Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spring fever

VOR Newport

3 of us anarchists are heading from Chicago to Newport May 14-18 to support our favorite OBR on ADOR. Anyone have the inside scoop on...

- housing options that might still be available?

- what kind of costs we should expect when visiting the race village?

I'll be there....OTW for in port race weeeeeeee

Try this place, spoke to Walter yesterday, he said he was empty so far for the VOR Stopover.

Poplar House B+B
19 Poplar Street, Newport, RI 02840
Best of luck.

I talked to Walter at the Poplar House. He is looking for a 4 week stay. I told him that I had a reservation at the Motel 6 because that is all I could find and he said I was probably lucky to find that.

Other than taking lots of time off I haven't planned my trip yet. I am a little more than an hour away so I figure to drive back and forth a bunch of times.

Walter is holding out for "the crews."

Everywhere else we've talked to is sold out or $$$$. We're still trying to stay in town

There are always a few "back door", & or local tricks for such things. No worries ;-)

My lovely wife bought us plane tickets and hotel stay for Christmas so we'll be there (way better than socks) :D

Anybody know where in town the race village will be setup? Parking will probably be $$ and would like to plan for walking distances or public transport to get to village for boat arrivals.

I talked to Walter at the Poplar House. He is looking for a 4 week stay. I told him that I had a reservation at the Motel 6 because that is all I could find and he said I was probably lucky to find that.

Sorry to hear he gave you the cold shoulder, big difference from having no bookings, 4 week stay indeed. Just goes to show, you try to be a good guy and help someone out, ah well...4 weeks, pah!

Sorry to hear he gave you the cold shoulder, big difference from having no bookings, 4 week stay indeed. Just goes to show, you try to be a good guy and help someone out, ah well...4 weeks, pah!

.....ahh,,juss' book th'place. Make it the SA clubhouse. I'm sure we'd get your money's worth within a week :)

Also planning to be there with wife & kids for the in port & start of the leg. I reserved at Fall River, some 20 miles up north. Room price downtown Newport is insane.

we were looking to charter a cat and bring it down to the stopover, and then we realized - it could be friggin cold that weekend.

Even working in the hospitality industry rooms are mighty slim.

Anyone have thoughts as to where the in-port course will be and/or what the in-port marks will be for the start of the leg? I'm hoping they send the boats up the bay. A turning mark over at beavertail would make for good land viewing without crossing the bridge into NPT. Fundamentally I am trying to decide if its worth trailering the center console up from CT for the day or better to try to watch from land. Thoughts?

Anyone have thoughts as to where the in-port course will be and/or what the in-port marks will be for the start of the leg? I'm hoping they send the boats up the bay. A turning mark over at beavertail would make for good land viewing without crossing the bridge into NPT. Fundamentally I am trying to decide if its worth trailering the center console up from CT for the day or better to try to watch from land. Thoughts?

If you bring it, expect us as guests!

Ft Adams

Was at the ACWS a couple years ago in Newport and they based the teams/boats out of Ft. Adams. Worked out great and there was nice views of the racing from there. Plenty of parking as well. Just hope the folk running the VOR stopover make better use of the inside of Ft. Adams than the AC folk did.

WetHog :ph34r:

I am planning on being there... Somehow.

While I can't help with lodging unless I start a campground in my backyard, I can help with info about Newport since I'm here and live less than 2 miles from Ft. Adams. Since the Newport Folk Festival is at Ft. Adams, they already have a lot of info - http://www.newportfolk.org/festival-info I would start there. If anyone has any additional questions or needs help, let me know.

I'd find something in Middletown or North Kingstown before I stayed at the Motel 6. It's across the street from the sewer plant, and pretty much a flop house for addicts. For anyone else not familiar with the area, I'd also stay away from the Pineapple Inn and Rodeway Inn.

Aquidneck island has Uber for all staying outside of Newport, it is Boston based and trying to grow here...worth it on all counts and can be a third of the cost and 90% more abundant than the known poor taxi service.

The course I have seen is almost exactly like ac45 course-- not so much North of bridge but toward the Atlantic and East Passage, along Ft. Adams for the spectators.

The bay is 90+ feet deep and has been chilling all season, it will be plenty brisk on the water in early May .

The viewing along the land on the west facing side of the Fort worked well for the ac45 so they are duplicating this.

Other best viewing would be from Castle Hill on race day, but sources say Volvo bought it out for their private company viewing. IMHO--Go with the Fort.

Thanks Marcus. I just got a room at the Sea whale in Middletown. Seems like they have more available and it was less $ than motel 6.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your sense of organization.

I.e, I hadn't realized I hadn't organized my bookings for the 2022 winter Olympics.

I.e, I hadn't realized I hadn't organized my bookings for the 2022 winter Olympics.

if you aren't planning a year ahead you are behind. Haven't you bought Superbowl tickets for next year yet and arrange your lodging.

Does anyone know if any yacht club parties are planned? During the 1998 Whitbread stopover in Baltimore/Annapolis, Eastport YC had an epic crew party.

Anybody know where in town the race village will be setup? Parking will probably be $$ and would like to plan for walking distances or public transport to get to village for boat arrivals.

The race village will be at Fort Adams. It will be somewhat similar to the setup from the America's Cup World Series event held in Newport a couple years ago. Entry to the Volvo Occea Race village is completely free for all. There is plenty of parking at Fort Adams, there will also be water shuttles to/from "downtown" Newport (i.e. East side of harbor) and Ft. Adams (West side of harbor). There will be info available at http://www.volvooceanracenewport.com/en/home.html and https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanracenewport. Hope this helps.

The course I have seen is almost exactly like ac45 course-- not so much North of bridge but toward the Atlantic and East Passage, along Ft. Adams for the spectators.

The bay is 90+ feet deep and has been chilling all season, it will be plenty brisk on the water in early May .

The viewing along the land on the west facing side of the Fort worked well for the ac45 so they are duplicating this.

Other best viewing would be from Castle Hill on race day, but sources say Volvo bought it out for their private company viewing. IMHO--Go with the Fort.

We had a "practice start" with Abu Dhabi and Alvimedica last summer in Newport. The course that was set began directly off Fort Adams, and went windward/leeward a few legs to the North, passing just North of the Newport Bridge, back and forth in front of the Newport waterfront, before ultimately sending it out East onto the Atlantic. I expect the same this May. Here is a video with some photos from the Newport 2014 "practice leg start":

The VOR sailing that took place last summer in Newport went further north than the ACWS cats. It sets up for some dramatic visuals of the boats passing under the picturesque Newport "Pell" Bridge. The ACWS course looked like this: http://www.cupinfo.com/images/acws-newport-racearea-aceapi-0000-1.jpg -- expect to see the VOR in-port and leg start course cover the same ground, but proceed more to the North than the ACWS did, in addition to the ground the ACWS covered.

In addition to shore viewing there will be various "tour" type boats that I am sure will be selling tickets for on-the-water day trips to view the sailing.

Fort Adams is a huge public park. Newport's stopover is not a haul-out stopover, so the boats will be in the water the entire time. You'll be able to see them on the new deep water pier at Sail Newport.

As for the Inn at Castle Hill, it is a large venue, and parts of the bluffs are always open to the public. If you want to watch from Castle Hill I would be shocked if you cannot do so. It does not surprise me that there are private hospitality type events taking place there in association with VOR, the teams, or sponsors, but I doubt that would be to the exclusion of others. Locals in Newport frequently picnic at the site, for example to watch the start of the Newport-Bermuda race. The vibe in Newport is going to be open. The city wants to welcome all sailors and fans to come and the people of Rhode Island want to open their doors to all. Come to Newport!

Angus, is the Fort Adams location official? The VOR site locate the village downtown at the Newport shipward.

3 of us anarchists are heading from Chicago to Newport May 14-18 to support our favorite OBR on ADOR. Anyone have the inside scoop on...

- housing options that might still be available?

- what kind of costs we should expect when visiting the race village?

I sent you a PM with some info. Email me if you want more details.

Angus, is the Fort Adams location official? The VOR site locate the village downtown at the Newport shipward.

Ft Adams will definitely have activities, as will the Newport Shipyard. I've signed up as a volunteer for a couple days at Newport Shipyard. Based on the size of the crowds expected, Newport Shipyard won't be able to cram everything for the VOR activities at the one location.

I also volunteered to provide a crowd standoff boat. That would be awesome if selected for that. Basically fly a big flag on the mast of my J/109 anchored at the edge of the keepout area... should provide for some nice viewing if I get this!

I work for the Fire Department in Newport, and from what I've seen the "village" is set up at Fort Adams, and that's where the boats will be tied up.

Will Ft Adams let you park a rib sat night, either in the water or on a trailer?

Probably not. I have a spot in Jamestown where you can park a trailer if that helps, quick blast across the bay to the fort.

Ft Adams will definitely have activities, as will the Newport Shipyard. I've signed up as a volunteer for a couple days at Newport Shipyard. Based on the size of the crowds expected, Newport Shipyard won't be able to cram everything for the VOR activities at the one location.

I also volunteered to provide a crowd standoff boat. That would be awesome if selected for that. Basically fly a big flag on the mast of my J/109 anchored at the edge of the keepout area... should provide for some nice viewing if I get this!

Sailing equivalent of court side seats. Nice.

Plenty of room to anchor. There is a dink dock for access just north of ida lewis. So just need to figure out how to get out to rib. Paddle board would work or small dink.

Long thing sticking out in the google map link is where the dink dock is. Also a launching ramp although don't think you can store a trailer there without a permit although in May it may not be a problem.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.477342,-71.323675,288m/data=!3m1!1e3

Will Ft Adams let you park a rib sat night, either in the water or on a trailer?

The entire village is at Fort Adams, just like it was for the AC World Series. All the Volvo boats will be docked at Fort Adams. There will be water taxis providing easy access to and from the other side of the harbor.

Plenty of room to anchor. There is a dink dock for access just north of ida lewis. So just need to figure out how to get out to rib. Paddle board would work or small dink.

Long thing sticking out in the google map link is where the dink dock is. Also a launching ramp although don't think you can store a trailer there without a permit although in May it may not be a problem.

I will ask around-- I don't see why there couldn't be a public dinghy dock at fort Adams south of the race village. Sounds like a great idea and that time of year it should be possible to accommodate.

There is a public dinghy dock at fort adams. List of dinghy docks here:

http://www.cityofnewport.com/departments/enterprise-fund-programs/harbor-division/mooring-docks

Issue is it is a long row out to the anchor area from the fort adams or sail newport dinghy dock. There will probably be tons of empty moorings but the harbor master is a stickler about just picking up moorings. In general a specific boat is registered with with a mooring. Also not sure what the status of the dinghy docks at sail newport and ft adams will be during the volvo since they are right in the middle of it.

I will ask around-- I don't see why there couldn't be a public dinghy dock at fort Adams south of the race village. Sounds like a great idea and that time of year it should be possible to accommodate.

woohoo! the ladies have housing! we'll be less than a mile from downtown.

now to just get out on the water...

I believe Anarchists from all over will be converging at your place for a party! Congrats -and stay tuned for future PM about getting on the water.

The entire village is at Fort Adams, just like it was for the AC World Series. All the Volvo boats will be docked at Fort Adams. There will be water taxis providing easy access to and from the other side of the harbor.

Angus is right, All village activities at Fort Adams. New Pier built in time for the 65's to dock, The team at Sail Newport is running it with the state and city helping. Dinghies will have a place to tie up free near the hoist pier at Sail Newport I'm told. Village attractions in the big parking lot and on the north side of the fort itself. 65's racing on the 14-17th just like the AC 45 regatta right outside the harbor along the wall at Fort Adams. Rumour is that the North American Moth fleet is doing a regatta as a warm up act each of the last 3 days before the 65's take the course!

I don't know if I would call the moth fleet rumors. It is on the official schedules( subject to change)

I am going to take the week off and drive back and forth from Mass that week. Maybe find a place crash for a night as needed.

So I will be looking for a spot to watch from, preferably on the water.

I don't know if I would call the moth fleet rumors. It is on the official schedules( subject to change)

I am going to take the week off and drive back and forth from Mass that week. Maybe find a place crash for a night as needed.

I've been following this forum for a year or so but this is my first post.

I watched Alvimedica and Abu Dhabi leave Newport in their informal race across the Atlantic from the water and the AC 45's from Fort Adams and given the probable on water exclusion zones (more evident for the AC 45's than the informal VOR race) I prefer Fort Adams.

One of the great things about the west side of Fort Adams is the the water is very deep right up to shore so the boats should be racing in close; especially against an incoming tide in the prevailing May southwesterly sea breeze.

If you have a chance to stay in downtown Newport take advantage of the water taxi/shuttle from Perrotti Park (near Newport Yacht Club). It's not that expensive and a nice ride. Biking or taking a scooter is also a pretty good way to get around.

Keep in mind Fort Adams can be a PITA to get to in typical Newport traffic. If anyone is interested I can post a good fast "locals route" that bypasses most traffic.

~ middlebridge

Angus is right, All village activities at Fort Adams. New Pier built in time for the 65's to dock, The team at Sail Newport is running it with the state and city helping. Dinghies will have a place to tie up free near the hoist pier at Sail Newport I'm told. Village attractions in the big parking lot and on the north side of the fort itself. 65's racing on the 14-17th just like the AC 45 regatta right outside the harbor along the wall at Fort Adams. Rumour is that the North American Moth fleet is doing a regatta as a warm up act each of the last 3 days before the 65's take the course!

Good info,

would a 24' rib count as a dingy??

I''m thinking of brining my whaler up for the weekend of the 16-17 to watch the in-port race and leg start...I may just drop in in mystic to avoid the hassle if towing all the way to Newport, parking, trailer storage, etc.

I''m thinking of brining my whaler up for the weekend of the 16-17 to watch the in-port race and leg start...I may just drop in in mystic to avoid the hassle if towing all the way to Newport, parking, trailer storage, etc.

Don't do Mystic. Much better and closer is the Point Judith boat launch

Coordinates are 41.383156, -71.507534

There is one even closer at 41.422158, -71.455357 but very limited parking and if there is any surge at all you will have a very hard time with it.

I am going to do the Pt. Judith launch. From there the run up to the spectator area is about 12 miles.

Look for me. You'll never guess the name of my boat...

Thanks...benefit of mystic is parking car/trailer w family...can you leave car/trailer for a weekend in PJ?

Better location for the Whaler - less cost is to launch & park up Narragansett Bay. Try Borden Light Marina in Fall River, just south of the Braga Bridge.

I've been following this forum for a year or so but this is my first post.

I watched Alvimedica and Abu Dhabi leave Newport in their informal race across the Atlantic from the water and the AC 45's from Fort Adams and given the probable on water exclusion zones (more evident for the AC 45's than the informal VOR race) I prefer Fort Adams.

One of the great things about the west side of Fort Adams is the the water is very deep right up to shore so the boats should be racing in close; especially against an incoming tide in the prevailing May southwesterly sea breeze.

If you have a chance to stay in downtown Newport take advantage of the water taxi/shuttle from Perrotti Park (near Newport Yacht Club). It's not that expensive and a nice ride. Biking or taking a scooter is also a pretty good way to get around.

Keep in mind Fort Adams can be a PITA to get to in typical Newport traffic. If anyone is interested I can post a good fast "locals route" that bypasses most traffic.

~ middlebridge

great post for your first ! but you broke a major rule of engagement, post some titties or get to steppin' !

Better location for the Whaler - less cost is to launch & park up Narragansett Bay. Try Borden Light Marina in Fall River, just south of the Braga Bridge.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Have you tried calling Sail Newport? There is a very nice ramp at the south end of the mule barn with parking for about 10 vehicles and trailers. There may be space at the upper parking lot for storage, and since its in May, many of the summer dry storage boats won't be there yet.

Thanks!
Have you tried calling Sail Newport? There is a very nice ramp at the south end of the mule barn with parking for about 10 vehicles and trailers. There may be space at the upper parking lot for storage, and since its in May, many of the summer dry storage boats won't be there yet.

Just guessing that Sail Newport will be on lockdown. And I'm guessing the upper lot will not be available for trailer parking. Do you recall the ACWS?

Does anyone know if any yacht club parties are planned? During the 1998 Whitbread stopover in Baltimore/Annapolis, Eastport YC had an epic crew party.

Sorry to be late to this. I am sure every yacht club on the harbor, and across to Conanicut, will be having parties. You may be a little late to apply for membership for this season however.

Thanks!
Just guessing that Sail Newport will be on lockdown. And I'm guessing the upper lot will not be available for trailer parking. Do you recall the ACWS?

I was figuring that it's best to stay away from Sail Newport though I do know the ramp you're referring to.

Thanks...benefit of mystic is parking car/trailer w family...can you leave car/trailer for a weekend in PJ?

I don't know about overnight regs as I've only ever used it for going out fishing. Give a call the Galilee Bait n Tackle. They are across the street and likely know the regs.

Need housing within walking distance to downtown? Our plans changed a little and we have a 3BR/1 Bath Suite available airbnb style for Friday, May 15 and Saturday, May 16. $282/night. PM me for more info.

Hey Nic, you gonna stick around for the departure?

if you aren't planning a year ahead you are behind. Haven't you bought Superbowl tickets for next year yet and arrange your lodging.

I booked my Newport trip in October 2014. Got the Marriott NPT for $127/night on a corporate rate! Thank you Boeing!

Am planning on coming down from Boston for the in-port race. I have some friends that are coming from all over (NYC, Florida, and Toronto) to take part in the spectacle. We're all racing each other in the virtual game as well, one of which isn't a sailor in real-life. He got introduced to our crazy sport through the virtual game, which speaks well to the game.

So VOR and VVORG marketing folks, that's some good data for your sponsorship materials re audience capture.

Impressions from the first weekend at Newport stopover:

Top sights:

- Seeing the VOR boats and their crew

- Watching the boathouse crew work: interesting to watch the team reps interface with the shared crew; my opinion judging by body language they were not always on the same page as to how and what to repair; the crowds viewing it all kept anyone from raising their voice

- Seeing Comanche , Pheado3 (and Ramblers mast) up close; plus a bunch of other high end boats to drool over

- Watching the 4 four AC 12 meters that are now charter boats out on the bay; Newport folks see this all the time and many of the neophytes didn't recognize them but I got thrill out of it

- Touring the yacht restoration school and seeing Coronet rebuild

- Hundreds of Opti's and Lasers sailing in the bay (many appeared to be from out of town); this was a neat sight especially in the fog on Saturday.

- The village in general including the dome theater and half hull 'climb in' model

- All the kids pumped up about sailing - especially the girls (SCA was definitely winning the merchandise race with nearly every woman or girl sporting a hat, visor, or shirt plus they have their own pavilion for selling swag separate from the VOR general store)

Lame stuff:

- The Saturday night concert: $35 for a ticket to see some relatively unknown reggae acts; we didn't end up going but probably would have with at least a recognizable act playing - even in the cold and fog. Next weekend seams worse with unknowns from one of the singing competition shows - not sure why they couldn't get decent acts for these shows

- The sponsor tie-ins; seeing the SCA lego model means you also have to endure learning about the latest wi-fi enabled adult diaper that notifies the nursing home which patient wet themselves!

Overall we had a blast - I would highly recommend it if you get the chance; even without seeing in-port or leg start

ahhh, I love sailing parties. See ya all friday eve.

I'm planning to go on the weekend with my kids. I've never been to Newport - should we take our bikes? Is it a good place to bike with 10-11 year-olds? How is the parking at the village? Where is Comanche?

Are there any sailing activities for kids with VOR?

Thanks!

Impressions from the first weekend at Newport stopover:

Top sights:

- Seeing the VOR boats and their crew

- Watching the boathouse crew work: interesting to watch the team reps interface with the shared crew; my opinion judging by body language they were not always on the same page as to how and what to repair; the crowds viewing it all kept anyone from raising their voice

- Seeing Comanche , Pheado3 (and Ramblers mast) up close; plus a bunch of other high end boats to drool over

- Watching the 4 four AC 12 meters that are now charter boats out on the bay; Newport folks see this all the time and many of the neophytes didn't recognize them but I got thrill out of it

- Touring the yacht restoration school and seeing Coronet rebuild

- Hundreds of Opti's and Lasers sailing in the bay (many appeared to be from out of town); this was a neat sight especially in the fog on Saturday.

- The village in general including the dome theater and half hull 'climb in' model

- All the kids pumped up about sailing - especially the girls (SCA was definitely winning the merchandise race with nearly every woman or girl sporting a hat, visor, or shirt plus they have their own pavilion for selling swag separate from the VOR general store)

Lame stuff:

- The Saturday night concert: $35 for a ticket to see some relatively unknown reggae acts; we didn't end up going but probably would have with at least a recognizable act playing - even in the cold and fog. Next weekend seams worse with unknowns from one of the singing competition shows - not sure why they couldn't get decent acts for these shows

- The sponsor tie-ins; seeing the SCA lego model means you also have to endure learning about the latest wi-fi enabled adult diaper that notifies the nursing home which patient wet themselves!

Overall we had a blast - I would highly recommend it if you get the chance; even without seeing in-port or leg start

Will be there at Sail Newport tomorrow splashing my buddy's J/24 for the season. Can't wait to see the boats up close.

Just arrived at Newport, currently staying on spring street, hoping to visit the race village tomorrow

Erdb,

The village is actually encouraging bike use - they have free bike parking with someone there to pump up tires and hand out water to all that bike in. If you can park in town and bike to village that would be the way to go - it's a hilly trip of about 1.5 miles. VOR has a deal with Sail Newport to take people out - but I think you need to sign up in advance.

Parking at the village was free on Friday but $10 on Sat/Sun. Not sure about this weekend, might be more. Taking the water taxi from downtown was great, especially if your drinking but it's $10/adult so it's more expensive than driving.

Comanche and Pheado are at Newport shipyard walking distance NW of town. The AC 12 meters are right in downtown but I hear they will be out on the water during the in port race and start.

Bring your wallet for souvenirs - even the cotton t-shirts are $35, good stuff is a lot more. Saw a someone drop $700 on a handful of shirts and hats.

Great, thanks a lot!

Erdb,
The village is actually encouraging bike use - they have free bike parking with someone there to pump up tires and hand out water to all that bike in. If you can park in town and bike to village that would be the way to go - it's a hilly trip of about 1.5 miles. VOR has a deal with Sail Newport to take people out - but I think you need to sign up in advance.

Parking at the village was free on Friday but $10 on Sat/Sun. Not sure about this weekend, might be more. Taking the water taxi from downtown was great, especially if your drinking but it's $10/adult so it's more expensive than driving.

Comanche and Pheado are at Newport shipyard walking distance NW of town. The AC 12 meters are right in downtown but I hear they will be out on the water during the in port race and start.

Bring your wallet for souvenirs - even the cotton t-shirts are $35, good stuff is a lot more. Saw a someone drop $700 on a handful of shirts and hats.

Looks like a rainy day on Saturday then no wind on Sunday. And once upon a time someone proposed to drop Cape Town from the schedule! At least they have wind there. Hope you all enjoy the stopover and this weekend. I visited Miami for it last time around and while the "in port" race was rather far offshore, I enjoyed seeing the boats and crews. Cape Town is still better though, have seen a stop over there too, and the "in port" is always interesting there.

I am walking around the village now. If you planned a month ago on visiting more than one day you could get a$65 parking pass for the week.

I hope team vestas complained they are stuck off to the side.

Yes I know the schedule say 11am. The village attractions aren't open yet. But you can walk in.

True - but they get their own special movie in dome; its the feel good movie of the year! By my informal estimate they are the least sold merchandise also.

True - but they get their own special movie in dome; its the feel good movie of the year! By my informal estimate they are the least sold merchandise also.

true I personally like how the cutaway hull is painted blue and white.

I was trying to compare my memory of the hull damage versus the cutaway. That is some scary thinking.

Another favorite of mine: the Perkins diesel on the cut away model of the Volvo boat! Must drive the Volvo reps insane every time they walk by...

So we splashed my buddy's J/24 today at Sail Newport and I took some pics.

I didn't realize the marks were that big.

i-BSGnBsv-L.jpg

i-qfWgxd4-L.jpg

I don't know what it is but I want one. You guys think it'll tow a J/24?

i-6j9NJdH-L.jpg

Okay, okay.... enough bullshitting. Let's get the boat in the water.
i-2DXdXmT-L.jpg
i-nksnxWB-X3.jpg
i-mkT3mng-X3.jpg
i-bqZgmmm-X3.jpg

Leaving Sail Newport. Team SCA was out sailing.
i-5tPVvxj-L.jpg
i-xQfKxGS-X3.jpg

Once we were north of the Newport Bridge we saw Mapfre leave the dock. We figured they were heading out to sea until we saw them tack north and start heading in our
direction. The speed of the boat was amazing. They past us to weather at about 20 yards and kept on going - thanks for the gigantic wind shadow guys. It was a great
experience sailing next to one of these boats at such a close distance.
i-ZSGfkr2-X3.jpg
i-Dg7m4gn-X3.jpg
i-M88bmWk-L.jpg
i-WKMmTBd-L.jpg

And just like that they were gone.
i-P7ht2nj-X3.jpg
i-wjR3zLB-L.jpg

Wait a minute! Are you friggin' kidding me? Is that the commodore of out yacht club driving that thing? Turns out it was. That bastard will use any advantage to win a sailboat race but seriously dude... a VO 65 versus a J/24? Talk about overkill. :D
i-WQ242Dz-L.jpg

Vicinity, as cynical as these forums get it is great to hear the excitement and energy in your posts. Hope the weather is good for the weekend.

Cynical? You're just jaded!

Tune in on the front page for announcements of what we're up to in Newport this week. Boatyard t-shirt winning contest about to begin; we will need your questions!

SCA team logistics question for the support crew: How do they get the SCA branded Vo70 to the next port before the racing 65 arrives? The"training boat" seems to always be there for the send off, and then also be there to welcome the girls into the destination port too. You only have one Vo70, right? Who's sailing *that* boat because its clearly going like the clappers...

SCA team logistics question for the support crew: How do they get the SCA branded Vo70 to the next port before the racing 65 arrives? The"training boat" seems to always be there for the send off, and then also be there to welcome the girls into the destination port too. You only have one Vo70, right? Who's sailing *that* boat because its clearly going like the clappers...

The other SCA boat in Newport is a TP52

The SCA VO70 has been sold to SFS sailing who lost their VO70 (ex Azzam) in a boat yard fire.

SCA now has a TP52 which is in Newport.

So yes, two boat trick but slightly different.

already on it! Well done. We gave out three of the SA hats yesterday that we owed folks who've won previous contests. Chasm, I know I owe ya...are you coming to town for the VOR?