Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Mom

Abu Dhabi Stopover

Pics from the In Port race coming up in a moment...... I was out on a press boat with an idiot driver. Didn't speak a word of Engrish and his only throttle settings were OFF and ON. I was trying to get perfectly position at the pin for the start but we were not were I wanted to be. Karissa, our media minder did a great job trying to corral him, but it was painful. She finally said F it and just drove herself. Much better.

Cool race. Standard light air frustrating day. Crap shoot as always. Not to take anything from the girls on SCA, but they lucked into that. They were buried at the start and spit out by ADOR and forced to tack out early. Only DF seemed to have a worse start. Brunel didn't do well either. IW got the start he wanted. Out by the pin but in a controlling windward position where he could tack back right when he wanted. Mapfre had a perfect start at the pin but was controlled by ADOR because he couldn't tack until AD tacked.

At first, from my vantage, it looked like Alvi was actually doing well being just to windward of ADOR. But they just didn't have the boatspeed that ADOR had and when IW tacked, they were crossing Alvi. Alvi tacked also to keep from crossing behind AD and ADOR just rolled them and never looked back.

At first everyone who went left (AD, Alvi and Mapfre) looked great. But then we got up to the top mark to wait for the boats and it was immediately obvious SCA and Brunel made out HUGE. Big gains out to the right. I still think it was pressure more than current. Current in Abu Dhabi is almost negligible. Not insignificant, but it didn't account for that big of a lead in half a leg.

And again, not to take away from SCA - they sailed well and deserved the win. They sailed cleanly, got around the marks well and extended their lead - so it was totally legit. But the word on the street is IW was a bit "miffed" that they lucked into nice shift or pressure on the other side after getting spit out the back. But hey - that's light air racing. We've all been there. Sorry Ian - I'd rather be lucky than good. ;)

Yes and that Alan guy was a great commenter too.

I loved how Knut didn't mention SA. Then again SA isn't a sponser.

Still it would be awesome just to get asked to be respected enough to get asked to comment a second time.

The respect is great, the travel sucks, and the pay is pretty good.

Best dock talk yet. You should always have a cameraman.

Clean gave me shit for my camera work early on. But I think I did OK on that video.

Good job keeping up with him while he plows through everyone else's on-camera interviews to show the repaired boat. Where you using your Cannon? Thanks for all the photos too.

Caption contest material?

IMG_6247_zps09c1561c.jpg

IMG_6252_zpsd33ceff5.jpg

IMG_6267_zps0d37bddc.jpg

IMG_6273_zps44cc9f7a.jpg

BTW - IW's camel was having a major Hissy fit. I wish I had video.... it was hilarious. Ian couldn't get off quick enough.

IMG_6274_zps74b70d1e.jpg

Mr Calm and cool Bouwe....

Clean gave me shit for my camera work early on. But I think I did OK on that video.

Good job keeping up with him while he plows through everyone else's on-camera interviews to show the repaired boat. Where you using your Cannon? Thanks for all the photos too.

Nope. It was Clean's iPhone.

It's not the race, moron. It's Youtube. But it's up.

The live recording is now public and working in Germany. (All live streams are unavailable in Germany due to an old royalty conflict.)

Good that they now use the In Port Races for tie breaking all the time. Makes much more sense this way.

Pre-race focus...

IMG_6282_zps233955e1.jpg

IMG_6284_zps32f40304.jpg

IMG_6298_zps24145779.jpg

Love the Azzam sail

IMG_6309_zpsad6f9fee.jpg

Drifting....

IMG_6353_zps9abd7b43.jpg

IMG_6348_zps18caa5fa.jpg

Clean getting his war face on.....

IMG_6367_zps86c493bd.jpg

IMG_6374_zps339dba86.jpg

Light air drifting waiting for the AP flag down........ Keep waiting...

IMG_6384_zps8fa4164c.jpg

IMG_6385_zps6aebc8c8.jpg

IMG_6388_zps7b1b7c49.jpg

Bouwe checking Sailing Anarchy for JBSF updates???

IMG_6398_zpsee4c9043.jpg

IMG_6411_zps1c0cf4cb.jpg

IMG_6406_zps1a6a9fa8.jpg

Lots of spectator boats

IMG_6428_zps91b9d26b.jpg

IMG_6423_zps20d5c104.jpg

IMG_6424_zps0545ab16.jpg

JB and Clean, appreciate all the coverage and commentary. Great work. Watching it now.

Noticed Salty put on a bit of a gut. Glad Knut brought up the necessity of sail stacking and "bow down trim" in light air (900kg) something Comanche was forbidden to do.

There is a 400lb dude sitting on the back of DF. They are not going to go fast in this light air with that on the stern.

IMG_6451_zps92bae784.jpg

Cool race. Standard light air frustrating day. Crap shoot as always. Not to take anything from the girls on SCA, but they lucked into that. They were buried at the start and spit out by ADOR and forced to tack out early. Only DF seemed to have a worse start. Brunel didn't do well either. IW got the start he wanted. Out by the pin but in a controlling windward position where he could tack back right when he wanted. Mapfre had a perfect start at the pin but was controlled by ADOR because he couldn't tack until AD tacked.

At first, from my vantage, it looked like Alvi was actually doing well being just to windward of ADOR. But they just didn't have the boatspeed that ADOR had and when IW tacked, they were crossing Alvi. Alvi tacked also to keep from crossing behind AD and ADOR just rolled them and never looked back.

At first everyone who went left (AD, Alvi and Mapfre) looked great. But then we got up to the top mark to wait for the boats and it was immediately obvious SCA and Brunel made out HUGE. Big gains out to the right. I still think it was pressure more than current. Current in Abu Dhabi is almost negligible. Not insignificant, but it didn't account for that big of a lead in half a leg.

And again, not to take away from SCA - they sailed well and deserved the win. They sailed cleanly, got around the marks well and extended their lead - so it was totally legit. But the word on the street is IW was a bit "miffed" that they lucked into nice shift or pressure on the other side after getting spit out the back. But hey - that's light air racing. We've all been there. Sorry Ian - I'd rather be lucky than good. ;)

Sally wanted the right from the beginning, and had planned on a Port tack start but could not get it. SO, yes there was a bit of luck in being forced to go that way, but it was where they wanted to go anyway. Supposedly as soon as they crossed the start line she was calling for the tack the second they could clear Avlimedicas stern. IW talked about going that way himself in the pre race interview, and then didn't. I guess because he did not want to split from the others, and you cover the rivals near you not those way behind.

Completely agree that it looked like pressure, the boats looked way more powered up.

Great work by yourself and Clean, thanks!

The start finally

IMG_6474_zpsfdb6f4c0.jpg

IMG_6475_zps1a206325.jpg

Brunel in dirt

SCA in even worse dirt

IMG_6477_zpse6810c9f.jpg

Good job getting out early to get in clean air....

IMG_6483_zpsa0b39f86.jpg

I still think MAPFRE won the start, but it didn't work for them getting pinned to the left....

IMG_6486_zps4c6e934e.jpg

Brunel finally tacks out once SCA and DF go.

IMG_6488_zps9fc2b0bd.jpg

Alvi initially looked good

IMG_6491_zpse0b6baa7.jpg

IMG_6492_zpsc5f8da13.jpg

But then couldn't seem to hold their lane well

IMG_6494_zpsb35ebaaf.jpg

I love that the girls have won in Abu Dhabi... Maybe they'll let women drive cars now

Such ignorance.....

I know women drive in AD, I actually lived there four months, maybe I should've been more specific referring to the muslim countries where they don't....

IMG_6502_zpsf9fb0a18.jpg

ADOR rolling AlviIMG_6505_zps903accfe.jpg

IMG_6507_zpsb8b8d473.jpg

IMG_6512_zps178d3979.jpg

I love that the girls have won in Abu Dhabi... Maybe they'll let women drive cars now

Such ignorance.....

I know women drive in AD, I actually lived there four months, maybe I should've been more specific referring to the muslim countries where they don't....

Only one country doesn't and hopefully that will crack soon.

SCA coming back from the right. Big lead by this point. GO THE GIRLS!

IMG_6506_zps3d6f649a.jpg

IMG_6521_zpscf42cfe7.jpg

IMG_6523_zps020c3d41.jpg

IMG_6525_zpsde4ff8dc.jpg

IMG_6528_zpsd44fb7b2.jpg

IMG_6533_zps913caa57.jpg

IMG_6541_zps2705bb46.jpg

IMG_6545_zps1e13bfbe.jpg

IMG_6550_zps39e7cd0a.jpg

IMG_6552_zpsdf75035b.jpg

IMG_6558_zpsab1ab091.jpg

IMG_6563_zpsaf09603d.jpg

SCA stretching it out....

IMG_6565_zps0fd8c7c4.jpg

IMG_6573_zpse283a023.jpg

IMG_6576_zps219bbd8f.jpg

IMG_6595_zpse383a097.jpg

IMG_6600_zps53c883fc.jpg

Back upwind for the last time. Comfortable lead....

IMG_6615_zps9aedffef.jpg

Close mark roundings...

IMG_6628_zps435773b4.jpg

IMG_6632_zpsd0e79297.jpg

IMG_6644_zps5eeb36d0.jpg

....youtube, alan block.......(not blocksail)

chat with mr Casual......

You missed an obvious weapon on board Brunel.

Caffeinated chewing gum. It makes the boat go a whole knot faster.

Airshow during the race.....

IMG_6725_zpsbc4297e1.jpg

IMG_6819_zpsb5f8c400.jpg

IMG_6741_zps907801dd.jpg

IMG_6763_zps7e98248e.jpg

IMG_6793_zpsdc658e4c.jpg

Girls kicking ass with the Royal Palace in the background

Finish line....

IMG_6869_zps984bd363.jpg

Dejection

IMG_6921_zps3c178b1c.jpg

IMG_6948_zpsb83361e7.jpg

Elation selfie

IMG_7010_zps8522789b.jpg

IMG_7011_zps2f9f801b.jpg

IMG_7000_zpsbd66a9a8.jpg

IMG_7015_zps1711f138.jpg

IMG_7023_zpsa25b7a2f.jpg

Still it would be awesome just to get asked to be respected enough to get asked to comment a second time.

Last time, when they were commentating together in Cape Town, Knut did introduce Alan as being from SA (and I think as Mr Clean as well). No doubt, Clean is making big headway for SA here. Great job, and it is nice the way his style complements the others. Despite the technical separation between them all, they bounce off one another nicely.

...agree,,except the clown doing background commentary,,,knut corrected the guy more than once

Gotta agree with Couch re the clown - the guy has consistently been the weak link throughout the live broadcasts to date. I've never tried to do his job so I'm not making any claim I could do better but for sure he would benefit from some honest appraisal of his performance - maybe he just needs to slow down a little - It would be good for all,himself included, if he can step up - hopefully tomorrow he will do better. Good that he has Mark alongside him. Give him some honest feedback and support him methinks.

So just by way of example.....

His assertion that Mapfre won the start was tenuous and I think he also claimed that SCA were not forced to tack to port after the start. It's clear if you look at the footage that SCA were down speed because firstly they had to slow down to avoid being OCS and then they needed to try to sail in a high slow mode to avoid getting dirt from ADOR which they probably failed to do and hence the tack. Maybe SCA were planning to head right anyway, who knows?

In any case it's good to see SCA getting some glory - getting more women involved in our sport is really important (and not just for the eye candy). It's one of several ways we can widen participation.

Nice job Clean and JBSF - Will be interesting to hear Nico tomorrow.

Happy New Year from Falmouth.

....I think the only 'honest feedback' that'd work is STFU and let Mark or knut or Clean speak,,,his tendency to pontificate knowledge of sailing only portrays his ignorance over and over.

ie SCA have a 200m lead on the first leg but ''the 2 tacks they have to do will kill them'',,when they've already done one and they're 200m ahead....but then he goes on to say ''they're going to have to do a 390degree turn,that'll kill them forsure''

...it's funny,,I made a few comments about the 'idiommentator' only to realize that it's likely he's the one that was viewing comments for VO(?) :huh: hopefully live feedback as the gafffs happen might have an effect. His comments can only add confusion for new viewers,of which there were many,judging by some questions,comments there.

rogerfal...HNY back at you,,had a fun winter and NY in Falmouth sailing lasers in a regular 35-45 knots! Many happy memories of those times ;)

.....I hope you gave it right back to him,,,he was running around like a scared monkey on bennies :lol:

...your photo album above does something I haven't seen ...it's partly all those major closeups in sequence on these pages,very different than all the scrolling and hunting one does on pro-photo pages,but it really pulls me into the feeling of being there.

The only thing that would be more 'live' would be live download,,,but that would be thilly!

Not to take anything from the girls on SCA, but they lucked into that. They were buried at the start and spit out by ADOR and forced to tack out early. Only DF seemed to have a worse start. Brunel didn't do well either. IW got the start he wanted. Out by the pin but in a controlling windward position where he could tack back right when he wanted. Mapfre had a perfect start at the pin but was controlled by ADOR because he couldn't tack until AD tacked.

....again, yes there was more pressure on the right,,but I give SCA more credit than 'falling into it'.

A number of boats had shakey starts,,,,,especially Mapfre,but theirs ended up allright --they were wayyyy early,made a ~150deg dip,and were -almost- still early but also crunched by the pin,,,definitely they pulled a rabbit out of the garbage can.

...for however,whoever was not in the lead line,,,they would have done the same thing--tack off. For what was known and spoken about before the start I'm really surprised that more boats didn't peel off,except for the expense of tacking.

....I think the only 'honest feedback' that'd work is STFU and let Mark or knut or Clean speak,,,his tendency to pontificate knowledge of sailing only portrays his ignorance over and over.

ie SCA have a 200m lead on the first leg but ''the 2 tacks they have to do will kill them'',,when they've already done one and they're 200m ahead....but then he goes on to say ''they're going to have to do a 390degree turn,that'll kill them forsure''

...it's funny,,I made a few comments about the 'idiommentator' only to realize that it's likely he's the one that was viewing comments for VO(?) :huh: hopefully live feedback as the gafffs happen might have an effect. His comments can only add confusion for new viewers,of which there were many,judging by some questions,comments there.

rogerfal...HNY back at you,,had a fun winter and NY in Falmouth sailing lasers in a regular 35-45 knots! Many happy memories of those times ;)

Well to be fair about the 390 degree turn he wasn't wrong. he assumed that SCA would want to stay on the right side of the course. In order to do that they would go around the right bouy at the gate. That would be a 390 degree turn more or less.

of course that goes to show inexperience. You don't make that turn in a match race. You stretch across and make the turn at the other gate unless forced. If you want a particular side of the course you then tack/gybe back.

....oh,darrn,,,I missed my nose again!

IMG_6374_zps339dba86.jpg

The respect is great, the travel sucks, and the pay is pretty good.

...you've done well to create the position of your dreams,took a lot to get to the point of it paying well,or at all sometimes...good onya!

...maybe it's also a good example of being careful what you wish for?

GREAT, VOR fixed the Problem...I AM SOOO HAPPY :) I now can rewatch the In-Port-Race Coverage.

it. wasn't. a. problem.

...it always take some time to transfer live footage into a replay. :mellow:

There is a 400lb dude sitting on the back of DF. They are not going to go fast in this light air with that on the stern.

IMG_6451_zps92bae784.jpg

....funny,,,I mentioned your comment on twitter,,,Brunel retweeted it to Dong....those 2 teams are having a fun pissing match with each other :rolleyes::lol:

@DongfengRacing @brunelsailing ..who's the big guy on the stern?...not going t'help you!!

....ah,HA...a secret stolen from IW .....I'll bet coolhand Bouwe's just pretending so now Ian'll eat 3x as much! :rolleyes:

It's something we'll have to get used to,,

...............where sailing is indeed a sport where women can become the roosters!

Elation selfie

IMG_7010_zps8522789b.jpg

Indeed it can make it twice as humbling for the featherdusters!

Dejection

IMG_6921_zps3c178b1c.jpg

......very very good 'snaps' again JB....I hope Clean chipped you some coin on this! ;)

IMG_6451_zps92bae784.jpg

....funny,,,I mentioned your comment on twitter,,,Brunel retweeted it to Dong....those 2 teams are having a fun pissing match with each other :rolleyes::lol:

@DongfengRacing @brunelsailing ..who's the big guy on the stern?...not going t'help you!!

WIN!!!! :lol:

....ah,HA...a secret stolen from IW :rolleyes:

It's something we'll have to get used to,,

...............where sailing is indeed a sport where women can become the roosters!

Elation selfie

IMG_7010_zps8522789b.jpg

Indeed it can make it twice as humbling for the featherdusters!

Dejection

IMG_6921_zps3c178b1c.jpg

......very very good 'snaps' again JB....I hope Clean chipped you some coin on this! ;)

Trust me.... Clean made it worth my while and then some. And I didn't even have to unzip trou...... :D

.....apologies JB,,I just sent this without a photo credit-my bad! :huh::(

@team_sca Something we'll have to get used to where sailing is indeed a sport where women can become the 'roosters'!

B6XmMRRCYAADh5b.jpg

Trust me.... Clean made it worth my while and then some. And I didn't even have to unzip trou...... :D

...Clean did it for you?...as it should be! :rolleyes::lol:

GREAT, VOR fixed the Problem...I AM SOOO HAPPY :) I now can rewatch the In-Port-Race Coverage.

it. wasn't. a. problem.

...it always take some time to transfer live footage into a replay. :mellow:

IMG_6451_zps92bae784.jpg

The twitter fights between Brunel and Dong are hilarious. it is like to close friends/rivals who love to taunt each other.

Last time, when they were commentating together in Cape Town, Knut did introduce Alan as being from SA (and I think as Mr Clean as well). No doubt, Clean is making big headway for SA here. Great job, and it is nice the way his style complements the others. Despite the technical separation between them all, they bounce off one another nicely.

...agree,,except the clown doing background commentary,,,knut corrected the guy more than once

Gotta agree with Couch re the clown - the guy has consistently been the weak link throughout the live broadcasts to date. I've never tried to do his job so I'm not making any claim I could do better but for sure he would benefit from some honest appraisal of his performance - maybe he just needs to slow down a little - It would be good for all,himself included, if he can step up - hopefully tomorrow he will do better. Good that he has Mark alongside him. Give him some honest feedback and support him methinks.

So just by way of example.....

His assertion that Mapfre won the start was tenuous and I think he also claimed that SCA were not forced to tack to port after the start. It's clear if you look at the footage that SCA were down speed because firstly they had to slow down to avoid being OCS and then they needed to try to sail in a high slow mode to avoid getting dirt from ADOR which they probably failed to do and hence the tack. Maybe SCA were planning to head right anyway, who knows?

In any case it's good to see SCA getting some glory - getting more women involved in our sport is really important (and not just for the eye candy). It's one of several ways we can widen participation.

Nice job Clean and JBSF - Will be interesting to hear Nico tomorrow.

Happy New Year from Falmouth.

Hey Couch - Just to be clear which Falmouth? - mine is across the Tamar (river separating Cornwall from Devon) from England.

Also having reviewed the footage I might have attributed remarks made by Mark to the clown but even so.....

ADOR nailed that start and if SCA had intended to go right why did they not just start on port - perhaps they saw a lane slightly up the track.... Will only truly know the answers if the sailors esp the tacticians give us straight/ honest feedback.

Stating the obvious as it stands so far the English Arabs and the Netherlanders are the cream of the crop with the French Chinese a fag (cigarette) paper just behind - however lots of racing to go yet.....

All very compelling though so I'm happy

Hey Couch - Just to be clear which Falmouth? - mine is across the Tamar (river separating Cornwall from Devon) from England.

Also having reviewed the footage I might have attributed remarks made by Mark to the clown but even so.....

ADOR nailed that start and if SCA had intended to go right why did they not just start on port - perhaps they saw a lane slightly up the track.... Will only truly know the answers if the sailors esp the tacticians give us straight/ honest feedback.

Stating the obvious as it stands so far the English Arabs and the Netherlanders are the cream of the crop with the French Chinese a fag (cigarette) paper just behind - however lots of racing to go yet.....

All very compelling though so I'm happy

.....heh,,how many of us have been 'forced' to tack to the direction we had wished to go,only to find ourselves to be spat out into the lead at one time or another...it's yacht racing after all,you're allowed to claim the good as well as the umm not so good :mellow:

....yop,,Falmouth Cornwall it was ...wish I could remember some pub names, but it was rather a while ago,,I went back the winter after the worlds were there ;)

Re SCA crew changes. Good to hear no apparent politics over Liz's departure, Kudos to Clean for getting the perspective.

.......^^...although there's likely a few other details to cover,,I have the impression that things are coming together for SCA...

...a step at a time ;)

Nope, one girl on SCA was interviewed as soon as they hit the dock and they admitted that was not exactly their plan to go right off the start but that it worked out for them.

I was told by a few of them that they were always looking to the right side, they just ended up late to the start because of the current.

I was told by a few of them that they were always looking to the right side, they just ended up late to the start because of the current.

Ah, didn't hear that. Good for them! As I said, they totally earned that race. They had good boatspeed and executed flawlessly from what I saw.

.......^^...although there's likely a few other details to cover,,I have the impression that things are coming together for SCA...

...a step at a time ;)

I will say one thing, their elation, enthusiasm and morale after the in-port win was genuine. It looked to me like they got the monkey off their back and have put the last two legs behind them. My better half (also a hardcore racer who skippers an all-female OD team) was on SCA during the practice day om Wednesday. Her immediate sense from the moment she stepped on the boat at the dock until they crossed the finish line was total focus and concentration. She said they are here to win it, not just to be "also-rans" or a novelty. I'm really hoping they carry this win and enthusiasm over to leg 3 and beyond.

Interestingly, if they are in touch or hopefully leading when they get to the Malacca straights - short tacking through the channel will be more like an inshore race and they might do very well there. That section will definitely put a premium on crew work and maneuvers.

Such ignorance.....

Yep, they drive here. But honestly I wish they wouldn't. They are the worst drivers in the world followed closely by the arab men. The guys are just entitled pricks who have no concern for anyone else and if you are in their way you will get pushed aside. The women are just clueless with zero awareness of anyone around them. They will change lanes without looking and are oblivious because they have their face buried in their Samsung tablet phone. The head veil also kills any peripheral vision. I don't say that to be misogynistic.... they are just terrible drivers who have grown up in a pampered lifestyle where they are no held accountable for anything.

Such ignorance.....

Yep, they drive here. But honestly I wish they wouldn't. They are the worst drivers in the world followed closely by the arab men. The guys are just entitled pricks who have no concern for anyone else and if you are in their way you will get pushed aside. The women are just clueless with zero awareness of anyone around them. They will change lanes without looking and are oblivious because they have their face buried in their Samsung tablet phone. The head veil also kills any peripheral vision. I don't say that to be misogynistic.... they are just terrible drivers who have grown up in a pampered lifestyle where they are no held accountable for anything.

Unless you haven't been to Qatar yet!! That place beats anywhere hands down for entitled pricks on the roads- so much so that they are referred to as 'Qatards' for simplicity.

Anyhoo- the fog is finally starting to burn up here in Ab Dab and the sun is peeking through so we may start to see a bit of wind fill in. If not, I'm going to the mall next door to watch a movie as the village is a bit boring! And there's no booze today until 6pm......

.....(1))..... She said they are here to win it, not just to be "also-rans" or a novelty. 2))...I'm really hoping they carry this win and enthusiasm over to leg 3 and beyond.

...(3)....Interestingly, if they are in touch or hopefully leading when they get to the Malacca straights - short tacking through the channel will be more like an inshore race and they might do very well there. That section will definitely put a premium on crew work and maneuvers.

(1) is pretty clear forsure.

(2)It's also clear SCA are on the grind,moving forwards.

(3)...short course maneuvers is what I had thought would be the weak area for SCA,,a place where crew #'s doesn't equate to equal grinder power...I'm really impressed with what they've done ,especially in Capetown's windy shortcourses.

Anyhoo- the fog is finally starting to burn up here in Ab Dab and the sun is peeking through so we may start to see a bit of wind fill in. If not, I'm going to the mall next door to watch a movie as the village is a bit boring! And there's no booze today until 6pm......

Ah that explains why I couldn't get a beer after coming off the water. What's occasion?

Ah that explains why I couldn't get a beer after coming off the water. What's occasion?

It was the prophet's birthday today so no booze from sundown yesterday until sundown today- all back to normal tonight, hic.....

....^^...ahh yes....happy 'Jashne eid Milad al Nabi',,peace be upon him ...I hope the lack of booze didn't cause too much cussing...that'd be a sad irony! :rolleyes:

.....Interesting that Brunel popped for a replacement sail already,,sorta smart to ave a freshie for light stuff this leg.......was it A3 or code0?

......thanks for coverage and shots JB,,have a good econoflight with fatbastard,,Clean

fat_bastard-166911.jpg

Econo flight??? My econo flight will be a 20 min drive home and then cocktails immediately upon arrival.

sorry for the confusing sentence,,,the second half was for Clean!

Is Mr. Clean @ all stopovers?

No deal made at the moment. Feel free to let VOR know if you think I should be!

I am disappointed in our coverage today. We could have done a lot better for you all.

I think you made a huge difference to the stopover here and the VOR would be stupid not to bring you to the other events. I thought your "Mr Clean's Notebook" i.e. dock walk was impressive. It was fun to watch you work. I'm looking forward to the Wouter interview. I think the fans are gonna like that one......

Leg 3 start Pics are coming up in a few mins......

...JB,,it's okay to say what you really feel,,you're not on 'payroll' anymore.

..again,,thanks for the great ''sailor's eye'' coverage

Used to work on traditonal Sailing Barges as a shipsmate years ago and trying to get one in Scheveningen for the pitstop. klippereensgezindheid.jpg

......wow,beautiful boat,,imagine that beastie in all carbon!

Truth is, anyone who wants to help out just has to get in touch. I can't promise I'll get you out on a race boat, but if you get in early and you have something you're good at, whether shooting pics like Jeff or setting up interviews or driving me around etc., I promise you'll have a good time (and probably get out on a race boat if you're one of the first who responds).

Anyway, it's Clean@sailinganarchy.com for all that noise.

Didn't Couch already throw his hat in the ring for Newport?

.....yes,,,,I've definitely got dibs,,but contractual negotiations are ongoing. Clean seems to be balking over the 5 star hotel at the moment,,just imagine! <_<

Gonna add a selfie for the CV? :lol:

......JB's th'MAN!! good onya!

Me driving..... about to roll Alvimedica :D

IMG_6191_zpse0c63e9b.jpg

....^^...ahh yes....happy 'Jashne eid Milad al Nabi',,peace be upon him ...I hope the lack of booze didn't cause too much cussing...that'd be a sad irony! :rolleyes:

Didn't stop the entire Boatyard and VOR staff from a solid pissup at the irish bar PJ's. Not sure how I am still typing right now. PUI and now I am going to sleep!

......^^...'ave another on me Clean! ..I hope yourhangover seatmate's better than the one above :);)

ahh,,there was a jumper on SCAh afterall...a nice backflip if you clicky th'link....prolly not a good suggestion for Clean at the moment :huh:

..anyone know how to make the loop go in reverse? :rolleyes:

Thanks to Ibtisam Al Salmi from @omansail who jumped in style today after the leg start #vor #omansail #tea...

proxy.jpg?t=HBiUAWh0dHBzOi8vdi5jZG4udmlu

Not feeling great, but our driver this week - a local sailor named Perry from the Abu Dhabi sailing club, promised me a ride in his one-of-a-kind '85 RUF Carerra 911. Apparently, speed limits are more of a suggestion here, and that car was one of the first I fell in love with as a 13 year old boy.

Now I need to find my vicodin.

Not feeling great, but our driver this week - a local sailor named Perry from the Abu Dhabi sailing club, promised me a ride in his one-of-a-kind '85 RUF Carerra 911. Apparently, speed limits are more of a suggestion here, and that car was one of the first I fell in love with as a 13 year old boy.

Now I need to find my vicodin.

Perry's RUF is pretty sweet!

fuck you dude! Spent the arvo drinking with Boagie and learning about the Emirates history and being convinced that AD wasn't just one giant mall. Got to the airport so drunk that i dropped 5500 dirhams on a biz class upgrade. Wife's gonna be pissed, and right now I am happy as fuck. Taxiing and the stews don't give a fuck if I'm on the computer, probably wouldn't bat an eye if I whipped it out and started playing billiards on the flip out table. Sleepy time!

a million thanks to Jeff for doing a great fucking job. Plenty to learn about shooting and editing, but on a good track with a solid eye. And his girl? Holy fuck you have punched way above your weight homeboy.

Keep your eyes out on the front page tomorrow for a great piece from her on sailing with the SCA chicks, a great piece from Jen on the BWR, and a great piece from me on...well, who knows but it will be great!

;)

fuck you dude! Spent the arvo drinking with Boagie and learning about the Emirates history and being convinced that AD wasn't just one giant mall. Got to the airport so drunk that i dropped 5500 dirhams on a biz class upgrade. Wife's gonna be pissed, and right now I am happy as fuck. Taxiing and the stews don't give a fuck if I'm on the computer, probably wouldn't bat an eye if I whipped it out and started playing billiards on the flip out table. Sleepy time!

a million thanks to Jeff for doing a great fucking job. Plenty to learn about shooting and editing, but on a good track with a solid eye. And his girl? Holy fuck you have punched way above your weight homeboy.

Keep your eyes out on the front page tomorrow for a great piece from her on sailing with the SCA chicks, a great piece from Jen on the BWR, and a great piece from me on...well, who knows but it will be great!

;)

Haha, yes I am punching WELL above my weight class with her. Had you not ignored my email yesterday before you went to the airport, I was gonna let you drive my 911 Turbo and I would have "borrowed" her Boxster S.... and you, me and Perry could have gone Porsche racing around the city.

And Etihad Biz class is pretty fucking sweet, isn't it? If you liked that, try first one of these times. HO LEE FUK! The stews are not hard on the eyes either. There have been times I was convinced they were up for a threesome when my girl and I flew together. But likely only because she's so hot. ;) Definitely wasn't me.....

Used to work on traditonal Sailing Barges as a shipsmate years ago and trying to get one in Scheveningen for the pitstop. klippereensgezindheid.jpg

......wow,beautiful boat,,imagine that beastie in all carbon!

Truth is, anyone who wants to help out just has to get in touch. I can't promise I'll get you out on a race boat, but if you get in early and you have something you're good at, whether shooting pics like Jeff or setting up interviews or driving me around etc., I promise you'll have a good time (and probably get out on a race boat if you're one of the first who responds).

Anyway, it's Clean@sailinganarchy.com for all that noise.

Didn't Couch already throw his hat in the ring for Newport?

.....yes,,,,I've definitely got dibs,,but contractual negotiations are ongoing. Clean seems to be balking over the 5 star hotel at the moment,,just imagine! <_<

LOL All Carbon... Right.. That beauty is from 1899 and designed to transport manure, fast at 13 knots though...

And epic to sail. Nowadays it sleeps 24 quests with 2 crew. Loved it to bits. Trying to get one in the Hague to sleep and party on. Good marketing for the owner... Anyone maybe interested?

;)

Sounds like shitloads of fun! A job wel done.

No go for the Clippers, no clasification for the North Sea.

This one can. Anyone interested?

0027.jpg

Just pulled the card from my little point and shoot and found these snaps I forgot I took. Nothing special, just to add to the others!

post-3736-0-53094300-1421239828_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-89756300-1421239847_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-93991300-1421239872_thumb.jpg

The air force pilots put on a great show after the start as we motored back in. Covered the city in coloured smoke and also did one of those stalls in mid-air when they are climbing.

post-3736-0-51000000-1421239966_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-24034400-1421239978_thumb.jpg

Slackline challenge attempt 1 now posted. No YT video yet. Cool 1/2 time show.

http://www.teamalvimedica.com/news/every-step-was-a-leap-into-the-unknown/

.....SICK! :mellow::blink::o

http://www.redbull.com/en/adventure/stories/1331701035506/a-slackline-between-2-boats

Couch, is there a way to embed that video in this forum? I've fiddled with the 'embed" and other tags, but no luck.

Couch, is there a way to embed that video in this forum? I've fiddled with the 'embed" and other tags, but no luck.

...if there is,,it's beyond me. :mellow:

...probably something about redbull that makes it necessary to view through their website?

.......I'm glad I didn't have breakfast and my 'depends' were still on when I saw that :rolleyes:

...if there is,,it's beyond me. :mellow:

...probably something about redbull that makes it necessary to view through their website?

.......I'm glad I didn't have breakfast and my 'depends' were still on when I saw that :rolleyes:

Thanks. Figured as much, but wanted to check.

The video and a write-up is now on the VOR site http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/8381_A-leap-into-the-unknown.html but that too doesn't allow getting the url.

Anyway, looking forward to the next attempt (probably in the Sanya stopover).

Anyway, looking forward to the next attempt (probably in the Sanya stopover).

....yeh,,,real men don't use safety lines! :):ph34r:

great photos JBSF from the stopover. I only made it over from oman as they were arriving. work got in the way <_<