Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DryArmour

Things you find in your garage- WORRELL 1000 Winning Sail from 1983

I still have the Hobie 16 mainsail from the 1983 Worrell 1000. My dear friend Carlton Tucker was one of the team members along with Hobie Junior and Miles Wood. The sail is in great shape. Pretty amazing for a sail that is more than 32 years old...The format used that year was non stop round the clock racing alternating team members at each stop. Brutal.

Worrell 1000 sail smaller.jpg

Team Plymouth and not at a drag strip, pretty cool. Had to be someone walking around there saying sailboat....sailboat!

Gotta think it was '82 as that was the last non-stop version...I've still got CT's Patagonia heavy pile long-johns from this race which I occasionally wear hunting up at his sister's place, and the hideous purple one-piece Patagonia dry suit which needs new cuffs, and I won't wear anywhere but waaaay off shore :lol: ...stopped in and saw his dad yesterday...can't begin to describe how much I miss him...

Grabber- You are right. The last year they went around the clock was 1982. The sail therefor must be from 1982.

sails are cool. i dunno, its probably me. but they have a certain coolness to them. i read about tucker... that sail has a panache to it.

Carlton was one of my very best friends. Just simply one of the best people you could have ever known. We didn't get along on only one front: Carlton didn't like dogs. I don't know why but he didn't. I simply adore dogs. Trivial difference.

Carlton was a wonderful person. Waa with him days before in FWB

Someone should really bring the original race back, doing the 1000 and using the Hobie 16.

Having done the Tybee 500 a few times which was the race survivor of the Worrell 1000 for several years, I never could imagine doing non-stop and sailing at night. One of the years I did the Tybee, a sailor was separated from his boat and had to fire his EPIRB and get rescued by a powerboat. I was thankful he was separated during the day and not too far offshore.

As far as I know, no one was lost in the non-stop Worrell days. Maybe the Hobie was a better match for the rough conditions than the more powered up modern boats.

The concept of the race is so good that it seems like it just won't completely stop. The Florida 300 is growing as a restart to this event. http://www.florida300.com/florida300. I hope it does well.

Having done the Worrell 3 times I have this to say: BRING BACK THE WORRELL 1000.

6.jpg

+1

A Chrysler logo on a Hobie sail is odd because Chrysler was in the cat biz before Hobie in the 60's.

Carlton was an exemplary guy. We raced each other over many years on and off; RIP Mike W. a real visionary; RIP

What a trip down memory lane for me. In that edition of the Worell i was an alternate for team Glenora wine , 2 boats on that team, but i was in the vehicles. Hobie Jr. was pretty unbeatable in those days. We had Dean Froome and Eric the designer at Hobie Cat, plus others. I think Eric was working on the 17 at that time. 3 sailors per boat. 1 would get off at each check point and the third would jump on. I remember Dean not jumping off when his shift was over. I think maybe they used to only have 2 sailors per boat originally.

A year or 2 later was the last time for the 16s, but we slept overnite at the check points. We had a gale on the leg to Hatteras. It was offshore winds and the Dutch team broke their mast and had to get rescued by the Coast Guard. It was hours of real strong wind then it died to 20 something by late afternoon. It was my teammate's turn to drive that day, and he sailed us out to sea with the wind because he thought we would flip if we reached up along the coast. We didn't flip, but we also didn't finish very high up that day.

The second time i raced it was the first year with the spi, but we didn't have one. da oh

On the leg to Tybee i noticed that we were sinking. We got back to a beach, flagged some one down, bought resin&glass, fixed the bottoms, and got back in the race. Finished about an hour before the next start. After that they made a rule about arriving by a certain time after the first boat i think. The next morning we sailed over a sunning hammerhead that was longer than our 18' boat.

No big storms that year.

I've always admired the 1000. Love to have a similar race here in QLD / NSW.

A Chrysler logo on a Hobie sail is odd because Chrysler was in the cat biz before Hobie in the 60's.

Carlton was an exemplary guy. We raced each other over many years on and off; RIP Mike W. a real visionary; RIP

What a trip down memory lane for me. In that edition of the Worell i was an alternate for team Glenora wine , 2 boats on that team, but i was in the vehicles. Hobie Jr. was pretty unbeatable in those days. We had Dean Froome and Eric the designer at Hobie Cat, plus others. I think Eric was working on the 17 at that time. 3 sailors per boat. 1 would get off at each check point and the third would jump on. I remember Dean not jumping off when his shift was over. I think maybe they used to only have 2 sailors per boat originally.

A year or 2 later was the last time for the 16s, but we slept overnite at the check points. We had a gale on the leg to Hatteras. It was offshore winds and the Dutch team broke their mast and had to get rescued by the Coast Guard. It was hours of real strong wind then it died to 20 something by late afternoon. It was my teammate's turn to drive that day, and he sailed us out to sea with the wind because he thought we would flip if we reached up along the coast. We didn't flip, but we also didn't finish very high up that day.

The second time i raced it was the first year with the spi, but we didn't have one. da oh

On the leg to Tybee i noticed that we were sinking. We got back to a beach, flagged some one down, bought resin&glass, fixed the bottoms, and got back in the race. Finished about an hour before the next start. After that they made a rule about arriving by a certain time after the first boat i think. The next morning we sailed over a sunning hammerhead that was longer than our 18' boat.

No big storms that year.

EPIC Stories. Thank you for sharing...Brings back a lot of memories.

Iron Men, Plastic Boats.

never did the race, but used to hang out at Worrel Bros in Va Beach back in the 70's.

I didn't start sailing until a few years later.

post-1988-0-40143800-1422467297.jpg

Stopping to check the trailer on the way to the 1985 Worrell 1000. That was the first year

not using Hobie 16s. Those were Nacra 5.8s and we had rigged spinnakers and gennakers for the first time.

We did it in 82. I was 17. Enrique Figueroa was younger and took the youngest award. Lots of memories, but mostly keeping our ground crew sober. They were constantly following the Australians around who had cases of Foster's beer waiting at every stop. Hobie Jr. put a Loran on the boat in Tybee Island for the leg to Isle of Palms. The crew told me when we hit the beach just later that it was the size of a suitcase. We had a restart off of Hatteras when the fleet got stopped by a tropical storm. We spent the night on Cape Fear Island and got the boat to Hatteras after the storm went by.

I did the ground crew the next year for another team. That was really fun!

attachicon.gif3 boat campaign.jpg

Stopping to check the trailer on the way to the 1985 Worrell 1000. That was the first year

not using Hobie 16s. Those were Nacra 5.8s and we had rigged spinnakers and gennakers for the first time.

Good times my friend...As a gas station attendant said to Skip Elliot in the deep south: "Where you boys goin' with these here Missyles?"

Oh... i happened to find my 1997 Worrell 1000 trophy in my garage after seeing this (covered with dust). 2nd overall (to Roy Seaman in the Unlimited Class) but 1st in our class (Modified Production) done in a Prindle 19 with pink sails (at the time that most sails were still white). One of the best experiences of my life. I had a great crew (Wayne Moonyham) and Mike Worrell was the master of the show.

Team Graffiti - Michael Bender, Wayne Moonyham and our wives chasing us up the shore with some funky motorhome. San Francisco.

post-60624-0-74182500-1422504841_thumb.jpg

Oh... i happened to find my 1997 Worrell 1000 trophy in my garage after seeing this (covered with dust). 2nd overall (to Roy Seaman in the Unlimited Class) but 1st in our class (Modified Production) done in a Prindle 19 with pink sails (at the time that most sails were still white). One of the best experiences of my life. I had a great crew (Wayne Moonyham) and Mike Worrell was the master of the show.

Team Graffiti - Michael Bender, Wayne Moonyham and our wives chasing us up the shore with some funky motorhome. San Francisco.

Mike! So great to connect again after all of these years!

This one has been itching me a while...that sail is actually from the '87 Hogs Breath 1000...Jeff, Jr. and Pat Porter...(sorry for the quality...or lack thereof)

CAM00123-1_zpsannmkmoq.jpg

This one has been itching me a while...that sail is actually from the '87 Hogs Breath 1000...Jeff, Jr. and Pat Porter...(sorry for the quality...or lack thereof)

CAM00123-1_zpsannmkmoq.jpg

That definitely looks like the sail. Is it possible they used the same sail in the Worrell? It definitely isn't a stock sail and has a few mods on it like a special headboard and track guide. It was Mike Worrell that had identified it as a sail used in the race in the early 1980s. I suppose he could have been mistaken but....

Nope!...for starters all those sails were new in '87, nobody would have used rags that had already blown through 1000 miles 5 years previously and as the Hog's Breath 1000 was a return to the original round the clock non-stop format the Worrell had abandoned everyone beefed up their equipment ... upon reflection Jr., Carlton and Miles had a different set of sponsors in '82 most of which came in the form of products and services...Patagonia as I mentioned, Murray's Marine comes to mind also...the '87 team of Jr., Jeff and Pat Porter who's sail that was ran a very close second to the Aussie team...

Fark!...looking for any back-up info and clicked on this link...absolutely gutted to see this bloke just passed away...what a great mate he was...read the accompanying article about his trans-Atlantic crossing on a Hobie 18...pre-fuckin' GPS/sat phone etc....just a fucking iron man in every sense of the word...Vale! Dingo we won't see too many like you...CT, Basho, Dingo, truly "the good die young"...

http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=10064

Mike,

Didn't you guys get sucked in Oregon Inlet in the fog and tangle with the bridge in '97? Got loaned a boat to finish the race? If so, I was the guy that drove your wives back down the beach from the checkpoint to find you guys on the other side of the inlet. I was a competitor (Team Woodward, barely!) then on the race committee until getting laid off and then ended up on Mark Murray's pit crew. I could write a book about that years race. Hanging with the Russian crew was a hoot!

Nope!...for starters all those sails were new in '87, nobody would have used rags that had already blown through 1000 miles 5 years previously and as the Hog's Breath 1000 was a return to the original round the clock non-stop format the Worrell had abandoned everyone beefed up their equipment ... upon reflection Jr., Carlton and Miles had a different set of sponsors in '82 most of which came in the form of products and services...Patagonia as I mentioned, Murray's Marine comes to mind also...the '87 team of Jr., Jeff and Pat Porter who's sail that was ran a very close second to the Aussie team...

Fark!...looking for any back-up info and clicked on this link...absolutely gutted to see this bloke just passed away...what a great mate he was...read the accompanying article about his trans-Atlantic crossing on a Hobie 18...pre-fuckin' GPS/sat phone etc....just a fucking iron man in every sense of the word...Vale! Dingo we won't see too many like you...CT, Basho, Dingo, truly "the good die young"...

That's kind of what I thought too on the sails. So are we back to thinking these were the 1983 sails from the Worrell? Just trying to know what I have here.

I completed the last 4 Worrells as a sailor and one as ground crew (almost as hard as sailing it). I lived for that race, it was all that mattered. After Mike Worrell's death I bought the H16 he had at that time and it came with an original Worrell Bros. restaurant sail. I have bought new white sails for the boat and want to duplicate the logo in Black Dacron to make a replica.
How do I post a pic if it's not on line, but on my drive?

Having done the Worrell 3 times I have this to say: BRING BACK THE WORRELL 1000.

6.jpg

Jensen Beach Tough day at the office.

That's kind of what I thought too on the sails. So are we back to thinking these were the 1983 sails from the Worrell? Just trying to know what I have here.

No somehow you've got your hands on the sails from Hobie Jr, Jeff and Pat Porter from the 1987 Hog's Breath 1000...