Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaulinVictoria

Team Vestas grounded

Interesting I noted that one of the things suggested here, i.e. a navigator's meeting to discuss hazards prior to each leg, has indeed been put in-place in an informal way.

Not that I think they got the idea here :)

Thanks for the links--best review of leg 3 I've seen so far. Good to see the cooperation with teams and RC, especially the details about excluding the oilfields.

Since the Vestas Wind incident, there has been more of a safety first, race second attitude amongst the navigators.

'For the next leg I have sent a message out to the other navigators about a rock that wasn't on the charts. Dongfeng sent some comments out as well. So there is a lot of co-operation between the teams and the navigators. We understand the consequences of an error.'

'There is no organised navigational briefing as such, but the navigators have been quite proactive,’ he explains.

'Before this leg, we called a meeting, pulled out all the paper charts and said to the race committee – here is what we think is safe - using that term advisedly. We tell them that given that we have to go to a destination, here is how we want to do it.

'Then the Race Committee can firm up the Sailing Instructions. It is now quite co-operative in that respect.

'The navigators’ discussion doesn't affect the racing tactics too much. For instance, we blocked out the oilfields off Vietnam – to avoid a situation where the first yacht might get through, and the next one gets stopped by a Vietnamese patrol boat, because the oilfields are a prohibited area.

'We are bringing the seamanship/racing navigator pendulum back to the seamanship side,' he says, in conclusion.

I found this other photo of the debris. You can see a serial number : VO65 700 101 01 A ???

From « Sud-Ouest » 11/08/15 : http://www.sudouest.fr/2015/08/11/disparition-du-vol-mh370-un-nouveau-debris-retrouve-a-la-reunion-2093889-4803.php

The article says : « Discovered by members of an association in charge of cleaning beaches, the piece measures 1.40 m high by 1 meter wide. It is composed of a part made of aluminum, stainless nuts, a carbon foot and a part made of unknown composite material. »

2093889_372_deb3-1200_800x533p.jpg?v=1

Extracts from an article on Imazpress Réunion : http://www.ipreunion.com/debris-d-avion-a-saint-andre/reportage/2015/08/11/enquete-sur-le-vol-mh370-un-imposant-debris-retrouve-a-sainte-suzanne,32126.html

An expert in this inquiry says : « At first glance this piece seems a little too « clean » for having spent 16 months in water. I don’t see where this assembly could come from. Anyhow, not from the cargo bay or the landing gear (of a plane) » […] « If this piece probably does not come from an airplane, it could however be an element from a boat. Some Internet users feel that this is a rudder tube or a rudder wick » […]

« If this theory is confirmed, a parallel could be drawn with the accident of Team Vestas Wind in the Volvo Ocean Race. Last November 30th, the boat hit the Saint-Brandon (Mauritius) coral reef. The shape of the debris, its color and its location correspond to the racing sail boat that had tragically ended its leg there. »

Forum of Crash-aérien where they are discussing this : http://www.crash-aerien.aero/forum/malaysia-mh370-en-attendant-de-retrouver-l-avion-partie-2-t26973-9555.html

Wow...MH 370 crashed into Vestus...surely Wouter is is off the hook now??

No, Vestas crashed into MH 370. The plane had been floating around for ages before Vestas sank it.

Looking at the VO65 Class Certificate (for leg 2) Rudder #2 had this serial number, so yes, it is definitely from Vestas if there was any thought that it isn't.

Looking at the VO65 Class Certificate (for leg 2) Rudder #2 had this serial number, so yes, it is definitely from Vestas if there was any thought that it isn't.

Thank you,

Thats the best confirmation yet

Wouter on paper charts at the Malta conference of the Yacht Racing Forum:

The Risk Management & Safety conference marked the second anniversary of Team Vestas Wind's catastrophic encounter with a reef in the Indian Ocean during the last Volvo Ocean Race. While the race winning skipper, Ian Walker, was sitting in the audience, it was the Vestas navigator Wouter Verbraak who took to the stage to relive that horrific moment. "The only way to improve is to admit your mistakes," said Verbraak, who has been widely praised for his candour and honesty following his widely-publicised error. He used the stage to draw attention to the limitations of both electronic and paper charts. "Paper charts are of no use on a MOD70 when you're doing 35 knots in the Caribbean," he said.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/193456