micha571

new Pogo 36 - any intel?

I heard it is not more or less than the successor of the Pogo 10.50 which looks a bit dated next to the 30 or 12.50.

I'll see if there is any scuttlebutt at Paris Boat Show next week.

I had heard they were nicking the coachroof/window feature from the JPK 10,80 ....

What's it draw, like 18 feet? Can't think of a bay around here that I could sail it in. Great ship channel racer though

Yep, its a replacement for the 10.50.

We were tossing up to wait for the 36 or not, as I am keen on shorthanding, so this was definitely on the radar along with the 30.

Aaargh! Decisions decisions.....

After a visit though, I fell in love with the Pogo 12.50, and consequently I've just ordered one, so now I agree, the 36 is ugly!

Now that's a selfish attitude isn't it?

SB

... so now I agree, the 36 is ugly!

No, not a selfish attitude.

Name one continent/demographic/sailing endeavor where that deck-house makes any sense at all. What practical use does it serve?

I'm trying.....it is a bit weird how it scallops back in as you go forrard.

Not like Finot Conq/Pogo are normally into cosmetics over function, but I can't think of any functional reason at all.

I like it:)

Purpose designed not a converted Open 40 or other racer. Designed for the folding keel.

Depending on price there could be a long wait list.

I predict a very expensive in demand boat.

Big profits for Structures

Yep, its a replacement for the 10.50.

We were tossing up to wait for the 36 or not, as I am keen on shorthanding, so this was definitely on the radar along with the 30.

Aaargh! Decisions decisions.....

After a visit though, I fell in love with the Pogo 12.50, and consequently I've just ordered one, so now I agree, the 36 is ugly!

SB

Hey Shaggy. How long from order placed to delivery?

Twingha,

Ordered couple of weeks ago, due September 2015.

That doesn't factor in transport of course (adds another 30 days)

SB

Shaggybaxter I hate you and anyone else that has a 1250!!! Lucky bastard I might try selling one of my kids so I can have one too!

... so now I agree, the 36 is ugly!

No, not a selfish attitude.

Name one continent/demographic/sailing endeavor where that deck-house makes any sense at all. What practical use does it serve?

Pogos are made for very fast singlehanded downwind cruising. The deck form provides standing height while cooking or navigating with a good around view while under deck in autopilot mode.

Sow1,

I did offer up the children, the wife and even the dog, but no takers :)

One difference between the 30 and 12.50 was the base fitout of the 12.50 included more, the 30 needed options to create the same build. It will be interesting to see how Structures price the 36.

SB

Pogos are made for very fast singlehanded downwind cruising. The deck form provides standing height while cooking or navigating with a good around view while under deck in autopilot mode.

Plus a narrower sheeting base for the jib.

Ash, thanks Ed, didn't think of that. Doh!!

Looks too far forward for jib sheeting, is that where the track is?

Might fit for the storm jib's sheeting! ;)

There won't be a track as such but three point barbaras, that's how the 30 is anyway.

I'm trying.....it is a bit weird how it scallops back in as you go forrard.

Not like Finot Conq/Pogo are normally into cosmetics over function, but I can't think of any functional reason at all.

A better view from down below for the nervous short hander?

Just as likely it offers better protection to the cockpit.

AFAIK at least on the 30, Pogo is not using jib car tracks. They instead use an adjustable low friction ring setup.

Deck mounted sprit?

KISS. Didn't find it got in the way on the 30 and it won't leak

Agreed. Did not see a deck mounted sprit on the model, which is why I asked.

None of the Pogos use tracks and cars. Far too heavy. Couple of bits of string and a low friction eye ....

Who's the designer? Finot, like most Pogo's? Or Verdier (New Pogo 3)? Can't seem to find any info online.

Me Like.

Standing headroom all the way forward, raised hatches to keep the inside dry, decent coamings for the cockpit, and heaps of light down below. And it will fit in a 12m berth

0_e75977078d.jpeg

d_f7d52bf6a8.jpeg

3_20de7cb177.jpeg

1_2cb5fa4ca4.png

Technische Daten Pogo 36

Loa10,86 m

Beam 4,00 m

Displ 3,6t

Draft fixed keel 2,10 m

Draft swingkeel 2,93 - 1,10 m

Upwind SA 74,0 m2

Gennaker 120,0 m2

CE-Entwurfskategorie A (Hochsee)

Konstrukteur Finot-Conq

Interieur Design Roséo Design

From: http://www.yacht.de/yachten_jollen/neue_boote/macht-lust-auf-lange-schlaege/a94615.html

How would this new Pogo compare to other 36 footers like a J111 ?

It won't try and kill you.

The guys I sailed the 30 with had just moved on from a J111. They had it two years and did an Illingworth Challenge (Cowes-le Trinite-Cascais) and a Fastnet as well as 2 years JOG and a J-cup. The 111 was ludicrously fast but constantly trying to buck them off and the interior had collapsed at least once. The Pogo on the other hand is as stable as any platform I've sailed on.

You have to 100% sign up to the minimalist ethos. Add weight anywhere and turn it into a dog. I mean it .... if you get your head fully round it you will have a permanent smile, but stray from the true path at your peril.

as elegant as a razor....

It's almost like they took the front half of the 12.50, and the back half of the 30. Like they decided the 12.50 didn't need that big a cockpit, better to use the 30's.

The rig is almost on the longitudinal centre line, perhaps even behind the keel, huge fore-triangle on the rig

Want one!

Add weight anywhere and turn it into a dog.

That is utter bullshit...

Pogos react just like any other boat : more weight = less speed.

They just have more speed than the others to begin with !

To think that the guys at Finot-Conq don't also consider the boat at full load is just plain stupid.

The whole talk about how Pogos would be more sensitive to weight than other boats is just a "commercial" argument invented by the competition who can't build boats this light...

RedFlag - I am not knocking the concept, just understanding it, unlike you. I sell several each year and love them, but you do have to sign up" to the philosophy. I have seen owners who added too much weight, and can tell you just how much the boat's handling and performance changes. The concept is valid, it works ... accept and enjoy.

Anyone seen pricing on this yet? Presumably close to the 1050. Have a build slot on a 30 but this could interest me in a switch. 3 cabin layout looks a bit chartery to me though, like the storage aft on the 30.

I was worried about my options list adding extra weight, and I queried Structures about the performance hit I should expect.( This was against the stated performance figures.) The answer came back as none. This leads me to assume the numbers provided were factored with the full tare weight, and on the supplied numbers I'm going to be a happy enough!

SB

0_e75977078d.jpeg

If that's how she sits on her LWL I likey... the 12.50 rests on 8 feet of water across her transom at light displacement... sticky in the light airs even with you and your trophy wife on the low side rail...

RedFlag - I am not knocking the concept, just understanding it, unlike you. I sell several each year and love them, but you do have to sign up" to the philosophy. I have seen owners who added too much weight, and can tell you just how much the boat's handling and performance changes. The concept is valid, it works ... accept and enjoy.

These boats create their own virtuous cycle.

First they are light and fast. So that alone attracts only a certain breed of cat. And when you get on and see and FEEL the lightness built in, you start going through your kit for heavy bits you don't need. But at the end of the day you still bring enough for the good life, and then spend 4 hours at 15 knots between Santorini and Paros.

To think that the guys at Finot-Conq don't also consider the boat at full load is just plain stupid.

The whole talk about how Pogos would be more sensitive to weight than other boats is just a "commercial" argument invented by the competition who can't build boats this light...

I fully agree with you RedFlag.

Just an example of what you can do on a fully loaded Pogo12.50 with dinghy, outboard, 400lt full tanks, spare anchor, extra chain, and lots of charter gear that a racer would leave at home:

That was the first time those guys jumped on a Pogo12.50 in March 2015. In just just four days of chartering they clocked 300nm day sailing only.

ya gotta keep anything light.

Sailing on the 50s on SF Bay I'm amazed that folks show up ready for the southern ocean. I ask them to wear their gear on the boat, leave the bags behind. Keep that sort of discipline going and you'll be ok.

about 3 years from now I'll be in the market for something like this.

Just an example of what you can do on a fully loaded Pogo12.50 with dinghy, outboard, 400lt full tanks, spare anchor, extra chain, and lots of charter gear that a racer would leave at home:

That was the first time those guys jumped on a Pogo12.50 in March 2015. In just just four days of chartering they clocked 300nm day sailing only.

Just looking at that vid, I couldn't see any vang? Not fitted to these boats?

Just looking at that vid, I couldn't see any vang? Not fitted to these boats?

Sort of. Because of the angled boom, the goose-neck is so close to the deck it makes a traditional vang impossible. So it uses a combination vang/preventor; basically an adjustable dyneema loop you see in the pic running thru the low friction ring on the boom. You have to move it from side to side. I thought we would miss it, but mostly you don't due to the HUGE traveler. Makes gibing interesting however.

Looks like they're edging towards the scow bow. I like this boat a lot. If I had the money, resale value is high. alas, no money for me, only potato.

Structures mentioned in the development of the Pogo 3 there were a lot of advantages to the scow bow, but the sad fact was a fuller flatter bow has a disadvantage commercially, as it doesn't sell well. So their needs to be a compromise to be able to still sell boats.

SB

Concerning the Pogo3, I do not think aesthetics play any big role, we are talking about racing here. I am not so sure about egos though... David Raison's scow bow mini came out of "nowhere" and blasted all of them, to some extent is was bit intimidating for (at least) mini designers.

As for the Pogo36 they certainly try to increase the bow volume keeping in mind aesthetics as well but most importantly comfort, the only downside of the scow bow. We told Pogo that if they were to design a scow bow boat we would be the first ones to buy it for charter! After all aesthetics and fashion are changing...Similar things are still said for the wide aft sections as if we were talking about chicks, not boats :D

Sign up to the Structures mailing list. They send out periodic updates. The pricing sheet was sent out some weeks ago.

That picture is an adult toy store. Just can't find someone who would not like to own a Pogo.

Also - I thought someone here maybe Shaggybaxter or someone with a Pogo on order posted that a 50 footer was sold and being built. But that is definitely the 36 behind the clear plastic. The cabin top looks better to me now compared to the original images. I think Bob Perry wrote that the cabin top design comes from feedback from solo or two person crew who want to have some forward vision when at the galley or standing up inside the cabin. We will likely see many more designs that try to increase forward cabin vision that are aimed at the solo racer or two person higher performance segment.

As for the looks of this boat I think the only part that matters is the stern.

Im sad or ________ ........ the eyes seem to say but being able to see ahead whilst below is a winner especially short handed

c_cef79bbe19.jpeg

Im sad or ________ ........ the eyes seem to say but being able to see ahead whilst below is a winner especially short handed

c_cef79bbe19.jpeg

Reminds me of a stormtrooper helmet!

the 12.5 looks WAY better.

Agree.

Beautiful little big boat! Fast and roomy. Sick ride. Really not fair to compare it to the bigger, more powerful brother the 12.50.

I mean, 12.50 is really nice, but the Pogo 50 is even better.

The only thing I'm not diggin with the look of the 36 is the tillers. Much better looking if they could be shaped such that the grips point forward.

Structures is a great operation with great people. Very much enjoyed my visit with them last year.

i like the hard chine look. transom looks nice and roomy.

from the front it does look a bit sad the way the windows slope.

Surely the 36 is so quick people are only ever seeing it from behind anyway?

Vision Forward, the Black Soo, van de Stad design. Actually all around view through plexiglass roof. Jean-Yves Terlain had something similar on a 60' designed by Joubert-Nivelt.

post-32003-0-70951500-1474504078_thumb.jpg

post-32003-0-27518500-1474504112_thumb.jpg

post-32003-0-11091400-1474504146_thumb.jpg

Some pics after our test sail. Back to land with a big smile!

Looks PERFECT for April.

Looks PERFECT for April.

Delivery is scheduled in the Mediterranean side of France in mid March, so it is very probable that we will have the Pogo36 ready for charter in Greece even in early April. But we do not want to promise that right now. As soon as we know for sure, we will announce it, so if you have some flexibility in your schedule, you are more than welcome!

Looks PERFECT for April.

Delivery is scheduled in the Mediterranean side of France in mid March, so it is very probable that we will have the Pogo36 ready for charter in Greece even in early April. But we do not want to promise that right now. As soon as we know for sure, we will announce it, so if you have some flexibility in your schedule, you are more than welcome!

Glad you had a big smile, but we want to know some details about your test sail and your impressions. :)

Did I hear the 36 just win an Euro boat of the year tin cup?

Congrats to Structures if so, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.