Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Mom

Abu Dhabi Stopover

Thanks A4E. Feel free to make suggestions for Abu Dhabi coverage - I arrive on the 30th.

...glad you're there Clean.

....outcome of protests..

...crew change details?

...the word on Vestas...

....Bouwe's gameplan for next leg?

...an overview on how sails are holding up,,any boats making replacements yet?

...how're the gingerbread cookies?

Sail replacements already? How many and which sails are they allowed to replace?

...I believe there's provision that each sail can have one replacement. I'd doubt there'd be changes yet,,but there have been issues particularly with J2's(?) . Overall,,it would be interesting to hear the inside story on sails.**

....**...not bad eh,Clean...a proper paragraph with only two wasted commas! :)

Here's a little better answer to my question:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/boat/10_The-sails.html

...thanks for the details,,,hadn't realized the replacements were so harsh!

In 2014-15, each one-design Volvo Ocean 65 will race around the world with just 12 sails, a major reduction in the inventory from previous races and another significant cost saving introduced as part of the project.

Just eight race sails are allowed on board, with no (non-repair) recuts and only four replacement sails.

...thanks for the details,,,hadn't realized the replacements were so harsh!

In 2014-15, each one-design Volvo Ocean 65 will race around the world with just 12 sails, a major reduction in the inventory from previous races and another significant cost saving introduced as part of the project.

Just eight race sails are allowed on board, with no (non-repair) recuts and only four replacement sails.

I'm assuming they are playing their sail inventory games similar to how the F1 plays their tire allocation.

I'm assuming they are playing their sail inventory games similar to how the F1 plays their tire allocation.

...yes,,,but it'd bee interesting to hear details....that's why I added it to the question list....

Thanks A4E. Feel free to make suggestions for Abu Dhabi coverage - I arrive on the 30th.

...glad you're there Clean.

....outcome of protests..

...crew change details?

...the word on Vestas...

....Bouwe's gameplan for next leg?

...an overview on how sails are holding up,,any boats making replacements yet?

...how're the gingerbread cookies?

...yes,,,but it'd bee interesting to hear details....that's why I added it to the question list....

Agreed

JB, I live in Dubai but only had a chance last weekend to get to Abu Dhabi. I visited the Auckland stopover last time and it was a busy place with stuff happening and the boats on the water where you could get a better view. Maybe once the in port stuff starts there will be more happening.

Couch to win contest 1:

JBSF to win contest 2 (you've got the camera, lens, and maybe even the aero-acrobatic option ;) )

Meanwhile, Facebook fans of Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing (ADOR) – the emirate’s own VOR contender – have the chance to enter two fantastic and highly unusual competitions. The first sees fans submitting captions for one of the Top Ten photos taken by ADOR onboard reporter Matt Knighton. The wittiest caption wins an enlarged photo of the one-off image, signed by the team, and to be presented in a VIP gathering at the Azzam Lounge in the Destination Village on January 1.

In the second competition, fans have to submit photos and videos of themselves ‘jumping’ to be in with a chance to secure the once-in-a-lifetime ‘Jump From Azzam’ experience as ADOR sail their yacht Azzam out of Abu Dhabi for the start of Leg 3 of the VOR to Sanya in China on January 3.

http://www.gulfdailymail.com/2014/12/22/vor-destination-village-on-abu-dhabis-corniche-breakwater-attracts-fun-lovers/

Couch to win contest 1:

JBSF to win contest 2 (you've got the camera, lens, and maybe even the aero-acrobatic option ;) )

Meanwhile, Facebook fans of Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing (ADOR) – the emirate’s own VOR contender – have the chance to enter two fantastic and highly unusual competitions. The first sees fans submitting captions for one of the Top Ten photos taken by ADOR onboard reporter Matt Knighton. The wittiest caption wins an enlarged photo of the one-off image, signed by the team, and to be presented in a VIP gathering at the Azzam Lounge in the Destination Village on January 1.

In the second competition, fans have to submit photos and videos of themselves ‘jumping’ to be in with a chance to secure the once-in-a-lifetime ‘Jump From Azzam’ experience as ADOR sail their yacht Azzam out of Abu Dhabi for the start of Leg 3 of the VOR to Sanya in China on January 3.

http://www.gulfdailymail.com/2014/12/22/vor-destination-village-on-abu-dhabis-corniche-breakwater-attracts-fun-lovers/

I'm definitely IN!

Couch to win contest 1:

I'm definitely IN!

Think they'll allow an ejection seat jump shot? ;)

Couch to win contest 1:

....what's the point in starting a contest that I already nailed!? :lol:

...who hid the caffeine gum!!?? :mellow:

ADOR_141123_knighton_0172.jpg?itok=25wO_

......those flying fish are creeping me out! :unsure:

ADOR_141211_knighton_2256.jpg?itok=mTGYZ

Couch to win contest 1:

I'm definitely IN!

Think they'll allow an ejection seat jump shot? ;)

That would be cool!

Clean,

as you will be in Abu Dhabi from the 30th of December I've several Questions to the Skippers should you be able to talk to them...

1) How do they approach Leg 3 which could be very, very challenging for the Navigators?

2) Do they realize that they can basically lose the entire Leg in the first 2-3 Days (whoever gets out of the Gulf of Oman first could have a huge Advantage)

3) From Oman to the Maledives is pretty much unknown territory so how they going to handle that?

4) Given that they MUST round the Island of Pulau We (the most northern trip of the Sumatra Island) and Pulau We is in line with the Maledives what options do they take: 1) Sail 200-300 Miles more to get around the Maledives or 2) Cut the corner and sail through the Islands.

I asked IW those exact questions last week. Read here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=162560&p=4777463

He said that getting out of the Arabian (Persian) Gulf is the make or break part of the first 3rd as there are lots of chances for wind holes and parking up. He said Oman to the Maldives was pretty straightforward with good DW sailing in the tradewinds. The Malacca straight was the real tactical headache as you negotiate all the ship traffic, debris and fluky winds. Then its an upwind beat into Sanya once you get around Singapore.

I'm not sure the Maldives really even come into play.... I think they head straight to Sri Lanka, turn the corner and go due east to the Malacca straights and the N tip of Sumatra. The Maldives are waaay south of Sri Lanka, so not sure why they would go "around the Maldives".

Alvi's got a cool auction fundraiser going for the pro-am and jumpseat at the start. I'll bet the bidding goes up as groups realize the opportunity at hand....

The bidding closes soon! Pro-Am Race - 1 day left, Jump Seat - 2 days left…www.teamalvimedica.com/auction/

Ever wondered what it’s like to race with the Team Alvimedica crew or join them during a leg start? Wonder no more! Bid on our auction to join them in Abu Dhabi for a Pro-Am Race or in the Jump Seat at the start of Leg 3. All funds raised will go to benefit the mobile heart clinic of the Zayed giving initiative. Find out more here: http://goo.gl/6ykDKJ

..... VIDEO ......https://www.facebook.com/TeamAlvimedica

http://www.teamalvimedica.com/auction/

Brunel's been pumping a fair number of backgrounders out...not necessarily 'race compelling,but better than 'tumblweeds'. Some race footage,but I can realy see how these human interest stories would be quite interesting for general audience.

...seems like Dee's made a run for it?.....

Nice! you sent her an allusion toThe Odyssey Book 11

Yet, I speak truth, when you arrive there you will take revenge on them for their outrages. When, though, you have killed the Suitors in your palace, by cunning or openly, with your sharp sword, then pick up a shapely oar and travel on till you come to a race that knows nothing of the sea, that eat no salt with their food, and have never heard of crimson-painted ships, or the well-shaped oars that serve as wings. And let this be your sign, you cannot miss it: that meeting another traveller he will say you carry a winnowing-fan on your broad shoulder. There you must plant your shapely oar in the ground, and make rich sacrifice to Lord Poseidon, a ram, a bull, and a breeding-boar. Then leave for home, and make sacred offerings there to the deathless gods who hold the wide heavens, to all of them, and in their due order.

Wish her well with the sacrifices. Think she'll laugh at allusions to the other teams? ;)

Chatting to IW waiting to get through security yesterday morning and he was saying that getting to Singapore in the daylight was a big help as there is so much light clutter along with the shipping - both lit and unlit made it a nightmare at night

Also a lot of unlit fishing boats in the Malacca Straits

SS

Chatting to IW waiting to get through security yesterday morning and he was saying that getting to Singapore in the daylight was a big help as there is so much light clutter along with the shipping - both lit and unlit made it a nightmare at night

Also a lot of unlit fishing boats in the Malacca Straits

SS

Also, there are some images from last time that IW will recall: (shipping and Ken Read dodging fishing nets)

For the lights, remember http://www.volvooceanracelorient.com/?titre=la-lumiere-au-bout-du-tunnel&mode=&id=1616&langue=en (sorry, can't find the original to post here)

post-63767-0-93948500-1419869387_thumb.jpg

post-63767-0-98669100-1419869637.txt

Any Anarchists that are in AD for the stopover.... we need to set a time and place and I'll buy the first round.

1. @DongfengRacing press briefing begins for leg 3 - big crew change coming up for race ‘home’ to Sanya.....Black stays, Martin Stromberg off this leg, Kit Chen joins for 1st time, Jack Boutell on

'We have a good team and the new people onboard are fresh and will give us energy!' @CCaudrelier

OBR @Y_Riou won't be sailing this leg due to family reasons

'I am really forward to seeing the team again in #Sanya' Horace, as he steps off Dongfeng for Leg3

2. @CCaudrelier on leg 3 tactics “could be all about speed as few opportunities strategywise on this course”

At skippers' prss conference now. anyone got questions?

Too late to ask, but still looking for answers to:

1) Will more people, like the shore teams, get access to the 10 second tracker updates?

2) protest results?

3) Will we get the In-port live race tracker?

4) What are the plans for the live tracker this leg? Will we get a live tracker through the Malacca straits like last time? Within n-miles/hours of the finish?

Clean, can you show the OBR guys the Comanche clip that they produced from the Sydney Hobart race?

Clean, can you show the OBR guys the Comanche clip that they produced from the Sydney Hobart race?

Which clip?

Which clip?
Its over in the S/H or Comanche thread in OA, its a great 3-4 mins compiled overthe duration of the race. Have to say, way above what's been supplied from the 3-4 week legs so far.

Would post the link, but on a shitty cell connection.

Which clip?
Its over in the S/H or Comanche thread in OA, its a great 3-4 mins compiled overthe duration of the race. Have to say, way above what's been supplied from the 3-4 week legs so far.

This link? #2459

Well! Actual sailing footage to tease the in-port race. No kids, deserts, camels or other tourist clips.

Any Anarchists that are in AD for the stopover.... we need to set a time and place and I'll buy the first round.

I'm driving down on the 1st and probably leaving the evening of the 3rd or morning of the 4th if there's a craic going on.

Well! Actual sailing footage to tease the in-port race. No kids, deserts, camels or other tourist clips.

....a -teaser- indeed. I can't imagine we'll see such action in AbaDoobey

It's over 5 minutes, has 2 minutes of boring ass on board fixed cam and a pile of outside-sourced helicopter stuff, but still is awesome for a vid by a sail trimmer. Comparing any of it to what the OBRs are doing is pretty silly in a hundred different ways.

If you have specific things in mind for Leg 3, tell me and I'll see that at least one or two OBRs do something about it.  But to compare what those guys have to do to a quick, raw edit using a YT soundtrack of a 2-day race with lots of big air on the world's sexiest monohull is a little daft.

[snip]

If you have specific things in mind for Leg 3, tell me and I'll see that at least one or two OBRs do something about it. 

would love to see anything that helps appreciate why the driver / trimmer skills are better than casual club racers.

i.e, what makes these pros worth the big bucks? Can it be shown on video.

....your questions answered by Mapfre :mellow: in english! :o

Thanks--saw that after wresting with the spanish text version ;)

JBSF, if you'll be taking more photos, can you get more close ups of the loops, chafe guards and mast head details? Any interesting rigging work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[snip]

If you have specific things in mind for Leg 3, tell me and I'll see that at least one or two OBRs do something about it. 

would love to see anything that helps appreciate why the driver / trimmer skills are better than casual club racers.

Is it by the seat of their pants or are they looking at something while trimming?

Which clip?

This link? #2459

That's the one, thanks.

JBSF, if you'll be taking more photos, can you get more close ups of the loops, chafe guards and mast head details? Any interesting rigging work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You bet. I'm headed down there in about 90 min. I will plan to get LOTS of pics on the boats during the practice race today. I'm also planning on taking my GoPro and wearing it during the race (headstrap) while also taking stills with the DSLR. Any tips on posting the goPro vids up online? Trying to edit it with the GoPro sw is a huge PITA. What's a good video hosting site that I can just chuck up the raw clips? Vimeo?

You bet. I'm headed down there in about 90 min. I will plan to get LOTS of pics on the boats during the practice race today. I'm also planning on taking my GoPro and wearing it during the race (headstrap) while also taking stills with the DSLR. Any tips on posting the goPro vids up online? Trying to edit it with the GoPro sw is a huge PITA. What's a good video hosting site that I can just chuck up the raw clips? Vimeo?

....there's likely a better way,,but if you shoot 3-4minute clips,,you can download your fav's straight off.

[snip]

Is it by the seat of their pants or are they looking at something while trimming?

Pure speculation - but I would say a lot of both. If its anything like from what I've read about the old AC in the IACC boats - it was very numbers driven. Target boatspeed is king, wallying, etc. I would imagine its similar on these boats. And from the instrumentation I've seen in the cockpit, it looks like the trimmers (main especially) have their own displays. I would also imagine that the pro drivers and trimmers can do a lot of it by feel as well with the numbers backing them up. You don't get to that level in the sport without being able to become "one with the boat". If it was just "paint by numbers" - any schmuck like me could drive a VO65 well. And we know that ain't gonna happen..... ;)

....there's likely a better way,,but if you shoot 3-4minute clips,,you can download your fav's straight off.

Yep, I'll try to keep the clips short if I can remember to hit the stop button during the action occasionally. But it gets back to converting them into a usuable format and then being able to stick them on a hosting site so it can be linked to SA. Unless Clean has the secret key, I can't post up raw vid straight to SA.

Besides, I have a Black tie party to get to right after, so time is short to post up the practice race pics and vids.

[snip]

I dug up a pic from a couple of weeks ago. Looks like at least there are some info displays coming into the trimmers as you can see here. It will be interesting to see what they actually display on it.....

IMG_4103_zps82e2c662.jpg

It looks to me like that would be used by the Main trimmer. The driver has their own set of instruments at their pedestal as you can see here....

IMG_4092_zpse9f06d13.jpg

There are sensors on the rig to keep the teams from over powering the boat. Anyone else besides Dongfeng flashing those lights? Where are they located?

Girls crushed it, winning the practice race by a fair bit. On Alvi, we got DFL.

good times.

BWR starts in a bit - live coverage on the front page in a few minutes.

Girls crushed it, winning the practice race by a fair bit. On Alvi, we got DFL.

good times.

BWR starts in a bit - live coverage on the front page in a few minutes.

Well of course the Girls crushed it they have been doing fairly well in the in ports and practice races.

And by crushed it, the girls absolutely spanked everyone!

Pics coming up soon......

The coolest media girl ever!

IMG_4840_zpsd40e3683.jpg

Clean: "you want me to wear WHAT??"

IMG_4843_zps8d1aa6fb.jpg

Our ride for the day.....

IMG_4845_zps77128996.jpg

Chinese House cleaning....

IMG_4848_zps1d74036c.jpg

IMG_4846_zps3a85c225.jpg

Clean hitting on the hot Spanish girl....

IMG_4850_zpsf5f4d6ea.jpg

Mer - just kidding! He was behaved..... :D

IMG_4852_zpsf2be2d40.jpg

IMG_4854_zps448c1839.jpg

IMG_4856_zpsf50cd5e7.jpg

Clean chatting with Charlie Enright about the upcoming practice....

IMG_4862_zps2e93a681.jpg

IMG_4877_zpsda8be0db.jpg

IMG_4865_zps99a94280.jpg

Amory Ross, the OBR, earning his keep.....

IMG_4878_zps07a67fa8.jpg

I KNEW I should have quit smoking......

IMG_4944_zps7f405ad0.jpg

IMG_4943_zps36bfec8d.jpg

IMG_4946_zps3d7b266b.jpg

IMG_4945_zps4e084db3.jpg

IMG_4964_zps638524ab.jpg

Sometimes, low tech works well too.....

IMG_4965_zps0beaf33c.jpg

IMG_4989_zpse27de339.jpg

Your's truly, makin' coffee.....

IMG_5009_zpsb460ac87.jpg

IMG_5010_zpsc3ad06d5.jpg

IMG_5012_zpsf8d8a229.jpg

IMG_5016_zpsb807f358.jpg

Nick Dana made foredeck look....

IMG_5024_zpsf1b426a2.jpg

IMG_5021_zpsff5b54a1.jpg

This pic below came out really well.....

IMG_5027_zpsb688b22e.jpg

IMG_5031_zps9dcc56f3.jpg

....nice shots JB.

....did it seem all teams were 'trying' as hard as SCA?...close at start at least?

A beautiful sailing day! 80F and about 15kts of wind. Stunning day in Abu Dhabi!

IMG_5036_zps3809eaa4.jpg

IMG_5042_zps9128715b.jpg

Overheard from Charlie Enright: "Dude, put your hat back on... I can't see the telltails from all that glare off your melon!"

IMG_5049_zpsd42d6cba.jpg

IMG_5053_zps8ac4ebba.jpg

IMG_5056_zps997d4913.jpg

IMG_5061_zpse490b714.jpg

....nice shots JB.

....did it seem all teams were 'trying' as hard as SCA?...close at start at least?

....nice shots JB.

Yes and yes. They were all going for it as if it were the World championships at the start. Locking people out at the boat, etc.

I'm out the door to head to Dubai for a NY Black tie party. More tomorrow..... I have LOTS of boat on boat pics and vid

qE3f9VRg_bigger.jpeg

AbuDhabiOceanRacing@ADORlog 1h1 hour ago

What a finish! 2014 ends with #GoAzzam winning the first #VOR Pro-am race #InAbuDhabi Come see Race 2 & 3 tomorrow!

...so if the girls 'crushed it',,how come Azzam's claiming the win?? :huh:

That's the Pro-am race. Clean and I did the Practice race before hand. I'll do a full write up tomorrow but the practice race was far better. The practice race was full up with full crew. On the pro-am, they take off half the crew and bring on a bunch of people for the experience. In the practice race - they do a full on race start w 3 WL legs. The pro am I am told they just reach back and forth to let the newbies sail in a non-stressful environment. So Azzam's "win" was not really a race.

Edit: so yes, in the real race of the day... The girls crushed.

JB - great stuff. Thanks for all that. Lucky bastard. Must be an incredible boat to be on.

From the massive beach party in Abu dhabi, we wish you a happy VOR new year!

image.jpg

Happy new years bitches! More photos to come.....

Edit:as soon as I sober up.

...oh,,have another on me! ;)

...oh,,have another on me! ;)

Ok

Overheard from Charlie Enright: "Dude, put your hat back on... I can't see the telltails from all that glare off your melon!"

IMG_5049_zpsd42d6cba.jpg

IMG_5053_zps8ac4ebba.jpg

IMG_5056_zps997d4913.jpg

IMG_5061_zpse490b714.jpg

What's he doing up there

IMG_5049_zpsd42d6cba.jpg

IMG_5053_zps8ac4ebba.jpg

IMG_5056_zps997d4913.jpg

IMG_5061_zpse490b714.jpg

What's he doing up there

His job.....

Ok, so let me quickly set the scene for all the pics..... I didn't have time yesterday.

Clean got invited out onto Alvi for the practice race yesterday (31st) and he brought me along to take pics. The practice race, for many, was the first time back on the water since they got back in from CT. So it was intended to shake out the cobwebs and get them back into race mode. As well as shake out the boat after it had been stripped and put back together by the shore teams. The cool thing about the practice race is there were two practice starts before the real race. And all the teams treated it as such. The feeling was that they really wanted to all do well in the in-port race and work on those short course racing skills and teamwork. i.e. They were taking the "practice" pretty seriously.

All the Alvi guys, from the shore crew to the sailors, were fantastic and hospitable. They gave us the run of the boat and let us go anywhere we wanted during the racing as long as we didn't get in the way of the maneuvers. They were super cool guys who were genuinely nice. The first thing that jumped out at me is that this is not a "job" for them.... they truly loved sailing and racing. They were all chomping at the bit to get back on the water after a break.

More in a bit.... gotta run to the dock.

Practice starts as a teaser....

IMG_5366_zps7d5e990d.jpg

IMG_5360_zpscbf10e4a.jpg

IMG_5359_zps3338a70e.jpg

IMG_5356_zps7557bea4.jpg

IMG_5353_zps7387f4dc.jpg

IMG_5339_zps76894b57.jpg

IMG_5329_zps39f179c8.jpg

IMG_5325_zpse8ea9b8d.jpg

IMG_5323_zps9773fb1e.jpg

IMG_5321_zps5c59b334.jpg

IMG_5320_zpse64db1ea.jpg

IMG_5308_zps6e1ac7f0.jpg

IMG_5307_zps8fb6602e.jpg

IMG_5291_zps48202dd9.jpg

IMG_5280_zpsc1fb95c4.jpg

IMG_5277_zps01edb604.jpg

IMG_5269_zps4d1e2a3a.jpg

IMG_5252_zpse88d45b8.jpg

IMG_5234_zps185df97c.jpg

IMG_5233_zps11a72fda.jpg

IMG_5228_zps63c93ff2.jpg

IMG_5216_zpsc6f02f81.jpg

Ok, so let me quickly set the scene for all the pics..... I didn't have time yesterday.

Clean got invited out onto Alvi for the practice race yesterday (31st) and he brought me along to take pics. The practice race, for many, was the first time back on the water since they got back in from CT. So it was intended to shake out the cobwebs and get them back into race mode. As well as shake out the boat after it had been stripped and put back together by the shore teams. The cool thing about the practice race is there were two practice starts before the real race. And all the teams treated it as such. The feeling was that they really wanted to all do well in the in-port race and work on those short course racing skills and teamwork. i.e. They were taking the "practice" pretty seriously.

All the Alvi guys, from the shore crew to the sailors, were fantastic and hospitable. They gave us the run of the boat and let us go anywhere we wanted during the racing as long as we didn't get in the way of the maneuvers. They were super cool guys who were genuinely nice. The first thing that jumped out at me is that this is not a "job" for them.... they truly loved sailing and racing. They were all chomping at the bit to get back on the water after a break.

...great stuff!...there's something about these shots that feels very special,,somehow un-press like...almost high tech sailor snaps,,,that I like a lot. Definitely taken by a sailor in the thick of it!

....thanks for being there,,and transmitting the pure passion a lot of these sailors obviously have for the game! :)

......''haha....who's the bald guy!?''

IMG_5307_zps8fb6602e.jpg