• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

No one ever officially said it would cost $30M.. That was just a rumor on this board. Bermuda has been up front about how much they are spending, and what they expect to get back from it. If the new hotels in St. George's, Morgan's Point, Pink Beach, and Ariel Sands all come about in the next 3 years, Bermuda will be ecstatic. Fresh new resorts will invigorate tourism, cause other hotel operators to up their game and just improve the island. Now will all this happen? Who knows, but the prospect looks brighter than it did a month ago.

it's their money - if they want to spend it this way.., why do any of you guys care!

The only reason you "care" is that you are totally vested in it being a failure - because of your antipathy for the people involved in the cup

i don't really think they are looking at the bottom line as closely as you think they are, or should

honestly - you look like a bunch of jerks

again - it's their money, it's their island

if they want to spend some money to host a big sporting event - it's their call.

I don't know - in most democracies the voters like to hold the government accountable for public expenditure. And since there is nothing else going on in AC land at the moment - Bermuda's fantastic bid is worth talking about. And there is a certain symmetry about it - it more or less matches the cost of an AC35 campaign.

Anybody who doesn't like the sharing of factual information can just ignore it. The coming AC62 show should prove an awesome event - and I guess that is the only reason any of us are here: To watch "the best" sailboat race.

We all want the best race possible. And I fully expect the racing to rock. When the big teams move in and start sailing - hopefully we will have sailboats and sailing to occupy our minds.

Not that there isn't some truth to your insight. RC is a giant among sailors - and apparently even among governments. But as he strides the globe he steps on people - and his foot just landed on Bermuda.

I have some background in economic theory so perhaps that's why the current debacle interests me. Which brings up another interesting fact: ATM's in Bermuda apparently dispense Bermuda dollars.

It would be truly excellent if this private currency were used to pay off ACEA.

But the beauty of the Bermuda dollar is that it can only be spent in Bermuda. And not only that, but they can just print it up and hand it over.

Now I suppose the treasury has a law preventing that - but a little inflation is a fine way to erase some debt.

PS: Few may have enjoyed AC34 more than myself. Anybody resident in Bermuda - with a view of the sound - is likely to have a memorable sailing experience with AC35.

Watching the foilers jibe up the learning curve was unbelievable. Watching the races was equally marvelous.

And the accessibility was incredible. Head out at lunch - take in a couple races sitting on the water between a pair of big screens with live commentary. Head out on the weekend for a picnic - and watch the racing. The rigs were so big that we could follow the lead changes easily from a marina near the north tower of the GG Bridge.

But you could also get so close as to hear the boats rip by. My avatar was snapped by my wife with just her cell phone.

So, yeah, I may deride the administration of the Cup. But the boats and the racing will be something to behold. And I'm not one of those that thinks TV is a good substitute either.

The key with these monsters is that they are faster than the wind. And I don't think that there are many sailors in the world that will easily believe their eyes when the boats tack the main through a jibe.

As a sailor - you can see the water and feel the breeze. You know what it's blowing and you know how a big sailboat is supposed to behave. But the AC62's won't behave that way - they will behave in strange ways you have never seen before. Like pulling huge G's when rounding a bottom mark as if it were a slalom gate.

TV cannot broadcast the strange rush that occurs when your eyes register something the brain doesn't understand. A new form of sailing was invented - no doubt about it.

So - yes. Do anything you can to see it live. As long as the breeze blows, you won't regret it.

Move the MoFo to Cuba Win - Win !!!

Lets All Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/article/20141218/NEWS/141219698

How catamarans won over sailing community

By Colin Thompson

Sailing Correspondent

There was a time when multihull yachts were frowned upon by sailing traditionalists.

Not anymore, thanks largely to the influence that the catamaran has had since its controversial introduction in Americas Cup sailing.

But the beauty of the Bermuda dollar is that it can only be spent in Bermuda. And not only that, but they can just print it up and hand it over.

Now I suppose the treasury has a law preventing that - but a little inflation is a fine way to erase some debt.

because of they want to maintain a fixed exchange rate with the US$, they have relatively little freedom in monetary policy

if they printed to many bermudian dollars, they would quickly find that nobody would exchange at the official rate, and there would be an unofficial exchange at a lower rate.

it could well be the case that with the US$ rising now, they might have to reduce money supply, with the consequent harm to the economy - if they want to maintain parity - or let the exchange rate change

this has happens all the time when countries try to peg their currency to either gold, or another currency

it's how Soros made his money!

Trivia from a fun enough read at http://mobile.royalgazette.com/article/20141219/COMMENT/141219659

"Significant thanks must also be given to part-time Bermuda resident Michael Bloomberg, who did much behind the scenes to assist in having Bermuda selected."

That provides a bit of insight into the leadership behind the bid. Gotta love how he plans to educate the populace on the Cup - with pamphlets on Cup history for every school kid.

A bit discouraging to hear him quote that bit about the America's Cup being the number three sporting event in the world - thought we were over that.

Lastly, Bloombergs involvement is a bit of interesting trivia:

Bermuda - Backed by a Billionaire.

Oracle - Backed by a Billionaire.

Artemis - Backed by a Billionaire.

Lunna Rossa - Backed by a Billionaire.

TNZ - Looking for a Billionaire.

BAR - Looking for a Billionaire.

FRA - Looking for a Billionaire.

AUS - Lost its Billionaire.

Bermudas motto, conceived with forethought and clairvoyance, "Quo Fata Ferunt", is translated from Latin to read "whither the fates carry us".

What, about LE and Bloomberg?

Only that they may be friends, may even have discussed Bermuda personally, and that that's why Bloomberg "did much behind the scenes."

If there's any 'conspiracy' then perhaps it was an already-made decision, pre-arranged, preselected, was the reason why Bermuda was even on the list, and was always a decision far above RC's actual going-in realization of the situation.

I am there!!! Along with Michael and Catherine.... Please just tell me what channel to tune in...

i am all over it.... cant wait,,,,

Do I tune into the Legal Channel or ?????

I am there!!! Along with Michael and Catherine.... Please just tell me what channel to tune in...

i am all over it.... cant wait,,,,

Do I tune into the Legal Channel or ?????

What's the frequency Kenneth.

I sailed for two years in the Great Sound.

From my first apartment I could swim to the RBYC. I then lived at Malabar Gate, which used to be a brothel for Nelson's senior officers' : private quay provided.

It was good enough for Nelson. I would look for feedback from sailors of the standing of Stan Honey; who I met sailing 5o5's in Race Week in 1977; that should be recommendation enough.

^ Nice. This article mentions Cooper and Shrubb, they'd be interesting feedback too.

From http://mobile.royalgazette.com/article/20141220/SPORT03/141229994

--

Local officials set for important safety role

Local officials will play a significant role ensuring the safety of participating teams during the 35th Americas Cup and preceding Challenger Series.

Local officials set for important safety role

very misleading

1/ what they mean is.....free local labour sought to keep Bermudians off their own waters during the 'commercial cup'

2/ the only local officials mentioned are the 2 Bermudians with previous AC experience who were told they would have to take their chances along with everyone else in terms of any role in AC35

Why is there a good chance?

Being probably the two richest Jews in the world, there's a good chance Ellison and Bloomberg are friends.

Is weed legal in Bermuda?

The government doesn't like weed, other than their families' grows, or their friends, or whoever donated to their cause.

Like most of the caribbean, you stay quiet, you ask your cabbie or local fisherman, you get decent weed. Don't smoke a huge cone in public and you're good.

Being probably the two richest Jews in the world, there's a good chance Ellison and Bloomberg are friends.

What has Bloomberg's coverage of Oracle, and by chance the AC, been? Might be a clue there.

although there is a move toward decriminalization, official policy is "zero tolerance"

they do bust tourists regularly - if busted, you will pay a fine of $500-1000 at a minimum.

you may also spend a night in jail

the legal system in bda is not typically considered as friendly to the accused as the american system

of course, they only catch a small % of those who are smoking, but if you are caught with weed, they are not going to ignore it

also, just to clear up any misconception, bermuda is not in the caribbean - i know clean knows this.., but i'd rather get caught with weed in the usa than anywhere in the caribbean - at least you will get due process. i've seen jails in the caribbean - you don't want to visit one. i'd also rather get caught in the usa than in bda.

What has Bloomberg's coverage of Oracle, and by chance the AC, been? Might be a clue there.

I don't even know what that means

although there is a move toward decriminalization, official policy is "zero tolerance"

they do bust tourists regularly - if busted, you will pay a fine of $500-1000 at a minimum.

the legal system in bda is not typically considered as friendly to the accused as the american system

of course, they only catch a small % of those who are smoking, but if you are caught with weed, they are not going to ignore it

also, just to clear up any misconception, bermuda is not in the caribbean - i know clean knows this.., but i'd rather get caught with weed in the usa than anywhere in the caribbean - at least you will get due process. i've seen jails in the caribbean - you don't want to visit one. i'd also rather get caught in the usa than in bda.

The only people who say 'i've seen jails...' are people who haven't been in them.

The only people who say 'i've seen jails...' are people who haven't been in them.

so you think i might be wrong when i say you don't want to spend any time in a caribbean jail?

the view from the outside is enough to convince most sane people that they don't want to see the inside,

the bda jails aren't any more attractive

In the ski area we are at they showing a Bloomberg report on the bar restaurant tv's every 15 minutes or so about AC 34, despite the made for tv 72's no one has watched for more than 30 seconds...up market audience and their snowboarding kids not giving it a second glance...

In the ski area we are at they showing a Bloomberg report on the bar restaurant tv's every 15 minutes or so about AC 34, despite the made for tv 72's no one has watched for more than 30 seconds...up market audience and their snowboarding kids not giving it a second glance...

I still don't really know what Bloomberg's coverage of Oracle was. I don't fully know what Bloomberg is other than a mayor and financial news guy. Cable station?

I don't even know what that means

Then check in with ro - apparently he does.

Okay, I'll bite: What on TV does catch their attention for more than 30 secs?

The extreme skiing and boarding.....the squirrel suit flyers...

Supposedly this format was to get the attention of the facebookers and kids....

Oh ...it got the attention of your stalker buddy the ubertroll....

I still don't really know what Bloomberg's coverage of Oracle was. I don't fully know what Bloomberg is other than a mayor and financial news guy. Cable station?

Part time resident of Bermuda.

Investor in Bermuda?

Actively advertising AC35 via Bloomberg media.

AC fan?

...purportedly he had a role in the negotiation to secure AC35 in Bermuda.

so you think i might be wrong when i say you don't want to spend any time in a caribbean jail?

the view from the outside is enough to convince most sane people that they don't want to see the inside,

I've seen the inside of a Mexican jail - from the outside - not nice.

I think Clean is simply speaking from experience...

;)

Part time resident of Bermuda.

Investor in Bermuda?

Actively advertising AC35 via Bloomberg media.

AC fan?

...purportedly he had a role in the negotiation to secure AC35 in Bermuda.

Ahh...thanks!

Yes, I was wondering what the Bloomberg News coverage has been and if that would indicate any links between LE & MB.

From http://mobile.royalgazette.com/article/20141219/COMMENT/141219660

New year, new friends and new opportunities

As all of Bermuda now knows, the next Americas Cup will be held here during the early summer of 2017. But the implications of that decision are being felt already.

My name is Peter Rusch and I work in communications for the Americas Cup. Ive been involved in the past five editions of the Cup, dating back to 1999.

In that time, the event has taken me to Auckland, New Zealand (1999, 2003); Valencia, Spain (2007, 2010); and San Francisco (2013). In each case the Americas Cup was the impetus, to a greater or lesser degree, for major projects in the host venue.

I've seen the inside of a Mexican jail - from the outside - not nice.

I think Clean is simply speaking from experience...

;)

i was the only white guy in the jail in the South Bronx one night...

i'm not sure it really counts as jail.., it was really the holding cell at the police station, but it was kind of scary

i spent the whole night there

it actually wasn't as bad as you might think it would be, but i'm not planning to repeat it

if you are wondering what i did - it was doubly sailing related!

i was going home from frostbiting, and got pulled over - it turned out that i hadn't paid a traffic ticket

and i got the original traffic ticket while speeding to JFK to go to a regatta in SF!

And that's why the suggestion that, if Bermuda somehow succeeds where others have not, they could go after another Cup Defense.

People say it means relatively more to B than it would have meant to SF or SD, and it's probably true.

More than a relative difference - an actual difference.

SF: -10M (wag)

SD: 20M (wag)

BER: 80M (that's what we're talking about!)

Any land deals with Ber? That was a big part of the 34th discussion

I'm probably wrong but I think the genesis of the 'land deals' had to be something like - 'if I'm gonna invest $m to make those redundant piers safe again, I need a lease that will allow me to recoup (++?) my money'

It would appear that none of the money being spent on permanent 'improvements' in Bermuda is coming from LE/ACXX, so not the same justification for longer term deals.

Nice and clean this time; get in, skim what you can, get out!

Ninja-Birthday%20party.jpg

On tonight's Skuttlebutt:

Bermuda already preparing for America’s Cup activity

It is expected that the America’s Cup holders will relocate into their new Bermuda headquarters in Dockyard by early spring to step up preparations for the title defence in the Great Sound in 2017.

“There is a South Basin up there which is where the bases will be set up for the finals,” said Dr Grant Gibbons, the Economic Development Minister, who spearheaded Bermuda’s successful bid to host the 35th America’s Cup. “What’s started already is an effort to clear the dock up at the South Basin.

“We know in conceptual terms where things will go, but there’s a fair amount of prep work that needs to be done in terms of hook-ups for electrical and water. Some of that is going on right now but the biggest task is getting that dock cleaned up so that it’s available for teams that will want to set up there.

“There’s also some buildings that will need to be repaired and cleaned up at Dockyard because some of those will be used for the purpose of the Event Village in 2017 and before that.

”America’s Cup officials, meanwhile, are expected to begin relocating their offices to Bermuda as early as this month.

“Some of the America’s Cup Event Authority, which is obviously the organising group, are starting to move in January and February,” Dr Gibbons said. “But they will be working out of offices and that sort of thing.”

As well as the America’s Cup challenger qualifiers and finals, Bermuda will also host the America’s Cup World Series in October of this year.

Source: The Royal Gazette

Editor’s note: Reports from San Francisco in 2011 at this stage were of disputed real estate deals, community protests, and environmental concerns. Will this honeymoon with Bermuda continue? Hope so.

Yeah, I assume they meant semifinals and finals, but who knows. I am sure Bermuda would absolutely love to host the "qualifier" as well..

Nice shot of the Great Sound from Gibbs Lighthouse. One can see the dockyard complex in the distance, where the Cup VIllage will be

10923823_10152952431235758_6640086844994

^

Good one, Rennie.

Russell has been quoted as saying that all the teams would not fit in San Diego. We certainly could fit the original spec of five and I think we could have fit one more. But who knows how many teams will still be viable in 2017?

Surprising how clear-eyed some people become, once they are no longer part of the game ..

Yes, those in San Diego are no longer part of the game and no longer care.

But I'm curious why you, still, care about numbers. None of Australia, Bermuda, Portugal, Japan, Russia, and very likely France, were ever going to put up campaigns serious enough to challenge the deadly serious campaigns by Artemis, BAR, ETNZ, and Luna Rossa. So besides you, who really gives a dang about those also-rans? They are completely irrelevant, the serious campaigns are more than serious as it already is.

Sad about San Diego, it was my distant second choice over San Francisco. But that last quote about red tape probably helps explain a lot.

Farther afield: where are all the links to all the other recent topics, involving all the other teams and subjects? You guys are missing some big story lines, get your acts together around here or this forum gets even more pointless.

Yes, those in San Diego are no longer part of the game and no longer care.

But I'm curious why you, still, care about numbers. None of Australia, Bermuda, Portugal, Japan, Russia, and very likely France, were ever going to put up campaigns serious enough to challenge the deadly serious campaigns by Artemis, BAR, ETNZ, and Luna Rossa. So besides you, who really gives a dang about those also-rans? They are completely irrelevant, the serious campaigns are more than serious as it already is.

Sad about San Diego, it was my distant second choice over San Francisco. But that last quote about red tape probably helps explain a lot.

Farther afield: where are all the links to all the other recent topics, involving all the other teams and subjects? You guys are missing some big story lines, get your acts together around here or this forum gets even more pointless.

When your hero lazza was projecting all sorts of entries you predicted 12-18 teams and loved the way the AC was headed...

When these entries which everyone but you and the west coast maf knew to be bogus didn't show up, you then changed your tune and started spinning that you wanted only serious entries like Artemis and no wankers like the French or the Brits, who had figured out that there was no return on $150M in russelvision....

Your serious Artemis team managed to build the sketchiest boat in AC history, and were in no way competive in a three boat LV jack off....

As to your further afield....since the odious clean kicked you in the nuts a couple of weeks ago, you have stopped mining AC bullshit and spinning it up in an effort to make lazza, rc, acea, im, otusa et al not look like chumps...

As for being a pointless forum, it's not made any difference you spitting the pacifier out and not posting twenty times a day...

42,000 posts! Give it a fucking rest.....

AR-150129987.jpg

Ground has been broken on the site in Dockyard that will form the base for 35th America’s Cup defender Oracle Team USA.

The multi-building complex, that will house Oracle’s fleet of wing sail AC62 foiling catamarans, is situated just east of the twin cement silos.

Members from Oracle are on Island on a scouting mission and to discuss team logistics, Grant Simmer, the team’s manager, confirmed yesterday.

“Several team members are in Bermuda this week on a scouting trip, as we prepare to move our operations here,” he said.

“We are planning on shipping our boats and equipment here in April with a view to getting sailing by the beginning of May.

“When the team is up and running here in late spring we’ll have about 60 people based in Dockyard.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150120/SPORT03/150129987

^ The 2015 balloon is over downtown Hamilton, where the October 2015 ACWS event will be centered. The 2017 balloon is over Dockyard, where the 2017 AC will be based.

at http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/04/30/americas-cup-seeking-to-leave-a-legacy-in-bermuda/

--

Hamilton, Bermuda (April 30, 2015) The Americas Cup is teaming up with some of the biggest names in the marine industry to launch an ambitious Community Sailing Project, with a focus on leaving a sporting legacy in Bermuda.

This is an exciting project that builds on something we started during the last Americas Cup, said Russell Coutts, the CEO of the Americas Cup Event Authority (ACEA).

Weve enlisted the support and assistance of some of the great players in our industry who share our view that it is important to give back and create a positive legacy not just from events like the Americas Cup but the marine industry in general.

at http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/04/30/americas-cup-seeking-to-leave-a-legacy-in-bermuda/

--

Hamilton, Bermuda (April 30, 2015) The Americas Cup is teaming up with some of the biggest names in the marine industry to launch an ambitious Community Sailing Project, with a focus on leaving a sporting legacy in Bermuda.

This is an exciting project that builds on something we started during the last Americas Cup, said Russell Coutts, the CEO of the Americas Cup Event Authority (ACEA).

Weve enlisted the support and assistance of some of the great players in our industry who share our view that it is important to give back and create a positive legacy not just from events like the Americas Cup but the marine industry in general.

Yea they gave back and created a positive legacy in SF...

That's why they are sucking on the new Bermuda tit....

It's all on!

Russel's dream is reality!

Bigger, faster, better than ever before, in the perfect loca$ion....

BANG!

Mr Durhager acknowledged that the construction of the America’s Cup village in the South Basin could prove the biggest challenge in the coming months.

He said “We are looking at a few options when it comes to finding the reclaimed land and trying to figure out what is the optimal infrastructure to build. We are looking at various alternatives from dredging the south and north channels to bringing in granite from Nova Scotia.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150502/SPORT30/150509939

Oh, what??

No fixed plan/room to host competing teams - time to jerk their contract Dr. General Kommisar!

San Diego here we come.

It's all on!

BANG!

Is it just me but don't those boats look really small!

I can't make out any sponsors logos

It's all on!

BANG!

They need to be small so when they roll out the 45 we all go 'man now we are talking"

Then they roll out the 48 and there is a collective jawdropping moment as we look at the mean machines they will race in the cup.

Yeah right.

There he goes!!! Bang!!!

haha, foil dev will be soooo critical on the OD AC48, and you can go almost anywhere with areo.

can't wait.

Bang

comon spinbot, spin this one up a bit!!! :rolleyes:

It's all on!

BANG!

That pretty much fucks ET then.

Have any of the teams paid any actual money yet?

Does it all go to ACRM or is it funding ACEA and Schiller as well?

Are they really using the money from other teams* to negotiate sweetheart deals for themselves?

Say it isn't so...

Bremont becomes Official Timing Partner of the America’s Cup and ORACLE TEAM USA

“Everything is down to the split second now with the boats,” said ORACLE TEAM USA skipper Jimmy Spithill. “Timing is the number one key piece of information for starting and maneuvers, so it is particularly important that we have partnered up with Bremont. This is a company that has a lot of experience in aviation, where timing is everything too, so ultimately I see this partnership as a competitive advantage.”

“The addition of an Official Timing Partner is a key commercial milestone for the America’s Cup,” said Harvey Schiller, the Commercial Commissioner of the event. “Along with our recently announced broadcast agreements momentum is building as we head into the summer and towards the first America’s Cup World Series racing in Portsmouth, England in July.”

http://www.americascup.com/en/news/174_Bremont-becomes-Official-Timing-Partner-of-the-Americas-Cup-and-ORACLE-TEAM-USA.html

*are there actually any teams not funded by OTUSA?

OTUSAAUS - looks like the Australians are providing the sailors and everything else is funded by Oracle

OTF - design and parts

OTJ - sailors, design and parts

BAR - an AC45, help getting the team started

AR - training partner

TNZ - untainted?

^ It would seem there is nothing in the Protocol to stop ACEA doing deals on their own and OTUSA's behalf.

Funding by competitors and neutral management only applies to 'Regatta Officials'

Does make you wonder though when they drove the last decision and tried to convince the world they were acting on the will of the (majority) of competitors, or possibly engineering a result but only for 'the good of the event'. Yeah right!

Conflict of interest, just carry on - it's tradition now....

^ It would seem there is nothing in the Protocol to stop ACEA doing deals on their own and OTUSA's behalf.

Funding by competitors and neutral management only applies to 'Regatta Officials'

Does make you wonder though when they drove the last decision and tried to convince the world they were acting on the will of the (majority) of competitors, or possibly engineering a result but only for 'the good of the event'. Yeah right!

Conflict of interest, just carry on - it's tradition now....

Just waiting for them to stop talking about teams and start talking about franchises now

^I do hope you're very wrong...

Already posted? (Not that it's especially spectacular news...)

PwC named Official Audit and Assurance Provider for the America’s Cup

PwC Bermuda to support and promote youth education through sailing and contribute to legacy

PwC Bermuda has been named the Official Audit and Assurance Provider for the 35th America’s Cup and Official Audit & Assurance Provider of ORACLE TEAM USA.

Under the agreement, PwC will provide a range of professional services to ACEA (America’s Cup Event Authority). PwC will also make a significant contribution to the America’s Cup Community Sailing Project through this relationship.

“We’re thrilled to have PwC support the America’s Cup and especially the Community Sailing Project,” said Harvey Schiller, the Commercial Commissioner of the America’s Cup.

“Having Bermuda based partners for this important initiative demonstrates a commitment to ensure the America’s Cup has a wide-ranging impact for all Bermudians.”

The Community Sailing Project is due to get under way this summer.

“We are delighted to announce that we have signed an agreement to become an Official Supplier to sailing’s most prestigious event,” said Arthur Wightman, leader of PwC Bermuda. “We are proud to connect our brand with an event that shares PwC’s core values of excellence, teamwork and leadership.

“In reaching this agreement, it was especially important to all of us at PwC that our role aligned with our overall purpose – to build trust in society and solve important problems. Beyond providing our professional services, we are especially proud to play an important role in the America’s Cup Community Sailing Project in Bermuda.

“This project will support and promote youth education through sailing and related sailing activities and experiences for youth in Bermuda, with the goal of creating a programme that will sustain well beyond the 35th America’s Cup. We are unreservedly committed to playing our part in ensuring that there is a real legacy benefit from the 35th America’s Cup that will be felt by the Bermuda community for many years to come.”

Employing more than 200 people, and backed by the strength of a global network of 195,000 people in 157 countries, PwC is the largest professional services firm in Bermuda, specialising in insurance and reinsurance, asset management and banking.

Id have thought a major law firm sponsorship might have been top of the list for the upcoming event?

--

@americascup: @ShirleySail with @CNNMainsail are with us in #Bermuda today getting the scoop on the latest AC news. http://t.co/yKoZwuzv4q

Shirleysail, the destroyer of foils. Good thing I didn't see her in newport.