Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Presuming Ed

Team Phaedo's new MOD 70.

https://www.facebook.com/yachtingworldmagazine?fref=photo

10378937_790376337712307_395272274032051

Whoa! Look out RORC Caribbean 600 race, your record looks in jeopardy. Gunboat 66 @TeamPhaedo owner Lloyd Thornburg has gone and got himself a new MOD 70 – currently docking in Antigua.

And his rockstar crewlist includes Brian Thompson, Michel Desjoyeaux, Sam Goodchild, and Pete Cumming!

https://www.facebook.com/henrybombysailing

Arrived safely in Antigua on board the epic new Phaedo3! Life changed forever, multihull sailing is the future! And wow what a boat the MOD 70 is. 5 days from the Canaries to Antigua, averaging over 20kts, 500 nm a day. 9 and a half days in total from Port la Foret, France. Great trip with old friends and new, flight straight back this afternoon to crack on with life in the Figaro is a bit painful however! Life sailing around in single digits could be difficult to adjust.. H

10501785_943584942353621_197347563394527

10996760_943584989020283_829202727977648

10991203_943585005686948_517754019569933

10987700_943585592353556_361838438806462

More trust fund kids - yawn. Anarchy it ain't.

i don't have a clue how the owner made his money.., but i imagine that the delivery crew for a boat like that is mostly professional sailors

who cares where the money came from. Guys spending money on boats is awesome. Doesnt matter if its 4 knot shit box or a 70' tri.

More boats make the world a better place

https://www.facebook.com/henrybombysailing

Arrived safely in Antigua on board the epic new Phaedo3! Life changed forever, multihull sailing is the future! And wow what a boat the MOD 70 is. 5 days from the Canaries to Antigua, averaging over 20kts, 500 nm a day. 9 and a half days in total from Port la Foret, France. Great trip with old friends and new, flight straight back this afternoon to crack on with life in the Figaro is a bit painful however! Life sailing around in single digits could be difficult to adjust.. H

10501785_943584942353621_197347563394527

10996760_943584989020283_829202727977648

10991203_943585005686948_517754019569933

10987700_943585592353556_361838438806462

Looks like it was a great trip. Nice to one of the MOD 70's getting another lease of life.

On second thought, I don't have to own one. Team Phaedo. if you would like to send me a pm, I would love to join y'all for a race or even a delivery!

Great to see this MOD 70 design, sailing in new places..... Their awesome.... :D

i don't have a clue how the owner made his money.., but i imagine that the delivery crew for a boat like that is mostly professional sailors

Bankrupt mortgage company that went bust when it was overleveraged in the billions. Several shareholder lawsuits. Yadda yadda yadda.

Looks awesome! They seem like a good bunch from previous vids and interviews and good luck to them. I'm jealous to all fuck. A GB66 and now this?! Fuck yeah!

Someone sounds a little jealous.

Whoever is editing those videos needs to be shot... FFS just show some clean footage without all the annoying jittering effects!

You'd think they could spell "Heineken" correctly <_< or "Saint" for that matter... geez people.

Bankrupt mortgage company that went bust when it was overleveraged in the billions. Several shareholder lawsuits. Yadda yadda yadda.

You don't need to be rich just have unlimited access to other people's money.

At 1/10th the cost of Commanche, 1/5th the crew, and 25% faster Phaedo is a pretty easy choice.

Why do people still sink money into monomarans?

Whoever is editing those videos needs to be shot... FFS just show some clean footage without all the annoying jittering effects!

Yeah death seems like a suitable penalty for video's you don't like the look of. I didn't think it was too bad, maybe just 20 lashes for using that damn song again.

At 1/10th the cost of Commanche, 1/5th the crew, and 25% faster Phaedo is a pretty easy choice.

you have to compare a new build with a new build - what would a new MOD 70 cost ready to sail?

otherwise i mostly agree...,

to me the biggest factor is that phaedo just looks like more fun!

sitting on the rail of Commanche for an afternoon off St Bart's is one thing.., but they are about to do it all the way across the north atlantic!

presumably a big part of the reason they spend the money is that they want to do races like hobart, and bermuda.., so...

you have to compare a new build with a new build - what would a new MOD 70 cost ready to sail?

sitting on the rail of Commanche for an afternoon off St Bart's is one thing.., but they are about to do it all the way across the north atlantic!

presumably a big part of the reason they spend the money is that they want to do races like hobart, and bermuda.., so...

A MOD70 new was 2.25m. I'll bet Lloyd picked his up for barely 7 digits (though he certainly put some cheese into it since). There are 5 others out there languishing if you're shopping...

A MOD can compete just as easily in the Rolex Trans-Atlantic or Sydney or Bermuda race.

A MOD70 new was 2.25m. I'll bet Lloyd picked his up for barely 7 digits (though he certainly put some cheese into it since). There are 5 others out there languishing if you're shopping...

A MOD can compete just as easily in the Rolex Trans-Atlantic or Sydney or Bermuda race.

not allowed in the bermuda race or the hobart race..

They will catch up eventually......

Most of the MOD70's are still in use now and not languishing unused but the circuit is gone. I think this is each boats current status correct me if I'm wrong.

Current MOD70's

Orion racing - MOD #2 being campaigned west coast USA

Foncia - now being campaigned as Phaedo3

Virbac Paprec - now Paprec recyclage was repaired after capsize and campaigned in the Route du Rhum by Yann Elies up for sale I think?

Groupe Edmond de Rothschild - Currently being refitted and upgraded may foil completely if program is successful.

Spindrift - Apparently to be used only for promo work for Spindrift team not sure if fully repaired after capsize.

Oman Air - A full schedule of racing events planned for the upcoming year.

Race for Water - Currently circumnavigating as part of the Race for Water organization drawing attention to plastic waste in the ocean.

I hear Bermuda is changing.

Wasn't there some great discussion about how Sidney to Hobart was getting too expensive? Going to multihulls would seem to be a great way to save money. Go 25% faster at 10% of the cost.

I bet if they are invited for a special event, the French and top league from around the world would attend. Give them the coverage and hype and they will come back. Changing of the guard

Just proves you don't have to be smart to be rich!!!

Most of the MOD70's are still in use now and not languishing unused but the circuit is gone. I think this is each boats current status correct me if I'm wrong.

Current MOD70's

Orion racing - MOD #2 being campaigned west coast USA

Foncia - now being campaigned as Phaedo3

Virbac Paprec - now Paprec recyclage was repaired after capsize and campaigned in the Route du Rhum by Yann Elies up for sale I think?

Groupe Edmond de Rothschild - Currently being refitted and upgraded may foil completely if program is successful.

Spindrift - Apparently to be used only for promo work for Spindrift team not sure if fully repaired after capsize.

Oman Air - A full schedule of racing events planned for the upcoming year.

Race for Water - Currently circumnavigating as part of the Race for Water organization drawing attention to plastic waste in the ocean.

I forgot about the VP and Spindrift capsizes. Any details on the Rothschild program?

100% Agreed. Jim Clark spend 20 mill on a rather conventional, albeit extremely powerfull mono, to "break records". For that cash he could have built a really extraordinary real record breaker multi.

100% Agreed. Jim Clark spend 20 mill on a rather conventional, albeit extremely powerfull mono, to "break records". For that cash he could have built a really extraordinary real record breaker multi.

To make matters worse Commanche seems to be a dud. It lost S-H to WOXI and is barely keeping ahead of Rambler. $30m for an obsolete-when-built monohull must sting. Good for the industry though. Lots of jobs in Maine and lots of sailors getting paid.

It also doesn't help that it still hasn't taken line honors in any race it's participated in (0-4 afaik). If you build with one goal in mind, line honors, you'd better achieve that at least occasionally. Maybe they should beg the RC to send Phaedo on a different course.

To make matters worse Commanche seems to be a dud. It lost S-H to WOXI and is barely keeping ahead of Rambler. $30m for an obsolete-when-built monohull must sting. Good for the industry though. Lots of jobs in Maine and lots of sailors getting paid.

It also doesn't help that it still hasn't taken line honors in any race it's participated in (0-4 afaik). If you build with one goal in mind, line honors, you'd better achieve that at least occasionally. Maybe they should beg the RC to send Phaedo on a different course.

the three of them.., commanche, rambler, and phaedo, are all in the transatlantic race - that's one they will definitely care about.., but it could be as much a test of navigators as boats...

the three of them.., commanche, rambler, and phaedo, are all in the transatlantic race - that's one they will definitely care about.., but it could be as much a test of navigators as boats...

Navigators love a 20% speed advantage... dat's fo sho.

Go the green pickle fork!!

If it was my money, sure, I'd have a 100-140' multihull, but I'm a multihull guy and true line honors matters to me. But it isn't my money.

Can't beat pure monohull records with a multihull. Yes, we all know that mulithulls own the outright round the world records, the outright transat and transpac records etc. Comanche was built to break Ericsson 4's monohull 24 hour distance record of 596.6nm, as well as breaking the monhull transatlantic record, Newport-Bermuda etc. It's proven faster than WOXI on a reaching course, by a fair bit.

Can't beat pure monohull records with a multihull.

Can't win an Opti regatta in a Flying Phantom either.

You know, my Minecraft avatar is Foiling_Optimist.

I really don't understand the philosophical argument behind setting out to break monohull records when the multihull records are dramatically faster. In what way to monohull records matter in the context of whether records matter at all? I would argue records are cool, but only when they're simple and easily understood. Worrying about separate monohull records seems to be in the realm of the hair splittingly trivial. Multis are an obvious and fundamental step forward if you want to truly go fast and anything else is vintage racing. Having said that, I can see why you would be like the WOXI guys and set out to keep winning an important and historical race with a class legal boat you continue to evolve. But Sidney-Hobart can be a glorious anachronism, like the Masters.

a few years ago i navigated a boat on which we were overall winners of a distance race.., under the rating.., which was IRC.

so, they had a trophy for us, obviously.., and they had a line honors trophy - ok.., whatever.., but they also had a trophy for the navigator of the line honors boat!

nothing for the navigator of the overall winner!

that boat was nearly twice as big as ours.

oh well...

Soma

Sit down and take a deep breath, you're starting to like the anti multhull posters in the S/H threads. :)

I really don't understand the philosophical argument behind setting out to break monohull records when the multihull records are dramatically faster. In what way to monohull records matter in the context of whether records matter at all? I would argue records are cool, but only when they're simple and easily understood. Worrying about separate monohull records seems to be in the realm of the hair splittingly trivial. Multis are an obvious and fundamental step forward if you want to truly go fast and anything else is vintage racing.

Think of it like separate events for men and women...? But yeah, when you have a choice, why bother with a slower, more expensive boat that requires a much larger crew.

Be interesting to watch, but its going to be very hard to draw anything meaningfull from the result of that race.

Unless we see some great weather and they stay in contact the whole way across sailing in the same weather.

Anyone that spends thirty million to build a boat then fits it with a massive piece of lead to keep it upright needs his head read 😉

You know, my Minecraft avatar is Foiling_Optimist.

I really don't understand the philosophical argument behind setting out to break monohull records when the multihull records are dramatically faster. In what way to monohull records matter in the context of whether records matter at all? I would argue records are cool, but only when they're simple and easily understood. Worrying about separate monohull records seems to be in the realm of the hair splittingly trivial. Multis are an obvious and fundamental step forward if you want to truly go fast and anything else is vintage racing. Having said that, I can see why you would be like the WOXI guys and set out to keep winning an important and historical race with a class legal boat you continue to evolve. But Sidney-Hobart can be a glorious anachronism, like the Masters.

Generally agree. I'm not one to give a flying crap about winning by rating. I only care about line honors. That said, however, and where I differ from you, I can get into open development (or box rules) monos racing eachother, and think the victories matter of who wins between monos and who wins between multis, even if in the same race. I'm more interested in the multis . . . . the fastest, but can still get with the monos.

Pretty much nothing compares to what was The Race for all around fascination/intrigue (PLEASE, Bruno, get it together again). The biggest, baddest boats that could be built, not limited by number of crew, racing around the world non-stop. But I also could get with a mono version of it, and I liked the older versions of the VOR, where development was open (I can't give a rat's ass about the current VOR).

So, to me, there is a place for Camanche, and it will hopefully happen more where the top monos race more often, and screw the ratings. But you are right, their record hunts for monos, to me, are Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's perfect,

and you know this multi - mono debate was settled, way back in 1978 by Mike Birch ....... in a little yellow trimaran...... ;)

Groupe Edmond de Rothschild (GitanaXV) is close to launch with it's foiling mods they have been practicing on a GC32 and plan to compete in the circuit and also gain knowledge of the boats handling so they can apply that to Gitana XV. There are some updates and a video on the English version of the site:

http://www.gitana-team.com/en/event.news.aspx?eventid=95&newsid=1108