Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skippertom

Barcelona World Race 2015

Good lineup? I love this race, but only 7 boats? Weren't there 15 or so last time? Only Nandor Fa has a new boat and only one boat is even last generation. The only way Hugo Boss can lose is to break. Friggin' Kingfisher is racing. That thing is as old as Noah's Ark. Sailed enough miles to go to the moon and back, I think. Love the race, but this is kinda sad.

The race has reflected the financial condition of Spain in general and its owner, the FNOB, since its inception, and things are still pretty rough there. The Route Du Rhum doesn't help either.

Well, 80% of the fans will be able to celebrate a podium finish.

I'm really looking forward to this one even though there are fewer boats. Still some big names in it.

Spain has 24.4% unemployment currently. Unimaginable. Just happy that they can run this race.

I think they've cut out the Cook Straight bit in NZ that was part of previous races and I saw something yesterday that looked like there would be no Ice gates, at least that's what it looked like, I'm probably wrong. The race notice says that they still allow pit stops if needed.

Good to have a race on the classic round the world route going on in my view. Just can't get into the VOR with its mickey mouse course.

You think the bow mods to Stamms new ride will allow it to keep pace with the former Virbac? I'm not up on the full mods to Stamms boat, but sounds optimistic to me.

Like I said, Hugo Boss, unless they break something. If we are lucky, at least we'll get a good race out of these two. If one of them breaks, it will be a parade.

Just found out that Conrad Coleman is going as Nandor Fa's co-skipper. That's great news for both of them. A little remembered fact, in the last GOR, Sam Goodchild fell overboard at the end of the second leg, and Conrad was able to retrieve him. They went on to finish first well ahead of Campaign de France and Ross Field's boat. Kind of a big deal, and nice to have someone with that experience as a co-skipper. They arrived to Barcelona from NYC a few days ago.

nice Q&A with late comer Conrad Colman, where he mentions the MOB with Goodchild. (Crazy stuff, Sam was not wearing a lifejacket...incredible recovery from Conrad in 35 knots of breeze).

Interesting pair of skippers on Spirit of Hungary, youngest with oldest. Let's see how this one develops.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2014/12/23/conrad-colman-doublehanded-non-stop-around-world/

TEXT:

The Barcelona World Race is the first and only doublehanded, non-stop, round the world race, with the third edition set to commence on December 31. Eight teams will race IMOCA 60s from Barcelona to Barcelona, putting the capes of Good Hope, Leeuwin and Horn to port and the Antarctic to starboard.
The youngest skipper of the 2014-15 edition is Conrad Colman, who hopes the race will prove a useful stepping stone for his main goal, to compete at the Vendee Globe 2016-17. That has been his target since he got into solo and shorthanded ocean racing seven years ago. Almost on a sailing boat, Conrad grew up in New Zealand, before spending four years in land-locked Colorado Springs, where he graduated in Political Science and Economics and set up an innovative bike building business.
But since 2008 the Kiwi/American has called Brittany his home, has a French fiancée and has worked as preparateur, rigger, and sailmaker for IMOCA projects. Now here he is making ready for his second ocean race around the world, aboard Spirit of Hungary, alongside Hungarian sailing legend Nandor Fa (the first non-French to compete in the Vendée Globe).
Here Conrad provides an update…
How does a semi-pro bike racer in land-locked Colorado end up in the professional shorthanded sailing circuit?
After university and co-founding my own bike business, I opted to hang a right! If you want to explore the world, you can’t allow yourself to sit around. I sold my venture, bought a 31 feet catamaran in Italy and sailed it shorthanded to England. After that, I’ve set a course for the Vendée Globe, my ultimate goal. I don’t have a plan B. I’m a sailor because it’s the only activity in the world, which groups together all the elements I need in my daily life: sport, business, adventure, and project management.
What is you national allegiance then, you hold Kiwi and American passports but speak perfect French, live and work in France and embrace the French culture?
I am very proud to be all, and none of these things at the same time. I grew up a New Zealander but I am proud of being American too without being too chest-thumpy about it. Now, I am more French than most of the English speaking sailors in solo sailing, with the exception of Damian Foxall, in fact I think and dream in French a lot of the time. I see myself as someone who can take the best of each country and culture. Kiwis have the history of doing a lot with a very little. Team New Zealand embody that for such a long time, delivering world beating performances with a fraction of the budget. The American side is big, exciting and innovative. And culturally a lot of both of these sides are found in Brittany.
What have been your progressions to get to this stage?
Like a lot of sailors before me, I began with the Mini 6.50 Class. I did my first solo transatlantic on a Mini in 2009 before moving up into the Class40 the following year to compete in the Route du Rhum. From there I linked onto the Global Ocean Race, a Class40 double-handed round the world race with stopovers. We won four of the five legs of the race, each time with a different co-skipper, and secured outright victory.
But the Global Ocean Race was not without incident.
My best and worst memory are intimately linked. On approaching New Zealand, on the second leg of the Global Ocean Race, my co-skipper, Sam Goodchild, fell overboard without a lifejacket. After 35 minutes of anguish, carrying out a search in a swell, with 35 knots of breeze, fog and virtually zero visibility, I managed to locate him. It was a hellish 35 minutes, thinking of the possibility that I could lose him. There are no words that can describe that. Even though recovering him was indescribably satisfying, I never ever again want to feel that I have someone’s life in my hands
You are joining Fa after his planned co-skipper cancelled less than a month ago. Having never raced together, how does that influence the way you will approach this race?
It’s true. But I have spent so much of my racing life sailing downwind, the Route du Rhum, racing round the world and so on, and so we can do that. But I am a big believer in getting the potential problems with manouvres out of the way. I truly believe that to be a competitive sailor you need to have all of your manouvres as second nature, so you can fully exploit your routing. You need to be able to react when you have to. So we plan to go out and doing 20 tacks or 20 gybes, back to back to back. Next week we hope to have the time to do that. So I will be walking around like a Zombie after that!
How would you describe your alliance?
We are both outsiders in the sense that he has a fantastic legacy in being the first non-French skipper to finish the Vendee Globe and I want to be the first Kiwi/American to do the Vendee Globe. We have both shaped our life around this race. Neither of us have ever worked in a big team, either as a skipper or a preparateur. We are both very flexible, very hands on and so I think that is a great foundation which might not immediately be apparent to observers.
We are the youngest guy in the race and the oldest, we have someone from New Zealand-America and someone from Hungary. Our native languages are about as far apart as you can get, and yet the way we approach things is very similar, we are both very practical and work very well together. Quite by chance we have the roots of a really great union.

A good article from the HB manager--interesting view of what it takes to manage a sponsorship (and that the mast walk was worth £5m in PR value) http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/news/articles/bossing-the-business

Regarding the racing,

And the two boats, who will win?

We are lucky because we know Neutrogena boat very well (it was Hugo Boss in the Vendée Globe) from the Vendée Globe. It is one of our strengths as 5 West that we have now been around now for quite a few years now and we have a decent amount of expertise on the team. We have learned so many lessons from the 11 years of operation. We know Neutrogena very well from the Vendée Globe and we are very comfortable with it. We know it is reliable. We went through it literally fibre by fibre before the Vendée Globe and subsequently and so it is very well prepared, in some ways perhaps better than the new Hugo Boss. It is a new boat from Jean-Pierre Dick and we have had to put a lot of work into it. We did a lot of ballast changes, a new keel. We did some work on the mast which is the original. We had the designers re-do the geometry. We made small changes to the structure to improve the strength, stiffness and shape. A lot of it is small stuff. When people talk about small changes a lot of them are tiny. We have slightly lowered the fences on the rudders for example, we have changed how the stacking systems work. We have slightly improved the hydraulic control systems, how the electronics work.

You think the bow mods to Stamms new ride will allow it to keep pace with the former Virbac? I'm not up on the full mods to Stamms boat, but sounds optimistic to me.

Like I said, Hugo Boss, unless they break something. If we are lucky, at least we'll get a good race out of these two. If one of them breaks, it will be a parade.

Stamm and Le Cam are my picks

Just found out that Conrad Coleman is going as Nandor Fa's co-skipper. That's great news for both of them. A little remembered fact, in the last GOR, Sam Goodchild fell overboard at the end of the second leg, and Conrad was able to retrieve him. They went on to finish first well ahead of Campaign de France and Ross Field's boat. Kind of a big deal, and nice to have someone with that experience as a co-skipper. They arrived to Barcelona from NYC a few days ago.

+1

Conrad is a legend. Youngest skipper in this race too.

I understand there've been some build issues with Spirit of Hungary - hopefully now all sorted.

+1

I understand there've been some build issues with Spirit of Hungary - hopefully now all sorted.

Yeah, Fa originally planned to do the New York Barcelona race as a shakedown event for his new boat. Upon arriving to New York, they found that there was serious delamination in the hull, so bad that the boat had to be shipped back to Hungary. They cut open the hull and found that the core material was wrongly specd, so they had to remove most of the outer layers, replace the core and relaminate. So he didn't have much chance to do sea trials with the new boat, except during the Adritaic - Barcelona cruise in the past days.

Nandor said that he counted on the boat being stronger than the others, so he could push it harder. It will be interesting to watch how this works out. He certainly has the balls to push it hard.

When are these guys likely to be rounding Cape Horn? I'm wondering if they might be there at the same time as the Volvo boats in their Leg 5.

^The BWR leaders will have rounded Cape Horn before the VOR fleet leaves Auckland.

+1

Yeah, Fa originally planned to do the New York Barcelona race as a shakedown event for his new boat. Upon arriving to New York, they found that there was serious delamination in the hull, so bad that the boat had to be shipped back to Hungary. They cut open the hull and found that the core material was wrongly specd, so they had to remove most of the outer layers, replace the core and relaminate. So he didn't have much chance to do sea trials with the new boat, except during the Adritaic - Barcelona cruise in the past days.

Nandor said that he counted on the boat being stronger than the others, so he could push it harder. It will be interesting to watch how this works out. He certainly has the balls to push it hard.

Ouch!! That's a f*k-up!

I didn't realise how under-prepared this team actually is. Funny to hear Conrad and Nandor interviewing each other.

They have a great attitude, but I can't see this campaign being on the pace up front. Hopefully it all holds together, they do well and I'm wrong.

I didn't realise how under-prepared this team actually is. Funny to hear Conrad and Nandor interviewing each other.

They have a great attitude, but I can't see this campaign being on the pace up front. Hopefully it all holds together, they do well and I'm wrong.

Under prepared, I'm not sure. Under funded, definitley. Descpite the fact that Hungary isn't particularly noted as a great ocean faring nation, Nandor has a good track record in ocean racing. I think this is his third or fourth self-built 60 footer. He built the first one for the 1990 BOC Challenge, which he came in last, but did finish.

His very good at self-marketing and securing sponsorship, but still I'm sure his team has the least funding.

And, as some jokingly say, he is good at floating as his familiy name 'Fa' means wood in Hungarian.

Who to cheer for? Sentimental lineup. My head has too little info at this time , so here goes:

Hugo Boss; Alex Thomson and Pepe Ribes (because I followed them in past races, but reluctant to cheer for favourites).

We Are Water; Bruno Garcia and Willy Garcia (because I like Spanish efforts ).

Spirit of Hungary; Nandor Fa and Conrad Colman (because I like dark horses and NZ efforts; age and cunning + youth and enthusiasm)

GAES; Anna Corbella and Gerard Marín (because I followed Anna in the RdeR, Sam and SCA)
Neutrogena; Guillermo Altadill and José Muñoz (hmmm. A Latin alternative to French and American news, OK)
Renault Captur; Jörg Riechers and Sébastien Audigane (no idea yet)
One Planet One Ocean; Aleix Gelabert and Didac Costa (no idea yet)
Cheminees; Bernard Stamm and Jean Le Cam (just because. The French have lots of support)
Looking forward to following this race for the first time, and wonder who will win the fans.

Bruno and Willy are brothers, being involved in the Minitransat for years. They have one very cute mini, 240. Did one MT together, though a solo race, after a week or so they stayed close together. Talks went it was a promise to mum.

Must be special to do a non stop world race starting in your homestead.

Gerard Marin, his clame to fame, Acores race in a Pogo2, he smoked all protos. Very nice fellow.

Who to cheer for? Sentimental lineup. My head has too little info at this time , so here goes:

Hugo Boss; Alex Thomson and Pepe Ribes (because I followed them in past races, but reluctant to cheer for favourites).

Spirit of Hungary; Nandor Fa and Conrad Colman (because I like dark horses and NZ efforts; age and cunning + youth and enthusiasm)

GAES; Anna Corbella and Gerard Marín (because I followed Anna in the RdeR, Sam and SCA)

Neutrogena; Guillermo Altadill and José Muñoz (hmmm. A Latin alternative to French and American news, OK)

Cheminees; Bernard Stamm and Jean Le Cam (just because. The French have lots of support)

Looking forward to following this race for the first time, and wonder who will win the fans.

Would love to see Bernard and Jean win this one, the guys on neutrogena will be worth watching as well.

The part rebuild of SofH must be at the back of those guys minds as well, along with few other things.

Edit

Especially after reading this on the main site,

Conrad Colman (NZL) Spirit of Hungary:

We have a computer issue. I am hoping that this is not our lack of preparation time rearing its head now. It makes me bit afraid that here we are having thrown it all together at the last minute and hoping that it will gel. There is still a job list but we have the essentials in place, now it is about trying to make the boat safer, more comfortable and faster.

Our sailing the other day was great but we still have four sails we have not seen yet. We have done maybe five gybes together and have not put up the spinnaker yet. That is going to make it tough mentally because everyone is going to be galloping off down the course and we are still working out which rope to pull. But it is what it is. Regardless this is just a great opportunity to be here. We are so far away from the ideal that it is actually less stressful. We go sailing with what we have. The objective is to stay safe and keep the mast in the boat and get to the finish, and we set off knowing that we will get better as we go.

Would love to see Bernard and Jean win this one, the guys on neutrogena will be worth watching as well.

The part rebuild of SofH must be at the back of those guys minds as well, along with few other things.

Edit

We have a computer issue. I am hoping that this is not our lack of preparation time rearing its head now. It makes me bit afraid that here we are having thrown it all together at the last minute and hoping that it will gel. There is still a job list but we have the essentials in place, now it is about trying to make the boat safer, more comfortable and faster.

Our sailing the other day was great but we still have four sails we have not seen yet. We have done maybe five gybes together and have not put up the spinnaker yet. That is going to make it tough mentally because everyone is going to be galloping off down the course and we are still working out which rope to pull. But it is what it is. Regardless this is just a great opportunity to be here. We are so far away from the ideal that it is actually less stressful. We go sailing with what we have. The objective is to stay safe and keep the mast in the boat and get to the finish, and we set off knowing that we will get better as we go.

That worries me too. The last time I heard, "..and we set off knowing that we will get better as we go", or words to that effect, it ended very badly on a charted reef in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

But Conrad is a talented sailor and experienced préparateur and there's no bullshit from him - so, here's hoping SofH will keep it together. Besides, he's a Kiwi. Who else would I support?

On the other hand, I'd love to see Alex Thomson get a win. Followed him in the last VG. I wonder how he feels about racing against his old boat?

[snip]

Edit

That worries me too. The last time I heard, "..and we set off knowing that we will get better as we go", or words to that effect, it ended very badly on a charted reef in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

But Conrad is a talented sailor and experienced préparateur and there's no bullshit from him - so, here's hoping SofH will keep it together. Besides, he's a Kiwi. Who else would I support?

On the other hand, I'd love to see Alex Thomson get a win. Followed him in the last VG. I wonder how he feels about racing against his old boat?

Yes, especially since HB and Neutrogena share the same manager http://www.barcelona...ng-the-business

I want our two boats to be first and second. That is my dream. Equal first would be great. Hugo Boss is the later generation boat and therefore you do expect it to be favourite. That is not a tag that Alex and Pepe are afraid of. Nerves won’t get to them in that sense. The whole Ocean Masters is important to us. We take this seriously and want to win. And for Pepe and Guillermo who are both very proud Barcelona guys they both want to get back here and win this race. And in the modern IMOCA I don’t think there has been a non-French team win a major IMOCA round the world race.

I think we might have put one or two of these on the front page already, but here they are anyway. We adore Jen Edney's eye; she'll be posting more on Facebook and we have a story from her going up on the front page shortly.

Another Clean protegé? Added her to Twitter.

Any recommendations for how else to follow the race?

1. Barcelona World Race

2. twitter

3. Ocean Racing Anarchy

4. other online sailing sites

Can anybody tell me which boat is new and whig one has been which one before? I think HB is new. The others?

I think we might have put one or two of these on the front page already, but here they are anyway. We adore Jen Edney's eye; she'll be posting more on Facebook and we have a story from her going up on the front page shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jen-Edney-Photography/179902732083371

Edney has an eye alright. Nice pics.

Several of the teams seem light on boat time but Spirit of Hungary with "We have done maybe five gybes together and have not put up the spinnaker yet." is taking it to a whole other level, worrying. Seems to fly in the face of prepping for a non-stop RTW race.

I'm picking experience, Bernard and Jean over Alex and Pepe

Going to gamble on a preliminary pick?

Head says, Hugo Boss. Heart says, Spirit of Hungary.

.......what 'sailby' sez ^^,,,but I prefer to cheer the underdogs.....looks like I'll go Hungary for now...

........lets see if they can pull off the ever-critical 4th gybe! :huh::rolleyes:

And . . . an update schedule that will help alleviate VOR stacker addiction :)

But, they allow 5 stealth moves. Ugh.

4. Rankings per day at 5am, 9am, 1400pm and 1900pm UTC.

5. The number of times the crews are allowed to activate stealth mode, allowing them, for tactical reasons, to disappear for 24 hours from the tracking. They can use this tool on each of the five sections of the course. Strait of Gibraltar - Equator; Equator - Cape of Good Hope; Cape of Good Hope - Cape Horn; Cape Horn - equator; Equator - Strait of Gibraltar.

http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/news/news/number-crunching

.....nice!...so much for tearing myself away from the rtw regatta as it traipses across the Sahara,goes begging in bangladesh,,prawn-fishes up Malacca or wherever they are....now there's an actual race! :)

Unlikely to be a lot of close racing, but we do love the two-man format. Last time around was a bit of a farce, with the winner stopping twice for repairs and still winning.

get that heart checked out mate.

Attila Dery co designer with Nandor Fa they also co designed Flaar 8m Pro for short handing on Lake Balaton

Attila Dery co designer with Nandor Fa they also co designed Flaar 8m Pro for short handing on Lake Balaton

Do you think their use of the wrong core is foreshadowing for an early end to their race?

.....nice!...so much for tearing myself away from the rtw regatta as it traipses across the Sahara,goes begging in bangladesh,,prawn-fishes up Malacca or wherever they are....now there's an actual race! :)

Unlikely to be a lot of close racing, but we do love the two-man format. Last time around was a bit of a farce, with the winner stopping twice for repairs and still winning.

>

get that heart checked out mate.

Reckon I might need a pacemaker!!!

...a line-up from the FP.... http://sailinganarchy.com/2014/12/30/eve-of-destruction/

Here’s a short look at the steeds.

The Beauty of an Open Class vs. One Design is that the boats have taken on personalities of their own, a combination of miles sailed, skippers who have driven them, “injuries” they have sustained, improvements and races they’ve won. Below are the stories of the boats competing in the Barcelona World Race 2014/15:

Spirit of Hungary

Nandor Fa / Conrad Colman is the fourth IMOCA 60 designed and built by Nandor Fa. Launched in 2014, the boat is the first model to be built according to the new class rules. The hull, which is carbon fibre, was built at the Pauger shipyard (well-known for RC44s) and Nandor himself undertook some of the work. Following a return to the shipyard due to technical issues, that also prevented the crew from taking part in the IMOCA Ocean Masters New York-Barcelona Race last summer, the Barcelona World Race will be the first great test for Nandor and Conrad’s yacht.

Hugo Boss

Alex Thomson / Pepe Ribes are sailing in the 2014/15 edition of the BWR is the former Virbac Paprec 3, winner of the previous edition of the race and a boat which stands out from the rest in terms of technical innovation. With Jean-Pierre Dick at the helm the boat finished in fourth place in the Vendée Globe 2012/13, despite sailing without a keel for 2,650 miles. Alex Thomson Racing purchased the boat and carried out a comprehensive refit, which included fitting a brand new keel. The IMOCA 60 was back on the water in April 2014 but en route to America for its first race, the IMOCA Ocean Masters New York to Barcelona Race, the yacht dismasted. However, following repairs the new Hugo Boss sealed a victory in the event, her first, with Pepe Ribes and Ryan Breymaier (in place of Alex, whose second child was due to be be born) on board.

Cheminées Poujoulat

Bernard Stamm / Jean Le Cam After losing his JuanK IMOCA 60 to a storm on Christmas Eve in 2013, Bernard Stamm signed a lease/option to replace his Cheminees Poujoulat with Jörg Riechers’ former boat Mare.. This is a yacht from the Farr studio, launched in 2007, taken by Michel Desjoyeaux to Vendée Globe victory in 2008/09 and later sailed to second place in the Barcelona World Race 2010/11 by Iker Martínez and Xabi Fernández. It later took the Vendée Globe 2012/13 start with Jérémie Beyou. The boat has been refitted a number of times to ensure it is up to date with the class rules. Bernard and Jean have also made some changes of their own.

GAES Centros Auditivos

Anna Corbella / Gerard Marín is the former SynerCiel skippered by Jean Le Cam, that finished the Vendée Globe 2012/13 in fifth place. Before that, as Renault Z.E., the yacht was sailed to third place in the Barcelona World Race 2010/11 by Pachi Rivero and Toño Piris. This yacht’s first round the world challenge was the Vendée Globe 2008/09 as Gitana Eighty with Loïck Peyron at the helm, when she incorporated a number of innovative features including a swiveling/tacking interior. Therefore GAES Centros Auditivos really has been performance-tested and was prepared for this edition of the regatta at the FNOB’s Ocean Sailing Base in Barcelona.

Neutrogena

Guillermo Altadill / José Muñoz Built in 2007, Neutrogena is a solid vessel that has demonstrated its impressive potential on many occasions. Above all, this is a boat Guillermo knows well. The Spaniard took the yacht to the start of the first edition of the Barcelona World Race as Estrella Damm, although the crew were forced to abandon the race in South Africa due to rudder issues. The boat then took on the Vendée Globe 2008/09 as BT with Sébastien Josse at the helm. It later became Roland Jourdain’s Veolia Environnement, winning the 2010 Route du Rhum. A year later, the boat donned the colours of Hugo Boss and Guillermo Altadill stepped back on board, joining Alex Thomson for the Transat Jacques Vabre 2011, finishing in second place. The Briton also logged a west-east transatlantic record with this IMOCA 60 and third place in the Vendée Globe 2012/13. Guillermo has been training with what was his former yacht since 2013.

One Planet, One Ocean & Pharmaton

Aleix Gelabert / Dídac Costa will be racing on the formerKingfisher, the boat Ellen MacArthur famously smashed the Atlantic record from Plymouth to Newport with in 2000, taking second place in the Vendée Globe 2000/01 and later a Route du Rhum victory in 2002. It then became Educación Sin Fronteraswith Albert Bargués and Servane Escoffier making their first non-stop, circumnavigation of the planet in the Barcelona World Race 2007/08. In the second edition of the double-handed, round the world challenge Gerard Marín and Ludovic Aglaor raced the yacht re-christened as Fòrum Marítim Català. One Planet, One Ocean & Pharmaton is therefore one of the IMOCA 60 fleet with the highest mileage and number of circumnavigations under its belt. This is a solid and reliable yacht that has recently undergone a thorough inspection at the FNOB Ocean Sailing Base, with special attention paid to the keel and appendages, the steering and the electronic on-board systems

Renault Captur

Jörg Riechers / Sébastien Audigane is a Finot-Conq design launched in July 2007 that Armel Le Cléac’h took to second place in the Vendée Globe 2008/09 in 89 days and 9 hours. Le Cléac’h was also in the driving seat for the yacht’s second place Route du Rhum finish in 2010. The boat underwent a refit in July this year. Over the past few weeks the rigging and appendages have been inspected and work has also been done on the electronics and mast. For this preparation, the team has had an outstanding technical advisor: Bertrand de Broc, the last skipper to compete aboard this IMOCA 60.

We Are Water

Bruno Garcia / Willy Garcia IMOCA 60 won the 2007-08 Barcelona World Race as Paprec- Virbac 2 in the hands of Jean-Pierre Dick and Damian Foxall. It is a Farr design which was built in New Zealand by Southern Ocean Marine, launched in February 2007. Then in the 2010-11 Barcelona World Race it was sailed to fourth place as Estrella Damm by Alex Pella and Pepe Ribes.

More to come on the crew themselves, and their ms are getting along and their thoughts on the race. In the mean time check the BWR site for daily updates and keep up with the skippers as they battle their way around the world!

EdneyAP_BWR_2014_12.30.14_-333-1024x682.

Do you think their use of the wrong core is foreshadowing for an early end to their race?

Its not the best start for a RTW campaign. What's the qualifier for entry?

I believe you have to have a boat and two crew...

Miles, qualifying passage for boat and crew?

Miles, qualifying passage for boat and crew?

Sometimes the comedy doesn't work on the interweb.

10.1. Qualification events: In order to qualify to participate in this Race each Team (Skipper,Co-Skipper and boat) must complete one of the following qualification races with the same boat and crew to be used for the Race:
10.1.1 A 2,800 nautical miles qualification navigation. The qualification navigation must be announced at least one week before the start to allow the Race Organiser to agree on the course details, date and time of the start.
The e-mail of the Race Direction team is: directioncourse@barcelonaworldrace.org
This qualification navigation shall only be valid if the Race Direction team can follow the boat throughout the whole navigation. The qualification navigation must be completed by 23:59 h on 30 October 2014.
Automatic qualification: there will be automatic qualification if skipper and Co-skipper have c ompeted and finished the course in one of the following races:
·
Transat Jacques Vabre 2011 and 2013
·
Vendée Globe 2008 and 2012
·
Barcelona World Race 2007-2008 and 2010- 2011
·
Route du Rhum 2010
·
Transat BtoB 2007 or 2011
·
Global Ocean Race 2011-2012
·
Velux 5 Oceans 2010-2011
·
or if a leg of at least 2,800 miles has been sailed on a boat at the Volvo Ocean Race 11/12 and finished classified in the race
·
Likewise the boat must also have participated and completed some of the above races. This qualification system is subject to changes that will be specified in the final Notice of Race according to the IMOCA criteria.
10.3 The Race organiser and the IMOCA reserve the right to qualify a skipper according to his sailing records.

Clean was faster.

Start in 5 minutes.

Good content but crap live link.

If I had to guess taken from on air TV signal instead from the source...

(Looks very much like a crappy DVB-T signal.)

Live feed appears to have ended just as it got interesting. I think the fleet just did a gibe through about 170 degrees which put AT from first to last.... but can't really tell from tracker. AIS to the rescue once more. BWR joins the VOR and RSHR as having a really bad tracker, although theirs looks like it might be better once it is not an inshore race. If they all just stopped inventing their own shit and worked together, surely something better could be done!

^ The geovoile tracker is used for all IMOCA races as well as the TJV and the RdR. Not perfect by any means, but the inventory of tools and the fact it is remarkably frugal of CPU makes it by far the best I've seen. The glitch at the start concerning HB was obviously that they didn't get the signal from the boat.

The race has reflected the financial condition of Spain in general and its owner, the FNOB, since its inception, and things are still pretty rough there. The Route Du Rhum doesn't help either.

is that why theres no catamarans or tris ? too exxy ?

^ No. It's an IMOCA race. That's why there aren't any multihulls.

^ No. It's an IMOCA race. That's why there aren't any multihulls.

oh

like the Sydney to Hobart ?

No. S2H is not an IMOCA race.

.......light conditions...that'll give the teams a chance to settle in :)

Weather Forecast 31-DEC-2014

Very light conditions are expected on the start line. Some puffs of lingering NWíly, mixed with a new, light and patchy S/SWíly filling up the coast through the afternoon 4-8 knots. Eventually the SWíly will fill off Barcelona 5-9 knots.

Man, how can I get that fucking tracker nearer? it stops by saying 30000%. Wind does´t work either. Shit.

some start pics at ......https://www.flickr.c...57649619877467/

....verry glassy

...I'm glad it's a gentle start so those poor hungarians can get a bite to eat,,,get to know the boat a bit :huh:

NEWS DEC 31, 2015

With 23,450 miles to sail, of course the early advantage to the British-Spanish duo might only appear to be psychological and within the first hour of racing they found themselves snared by the combination of very calm winds and wash from the sizeable spectator fleet, and were passed by the Swiss-French pairing Bernard Stamm and Jean Le Cam on Cheminées Poujoulat, but the main objective for all was to ensure they stay in the lead group on what will be a tricky, challenging descent of the Mediterranean to the exit doors at the Straits of Gibraltar.

....more ..... http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/news/news/sun-and-sons-shine-on-light-winds-race-start

Man, how can I get that fucking tracker nearer? it stops by saying 30000%. Wind does´t work either. Shit.

Tracker is working fine for me. Not sure how often they are updating on this race, 4 or 6 hours I guess. The wind is very light so you have to zoom out a bit to see it on screen but you can also mouse over and see local reported conditions.

Updates every 6 hours, at 0500 0900 1400 and 1900 UTC. The tracker also has an UTC clock. ;)

Maybe they'll change the interval later.

Weather worked for me the whole time. Wind arrows every full degree, the mouse over information is finer, every half degree. There is an integrated weather forecast, up to 96h.

Updates every 6 hours, at 0500 0900 1400 and 1900 UTC. The tracker also has an UTC clock. ;)

Maybe they'll change the interval later.

Weather worked for me the whole time. Wind arrows every full degree, the mouse over information is finer, every half degree. There is an integrated weather forecast, up to 96h.

The GeoVoile tracker is always awesome. Can't understand why VOR doesn't use it.

...a line-up from the FP.... http://sailinganarchy.com/2014/12/30/eve-of-destruction/

Here’s a short look at the steeds.

The Beauty of an Open Class vs. One Design is that the boats have taken on personalities of their own, a combination of miles sailed, skippers who have driven them, “injuries” they have sustained, improvements and races they’ve won. Below are the stories of the boats competing in the Barcelona World Race 2014/15:

Spirit of Hungary

Nandor Fa / Conrad Colman is the fourth IMOCA 60 designed and built by Nandor Fa. Launched in 2014, the boat is the first model to be built according to the new class rules. The hull, which is carbon fibre, was built at the Pauger shipyard (well-known for RC44s) and Nandor himself undertook some of the work. Following a return to the shipyard due to technical issues, that also prevented the crew from taking part in the IMOCA Ocean Masters New York-Barcelona Race last summer, the Barcelona World Race will be the first great test for Nandor and Conrad’s yacht.

Hugo Boss

Alex Thomson / Pepe Ribes are sailing in the 2014/15 edition of the BWR is the former Virbac Paprec 3, winner of the previous edition of the race and a boat which stands out from the rest in terms of technical innovation. With Jean-Pierre Dick at the helm the boat finished in fourth place in the Vendée Globe 2012/13, despite sailing without a keel for 2,650 miles. Alex Thomson Racing purchased the boat and carried out a comprehensive refit, which included fitting a brand new keel. The IMOCA 60 was back on the water in April 2014 but en route to America for its first race, the IMOCA Ocean Masters New York to Barcelona Race, the yacht dismasted. However, following repairs the new Hugo Boss sealed a victory in the event, her first, with Pepe Ribes and Ryan Breymaier (in place of Alex, whose second child was due to be be born) on board.

Cheminées Poujoulat

Bernard Stamm / Jean Le Cam After losing his JuanK IMOCA 60 to a storm on Christmas Eve in 2013, Bernard Stamm signed a lease/option to replace his Cheminees Poujoulat with Jörg Riechers’ former boat Mare.. This is a yacht from the Farr studio, launched in 2007, taken by Michel Desjoyeaux to Vendée Globe victory in 2008/09 and later sailed to second place in the Barcelona World Race 2010/11 by Iker Martínez and Xabi Fernández. It later took the Vendée Globe 2012/13 start with Jérémie Beyou. The boat has been refitted a number of times to ensure it is up to date with the class rules. Bernard and Jean have also made some changes of their own.

GAES Centros Auditivos

Anna Corbella / Gerard Marín is the former SynerCiel skippered by Jean Le Cam, that finished the Vendée Globe 2012/13 in fifth place. Before that, as Renault Z.E., the yacht was sailed to third place in the Barcelona World Race 2010/11 by Pachi Rivero and Toño Piris. This yacht’s first round the world challenge was the Vendée Globe 2008/09 as Gitana Eighty with Loïck Peyron at the helm, when she incorporated a number of innovative features including a swiveling/tacking interior. Therefore GAES Centros Auditivos really has been performance-tested and was prepared for this edition of the regatta at the FNOB’s Ocean Sailing Base in Barcelona.

Neutrogena

Guillermo Altadill / José Muñoz Built in 2007, Neutrogena is a solid vessel that has demonstrated its impressive potential on many occasions. Above all, this is a boat Guillermo knows well. The Spaniard took the yacht to the start of the first edition of the Barcelona World Race as Estrella Damm, although the crew were forced to abandon the race in South Africa due to rudder issues. The boat then took on the Vendée Globe 2008/09 as BT with Sébastien Josse at the helm. It later became Roland Jourdain’s Veolia Environnement, winning the 2010 Route du Rhum. A year later, the boat donned the colours of Hugo Boss and Guillermo Altadill stepped back on board, joining Alex Thomson for the Transat Jacques Vabre 2011, finishing in second place. The Briton also logged a west-east transatlantic record with this IMOCA 60 and third place in the Vendée Globe 2012/13. Guillermo has been training with what was his former yacht since 2013.

One Planet, One Ocean & Pharmaton

Aleix Gelabert / Dídac Costa will be racing on the formerKingfisher, the boat Ellen MacArthur famously smashed the Atlantic record from Plymouth to Newport with in 2000, taking second place in the Vendée Globe 2000/01 and later a Route du Rhum victory in 2002. It then became Educación Sin Fronteraswith Albert Bargués and Servane Escoffier making their first non-stop, circumnavigation of the planet in the Barcelona World Race 2007/08. In the second edition of the double-handed, round the world challenge Gerard Marín and Ludovic Aglaor raced the yacht re-christened as Fòrum Marítim Català. One Planet, One Ocean & Pharmaton is therefore one of the IMOCA 60 fleet with the highest mileage and number of circumnavigations under its belt. This is a solid and reliable yacht that has recently undergone a thorough inspection at the FNOB Ocean Sailing Base, with special attention paid to the keel and appendages, the steering and the electronic on-board systems

Renault Captur

Jörg Riechers / Sébastien Audigane is a Finot-Conq design launched in July 2007 that Armel Le Cléac’h took to second place in the Vendée Globe 2008/09 in 89 days and 9 hours. Le Cléac’h was also in the driving seat for the yacht’s second place Route du Rhum finish in 2010. The boat underwent a refit in July this year. Over the past few weeks the rigging and appendages have been inspected and work has also been done on the electronics and mast. For this preparation, the team has had an outstanding technical advisor: Bertrand de Broc, the last skipper to compete aboard this IMOCA 60.

We Are Water

Bruno Garcia / Willy Garcia IMOCA 60 won the 2007-08 Barcelona World Race as Paprec- Virbac 2 in the hands of Jean-Pierre Dick and Damian Foxall. It is a Farr design which was built in New Zealand by Southern Ocean Marine, launched in February 2007. Then in the 2010-11 Barcelona World Race it was sailed to fourth place as Estrella Damm by Alex Pella and Pepe Ribes.

More to come on the crew themselves, and their ms are getting along and their thoughts on the race. In the mean time check the BWR site for daily updates and keep up with the skippers as they battle their way around the world!

EdneyAP_BWR_2014_12.30.14_-333-1024x682.

This is disappointing-- a good deal of this text is lifted from the BWR website, without attribution.

Thanks for the comedy and the qualification requirements European Bloke.

Some reason I can't reply directly to your post.

This is disappointing-- a good deal of this text is lifted from the BWR website, without attribution.

.....my apologies as appropriate...I credited where I sourced.

,,,,is BWR credited in the full peice on FP? http://sailinganarch...of-destruction/

Ethan B makes a good point--I couldn't find the apt attribution on the FP. The piece there promotes Jen's photos (and text?), and does link generally to the BWR. It was a quick posting, so I imagine the attribution will be clearer in time.

Mad, on a tablet screen I recall having to use landscape orientation to get the quote button to appear. YMMV.

And we have a replay of the 1h start show.

The video is cleaner than the live version, even the comment track got scrubbed off. *g*

So everyone asking for RAW VOR coverage should think before lodging complaints. ;)

The question I never raisse but only in this case:

GAES Centros Auditivos has Anna Corbella and Gerard Martin on board

On a world around the world race with lots of dolldrums and wind-free days; are they going to have sex?

post-17796-0-81264200-1420060874_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-00535600-1420060896_thumb.jpg

Looks more pleasure - able to have mixed couples on board in my humble opinion.

OK....maybe it is just me and the odd way I see/think of things........

SEX in zero gravity.....come on man...come on women....

BTW I picked GAES Centros Auditivos earlier on this thread before I realize it was co-ed

The question I never raisse but only in this case:

GAES Centros Auditivos has Anna Corbella and Gerard Martin on board

On a world around the world race with lots of dolldrums and wind-free days; are they going to have sex?

attachicon.gifAlt_Anna Corbella and Gerard Marin1.jpg

attachicon.gifAlt_GAES Centros Auditivos2.jpg

Looks more pleasure - able to have mixed couples on board in my humble opinion.

Sex in zero gravity was between Bond (Roger Moore) and the bond girl Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) in Moonraker.

post-17796-0-53317100-1420063651.jpg

post-17796-0-72013400-1420063683.jpg

And we have a replay of the 1h start show.

The video is cleaner than the live version, even the comment track got scrubbed off. *g*

So everyone asking for RAW VOR coverage should think before lodging complaints. ;)

Thanks! No complaints, and a happy new year. Cheers

vendee site had story about foam selection problem and 80square meters replaced then outer skin replaced under vacumn

that was in last sept so should be enough time for sound repairs just sailing time and all the other stuff on todo lists problems

Mad, on a tablet screen I recall having to use landscape orientation to get the quote button to appear. YMMV.

Tried that, seems to be an iPad/SA issue, still missing half the functions from the iPad when I try and post pics or media etc.

It's only SA that seems to be pain in the ass.

Thanks, any ideas welcomed

vendee site had story about foam selection problem and 80square meters replaced then outer skin replaced under vacumn

that was in last sept so should be enough time for sound repairs just sailing time and all the other stuff on todo lists problems

80 sq/metres? That's a load of boat to re-core......and replace skins.......and that's before the fairing and painting.

Tried that, seems to be an iPad/SA issue, still missing half the functions from the iPad when I try and post pics or media etc.

It's only SA that seems to be pain in the ass.

Thanks, any ideas welcomed

Posting from iPad Air2 in landscape mode, in "more options" mode. Attached a file to test; worked, then removed the file.