• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bob Perry

My newest project

I really like the fact you worked in sea chests.
Very practical.
The owner must be a very experienced and interesting sailor.
I see nice doors going aft. They aren't watertight are they? (I don's see 6 dogs....) but they are certainly fire tight.

10 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Very practical.
I see nice doors going aft. They aren't watertight are they? (I don's see 6 dogs....) but they are certainly fire tight.

I think they lead to the reactor compartment.

Fast:

We call the "watertight doors" but I'm not sure they truly are. They are better than just doors. They are gasketed with very stout (and expensive) dogs.

2 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Will:

Next time out I'll take a notebook and get some real numbers.

Take a satellite tracker. I'll be there Tuesday and lend you mine if you like. 

John:

Thanks.

Not sure when we are going out.

Not sure I can work a satellite tracker. The instruments are working very well. But I'm open to your idea.

We have to coordinate the next sail with Jack Christiansen from North. He's been non committal on the day.

I'll PM you when I know what day we are going out. I could be there Tuesday just for a get together.

I just sit at the shack, "Are we going sailing? Are we?" Are we huh?" Like Ruby waiting for the next treat.

14 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Very practical.

Yes, I get the impression Mr Lucky is experienced and pretty much knows the features he wants. Definitely sensible bluewater boats, not floating condo entertainment barges. 

kdh:

Thanks. He was funnin' me. I think we have other GPS devices available but I'm happy to use his. Not sure why O can't do it all with the on board instrumentation. Hard to imagine a function we did not buy! "I'll take four."

I talked to Mr Lucky yesterday. He is very happy and he has yet to sail the boat! He said, "I got everything I asked for." Made me feel pretty damn good. The goal all along was to make him happy. And salvage a little happy out of it for myself. Done!

Mr Lucky reminds me of a customer who had a storm  jib and trysail made early in my sailmaking career. He specified that he wanted chain for the tack pennants, not the usual SS wire. Most everyone chuckled (not to his face). I asked him why. He replied that he wanted to have the tack heights adjustable, so he could put it exactly where he wanted. That was interesting...especially since the customer had been rolled 360 twice in a hurricane in a 39' Neilsen yawl about 15 years earlier...the second time after already being dismasted in the first. 

1 hour ago, kdh said:

We nerds have our own humor. I think DDW was referring to the GPS on his phone.

I think DDW was referring to a satellite tracking device that might allow the rest of us to watch the boat sailing in real time?  Like Yellow Brick: https://www.ybtracking.com/

He has mentioned having one before, used to track his boat being trucked across the USA.  No idea what brand.

12 yacht trackers compared to help you choose the right unit for your voyage
Pip Hare, November 21, 2016
http://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/gear-reviews/12-yacht-trackers-compared-help-choose-right-unit-voyage
http://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/gear-reviews/12-yacht-trackers-compared-help-choose-right-unit-voyage/2

On 9/23/2017 at 2:43 AM, Bob Perry said:

Thanks John. I would agree. There was a lot of pressure on Anthony for the last month. The engine is very quiet and that three blade Gori prop is great. Almost like having brakes. Doesn't seem to be any annoying proip walk.  The boat behaves in reverse.

I suspect that's the keel more than the Gori prop.

I have one of those...it's essentially an auxiliary stern thruster, so long as I want to go in circles to the right while moving backward. On the other hand, it makes snugging up to the dock for starboard tie-ups really easy. It walks like mad. But the over drive is nice.

kdh:

I was thinking about the  GPS monitoring performance and I remembered we were doing that while we sailed. But I was more focused on the instruments. We were comparing readings for SOG against boat speed. Just to keep ourselves honest.

B.J.:

We have no appreciable stern walk at all that I have detected, yet. Boat appears very docile in reverse.

Maybe it's the designer. (yuk yuk)

4 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

I talked to Mr Lucky yesterday. He is very happy and he has yet to sail the boat! He said, "I got everything I asked for." Made me feel pretty damn good. The goal all along was to make him happy. And salvage a little happy out of it for myself. Done!

There is nothing more satisfying than happy clients and good friends. If not for those, I'd live in a tent in the woods and forage.

I actually typed out a question about how you felt but it sounded sappy so I never posted. That's definitely a big project you and Betts are pulling off. He and his team certainly are earning a feather in their caps.

Austin:

Right now I feel good about the project but I'm still waiting to sail the boat in better conditions before getting all giddy about it. We will have a chase boat the next time we go out so we can get some sailing shots of the boat.

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Austin:

Right now I feel good about the project but I'm still waiting to sail the boat in better conditions before getting all giddy about it. We will have a chase boat the next time we go out so we can get some sailing shots of the boat.

Your caution is no doubt reasonable, but most of us in the peanut gallery would be willing to load a couple hundred pounds of provisions and set sail for the South seas tomorrow.

20 hours ago, kdh said:

We nerds have our own humor. I think DDW was referring to the GPS on his phone.

I have an inReach satellite tracker. It transmits position, speed, course, etc to the Iridium constellation periodically. Here is an example (click on any dot and then "more"). Better data can be had from the on board instruments, in the form of a .kml track file out of the navigation plotter. It is better because you can have a position record every few seconds - that let's you analyze tacking angles, speeds, etc. with a little math. 

The problem with the Gomes channel and environs is the data will be polluted by currents and wind shifts. 

Let me know when you are sailing - I could act as the chase boat if needed/wanted.

Will do John. The plan is for the owner to bring his power skiff over for a chase boat next time we go out. As far as I know. As log as I am using the onboard instrumentation I will have a "comfort zone" with the results. I have experience with on board readings.  I'd hate to get bogged down in conflicting data.

SemI;

When we got back to the dock after our first sail I wanted everyone to just sit tight while I ran to the supermarket and loaded up with enough food for Tahiti!

I was ready to go.

6 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

Austin:

These days can't you just take a drone with you? Could get shots from all angles and no one has to be banished to the launch.

nroose:

Right now it's all about priorities. Number one priority is to fully test the boat. I can get all the data I need right now with a windex and a speedo. VMG would be nice too.  I'm sure when things settle down we will get some drone shots.

9 hours ago, DDW said:

I have an inReach satellite tracker. It transmits position, speed, course, etc to the Iridium constellation periodically. Here is an example (click on any dot and then "more"). Better data can be had from the on board instruments, in the form of a .kml track file out of the navigation plotter. It is better because you can have a position record every few seconds - that let's you analyze tacking angles, speeds, etc. with a little math. 

The problem with the Gomes channel and environs is the data will be polluted by currents and wind shifts. 

Let me know when you are sailing - I could act as the chase boat if needed/wanted.

inReach "everyone knows what you're doing" tracker? What kind of humorous nerd are you? :)

On 9/23/2017 at 4:06 PM, Bob Perry said:

kdh:

I was thinking about the  GPS monitoring performance and I remembered we were doing that while we sailed. But I was more focused on the instruments. We were comparing readings for SOG against boat speed. Just to keep ourselves honest.

B.J.:

We have no appreciable stern walk at all that I have detected, yet. Boat appears very docile in reverse.

Maybe it's the designer. (yuk yuk)

Ever used RaceQ's? It's free, you can use the gps from your phone, don't need cell service, and you get some pretty good analytics. You can display it live(with cell), or just upload it when your done and rewatch everything. I've used it to help get some base numbers on old 1/4 tonners and a Proa where we didn't  have much data to start with. 

6 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

nroose:

Right now it's all about priorities. Number one priority is to fully test the boat. I can get all the data I need right now with a windex and a speedo. VMG would be nice too.  I'm sure when things settle down we will get some drone shots.

Better get out there before the weather turns. You don't want to be wearing a Speedo when it's snowing.

9 hours ago, JoeBleaux said:

Ever used RaceQ's? It's free, you can use the gps from your phone, don't need cell service, and you get some pretty good analytics. You can display it live(with cell), or just upload it when your done and rewatch everything. I've used it to help get some base numbers on old 1/4 tonners and a Proa where we didn't  have much data to start with. 

I've used a couple of times. It works, but it's not better than the track from my own GPS. 

15 hours ago, kdh said:

inReach "everyone knows what you're doing" tracker? What kind of humorous nerd are you? :)

On the other hand I don't even have a Facebook account :) .

3 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

I've used a couple of times. It works, but it's not better than the track from my own GPS. 

I think you can also import a gpx track from your gps into raceq's. 

24 minutes ago, DDW said:

On the other hand I don't even have a Facebook account :)

That I can help you with John. But somehow I don't see you as the FB type. Do you like weird animal videos?

8 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

That I can help you with John. But somehow I don't see you as the FB type. Do you like weird animal videos?

How about gladiator movies?

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

We got it covered

IMG_5796.JPG

I think I would really like that poster if only I understood it.  Or is the point that there is no point in a sort of Dada way?

Nice selections guys. I'm still in a bit of a classical mood, so begging BPerry's indulgence in his thread...

This is a local musician friend of mine. College professor.  He sometimes plays local bars and pubs, especially if you pick up his beer tab. One time he borrowed my resonator guitar and blew everyone's mind playing Bach on it. Oh, he also went to Julliard, has a PhD, and has played for Pres Obama and the Pope. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv4grv1T4Os

(Voodoo Child) -- Guitar?  What guitar?

Seriously, I liked her tone, but thought her rhythm was a bit shaky.  Of course she is still 100x the guitar player that I am, but I *am* a damn good critic.

And there's nothing wrong with effects and pedals.  A piano has pedals.  Great rock guitarists play their amps as much as they play their guitars.  Please don't take away Jimi's wah-wah!

Of course it's all a matter of taste.  A few "top" guitarists dial up a signature tone that I just don't like.  I generally don't like Clapton's tone, but I think it's more the guitar and hands than any effects (I could be wrong).  And some players just crank on the effects, apparently to hide the fact they they really can't play.  They suck.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Talent is a remarkable thing.

I could play the guitar 8 hours a day for the rest of my life and not be 10% as skilled as that little girl.

Here's a lil sumthin by the guy sitting on the left on the stairs with just a mic in hand in the Skaggs video that Bob posted. This what he does when he's messin around with a couple of old friends 

8 minutes ago, valis said:

(Voodoo Child) -- Guitar?  What guitar?

Seriously, I liked her tone, but thought her rhythm was a bit shaky.  Of course she is still 100x the guitar player that I am, but I *am* a damn good critic.

And there's nothing wrong with effects and pedals.  A piano has pedals.  Great rock guitarists play their amps as much as they play their guitars.  Please don't take away Jimi's wah-wah!

Of course it's all a matter of taste.  A few "top" guitarists dial up a signature tone that I just don't like.  I generally don't like Clapton's tone, but I think it's more the guitar and hands than any effects (I could be wrong).  And some players just crank on the effects, apparently to hide the fact they they really can't play.  They suck.

I generally agree with your Clapton tone problem.  But he abandened that crap and nailed great tone in Back to the Cradle.

As for playing amps--nothing wrong with milking glowing tubes!  But artificially inducing gain or square waves is not my thing.  Or chorus or phaser or....  Wah?  A foot controlled tone pot?  no prob

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Talent is a remarkable thing.

I could play the guitar 8 hours a day for the rest of my life and not be 10% as skilled as that little girl.

LOL, was that the intro to Roundabout?

My lady friend Christie. She's amazing. She learned guitar in same Jr. High and HS class as Ben I posted above. But she stopped classical guitar to learn jazz and rock. Then she met a guy from PNW vacationing here who taught her finger-tapping. So that got her reintroducing classical elements in her music. She just won the 2017 International Fingerstyle Championship. This song she played for the final was the first finger tapping song she wrote:

1 hour ago, fufkin said:

time to get a little more serious about musical thread drift

31 minutes ago, Whisper said:

No feel, no dynamics, lousy tone.

Nice pair, though.

Ok last one... only because I post a nice (looking) Hendrix cover and all you guys can come up with is some talk about tone or something like that. Here's a lil starter kit sampler for one of the top gunslingers walking the planet right NOW. He sold out Royal Albert Hall by the time he was 30 and ain't much older than that today. Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Bob Perry said:

Three voices and a guitar. Nowhere to hide.

Love those CSN harmonies. Funny...I've been going back and rediscovering Steven Stills...turning a friend on to him. Mostly digging the hugely overlooked Manassass band with Chris Hillman. I guess no surprise they were overlooked, only together 2 years. But some great material.

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

Love those CSN harmonies. Funny...I've been going back and rediscovering Steven Stills...turning a friend on to him. Mostly digging the hugely overlooked Manassass band with Chris Hillman. I guess no surprise they were overlooked, only together 2 years. But some great material.

I have a confession of Steven Stills regrets.  It's been bugging me for 24 years.

In the late 80's and well into the 90's, I used to hang out with Buddy Guy a lot.  I'd be in Chicago for business and we'd drink all night talking music, guitars, and food.  I'd get to my hotel at 4 am, and be in meetings by 8.  I was young and could do that.

So in 1993 (I think), Buddy was playing the Roxy in LA.  I left Japan a day earlier than scheduled (boring meetings) so I could make it to the show with the other guitar player in my blues band.  I drove straight from LAX to the show, and didn't see my wife or 3-year-old daughter until the next day.  Yeah, music was pretty important back then.

Buddy put on a good show and my buddy Steve and I were milling around the empty venue waiting for our cue go back stage.  There was a third person there.  Steven Stills.

He seemed lonely.  He kept approaching us and trying to strike up a conversation.  We kept turning the shoulder and continuing our private conversation.  He was irrelevant to me at the time--and that showed my ignorance of his great contributions to music.  I wasn't into anything he did since Buffalo Springfield--and in 1993 I probably didn't even know that was him.  CSN was boring to me in the 70's world of Ted Nugent and Aerosmith.

So there we were, snubbing the great Steven Stills for about 45 minutes.  He was eager to talk and we could have learned shitloads.  Hell, we could have made a new friend.  I regret that.

Dumass kids we were (at 33).

35 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I have a confession of Steven Stills regrets.  It's been bugging me for 24 years.

In the late 80's and well into the 90's, I used to hang out with Buddy Guy a lot.  I'd be in Chicago for business and we'd drink all night talking music, guitars, and food.  I'd get to my hotel at 4 am, and be in meetings by 8.  I was young and could do that.

So in 1993 (I think), Buddy was playing the Roxy in LA.  I left Japan a day earlier than scheduled (boring meetings) so I could make it to the show with the other guitar player in my blues band.  I drove straight from LAX to the show, and didn't see my wife or 3-year-old daughter until the next day.  Yeah, music was pretty important back then.

Buddy put on a good show and my buddy Steve and I were milling around the empty venue waiting for our cue go back stage.  There was a third person there.  Steven Stills.

He seemed lonely.  He kept approaching us and trying to strike up a conversation.  We kept turning the shoulder and continuing our private conversation.  He was irrelevant to me at the time--and that showed my ignorance of his great contributions to music.  I wasn't into anything he did since Buffalo Springfield--and in 1993 I probably didn't even know that was him.  CSN was boring to me in the 70's world of Ted Nugent and Aerosmith.

So there we were, snubbing the great Steven Stills for about 45 minutes.  He was eager to talk and we could have learned shitloads.  Hell, we could have made a new friend.  I regret that.

Dumass kids we were (at 33).

Great story. Yea, don't know what stars you might bump in to. 

Funny story... I took a bass playing chick to see the Return To Forever reunion tour, chick Corea, Stanley Clarke,  Lenny White, Al DiMeola. She is a jazz and funk nut...late 20s at the time. RTF was 10 years before she was born.  Third row seats. So, after we located our seats we went outside patio for a smoke and drinks. I finished my smoke quickly, and went and got in line for drinks while she finished her cig. My back was to her, but over my shoulder I could see she was chatting with a couple guys...didn't look close or think much about it. I got our drinks, walked back, and asked her who the guys were (she knows ALL the local musicians).  She said she didn't know them, they just came up and bummed a couple smokes from her and chatted briefly. Just some guys.  So, we get back to our seats, lights go down, band comes out, and she grabs my arm and says "that's them!". I'm like "who?". She says "the guys I was smoking with!". It was Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke. Of course I gave her shit for quite a while for not recognizing Stanley Clarke, her being a bass player.

Another quick story...older woman musician in the area (back in the 80s we thought she'd hit the big time, but she was a singer/songwriter, and it was the hair band era) grew up in Chicago. Half block from Muddy Waters house. He hosted big BBQs every weekend when he wasn't touring. She was a little girl, like 8 or 9, hung out there all the time. Story she tells is that one time there was this guy hanging out by himself, long hair, just sitting in the corner playing guitar. She sat down next to him, listened to him play, and told him he played blues pretty well for a white guy. It was Eric Clapton.

edit: found this vid clip of her from 25 years ago. Wow, memories. The drummer is her husband, he toured with Roger McGuinn. Bass player was a friend of mine, he just died of cancer.  Don't know lead guitarist. Emcee I know well, he's the program director at a local radio station. I do some recording work for them from time to time. My college roommate was chairman of the Board of Directors there about 8-10 years ago.

hang on, bad link.

Muscle Shoals music segments from the Documentary Channel's "TVA: Built for the People."

So Muscle Shoals had multi-track recording technology and bass player David Hood, thanks to the prosperity and tech spin-off from the TVA?  Who knew?

The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) is a federally owned corporation in the United States created by congressional charter on May 18, 1933 to provide navigation, flood control, electricity generation, fertilizer manufacturing, and economic development to the Tennessee Valley, a region particularly affected by the Great Depression. The enterprise was a result of the efforts of Senator George W. Norris of Nebraska. TVA was envisioned not only as a provider, but also as a regional economic development agency that would use federal experts and electricity to rapidly modernize the region's economy and society.
  -- Wikipedia

P.S.

12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

More just that...

Kinda thought it was dada

IMG_5800.JPG

A boy says to his mom, "I want to play drums when I grow up!"

"Oh honey," his mom says, "You can't do both."

11 hours ago, RKoch said:

My lady friend Christie. She's amazing. She learned guitar in same Jr. High and HS class as Ben I posted above. But she stopped classical guitar to learn jazz and rock. Then she met a guy from PNW vacationing here who taught her finger-tapping. So that got her reintroducing classical elements in her music. She just won the 2017 International Fingerstyle Championship. This song she played for the final was the first finger tapping song she wrote:

Wow..... 

12 hours ago, fufkin said:

Ok last one... only because I post a nice (looking) Hendrix cover and all you guys can come up with is some talk about tone or something like that. Here's a lil starter kit sampler for one of the top gunslingers walking the planet right NOW. He sold out Royal Albert Hall by the time he was 30 and ain't much older than that today. Enjoy.

At 0:28 his riff and tone remind me of Eric Johnson (on his "Ah Via Musicom" album).  Johnson is another player who has (or had?) a signature tone that I just don't like.  Johnson would talk about needing Duracell brand 9V batteries in his stompboxes, because he preferred the tone they gave him compared to Everready brand batteries (apparently this story has grown in the telling over the years).  Anyway, tone is a big deal for him, but I always found his tone to lack "edge" to the point where I couldn't hear the attack or any nuance.  For me the stompboxes ruin his tone.  I haven't followed him since I saw him open for a Satriani concert decades ago, so perhaps his tone (or my ears) have changed now.

But Bonamassa definitely has tone and style to spare.  He can certainly set the neck on fire with his fingering, but he can also play some beautiful melodic stuff.  I have his "Blues Deluxe" and "Don't Explain" (with Beth Hart on vocals) albums on heavy rotation.

Jeff Beck remains my favorite guitar player.

46 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Here's Edward Van Halen talking about tone while plugging his latest amp. 

Now, this is more my style. :)   I actually built a Frakenstraat and can play most of the early Van Halen stuff on my guitar.  lol.

3262_93917704250_6871578_n.jpg?oh=66288f

3262_93917694250_6638176_n.jpg?oh=65c166

3262_93917699250_3755563_n.jpg?oh=2e9a17

My guitar guy built the originals other than the bumble bee that was buried with Dimebag Daryl. Yours looks pretty damn close. I do well playing the old stuff myself, it helped me figure out a bunch of different styles quickly once I got the hang of his musical ideas.

Pursuing the "brown sound" has been a passion of mine. ;)   I got the variac, marshals and tried my best to replicate his rig from 1978 era.  Sounds damn close. :)

40 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Pursuing the "brown sound" has been a passion of mine. ;)   I got the variac, marshals and tried my best to replicate his rig from 1978 era.  Sounds damn close. :)

Don't you have to bypass the volume pot on the guitar and wire the pickups straight into the jack?

If it says Fender on it I plug into it and play. I have two pedals, both given to me. Never have used either one. I have no desire to sound like anyone else. It's hard enough to sound like me! I do have a pedal I bought for my bass when I was playing in the church band. It's called an Aural Exciter. Never could figure out what it did. I bought it because I liked the name. Seemed to fit in with the churchy theme.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

But not the "brown note", I hope. 

Anybody need amp tools?  I sold the amps but still have the variac, oscilliscope, signal generator, dummy load resistors, a box of NOS filter caps, etc.  Probably NOS tubes.  They're still in California.

I've posted more photos of my basses (some previously posted in the Catari thread), over in the GA "Musical Anarchists" thread: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/190175-musical-anarchists-thread/&do=findComment&comment=5931994

I was going to post here, but I would much rather see a new report from Bob about the carbon cruisers.

My flavor of the month. My buddy Jeff bought that Squire amp for $10 at a yard sale. In the lower right is one of the pedals I never use. Too damn complicated.

OK, here's my Carvin 5-string:

5-string.jpg

It was pretty cheesy when I bought it used, especially that "Headstock of Death", but I think it now qualifies as retro-cool.  This is a neck-through bass, with great action and sustain.  The pickups are crap though.  I recently put flatwounds on it because I wanted that low-B and a smooth sound for a song we ended up not playing

53 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Anybody need amp tools?  I sold the amps but still have the variac, oscilliscope, signal generator, dummy load resistors, a box of NOS filter caps, etc.  Probably NOS tubes.  They're still in California.

Hell yeah! PM me if you're serious about unloading the variac, signal generator and oscilloscope. No rush, I left my guitar, amp and Rhodes 73 in my house, which has been 10' in the air for the past month getting raised...

Dont feel alone Bob, I don't touch knobs and switches myself. I play straight through most days and a Fender amp doesn't need any help!

19 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

I'd like to try that sometime Valis.

Well let's play some music!  The string spacing on the 5-string is enough different from my J-bass that it takes me a bit of practice to get comfortable.  I can't easily switch back and forth.

Here are some boat-related instruments that I cherish:

This one is a $100 guitar that I bought in Hawaii.  We were about to head for Friday Harbor, and our crew had brought two ukuleles on board.  I made a last-minute run to a music store in Kaneohe and picked out a cheap used guitar.  Damn, we had some good sunset jam sessions!  It's not a great guitar, and of course I'm not a great player but when I play it some very fond memories of a wonderful passage come streaming back...

guitar 1.jpg

This one is a balalaika that was a gift from a Finnish relative.  It's boat-related because of the chines:

balalaika 1.jpg

balalaika 2.jpg

4 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Don't you have to bypass the volume pot on the guitar and wire the pickups straight into the jack?

Here is the wiring diagram.

original_wiring_WEB.jpg

The tone was bypassed, and the neck pickup wasn't connected at all.

My teen years were in the 80s, so as you can imagine, its all about the 80s rock/metal bands.  Here is my other ax that I love dearly.  Used to play in a crappy hair metal band back in the day, and was some of the best times I can barely remember.

Its a 1986 Jackson Charvel Model 4.

21766830_10156737166674251_6945020530004