Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spring fever

VOR Newport

There will surely be some activity at IYAC. Can get pretty tight in there though. I'm down Fri-Sun and will be out and about.

Not sure yet. Thinking it should be tomorrow night. I've got some budget to buy some free drinks for a hundred Anarchists.

Keep asking your Team SCA questions for our live show tomorrow. Win Girls swag.

May have already been asked of the girls, but is there any feeling of different treatment on shore vs the guys?

And what (so far) has been their favourite part of the race? Has it been on the water in the middle of the ocean? In port at a venue? Elsewhere?

I am on the ground as well if anyone wants to say hi - around the village during the day, follow me on Facebook to see where I am at night :P

We'll be sailing in for the weekend. We have an open cockpit policy for drinks if you see us in the harbor.

Rich & Ruth

sv Spirit (Tartan 37)

We'll be sailing in for the weekend. We have an open cockpit policy for drinks if you see us in the harbor.

Rich & Ruth

sv Spirit (Tartan 37)

Put a nice big sailing anarchy sign up and I'm sure you'll have guests by the dozen.

Worked at the village a couple times during the week, and took my 3 year old daughter today. It really is a great time. I'm very impressed with how available the sailors are. Walking past the team buildings, you're sure to run into some, and so far they've all been very approachable and willing to chat. Had a coffee with Iker Martinez and grabbed a pic with Sophie just to make my wife jealous. My daughter was a little young for a lot of the stuff, but there really is a lot to see. AND, the town is jumping. Good weekend to hit the bars.

post-100253-0-49025500-1431641870_thumb.jpg

Three questions for SCA:

1-Do they think they are sailing to their polars on all points?

2-What evaluation methods are they using to improve?

3-Does the added pressure of having what seams like the best backed team financially and the biggest fan base (particularly female fans of all ages) add to the pressure of decision making?

Which point of sail are SCA happiest with?

Is the FR0 still usable in their opinion?

Are they adjusting their tactics to avoid using the FR0?

SCA stayed with the pack for a considerable proportion of the last leg. Can they put a finger on why they fell off the pace? Boat speed, tactics, sails, general exhaustion?

Do they still have any new sails that they can bring onto the boat?

Are any of the sails in a particularly bad condition?

Will SCA be doing the next race and will the majority of the crew be happy to sign up to do it all again?

EDIT - If they are doing the next race, how do they feel about new boats v old boats and will they be able to compete against each other on a level playing field?

Rich & Ruth

sv Spirit (Tartan 37)

mmm, maybe....

SCA stayed with the pack for a considerable proportion of the last leg. Can they put a finger on why they fell off the pace? Boat speed, tactics, sails, general exhaustion?

I believe this question applies to most, maybe all, legs... not just the last one. They seem to hang in there for 7-10 days and then drop back, pretty consistently.

if you get the chance, Commanche is in the neighborhood, I did get a couple of pictures. I jumped on board one of the sail newport demo rides earlier in the week. We snaked through the mooring fields looking for boats.

Does anyone know who the on-board guests for the in port and send off will be? I heard that Chara was going to be one of them.

Chasm, I know I owe ya...are you coming to town for the VOR?

Most unlikely, got the time but not the dough.

I'll be there tomorrow for the in port. Can't wait.

Anyone know what VHF channel the boats monitor?

I believe sail newport website says VHF 88 but I can't find where I saw that.

Not sure about the boats but the commentary is on 88A

I believe sail newport website says VHF 88 but I can't find where I saw that.

Just trying to watch the sailor's parade on Periscope.app. Ouch. Fragmented, connection lost often, but usually recovers so far. Can't find old feeds, not an easy experience. Will keep trying to see why Amory, Clean, and the VOR are pimping this channel.

Chilling at Fort Adams and waiting for the start. Enjoying the soothing voice of Clean over the PA

Chilling at Fort Adams and waiting for the start. Enjoying the soothing voice of Clean over the PA

one of the most boring sailboat races i´ve ever seen. What the fuck did they think by laying such a course?

I wonder if the teams were told of the course change before gate 4 or at gate 4 because if it was before (depending on how far before, given its a gate and you have to make a call as to which mark to round b4 you get there) then SCA made a mistake but if it was at the gate then SCA got screwed

Mapfre grounded?

SiFi!!!!!

Oops, wrong year and port. :ph34r:

Clean says on FB and the other thread: Video coming.

MAPFRE has a diver down, and they are preparing the boat for underwater epoxy to repair 'a few scratches'. Not allowed to haul out.

Parking lot is a mess. 2 hours and I've only moved 50 feet or so. Next time take a water taxi from downtown.

Bouwe continues to call it straight

"The bad start was my mistake," says Bouwe Bekking after the finish. "You don't want to start in last position, because then you sail the entire race behind the leaders in. We've managed to climb up to fifth position, because we managed to overtake Dongfeng Race Team before rounding the last top mark. It's a pitty that we’re in second position now in the overall In-port series, because we still want to win the In-port race series in Gothenburg."

http://www.brunelsailing.net/en_UK/news/view/team-brunel-finished-5th-in-inport-race

Parking lot is a mess. 2 hours and I've only moved 50 feet or so. Next time take a water taxi from downtown.

Yep, getting out was a total shit show. The parking attendants had a guy on either side with their thumbs up their ass while one guy was directing cars.

The other idiots should have been merging rows.

What's the best closing party to go to?

Had a great time today. I arrived at the Race Village around ten and headed over to the team areas. I got to meet some Alvimedica boys; Amory Ross, Charlie and Mark. I even talked some weather with Will Oxley - great guy. Caught some glimpses of Caudrelier and Escoffier over at Dongfeng. Met Adil Khalid over at Abu Dhabi, shook his hand and told him I really enjoy watching his enthusiasm and the love his has for his country. His smile is contagious. Saw some SCA girls - the Mettraux girls are cuter in person. The rest of the girls were having breakfast and there was a big pow wow going on with Sam Davies and crew.

In my opinion the team area is the best part of the Race Village. These guys and gals are athletes but you have direct access to them. They seek you out and are more than happy to engage the public. You couldn't get this kind of access with a Lebron James or a Tom Brady.

After that I went to the dock to get a from row seat for the dock out. There was a constant flow of sailors walking on and off the dock which was awesome. The parade of sailors was great and I got to profess my love for Sophie Ciszek :wub: . Chara from the Boston Bruins was on board Abu Dhabi for the in port. He looked like a fish out of water on the boat.

The race itself was kind of boring. No tacks or gybes. The course wasn't lined up correctly for the wind direction but I understand that options are limited inside the bay. This is the first time I've watched a sail boat race from Iand I must say that I enjoy it a lot more on TV.

The race village was packed. It seemed like almost everyone was wearing Team SCA garb. On the way out I even ran into Knut. I hope the race comes back to Newport in the future. I had a blast.

i-v687c7H-X2.jpg

i-mvXtFjV-L.jpg

i-VczpNTQ-L.jpg

i-PZWH8LC-L.jpg

i-JkXVKwr-X2.jpg

we are scheduled to interview Jens tomorrow thanks to the insanely hot VORG PR sailor chick Gaia Coretti.

VCP the pic you caught below has me and kevin and eric in a conversation about doing a fun video piece in Lorient that I have been thinking about for a couple of months. They are both lifelong SAers and 100% in for it, but you'll have to wait til we get there to see what it is. I also told Eric that a couple of Anarchist sailor chicks want to take him home for the night...

Come and say hello tomorrow if you see a Sailing Anarchy shirt/hat/hoodie.

i-pcNCpKV-L.jpg

SCA seems to be bringing it on heavy with the marketing to potential investors for more US presence. REALLY heavy.

Did you also happen to chat with your VORG leg 5 winner Jens Gottfredsen? http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/8891_-A-total-whirlwind-.html

No I did not.

Come and say hello tomorrow if you see a Sailing Anarchy shirt/hat/hoodie.

I won't be around tomorrow. I'll catch up with you next time you are in Newport. Cheers.

very smart local says what MAPFRE hit is likely a WW2-era concrete block that may have been used as part of the mooring system for submarines. Been hit many times.

very smart local says what MAPFRE hit is likely a WW2-era concrete block that may have been used as part of the mooring system for submarines. Been hit many times.

Thanks. Because the humour of your original video seemed pure parody, took quite a while before I figured scraping the rock may really have been news.

Based on the bearing and ranges I can see of the video, and having passed by that area almost daily, I believe they hit a charted rock off of bull point. 4 or 5 ft MLW depending on the age or your charts. Unfortunate, but it was nice to see the team and boat appreciate the spectators. There was another un-official race village across the bay that hasn't been counted.

Hundreds of boats out today. Far better showing than Saturday and the weather was perfect. Better racing too. Must have felt good to get that kind of send off from the Alvi prospective. All of the boats for that matter.

Great weekend!

SCA seems to be bringing it on heavy with the marketing to potential investors for more US presence. REALLY heavy.

they were the only team that handed out schwag....I now have a dozen hair scrunchies, 4 flags, 3 wrist bands, 2 pair of binoculars and a bag :blink:

Newport was alive this weekend.....it was good to be there

Someone said in one of the streaming vids that they have a sizable manufacturing presence in Rhode Island? Never heard of the company before this....

Amory in today's May 18 "From the Boats" impressively sums up the stopover success:

Never did we expect that kind of a turnout during a chilly May weekend in Rhode Island, but instead we were treated to a Narragansett Bay mob maybe bigger than it ever was!? Alby thinks he finally knows what it feels like to be a “footballer.” Housty says it was the most impressive sight he’s seen in three Volvo Ocean Races. Nick imagines it as busy or busier than Newport in the 80s, during the America’s Cup glory days his father always reminisces about. It was almost overwhelming--the energy and enthusiasm that everyone showed for this little event of ours--and even if just for a few hours you made us feel like rock stars. Thank you!!

We are so proud of Newport, of sailing in America, and for the unrivaled passion and excitement that we all experienced during our short stay there. Sailing is alive and well in the Ocean State and while we of course relish the return to racing, it was very, very, hard to say goodbye.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/fromtheboats.html

Housty's comment was the most convincing. Almost makes me think risking the parking fees and the latex of Homeland Security might be worth the hassle next time around. Itajaí and Auckland were on my bucket list, but Newport is a contender.

Amory in today's May 18 "From the Boats" impressively sums up the stopover success:

Never did we expect that kind of a turnout during a chilly May weekend in Rhode Island, but instead we were treated to a Narragansett Bay mob maybe bigger than it ever was!? Alby thinks he finally knows what it feels like to be a “footballer.” Housty says it was the most impressive sight he’s seen in three Volvo Ocean Races. Nick imagines it as busy or busier than Newport in the 80s, during the America’s Cup glory days his father always reminisces about. It was almost overwhelming--the energy and enthusiasm that everyone showed for this little event of ours--and even if just for a few hours you made us feel like rock stars. Thank you!!

We are so proud of Newport, of sailing in America, and for the unrivaled passion and excitement that we all experienced during our short stay there. Sailing is alive and well in the Ocean State and while we of course relish the return to racing, it was very, very, hard to say goodbye.

Housty's comment was the most convincing. Almost makes me think risking the parking fees and the latex of Homeland Security might be worth the hassle next time around. Itajaí and Auckland were on my bucket list, but Newport is a contender.

Not to mention a hell of a lot closer too.

Never did we expect that kind of a turnout during a chilly May weekend in Rhode Island, but instead we were treated to a Narragansett Bay mob maybe bigger than it ever was!? Alby thinks he finally knows what it feels like to be a footballer. Housty says it was the most impressive sight hes seen in three Volvo Ocean Races. Nick imagines it as busy or busier than Newport in the 80s, during the Americas Cup glory days his father always reminisces about. It was almost overwhelming--the energy and enthusiasm that everyone showed for this little event of ours--and even if just for a few hours you made us feel like rock stars. Thank you!!

Having been to all 3, I would not hesitate to say that Newport was the best of those 3.

Auckland may have suffered a little dilution because the Cricket World Cup was there at the same time, but Newport was fantastic.

Is that the 5 ft rock just to the west of Fort Adams? The one that's on all the charts?

Soon to be named MapFre rock?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Newport stop over, they put on one heckuva show! I'll be back!

Newport steps up...the only logical stop.

As always.

In HD you get a real feeling for how beautiful the area is.

Rhode Island rocks.

This past weekend ranks among my favourite weekends spectating any event. The atmosphere was amazing, the crowds were into it, the racing on Saturday though a touch chilly definitely looked fun and the weather Sunday was perfect to watch the start.

The sailors and teams were exceptionally open and willing to talk to anyone who happened by, and the venue was set up in such a way that there weren't traffic jams on site (I'm sorry for all of you who drove, biking in was wonderfully easy). And Newport showed once again why it is a total sailor town, everything was plastered with VOR paraphernalia, locals were welcoming and the boats that were around to be seen were a collection that was probably second to none in the world at the moment.

Well known to the locals. Perfectly clear on the charts.

Hey cracker. Where is it?

I'm looking at NOAA 13223 and can't find it.

Thanks

We were just in front, just in line with the word "Fort" of Fort Adams

I didn't think they were that close to the shore...

Rasmus Rock is not that close to shore, as shown on the above chart. Edit: you can push the shore there pretty much everywhere else.......

This be it?

Yep.

i-2S8TBfh-L.jpg

Love this picture. My mother got a similar shot back in '98, I think, of all the boats lined up at the dock when the VOR, or Whitbread, did the Baltimore/Annapolis stopover. Silk Cut, the EF boats and the others lined up just like above. She had it blown up and framed with a couple other shots she took on the water during the Annapolis restart. Was just looking at them over the weekend. Wish I could find the original she took of the boat bows back in '98 to post on here and compare. The difference between then and now is crazy.

Thanks for this pic, Vic, and all the rest. Excellent work.

WetHog :ph34r:

This be it?

I don't think that "Rk" without another symbol marks a rock, it means the bottom is rocky. Rocks are marked with an plus sign + or other symbol (see attached) and sometimes show safety depth.

post-17709-0-32764300-1432139985_thumb.jpg

post-17709-0-75717700-1432139986_thumb.jpg

post-17709-0-62848300-1432139987_thumb.jpg

The 2nd table you show makes it less clear, i think that the blue contour bump with 5 means its a rock, and would expect that.

This be it?

I don't think that "Rk" without another symbol marks a rock, it means the bottom is rocky. Rocks are marked with an plus sign + or other symbol (see attached) and sometimes show safety depth.

It means rock. And it's less than 5' at dead low, BTW.

been a busy week and nothing like being the last to the path. I was there (Newport) on Friday and Sat. Sadly had to bail on Sunday. It was super fun. Great event. Drove down 5 1/2 hours, stayed at a friends house and went out on the water Saturday. We were the 36 footer with the jib up sailing about. Motor was not pumping water so we sailed. Some people were annoyed but heck, it's a SAILBOAT race, right? Well anyway here is what I think is my best shot. Not great but it was the best I got

post-22698-0-21016500-1432177818_thumb.jpg

I'd avoid 5 foot depths if I were the navigator of a V65.

Just sayin.

Some local you are. Depth of the rock was 14' or so.

It wasn't where you think it was at all, it was a couple hundred feet further up the shore, and locals are quite sure it is a concrete block that may have been used as part of the submarine mooring setup for WW2.

They were over there to wave to their VIP tent.

They were over there to wave to their VIP tent.

A classic Costa Concordia manuver.

This was fun when Dongfeng came into the spectator fleet to setup for their port tack start.

I thought they fouled Mapfre but there was no call.

https://youtu.be/Kfdio5L1i9c

Also how to you insert the youtube video that shows a frame and allows you to just click on the video without leaving the forum.

This was fun when Dongfeng came into the spectator fleet to setup for their port tack start.

Also how to you insert the youtube video that shows a frame and allows you to just click on the video without leaving the forum.

stupid spectators are too close to start box

you just have to insert long youtube link //https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfdio5L1i9c (without //)

just use the longer youtube link (not the youtu.be one):

Actually not stupid spectators. We were all in the VIP box which gave us great seats to see the action. Just need to know the right people to get that special flag. Kind of like when a baseball player goes for a fly ball and jumps into the stand.

Thanks for the tip reading the youtube link.

stupid spectators are too close to start box

you just have to insert long youtube link //https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfdio5L1i9c (without //)

Just need to know the right people to get that special flag.

Yessss let your entitled arrogant side out. Let the hate flow through you. Embrace the dark side.

Not really. Ponder this. Good things happen to good people. Bad things happened to bad people.

Just need to know the right people to get that special flag.

Yessss let your entitled arrogant side out. Let the hate flow through you. Embrace the dark side.