Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K38BOB

DHF 2015 Sat. March 28 ! - Entry deadline Skippers' meeting We

post-1447-0-28497300-1420959025_thumb.jpg
DHF 2015 anyone? 36th edition Sat. March 28! Entry deadline Skippers' meeting Wed March 25th
Plan on an interesting and enlightening evening at the skipper's meeting. See DSC from last year here
Check for more updates and details at http://www.sfbama.org/2015/DHF/index.html
Registration will be on Jibeset in a few weeks https://www.jibeset.net/clubs.php
The NOR will be similar to last years in content http://www.sfbama.org/2014/DHF/BAMA_T00648604si.pdf
though likely reformatted to ease comparison to the new NCORC/USS format
"Have a great race!"

Some updates:

SI coming soon.

SSS is having a SAS March 1st at Encinal http://sfbaysss.org/main/sss-to-sponsor-sas/

Check specific SI of any race for that race requirements. This course is recommended

YRA suggestions on PHRF Certificate timing:

"With entries closing today on the Three Bridge, I think the DHF is the next high profile race coming up. I just wanted to give you some dates to pass on to your entrants.

The race is scheduled for March 28th, which means the closest PHRF Committee meeting is March 26th. If you are ok with receiving PHRF Certificates the Friday before the race, anyone who has a boat that needs to be reviewed by the committee would need to have their application in to the YRA office by Thursday, March 19th. If the Race Committee thinks receiving a certificate on March 27th is too close to the race, then people will need to get their applications in to the YRA Office by February 19th for the February meeting on 2/26.

If someone has a straightforward renewal, or an application for a stock boat that hasn’t had a certificate in the past, I recommend they get their application and/or registration in to the YRA office by Monday, March 23rd at the latest. "

Make it easy on yourself and all the volunteers at YRA and BAMA and please and get those applications in by Feb 19th if at all possible.

thanks!

A couple of points wrt to DHF 2015

1. A reminder that the NOR/SI are the controlling document. Some folks in the past have confused the role of NCORC MEL in that regard. Please check the SI for each race. You may be surprised. As stated DHF 2015 is similar to DHF 2014. The MEL is not the only qualification to enter the race. If in doubt- ask.
  2. We've been working with Jibeset for several mos. on electronic signatures to ease the entry process. Seems to be working pretty well so far- everyone has figured it out on their own.
  3. BAMA recommends the safety at sea seminars but they aren't required.
  4. If you participated in DHF 2014, you don't need to re-read those required readings.
  5. Since we moved pretty much to a buy shirts to entry order model (to reduce costs and hold back on racing fee increases), we no longer had "extra" shirts to purchase for souvenirs. To address that, extra shirts can now be purchased through registration process- including youth sizes for future crew.
  6. Shirts again will be available in lady sizes that we introduced last year.

Now time to start weather guessing http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=12156&metric=false
cheers
bob

Available as crew , have 1 day Safety at Sea, lots of bay and OYRA RACES, DH Lightship, 4 crewed Farralone races.. Excellent navigator. Good trimmer and driver. All USPS Thru Navigation. I have all personal safety gear.

Jackever@yahoo.com

meaning?

we can't do it, need crew time for TPac practice.

Bob - looked up hybrid - question would be "why?"

if you're using inflation to get to 150 newtons, then you want some comfort, and having a dinghy vest wouldn't be as comfortable as a Spinlock Deckvest or even the Mustang.

After SaS training, and listening to brian chong, you WANT the 150 newton floatation, and you can't get that through foam without it being crazy huge.

Flash: The reason is an ongoing discussion with some feedback from an experienced ocean racer (including many DHF races). The point raised is that the 150N inflatable is great for passive rescue and poor for someone trying to self rescue (can't swim in them, climb onto boat etc was their point). The other condition of buoyancy for inflatables is O Newtons- it didn't inflate or became punctured. The flotation aids with inherent buoyancy are good for swimming etc. The hybrid mentioned in both USCG and manufacturer assoc seem like an alternative to consider- neither of us could find much info- hence the post.

The point raised by the racer is that the P in PFD is personal and should be a personal choice.

Its always a debate on how much the RC should take responsibility for the racer. (DSC vs Tracker etc).

We had Bryan talk at the DHF2013 Skippers meeting and he made a compelling argument for crotch straps that BAMA implemented a year before other clubs.

From SI required reading:

1. At least pages 1 through 23 of the US Sailing Independent Review Panel report on 2013 Islands Race. That report can be found here on BAMA web site (link). http://www.sfbama.org/fs/2013%20Islands%20Race%20Report.pdf
2. PFD selection guides.
Pogen: Entrants about typical in this post LSC era. They should pop up as the early registration deadline approaches and weather becomes more certain.
MH: See above.
cheers
bob

Bless all regatta hosts for without them there is no fun

Just a request

Never close entries.

Certainly we all want advance notice so we can buy food and trophies and sufficient goodies and plan logistics

But

If one more team shows up and checks in at the RC boat ??

Their lack of planning makes for some petty annoyance but

I still want them to come play.

My response is:

Somehow I failed to communicate to you about my need for some advance notice . I absolutely want you to play. There may be no dinner for you, I am out of T shirts. Had I known about you I woukd have split the zookeeper differently.

Please play and have a great time and next year when you're alive you plan to comeback please let me know earlier so you can have more fun...'and others who want to okay with you again will de your name on the preregistration list snd come just to see you!!"

A couple days to sort out the plans for the known competitors is sweet but.... I don't ghink closed registration benefits can rival the chance for the fleet to make a new friend

for daysail, casual regattas, sure.

For regattas where the organizers have to provide entries and crew lists to the Coasties as they pre-position rescue assets, not so much.

Bless all regatta hosts for without them there is no fun

Just a request

Never close entries.

Certainly we all want advance notice so we can buy food and trophies and sufficient goodies and plan logistics

But

If one more team shows up and checks in at the RC boat ??

Their lack of planning makes for some petty annoyance but

I still want them to come play.

My response is:

Somehow I failed to communicate to you about my need for some advance notice . I absolutely want you to play. There may be no dinner for you, I am out of T shirts. Had I known about you I woukd have split the zookeeper differently.

Please play and have a great time and next year when you're alive you plan to comeback please let me know earlier so you can have more fun...'and others who want to okay with you again will de your name on the preregistration list snd come just to see you!!"

A couple days to sort out the plans for the known competitors is sweet but.... I don't ghink closed registration benefits can rival the chance for the fleet to make a new friend

Thanks..its nice to be acknowledged and appreciated- I'll pass it along to team mates.

What Flash said ^ but a little more info. DHF used to accept entries before the race (30 mins before?). Then DHLS had a tragedy with the loss of Daisy and crew. EPIRB mandate (unfortunately not DSC VHF aarrggh!) which then drove advance notice to the CG- the opening position was to close entries 2 (or3?) weeks before the race so the entry info could be confirmed before permit issued. We managed to get that down to 3 days through better behavior and through automation efforts. We were beginning to make progress to shorten the 3 day window- then the CF LSC event occurred. Which also showed some entries had less than accurate data (not DHF). That data is very useful for the CG in the event of an emergency.

cheers

bob

Due to a busy weekend for sailors and continued confusion on race requirements ( http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2015-03-20#Story3 ), BAMA has extended early registration discount to Monday 3-23-15. Congratulations to E27 fleet for pulling together with 5 boats on the line. Weather forecast is looking good.

Regular registration at $80 is open and currently scheduled to end Wed mid nite... though plans are in work to take advantage of the day normally reserved for paperwork- which is no longer required with electronic signatures and registration.

The remainder of the required readings for DHF 2015

Rudder loss

a. 1992 DHF Rudder Loss by Joe Siudzinski, 5/8/99 (link)

b. 1993 SHF - Lose a Rudder at the Farallones? No Problem!
by Joe Siudzinski, 4/11/93 (link)

DSC Calling: Who’s Gonna Answer? (link)

If you didn't do DHF 2014, you need to read those also!

snip

1. At least pages 1 through 23 of the US Sailing Independent Review Panel report on 2013 Islands Race. That report can be found here on BAMA web site (link). http://www.sfbama.org/fs/2013%20Islands%20Race%20Report.pdf
2. PFD selection guides.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...571&syn=pzz500

PZZ500-250945-
238 PM PDT TUE MAR 24 2015

.SYNOPSIS FOR THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA COAST AND BAYS INCLUDING
MONTEREY BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARIES...

NORTHERLY WINDS WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE COASTAL WATERS THIS
EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. THIS WILL LEAD TO DETERIORATING SEA
CONDITIONS. WINDS WILL DECREASE ON THURSDAY BEFORE INCREASING
AGAIN ON FRIDAY INTO THE WEEKEND.

$$

PZZ571-250945-
POINT REYES TO PIGEON POINT 10 TO 60 NM OFFSHORE-
238 PM PDT TUE MAR 24 2015

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT

TONIGHT
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL
7 TO 8 FT AT 12 SECONDS.

WED
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.
W SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

WED NIGHT
NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. W SWELL
5 TO 7 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

THU
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL 5 TO
6 FT AT 12 SECONDS.

THU NIGHT
NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 5 TO
7 FT AT 12 SECONDS.

FRI
NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL 5 TO
7 FT. S SWELL 3 FT.

SAT
NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. W SWELL 5 TO
7 FT...SHIFTING TO THE NW 8 TO 10 FT. S SWELL 3 FT.

SUN
NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL 9 TO
11 FT AND S 3 FT.

Bob

I will be able to be at the skippers meeting to advertise my availability as crew, could you mention me in case there is a need.

Thanks

Jack

Skippers meeting tonight and ONLINE registration extended to Friday Noon.
As a result of improvements in online registrations/signatures and real-time access to race status by the USCG, BAMA will be extending regular ($80) online registrations to Friday, March 27, at noon for the Doublehanded Farallones race. The deadline for paper registrations is still the skippers' meeting tonight. At the meeting, the CG will talk about Vessel Traffic Service and participate in a live test of DSC handheld VHFs (bring yours). PFDs and cold water immersion will also be covered, in addition to the Sailing Instructions. Doors will open at 5:30 at Oakland YC and the meeting will start at 7:00. See www.sfbama.org/2015/DHF/index.html for updates and details.

Regular registration at $80 is open and currently scheduled to end Wed mid nite... though plans are in work to take advantage of the day normally reserved for paperwork- which is no longer required with electronic signatures and registration.

The remainder of the required readings for DHF 2015

Rudder loss

a. 1992 DHF Rudder Loss by Joe Siudzinski, 5/8/99 (link)

b. 1993 SHF - Lose a Rudder at the Farallones? No Problem!
by Joe Siudzinski, 4/11/93 (link)

DSC Calling: Who’s Gonna Answer? (link)

If you didn't do DHF 2014, you need to read those also!

snip

2. PFD selection guides.

Correction I will not be there, so can you mention that I am available experienced crew.

.........and ONLINE registration extended to Friday Noon.

Extending a long published registration-deadline at the 11th hour is a bit of a slap in the face to those who made the effort to actually meet the originally published deadline. ;)

-MH

looks like it's gonna be windy

Backing off a tad if I seemed to pro kast minute registration. There are exceptions to the last minute being easy to accommodate

In the case of liabilities and desire to maintain safety as destined above, last minute registrations would compromise the safety of some fleet members.

It always has to be safety first and certainly registration where the organizers and Coast Zfuard have decided to coordinate needs a larger window to accomplish thstb

PZZ500-280915-

201 PM PDT FRI MAR 27 2015

.SYNOPSIS FOR THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA COAST AND BAYS INCLUDING

MONTEREY BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARIES...

NORTHWEST WINDS ARE FORECAST TO FURTHER STRENGTHEN OVERNIGHT AND

PERSIST INTO THE SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY RANGE THROUGH THE WEEKEND AND

POSSIBLY INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. STRONG WINDS WILL GENERATE STEEP

FRESH SWELL THROUGH THE WEEKEND. MIXED SWELL THROUGH THE PERIOD

WITH A DOMINANT WEST SWELL.

$$

PZZ571-280915-

POINT REYES TO PIGEON POINT 10 TO 60 NM OFFSHORE-

201 PM PDT FRI MAR 27 2015

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING

TONIGHT

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 6 FT. W SWELL

7 TO 9 FT AT 12 SECONDS AND S 3 FT AT 19 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG

AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SAT

NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 6 FT. W SWELL 8 TO

10 FT AT 9 SECONDS AND S 3 FT AT 19 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG IN THE

MORNING.

SAT NIGHT

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 6 FT. NW SWELL

9 TO 12 FT AT 9 SECONDS AND S 3 FT AT 18 SECONDS.

SUN

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL 9 TO

11 FT AT 9 SECONDS AND S 3 FT AT 17 SECONDS.

SUN NIGHT

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL

9 TO 12 FT AT 9 SECONDS AND S 3 FT AT 17 SECONDS.

MON

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. W SWELL 9 TO

12 FT...DECREASING TO 8 TO 10 FT. S SWELL 3 FT.

5 min postponement. All fleets away and to the GGB. 55 starters. The CAN doing its thing

post-1447-0-20438000-1427559890_thumb.jpg

Papillon f27 finishes....................then Condor finishes- first monohull

twist, raven, ohana, nina, zsa zsa, dark n stormy, jabberwock, symmetry, millenium falcon finished

of the boats that started/crossed the start line- only 3 remain on the course- Little wing, mesmerize, C.O.W

We didn't do so well in the results, but here is some video from yesterday from Roxanne...

Thanks to the organizers!

I'm happy to report that after some conflicts and delays we have set the Awards date and location for the 36th DHF to be Wed May 13th at Oakland YC. This will be intertwined with the Oakland YC Sweet 16 series and we will update specifics on http://www.sfbama.org/2015/DHF/index.html

Working Agenda:

Shirts will be available as early as 6:30pm for those that did not order shipping- remember to pick them up or have a friend do so- as a suggestion- some have picked them up and dropped at the racer s YC or boat etc.

Review the race and awards, trophy presentation.

The sweet 16 crowd comes in at 8:30 so we ll wrap things up by then. Checking to see if a dinner option is available.

Thanks for your participation! Very Happy to report that we finally had an improvement in entries for the first time in recent years.

Cheers

Bob

I'm happy to report that after some conflicts and delays we have set the Awards date and location for the 36th DHF to be Wed May 13th at Oakland YC. This will be intertwined with the Oakland YC Sweet 16 series and we will update specifics on http://www.sfbama.org/2015/DHF/index.html
Working Agenda:
Shirts will be available as early as 6:30pm for those that did not order shipping- remember to pick them up or have a friend do so- as a suggestion- some have picked them up and dropped at the racer s YC or boat etc.
Review the race and awards, trophy presentation.
The sweet 16 crowd comes in at 8:30 so we ll wrap things up by then. Checking to see if a dinner option is available.
Thanks for your participation! Very Happy to report that we finally had an improvement in entries for the first time in recent years.
Cheers
Bob

Tonight's the shirts, awards, trophy night for 36th DHF. Please stop by to pickup them up and share your story and provide inputs for next years race. Thanks!

post-1447-0-23197200-1431540098_thumb.jpgpost-1447-0-09685100-1431540128_thumb.jpg