Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nkb

Banque Populaire and Armel Cleach a new ULTIME Maxi tri

http://www.voile.banquepopulaire.fr/Maxi-Trimaran-Solo-Banque-Populaire-VII/Banque-Populaire-prolonge-son-engagement-dans-la-voile-jusqu-en-2020-10529.html#suite

Announced today that Team Banque Populaire continue their sponsorship of Armel Cleach until 2020. Currently building a new IMOCA (BP VIII) so he can do the Vendée Globe in 2016, they've just sold the 105ft trimaran (that won the 2014 Route du Rhum) and have confirmed they will build a new Maxi trimaran BP IX, to be delivered in 2017 to compete in the ULTIME class and the 2018 Route du Rhum.

Congrats Armel!

I forget, what are the parameters for this "Collective Ultime" again? I read that the aim is to create a RTW race, plus the RdR. Will the TJV be included? Seems like a lot for one sailor and is he giving up the IMOCA after the next VG?

It amazes me how the French are surging ahead with these amazing trimarans while the best the rest of the world can muster is a few diesel powered canters.

It amazes me how the French are surging ahead with these amazing trimarans while the best the rest of the world can muster is a few diesel powered canters.

Because in the rest of the world the trophy the canters race for means more to the people who sign the cheques than a trophy for a multi race. When that changes, they'll all build tri's.

What is the speculation on design developments for a new maxi tri?

Would it be a possibility to try fully foiling the leeward ama??

Because in the rest of the world the trophy the canters race for means more to the people who sign the cheques than a trophy for a multi race. When that changes, they'll all build tri's.

Because more people care about ocean racing in France than care about ocean racing in all the other countries put together...and they demand more than the average billionaire.

Who's getting the old Bank Pop [Groupama] maxi tri then?

The "old" trimaran was bought by Francis Joyon/Idec.

The old idec is sold to the Chinese chuan guo

Correct - Francis will have his paint brush out soon!

Initially , the boat is rented by Renaud Laplanche (CEO of he Lending Club), he will sailing with Ryan Breymaier in the USA for some records : Miami - New York, Newport - Bermudes , Los Angeles - Hawai.

After Francis Joyon will take the trimaran.

Thanks for that info Tikititan, A Lease then Francis! I was having trouble working it out. Great news all round and especially for Ryan. Cheers.

Clean's right and the mainstream depth and quality of French offshore racing sponsors is enough to make me cry while watching similarly sponsored curling here in Canada. I know there are a lot of regional governments and other state entities but there are more and more consumer brands as well. (curling and sailing).

If there's an argument for more equality in society it's that what billionaires want may not actually be that interesting.