Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Mom

Abu Dhabi Stopover

Damage on DF and Brunel

IMG_6226_zps83b69438.jpg

IMG_6227_zpsbe9d4e32.jpg

IMG_6228_zps87875e28.jpg

IMG_6229_zpsa76c2eb7.jpg

IMG_6222_zps9fd5798c.jpg

IMG_6223_zpsdf0b0f2c.jpg

IMG_6224_zps53c0d2e3.jpg

IMG_6225_zpse8de2bfb.jpg

Brunel is likely to remove the Bowsprit overnight and make sure there is no unseen damage.

Anyway - back to the practice race pics. To the actual race shots now.

Start Sequence (all shot from onboard Alvimedica):

IMG_5356_zps7557bea4.jpg

IMG_5353_zps7387f4dc.jpg

IMG_5358_zps7b51d24d.jpg

Brunel trying to get across Alvi's stern

IMG_5359_zps3338a70e.jpg

IMG_5371_zpsf273d483.jpg

The girls look buried at the start

IMG_5366_zps7d5e990d.jpg

Both Alvi and ADOR tack immediately onto Port at the boat and head right.

IMG_5370_zpse84ba98a.jpg

IMG_5375-Copy_zps0940b9eb.jpg

The other 4 boats go left and then come back across. Alvi crosses Brunel but the rest get across us on port

IMG_5404_zps55a84ceb.jpg

SCA 2nd around the mark with DF 1st and MAP 3rd. The other to go around the right hand windward gate mark. SCA goes to the left, which eventually really pays off for them in the end.

IMG_5407_zps2497e9db.jpg

IMG_5410_zps1d442f8a.jpg

We follow ADOR around the right hand mark and go back down the right side of the course.

IMG_5416-Copy_zps55e245c9.jpg

IMG_5422-Copy_zpseeb1dec9.jpg

IMG_5433-Copy_zpsc338bd51.jpg

IMG_5437-Copy_zps1b7bee06.jpg

IMG_5444-Copy_zps60aa1227.jpg

IMG_5452-Copy_zps4166b774.jpg

IMG_5456-Copy_zps5e455891.jpg

IMG_5461-Copy_zps9ef11fdd.jpg

IMG_5463-Copy_zps8313f4da.jpg

Nice cross by DF

IMG_5471-Copy_zpsd1cbd7c4.jpg

IMG_5484-Copy_zps3ade8642.jpg

IMG_5486-Copy_zpsdf4ec0f0.jpg

IMG_5492-Copy_zps3325d4de.jpg

IMG_5497-Copy_zpse9f475a4.jpg

The girls like the left DW again.....

IMG_5503-Copy_zps6d1113e4.jpg

IMG_5525-Copy_zpsa673ab76.jpg

Oh no... the hour glass of shame....

IMG_5527-Copy_zps148f0e3d.jpg

IMG_5531-Copy_zps32a6fa96.jpg

IMG_5535-Copy_zps94d06fea.jpg

IMG_5539-Copy_zpse67a8406.jpg

IMG_5541-Copy_zpsc58f0eba.jpg

IMG_5561-Copy_zps732b6801.jpg

IMG_5564-Copy_zps1a4880ad.jpg

IMG_5565-Copy_zpsdac196e6.jpg

IMG_5575-Copy_zps4efe37d2.jpg

The girls are headed back upwind for the last time to start leg 3. Mapfre and ADOR in pursuit. DF loses at least a place from the hourglass....

IMG_5584-Copy_zps2b13d1bd.jpg

Interesting, SCA seemed to be sailing a bit flatter than the rest all day.

IMG_5596-Copy_zps4eaaaa9c.jpg

Take that, Spaniard boys!

IMG_5603-Copy_zpsb09b7772.jpg

IMG_5616_zpse3791d7b.jpg

Downwind to the finish in the lead.... Just don't screw up

IMG_5642_zps8f6ae719.jpg

Mmmm.... shrimp for dinner ;)

IMG_5650_zps2210e22c.jpg

IMG_5651_zps13cae70f.jpg

IMG_5652_zps8b18239f.jpg

IMG_5656_zps2b1b50f8.jpg

IMG_5666_zps36ff9be3.jpg

IMG_5667_zps0640369e.jpg

IMG_5670_zps2a3628a4.jpg

A pensive Will Oxley, trying to figure out how to get past Burnel

IMG_5686_zps548509a8.jpg

Nearing the finish....

IMG_5701_zpsad13e4db.jpg

That's it for the practice race pics from 31st Dec. Finish order was:

SCA

MAPFRE

DF

ADOR

Brunel

Alvi

VOR site:

ABU DHABI, January 1 – Neal McDonald, the performance director of Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing, has been pulled out of retirement to join the crew for the third leg of the Volvo Ocean Race starting on Saturday.

The 51-year-old Briton completed his sixth edition of the 41-year-old event in 2011-12 with Telefónica and announced he was quitting as a sailor in the Volvo Ocean Race.

But a hand injury and mysterious bug has forced out Australian Phil Harmer and McDonald was the obvious choice to step in.

He will be competing in his seventh race to join Swede Roger Nilson and the current Team Brunel skipper Bouwe Bekking (NED) as holding the record for most appearances in the event.

“We need Phil back, we need him in good shape. I think if we were looking at it in another perspective, if this was the last leg, Phil would probably do it, but we’ve got to look at the big picture, we want him to get back at 100 per cent rather than at 95 per cent, and he needs time to do that,” said McDonald.

“I’m excited, probably more nervous to be honest, I don’t want to let the guys down, so there’s a bit of that about it.

“I’m pleased I’m not going into the Southern Ocean, and I’m pleased it’s one leg not eight. I think it takes its toll on your body and it’s a long term thing that slowly drives your body more and more into submission, so I’m glad I’m only doing a one-legger.”

Several of the other teams have also made changes for the in-port race, which takes place at 1100 UTC on Friday, and subsequent Leg 3 departure for Sanya, China, on Saturday, also at 1100 UTC.

Dongfeng Race Team (Charles Caudrelier/FRA) are introducing Chinese newcomer Cheng Ying (or ‘Kit’) plus Australian 23-year-old, Jack Bouttell, with Jin Hao Chen (‘Horace’) of China and Sweden’s Martin Strömberg stepping down for the leg.

Team SCA’s bowman Sophie Ciszek (AUS) has been forced out with a back injury and Liz Wardley (AUS), who is being rested as part of the team’s normal crew rotation. Sara Hastreiter (USA) and Sally Barkow (USA) both return.

The 4,670 nautical mile third leg is one of the most hazardous in the nine-month race, partly because some of the polluted routes the boats must negotiate especially the Straits of Malacca between Malaysia and the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

The fleet, minus Team Vestas Wind which was grounded on an Indian Ocean reef midway through Leg 2, is due to arrive in Sanya around January 24-25.

To recap the practice race - I really enjoyed going out with the Alvimedica boys. Good group of guys that love their job. I asked Charley what his goal for the day was and he said it was two fold:

1. To knock the rust off and get ready for the in-port race with crew maneuvers and communication being the key.

2. To make sure the boat was ready to go. They had replaced ALL the standing rigging ($30k worth) and wanted to make sure everything was good to go.

The debrief was interesting and very informative. Charley ran a good, quick debrief and took feedback from all the crew. No one whinned or made excuses. He told it like it was and praised when appropriate. They obviously were not happy with their boatspeed and the early maneuvers were not crisp. One of the issues was the keel kept falling down a bit and not holding the desired cant. So they were losing boatspeed and height as a result. Not sure what the problem was yet. I'll try to ask tomorrow. Once of the areas they talked at length about was the communication between driver, trimmers and foredeck. I thought their comms were fantastic and lots of critical information was being passed concisely and timely. But given the fact that they are under-crewed for the in-port stuff - they really wanted to make some nuanced tweaks to make it even better. Despite being DFL - I think they were satisfied that they got out of the day what they needed to. I expect them to be in the hunt for honors on the In-port race tomorrow.

Good luck!

Your best work here JBSF, and a special thanks for the text. Catching the pics of the prodder action, sequence and consequence was very effective.

Perhaps you should be hung over more often ;)

VOR site:

ABU DHABI, January 1 – Neal McDonald, the performance director of Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing, has been pulled out of retirement to join the crew for the third leg of the Volvo Ocean Race starting on Saturday.

The 51-year-old Briton completed his sixth edition of the 41-year-old event in 2011-12 with Telefónica and announced he was quitting as a sailor in the Volvo Ocean Race.

51???? GO the Old Guy! There is hope for me yet.

But seriously, no disrespect to McDonald - but is there no one in the world of racing available/interested to do a leg of the top offshore race on the globe without bringing a reluctant guy out of retirement? It seems this would be a perfect opportunity to bring in a young stud and give him some exposure to the VOR and use it to seed the next gen of offshore racers.

Make no bones about it; Ian cares about one thing, and that's winning this race. And Neal is the best person to help the team do that.

VOR site:

But seriously, no disrespect to McDonald - but is there no one in the world of racing available/interested to do a leg of the top offshore race on the globe without bringing a reluctant guy out of retirement? It seems this would be a perfect opportunity to bring in a young stud and give him some exposure to the VOR and use it to seed the next gen of offshore racers.

Were these races filmed and if so is there any plan to post a replay?

....the Pro-ams are basically pony rides with marks and horns,,but in-port will be covered of course.......

Abu Dhabi In-Port Race live stream coverage begins tomorrow at 09:50 UTC

Join us online!

....the Pro-ams are basically pony rides with marks and horns,,but in-port will be covered of course.......

Join us online!

or 4:50 am EST. I am getting up early for it and the start but damn

....2am here on WC...one for the replay footage :mellow:

Join us online!

Glad to hear that level of commitment!

Finally got this one together.

...a really honest,humble interview, very tough getting up to speed on this stage. I really hope the team stays engaged with other boats this leg,,,,respect the fleet,stay with them,,,,work on boatspeed.

......''you make a mistake,,and you're out there for the next 20 days living it''

....6:50.....''they don't talk about us as girls,they talk about SCA,,that shows there's already respect''

....16:30....Clean..''gold?...silver??...bronze?...NO??'' :o

Geeze Clean,,after all these years in the game,,yer think you'de get your facts right,eh!? :P

...17:30,,,redeemed yourself well with a good question ;)

.........A....''it's a lot of little things adding up'',,,''a real handicap for experience when it comes to shifting gears and new situations''

---------

...there was recent mention from SCA about the challenge of not having outside input from shoreteam when a new issue comes up.....a can see how it's really a tough equation when you add up all the bits....very little offshore large crew experience,,,a boat designed for 3 less sailors,means tough dynamics down below and for sleep arrangements.....quite a big game of catch-up for women's sailing happening before us!

10409678_784486321593690_510002154884070

New Year's Day Swim at GAFIRS. I am proud to be their patron.

couchsurfer 42m42 minutes ago

@deecaffari 3000 brits sacrificed to the sea... GO SCA!

10888837_974566655918988_272840592478395

Make no bones about it; Ian cares about one thing, and that's winning this race. And Neal is the best person to help the team do that.

VOR site:

Fair enough

Finally got this one together. [video snipped]

...a really honest,humble interview, very tough getting up to speed on this stage. I really hope the team stays engaged with other boats this leg,,,,respect the fleet,stay with them,,,,work on boatspeed.

......''you make a mistake,,and you're out there for the next 20 days living it''

....6:50.....''they don't talk about us as girls,they talk about SCA,,that shows there's already respect''

Geeze Clean,,after all these years in the game,,yer think you'de get your facts right,eh!? :P

.........A....''it's a lot of little things adding up'',,,''a real handicap for experience when it comes to shifting gears and new situations''

---------

...there was recent mention from SCA about the challenge of not having outside input from shoreteam when a new issue comes up.....a can see how it's really a tough equation when you add up all the bits....very little offshore large crew experience,,,a boat designed for 3 less sailors,means tough dynamics down below and for sleep arrangements.....quite a big game of catch-up for women's sailing happening before us!

Nice summary Couch, and good questions from Clean--especially when the doctor (11:10) was thanked despite the PR bafflegab re crew weights. Good to hear the laugh, and the eagerness by the crew and others to give a clear answer.

Huh. Report doesn't mention all the efforts of Moose and Knut to bring China into ocean racing last time around.

There has been success at Olympic sailing level but little activity out on the oceans, meaning Dongfeng started the project with effectively zilch to go on.

That was just a year ago and yet, almost from thin air, they have produced six sailors for the world’s toughest ocean race.

Dongfeng Race Team retweeted

That's because it didn't end particularly well, hence no more Team Sanya or Moose in this one. But they did like the stopover, and that's why it is back.

Huh. Report doesn't mention all the efforts of Moose and Knut to bring China into ocean racing last time around.

There has been success at Olympic sailing level but little activity out on the oceans, meaning Dongfeng started the project with effectively zilch to go on.

That was just a year ago and yet, almost from thin air, they have produced six sailors for the world’s toughest ocean race.

Dongfeng Race Team retweeted

---------

A good summary and a good interview. Team SCA is learning from their mistakes. In my crystal ball I still see a podium place for them. They are also building experience fast.

I am glad to know my half ass guess in the first leg about crew weight of 12 women and 9 men and their food stuffs was correct. Most guys don't stop to think about just how much less a woman weighs than them. Even at the same height and roughly the same build.

---------

A good summary and a good interview. Team SCA is learning from their mistakes. In my crystal ball I still see a podium place for them. They are also building experience fast.

I am glad to know my half ass guess in the first leg about crew weight of 12 women and 9 men and their food stuffs was correct. Most guys don't stop to think about just how much less a woman weighs than them. Even at the same height and roughly the same build.

I'm going to try to organize something of a 'strong person' competition in one of the upcoming legs. Each team nominates their top guy or gal to do a mix of crossfit-style and straight powerlifting moves. Obviously not too strenuous. We don't wanna break 'em.

I'm going to try to organize something of a 'strong person' competition in one of the upcoming legs. Each team nominates their top guy or gal to do a mix of crossfit-style and straight powerlifting moves. Obviously not too strenuous. We don't wanna break 'em.

The most number of burpees in 4 mins.

The most number of burpees in 4 mins.

....the most # of bubble-teas in Sanya,, or a chowmein eating contest the day they land :)

chow-mein-panda-express-style.jpg

Lots of videos going up on youtube.com/blocksail.

Anderson Reggio with a full Leg 3 course description and maps, Bouwe, Carolijn, Sally, more.

Lots of videos going up on youtube.com/blocksail.

Anderson Reggio with a full Leg 3 course description and maps, Bouwe, Carolijn, Sally, more.

...other than giving us ~50 pages of youtube files,,,I'm not seeing anything 'new' there :mellow::huh::wacko:

post-3217-0-21670800-1420183839.png

...probably better to drop some linky's ;)

VOR site:

That's why it didn't come as a surprise to me, you really sense his hunger to crack it this time.

---------

Dee Caffari

Was down there at Christmas with my folks. Wouldn't catch me going in for a dip! Brrrrrr

Clean and I are getting ready to go do a "dock walk". The village is nicely filling up with people. Good crowd today.

Was down there at Christmas with my folks. Wouldn't catch me going in for a dip! Brrrrrr

...mad dogs and englishmen seem to like cold water too! :rolleyes:

...mad dogs and englishmen seem to like cold water too! :rolleyes:

My dog doesn't! Scared himself barking at and then jumping over a wave and straight into deep water. Not the brightest sometimes but he's only a pup!

1. "Everyone who watches the race today will see how everyone grinds, it's very physical. We give it everything." - Sam Davies, @team_sca

2. @volvooceanrace @team_sca ...yep...those SCA gals definitely know how to grind!! :mellow: :rolleyes:

....youtube, alan block.......(not blocksail)

..dockwalk..

chat with mr Casual......

weather report....'bit of chill,,not likely seabreeze.....could be downwind start'..for today,,some specs of tomorrow's start

Heading out for the import race on a presser boat. Clean is on the TV boat.

I expect an AP for a bit. Winds are light. Very light at the moment. Sea breeze should start filling soon. By 1300 usually but it's late. It's probably 3-5kts at the mo.

Clean's dock walk.

Yes and that Alan guy was a great commenter too.

I loved how Knut didn't mention SA. Then again SA isn't a sponser.

Still it would be awesome just to get asked to be respected enough to get asked to comment a second time.

Yes and that Alan guy was a great commenter too.

I loved how Knut didn't mention SA. Then again SA isn't a sponser.

..some funds might actually go the other direction (?)

AP still up. Little bit of breeze on the water. Maybe 3 kts. Forecast shows it always goes right but local JBSF knowledge says left is favored on the first beat until the sea breeze settles in about an hour later.

Local knowledge guy. What happens when the sea breeze is late

Suckiness. Late usually means it stays weak and fluky.

It is definitely picking up. May 5-6 now. I'm hanging out at the start line. So it's hard to tell what it looks like further out by the Windward Mark

...postponed to 2:45 now...very drifty,,maybe some hope in the distance :mellow:

Close
B6Vn7OAIMAA9hVv.jpg
Previous
....the gals are doing a wind dance!

It lets not glass. But it wouldn't be fun.

Wind is picking up. Should be soon once they clear all the dumbass spectator boats out of the start line. Idiots!

Wind is picking up. Should be soon once they clear all the dumbass spectator boats out of the start line. Idiots!

6-7kts now maybe

6-7kts now maybe

...postponed to 15:00 now...and comment from Bouwe....

@brunelsailing Skipper Bouwe Bekking hopped off VO65 onto motorboat to commentate! "Can't wait too long or tide is too low to enter harbour"

Definitely more breeze out by to top mark.

As I said.... The later it comes in the more unsettled it is. Wind has practically shut off again. Occasional puffs then it dies.

There is something about Friday's here.... Friday is everyone else's Sat in the world. So Friday is out usual racing day. It's maddening .... All week there is great breeze but Friday on race day.... Light light light. It's like Allah doesn't like infidels to get to plane downwind or something.

Quick, someone make a sacrifice to the wind gods. Anyone have any Virgins on hand?

Quick, someone make a sacrifice to the wind gods. Anyone have any Virgins on hand?

..isn't it sheep,goats now? :mellow::huh:

here y'go!..... dsc07320.jpg

Wind is coming back. I think this is it this time. Last and final fill. Inshallah.

Yep. Wind filled across the course. The are dragging the pin again.

Yep. Wind filled across the course. The are dragging the pin again.

It's gonr left.

Wind is coming back. I think this is it this time. Last and final fill. Inshallah.

...th'sheep worked!...they're getting desperate really close.

There is a 400lb dude sitting on the back of DF. They are not going to go fast in this light air with that on the stern.

Just dropped the pin

Ap down. 10 min start

Looks like everyone wants the pin.

SCAh nicely ahead at 1st Leeward,,125m ahead of Brunel ...50m AbaD,,,,50m Dong,,,alvi,,,,and Mapfre spat the dummy again,,450 685mDTL

...last windward SCA 200m to Brunel........mapfre 850m behind same positions otherwise

I think Xabi was once the skipper of a vaurien... But I can't confirm it.

Seriously, I don't think he's ever been skipper on a real race

About to start the last upwind leg. SCA crushed! 15 boat lengths min

I love that the girls have won in Abu Dhabi... Maybe they'll let women drive cars now

SCAh,,,200m,,,Brunel,,,, Abbu,,,,,,Dong,,,,Alvi,,,,,,and Mapfre gets more stunning practice at giving away the lead

I chatted with IW along side as they were motoring in. He said he got a good start and was in a controlling position out to the left. He said SCA had the worst start and got lucky being forced to tack right. Same with Brunel who had the 2nd worst start and also benefitted from the right. IW said the wind even went left. There must have been better pressure right. Once SCA got that pressure, they were gone.

How's that for an SA exclusve? IW interview before they get back to the dock :-)

I chatted with IW along side as they were motoring in. He said he got a good start and was in a controlling position out to the left. He said SCA had the worst start and got lucky being forced to tack right. Same with Brunel who had the 2nd worst start and also benefitted from the right. IW said the wind even went left. There must have been better pressure right. Once SCA got that pressure, they were gone.

How's that for an SA exclusve? IW interview before they get back to the dock :-)

....yes,,but IW knew it would be favored right for current,,,I guess the lead boats didn't feel they could afford the extra tack!

...yes there was word of better pressure

it seems the replay works...

...CWAPP!!...it's 4:45 am here :wacko: ......might as well have another beer :)

Nice JB.

I wish I hadn't fallen asleep listening to the commentators waiting for the postponement flag to drop. I had weird dreams for that hour.