Bob Perry

My newest project

16 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Here is the jpeg of the 52'er:

Don SP 8-28-17

Sorry, but for me the pilothouse that far forward just looks wonky.

55 minutes ago, monsoon said:

Sorry, but for me the pilothouse that far forward just looks wonky.

Unique, unconventional, different, but not wonky.  In fact, I like that feature a lot.

Out of all the work I have seen from Bob this one is a miss.  That cabin layout is just wrong to my eye.  But I am not the customer so there's that...

Yes, there is that Sailman. I think the layout is ideal for me and Don.

Pilot house location is not an independent feature. It's a function of the overall layout. It's easy to be critical when you are unable to see the big picture.

Here's the deal. Almost all cruising boats are designed from the inside out. The layout determines the volume required, beam, displ etc. the freeboard and to some degree the treatment of the ends. With a layout chosen the designer then puts a "lid" aka cabin trunk on the boat that allows the layout to work, headroom etc.. Not the other way around. It could be the other way around, i.e. starting with the profile but then the layout would be compromised. I think cruising boat aesthetics require looking at the boat from the boat so you can see how all the elements must work together. I think I cover this well in my book. The position of the pilot house cannot arbitrarily slide around without requiring an entirely different layout.

The overall look I was after is very similar to two Garden designs I have admired since I was a boy, DECISION and DISCOVERY two stellar looking yachts with pilot house well forward and small detached aft cabins. Wish I could say that I innovated this approach but alas it's been done before. I really like this PH forward look.

Just spoke to Jim Betts. I'm waiting for the call to tell me cutter no. 1 is leaving the barn. According to Jim it's timing will depend on getting the only Travel Lift in Anacortes that can fit in the shed scheduled. Tomorrow the boat will be surveyed. Looks like end of the week before the boat leaves the barn.

When I think of the boat I'd like to have I think of the gear I would carry, where I would spend free time and where I could entertain company. This boat has a lot of what I'd have.

I would have a bottle, little beer fridge, my dog and an acoustic guitar(laminate or CF) and enjoy the privacy and coziness of the aft cabin. Don't see that transom pounding waves at the Marina or mooring.Try getting any rest in a bow vberth in a blow...let your guests have the bow;)

The smaller PH has all the space you need to plot courses, steer in inclement weather with the mast well clear of sight lines, make meals and hang with guests after.

No hard dodger sticking out into the cockpit

No big berths; I don't want people knocking boots all over my boat, like charter bang boats

Nice big cockpit benches for hanging out and relaxing since the PH doesn't own the deck

Simple sail plan, easy to handle without too much thought

Room for 4 fishing poles and a removable rod holders on the aft rail to make fresh dinner a possibility

Beer:

As with most PH boats the volume outboard of the raised dinette is hard to use effectively or conveniently. But it would make a good place to stow a guitar or two maybe slide a didgeridoo in for fun. You would have to remove the seat back for access though.

The didgeridoo might have an unfortunate accident if if found its way onto my boat. It would go in the same 'locker' with the bagpipes. 

I was once getting seated on a plane and a young lady came up to take the seat next to me. She was struggling with her bags and a bit too short to reach the overhead locker. I asked if i could help and she handed me a long, thin velvet bag and said, "Be careful, it's a musical instrument."  I asked, "Is it a didgeridoo?" She said it was and asked how did I know that. I explained I grew up in Australia and it was the only instrument I could think of that was that shape. Turned out she was a didgeridoo virtuoso. Turned out she was also the daughter of Al Martino (crooner in GODFATHER). So,,,I got that going for me.

1 minute ago, IStream said:

Which is nice.

Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga.

Hey!  How about a little something--you know--for the effort?

A good didg player is a remarkable thing to hear, they can coax a lot out of a hollow log. 

I found my way to a late night tent at a music festival that had a drum and bass duo, one on a carbon slide didg. Killer set, sitting on hay bales watching this lunatic dance and jump about, nearly braining the front row of hippies

Carbon cutter no. 1 rolls out of the barn at 10am, tomorrow. Will be to be able to step back and get a new perspective on the boat away from the confines of the shed. I've seen it outside once before but it was far from finished then. Kim is coming up for the show. Any of you in the area tomorrow are most certainly welcome. I will take a lot of photos.

14 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Carbon cutter no. 1 rolls out of the barn at 10am, tomorrow.

We're on the 11:00 Ferry to Anacortes tomorrow, arriving shortly after Noon.  Will you still be there then?  I would love to stop by before heading south.

Really happy for you, I'm appreciative  when new and innovative products roll out the door. The trickle down theory applies to this project and the knowledge the industry's going to get from it is remarkable. Thank you for your hard brain work. I know it is more exhausting than labor any day...

Valis:

Probably not but that should not stop you from visiting the yard . Just announce yourself as a friend of Bob and doors will open for you.

Actually I suspect the action will be relatively frenetic tomorrow and no one would even notice you walking around. But if you want to be formal ask for Neil.

If you are going to show up I'll see if I can stay that long. I wouldn't want someone to steal my stool at the La Conner Pub.

Thanks Bob.  I suppose we will just keep driving once we get off the boat.  We have been dog-sitting our son's young corgi and we will be delivering him back to California, so it's going to be a long day.

I do look forward to eventually seeing the cutters again though.

53 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Carbon cutter no. 1 rolls out of the barn at 10am, tomorrow. Will be to be able to step back and get a new perspective on the boat away from the confines of the shed. I've seen it outside once before but it was far from finished then. Kim is coming up for the show. Any of you in the area tomorrow are most certainly welcome. I will take a lot of photos.

I would sure like to be there, but I have an important meeting tomorrow at 0900. Have fun. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

I thought about the comments that the PH on my 52' excersize looked too far forward. Can't help that. It has to be there. But then I got to talking with a friend who is a house architect and well versed in yacht design. He suggested adding some overhang on the back of the house. I have the height there for headroom and it would make a great place to hunker down and get out of the rain. I added 28" of overhang.

I think it changes the aesthetic balance of the pilot house. I quite like it.

Don m. layout b&j

Looks better to me too.  Seems obvious, now you've drawn it there.

That house top is lots better.

Small stuff can sure make a big difference.

I think you should always draw booms that way, with some shape. With Park Avenue booms or V-booms and boom furlers they'd be a bit thicker, but the good ones have shape.

3 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

I thought about the comments that the PH on my 52' excersize looked too far forward. Can't help that. It has to be there. But then I got to talking with a friend who is a house architect and well versed in yacht design. He suggested adding some overhang on the back of the house. I have the height there for headroom and it would make a great place to hunker down and get out of the rain. I added 28" of overhang.

I think it changes the aesthetic balance of the pilot house. I quite like it.

Don m. layout b&j

Quite a difference for such subtle changes.  Looks more balanced. And looks like its got some attitude!

It looks nice. 28" did make a nice improvement and it ain't a dodger!

Monsoon:

I hear you but I wonder what attitude you are looking for. I would suspect it's not the same attitude as mine. I am more "poke he dog with a stick": type.

On 8/29/2017 at 10:35 AM, MisterMoon said:

The didgeridoo might have an unfortunate accident if if found its way onto my boat. It would go in the same 'locker' with the bagpipes. 

...and the banjos and harmonicas. (as much as I love the blues) I'm thinking a Bondian moving-wall "crushbox", with the resulting wafer being cast/flung overboard.

13 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Thanks nroose. We can build you one. Color preference?

I've got a couple of questions.

1. How long does a voyage/vacation have to be to justify a 52-er?

2. When the rest of the guys in the band show up, which cabin are going to jam in?

It looks so much better than a new Beneteau of similar size. It looks like a sailboat.

Buy that guy a beer!  Much better aesthetics to it with that extension and it serves practical function. 

Semi:

I was just thinking a leisurely life on Puget Sound and surrounding waters.

Semi: "That guy" is Jeff H. a moderator on SailNet, a good residential architect and a good friend. His version of the extension was different but the key is that he came up with the idea. It was fueled along by Monsoon and Sailman's comments. Better function now and better aesthetics. Win/win.

2 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

1. How long does a voyage/vacation have to be to justify a 52-er?

Well, I have been known to go sailing for an hour or so on my 62'er.........

..........time spent aboard your sailboat is not counted when figuring your total lifespan.

16 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Monsoon:

I hear you but I wonder what attitude you are looking for. I would suspect it's not the same attitude as mine. I am more "poke he dog with a stick": type.

I meant it has a bit of I fucketh off not 'tude. 

Its remarkable how a relatively small change can convey such a change in the overall aesthetic.  Bob, asking to ask: are you willing to say what a build might cost?  Big dreams should be dreamt big!

SSB

Monsoon:

Good I can relate.

Show bob:

I rpobably should bul shit you but that's hopefully not my style. As long as we are just dreaming here let's dream $2,000,000 to 2.3. I will know better when I have a cost for Carbon cutter no. 1.

Just back from the yard. Fun day watching the boat come out of the barn. I have a ton of photos.

I like the longer pilothouse too. The old one did look too short.

Now about that tiny circular window... I realize this is sketch time and it's a placeholder, but stretch out the 2 side windows so aft window covers the overhang. With bonded on windows you don't realize there is a bulkhead behind the window. This is to ensure  you have good sideways visibility when hunkered down and it's raining. Pet peeve is bad dodger visibility, hard or otherwise. And it makes the house a bit longer and sleeker looking too59a883941ae6b_betterwindows.thumb.jpg.6a512a9f605fcfe0e60d7bff945c5282.jpg

There's a small boat I admire every time I see it. Today I noticed the forward position of the house and thought of this thread. I think it's a Cape Dory Typhoon and it also has a rounded port. I don't mind the forward location. It looks perfect to me. Maybe the coamings are the difference.

2ofClPWxF6oEtbFOKS07I88OrKoJ9L8DjbPLWeF_

The Carbon cutter looks just great.  the darker stripe makes all the difference.

1 hour ago, Grey Dawn said:

There's a small boat I admire every time I see it. Today I noticed the forward position of the house and thought of this thread. I think it's a Cape Dory Typhoon and it also has a rounded port. I don't mind the forward location. It looks perfect to me. Maybe the coamings are the difference.

2ofClPWxF6oEtbFOKS07I88OrKoJ9L8DjbPLWeF_

Forgive me but I think that's a McVay Bluenose 23

Image result for bluenose 23

kdh:

That is Port Orford cedar a vert famous boat building wood in the PNW. I have a custom guitar with a Port Orford Cedar top. Sounds like shit.

33 minutes ago, py26129 said:

Forgive me but I think that's a McVay Bluenose 23

I think you're right, py. The stern overhang is a much better fit. Whatever, I love the look.

How about the shorter ph with shades in the rendering? Was that the visual break needed instead of the extension? Probably not, but I did like the first version with a larger open cockpit after looking at it for a couple of hours. No need to reply, just wondering out loud...

Every year Cruising World gives out more and more sailboat awardz in such sharply defined categories that every (advertised) boat is a winner. 

Thus,  "Biggest Ass Sink" must go to this boat or there will rioting in the streets. Seriously the stripes make it. Can't wait for the mast.!

Cutter looks famous. 

On the pilot house, the only problem with the overhang into the cockpit will be the aft corners of the sliding hatch opening. They will end up covered in foam and duct tape as everyone new to the boat will club themselves. Ask me how I know. 

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Cutter looks famous. 

On the pilot house, the only problem with the overhang into the cockpit will be the aft corners of the sliding hatch opening. They will end up covered in foam and duct tape as everyone new to the boat will club themselves. Ask me how I know. 

"Usually people only do that once."

10 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Oh yeah,  I thought I was talking about a real boat.. Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Damn that's awesome! Real boats give me a rush... I'm sure the future 52' will be beautiful without my input;). I'll keep on drooling, dreaming and saving my $$$and some day...

17 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Monsoon:

Good I can relate.

Show bob:

I rpobably should bul shit you but that's hopefully not my style. As long as we are just dreaming here let's dream $2,000,000 to 2.3. I will know better when I have a cost for Carbon cutter no. 1.

Just back from the yard. Fun day watching the boat come out of the barn. I have a ton of photos.

Bob, will they all be white? I guess a darker colour would also be very nice.

Thanks guys.

Yes, as far as I know all boats will be white, for practical purposes. Each will have a different wale and boot stripe color.

The response on Facebook has been overwhelming. Some of it a bit stupid but most very congratulatory. One guy was happy to see a designer finally going back to full keels. I advised him that it would have been a fin if I had my choice. It's 2017 fer God';s sake! The rudder/strut config puzzles a lot of people. I seem to be getting credit for innovating the outboard rudder!

Victor showed up for the roll out yesterday. Always good to see him.

Omer:

For your boat we can do a really dark blue or an almost black dark green. White wale and boot. Spectacular.

17 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

058 - Copy

Great sink but a major mistake to not have counter space on both sides.  Having the cook top next to a sink is lame.

sinks.png.1c78b16d4d02fd62337d7db452f2eb31.png

19 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Show bob:

I think most of us would tell you that one of the reasons we appreciate your involvement here is the complete lack of bullshit.  That WAG at the price is less than I'd have guessed.  Art costs.

sshowbob:

If I knew the cost of no. 1 cutter void of the tooling costs for the other boats, I could get a price per pound of displ. Wag'ing now I suspect it would be about $32/lb. Using that number the 52'er would come in at $1,524,286. But that sounds low to me. Could be but if you were my client I'd tell you to get ready for $2,000,000. A lot would have to do with choices of gear and interior finish materials. No point in bullshitting potential clients.

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

A few more shots from yesterday.

Can you explain the different rollers on this photo?  Looks like a lot of options. :)

Maui:

Two roller setup for two different anchors, all mocked up months ago after the great anchor debate. I stayed out of that one.

Sponger:

Yes, basically. They will connect a hose to that test fitting and make sure the sea chest intakes are all working. Probably run the engine prior to launch.

Is a date and (travel lift) location set?   If so where can one obtain permission to attend?

Kiwanda

Kiwanda:

Rig goes in next Tuesday so I suspect launch will be at least a week from then. But I will post here when I know. You are most welcome at the launch. Launch will be right next to the yard. Pretty sure Travel lift has not been scheduled yet.

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Maui:

Two roller setup for two different anchors, all mocked up months ago after the great anchor debate. I stayed out of that one.

What is the roller on the underside?  Or is that for protection against scraping the sprit?

7 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Maui:

I suppose. I'll say this. It's what is needed to make that anchor work. I'll ask next Tuesday when I am back at the yard.

Cool.  I could see the anchor resting against the underside wedged into that roller if under tension.

36550594550_e51b8680fe_b.jpg

36807115171_e7fa407a44_b.jpg

Beautiful. Kitted out, out in the sunlight she really draws in your eye. There's going to be lots of lingering as people walk by her on the dock.

Could you make a laminated cutting board (light and dark timber) that has a rebate to sit in the top of the sink but half its width. Could be slid to either end and offers more bench space. Sorry if it's been suggested. 

That looks so cool! I love the attention to details.

What anchor style is the roller system set up for? Roll-bar stye anchors (Manson supreme etc) or the more conventional CQR type?

Alcy:

We have discussed that.. I drew a double sink. One small  and one large. Owner wanted one big sink. One was built to his spec but he didn't like it. This is his second sink. I think it will work very well.

Overbend:

I'll get exact anchor specs today or Tuesday for you.

Overlay:

You don't need to "get it". It's a custom design for someone else. There's a lot you don;t get.

I just don't get it that some folks don't understand the concept of a 'custom' boat.  If somebody commissions a boat at great expense it is because they don't want what's on the shelf or they would have saved a lot of time, money, and stress by buying one.  

I think if somebody has the money and desire to commission a sailboat they have a good idea of what they want, we aren't talking about small change here.  It's like ND and Catari.  ND was obviously a very successful businessman, he didn't do that by luck alone.  He is obviously a man that knows what he wants, and is doing things his way. I suspect the gent that commissioned the carbon cutters knows what he wants, and is doing it his way as well.  Questioning the decisions these folks make is either just plain stupid or it's trolling.  I suspect that trolling is a good part of the criticisms here.

In my opinion, the last 3 projects Bob has shared here are works of art.  Kim, ND and the carbon cutter dude all came to Bob with a vision and Bob took their ideas and translated them into 3 different, very distinctive, incredible boats, while satisfying the clients needs.  That has to be more difficult even than herding cats.  I would dare say all three projects will become iconic examples of a designer at the peak of his talent, and we are fortunate to have a front row seat and drool at the process.  People will be talking about these boats for years to come.

Thanks for all you do Bob and thanks for sharing so generously.  Thanks to the owners also for allowing this to happen.

22 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Thanks guys.

Yes, as far as I know all boats will be white, for practical purposes. Each will have a different wale and boot stripe color.

The response on Facebook has been overwhelming. Some of it a bit stupid but most very congratulatory. One guy was happy to see a designer finally going back to full keels. I advised him that it would have been a fin if I had my choice. It's 2017 fer God';s sake! The rudder/strut config puzzles a lot of people. I seem to be getting credit for innovating the outboard rudder!

Victor showed up for the roll out yesterday. Always good to see him.

Omer:

For your boat we can do a really dark blue or an almost black dark green. White wale and boot. Spectacular.

Bob I definately want a really dark blue. how about  white- green like oxidised copper for wale and stripe and slightly off white tops.

I also have a question. Speed wise- All other things being equal, how would you compare this boat with one with a conventional GRP hull but with a fin keel?  i.e. more weight but less wetted area.  

Omer:

Not more weight. Same displ just less ballast. I have a 43% B/D in the carbon version. You could drop that to 38% and be fine. But saving all that weight in the hull and deck really lowers the VCG of the carbon boat and it will be a very stiff and powerful sailer. I think the carbon version will be the faster boat in a breeze and below 15 knots both boats would be about equal. I'd have to run VPP's for both to be sure. But that's my gut feel. I do have several full keel boats that perform very well. I'm not new to these types of boats.

Soaker:

Many thanks. I am continually puzzled by the lack of ability by some to understand the nature of custom design. Proa's silly comments on the sink are a perfect example as are Overlay's criticisms. Features they don't get are features required by the client. It is not my job to give the client the boat I want. My job is to give the client the boat he or she wants. They just don't get it!

It's not difficult for most of us but I suspect no amount of explaining would help either of them. You can't understand if you don't want to understand. My cutter clients wife summed it up nicely a few weeks ago, "He's never had so much fun."

53 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

Questioning the decisions these folks make is either just plain stupid or it's trolling.  I suspect that trolling is a good part of the criticisms here.

4 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

I am continually puzzled by the lack of ability by some to understand the nature of custom design. Proa's silly comments on the sink are a perfect example as are Overlay's criticisms. Features they don't get are features required by the client. It is not my job to give the client the boat I want. My job is to give the client the boat he or she wants. They just don't get it!

It's not difficult for most of us but I suspect no amount of explaining would help either of them. You can't understand if you don't want to understand.

It's neither stupid nor trolling, it's simply expressing a difference of opinion.  We all have that right.  Got it?  Now fuck off.

Calm down Proa. Why criticize the sink my client designed for himself. He couldn't care less what you think about the sink. This is a custom boat. This boat has nothing to do with what you think is "better".

I fucketh off not. Get used to it.

Beer:

ND is Nessun dorma the first two words of the famous Puccini aria from TURANDOT. It translates to "nobody sleeps". Considered by many the greatest tenor aria ever written.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:15 PM, Bob Perry said:

I am more "poke he dog with a stick": type.

Stop doing that Bob.  I couldn't care less what you what you or your client think about my opinion, OK?  I'll say what I want anyway.  Fuck off.