Peter Johnstone

PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR RAINMAKER'S CREW

Foam and epoxy-infused CF, not honeycomb. Not sure I would trust the hull after what it has been through, mainly due to salt water ingress, and the water sloshing around and ripping off all fittings cannot have been good for it either...

Hey, Thor, yes I am what this fora would consider to be a newbie; I haven’t owned and raced a boat for 20 years :). I know it; and that’s why I read a lot and why I periodically break silence to ask a question. Similarly, I have followed and read this thread from its inception (and this blog from since before the first G55s and G60s were ever built). However, I guess I must be reading different threads (blog?) than you, though. Because what I have seen “been through the wringer” so far on this thread has been predominantly speculation based on a couple of generic photographs. So (seriously) please tell me what thread/blog you are reading that presents an actual assessment of the actual boat by an actual known qualified person, as I had enquired about? From your message I get the impression that it does exists. I’d truly be happy to read it (them?).

True, some of the speculation on this thread could turn out to be accurate (and probably more conceivably so than a thousand monkeys typing out Shakespeare ;), given the apparent breadth of experience of many of the commentators). But I would still place far more credibility on a true assessment. Moreover, I believe that much could be learned from such a factual assessment. Not just about Rainmaker itself; rather, also for the sake of future designs and construction. Science benefits from such forms of factual and objective assessments; surely the sailing community too would benefit from the equivalent? And how often do you get a floating laboratory opportunity like this?

As for the ‘destructive testing’, I was indeed wondering if Grand Yachting (nee Gunboat) would purchase the hull for precisely that purpose. Especially if (?) they plan to carry on with any similar design features.

Thank you for that additional information about the ‘stop button’ specifics. It was enlightening.

Hey, Thor, yes I am what this fora would consider to be a newbie; I haven’t owned and raced a boat for 20 years :). I know it; and that’s why I read a lot and why I periodically break silence to ask a question. Similarly, I have followed and read this thread from its inception (and this blog from since before the first G55s and G60s were ever built). However, I guess I must be reading different threads (blog?) than you, though. Because what I have seen “been through the wringer” so far on this thread has been predominantly speculation based on a couple of generic photographs. So (seriously) please tell me what thread/blog you are reading that presents an actual assessment of the actual boat by an actual known qualified person, as I had enquired about? From your message I get the impression that it does exists. I’d truly be happy to read it (them?).
True, some of the speculation on this thread could turn out to be accurate (and probably more conceivably so than a thousand monkeys typing out Shakespeare ;), given the apparent breadth of experience of many of the commentators). But I would still place far more credibility on a true assessment. Moreover, I believe that much could be learned from such a factual assessment. Not just about Rainmaker itself; rather, also for the sake of future designs and construction. Science benefits from such forms of factual and objective assessments; surely the sailing community too would benefit from the equivalent? And how often do you get a floating laboratory opportunity like this?
As for the ‘destructive testing’, I was indeed wondering if Grand Yachting (nee Gunboat) would purchase the hull for precisely that purpose. Especially if (?) they plan to carry on with any similar design features.
Thank you for that additional information about the ‘stop button’ specifics. It was enlightening.

I don't think that there will be any more GB 55's built, so I doubt that there will be any changes in design and construction. Of the existing boats I know that one is going to go through a refit to lighten the hull and change the rig. There is a theory that Rainmaker was heavier than the rig was designed for, which could have been the root of the problem. I am not sure that they could really learn much from the hull. Somebody should make it into a floating coffee house - bakery in the anchorage. The contest for a name would be a hoot.

Foam and epoxy-infused CF, not honeycomb. Not sure I would trust the hull after what it has been through, mainly due to salt water ingress, and the water sloshing around and ripping off all fittings cannot have been good for it either...

Epoxy matrix can absorbe 1.5-2% weightratio of water. This affects bonding with the CF and gives a 15% loss of mechanical strenght.

After drying you get your strenght back but all the occured damadge stays and I don't know how the salt acts on the long run.

Did anyone inspect the hull or has any experience with this kind of salvage? I think it's a total loss.

It could have been a nice hull for a DIY project.

Gunboat show news.

Just a few short days after the Cannes International Boat Show, Gunboat will exhibit the GB 5701, the performance version of a Gunboat 55, at the Newport International Boat Show.

September 15th-18th

Reading between the lines - "we missed the deadline but it's all good here at Gunboat - how could it not be all these guru's we hired - even guy to tell us why it all went wrong - bear with us - we'll get there with some cool shit"

Not sure what you are suggesting. What deadline? The new owners were supposed to design and build a new model in 3 months?

I'm pretty sure the new team can give you a pretty good idea of the plans for the new 65. But don't expect to see one until sometime next year.

Reading between the lines - "we missed the deadline but it's all good here at Gunboat - how could it not be all these guru's we hired - even guy to tell us why it all went wrong - bear with us - we'll get there with some cool shit"

Probably nothing to do with the fact that HH 6601 will be in Cannes in person for everybody to step aboard and be greeted by the former Gunboat marketing team. Gunboat " here let me provide you with our latest brochure, our new models will be awesome, honest." ..... HH "Welcome aboard, make yourself at home, let us take you sailing next week and show you what this yacht can do, we have a hull already built for you just let us know your layout requirements." I'm going to Cannes to check it out, I'll keep you posted.

I guess this is as good a time as any to "come out" on SA. I've accepted a job at Gunboat as Technical and Sales Director. I've been involved and passionate about the boats since the very first one, Tribe, in 2004. The new owners (GL Yachting) have a great attitude and approach and I'm super optimistic about the future. I wouldn't have jumped aboard if I didn't think they had the financial wherewithal, passion, and approach needed to succeed. I had my own successful and lucrative business doing multihull consulting, the majority of which was overseeing construction of a competing brand. I had grave concerns about the future of that brand. I decided I wanted to be part of something bigger, something better, something I could believe in. Every current GB employee is a former GB employee or "family" member. The brand and heritage will be honored. GB will remain GB. Evolution, not revolution. Except this time there will be accountability for schedule, weight, and cost (though some may say that's revolutionary...cough, cough).

As for our presence at Cannes, it could be viewed as a way to overshadow the debut of HH6601 and an opportunity to give pause to serious buyers thinking of buying an HH...but that would be cynical. I prefer to view it as the logical next step for a resurgent company that also happens to be based in the S of France. And like HH, we too can take people sailing right away on a current model. The very next week we will be in Newport with 5701 (which is an absolute weapon). Our new 65 design is also developing nicely. I'm on way now to France for a design session with the premier multihull designers in the world (announcement forthcoming). We'll be debuting the 65 design at the Annapolis Boat Show but should have some unofficial sneak peeks at Cannes and Newport.

Jaybird, I look forward to having a beer with you in Cannes with "Gunboat's former marketing team". Gunboat is a family. And like a family, you're never not family. i prefer to think that they are just temporarily distracted. We haven't redecorated their room and there is still a seat at the table whenever they want to come home. We'll leave a light on.

I guess this is as good a time as any to "come out" on SA. I've accepted a job at Gunboat as Technical and Sales Director. I've been involved and passionate about the boats since the very first one, Tribe, in 2004. The new owners (GL Yachting) have a great attitude and approach and I'm super optimistic about the future. I wouldn't have jumped aboard if I didn't think they had the financial wherewithal, passion, and approach needed to succeed. I had my own successful and lucrative business doing multihull consulting, the majority of which was overseeing construction of a competing brand. I had grave concerns about the future of that brand. I decided I wanted to be part of something bigger, something better, something I could believe in. Every current GB employee is a former GB employee or "family" member. The brand and heritage will be honored. GB will remain GB. Evolution, not revolution. Except this time there will be accountability for schedule, weight, and cost (though some may say that's revolutionary...cough, cough).

As for our presence at Cannes, it could be viewed as a way to overshadow the debut of HH6601 and an opportunity to give pause to serious buyers thinking of buying an HH...but that would be cynical. I prefer to view it as the logical next step for a resurgent company that also happens to be based in the S of France. And like HH, we too can take people sailing right away on a current model. The very next week we will be in Newport with 5701 (which is an absolute weapon). Our new 65 design is also developing nicely. I'm on way now to France for a design session with the premier multihull designers in the world (announcement forthcoming). We'll be debuting the 65 design at the Annapolis Boat Show but should have some unofficial sneak peeks at Cannes and Newport.

Jaybird, I look forward to having a beer with you in Cannes with "Gunboat's former marketing team". Gunboat is a family. And like a family, you're never not family. i prefer to think that they are just temporarily distracted. We haven't redecorated their room and there is still a seat at the table whenever they want to come home. We'll leave a light on.

Well good luck and guess we will be seeing less of you here, LOL.

Always thought the Captain of RM got much undeserved sh*t here and loved the G4 but the 55 and other designs seemed just so far from what originally made Gunboat, well... Gunboat.

I would be curious how you would retrospectively describe the design brief for the 57.

The good luck wishes are sincere. Retirement can be seen and Gunboat may be in our future but I am pretty sure it would be one of the older/original models, not the current or recent offering... but we have an open mind.

Soma, I wasn't calling you out although looking back it seems that way. I am happy for you in your new position. I am well aware of how strong the bonds are in the Gunboat family particularly with you. I think that it was a good move for HH to grab them up when they were available, and and it was a good move for them as well. Once again the commissioning captain is in the position of being the only person on the planet with hands on knowledge of a new design that has just been launched. I am not sure how he does that. I look forward to seeing you in Cannes as well, and to hear more about the future of Gunboat, they still remain close to my heart, and I wish you all the best. I feel fortunate to be able to occasionally hitch a ride on the deliveries of any of the luxury carbon fiber cats, GB or HH, beggars can't be choosers, I just like to drive them.

Always thought the Captain of RM got much undeserved sh*t here and loved the G4 but the 55 and other designs seemed just so far from what originally made Gunboat, well... Gunboat.

I would be curious how you would retrospectively describe the design brief for the 57.

The good luck wishes are sincere. Retirement can be seen and Gunboat may be in our future but I am pretty sure it would be one of the older/original models, not the current or recent offering... but we have an open mind.

Wess,

Thanks for best wishes. I'm excited.

Though I can't see retirement, a GB48 is my plan. I'd love to go around the world with my family on a 48. I'll keep you posted as events develop and feel free to come to the boat shows or PM me for details.

Jaybird,

I just retraced your footsteps across the Atlantic on the same GB you did (we hit 25.6!). We saw your painting on the seawall in Horta. We'll have you cheerleading for GB again before too long, too. There's no "us and them" mentality, just "us and soon to be us".

Wess,

Thanks for best wishes. I'm excited.

Though I can't see retirement, a GB48 is my plan. I'd love to go around the world with my family on a 48. I'll keep you posted as events develop and feel free to come to the boat shows or PM me for details.

Jaybird,

I just retraced your footsteps across the Atlantic on the same GB you did (we hit 25.6!). We saw your painting on the seawall in Horta. We'll have you cheerleading for GB again before too long, too. There's no "us and them" mentality, just "us and soon to be us".

Soma, I was a skeptic of the Gunboat concept until about a week into that Trans- Atlantic. Many uncomfortable ocean miles on mono hulls with bad knees at a 20 degree heel led me to believe that is how it was supposed to be. Sailing flat at high speed on a strong easy to handle boat changed my opinion. Turning off the auto pilot on a night watch and just driving the boat for a few hours gave me a great appreciation of what a great sailing boat they are. I am still a cheerleader for GB, just confused as to the new direction. I am also interested in finding out just what HH is offering, and seeing first hand the quality of their product. See you in Cannes.

Soma,

Congratulations on the new position at Gunboat.! It will be interesting to watch the development that happens over the next year or so. It was cool to see names of many friends of mine on the new Gunboat list of employees; all good people indeed.

I'll love to see the new 65 concept and will hope for its success..!

Should you ever wish to talk, you can find my email here.

Hal

Thank you - very interesting pics. The amount of corrosion on the genset is amazing! And what are those interior cabinets made of? From the port bow damage looks like the fallen spar hung about for qu9ite a while. Were there any rigging remnants left on deck?

If I were on the Rainmaker and had diesel drives I would be much more likely to set out for the shore in those conditions. Under electric power, no way I would even think about it. I designed and built a 50' fast crusing cat with genset and two electric fixed props on shafts that drove the boat nicely but it had a range of maybe 8 miles with full batts in calm seas and no genset running. The genset was not up to the task of driving both electric motors indefinitely in calm conditions and was not really happy running when the boat was tossing around. Hard to drive 2 9kw electric motors with a 15 KW genset. I think a 30 KW genset in that cat might have been acceptable but I have looked at the Gunboat hybrid drive in the 60's and think it is much better balanced and managed. Still not sure I would set out for the mainland in that situation with all that sensitive electro magic that the Rainmaker faced. A good old direct drive diesel with clean fuel and good filters should keep running until the air intake went underwater and I might have a run for it.

I don't think that was even in the minds of the crew and owner on the Rainmaker at the time. The Boss said 'lets get the hell out of here when we can' and that was that. Don't fault the skipper for jumping ship when the owner clearly wanted to leave things up to the insurance. Don't judge unless you have been in those shoes...

Agree with you, we SmartTri40 also tried electric drives and for normal operation in and out of harbors it worked fine, in fact the electric drives instant slow speed torque made it a pleasure.

The genset was sized to half propulsion power. Sound like a good idea to have full power from batteries for 1 hour and then indefinite motoring on diesel at half power.

This worked well until something went wrong, in our case rudder failure and the sea is not flat calm, removing a motor self rescue from the list!

Currently my view is electric propulsion unless with a genset big enough to indefinitely power the drives is a liability and an unnecessary security risk.

If the genset is that big, why not use two properly powered diesel engines,

There is just nothing that have the power density of a liter diesel.

The only plus I can see is better weight distribution. If that is enough to offset the cost and complexity I am not convinced anymore.

Thank you - very interesting pics. The amount of corrosion on the genset is amazing! And what are those interior cabinets made of? From the port bow damage looks like the fallen spar hung about for qu9ite a while. Were there any rigging remnants left on deck?

My guess would be the bow damage is from the longeron/sprit. It had enough lines through it and attached to it to keep it around awhile.

Wow - those pics are crazy. Who salvaged her?

Pay attention - she was found drifting off Bermuda. Towed in. Looks like she was hauled out, pressure washed & is now up for auction. Could be yours!!

Wow - those pics are crazy. Who salvaged her?

Pay attention - she was found drifting off Bermuda. Towed in. Looks like she was hauled out, pressure washed & is now up for auction. Could be yours!!

Yeah - I got all that, Einstein. So back to my question - who salvaged her?

Soma, I wasn't calling you out although looking back it seems that way. I am happy for you in your new position. I am well aware of how strong the bonds are in the Gunboat family particularly with you. I think that it was a good move for HH to grab them up when they were available, and and it was a good move for them as well. Once again the commissioning captain is in the position of being the only person on the planet with hands on knowledge of a new design that has just been launched. I am not sure how he does that. I look forward to seeing you in Cannes as well, and to hear more about the future of Gunboat, they still remain close to my heart, and I wish you all the best. I feel fortunate to be able to occasionally hitch a ride on the deliveries of any of the luxury carbon fiber cats, GB or HH, beggars can't be choosers, I just like to drive them.

Soma, congratulations, best wishes, following with interest. Cheers.

Robalex117, was there any sign of damage from when Rainmaker bumped against the freighter that attempted to rescue the crew, with resultant 'crunching' being reported? Or instead was the hull strong enough to absorb that impact without outward signs of damage?

Robalex117, was there any sign of damage from when Rainmaker bumped against the freighter that attempted to rescue the crew, with resultant 'crunching' being reported? Or instead was the hull strong enough to absorb that impact without outward signs of damage?

Port bow had damage, starboard bow looked fine.

Zero first hand knowledge but from what I have been told is it sold to a local day boat operator. Plan is for outboards. Lots of patching of the hull but not in a very cosmetically pleasing way. I would call it down and dirty. Located in a yard before you get to the Dockyards by land.

Any idea what's going on with it? Did it sell?

Can we stick a fork in this thread? Maybe a Rainmaker resurrection thread?

I don't pray, it's not my thing.

The name "Rainmaker" always put me in mind of $$ sprinkling down on strippers #ironic

I note that the prayers were sought for the crew.

They are safe and have been for a long time.

No more praying needed if ever it was.

There may be a resurrection of the yacht but prayer is not required for that.

Acat, sarcasm is often missed by those that read here.

Zero first hand knowledge but from what I have been told is it sold to a local day boat operator. Plan is for outboards. Lots of patching of the hull but not in a very cosmetically pleasing way. I would call it down and dirty.

That's gonna be fun to watch. PJ will be pleased.

I don't see it as being financially viable. Everything is gone, or ruined and needs replacing. All there is to work with are the hulls and deck, which probably have a fair amount of damage and wet core. Perhaps the plan is to make it a daysailer, minus all the luxury trappings, and there's parts from another boat that can be reused.

Id do it. So would you Rod. Look at some of the other oddball shit you and I have done.

Id do it. So would you Rod. Look at some of the other oddball shit you and I have done.

Did you fix your 24 mast? It looked repairable to me, at least for racing at club level.

So glad it is on Facebook so I can't see it. Yet another advantage of not participating.

PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR RAINMAKER'S new CREW of Kool-Aid drinkers. May they not run out of cash nor come to their senses before the last yard boy is paid. Has there ever been a refit that made economic sense? This one is epic!

Void Ho!

does anyone know how much it sold for at auction ?

i've read somewhere it was 40k.

In Cornwall? Long way to ship for a refit...

Reading this I thought you were kidding...but no, (what's left of) Rainmaker is in Cornwall...

PLEASE SAY A PRAYER FOR RAINMAKER'S new CREW of Kool-Aid drinkers. May they not run out of cash nor come to their senses before the last yard boy is paid. Has there ever been a refit that made economic sense? This one is epic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

Void Ho!

No fucking shit, those glorious delusional bastards.

Atleast they look like they have the skills, and it won't be ferrying cruise ship denizens with a palapa bimini...

I don't have the expertise to know if its truth or fiction but hear tell that the nicely constructed, light, strong, primary structure should largely be fine; acquired for ~$30K and shipped for less... some new structure for curved boards instead of centerboards, outboards in sleds, minimal fit-out and drop in second hand big rig. Cheap fun cruising weapon?

Who knows? Not me.

I believe one can buy one of the 55 hull deck/bulkheads for under $200k, The HDB are still, by far, the cheapest part of the build and Rainmaker2 owner needs to keep emotion out of the decisions, as his wallet will get tested to the max