• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Bob Perry

My newest project

13 hours ago, Paul-Romain said:

Are we all done here?

Still waiting to see some pics of the finished interior...

And any group pictures with hull no 2 (and 3 by now?) would be good!

I was wondering how the other hulls are doing too!

fs

11 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Can’t wait. Time to follow you on FB. I still dream of Catari

With the storm damage ND's house project in the BVIs got a lot more complicated.

That’s the part of the dream I don’t like.

Some things become more important.

I’m still rebuilding my home from Superstorm Sandy (Thanks FEMA!) and when people ask how some of my sidelined projects are going, I tell them to have patience. Plastic, metal and wood wait more patiently than enthusiastic fans of beautiful boats.

Luckily I have an understanding wife, so when I disappear for the day, she knows I’m working on one and not in a bar drinking

Went to the yard Thursday and took these pics of the drop leaf table for the carbon cutter No. 1. It's solid teak and cored carbon. It is beautiful, as nice a DL table as I have ever seen. There is a trip wire that runs around the perimeter of the leaf to release it to lower. That was Steve's work as was the rest of the table. The design is mine.

38664641195_1ed9314bf8_z.jpg001 by robert perry, on Flickr

38664696445_5898a9e34c_k.jpg003 by robert perry, on Flickr

38851976054_36db911b43_k.jpg005 by robert perry, on Flickr

• Like 2

That's a beauty Bob.  Unfortunately, the table alone is probably isn't within my budget, let alone one of the cutters.

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

^ if you have to ask.......

That table is gorgeous. I have a forecast though. Bare carbon fiber has become all the rage. Ferrari owners go nuts over it, want it everywhere they can put it.

Give it 5 or 10 years. People will say, "bare carbon fiber, so 2010s--needs an update."

The carbon fiber mast and boom on my early 80s designed boat are painted. The overhead is Formica--dated, of course, but even in 2005 it was the most practical material.

Keith:

There is a skilled model maker on FB who has been building a model of QUAIL. It's a full model. He's about 95% done with hull and deck. It looks great. He loves the design and asked me if he could have drawings to build the model. Why not?

You should check it out. Not sure what he'll do with it when its done.

5 minutes ago, kdh said:

That table is gorgeous. I have a forecast though. Bare carbon fiber has become all the rage. Ferrari owners go nuts over it, want it everywhere they can put it.

Give it 5 or 10 years. People will say, "bare carbon fiber, so 2010s--needs an update."

The carbon fiber mast and boom on my early 80s designed boat is painted. The overhead is Formica--dated, of course, but even in 2005 it was the most practical material.

In all fairness to Formica, it's come a long way since I remember it in the '50s/'60s.

We had this very pattern on the kitchen counter tops at my parents house, except a little less hideous color.

Formica.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Keith:

There is a skilled model maker on FB who has been building a model of QUAIL. It's a full model. He's about 95% done with hull and deck. It looks great. He loves the design and asked me if he could have drawings to build the model. Why not?

Peter is very skilled indeed.  His models are gorgeous.  

Bob, maybe you could talk Peter into coming here and posting his work. I'm sure many here would be interested.

14 minutes ago, kdh said:

The carbon fiber mast and boom on my early 80s designed boat are painted. The overhead is Formica--dated, of course, but even in 2005 it was the most practical material.

The carbon can always be painted. A nice faux woodgrain would look nice. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Keith:

Bob, I heard of that effort. I can only say "I'm sorry" for not building Quail full scale (yet). As you've eloquently described I like my current boat. And my family are disposed to leaving our money to charity rather than to building stuff we see as limited in its relative utility as a percent of the monetary outlay involved. But who knows, our perspective might become more like your four-carbon-cutters client's.

I'd love to have that model, or a copy.

Ed:

I remember the little formica boomerangs.

I think Peter gets a ton of response on FB. He keeps quite busy. Maybe I'll get some of his pics posted here.

Hull No. 2 of the cutters is being readied for painting and is not very photogenic at this stage. Lots of plastic sheeting in place.

Hull No. 3 is still upside down, interior structure installed and waiting for a space to open up.

Hull No. 4 has yet to be begun.

I'll post interior photos when they have some cushions on the boat. You may want to keep a weather eye on FB. I post frequently there.

Biggest news is that with No 2 we are going all Lithium batteries.

10 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Hull No. 2 of the cutters is being readied for painting and is not very photogenic at this stage. Lots of plastic sheeting in place.

Hull No. 3 is still upside down, interior structure installed and waiting for a space to open up.

Hull No. 4 has yet to be begun.

I'll post interior photos when they have some cushions on the boat. You may want to keep a weather eye on FB. I post frequently there.

Biggest news is that with No 2 we are going all Lithium batteries.

I'm sure many of us would like to know the lithium-battery details, Bob. Mastervolt?

I'm thinking the model would look great sitting on top of the piano I have in the office.

Best way to find out the battery system details is to buy a Perry/Betts boat. Can't just give away all the hard work. This is far from an "off the shelf" system.

• Like 2

Happy New Year Bob!

Thanks for the update...  The DL Table looks great!

fs

On 1/5/2018 at 4:10 AM, py26129 said:

That reminded me of a video of a Maersk container ship flexing in rough weather.  Pretty impressive,.  That comments at the end of the vid pretty much sum it up 

Cool video, steel was such a great invention!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 10:10 PM, py26129 said:

That reminded me of a video of a Maersk container ship flexing in rough weather.  Pretty impressive,.  That comments at the end of the vid pretty much sum it up 

Thanks for posting that video.  Got a daughter at USNA who is a Mech E and hating life. Especially hated materials class last semester.  Got to send her thisvideo and say "this is why that stuff you learned in materials class matters to keeping folks alive and ships afloat."  Given its her 21st I am guess I get a response along the lines of "that is so last semester" or "Ohhhh my aching head... shut up with that materials crap!"  LOL it will still be fun to tweak her with it.  Tx!

On 1/7/2018 at 6:14 PM, Bob Perry said:

I'm thinking the model would look great sitting on top of the piano I have in the office.

Best way to find out the battery system details is to buy a Perry/Betts boat. Can't just give away all the hard work. This is far from an "off the shelf" system.

Bob, most practical lithium systems seem to be far from off the shelf, at least for now. The charge and storage methods are vastly different from lead acid systems. Stan Honey has a great guide on-line.

http://honeynav.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/LFP-battery-Stan-Honey-notes.pdf

• Like 1

kdh:

The Betts crew has been looking at Honey's work.

They were a couple of hours away from having the mock up system up and running today but I did not stay. Jim seemed fine with me taking photos of the system as it's all laid out nicely on a table in the shop. He just wants me to hold off posting any pics until they know it works. I'll get something next week.

4 hours ago, kdh said:

Hi kdh ,

Thank-you for that link , lead me to Stan's blog which is a fun read pack full of info .

Stan Honey and Sally Lindsay Honey's files

possibly useful stuff from Sally and Stan

We asked our Naval Architect friends why SS is commonly used for chainplates when bronze is stronger, lasts forever, and the extra cost isn’t significant given the labor.  The answer was that sailors like things to be shiny. 

On 1/10/2018 at 9:56 AM, Wess said:

Thanks for posting that video.  Got a daughter at USNA who is a Mech E and hating life. Especially hated materials class last semester.  Got to send her thisvideo and say "this is why that stuff you learned in materials class matters to keeping folks alive and ships afloat."  Given its her 21st I am guess I get a response along the lines of "that is so last semester" or "Ohhhh my aching head... shut up with that materials crap!"  LOL it will still be fun to tweak her with it.  Tx!

My mentor was a chief mate on Cities Service tankers. A long time ago. The old fashioned ones--T2 etc with a bridgedeck, and a catwalk going aft to the accomodations block and fwd to the f'csl'e.

When they got in bad weather, they would back it off when the catwalk started to hit the bhd where there was normally a gap.

On 1/7/2018 at 4:08 PM, Ed Lada said:

In all fairness to Formica, it's come a long way since I remember it in the '50s/'60s.

We had this very pattern on the kitchen counter tops at my parents house, except a little less hideous color.

Formica.jpg

That was the pattern at the dry cleaners when I was a kid. Except it was a gray background. I liked how it was worn off where the clothes had slid across it for 2 decades.

8 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

That was the pattern at the dry cleaners when I was a kid. Except it was a gray background. I liked how it was worn off where the clothes had slid across it for 2 decades.

I am pretty sure almost anyone in the US of a certain age has seen that Formica pattern in one color or another.  It must have been one of their best sellers.

Indeed, I don't know about the modern Formica but that the pattern would wear quickly on the old stuff, it didn't need 2 decades of heavy use to do that.

• Like 1