WHK

iRegatta - anyone use it, recommendations?

I have got a good set of Nexus instruments on my J/109 and have successfully transmitted all the NMEA data over Wifi.

(boat speed through water, wind data, GPS data, fast heading compass, roll & pitch, time)

I have paid for the iRegatta app and am playing with it on a Nexus 7 Android tablet. It appears to be a very powerful program.

I'm thinking that this might be a good application for the tactician to have running during races around the cans, some distance races and some windward leeward races. So, what I'd lime to know for those who have successfully used iRegatta .....

How are you using it?

Is the layline function any good?

Is the start line function helpful?

What is a good device someone can keep on the rail (Android in a bag?, rugged device?, iPad, other....)

• Like 1

Good questions. I just bought an iPad and built my own NMEA/wifi/mux and installed iRegatta on the iPad. It all works in limited testing, I have 2 handheld GPS's hooked up to my wifi box and I am getting the GPS data displayed on iRegatta. I already have all my nav instruments, GPS, and VHF all connected on the boat via a Brookehouse mux. The device I built is going to replace the Brookehouse as I built my own for low power consumption, with all 4 channels receiving and sending wifi, it only uses .4 amps.

Agreed it looks pretty good. My naviguesser got a Pebble watch for Xmas. Our idea is he'll be able to get the data on rail from the Pebble watch. I've also got a waterproof housing for the iPad and plan on mounting the tablet on either side of the cockpit bulkhead below the instruments with Velcro so he can grab it if need be on either tack.

I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone has used iRegatta and what they think. For the money, it seems pretty good, so if it's a bust I needed to replace my Kindle anyways so I'm out $12 for the app and the cost of materials for making the wifi gizmo (less than $100) which I will use anyway for iNavx.

For what it's worth, I've emailed the author of the program and he responded within 15 minutes and answered my questions while I was building my transmitter, so he is at least responsive, technically savvy, and a sailor.

I have used it. At the time it basically didn't work for starts so I rewrote the start algorithm for the guy and he put that in and credit me on his update notes. It was still unusable at the time because of the colors on the display. You could not read them in daylight. Based on that I wrote StartLine and have been improving it for several years. My start algorithms are now light years ahead of the one I wrote for iRegatta. I use StartLine in racing and a few other users do as well. One got a podium finish in Cowes Race Week. They credited StartLine with that and sent me a nice Cowes Week hat and a thank you note signed by the crew. iRegatta has since copied some of the UI of StartLine and made other improvements. It is a good app but if you want one for racing I most humbly would assert StartLine is much better. I am not knocking iRegatta as the author helps me and I help him. It is just that my focus is on a high level of racing and his is on a wider audience. The new version of StatLine has a bluetooth interface and can read nmea sentences over bluetooth. There is also a RaceBox you can build that will calibrate your instruments and send back correction values if they can take it. The Race Box can be built for $100 to $200 but is optional. StartLine also has a pebble output of start and waypoint information. You are welcome to try it as long as you give me feedback. StartLine is free but there is a licence required, which is also free. I just finished up a web page to make it easier to get the licence. All you need to do is send me a PM or an email and tell me a tad about what you are trying to do. Assuming it is a fit, I will give you the magic number and you can fill out the application, which has a few questions where you can demonstrate your knowledge along with a bunch of stuff my lawyer made me do :-) You will then get a licence by email within a few seconds. I am not trying to get StartLine out to the world. I am trying to make the best racing app for racing around the marks where there is a community of users who cooperate to make it better. If that is of interest, let me know.

The downside of StartLine is that it is complicated. It takes time to learn it. There is a lot in there. It is not as complicated as Expedition but that is the more the model I am shooting for as opposed to a simple web app that you can buy for $12. And it is Android only.

I should add that if all you want to do is read your instruments on your iPad, then get iRegatta. It does a lot more than that as well. StartLine is more of taking the instruments and making calculations, like what is the current, where it the layline, when should I head up to the start line.

Allen,

Thanks for the info on StartLine. Here is a link to my instruments and network schematic and the NMEA data switch for transferring planned routes and waypoints between chart plotters. It is 90% correct. I still need to add in the Garmin GND10 Black Box that provides a NMEA 2000 to Nexus FDX server and my NMEA 2000 bus connections.

I do want more than just reading instruments on a remote display - I want to have it used to make tactical decisions. The instrument data is a NMEA data stream at 4800 baud from the Nexus server over Wifi. I'll send a PM with my email address.

I used iRegatta on an iPad and I also tried the Pebble watch. It has a bunch of really useful features that work really well when they work. The startline feature is really helpful, but I stopped using it because it's a distracting pain in the ass in the prestart.

The main problem is the TCP connection going down when the phone goes to sleep, or maybe at other times for no reason. Anyway, the MTBF is about 5 minutes, which is perfect for losing the signal right before you really need it 50% of the time. And because it takes some frigging around to get it back, your system-savvy person has to spend time screwing with it before, and sometimes during, the prestart.

That and the iPad is not waterproof without a cover, and is a pain in the ass to read using polarized glasses. Bottom line - great technology, full of promise, not ready for actual deployment without a full time tactician/naviguesser to run it when you need it.

It needs:

1. A stable hardware platform that does not shut off or lose its connection to the instrument data stream

2. A waterproof screen that is daylight readable (e-ink) with polarized glasses

I'm running NKE and I just bought their new Multigraphic with the startline feature. I'll fit that when it shows up and see if that is easier to use for start management. The main reason not to get the Velocitek is that it does not have time to the line, so it's fine for a lightweight dinghy where you can be stopped on the line with a sheet-and-go strategy, but for heavy keelboats what you need to know is the difference between the arrival time and countdown so you know whether to speed up or slow down your approach. The Multigraphic has that, just like iRegatta, which is great. I'll see whether it works in practice.

In settings go to iRegatta, select "auto lock iRegatta"

The phone will no longer go to sleep.

In settings go to iRegatta, select "auto lock iRegatta"

The phone will no longer go to sleep.

I know - but that doesn't stop the phone from puking on the TCP connection. I'm using the DigitalYacht AIS/WLAN box, which has a decent WLAN module in it from a bunch of local guys that were bought by Microchip and incorporated into the WiFLY product line. I did some hacking and upgraded the code base to try to fix the issue with the Apple (went from ad-hoc to server) and that didn't fix it. The bottom line is that the iRegatta seems to shit its pants from time to time - pretty much on 5 minute intervals, which makes it too flaky for primetime when factoring in the inconvenience of waterproofing, futzing around with technology in the prestart and not being able to read the screen anyway with my sunglasses on.

So it seems the app is not reliable on an iPad? Too bad I had high hopes.

I'm messing around with this stuff as a diversion from a winter of hell. I built my transmitter for fun and to play around in the 'duino world. I figured if a $12 app could help with the layline, why not?

We don't seem to have trouble starting, we killed it last season, but with a boat full of geeks it seemed like it might be a fun addition to things to play with. My entire crew are engineers or works in a related field, software, hardware, and electrical, and we have 4 other boat owners other than me on the crew, so there is a lot of interest in the new technologies.

I was planning on adding BlueTooth output to my NMEA box, I have the module, I just have to install it and code it up. I can try Allen's app on my Andriod phone and look at the new Sony waterproof tablet.

Does anyone have the specs for sunlight readability of some of the newer tablets? The Sony Experia 3 or the Samsung Galaxy? Now many nits?

I have trouble seeing the screen on my iPhone in full sunlight, with sunglasses on, and that has limited the use of iRegatta, even though the features seem cool.

low tech solution, you can get sailing polaroids with a small non-polarised view panel to allow reading screens in sunlight ( some will even give you corrective optics on the panel, eg +1.5 or whatever)

One of the main reasons I went with the iPad is that it worked the best with my polarized sunglasses. The Samsung was unreadable, as were many other tablets. The iPad Retina display seemed the best with sunglasses, but in bright sunlight it will be tough to see in the direct sunlight.

used Iregatta on an iPhone as a digital compass for an overnight race and the A2B. I was able to set waypoints and get BTW. Mounted on top of the cabin so you could see the heading withut looking down, No NMEA to wifi on my boat, so I could not use the bells and whistles.

.^^ and it worked and didnt crash? That's good to hear. I'm still going to give it a shot.

Note to B&G.

Triton - countdown timer to a specific time of day would be very useful to those of us doing pursuit starts.

.^^ and it worked and didnt crash? That's good to hear. I'm still going to give it a shot.

Latest update addresses lost TCP connections-

Someone's listening...

Latest update addresses lost TCP connections-

Someone's listening...

Good to hear. I ran it for five days straight, more for a test of my wifi transmitter than iRegatta, but every sporadic check it was up and running. That was with just the GPS attached, as my boat is surrounded by 6 ft of snow and I hope to get aboard sometime before May to do a full system test with the rest of the instruments. Could be July tho with more snow coming...

a little OT, has anyone come across a simple tutorial on iregatta?

What? It's not exactly rocket science. Just press all the buttons and see what it does. If you ever want it to do what it did again, press the same buttons.

Note to B&G.

Triton - countdown timer to a specific time of day would be very useful to those of us doing pursuit starts.

StartLine does that. But if you need a tutorial for iRegatta, don't bother with StartLine. It is very powerful and takes time to learn.

nice sales pitch-This car might be too much for you, son. I almost fell for it but I don't even have a knot meter. I'm fine if my wife doesn't call during the start. ;)

nice sales pitch-This car might be too much for you, son. I almost fell for it but I don't even have a knot meter. I'm fine if my wife doesn't call during the start. ;)

Only problem with that comment is that I am not selling anything. Just telling it like it is. StartLine is free for people who are willing to put the time into it to learn it. Most people try it and vanish. But the few who do take the time to learn have all contributed to making it better and better, which I appreciate, and are getting great results, which they appreciate.

Here is a quote for the latest user from Australia: "Another 2 good starts on Sunday - your app really has made a big difference to our starting!"

And the guy who has been using it the longest (he is the Dutch guy on the J-109) was 6 meters from the line at the gun today. 2 seconds late.

You can't do that with iRegatta as good a program as it is. It just won't help get you to the line at the gun. It is OK at telling you that you will be late or that you are going to be early after you start to head to the line, but not so much help in telling you, ok head up to the line NOW and getting you to the spot on the line where you want to be at the time you want to be there.

But I really don't care if you try it or not.

Allen

Raymarine sentences over NMEA are not a problem. I have a Raymarine GPS on Seatalk bus, with the GPS data sent through the NMEA 0183 output of a C series display. This is combined with sensor data from Nexus NX2 system. The GPS data is read fine on iRegatta along with the sensor data..

The guy I race with is really into iRegatta but it tends to be more of a distraction to him, he spends a lot of time with his head in the iPad instead of steering the proper course. I have yet to see any performance benefit in our race results.

StartLine sounds intriguing...I'm using the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact as my nav plotter/tactician processor (cobbled together a nice articulated RAM mount for it), is it worth learning to use it if the only offboard data I can provide is a bluetooth GPS signal?

The guy I race with is really into iRegatta but it tends to be more of a distraction to him, he spends a lot of time with his head in the iPad instead of steering the proper course. I have yet to see any performance benefit in our race results.

StartLine sounds intriguing...I'm using the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact as my nav plotter/tactician processor (cobbled together a nice articulated RAM mount for it), is it worth learning to use it if the only offboard data I can provide is a bluetooth GPS signal?

We have raced with StartLine with just GPS for a couple of years. I have just added the instruments and to tell the truth we are not seeing a lot of benefit so far from the instruments. But it is early. GPS is the main one you need and you can get all the benefit with just that.

StartLine mainly does three things.

1) Gets you to the starting line at the gun.

2) Points you to the marks and calls laylines

3) Does tactical calculations like the wind angles for the different legs of the race, and some prestart statistics.

The starting line and the marks are fixed on the land so GPS is a pretty good tool. GPS is also very accurate and we are finding out that instruments are not. We need to go out and calibrate but we are talking about days and days to do a good calibration. For the layline calls, you do need to enter the current but who is to say any measured current is correct for the rest of the leg. Also, so far we have found that current as measured needs really accurate calibration on the instruments. There are calculator pages if you have instruments where you can enter your instrument readings and calculate current.

So my answer is that it gets the majority of its benefit from GPS and the algorithms that have been refined over the years.

In terms of keeping your head out of the tablet, that is very important. The display has huge text of high contrast so it is easy to read. Once you set things up, you don't have to touch it until the race is over. It will switch from start mode to waypoint mode and switch at each waypoint as you round. It will even record your finish time. You do have to round the waypoints so if there are waypoints you just pass, you can manually advance. What I found last season was that the talking was helpful. I set it up to tell me the things we wanted to hear when we wanted to hear them and that helps to keep your head out of the thing.

There are a few things I hope the instruments will do for us. Help to call the favored end of the line. Give a boat speed input so the lady will tell me the boat speed as sog is not so useful and that is what I had her call out last year. That really should be water speed so you can stay on target speed. Finally, if I can get the system calibrated, I would like to see the current so I know if I am in it our out of it. We race in a channel on a reach and the transition from current to less current is quick.

An interesting side point about GPS. I am now modifying my RaceBox for use in some small boats for a very specific purpose. I can't go into much detail. But I am working with the some of the biggest names in this stuff and we considered some pretty exotic setups to get wind instruments accurate. We just could not do it and ended up that we are building a pure GPS based system. It is really interesting working with these guys. I am learning a ton. My expertise is on instrumentation and algorithms and I also race a very old sailboat. These guys are world class sailors and they know a lot of stuff I never thought of. I don't think it will flow into StartLine but some of it might, who knows.

Thanks for the info, Allen, sounds promising. I'll download StartLine and give it a go.

Best of luck on your new project.

Use version 5. It works with the RaceBox but works just as well without it and it what I am continuing developing. If you want a license, send me an email. You can run for 15 minutes without it and you can close the program and open it and get another 15 min. It only closes from the main screen so you can try it out just fine without a licence, just don't try and race without one.

Let me know if you have any questions. Questions help improve it.

Im look for options or recommendations for getting NMEA 2000 data to iregatta.

A friend just bought a Madman Marine NTWB1. It was inexpensive compared to the various other Wifi devices available and works with iRegatta using NMEA 0183 interface on TackTick T122. You could use that with the Actisense NGW-1 NMEA 2000 network gateway to go from NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000. I've seen both of these work in different systems, but not in the application you want. No reason to believe that combination won't work. You could also set the NMEA 0183 side at 38.4 kbaud on both devices to prevent any buffer bottlenecks.

I've been using iRegatta since it was released - mainly on keelboats when racing around the cans. I also own a Weta Trimaran which I race single-handed - the Weta is a very wide boat for the length (3.7x 5.5m) and also very wet!

I haven't been using iRegatta hooked up to NMEA data sources so I can't comment on that, but I have been providing feedback to Thomas Paasch (the developer) to improve the usability and readability, and there have been many free updates since I purchased it, including my suggestions.

On larger boats the best solution is to mount your tablet/phone in the shade where it can be seen from the cockpit and have it close to your line of sight. For example on the end of an arm that can be swung into the companionway or mounted on the cabin roof so it can be swivelled down. Then use the Pebble smartwatch to control it and view the output (the Pebble will mirror some displays from iRegatta - e.g. time to start)

On smaller boats or a boat where you can't mount it below, choose a waterproof cover for the tablet/phone which leave the screen uncovered (e.g. Lifeproof Nuud or Dog&Bone Wetsuit). This reduces the reflections from the cover. Also the new iPhone 6 (and 6+) have an improved polarizer so that when the phone is displayed horizontally you can read it wearing polarized sunglasses.

Then mount it to reduce the reflections as much as possible. You can also follow Droid operators who mount the phone inside a black box (with one side removed!) to shield the screen and remove reflections - although this wouldn't work on the Weta as I need to view it from the side. I mount my phone at the foot of the mast using RAM mounts and I find that most of the reflections come from the deck, so I have been using black tape on the deck to reduce this effect. I use the Pebble to control it and this has been a great improvement because it's a long way from sitting on the float to hit a button in the centre of the boat and the Eink display on the Pebble is sunlight readable.

I've also tried using iRegatta on an iPhone mounted on my forearm (using a Lifepoof case in the Lifeproof armband) - while this makes it easier to read I found that it was very easy to accidentally change the settings or screen display when the phone brushed against you. While you can disable input on the iPhone using Guided Access Mode and lock the screen in iRegatta, the phone is still hard to operate with wet fingers and it's difficult to use the phone, look where you're going, trim and steer at the same time.

I've also reviewed some other apps and dedicated hardware here for Weta owners but they may be useful for others too.

If anyone has found other apps (apart from StartLine and iRegatta) which work well I'd be interested to hear about them.

I am working at the moment with a new vendor that makes sunlight resistant displays.

Even at 1000 nits brightness it is crystal clear even in full sunlight with finger smudges all over it.

Current project we are working on is embedding a small PC into the back of a 8" and 10" IP68 display, will update this thread if it comes through testing ok.

Edit: Not trying to sell it, just making all aware what is out there at the moment.

I've been using iRegatta since it was released - mainly on keelboats when racing around the cans. I also own a Weta Trimaran which I race single-handed - the Weta is a very wide boat for the length (3.7x 5.5m) and also very wet!

I haven't been using iRegatta hooked up to NMEA data sources so I can't comment on that, but I have been providing feedback to Thomas Paasch (the developer) to improve the usability and readability, and there have been many free updates since I purchased it, including my suggestions.

On larger boats the best solution is to mount your tablet/phone in the shade where it can be seen from the cockpit and have it close to your line of sight. For example on the end of an arm that can be swung into the companionway or mounted on the cabin roof so it can be swivelled down. Then use the Pebble smartwatch to control it and view the output (the Pebble will mirror some displays from iRegatta - e.g. time to start)

On smaller boats or a boat where you can't mount it below, choose a waterproof cover for the tablet/phone which leave the screen uncovered (e.g. Lifeproof Nuud or Dog&Bone Wetsuit). This reduces the reflections from the cover. Also the new iPhone 6 (and 6+) have an improved polarizer so that when the phone is displayed horizontally you can read it wearing polarized sunglasses.

Then mount it to reduce the reflections as much as possible. You can also follow Droid operators who mount the phone inside a black box (with one side removed!) to shield the screen and remove reflections - although this wouldn't work on the Weta as I need to view it from the side. I mount my phone at the foot of the mast using RAM mounts and I find that most of the reflections come from the deck, so I have been using black tape on the deck to reduce this effect. I use the Pebble to control it and this has been a great improvement because it's a long way from sitting on the float to hit a button in the centre of the boat and the Eink display on the Pebble is sunlight readable.

I've also tried using iRegatta on an iPhone mounted on my forearm (using a Lifepoof case in the Lifeproof armband) - while this makes it easier to read I found that it was very easy to accidentally change the settings or screen display when the phone brushed against you. While you can disable input on the iPhone using Guided Access Mode and lock the screen in iRegatta, the phone is still hard to operate with wet fingers and it's difficult to use the phone, look where you're going, trim and steer at the same time.

I've also reviewed some other apps and dedicated hardware here for Weta owners but they may be useful for others too.

If anyone has found other apps (apart from StartLine and iRegatta) which work well I'd be interested to hear about them.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but looking at iRegatta for mixed fleet racing at my local club on an old Etchells.

The main thing I want it for is distance to startline because we use a mast on shore lined up with the outer mark. The inner mark is only a 'startline width' mark so can be 5 metres either side of the line, depending on the current.

I have a speedpuck that I'm happy with for for speed etc.

I have an iphone 6 and looking at a Lifeproof case and arm band.

Is this the best option? Don't really want to fork out for another speedpuck type instrument with startline feature.

So, to sum up? iRegatta can be handy for racing minimum 4 up, but not quite as useful as a $10 casio watch for dinghy/cat racing, unless coastal? Have had it available to try on my phone, but when racing for fun, just can't bring myself to have to look at my phone. Nice to look around occasionally.

If they brought out an apple watch upgrade, that would be fine too, might make it a useful tool, as the phone can stay in a waterproof box, tucked out of harms way.

I'd disagree with that - because the Weta is wide and quite quick the last thing I want to be doing is squinting at my wrist in the pre-start.

By mounting the phone running iRegatta on the mast I can spend most of my time looking where I'm going and at the other boats while still keeping an eye on the time/distance.
Get a waterproof case and mount you phone near your line of sight. If battery life is an issue, The Lifeproof Fre Power case has a built in battery. Snow Lizard SLXtreme has a built-in battery and solar charger on the back.

So, to sum up? iRegatta can be handy for racing minimum 4 up, but not quite as useful as a $10 casio watch for dinghy/cat racing, unless coastal? Have had it available to try on my phone, but when racing for fun, just can't bring myself to have to look at my phone. Nice to look around occasionally.

If they brought out an apple watch upgrade, that would be fine too, might make it a useful tool, as the phone can stay in a waterproof box, tucked out of harms way.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but looking at iRegatta for mixed fleet racing at my local club on an old Etchells.

The main thing I want it for is distance to startline because we use a mast on shore lined up with the outer mark. The inner mark is only a 'startline width' mark so can be 5 metres either side of the line, depending on the current.

I have a speedpuck that I'm happy with for for speed etc.

I have an iphone 6 and looking at a Lifeproof case and arm band.

Is this the best option? Don't really want to fork out for another speedpuck type instrument with startline feature.

I think iRegatta is ideal for your application and I've used it for fixed startlines as well as laid marks. I used Google Maps to pinpoint the location of the fixed marks and exported the locations as a .KML file then converted to .GPX (using gpsvisualiser.com) and imported into iRegatta.

It will also do all the functions the Speedpuck can do and much more including VMG. I'd suggest either mounting the phone at the front of the cockpit or even better might be tucked under the foredeck to keep the sun off the screen (although I know that area can be pretty crowded on an Etchell and other crew might be in your way), or if you have an iPhone 6+ (and good eyesight or good glasses) then mount it on the mast. I suggest taping it in place with duct tape until you find the best location and then get a mount to suit it. I have attached mine to the mast with a RAM mount ATV roll-bar fitting with a short arm and a universal phone holder which keeps it clear of the Cunningham.

The start indicator gives you distance to line, time to line and a burn/gain indicator. It also overlays the time to line based on your polar diagram either imported or generated by the app.

start_1.png

I should also mention that the trial version of iRegatta is free (it just stops using NMEA data after 3mins) and there are add-ons for both the Apple Watch and Pebble available for in-app purchase.

I'd disagree with that - because the Weta is wide and quite quick the last thing I want to be doing is squinting at my wrist in the pre-start.

By mounting the phone running iRegatta on the mast I can spend most of my time looking where I'm going and at the other boats while still keeping an eye on the time/distance.
Get a waterproof case and mount you phone near your line of sight. If battery life is an issue, The Lifeproof Fre Power case has a built in battery. Snow Lizard SLXtreme has a built-in battery and solar charger on the back.

Last weekend I had a first opportunity to use the ReconJet glasses (http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/jet/) in conjunction with iRegatta:

This is me wearing the glasses, and yes: it was cold!

IMG_1903.JPG

And this is what I saw: (picture from the iRegatta website http://www.zifigo.com/?q=node/652)

IMG_0473.PNG

Yes. It works with our RaceBox but it also works without it. We have hooked it up to TackTick and it really makes that system much more accurate using the RaceBox but if you just want good starts and help getting around the course, GPS based readings are really what you need as the marks don't move with the current. There is a new video series that talks about StartLine. Another one talks about the RaceBox. Look in the forum on L-36.com. Pardon the poor quality of the videos. I am in the process of buying new microphones and learning a pro video editor to do better next time.

There have been just 6 or 7 RaceBoxs made. Two of us have made two so it really isn't that many people but it is growing. StartLine is a very powerful app so a lot of people don't like it because of that. I hear it takes three years to lean Expedition. StartLine is easy by comparison. It is for round the cans racing, not for going to Bermuda.

tried it...and it looks very nice and simple...better than iRegatta in my view.

I just need a better GPS - the one that is built-in in the iPad is totally inadequate for starting line definition (I guess)

I was playing with the free download of the SailRacer app. It creates a log file of your course.

Would anyone know how to view that track? Do you have to upgrade to a paid version to be able to see it?

Thanks in advance.

been using iregatta on an iphone for a couple of years, I got an android tablet just as they dropped support of android.  but now an android version is back. anyone have the current android version and using it?   thoughts?