• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bob Perry

My newest project

11,420 posts in this topic

AAAA is the American Association for the Abolition of Acronyms .....

I really like the fact you worked in sea chests.
Very practical.
The owner must be a very experienced and interesting sailor.
I see nice doors going aft. They aren't watertight are they? (I don's see 6 dogs....) but they are certainly fire tight.

56 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Nice Olaf I'm in.

OFFS!

(Oh For F's Sake!)

Those performance numbers are pretty impressive for a 35000 lb 43' boat! Cool. 

10 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Very practical.
I see nice doors going aft. They aren't watertight are they? (I don's see 6 dogs....) but they are certainly fire tight.

I think they lead to the reactor compartment.

Fast:

We call the "watertight doors" but I'm not sure they truly are. They are better than just doors. They are gasketed with very stout (and expensive) dogs.

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Will:

Next time out I'll take a notebook and get some real numbers.

Take a satellite tracker. I'll be there Tuesday and lend you mine if you like. 

John:

Thanks.

Not sure when we are going out.

Not sure I can work a satellite tracker. The instruments are working very well. But I'm open to your idea.

We have to coordinate the next sail with Jack Christiansen from North. He's been non committal on the day.

I'll PM you when I know what day we are going out. I could be there Tuesday just for a get together.

I just sit at the shack, "Are we going sailing? Are we?" Are we huh?" Like Ruby waiting for the next treat.

We nerds have our own humor. I think DDW was referring to the GPS on his phone.

14 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Very practical.

Yes, I get the impression Mr Lucky is experienced and pretty much knows the features he wants. Definitely sensible bluewater boats, not floating condo entertainment barges. 

kdh:

Thanks. He was funnin' me. I think we have other GPS devices available but I'm happy to use his. Not sure why O can't do it all with the on board instrumentation. Hard to imagine a function we did not buy! "I'll take four."

I talked to Mr Lucky yesterday. He is very happy and he has yet to sail the boat! He said, "I got everything I asked for." Made me feel pretty damn good. The goal all along was to make him happy. And salvage a little happy out of it for myself. Done!

Mr Lucky reminds me of a customer who had a storm  jib and trysail made early in my sailmaking career. He specified that he wanted chain for the tack pennants, not the usual SS wire. Most everyone chuckled (not to his face). I asked him why. He replied that he wanted to have the tack heights adjustable, so he could put it exactly where he wanted. That was interesting...especially since the customer had been rolled 360 twice in a hurricane in a 39' Neilsen yawl about 15 years earlier...the second time after already being dismasted in the first. 

1 hour ago, kdh said:

We nerds have our own humor. I think DDW was referring to the GPS on his phone.

I think DDW was referring to a satellite tracking device that might allow the rest of us to watch the boat sailing in real time?  Like Yellow Brick: https://www.ybtracking.com/

He has mentioned having one before, used to track his boat being trucked across the USA.  No idea what brand.

12 yacht trackers compared to help you choose the right unit for your voyage
Pip Hare, November 21, 2016
http://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/gear-reviews/12-yacht-trackers-compared-help-choose-right-unit-voyage
http://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/gear-reviews/12-yacht-trackers-compared-help-choose-right-unit-voyage/2

On 9/23/2017 at 2:43 AM, Bob Perry said:

Thanks John. I would agree. There was a lot of pressure on Anthony for the last month. The engine is very quiet and that three blade Gori prop is great. Almost like having brakes. Doesn't seem to be any annoying proip walk.  The boat behaves in reverse.

I suspect that's the keel more than the Gori prop.

I have one of those...it's essentially an auxiliary stern thruster, so long as I want to go in circles to the right while moving backward. On the other hand, it makes snugging up to the dock for starboard tie-ups really easy. It walks like mad. But the over drive is nice.

kdh:

I was thinking about the  GPS monitoring performance and I remembered we were doing that while we sailed. But I was more focused on the instruments. We were comparing readings for SOG against boat speed. Just to keep ourselves honest.

B.J.:

We have no appreciable stern walk at all that I have detected, yet. Boat appears very docile in reverse.

Maybe it's the designer. (yuk yuk)

4 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

I talked to Mr Lucky yesterday. He is very happy and he has yet to sail the boat! He said, "I got everything I asked for." Made me feel pretty damn good. The goal all along was to make him happy. And salvage a little happy out of it for myself. Done!

There is nothing more satisfying than happy clients and good friends. If not for those, I'd live in a tent in the woods and forage.

I actually typed out a question about how you felt but it sounded sappy so I never posted. That's definitely a big project you and Betts are pulling off. He and his team certainly are earning a feather in their caps.