Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

couchsurfer

...Team VESTAS WIND...the resurrection thread.

I asked about the keel....short answer is they are still trying to figure out how to find it. Not visible from the air, and you can't dive in the surf zone if you want to live.

....finding it is one thing,,how to extract it would totally be another :mellow:

>Nico is commentating with me tomorrow!

....excellent!

...for gawd's sake get him to make some specific commentary about the mast..

..already trashed?....not enough time...all good?.........or what?

..........g'night AbaDooby! ;)

Dude, shut the fuck up about the mast already. I told you a week ago exactly what the story was.

I asked about the keel....short answer is they are still trying to figure out how to find it. Not visible from the air, and you can't dive in the surf zone if you want to live.

....finding it is one thing,,how to extract it would totally be another :mellow:

>Nico is commentating with me tom

orrow!

....excellent!

...for gawd's sake get him to make some specific commentary about the mast..

..already trashed?....not enough time...all good?.........or what?

..........g'night AbaDooby! ;)

Dude, shut the fuck up about the mast already. I told you a week ago exactly what the story was.

...5 words doesn't say anything.

There's more than myself who wouldn't mind hearing the details... why. be. a. bitch. ?. :mellow::)

'cause i told ya they chopped the fuckin' thing down, and i told ya why. what else do you want to know???

If you're not looking at the media site regularly...

Team Vestas Wind announce plans to return

(4 minutes of video from the presser)

http://volvooceanrace.synapticdigital.com/NEWS/ALL/Team-Vestas-Wind-announce-plans-to-return-to-the-Volvo-Ocean-Race-by-June/s/210eabc4-5dc3-4043-9cef-afa67f8b56f6

Thanks Renny. Noteworthy is that Chris is "tasked" with the crew review, all crew remain under contract, they'll perhaps race in Volvo 70s (a possibility Clean mentioned), and that Albaek will 100% support Nico's review by the end of the month.

<p>Ok, ready?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Without cutting the mast up, they couldn't get the boat free.  They may have been able to wait a few days for a spring tide, but maybe not.  Either way, having a MAERSK ship standing by costs 6 figures per day, so it's just a calculation.  Cost of tube minus cost of ship = a big fucking saw and a boat being delivered to Malaysia, <em>rapido.  </em>replacing a tube won't hold the program up.  Waiting would.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What else do you want to know?</p>

I was just cleared to interview Wouter today. Won't have video up for a few days (tomorrow early I am flying 14.5 hours to Melbourne, then running a 6-man media team at Moth Worlds will have me working 22 hour days for a while).

I was just cleared to interview Wouter today. Won't have video up for a few days (tomorrow early I am flying 14.5 hours to Melbourne, then running a 6-man media team at Moth Worlds will have me working 22 hour days for a while).

Nice job on the in-port race commentary, MR. CLEAN, thanks. Looking forward to your coverage on Port Phillip Bay.

Something I found elsewhere…. after mining through twatter-world.

"Currently the remains of the boat are being shipped to the builder, Persico, in Italy, with the hull due to arrive on January 26, 2015. The rebuild process was already underway with a purpose built workshop being used aboard the ship, mainly for clean-up, while the boat is en route to Persico. That trip is expected to take three weeks."

....Farr out! :) .......Pat Shaunessey,,Farr yachts..the pres!

Interesting interview, especially when he addresses the question (2:00) of making the rebuild one-design and other teams' concerns. They can make the boat meet OD geometry and weight, but matching stiffness is different.

Also, in response to Clean's point about people saying "wow these boats are tough" (3:29) Pat kinda shrugs and points to the "stringent grounding criteria" of the V70 also.

Good info; thanks for getting that interview.

No worries, Pat's just being modest; no need to rub it in now that FYD has the exclusive to the VOR for the next 6 years!

<p>Ok, ready?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Without cutting the mast up, they couldn't get the boat free.  They may have been able to wait a few days for a spring tide, but maybe not.  Either way, having a MAERSK ship standing by costs 6 figures per day, so it's just a calculation.  Cost of tube minus cost of ship = a big fucking saw and a boat being delivered to Malaysia, <em>rapido.  </em>replacing a tube won't hold the program up.  Waiting would.</p>

<p> </p>

....that seems to fill in the details nicely.....C) they ran out of time for the freighter :mellow:

....although not OD,,I suppose there's possibly still a decent mast available for adding Southern's regatta option sleeves to it.,depending on where the cuts were made :rolleyes:

So, um, news flash: if you copy/paste into the forum, sometimes it screws up the formatting!

didnt' cut and paste. typed it as my VPN crapped out and the forum guessed what I was trying to do

<p>Ok, ready?</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

....that seems to fill in the details nicely.....C) they ran out of time for the freighter :mellow:

....although not OD,,I suppose there's possibly still a decent mast available for adding Southern's regatta option sleeves to it.,depending on where the cuts were made :rolleyes:

I need a new flagpole

didnt' cut and paste. typed it as my VPN crapped out and the forum guessed what I was trying to do

....no ZZZ's tonight? :mellow::huh:

1. 3:43 AMSaturday, January 3, 2015 (GMT+4)

Time in Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates

....that seems to fill in the details nicely.....C) they ran out of time for the freighter

....although not OD,,I suppose there's possibly still a decent mast available for adding Southern's regatta option sleeves to it.,depending on where the cuts were made

I need a new flagpole

...I'm betting Nico and Rectivist are buddies :mellow:
    ...and you're somehow in on the plot <_<
    ....of course some twitface is going to come along and say I'm a drunk parrot or something
    .........seems to be a problem specific to australia for some reason :lol:

<p>Ok, ready?</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

No there is not

You have been told they have masts following the fleet, so WHY are you still parroting on about it & the bulb ( which will only be a phone call to procure),

they were never never going to be the issue,

are you drunk 7 nights a week?

are you drunk 7 nights a week?

Drunk is a kind of stupid that goes away. Put him on ignore and it gets better. Only problem is people keep replying.

No worries, Pat's just being modest; no need to rub it in now that FYD has the exclusive to the VOR for the next 6 years!

Pat's being an engineer IMHO. Call it modest if you like. Written between the lines was "this could have hurt some people, ... <deep exhale>." Nothing said by Pat in this interview surprised me, because it was 100% true.

1. 3:43 AMSaturday, January 3, 2015 (GMT+4)

No, I slept from about 2100 til 0200. Got a bit on and 5 hours is plenty. I am a lot of things, but lazy ain't one of them.

•  

3:43 AMSaturday, January 3, 2015 (GMT+4)

No, I slept from about 2100 til 0200. Got a bit on and 5 hours is plenty. I am a lot of things, but lazy ain't one of them.

sleep when you fly right?

maybe, but all VOR would spring for on late notice (we don't yet have a contract for the rest of the race) was coach class on Etihad, which might as well be a torture chamber. 4 Ambien wasn't enough to get me to sleep on the ride out here, not with me and a huge Marine sandwiching some fat dude from Tajikestan, and his smelly skin rubbing on my arm all flight.

If you don't see me on the microphone in China, it'll be 'cause they want me to fly Etihad coach again. Remember the Royal Navy's hammock spacing? 18" per person. Same as Etihad, or so it feels.

So I have 14.5 hours of that to look forward to, as well as an overall VOR wrap piece to write, a website to fill with copyrighting for a friend, and season 2 of "Upper Middle Bogan" to watch. I think I will work for 3 hours, drink myself silly and mix it with whatever sleeping pills I can scare up, and sleep for 8 hours when I get to MEL.

Actually, I was talking about couchsurfer's post... Looks OK on the regular web page, but on the mobile web page, it messed up the formatting for all subsequent posts. Probably an extra </div> or something like that.

q47toJd.png

maybe, but all VOR would spring for on late notice (we don't yet have a contract for the rest of the race) was coach class on Etihad, which might as well be a torture chamber. 4 Ambien wasn't enough to get me to sleep on the ride out here, not with me and a huge Marine sandwiching some fat dude from Tajikestan, and his smelly skin rubbing on my arm all flight.

If you don't see me on the microphone in China, it'll be 'cause they want me to fly Etihad coach again. Remember the Royal Navy's hammock spacing? 18" per person. Same as Etihad, or so it feels.

So I have 14.5 hours of that to look forward to, as well as an overall VOR wrap piece to write, a website to fill with copyrighting for a friend, and season 2 of "Upper Middle Bogan" to watch. I think I will work for 3 hours, drink myself silly and mix it with whatever sleeping pills I can scare up, and sleep for 8 hours when I get to MEL.

Glad you've found Upper Middle Bogan. That should see you well prepared for the trip by car to Sorrento and what lurks outside the Couta Boat Club.

Hope to meet you down there Clean...

Full audio of last night's press conference. Listen to all of it so I don't have to re-answer any more of the same questions!

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/audios/m33309_2-january-2015---team-vestas-wind-conference-call.mp3

Just some index times for finding bites. Surprised by the frequency of "any more questions?"

9:10 Nico 70-80% deck usable

10:19 scuttlebutt how can all other boats be certain OD
Knut 11:20 VOR measurement team will be present at Persico, scantlings, laser
sailworld 14:36 Albaek; next time dependent on performance of team this time
20 clean keel ongoing
22 Morton no chance 5 days ago, more benefit to going ahead now.
23 gladwell showstoppers; all stakeholders will overcome the bumps
scuttlebutt mast 26:50 cut down; no options ('how' not clear. Guy up the mast? Timber from deck?)
28 insurance costs? sufficient, but not disclosed
29 SW TVW involvement? will be active on all stopovers, China, Aukl, etc; Climate change campaign will also continue
brambly 32: team resilient,
34 Clean
35 majority of crew will be involved at all stopovers
36 reports 2 days ago safety review completed indeed inquiries before the end of the month
Lisbon clear target; anything before is icing. Sails to NS France
39 Morton Some PR value in comeback when no one believes, sail fast tough team to Gothenburg

Scuttlebutt provides some transcription of their question about PR value:

How a sponsor benefits from disaster

Published on January 2, 2015

While no team would purposely crash into a reef, the accident by Team Vestas Wind during the second leg of the Volvo Ocean Race has drawn an epic amount of media attention. Much like when Oracle Team USA capsized under the Golden Gate Bridge while training for the America’s Cup, the mainstream media loves sailing… disasters.

But from a sponsor’s perspective, positive exposure depends not on the incident but the outcome. Team Vestas Wind CEO Morten Albæk believes that any sponsor value gained will not stem from the November 29th grounding in the Indian Ocean, but from getting his team back into the race.

“If the story of Team Vestas Wind ended on that reef, there would be no value. But now that we are striving to return to the race, and make a comeback that many people did not believe to be possible following the accident, there is now a lot of reputation and brand value to be captured. But I must emphasize, and this is to put my skipper under some pressure, any great comeback is a comeback which occurs when nobody believes you can get back and you do well.

“For our sponsor group to make this situation into a great branding success, we need to get back, we need to sail fast, and we need to give the other teams a tough race to the finish. If that is achieved, then whether you are Powerhouse or Vestas, you have a lot of value to capture. But if we didn’t make any comeback, then having a team with my brand name on it that was more known for hitting a reef than for sailing, would have no value. But now we have a lot of value to capture because we are going to make a comeback that has not been seen in sailing sport for decades.”

After removing the boat from the reef on December 21st, the boat is being transported to Persico Marine in Italy for repair. Persico, a member of a consortium of four boatyards that were involved in the Volvo Ocean 65 build process, will seek to have the boat race-ready for the final two legs of the 9-stage race, with the eighth leg beginning early June in Lisbon, Portugal.

- See more at: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/01/02/sponsor-benefits-disaster/#sthash.jqQzk2IZ.dpuf

Half of me is thinking "Wahoo! Awesome!"

The other half of me is thinking "Really, they're (re?)building a 65 foot ocean racing boat to do one, maybe two -- the two shortest -- legs? That's crazy!"

me too. when they were still in Alicante, I decided to get behind Vestas because I like Nicholson, and they were playing catch up. now, after their epic fail, my opinion would be to just call it a loss. yea sure it has a lot to do with ROI, but honestly, if you ain't in the race to race you are just a sideshow. the competitive fire has been doused and that is hard to ignore. just sayin'.

....Farr out! :) .......Pat Shaunessey,,Farr yachts..the pres!

nice to hear from Farr. seems like a pretty straight up dude.

....^^... Shaunessey's posted here a few times,,,a lot farrther than JK ever dared!

Half of me is thinking "Wahoo! Awesome!"

The other half of me is thinking "Really, they're (re?)building a 65 foot ocean racing boat to do one, maybe two -- the two shortest -- legs? That's crazy!"

me too. when they were still in Alicante, I decided to get behind Vestas because I like Nicholson, and they were playing catch up. now, after their epic fail, my opinion would be to just call it a loss. yea sure it has a lot to do with ROI, but honestly, if you ain't in the race to race you are just a sideshow. the competitive fire has been doused and that is hard to ignore. just sayin'.

....'Epic Fail',well put. Not really a better way to describe it.

...Without the bottomless budgets of 'days gone by' ,this resurrection show becomes something of a fizzle. That said,,I do feel there's some hope for a possible Newport start......cwapp, if they threw some re$ource$ at it ,it wouldn't be out of the question to make Brazil ,but those days are gone.

Good transcribing Steif..

..I listened to the recording,,but frankly found the recording quality too painful to focus on it much. :mellow:

I remember it was mentioned somewhere that Vesta's budget remains the same for this debacle. In one way,I feel that's a good message for future sponsors for a defined package. In another way,,it seems strange that V would claim the recovery to reflect their resilience if they're not investing in it.

Full audio of last night's press conference. Listen to all of it so I don't have to re-answer any more of the same questions!

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/audios/m33309_2-january-2015---team-vestas-wind-conference-call.mp3

Just some index times for finding bites. Surprised by the frequency of "any more questions?"

9:10 Nico 70-80% deck usable

10:19 scuttlebutt how can all other boats be certain OD
Knut 11:20 VOR measurement team will be present at Persico, scantlings, laser
sailworld 14:36 Albaek; next time dependent on performance of team this time
20 clean keel ongoing
22 Morton no chance 5 days ago, more benefit to going ahead now.
23 gladwell showstoppers; all stakeholders will overcome the bumps
scuttlebutt mast 26:50 cut down; no options ('how' not clear. Guy up the mast? Timber from deck?)
28 insurance costs? sufficient, but not disclosed
29 SW TVW involvement? will be active on all stopovers, China, Aukl, etc; Climate change campaign will also continue
brambly 32: team resilient,
34 Clean
35 majority of crew will be involved at all stopovers
36 reports 2 days ago safety review completed indeed inquiries before the end of the month
Lisbon clear target; anything before is icing. Sails to NS France
39 Morton Some PR value in comeback when no one believes, sail fast tough team to Gothenburg

It wouldn't surprise me if they are aiming for Lisbon as a realistic goal, and internally aiming for newport. I bet the boat is in the water before newport but shipping it there in time might be questionable. It wouldn't surprise me to learn they put Vesta's back in the water in Italy about the same time every other boat is leaving newport. It would put everyone in Lisbon at roughly the same time, give Vesta a shake down cruise, etc.

I will laugh if the leaders from newport to lisbon are racing into port only to see team Vesta's come out to watch and cheer them in.

It will also suck not being able to see Vesta in Newport next year. (Yes I plan on being there several days I live 90 minutes away barring traffic.)

I will laugh if the leaders from newport to lisbon are racing into port only to see team Vesta's come out to watch and cheer them in.

...or have Vestas meet the fleet mid atlantic,,,but let's not give up on Newport ;)

My understanding is Lisbon is a 'worst case' scenario. TVW has planned for the worst and thus far what they have found is better than worst case and hence there is a saving in time and money which brings a glimmer of hope for Newport. The NDT testing will paint the picture, (the killer seems to be what damage the keel box sustained) but I'm informed work starts within the next 48 hours on laying up the hull section(s), bulkheads and the like. Seems a new hull section from starboard chainplate to front of cockpit port side to transom will be laid up together with associated bulkheads and a new deck from Starboard chainplate to Traveller bulkhead to transom created as well albeit in some sections for ease of transport.

My understanding is the other teams agreed in Abu Dhabi that a whole series of spares will go to TVW to speed up the process as was the offer of shore crew labour from some teams whilst not required for stopovers. About 70% of all the spares/components needed are already on hand. The carbon for the structures has been the issue in sourcing and my understanding partly as to why the boat will be rebuilt. The other reason is apparently the shortfall between insurance payout and the cost of building a boat in 4 months.

Nico, Neil Cox & Rob Salthouse moving to Persico ASAP. Other crew to join periodically.

My understanding is Lisbon is a 'worst case' scenario.

Lisbon is 70% likely. Newport is 10% likely. Lorient is 20% likely.

If I can't get my Chinese visa in time, or if VOR decide they can't afford to bring me in for Sanya, I will fly to Persico for a couple days to report from there.

....I'll go with NZL's very detailed report 2 posts up.... a finger on the pulse forsure .

...already travelling Clean?...how's the flight? ;)

The last audio update from TVW was hard to hear but did I hear Chris mumble something about using a volvo 70 to play with until repairs are complete?

.....^^....:50...excellent screen grab of the nav software! :lol::lol:

...some good material here......

.....but maybe the guys should start-off in your pond!5-mistakes-dunce-cap.jpg

...some good material here......

.....but maybe the guys should

That is an RC furling genaker. Where the heck can I buy that and take my money NOW!!!!!

Damn that is friggin cool.

http://www.stockmaritime.com/modellboote/boote.php?id_bilder=393164&id2=&m=&id4=&id5=&ret=0

...cripes...kanting keels too! :mellow::blink:

..if the economy $lide$ much further,,these may become the boat-of-choice!

I don't see the canting keel version on their website, however unless someone has 2.500 euros I can borrow and not pay back I don't see one without a canting keel in my future. damn I need to hit the lottery or rob a bank.

I don't see the canting keel version on their website,

...they show one ~ midway in the above video

I don't see the canting keel version on their website,

...they show one ~ midway in the above video

I was checking out their website. they sell those boats. They are made in Hamburg, Germany. out of carbon fiber. I couldn't find the option or accessory to see how much a canting keel system would cost.

My understanding is Lisbon is a 'worst case' scenario.

Lisbon is 70% likely. Newport is 10% likely. Lorient is 20% likely.

If I can't get my Chinese visa in time, or if VOR decide they can't afford to bring me in for Sanya, I will fly to Persico for a couple days to report from there.

Happy to buy you a beer in Sorrento or Melbourne Mr. Clean if you're still in town. I'm aiming to be in town by Friday. Currently in my old back yard of Lake Macquarie. PM me if interested.

I don't see the canting keel version on their website, however unless someone has 2.500 euros I can borrow and not pay back I don't see one without a canting keel in my future. damn I need to hit the lottery or rob a bank.

http://www.stockmaritime.com/modellboote/vo70/index.php

Looks to me like the canting keel model is the vo70

The last audio update from TVW was hard to hear but did I hear Chris mumble something about using a volvo 70 to play with until repairs are complete?

Team Brunel has graciously offered TVW one of their spare boats to use until their new boat is ready.

IMG_6219_zpsa9c079f1.jpg

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/8246_The-Malaysian-operation.html

That’s on June 7, 2015. In six months time.

“Let me be really clear, the boat’s a mess, almost everywhere key structure is broken and this will not be easy,” Coxy admits.

“Every minute we get ahead here in Malaysia might save us an hour or even a day somewhere down the road, and trust me, we will need every hour of the next months.”

On January 6, the boat will be loaded onto the MV Stockholm bound for Genoa in Italy where it will arrive around January 25.

Happy to buy you a beer in Sorrento or Melbourne Mr. Clean if you're still in town. I'm aiming to be in town by Friday. Currently in my old back yard of Lake Macquarie. PM me if interested.

...sounds like an offer worth taking up! ;)

..I listened to the recording,,but frankly found the recording quality too painful to focus on it much. :mellow:

I remember it was mentioned somewhere that Vesta's budget remains the same for this debacle. In one way,I feel that's a good message for future sponsors for a defined package. In another way,,it seems strange that V would claim the recovery to reflect their resilience if they're not investing in it.

Not to mention the risk to their corporate image. Think about it. What if they fuck up again? This has to be the most pointless sailing project since Reed Stowe.

Not to mention the risk to their corporate image. Think about it. What if they fuck up again? This has to be the most pointless sailing project since Reed Stowe.

....yeh,,,resurrection becomes recovery becomes resuscitation......for what? By the time they're going to extent of actually piecing together the hull ,let alone all the other components,,you gotta wonder what shoestring operation the VOR is becoming!?

Sure it'll be amazing to see #7 back on the water and see how the weight goes, but who'll actually trust this Frankenvesta the next go-round in what will only become a much tighter OD race than now?

what. is. the. point. of. this. half. job? .........too little too late :mellow:

Have you submitted your best personal comeback story?

www.improveyourposition.nl

.......really!? :mellow::wacko: .....

Improve you position

Het is bij ondernemen belangrijk om op het juiste moment de juiste beslissingen te nemen. Wij zien hierin prachtige parallellen met de zeilsport en in het bijzonder met Team Vestas Wind, dat met Wouter Verbraak een Nederlandse topnavigator aan boord heeft. Team vestas is continue bezig met het verbeteren en/of vasthouden van hun posities.

Ga naar powerhouse.nlvoor meer informatie.

image_591.png

This has opened new doors.

Everytime I find myself stuck, or I miss a turn, or stub a toe I just yell " Wouter!, where's Wouter!"

It doesn't help my situation but it does eliminate some stress....

I'm gonna name my next dog Wouter... Oh the fun we'll have... Chasing balls through closed screen doors...

Everytime I find myself stuck, or I miss a turn, or stub a toe I just yell " Wouter!, where's Wouter!"

I'm gonna name my next dog Wouter... Oh the fun we'll have... Chasing balls through closed screen doors...

It already makes history in my family. Every time someone bumps into something (like hitting the bed post with a toe) or asks whether the parking slot is big enough, someone else says "40 meters". You can't imagine how many opportunities there are to mumble "40 meters"...

It already makes history in my family. Every time someone bumps into something (like hitting the bed post with a toe) or asks whether the parking slot is big enough, someone else says "40 meters". You can't imagine how many opportunities there are to mumble "40 meters"...

+1

I may write a children's book based on this-

Where's wouter?

Every page will be a full page photo of a different pile of rocks and you'll have to look closely to find wouter...

If released on iBooks or kindle, the zoom feature will, of course, be disabled...

Where's wouter?

Every page will be a full page photo of a different pile of rocks and you'll have to look closely to find wouter...

If released on iBooks or kindle, the zoom feature will, of course, be disabled...

Huuuuaaah haaaahahahaaaha, wonderful. Consider it bought!

...I just got some bi-focals...

....now I can get that zoomed-in effect wherever I go! :)

24-433.jpg

Where's wouter?

I can recommend an a children's book illustrator.

post-76289-0-00843200-1420583611_thumb.jpg

....favorite cereal?

...if you put all the pieces end to end, they add up to 40m............coincidence? :huh::rolleyes:

81cn9audo6l-_sl1500_.jpg

....yeh,,,resurrection becomes recovery becomes resuscitation......for what? By the time they're going to extent of actually piecing together the hull ,let alone all the other components,,you gotta wonder what shoestring operation the VOR is becoming!?

Sure it'll be amazing to see #7 back on the water and see how the weight goes, but who'll actually trust this Frankenvesta the next go-round in what will only become a much tighter OD race than now?

what. is. the. point. of. this. half. job? .........too little too late :mellow:

Will these boats be entering other offshore races (such as a Transatlantic, or Sydney-Hobart) with their existing names and branding? If so, then there can be a lot more time for ROI after the end of Leg 9.

At this point, previous Volvo boats like the now-Giacomo and Black Jack are definitely out there, racing, and competitive... but they're no longer producing ROI for their original sponsors. I don't know if they raced under their sponsors' names for a while after their VOR editions or not...

Will these boats be entering other offshore races (such as a Transatlantic, or Sydney-Hobart) with their existing names and branding? If so, then there can be a lot more time for ROI after the end of Leg 9.

At this point, previous Volvo boats like the now-Giacomo and Black Jack are definitely out there, racing, and competitive... but they're no longer producing ROI for their original sponsors. I don't know if they raced under their sponsors' names for a while after their VOR editions or not...

......Vestas hasn't made a commitment towards the next round yet. I hope,imagine that there'll be ongoing activities for the existing boats,,can't see why not. Other than some great ROI opportunities,it'd perhaps also make some good opportunities for the SCA gals to cross-train with other teams.

......Vestas hasn't made a commitment towards the next round yet.

I'm not talking about the next VOR... I'm talking about other big-name races where a boat with VESTAS all over it could sail for line honors and get media attention.

......Vestas hasn't made a commitment towards the next round yet.

I'm not talking about the next VOR... I'm talking about other big-name races where a boat with VESTAS all over it could sail for line honors and get media attention.

...I wouldn't imagine that a team would have use of a boat if they're not forward committed,,but who knows? It'd certainly make sense to give Vestas .....a run for their money ;)

New company bidding for rights to take gravel from The Bramble Bank - Nico Dredging.

Who's going to salvage the luxury car carrier first?

post-76289-0-63187000-1420599214_thumb.jpg

Wow..... you guys are heartless pricks. I'm LMAO, but you're still heartless pricks.....

Having met Wouter and seeing the personal anguish he's going through.... all I can think of is: There but for the grace of god go I......

Probably not still sponsored, but Camper's VO70 is ripping around in original suit and hull graphics, so plenty of exposure for them, at least until their hull gets painted. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.784937568209278.1073741835.105584039477971&type=1

HW

TVW posted a video of Brian Carlin's presentation of the incident at the Abu Dhabi Awards night

I will manage to be in Genova to see the boat. :-)

In addition, a good friend of mine will be probably hired part time at Persico... now I understand why!

.....^^...ugh!....I'm rather skeptical that #7 will once again be a competitive equal weight boat that all sailors fully trust. :unsure:

....nice footage though :mellow:

.....^^...ugh!....I'm rather skeptical that #7 will once again be a competitive equal weight boat that all sailors fully trust. :unsure:

Depends how much they cut out. It sounds as if they are going to cut their losses on the hull and build a complete new one - probably no slower than building an aft half. The deck looks better than one might have hoped, with only a corner missing, and that probably isn't under much load, so bonding in a new bit no big deal. Aft bulkhead is toast, but that is an easy replacement. No doubt, the really fiddly bit is the deck, and that is probably what they will usefully salvage. Forward bulkheads, well maybe, but no big deal either way I suspect. Stringers are probably a harder question, whether they can be bonded, or need replacing. But the comment about everything having some damage is clearly going to mean lots of careful planning. Time is what they don't have. Items that can be fabricated and are not a pacing item can be replaced. But anything that has a long lead time - clearly they will need to work out the balance. Then there is just the sheer amount of effort putting the bits together. Often it is easier to start afresh than to repair - but sometimes having lots of existing structure makes things much easier. It just isn't an easy answer. Lots of bits can be under build right now.

Depends how much they cut out. It sounds as if they are going to cut their losses on the hull and build a complete new one - probably no slower than building an aft half. The deck looks better than one might have hoped, with only a corner missing, and that probably isn't under much load, so bonding in a new bit no big deal. Aft bulkhead is toast, but that is an easy replacement. No doubt, the really fiddly bit is the deck, and that is probably what they will usefully salvage. Forward bulkheads, well maybe, but no big deal either way I suspect. Stringers are probably a harder question, whether they can be bonded, or need replacing. But the comment about everything having some damage is clearly going to mean lots of careful planning. Time is what they don't have. Items that can be fabricated and are not a pacing item can be replaced. But anything that has a long lead time - clearly they will need to work out the balance. Then there is just the sheer amount of effort putting the bits together. Often it is easier to start afresh than to repair - but sometimes having lots of existing structure makes things much easier. It just isn't an easy answer. Lots of bits can be under build right now.

...last I heard, they were going to build a section of hull to build-in. That's what I based the comment on. Maybe that changed,I haven't been following so close since I heard that 'plan'. :mellow:

...last I heard, they were going to build a section of hull to build-in. That's what I based the comment on. Maybe that changed,I haven't been following so close since I heard that 'plan'. :mellow:

You may be right. I had initially assumed that, but the comment about the key point being salvaging the deck made me think a whole new hull. Simple answer is of course - we have no real clue.

As said by Francis Vaughan, the most critical point id the bouquet of long lead time components... The keel has been cut I would not reuse it.

Engine? All the internal systems?

I'm not worried about the carbon parts... Persico has a nice workforce and AFAIK they are hiring temporary skilled resources to work around the clock.

They will make it.

If, and it's a big if, neither repair nor a new build are possible due to various factors including time.

What would be the possibility of the Vestas crew being split amongst the remaining boats for the shorter final legs. That would at least be media worthy in the circumstances, spirit of the VOR etc., would allow the overall bigger family of the racers to come through and provide additional material for the book or the film.

It would also allow Vestas a great foundation for the next VOR.

Imagine the headlines, The Spirit of Vestas Lives On...?