micha571

new Pogo 36 - any intel?

We just ordered one - well, at least paid the deposit to get a production slot. More details as they come to hand. :D

We've sailed an S&S 34 for 5 years, and been hosted on a friend's Pogo 12.50 which is awesome.

IRC racers need not apply. Off-wind cruisers, very much yes!

Congrats!! How far out are they booked?

We just ordered one - well, at least paid the deposit to get a production slot. More details as they come to hand. :D

We've sailed an S&S 34 for 5 years, and been hosted on a friend's Pogo 12.50 which is awesome.

IRC racers need not apply. Off-wind cruisers, very much yes!

Congrats!! How far out are they booked?

2 years! :(

Congrats. You'll love it, the finish on Shaggy's boat is first class & the layout & hardware is very well thought out. You can clearly see they are built by sailors.

Well done! Keep us posted on your progress. These are very intriguing boats for me & seem to demonstrate real forward progress for sporting cruisers at a time where I mostly see devolution. Would love to see some on the US West Coast... anyone game out there? Would they even get up onto a plane in SoCal light air (say 8-12kts)? Can you get a tall rig?

seems like the perfect boat for the light air PNW here in Seattle!

I would like to agree with you, but I can't. The Pogo 30 in Seattle hasn't had much success. I think the boat really needs big breeze for the form stability upwind to work and the planing ability downwind to work. In light air, the wetted surface area and not so high SA/Disp ratio aren't in its favor. Either that or the PHRF 75 rating is just unrealistic.

Okay, the 36 does have a higher SA/Disp ratio than the 30. Maybe it will move. I'm still skeptical. Nothing I've seen from the 30 or the Pogo 12.5 suggests these designs go well in light air, at all. Do you have evidence to suggest otherwise? Happy to be wrong. I love the Pogo's, but I personally wouldn't buy one for the Salish Sea. SF Bay would be great.

As Roleur said...it's just not. Light air is the enemy of high form stability boats like this. J35's walk all over it in typical PNW conditions.

I would like to agree with you, but I can't. The Pogo 30 in Seattle hasn't had much success. I think the boat really needs big breeze for the form stability upwind to work and the planing ability downwind to work. In light air, the wetted surface area and not so high SA/Disp ratio aren't in its favor. Either that or the PHRF 75 rating is just unrealistic.

Yes these boats need some wind. In light wind, you need to shift all the weight you can forward and to leeward to get the fat ass out of the water. I think that the newer ones are better, the pogo 8.50 was really struggling in light winds.

As Roleur said...it's just not. Light air is the enemy of high form stability boats like this. J35's walk all over it in typical PNW conditions.

That's not the case at least for Pogo 36. Don't worry about her light air performance! Which J35? It's just another league! Even newest J112 can't beat Pogo 36 upwind in light air! )) Downwind all is clear - Pogo starts planning from just 12 knots of true wind.

Experts opinion:

Charly Fernbach, Pogo Structures:

“Comparing the Pogo 10.50 from the year 2007, we made a lot of smaller and some bigger changes to the hull to furthermore improve upwind and light wind performance. When we did the sea trials during the European Yacht Of The Year against the J-112 our Pogo had a little superior performance in terms of pointing and speed in 10 knots of wind. Compared to the Pogo 40, a boat from the year 2005 – this new Pogo 36 is a better yacht. She is much more versatile. The Pogo 36 will plane early and overall we managed to fix some other difficulties that aroused in older boats.”

http://no-frills-sailing.com/the-new-pogo-36/

Toby Hodges. Yachting World, Britain:
"Gone are any past notions of these beamy designs being sticky in the light breeze. The Pogo will match any ‘traditional’ narrow hull shape upwind – then smoke it offwind. A Pogo guarantees fast cruising fun – but the performance in light airs of the 36 was a pleasant surprise. The build quality throughout is also first class. Pogo have made a concerted effort to make their interiors more comfortable for cruising and it shows. For me it’s the most exciting monohull of 2016."
Other experts: http://interestingsailboats.blogspot.ru/2017/01/european-performance-cruiser-of-2017.html

Bump...

Contacted Pogo and the order lead time estimate currently  3.5 years (congrats to them!) and they also mentioned  something of a bump up in demand from the US.  So... anyone have one, or have one on order, or sailed /raced one? Please share any sailing impressions/comparisons or photos if willing!

Hey Ols, I've just received mine 6 weeks ago. Amazing boat. Go and check out my Instagram (@the.pogo.life) for some video & first impressions.  Also PM me for questions if you have any. 

Ours splashed on Friday :) 

Just under 2 y from order to splash... we got lucky.

• Like 1

Received an email from Pogo yesterday 

Here, (finally!) Some news from Pogo 36.

First of all, there is good news: we have increased our production rate over the past few months, which has enabled us to open production slots. The waiting list is now moving faster than what was announced to you when you ordered.  Do not hesitate to contact me to make a point on your project.

You will find attached the price of the standard for 2020, as well as the 2019 options list which will be updated at the beginning of the year 2020. You will also find a standard estimate of boat ready to sail ( 2019 prices).

The first 43 boats sail on all the oceans of the world! On the maps below, in green, the current position of the ships already delivered. In pink, the boats ordered.

In Europe :

the rest of the World :

Previous post took out the maps. 

Everything starts with the structural bulkheads. 40 different molds !

image.png

2 hours ago, svitale said:

You will find attached the price of the standard for 2020, as well as the 2019 options list which will be updated at the beginning of the year 2020. You will also find a standard estimate of boat ready to sail ( 2019 prices).

You left out the best part.

5 hours ago, svitale said:

image.png

image.png

I'll have to let them know the Aussie green dot needs to move about 1000kms further south to Newcastle.

On 2/9/2019 at 3:09 AM, ols said:

Bump...

Contacted Pogo and the order lead time estimate currently  3.5 years (congrats to them!) and they also mentioned  something of a bump up in demand from the US.  So... anyone have one, or have one on order, or sailed /raced one? Please share any sailing impressions/comparisons or photos if willing!

Even though it sucks when you're waiting, it is so good to see boat manufacturers with a stuffed order book.

Quality sells, eh?