Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scrivan2

Ultra 30 Team Zombie ready for 2015

SA,

A few years ago I posted a link to a lot of the mods I made to my Ultra 30. I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to learning about reengineering control systems on sport and larger race boats. I really appreciate simple, clean and efficient setups. I have implemented many new trick ideas on my Ultra 30 this fall and over the past 2 years. Team Zombie has come along way from its original set up back in 1989. We are always searching for speed on and off the water, and are often immediatly rewarded :-)

We sail out of Riverside YC on LIS. Enjoy the link, please let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Want to join us weeknights, mid-May through Sept? PM me, hope you like hiking hard and going fast!

- Andrew

https://www.facebook.com/ZombieRacing

Looks fun! Throw some cap nuts on the exposed thread of the rack bolts to keep kites and skin in tact.

Is everyone trapped out? How does handicapping handle that thing?

Cheers,

Murphness

Is that an ultra with a heavier bulb, deeper keel? How does that work, much better stability? Less need for trap crew and rescue boat? So more practical? But you give up some of the breakaway offwind? Interesting project for the E coast.

Looks fun! Throw some cap nuts on the exposed thread of the rack bolts to keep kites and skin in tact.

Is everyone trapped out? How does handicapping handle that thing?

Cheers,

Murphness

Murphness- Good point, has not been an issue so far but makes sence.

PHRF LIS does not allow us to trap so we hike hard of a long hiking strap about mid rack. Straps are not on in the FB pics.

Is that an ultra with a heavier bulb, deeper keel? How does that work, much better stability? Less need for trap crew and rescue boat? So more practical? But you give up some of the breakaway offwind? Interesting project for the E coast.

Bruno- Yes, the bulb is in the 900 + lbs range and and we added 3 inches to the draft for the 2014 season. If we have the an unfortunate incident and get knocked down we self right in a minute or so. Stability has improved with the extra 3" draft. Lift and height relative to others should have as well but it was very neglagable. No need for a support boat vs back when the boats flipped at the dock!

No doubt we sit lower and are stickier than the original Ultras caring 900+lbs more lead but then again we have saved weight in the CF Mast, boom, sprit, lighter aluminum racks, and all the wight saving I have done. So we may be heavier but not really sure by how many lbs. Need to get a good crane scale.

I live near the mouth of the CT river, so it may be tough to get down there depending on the time you go out. Would love the opportunity to come check it out! I've always wanted to go play on one of those. Even without traps. I didn't realize there were any left on the water in New England, let alone right here in CT.

I live near the mouth of the CT river, so it may be tough to get down there depending on the time you go out. Would love the opportunity to come check it out! I've always wanted to go play on one of those. Even without traps. I didn't realize there were any left on the water in New England, let alone right here in CT.

You may be thinking of Ultimate 30's that they raced here in the states. This is an Ultra that they raced OD in the UK in the 90's.

PM me your email address and I will put you on the list.

-Andrew

great project! ive got the Ultimate 30 Ziti out here in Colorado now. trying to make a game plan on fixing her up. perhaps do some Lake sailing this year and head west after that.....

Ah, thanks for reaching out. I looked at that boat as well. I like the "super skiff" look and the chines. Very cool boat. Will you be keeping the traps on? Will you race phrf? I saw that you all took the boat to CO, it was mentioned in a SA thread. What kind of work needs to be done to get the boat up to spec?

Andrew

hey guys, thanks for saying hello the boat seems to be in really good shape for having sat for so long. the gaps around the dagger board need to be closed below the waterline, im not sure how? not sure if the dagger is in the right fore aft position, it is shimmed in with wood blocks. has a 300lb bulb that im probably going to deep 6. standing rigging is good, running rigging needs attention. i need to check mast ram hydro, shroud hydraulics are no longer with the boat. needs sails in a big expensive way! working on it id like to PHRF it, see if they will allow it in a few nearshore distance races and pray for light seas and wind from behind. when you guys get sick of me picking your brains let me know.....

(Not my vid). All I can find on youtube. Features (briefly) the late John Merricks, who was, inter alia, Olympic Silver Medallist ('96) in the 470 with ADOR's Ian Walker.

Glad to see some life in these boats: back in the olden days (90s) I'd go racing then come home to see these on Grandstand. Sailing on national telly.

There's a couple of these sat in a car park not a million miles from me: can get pics if you want.

Which one was yours originally?

SA,

A few years ago I posted a link to a lot of the mods I made to my Ultra 30. I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to learning about reengineering control systems on sport and larger race boats. I really appreciate simple, clean and efficient setups. I have implemented many new trick ideas on my Ultra 30 this fall and over the past 2 years. Team Zombie has come along way from its original set up back in 1989. We are always searching for speed on and off the water, and are often immediatly rewarded :-)

We sail out of Riverside YC on LIS. Enjoy the link, please let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Want to join us weeknights, mid-May through Sept? PM me, hope you like hiking hard and going fast!

- Andrew

https://www.facebook.com/ZombieRacing

Any regatta plans outside of club racing? Would be cool to see the boat do some local events.

hey guys, thanks for saying hello the boat seems to be in really good shape for having sat for so long. the gaps around the dagger board need to be closed below the waterline, im not sure how? not sure if the dagger is in the right fore aft position, it is shimmed in with wood blocks. has a 300lb bulb that im probably going to deep 6. standing rigging is good, running rigging needs attention. i need to check mast ram hydro, shroud hydraulics are no longer with the boat. needs sails in a big expensive way! working on it id like to PHRF it, see if they will allow it in a few nearshore distance races and pray for light seas and wind from behind. when you guys get sick of me picking your brains let me know.....

Starsn,

Let's definitly talk. I might be ale to save you some headache! :-)

email me:

rent@estateventures.com

thanks,

Andrew

Was wondering what this boat was...I've seen it at RYC a few times and thought it looked a sick time!

If you want to sail with us just email me...

rent@estateventures.com

thanks,

Andrew

(Not my vid). All I can find on youtube. Features (briefly) the late John Merricks, who was, inter alia, Olympic Silver Medallist ('96) in the 470 with ADOR's Ian Walker.

Glad to see some life in these boats: back in the olden days (90s) I'd go racing then come home to see these on Grandstand. Sailing on national telly.

There's a couple of these sat in a car park not a million miles from me: can get pics if you want.

Which one was yours originally?

I know of Star Alliance and the white DBS that are at the Penzance boat club. Are these the ones you are talking about. Please do snap a few pics if you can and email me. I do like knowing where othrs are.

Just spoke to Humphreys and understand that the moulds were destroyed...bummer.

My email address is above in a post.

Andrew

Cool boat, cool program. Martha at Team One used to sail one.

A couple of years back I noticed one was hanging in the rafters at Noank Shipyard. Don't know if or is still there.

Cool boat, cool program. Martha at Team One used to sail one.

A couple of years back I noticed one was hanging in the rafters at Noank Shipyard. Don't know if or is still there.

Sure, That was the "Team Connecticut" Ultimate 30. That was still hanging there the last time I saw it, about 7 years ago now.