 and I saw an article in Yachting World which described the H-Boat as "The Gentleman's Cruiser Racer". There was a wonderful shot astern from the starboard quarter and I had to have one. I bought her later that year at the Southampton Boat Show.

I had many happy years with her but always wished that she had an inboard engine, the bracket for the outboard motor was sometime the source of not so nice language!

Anyway I thought that you would like to see these very old non digital photos.

One when she was brand new and still in wraps, a couple in a race in the English Channel and one in Bembridge Harbour on the Isle of Wight. The last one entering Poole Harbour England.

I now have a handsome Gaff Cutter based in Falmouth, England.

Regards, and happy sailing, Steve

73f88760c1b631afac955c404c1f12a8_zpszf72

39d2c26fcacb7f6e02893c69b8d5890d_zpsskkz

2bd4ce78e0d285c2e5efdde2dac08536_zps7yvn

532aa7a5ea0a105df0ff9baf53d8fb83_zpsi4ni

072dc64dce3ce71ba7601bd9d0d4dfad_zpsurjd

Steve,

Thanks ever so much for the post and for including those great photos. I agree with you on the inboard engine. I wish it had been in my budget. My boat had a bracket just like Hay Fever's when I bought her, but I removed it and went with one that pivots - better, but still results in some bad language. It is a shame to spoil such a pretty transom.

Do you recall where yours was built?

Bob

Isn't it time you put a nice little inboard in that boat? Gas, electric, methane, whatever. She doesn't need that wart.

It must have been fun unwrapping a brand new boat. For most of us of our first days of boat ownership involved trying to figure out how to get rid of all the left over junk and mold.

Steve,

Thanks ever so much for the post and for including those great photos. I agree with you on the inboard engine. I wish it had been in my budget. My boat had a bracket just like Hay Fever's when I bought her, but I removed it and went with one that pivots - better, but still results in some bad language. It is a shame to spoil such a pretty transom.

Do you recall where yours was built?

Bob

Hi Bob, I forgot to say that she was an Artekno boat. Artekno oy Finland. The other builder was Botnia. The Botnia boats didn't have the curve from the cabin to the cockpit. Your boat is probably an Artekno boat.

I ordered my boat with grey non slip decks. It made such a difference to reduce glare on a sunny day and it looked good to. They used grey resin, not paint, it was very smart.

It must have been fun unwrapping a brand new boat. For most of us of our first days of boat ownership involved trying to figure out how to get rid of all the left over junk and mold.

Well it was quite daunting. I was newly married and it took a lot of persuading to get permission to buy the boat. It was the most expensive thing I'd ever bought apart from the house and both had loans !

The little boy in the photos is now 34 and both he and his younger brother have no interest in sailing but they both love the sea, they Surf, Kayak and Spearfish.

My present and final boat was built for me, that was a lot of fun watching her take shape :)

My present and final boat was built for me, that was a lot of fun watching her take shape :)

Gaffer, if that avatar is a picture of your own boat, then you are very lucky to own something so gorgeous and fascinating. Please please could you post pictures and tell the story?

(A new thread would probably be best, to avoid hijacking he H-boat thread)

Gaffer, if that avatar is a picture of your own boat, then you are very lucky to own something so gorgeous and fascinating. Please please could you post pictures and tell the story?(A new thread would probably be best, to avoid hijacking he H-boat thread)

Yes it's my boat. I will try to put something together in a new post.

Bob's thread has brought back happy memories of my H-Boat, my present boat is so different though.

Hi again. I'm down on my boat and in the ship's library I have this article from Yachting Monthly Dec 1999 which I hope will be of interest. Copied as photos from my iPhone, hopefully you can zoom in to read more clearly.

89ec78e6c7002d62ca3c2f0cfbb18e72_zpsfnr3

788368b3f84b58607390b1ab73ebe231_zps2mln

9087512eb2ba76a118072f4d7bacdc84_zpsp2tj

5936f013e0ecc45db1962e41eb0629bd_zpsun59

I knew Tony as one of the H-Boat owners but have long since lost touch, though I see on the web that he still races an H-Boat in the JOG series.

Very enjoyable article. Thanks for digging it out and posting it.

Ordered a new jib yesterday! Hope to have it for first race in March.

Thanks Gaffer for the article (I've just discovered it now!) Do you know if the H-boat is still allowed to compete in the cross channel races?

Thanks Gaffer for the article (I've just discovered it now!) Do you know if the H-boat is still allowed to compete in the cross channel races?

Hi, sorry I can't help with that perhaps you can find some info here http://www.jog.org.uk/index.aspx

I'm based in Cornwall now, a long way from the Solent and its racing fraternity. I've seen a couple of H-Boats down here and they bring back fond memories of my first boat.

I saw one on the hard on Westlake Blvd Lake Union (Seattle) several years ago, don't know where it went. Very nice looking boat.

It would be nice to get in touch with the boats still in the US. How to do it?

Glad I found this thread....I own a (an?) H-Boat in Seattle! Bought from a broker that I sailed it with some 10 years before and have now owned it for 3 years racing and cruising around Seattle. Old skool..yes. Cramped..yes. Great weekender and racer for around here though. Mine is an 81 Artekno. Mine rates 177 PHRF as sailed with a genoa but I've gotten a class jib now and seems more balanced.

I have redone the electrical systems such that it is. New standing rigging from Fisheries Supply (thanks Pete!) and new North Sails. Gets lots of use.

Stefan

s/v SISU 1981 H Boat

Stefan,

Nice to hear from you. I just sent a PM.

BC

Hello all, I have been restoring an H-boat since March and have found several help things on this forum. My boat was sunk and then stored on a trailer for ~10 years before I bought it for the price of a dinghy. It is coming along and I plan to have it ready for the largest regatta in the US, the Dauphin Island Race, in April. I will post my progress.

rch701, Looks like the main bulkhead (the one that is under the mast step) is gone along with the interior cabinets. Are you going to replace them? Any soft spots in the hull?

OB motors are a pain in the ass. I did a lot of looking for a bracket that would work with this boat and motor, and settled on a Panther because it has enough vertical travel.

It's supposed to handle up to 10 HP or 80 pounds, so I assumed it would have adequate lift for a 28 pound motor. We installed it the other day. I put the 28 pound motor on today. The spring is totally inadequate. It provides maybe 3 or 4 pounds of lift. I have lodged a complaint with the manufacturer and have asked them to send me a spring that will provide adequate lift.

Update on OB motor bracket:

I didn't like this Panther bracket from the start. Since the May 2015 launching, I quickly grew to despise it. The spring broke and fell to the lake bottom. So Old Bull, had to raise and lower the motor with no spring assist - not good. In addition, the only thing holding the bracket in the "up" position, were a couple of clips that had a tendency to slip. When they slipped, the motor dropped with a thud.

I bought a Garelick-type bracket, and with some modifications, it will work from a vertical travel standpoint. The springs provide plenty of lift. The mounting hole pattern even matched the old bracket. I changed the brackets the other day.

OB motors are a pain in the ass. I did a lot of looking for a bracket that would work with this boat and motor, and settled on a Panther because it has enough vertical travel.

It's supposed to handle up to 10 HP or 80 pounds, so I assumed it would have adequate lift for a 28 pound motor. We installed it the other day. I put the 28 pound motor on today. The spring is totally inadequate. It provides maybe 3 or 4 pounds of lift. I have lodged a complaint with the manufacturer and have asked them to send me a spring that will provide adequate lift.

Update on OB motor bracket:

I didn't like this Panther bracket from the start. Since the May 2015 launching, I quickly grew to despise it. The spring broke and fell to the lake bottom. So Old Bull, had to raise and lower the motor with no spring assist - not good. In addition, the only thing holding the bracket in the "up" position, were a couple of clips that had a tendency to slip. When they slipped, the motor dropped with a thud.

I bought a Garelick-type bracket, and with some modifications, it will work from a vertical travel standpoint. The springs provide plenty of lift. The mounting hole pattern even matched the old bracket. I changed the brackets the other day.

They say electric inboards are getting better every year

:o

FB- Doug

Ocean Volt seems to have the electric motor thing pretty well nailed down. Their sail drive legs are very low drag.

Every small auxiliary sailboat with an outboard has been avowed to be my LAST one!

Oddly enough, I have a small outboard-powered runabout and it's a hoot. However it has always seemed that outboards on sailboats, and everything associated with them, are a total PITA. My next aux. sailboat -will- have a saildrive, either diesel or electric. I'm getting too spoiled to fiddle around with annoying crap and convince myself it's a necessary part of the fun.

Bull, your boat is sho' nuff pretty and a worthwhile project, it's been inspiring... but you got one last detail !!!

FB- Doug

Ocean Volt seems to have the electric motor thing pretty well nailed down. Their sail drive legs are very low drag.

Every small auxiliary sailboat with an outboard has been avowed to be my LAST one!

Oddly enough, I have a small outboard-powered runabout and it's a hoot. However it has always seemed that outboards on sailboats, and everything associated with them, are a total PITA. My next aux. sailboat -will- have a saildrive, either diesel or electric. I'm getting too spoiled to fiddle around with annoying crap and convince myself it's a necessary part of the fun.

Bull, your boat is sho' nuff pretty and a worthwhile project, it's been inspiring... but you got one last detail !!!

FB- Doug

The inboard? That's quite a detail!

I and a few friends have had a Elvstrøm h-boat from 1973 for 12 years now. It is time for a new main and jib, and instead of buying 2nd hand racing sailings as in the past we are considering buying new sailings in cruising quality seen we do not do class racing in it. I would like to have slugs in the main on the mast track instead of rope since it is more user friendly, but my friends are anxious about this solution since the track opening it is made for robe.

How have you solved this?

Skibber,

My H-Boat had a Harken mast track when I bought it, and I have kept it. I think it interferes with mast bending, but it works very well otherwise.

What you might try is fabricating an aluminum plate which you will bolt to the mast; it can be designed to close the opening and keep the slugs from falling out, but allow them to pass by, when you raise or lower the sail. I did this with my previous boat, a J22, and it worked very well. The J22 needed two plates, and I had to remove one in order to remove the sail.

If I remember correctly, the H-Boat will need just one plate, and it would have to be curved to match the mast.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

B.C.

Skibber,

My H-Boat had a Harken mast track when I bought it, and I have kept it. I think it interferes with mast bending, but it works very well otherwise.

What you might try is fabricating an aluminum plate which you will bolt to the mast; it can be designed to close the opening and keep the slugs from falling out, but allow them to pass by, when you raise or lower the sail. I did this with my previous boat, a J22, and it worked very well. The J22 needed two plates, and I had to remove one in order to remove the sail.

If I remember correctly, the H-Boat will need just one plate, and it would have to be curved to match the mast.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

B.C.

I made a slot gate for one of my Sharks out of epoxy, glass, and CF, cast right on the mast in plastic bags. Once it was trimmed, it worked great and fit perfectly.

I made one for my C&C 29-2 out of aluminum tile edge. http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/sailgate/sailgate.htm

sailgate02.jpg

Our C&C 35-3 came with a stainless gate that someone else fabricated, it works but is a little sloppy so slugs can get caught going up. Bigger slugs are in the works for the next main.

Rigrite has the gates for my Isomat mast. Not sure who made the masts for the H-boats but they may be a place to start if you don't want to DYI

NG51_mast.html_txt_Iso_NG1-9K.gif

A gate! That's the word I couldn't remember.

Mrs. Bull and I finally got around to our first over-night on TONIC. It was our first overnight on our own boat since the mid-1970s, when we would sail our 18' Alberg Typhoon from Coconut Grove down to the Upper Keys for long weekends. 

It was fun. We had good stuff to read, and were under the covers by 9 o'clock. It got down to the upper 40s, but we were prepared. We were a bit stiffer in the morning than we were in the 1970s, but sleeping was comfortable, and the boat felt very roomy by comparison. Hot coffee and bagels for breakfast were outstanding.

We're very happy with our choice.

Being boatless right now, I'm quite jealous, but well done Bull!

Right on.

It sounds like you were actually a bit cooler than up here on the Chesapeake. That's surprising. We're in for a bit of a warming trend, so get out there and do it again!

9 hours ago, Bull City said:

Mrs. Bull and I finally got around to our first over-night on TONIC. It was our first overnight on our own boat since the mid-1970s, when we would sail our 18' Alberg Typhoon from Coconut Grove down to the Upper Keys for long weekends. 

It was fun. We had good stuff to read, and were under the covers by 9 o'clock. It got down to the upper 40s, but we were prepared. We were a bit stiffer in the morning than we were in the 1970s, but sleeping was comfortable, and the boat felt very roomy by comparison. Hot coffee and bagels for breakfast were outstanding.

We're very happy with our choice.

That sounds awesome. Being able to get a hot cup of coffee or tea without getting out of your sleeping bag is a magnificent start. Helps limber up a little before crawling around, too.

The H-boat is a palace compared to a Typhoon. Good choice indeed.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The H-boat is a palace compared to a Typhoon. Good choice indeed.

Indeed.

We also remembered our "snug" cabin on the Maine schooner MERCANTILE few years ago: two single bunks, which overlapped, and a 3' X 3' area for standing. The cruise was great fun, and other than sleeping, we spent very little time in the cabin.

Last weekend it was time to put our boats on the hard. And you were not only out sailing but also spending the night - and came out with a smile.

Something is not fair.

//J

5 hours ago, Jaramaz said:

Last weekend it was time to put our boats on the hard. And you were not only out sailing but also spending the night - and came out with a smile.

Something is not fair.

//J

If you were to spend a summer in North Carolina, you wouldn't say that. 

It's been a long time since we corresponded about H-Boats,  Bull...I'm glad to see that you've got yours up and going.

My old one spent a decade with another poster in this thread, and now is sitting in a slip not far from where I live.  It's tempting to leave a note on the boat to the current owner "If you ever want to sell".....  Mine was an Artekno as well.

About two years ago an H-Boat appeared in our local Craigslist. I thought I knew all the local boats but this one was new to me. It was also an Artekno.   He wanted $1500 for it.  It had blisters but had been on the dry for over a year, so a good sanding and a barrier coat would have taken care of it.   I should have just bought it and told the Mrs. after-the-fact but I chickened out! LOL...  Now I have an S2 7.9, which I like a lot but the H-Boat still tugs at my heartstrings.  I loved everything about that boat except for deploying the outboard!

On 5/3/2016 at 8:44 PM, damstrom said:

Glad I found this thread....I own a (an?) H-Boat in Seattle! Bought from a broker that I sailed it with some 10 years before and have now owned it for 3 years racing and cruising around Seattle. Old skool..yes. Cramped..yes. Great weekender and racer for around here though. Mine is an 81 Artekno. Mine rates 177 PHRF as sailed with a genoa but I've gotten a class jib now and seems more balanced.

I have redone the electrical systems such that it is. New standing rigging from Fisheries Supply (thanks Pete!) and new North Sails. Gets lots of use.

Stefan

s/v SISU 1981 H Boat

I bet I saw your boat about 12 years ago. It was in a marina not far from Adobe headquarters. Looked good.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Alan H said:

I bet I saw your boat about 12 years ago. It was in a marina not far from Adobe headquarters. Looked good.

Yes it was parked along Westlake for a few years, then Bham, now Lake Washington.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 1:17 PM, Bull City said:

I haven't sailed one, but I have heard many good things about them. I'm really looking forward to the first sail.

I don't think there are very many in North America. I know of mine, another one in North Carolina, one that was in Georgia, and one in Nova Scotia. I heard that there are some in California. I gather that some were sold in the U.S. in the late 70s and early 80s, but they never really caught on.

Greetings... I just acquired an H-Boat and will restore it for this sailing season.  It has been on the hard for about 10 years, but in relatively good shape.  Very exciting, these things are in every nook and cranny in Northern Europe!  Over 5,000 Boats world wide!   Very stoked. 

D. Milnes

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:19 PM, Alan H said:

It's been a long time since we corresponded about H-Boats,  Bull...I'm glad to see that you've got yours up and going.

My old one spent a decade with another poster in this thread, and now is sitting in a slip not far from where I live.  It's tempting to leave a note on the boat to the current owner "If you ever want to sell".....  Mine was an Artekno as well.

About two years ago an H-Boat appeared in our local Craigslist. I thought I knew all the local boats but this one was new to me. It was also an Artekno.   He wanted $1500 for it.  It had blisters but had been on the dry for over a year, so a good sanding and a barrier coat would have taken care of it.   I should have just bought it and told the Mrs. after-the-fact but I chickened out! LOL...  Now I have an S2 7.9, which I like a lot but the H-Boat still tugs at my heartstrings.  I loved everything about that boat except for deploying the outboard!

I have an Artekno as well....#1371, 1984

There's one currently on Craigslist here in the SF  Bay Area. They want...***gasp, snorfff**  $15,000 for it. It's a non-profit trying to sell a donated boat.

H-Boats are wonderful One  Design racers, it's just that here in North America there isn't the critical mass for a One Design. However, they are good sailers, for their era. They're cheap to operate, easy to shorthand, great for overnight or two-night-cruising, and can handle some weather.

Loved mine... I wish I could buy one and stash it in storage for 2020 or 2022, when I'll probably sell the S2 7.9.

M

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, Jdmilnes2 said:

I have an Artekno as well....#1371, 1984

My brother just sold his S.2.....great boat.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, Jdmilnes2 said:

Greetings... I just acquired an H-Boat and will restore it for this sailing season.  It has been on the hard for about 10 years, but in relatively good shape.  Very exciting, these things are in every nook and cranny in Northern Europe!  Over 5,000 Boats world wide!   Very stoked. 

D. Milnes

D., congrats. Let's see some pictures. What's on your work list?

B.C.

16 hours ago, Bull City said:

D., congrats. Let's see some pictures. What's on your work list?

B.C.

Hey....I've enclosed a shot below of the boat before I wrapped it up for the winter.  Things on the list: redo woodwork (sand/varnish), strip bottom paint and apply new, replace running rigging, clean, wax polish, install some sort of electrical system for navigation lights etc.....that's a start.

Side View Small.jpg

This is by far the largest and longest-running H Boat interaction, ever, online in North America.  How many boats are represented?

I supposed that I will claim to "represent" my old boat, now in Redwood City, CA.  I know of four others in  Central California, though don't know exactly where they are any more.

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

This is by far the largest and longest-running H Boat interaction, ever, online in North America.  How many boats are represented?

I supposed that I will claim to "represent" my old boat, now in Redwood City, CA.  I know of four others in  Central California, though don't know exactly where they are any more.

Let's see... we got the following:

Bull City        North Carolina

D. Milne        New Jersey

Damstrom    Seattle

Rch701         Mobile

Alan H           SF Bay (I know you're going to get one!)

Let's start a club!

Ha! 2018 North American Championships on Lake Eufala in Oklahoma, approximately equal long-distance drives for everybody in the class. LOL

24 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Ha! 2018 North American Championships on Lake Eufala in Oklahoma, approximately equal long-distance drives for everybody in the class. LOL

And because everyone wants to go to Oklahoma.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, Alan H said:

Oklahoma!?!   Yeeee Ha ! 

Holy Mackeral that's a big lake.

19 hours ago, Alan H said:

OK, who owns this one?  It's in Connecticut.

https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L49913546

Great price by the way it looks.  I don't know.

Bull, it's in CONNETICUT!  I'm in California!    If my old boat comes up for sale I'll probably buy it and find a trailer for it. I'll keep it until 2022, when the S2 7.9

will probably get sold.

12 hours ago, Bull City said:

Alan H, don't be shy. Send an email to the owner. Buy it, sell the self tailing winches, do a nice re-fit, be happy!

keepcalm.thumb.png.d88bfbe43a42d42c53daca7e31891e74.png

That's the new mantra ......

Aw shoot. Stop teasing me with this stuff. That one in Bridgeport is like an hour away from me, and would be the perfect toy for my club's fall series racing on the CT river. (The C&C 35's 6' draft makes the river much smaller than it should be...) For now I'm just going to tell myself that the sails are junk and it doesn't have a trailer so it's really a very expensive little club racer...)

2 hours ago, RedRyder said:

Aw shoot. Stop teasing me with this stuff. That one in Bridgeport is like an hour away from me, and would be the perfect toy for my club's fall series racing on the CT river. (The C&C 35's 6' draft makes the river much smaller than it should be...) For now I'm just going to tell myself that the sails are junk and it doesn't have a trailer so it's really a very expensive little club racer...)

Red, you should take a look at it. The sails are probably pretty good; new ones aren't too much, and the boat has a favorable PHRF rating, AND you could join our little club!

B.C. 

They are fun little low-budget daysailers and racers. You can single or doublehand them easily. Put on a third body for weight and you're up and running with the best of 'em.  The one design suit of sails is a main, working jib and spinnaker. That's it.  You can overnight two or three folks on 'em and if you're the camping type can do 4-day weekends pretty easily.  They're maneuverable, but steady enough to take some weather (I did 400+ miles offshore in mine, once)  and pretty nice to look at,  and easy to maintain.  Seriously, if that describes what you would like, the ONLY downside to this boat  is that deploying the outboard is a PITA. Well, and there's no One Design in North America.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, Alan H said:

They are fun little low-budget daysailers and racers. You can single or doublehand them easily. Put on a third body for weight and you're up and running with the best of 'em.  The one design suit of sails is a main, working jib and spinnaker. That's it.  You can overnight two or three folks on 'em and if you're the camping type can do 4-day weekends pretty easily.  They're maneuverable, but steady enough to take some weather (I did 400+ miles offshore in mine, once)  and pretty nice to look at,  and easy to maintain.  Seriously, if that describes what you would like, the ONLY downside to this boat  is that deploying the outboard is a PITA. Well, and there's no One Design in North America.

Hey guys....what's the deal with the sails, I've heard a j-24 set will match, or closely match the cut of an H-Boat?  Is there truth to this?  Doug

1 hour ago, Jdmilnes2 said:

Hey guys....what's the deal with the sails, I've heard a j-24 set will match, or closely match the cut of an H-Boat?  Is there truth to this?  Doug

They're pretty close as to total sail area: H-Boat 269 sf; J24 261 sf , but you'd need to check the actual luff and foot lengths. Here are some links.

H-Boat: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=146

J24: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=245

BTW, the area listed in sailboatdata.com does not agree with the H-Boat Class website. I didn't check the J24 class.

I used a J-24 spinnaker for a while. It's close enough.  Otherwise the sails are remarkably close but might need adjusting. A sailmaker could almost certainly adjust crosscut dacron sails  to fit.  It's probably more worthwhile to adjust a jib to fit than a main as there's a foot difference in the luff in the jibs.  Trimming a foot off the foot of the jib is no huge deal.  There's a foot difference in the main luffs, too.   Anyway, for daysailing, easy-peasy.  For racing, get H-Boat sails, or at least an H-Boat mainsail but you could use the J-24 spinnaker, and could get by with a cut-down J-24 working jib

J-24
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?CLASS_ID=245
headstay is about 27.92.  I don't know if that's accurate.

H boat

headstay 25.75.  Mine was actually a little bit longer, probably 26.

13 minutes ago, Alan H said:

I used a J-24 spinnaker for a while. It's more than close enough.  Otherwise the sails are remarkably close but might need adjusting. A sailmaker could almost certainly adjust crosscut dacron sails  to fit.  It's probably more worthwhile to adjust a main to fit than a headsail, as there's a foot difference in the luff.  That's kind of a lot.

J-24
headstay is about 27.92.  I don't know if that's accurate.

H boat

headstay 25.75.  Mine was actually a little bit longer, probably 26.

Awesome...

If I remember rightly, the H Boat 1-D specifies dacron sails.  I would be VERY surprised if you found an H-Boat with anything but crosscut dacron sails.  Doesn't the J-24 class also specify crosscut dacron?   No worries about trying to mess with a radial cut sail.

Just looking at the number, the J-24 has a foot and a half larger J measurement, so the LP of it's working jib will be bigger than the H-boats. If you cut a foot off the bottom of the J-24's working jib and have the sailmaker bring the clew up, say 4 inches more than they normally might, you'll have a sail that's probably 5-8% larger than the class H-Boat class jib.  Not a big deal, just declare it on your PHRF application.  For daysailing, it's irrelevant.

21 hours ago, Alan H said:

If I remember rightly, the H Boat 1-D specifies dacron sails.  I would be VERY surprised if you found an H-Boat with anything but crosscut dacron sails.  Doesn't the J-24 class also specify crosscut dacron?   No worries about trying to mess with a radial cut sail.

Just looking at the number, the J-24 has a foot and a half larger J measurement, so the LP of it's working jib will be bigger than the H-boats. If you cut a foot off the bottom of the J-24's working jib and have the sailmaker bring the clew up, say 4 inches more than they normally might, you'll have a sail that's probably 5-8% larger than the class H-Boat class jib.  Not a big deal, just declare it on your PHRF application.  For daysailing, it's irrelevant.

Very detailed response, thank you.  Doug

My current project:

The big lug who owned my boat before me must have landed hard on the forward hatch, and as you can see snapped the damn thing in half.

I purchased an expensive adhesive that works with Lexan, and it is suppose to create a "weld" between the parts.  Did this already and seems to be holding.  How strong is it? I have no idea because I am afraid it will just snap (!).  It's together now, so I will use it as is to maintain the proper shape while I continue to work on it.  I plan on cutting and installing a clean piece of aluminum stock (3" wide) right now the middle of the hatch.  I will cut it to fit the top and bottom of the seam, "sandwiching the Lexan ,and apply a two-part epoxy.  I will  rivet it at several locations.  I will post a shot of it when complete.

Fingers crossed.

5a7330a516ea7_IMG_6947Small.jpg.58b38bc7b8dd1f8e0532866b2acfd4d0.jpg

\

6 hours ago, Jdmilnes2 said:

My current project:

The big lug who owned my boat before me must have landed hard on the forward hatch, and as you can see snapped the damn thing in half.

I purchased an expensive adhesive that works with Lexan, and it is suppose to create a "weld" between the parts.  Did this already and seems to be holding.  How strong is it? I have no idea because I am afraid it will just snap (!).  It's together now, so I will use it as is to maintain the proper shape while I continue to work on it.  I plan on cutting and installing a clean piece of aluminum stock (3" wide) right now the middle of the hatch.  I will cut it to fit the top and bottom of the seam, "sandwiching the Lexan ,and apply a two-part epoxy.  I will  rivet it at several locations.  I will post a shot of it when complete.

Fingers crossed.

That is quite a project. Speaking of hatches... 

Are you using the original companionway board? I'm curious because I made a Lexan replacement for mine, and used it for a few years. I wasn't really happy with it, and ended up using the original board, after stripping priming and painting.

What kind of shape are your cockpit locker hatches in? Mine are the original plywood hatches. During the renovation, we stripped and epoxied them, and then Awgripped them.  They're holding up OK, but not great. If I have to re-do or replace them, I think I may use Starboard or its equivalent.

33 minutes ago, Bull City said:

\

That is quite a project. Speaking of hatches... 

Are you using the original companionway board? I'm curious because I made a Lexan replacement for mine, and used it for a few years. I wasn't really happy with it, and ended up using the original board, after stripping priming and painting.

What kind of shape are your cockpit locker hatches in? Mine are the original plywood hatches. During the renovation, we stripped and epoxied them, and then Awgripped them.  They're holding up OK, but not great. If I have to re-do or replace them, I think I may use Starboard or its equivalent.

Not starboard. Too flexible, too heavy, too slippery.

14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Not starboard. Too flexible, too heavy, too slippery.

Here are the hatches after last night.  I looked on line for an adhesive (which cost about $30.00 for a tiny bottle), which essentially welds the Lexan.  From what I can tell it worked like a charm.  Then I bought some two part epoxy from Home Depot (Loctite Epoxy - For Plastic & Metal) to adhere 2" strip of aluminum to the top and bottom.  Talk about strong, holy cow, this stuff is amazing.  I will through rivet the top and bottom strips of aluminum to sandwich the Lexan.  I think you could jump on when I'm done.

The companion way hatch is Lexan, made pretty well, and being new the H-Boat I was not sure if it was original or not.  From what you're saying, sounds like wood is the original material.  For this coming (first) season in the boat, I will keep what I have for now, it works.

Funny thing....my seats we SHOT.  Utterly rotted.  I cut new ones, applied a single coat of West System on them last night to seal them, and this weekend I will put glass cloth on them and finish with paint.  I love would, but I also want to minimize the amount of work every year.  A nice cabin hatch would be easy to re-varnish every year.  Love these projects.

Doug

Hatch01.jpg

Hatch02.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jdmilnes2 said:

Here are the hatches after last night.  I looked on line for an adhesive (which cost about $30.00 for a tiny bottle), which essentially welds the Lexan.  From what I can tell it worked like a charm.  Then I bought some two part epoxy from Home Depot (Loctite Epoxy - For Plastic & Metal) to adhere 2" strip of aluminum to the top and bottom.  Talk about strong, holy cow, this stuff is amazing.  I will through rivet the top and bottom strips of aluminum to sandwich the Lexan.  I think you could jump on when I'm done.

The companion way hatch is Lexan, made pretty well, and being new the H-Boat I was not sure if it was original or not.  From what you're saying, sounds like wood is the original material.  For this coming (first) season in the boat, I will keep what I have for now, it works.

Funny thing....my seats we SHOT.  Utterly rotted.  I cut new ones, applied a single coat of West System on them last night to seal them, and this weekend I will put glass cloth on them and finish with paint.  I love would, but I also want to minimize the amount of work every year.  A nice cabin hatch would be easy to re-varnish every year.  Love these projects.

Doug

Looks great.Now I know who to call if my foreward hatch fails.

The original companionway board on my boat is plywood, with a vent opening. I turned the vent opening into a lexan window.

On the cockpit hatch covers, Ish thinks Starboard would be a mistake. What did you cut your new ones out of? Are you going to put non-skid on them?

7 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Looks great.Now I know who to call if my foreward hatch fails.

The original companionway board on my boat is plywood, with a vent opening. I turned the vent opening into a lexan window.

On the cockpit hatch covers, Ish thinks Starboard would be a mistake. What did you cut your new ones out of? Are you going to put non-skid on them?

1/2" Birch plywood.  I was going to originally stain them, the put glass over them.  The glass over time is affected by the UV rays, so I'll paint them with a two part epoxy and they will be like metal.  Putting on some Awlgrip makes good sense, and I would probably follow through with that for non-skid.

So the "Starboard" is a plastic sheet...Hmmm.  I did not know you could get the stuff that thick.  Good to know.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Jdmilnes2 said:

1/2" Birch plywood.  I was going to originally stain them, the put glass over them.  The glass over time is affected by the UV rays, so I'll paint them with a two part epoxy and they will be like metal.  Putting on some Awlgrip makes good sense, and I would probably follow through with that for non-skid.

So the "Starboard" is a plastic sheet...Hmmm.  I did not know you could get the stuff that thick.  Good to know.

Here's the new seat with glass on it.  Came out pretty good.

5a785becaf33e_SeatHatch.thumb.jpg.4e55c007efb92869b7309598cbe03e3e.jpg

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Nice. Please keep the photos coming!

Yes sir!

Every "original" H boat I've seen has wood seat-hatch covers in the cockpit.  The guy who owned my old H boat, maybe about 3-4 years ago replaced them with dark tinted lexan. I'm not a fan of the essentially black seats in the cockpit and the lexan is super slippery, but they are robust, won't rot and should be there for years.

If It was me, I'd take wood...put both sides in 10 oz fiberglass cloth in epoxy, then paint.  But that's just me.

11 hours ago, Alan H said:

Every "original" H boat I've seen has wood seat-hatch covers in the cockpit.  The guy who owned my old H boat, maybe about 3-4 years ago replaced them with dark tinted lexan. I'm not a fan of the essentially black seats in the cockpit and the lexan is super slippery, but they are robust, won't rot and should be there for years.

If It was me, I'd take wood...put both sides in 10 oz fiberglass cloth in epoxy, then paint.  But that's just me.

Agreed.  The Lexan has its place.  Perhaps the companion way hatch, and obviously the front hatch looks edgy with the molded black Lexan hatch.  I think the seats for my boat may have been the originals, but I'm not entirely sure.  The one thing that is for certain is that they were shot.  The attached shot is not a good one, but the top of the seat hatch is completely delaminating and rotten.  The hardware on it looks original.

5a79ae62305e6_SeatHatchSmall.thumb.jpg.18e1e5889e83ec0f75c4417d8435733c.jpg

They do look bad. Are you going to reuse the hardware?

BTW, what kind of winches do you have? Do you have the drum-type backstay adjuster?

AND... If you have time, I'd love to see some pics of the cabin top and cockpit layout.

45 minutes ago, Bull City said:

They do look bad. Are you going to reuse the hardware?

BTW, what kind of winches do you have? Do you have the drum-type backstay adjuster?

AND... If you have time, I'd love to see some pics of the cabin top and cockpit layout.

I will reuse the existing hardware and I believe it's original.  I have the original winches for sure, and I need to check the backstay adjuster.   Cockpit is very plain, but I will get some shots to you.

That little drum backstay adjuster is the bomb.  Loved that thing.   My artekno had ribbed winches with permanently attached handles, situated under the drum. It took some getting used to, but then you'll never lose a winch handle overboard. Besides, the headsail is small enough that you can do 90 of the work by hand, though a smaller woman or a kid might not be able to do that.

10 hours ago, Jdmilnes2 said:

Agreed.  The Lexan has its place.  Perhaps the companion way hatch, and obviously the front hatch looks edgy with the molded black Lexan hatch.  I think the seats for my boat may have been the originals, but I'm not entirely sure.  The one thing that is for certain is that they were shot.  The attached shot is not a good one, but the top of the seat hatch is completely delaminating and rotten.  The hardware on it looks original.

I replaced the wood seat hatches on my Columbia with foam cored glass - worked great and they were so light they wouldn't hurt if they dropped on your head or fingers.

13 hours ago, Jdmilnes2 said:

Looks like you some mildewy spaces down there. One of the anarchists recommended washing with a water and vinegar solution. Very effective and not obnoxious.

14 hours ago, Bull City said:

Looks like you some mildewy spaces down there. One of the anarchists recommended washing with a water and vinegar solution. Very effective and not obnoxious.

This photo is literally from the first day I cleaned the boat up.  Much-much cleaner all around now.  I still will do a really detailed clean, I think some sort of an oily product (engine gas?) got into the storage lockers.  I will need to get a good degreaser and have a go at it again.

The boat was filthy when I got it.  Like... left disgusting and not touched for years .  The photo at left is a glimpse of the dirt, the one on the right cleaned up a bit.  It's been a very cold winter here in Jersey, otherwise I would have been there many times cleaning again.  You can see the wood inside needs some work too.  I'm in the process of having new cushion covers made.

IMG_0550 Small.jpg

IMG_0595 Small.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Jdmilnes2 said:

This photo is literally from the first day I cleaned the boat up.  Much-much cleaner all around now.  I still will do a really detailed clean, I think some sort of an oily product (engine gas?) got into the storage lockers.  I will need to get a good degreaser and have a go at it again.

The boat was filthy when I got it.  Like... left disgusting and not touched for years .  The photo at left is a glimpse of the dirt, the one on the right cleaned up a bit.  It's been a very cold winter here in Jersey, otherwise I would have been there many times cleaning again.  You can see the wood inside needs some work too.  I'm in the process of having new cushion covers made.

IMG_0550 Small.jpg

IMG_0595 Small.jpg

I'm also replacing all the storage locker covers with new wood, and the bilge/keel boards will be repainted in epoxy.

Best thing I've ever used for mildew in lockers is a spritzer called Clorox Cleanup.

Obviously a bleach product but way better than diluted bleach.

Works great on uncleanable non-skid, deck stains (even rust) and even on waterline moustaches. Spritz it on and leave it. Hose it off later or the next day.

Bad rust, like in anchor lockers, can require scrubbing and several applications but even they will come back 90%.

Cheap too because it's a household product, not "marine".

Doug,

For your interior wood, I cleaned thoroughly, then used a couple of applications of Watco Teak Oil (a miracle product that should be advertised on late night TV) followed by  SloopJonB's recommendation of 3 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Polyurethane Gloss, and I've been very happy with it. Make sure you use the gloss, and send a thank you to SJB.

Are you getting new foam for the cushions? If not, do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Best thing I've ever used for mildew in lockers is a spritzer called Clorox Cleanup.

Obviously a bleach product but way better than diluted bleach.

Works great on uncleanable non-skid, deck stains (even rust) and even on waterline moustaches. Spritz it on and leave it. Hose it off later or the next day.

Bad rust, like in anchor lockers, can require scrubbing and several applications but even they will come back 90%.

Cheap too because it's a household product, not "marine".

Oh my! And you would risk this on your boat?

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Oh my! And you would risk this on your boat?

I've always liked living dangerously. Drives my wife crazy.