Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Mom

Abu Dhabi Stopover

Clean said "I'll delete any Leg 3 thread made before the leg ends, but will not delete a thread called Abu Dhabi Stopover, even if someone puts it up now."

I concur with the sentiment that each leg's thread should be focused on the leg, not the re-hash of the prior leg, the crew and boat changes ashore, and the in-port race. But I also understand why Clean doesn't want a Leg 3 thread to start before Leg 2 leaves Cape Town, and also why he doesn't want to screw around with re-naming the Leg 2 thread.

So... for whenever people start feeling like talking about anything that will happen IN ABU DHABI before Leg 3 actually starts, please use this thread for your commentary.

I'd propose that the official Leg 3 thread should be initiated 24 hours before the actual start of Leg 3.

(I'm also inclined to suggest that at some point, we should start a fresh VORG thread, one per leg, but I guess we can go on for 9 months in one VORG thread if that's the consensus preference)

Anyone know/hope/want the live tracker to be up for the in-port race?

The TV coverage is nice for the leaders, but I like to replay and study the in-port race so I can follow the other boats.

Yeah, I'm following Mapfre and Vestas, and it isn't even Lent yet.

I'll be there and will take lots of pics with my new 60D when they arrive if I can find a boat to go out on. I may have to invest in a longer lens to get some close ups......

....... I may have to invest in a longer lens to get some close ups......

.....yes,,sounds like an essential. :)

Indeed. You have our permission to spend big.

Hi guys, I'll be in Dubai with my gf for new year, so I intend to make the trip to AD for the in-port and/or the start on 2/3 Jan.

I am hoping that there won't be too much local crowd interested, hence the opportunity to get closer to boats/crews.

Anybody has tips on how to best use my time there (I have never been at a VOR stop over before, or in AD)?

Even better, anyone knows how to get on the water?

C.

Hi guys, I'll be in Dubai with my gf for new year, so I intend to make the trip to AD for the in-port and/or the start on 2/3 Jan.

I am hoping that there won't be too much local crowd interested, hence the opportunity to get closer to boats/crews.

Anybody has tips on how to best use my time there (I have never been at a VOR stop over before, or in AD)?

C.

Was in AD for the last stopover and it was pretty well attended. Less by "local arabs" mostly by local expats who outnumber the arabs 2-1. Lots of people flew into town for it as well.

Best thing to do is go see the stopover village. It was a nice set up and fairly intimate to the boats. They have some decent stuff to see up close. You can also be there for the in port race and the departure. I have friends with boats to go out on, but I'm sure there are spectator boats you can get on as well. I'll see if I can find out how, when, how much, etc. and let you know. Its well worth coming down for the event.

Great... my wallet already hates you.

C.

Was in AD for the last stopover and it was pretty well attended. Less by "local arabs" mostly by local expats who outnumber the arabs 2-1. Lots of people flew into town for it as well.

Best thing to do is go see the stopover village. It was a nice set up and fairly intimate to the boats. They have some decent stuff to see up close. You can also be there for the in port race and the departure. I have friends with boats to go out on, but I'm sure there are spectator boats you can get on as well. I'll see if I can find out how, when, how much, etc. and let you know. Its well worth coming down for the event.

Great, thank you.

Looking forward to it!

C.

....you know you've wanted this a long time,,,,and you'll win our undying love demands for more and better pictures.

....and after you win that spot on AbbaDoobi,,,elbow the OBR and get a job for leg 3,,,you'll know you did th'right thing!

...........what more is there to life!? :rolleyes:

....you know you've wanted this a long time,,,,and you'll win our undying love demands for more and better pictures.

....and after you win that spot on AbbaDoobi,,,elbow the OBR and get a job for leg 3,,,you'll know you did th'right thing!

...........what more is there to life!? :rolleyes:

While it may be a once in a lifetime chance and as much as I love sailing - I'd have to think REALLY hard about spending 3+ weeks in a washing machine that probably smells like ass about 4 hours after the start. A few days would be cool, maybe a week at most. but I don't think I'd enjoy it for that long. I'd think about it really hard though.

YOU SUCK! I think I took your permission far too much to heart :o

YOU SUCK! I think I took your permission far too much to heart :o

.........make sure yer get lots of practice with th'new lens.

. ...do you have 'adequate' kit for your otw livestreaming yet?? :mellow:

Hey Clean,

If you do come to Abu Dhabi after all, I'll be happy to be your dedicated photog for the SA front page photos. I'd like to put the new "L" glass to good use.

I'm hoping to get out on a boat to get some arrival photos as they come into port. I'm hoping its NOT going to be the weekend of the 12-13 of Dec. I'm doing a two day regatta in Dubai on those days.

Hey Clean,

If you do come to Abu Dhabi after all, I'll be happy to be your dedicated photog for the SA front page photos. I'd like to put the new "L" glass to good use.

I'm hoping to get out on a boat to get some arrival photos as they come into port. I'm hoping its NOT going to be the weekend of the 12-13 of Dec. I'm doing a two day regatta in Dubai on those days.

excellent. will advise. And obviously will get you a ride!

.......good stuff... I volunteer for Newport...

...just make sure there's a good couch on the support boat and a place to post my pink flag! :):rolleyes:

I'd like to put the new "L" glass to good use.

Glad to see you took our permission to heart. :)

My wallet wants to choke you! ;)

Hey Clean, how's your AD plans shaping up?

See ya on the 30th. Wanna play cameraman? You do have L glass, right?

Really?

.......good stuff... I volunteer for Newport...

...that's right,,no problem...

....just make sure there's a good couch on the support boat ,a place to post my pink flag and a nice room close to the harbor. Economy tickets are acceptable, I know times are tight :) ;)

Yep. Email sent. I may wonder down to the VOR village today and get some shots of the boats that are in and maybe see Alvi arrive. I was racing a regatta this weekend in Dubai and couldn't make it to see the 1st three boats arrive.

What is L glass ? Halal glass ? :mellow:

...I think it's a type of bong. :mellow:

...I think it's a type of bong. :mellow:

Correct, although technically its called a Sheesha pipe here. ;)

...N00bs... (And one playing along. :lol: )

Professional camera gear. In this case Canon "L" lenses. Nice but pricey.

Ever seen large off white lenses with red ring at the front? Those, easy to spot. The smaller ones are black with red ring.

Other brands have similar lines of professional gear, not as obvious to spot, occasionally even more outrageously priced.

Red ring = Canon L, Gold ring - Nikon ED. Although the precise lens design varies, it basically means a lens that is made from lots of very expensive high tech glass, typically glass made with rare-earths. You get much better Abbe Numbers, and consequently can make lenses with vastly less chromatic aberration, and also have freedom to optimise all sort of other nice things. Cheap end of the market lenses may be mostly plastic. L and ED glass basically means as good a lens as one can make in that configuration. In addition to Canon L and Nikon ED, anything with Zeiss or Leica written on the lens. But between them, Canon and Nikon have the sports pro market sewn up.

Some stopover shots......

IMG_3935_zps96a0f49d.jpg

IMG_3955_zps8af13fdf.jpg

WTF, the race is over - why are you making us grind at the dock???

IMG_3963_zps836afe35.jpg

Ah, I get it now.....

IMG_3985_zps0467a43d.jpg

Local kids having fun

IMG_3989_zps214424d5.jpg

IMG_4009_zpsd4fcf480.jpg

"Holy shit.... I think that's JB - I need to go meet him and take him sailing with me on Azzam during the Pro-Am race" said ian Walker never..... :lol:

IMG_4010_zps19cfcaee.jpg

House cleaning

IMG_4012_zps780c13ab.jpg

IMG_4025_zps3db1f5c8.jpg

IMG_4028_zps4611ac0f.jpg

IMG_4029_zpscd96d234.jpg

IMG_4039_zps7932d8d1.jpg

IMG_4097_zpsc8a67dbd.jpg

IMG_4102_zpse11c083d.jpg

IMG_4102_zpse11c083d.jpg

IMG_4108_zps8c9edfda.jpg

And a plug for Dry UV shirts from Dry Armor.....

IMG_4116_zps13b87ebe.jpg

Red ring = Canon L, Gold ring - Nikon ED. Although the precise lens design varies, it basically means a lens that is made from lots of very expensive high tech glass, typically glass made with rare-earths. You get much better Abbe Numbers, and consequently can make lenses with vastly less chromatic aberration, and also have freedom to optimise all sort of other nice things. Cheap end of the market lenses may be mostly plastic. L and ED glass basically means as good a lens as one can make in that configuration. In addition to Canon L and Nikon ED, anything with Zeiss or Leica written on the lens. But between them, Canon and Nikon have the sports pro market sewn up.

Yep. Dad spent $12k on a new Nikon lens for his birthday last year.

The original round the world racer......

IMG_4135_zps9423603f.jpg

IMG_4162_zps63513957.jpg

IMG_4505_zps6e442a9e.jpg

IMG_4508_zps7afed32e.jpg

IMG_4523_zps417d801d.jpg

Yeah, lovely pics. See, that glass was worth it. Would we ever steer you wrong? :D (OK, don't answer that.)

You really have ask why the VOR office can't do as good a job. Maybe they are still drinking the crop to purpose kool aid.

Yeah, lovely pics. See, that glass was worth it. Would we ever steer you wrong? :D (OK, don't answer that.)

You really have ask why the VOR office can't do as good a job. Maybe they are still drinking the crop to purpose kool aid.

Yeah, that L Glass lens is the SHIZZLE!

....great stuff JB.....methinks IW would be making a sad mistake to leave you onshore during the in-ports! :);)

Hopefully bump into some of you guys in AD. I arrive 22 but gonna dodge down to have a look at Dubai as not much happening in the village over Christmas as many of the sailors are taking a well earned break. Hope to get on the water myself as have accreditation and friends in a couple of the teams.

Last Sanya stopover I drove the VOR photo RIB and it doesn't get you much closer to the action than that, I couldn't believe how much kit Ian & Paul took out on the water with them including lenses that looked more like cannon than Canon.

Also gonna be in Sanya, Auckland and Newport, can't afford the time to visit them all. Use Nikon myself, I agree with Francis that between them and Canon have the sports photography scene pretty much sewn up but our boats gets too much of my fun money to allow for 12 grand lenses :unsure:.

See ya on the water (hopefully literally)

SS

Some more pic from the VOR Village.....

This is one helluva drone:

IMG_3994_zps0f88339c.jpg

IMG_3996_zpsf81b4b1f.jpg

And the boats weren't the only interesting scenery to look at....

IMG_4060_zps6e84e311.jpg

IMG_4062_zps59bd5f2e.jpg

IMG_4065_zps2e5d4d2e.jpg

IMG_4066_zps3442cb7d.jpg

IMG_4067_zpse0c883f5.jpg

IMG_4068_zps8b370924.jpg

IMG_4069_zpsb570f609.jpg

IMG_4070_zpsc8d70746.jpg

IMG_4071_zpsf5ae850c.jpg

IMG_4072_zps9275e285.jpg

I was taking pics of Mapfre and she kept getting in the way.... I swear! :D

^^Careful--maybe the drone (sure has legs) was armed by some father to protect his pretty daughter ;)

IMG_4064_zps6b2f4366.jpg

IMG_4085_zps7d6f7d53.jpg

IMG_4097_zpsc8a67dbd.jpg

This does NOT look like a comfortable way to spend 3 weeks....

IMG_4105_zps847e0f8b.jpg

IMG_4115_zpsffd8669a.jpg

I went back and wondered around the village a bit more today. Picked up my press credentials (thanks Clean and Christina) and snapped a few more pics. Obviously, everything is real quiet as everyone is getting ready to head out for Christmas and R&R with the families. I did see Ian Walker and Iker Martinez, along with most of the Mapfre team wondering around checking on their boats and such. The Boatyard guys are busting their asses off stripping the boats and getting everything ready to go for the restart. Its an impressive operation to see up close. Its all well choreographed and smoothly run from what I can see.

There's a presser in the morning at 1000 local that I may try to go to if I can find an excuse to get out of work tomorrow ;) Anyway, here's some pics from today for the gearheads.....

IMG_4566_zps53580e51.jpg

IMG_4567_zpsf8c39d62.jpg

IMG_4569_zpsaf75e698.jpg

IMG_4570_zps89d4f93d.jpg

IMG_4571_zps361a1a7a.jpg

IMG_4576_zpsec5fb0a5.jpg

IMG_4577_zps00244a6b.jpg

IMG_4578_zpse7bbe785.jpg

IMG_4580_zpsbda0b2cb.jpg

IMG_4582_zpscf7a805c.jpg

The boatyard guys are probably the real unsung heroes of the VOR. These guys don't get Christmas off and are working to make the boats perfect again.

IMG_4598_zpsf8ede785.jpg

Holy Shite - that's a LOT of strings!IMG_4600_zpsa197e771.jpg

This was in the SCA pavilion. Totally made out of legos by a guy who works for the lego factory in SWE (IIRC). It took him over a year to build and is something like 100K pieces. The SCA team liked it so much they asked if they could take it on tour with them. It is really cool. When you move the wheels, the rudders actually turn.

IMG_4616_zpse8fe89c1.jpg

IMG_4618_zps7a7109ae.jpgIMG_4617_zpseef44703.jpgIMG_4619_zps51566890.jpg

IMG_4622_zpsc699b3a7.jpg

Nice work, JB.

Thanks.

One thing that I hadn't realized was that all the boat work, sail repair, and everything was a VOR function rather than an individual team function. I was chatting with some of the Boatyard guys in the sail loft and they were repairing all the team's sails. Same with the stripping of the boats and making repairs, etc. I hadn't realized it was a community effort. But I guess it makes sense given they are OD boats with OD sails and everything. So there are no secrets or fears of revealing designs to other teams.

Would it be safe to assume that this boat/sail maintenance community effort is unique to this year? I imagine the individual teams had all their own swarms of maintenance folks to strip the boats and such given the VO70s were proprietary designs.

One thing that I hadn't realized was that all the boat work, sail repair, and everything was a VOR function rather than an individual team function. I was chatting with some of the Boatyard guys in the sail loft and they were repairing all the team's sails. Same with the stripping of the boats and making repairs, etc. I hadn't realized it was a community effort. But I guess it makes sense given they are OD boats with OD sails and everything. So there are no secrets or fears of revealing designs to other teams.

Would it be safe to assume that this boat/sail maintenance community effort is unique to this year? I imagine the individual teams had all their own swarms of maintenance folks to strip the boats and such given the VO70s were proprietary designs.

Yes, you're right. This common boatyard was a focus of the interviews by Clean with Knut & Bice https://www.youtube.com/user/Blocksail/videos

Also, thanks again for those keel shots. Vestas' keel looks incredibly good after the grounding in comparison. Remarkable and an unexpected testament to the build/design quality of these 65s.

After being hated on about the Alvi study, I wonder if the shared services model extends to medical staff? How else did they know they lost the least amount of weight?

As I understood it the VOR has a medical staff that for the most part does basic testing to insure that the participants are healthy. This includes the race doctor who will make official decisions and IIRC has to be consulted when problems crop up at sea.

Given the size of the operation and use of heavy machinery they probably also double as on site first aid station. Quick reaction times and all of that.

The teams have their own medical staff and physiotherapy. That size will vary between teams, Alvi probably one of the biggest given that they bought themselves nine human guinea pigs. :ph34r:

Not everything is done by the Boatyard, the teams still have their own crew.

Brunel for example has two sets of 1 spares and 1 workshop container that leapfrog each other.

JBSF, good eye. Thanks for taking pictures of the details as only a sailor racer would. Looking at all those little things is interesting stuff. Must be a real treat to see these boats live and fresh from the race. We're you surprised by anything? Anything impress you about the boats when seeing them up close?

JBSF, good eye. Thanks for taking pictures of the details as only a sailor racer would. Looking at all those little things is interesting stuff. Must be a real treat to see these boats live and fresh from the race. We're you surprised by anything? Anything impress you about the boats when seeing them up close?

Yes, two things jumped out at me. One is just the sheer size of the boats, especially the depth of the keels. When they are on their cradles - they are WAAAY up there.

The other thing was how good the boats looked condition wise. After a 5000 mile leg, they looked almost new and shiney. Obviously they are well built. It would be interesting to see them right after a southern ocean leg to compare - as this leg did not have a ton of big wind and seas.

Thanks. I thought it was revealing of a racer sailor type that you interspersed photos of the details of a sprit with a beautiful woman and a boat under sail.

Thanks. I thought it was revealing of a racer sailor type that you interspersed photos of the details of a sprit with a beautiful woman and a boat under sail.

Haha, thanks.

Nice pics of the boat and 'wildlife' in the race village!

great photos,dig the lego boat.

Me too. Here is a couple more I got the next day:

IMG_4657_zps522252cc.jpg

IMG_4656_zpscd56d064.jpg

^^nice find; cool side project. Those guys were professional in their fun. Thanks

...looks like VO is going to great degrees of due diligence to identify the 'crashers' at an early age,,long before they might get the helm,or become a navigator......

B5HdZfqCQAAe2eQ.jpg

^ That Lego project is brilliant. All the working parts. After building the Lego Millennium Falcon with my son, this thing makes me feel like a Neanderthal.

Thanks A4E. Feel free to make suggestions for Abu Dhabi coverage - I arrive on the 30th.

...glad you're there Clean.

....outcome of protests..

...crew change details?

...the word on Vestas...

....Bouwe's gameplan for next leg?

...an overview on how sails are holding up,,any boats making replacements yet?

...how're the gingerbread cookies?

Thanks A4E. Feel free to make suggestions for Abu Dhabi coverage - I arrive on the 30th.

...crew change details?

...the word on Vestas...

Sail replacements already? How many and which sails are they allowed to replace?

...crew change details?

...the word on Vestas...

Sail replacements already? How many and which sails are they allowed to replace?

...I believe there's provision that each sail can have one replacement. I'd doubt there'd be changes yet,,but there have been issues particularly with J2's(?) . Overall,,it would be interesting to hear the inside story on sails.**

....**...not bad eh,Clean...a proper paragraph with only two wasted commas! :)