• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
scooter1369

The VX Evo

Just curious, but would like to see pic of step...me? I would install transom net to keep my refuse from going away...I tend to drop cans and pliers...and pants on occasions.

Price Point is right and BB should do all that is necessary to stay there.

My preliminary comment is that I agree with previous poster that I question using a gnav rather than vang. The gnav creates all sorts of space in a 3 person boat and Im glad the Viper and VX adopted the gnav but IMO (which is obviously less expert than Brian's) it adds uneccesary complications for rig tune etc to a single hander. A vang transfers leech tension directly to the hull rather than via the mast.....a vang is a simpler and purer system that a large single hander could use.

If Brian could tell us a bit more about the foil, that would be great.

Cant wait to sail it.

Not exclusively a single hander by any means.

At least the EVO looks comfortable to hike. The Weta literally has 3" square bar with sharp corners. Not kidding.

Nothing that a cut down 5/8" foam exercise mat can't take care of. Quite comfy, but take it to a Weta thread.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bcg-foam-fitness-mat?repChildCatid=176210

Brian's Evo could have the defined goal of making single handed performance sailing "easy".

...I'm not sure if those two terms will -ever- flow well in a single sentence.

Thank GAWD, the challenge IS the fun! :mellow:

I would buy a boat called a VX Evo. No way would I buy a boat called a Bongo or a Hoot. Maybe when I was 12 years old, but not now.

....yeh,,,wot's in a name!? ...time to think of a more 'border friendly' name,, nothing like crossing the US border with ...

.......a 'vanload of HOOTs'!! :unsure:

Price Point is right and BB should do all that is necessary to stay there.

My preliminary comment is that I agree with previous poster that I question using a gnav rather than vang. The gnav creates all sorts of space in a 3 person boat and Im glad the Viper and VX adopted the gnav but IMO (which is obviously less expert than Brian's) it adds uneccesary complications for rig tune etc to a single hander. A vang transfers leech tension directly to the hull rather than via the mast.....a vang is a simpler and purer system that a large single hander could use.

If Brian could tell us a bit more about the foil, that would be great.

Cant wait to sail it.

I stand corrected on the gnav......Brian has posted on Facebook that the gnav works very well on the Evo. I defer to his wisdom.

Im hoping the design incorporates a nice flexible rig to accomdate a wide range of weight and conditions.....and does not add another set of shrouds. Design the vang/gnav system around the rig, rather than designing a rig around the vang/gnav system.

Any more info on the foil. Earlier posts indicated a lead ballasted daggerboard with no bulb. I like this concept a lot. Bulbs are hydrodynamic brakes that assist with the retention of weed and kelp.

I have searched for the Evo on line, outside of Intensity Sailing, there is nada on Evo...I like the boat and would like to spy more, even though I have a Kite and likely not gonna buy one...I would love to see the concepts, particularly a keel/daggerboard...weighted dagger...

I disagree with the posters who say this enters an overcrowded single handed market.

There is really nothing like this.......a large, very fast, powerful but stable single hander. Some of us are young at heart, feel the need for speed, but we are not in the market for Aeros, musto skiffs, hoots etc......and if there is room for a storage compartment for the power bars and a couple of beers, so much the better. If the platform is large enough to carry a really powerful down hill sail plan without feeling like you are kiteboarding on ice skates then , yes, I think this offers something really different to other single handed boats.

This could be the "muscle car" of single handers. While others are selling little super light single handed dinghies like Lotus 7s, this is for the folks who want a V 12 on a powerful chassis that can accommodate their frame more comfortably than the bucket seats in the smaller cars.

I think there is a market for this......provided it gets out of the gate with momentum, priced right, and emphasis on single handed.

I could not agree with immediate post more.

Perception is everything. I like the boat but not much marketing out there for it.

I see. Thanks. I get it. Please be sure to show option for dagger...function etc.

Hi All. Brian here. Thought it time to post some factoids about the EVO, why it exists, and at what stage it is at.

1. This boat is meant to grow the sport. The sailing world has come to accept apparent wind sailing and foiling as the new paradigms. Growth platforms like the Laser, Sunfish, and many (sometimes new) similar uni rig sailplans are being left behind, slowly but surely and I believe new, well fitted boats with both technical and broad recreational appeal need to exist to keep the sport moving forward.

2. A platform that attracts a sustainable audience needs to be light, fast, and just technical enough to appeal to both seasoned sailors and those new to apparent wind sailing. The boats before in this Assym. single handed genre (Devoti D1 and RS 100) are realistically boats for single handed crews under 185 lbs and have some behaviors that I felt could use improvement (having looked very closely at them). Not all sailors want foiling concept platforms. The majority IMHO still prefer tactical boats with the excitement of high performance downwind strategy.

So how to draw the conventional single handed dinghy sailor into the world of apparent wind sailing (safely)?

A new platform that has the capacity to carry a wider weight range, a easy to rig concept, and high quality/ low cost of ownership, and the option to sail with 3 displacement optioned rigs with 1 or 2 crew. Enter the VX EVO.

In a nutshell, an Olympic level race-boat with true dock stability, and the highest performance of any single handed hiking dinghy available today. Add high aspect kick up foils for sailing off any beach, estuary, lake or wherever you wish. A boat for older sailors that have been looking for a more comfortable ergonomic hiking platform, or two kids that want to use the boat when dad wants to go play golf!

A few key points:

• Production boat weight 180 lbs.
  • Sail away on a Dynamic trolley, sails, top cover just $13,950.00
  • Sealed 2 piece (sealed and buoyant) carbon mast at Just 12 lbs
  • 3 mainsail plans: 8.7 SM, 9.7 SM, and 10.7 SM with crew weights keyed to area and based on equal performance in the mean wind range. 1 Gennaker size for all.
  • Crew weights can be competitive from 80 kg to 115 kg.
  • Easy kite launch and retrieve (3 pulls) through large geometry throat. Much safer than predecessors due to high form stability hull shape.
  • Fixed mast step with adjustable partners chocking for optimal power settings for all crew weights.
  • Major controls lead to central pod and to side decks for easy reach.
  • Easy "flying" jibes. just take the new sheet across when you jibe at speed.
  • Centerboard retracts entirely into the foot chock.
  • Carbon/ Eglass epoxy Vacuum bagged laminates by Ovington Boats, UK. An Olympic class builder. Production start planned for April 2016. Boats arriving early June 2016
  • Replaceable Nose cap for low cost maintenance. This is a crash bow that both absorbs damage and inflicts less on the race course. The Evo has a negative bow angle and this cap allows us to have a positive release from the mold.
  • Combi trailers and double stack combi trailers available from 1st production. Tow 2 boats behind a Mini!
  • 5 regatta Florida winter regatta schedule for 2016/2017 including Miami Bacardi and Charleston Raceweek already in place.
  • An ideal performance platform for any sailor that wants independence or just a great asymmetric training platform.
  • Can utilize Bennett Yachting's current and highly successful multi boat enclosed trailer regatta services with the ability to move as many as 20 EVO's to major regattas around North America (and a low cost).

What stage are we at with prototyping?

We are going into our second weekend, this time in Beaufort, SC, and will be at Bacardi Miami Sailing week next week.

Major changes:

• A larger kite. Pole is going out 150mm (6") and up 125mm. LP will be tuned for best lift and aspect ratio. We felt immediately that the kite could be larger. The boat is so well behaved and forgiving that even a knockdown is quite survivable, and the kite can be retrieved mid knockdown without an issue. Jibing is so easy its ridiculous. Early drivers said of a jibe in 18 knots: "it almost jibes itself" and in douses the kite easily retracts. Shrouds but no forestay mean easy blow through jibes without friction.
  • New Hiking strap configuration allowing easier fore/aft movement, and a step to bow up down wind placement.

Minor changes:

• Control line leads. The tails now tidy automatically from the side deck to foredeck hood with shock cord run internally.
  • Tweeks to CB control positions.
  • Tiller 50mm longer.
  • Tiller extn 100mm longer.
  • Slight mod to Mast gate and bearing to keep simple but add better adjustment.

All in all we are very happy with the boat. I think a very pragmatic advancement in sailing quality over any contemporary one design. It will be a true sailors boat offering technical performance sailing qualities in a durable and completely enjoyable package. Simple, fast, tactical, and true One design from the first production boat onward.

We plan to have build methodology inc weight tolerance ready for World Sailing International compliance ready within 6 months, and an active and well promoted class association. This from the experience gained building the VX ONE and Viper 640.

Ovington Boats are great builders. Very honest, and masters of the technical racing smallboat from 49er to 505, VX One and now Evo.

As always I am happy to answer sensible questions. We are serious about this entry into the arena, and to date the interest has been strong. I hope you all see the real potential for this new boat to make a difference. We will work hard to support our buyers and all those who want to come and enjoy VX land.

Cheersfor now. B

...interesting details Brian, ''.....Shrouds but no forestay mean easy blow through jibes without friction.....'' .....yer really caught me out on that one. :rolleyes: I'd imagine if the mast is rigid enough to not need a forestay, you'll likely find it doesn't need the shrouds until high winds with the chute , it'll be interesting to see. All the best with it! ;)

Are we sure that it won't have stays? The proto doesn't even have the sprit fitting installed on the bow extension yet.

yeh,,I'm assuming no stays,,,but I didn't realize they're planning a chute till now ...stays would change all my comments :rolleyes:

....but they wouldn't need that black section of deck if there's shrouds :unsure:

You need the shrouds to keep the rig in check downwind, particularly in waves. Without shrouds the kite luff us very unstable. The RS 100 has shrouds. The D1 does not, and you can see the difference in behavior. I think a sensible and slightly more technical approach.

I must differ that shrouds are necessary. There are many examples, but I will note but one...Finn.

BobBill - I'd really like to see some photos of the Finn with the kite up. Read Brian's posts.

Yeah,

I understand, lost my head. Was 5 AM, had to pee.

But idea cam from years back when I did witness a redone Finn with a "reacher" rebuilt, albeit wood mast.

It did fine in the light pressure in a small north WI lake, but, being a catboat, would do better with short sprit and more righting moment, but the old rig did do it...while I watched, anyway. Thinking back, it did appear weird.

I had to add shrouds to my outrigger because of terribly weak Hobie 18 main hull likely would not take pressure of mast at base, plus carbon ribs, but the intent from get go was stay-less rig, which it still is...

My needs might not be similar. I am a big unstayed mast fan...my Kite is unstayed, though I never thought to add reacher, cat boat.

cleardot.gif

According to Intensity's FB post, 191lbs is minimum! I guess at 160 lbs, I'm out. Just when I thought it would be a better choice thne an RS100 :(

Full beer cans...? In time, you will grow into it, believe it; but by that time, you might be looking for something tame.

cleardot.gif

We have advanced concepts for a lifting keel option but only on the basis (and at a time) that it does not affect the growth of the core class.

Actually a lot of calls for ballast on this platform, and this boat can carry 60# extra due to it being fairly high in volume. Will let the audience speak to this, but we will move on it as a subclass if the numbers support it. Obvious diminished performance, but not by much. We have a very clever trunk block conceived with built in guides so that you can go between formats very easily. This would also allow light weights to enjoy the boat on a recreational basis. (Combi Trailer required).

B.

Great stuff B! I'm sure it will be a really fun boat, like all yer hard work, as is apparent in all things VX.

You need the shrouds to keep the rig in check downwind, particularly in waves. Without shrouds the kite luff us very unstable. The RS 100 has shrouds. The D1 does not, and you can see the difference in behavior. I think a sensible and slightly more technical approach.

...haha,, good point. Seems like you've done your homework! :rolleyes:

At one time I thought about adding lead sheath to the tip of a daggerboard as an experiment but backed off...

And await to see how this design will handle idea.

I suppose a lead-tipped daggerboard seems odd, but it would make one very nice boat a bit more mannered, for those needing it, and still allow easy removal of the dagger etc. Just a thought. The maker will do what is best for their business, no doubt. Fun to armchair-it, however.

According to Intensity's FB post, 191lbs is minimum! I guess at 160 lbs, I'm out. Just when I thought it would be a better choice thne an RS100 :(

You have no friends? No kids want to sail with you? Work on your people skills or get a Golden Retriever to crew for you- trust me, they will naturally go to the high side and look forward to assess the tactical situation. ;)

Seriously, the boat will fit a lot of couples and parents/children. BB mentioned the possibility of a weighted keel or bulb awhile ago, haven't heard anything about it since, nor do I even understand what sort of keel the boat uses at the moment. Sounds like it may be hinged? Does anyone know?

Are you looking at any of the other dingy's? Melges 14, RS Aero, etc?

No I don't have any friends, and no kids

.I want a singlehanded boat, that would be a bit more sedate then my A Cat or a skif, yet still fairly quick.The RS100 seems to fit the bill, but I think the Evo might be a better design. The Aero is a good choice but I would prefer a boat with a kite.

We make choices, get a decent large dog, drink beer...and EVO...keeled or not, or run nuts on one of Wharram's rigs...

Stachel...the prescient Jeff Bozos is reputed to have said,

"If it flies, floats or fxxxs (fornicates), rent it; it is cheaper! Might be good idea for some dodgers...." Don't know where Jerryd lives, but I would think on living on a boat...like a family boats can be.

• "Centerboard retracts entirely into the foot chock."

Hi BB,

Can you clarify what this means, or attach a photo or drawing of the centerboard system? Amazingly, none of the released photos seem to show it!

I haven't seen the boat "in the flesh", but from photos there appears to be a rib running down the middle of the cockpit, a "foot chock" for when the boat heels beyond what the static friction of your footwear can manage. The centreboard swings up (retracts) into it, see pic (from Facebook, no centreboard fitted but you can see where it goes).

post-40437-0-54350400-1458363712_thumb.jpg

One problem with such an arrangement is that it can be difficult to tell when the board is not fully down. It's more apparent to spectators guffawing as you slide sideways and can't work out why it won't go to windward. Probably can be fixed with a coloured section on the top that only shows when it's not fully down or some similar system. But otherwise, a good idea, it keeps the cockpit clear.

Performance wise, I think a dagger board would be better. Both systems have their pros and cons, I guess a centreboard is seen as more popular with the target market.

The CB is not installed in this pic. The boat will come with calibration for BC rake. This is a great feature for optimizing balance with the different mainsail options and rake. A dagger board does not allow this. Also if you hit the "putty" you are not going to tear up the trunk.

B.

I saw this out sailing up close in Miami, first impression was how big it looked for a single hander, made me think it would need a fair bit of wt on the side to push it through any sort of chop.

~ 175-250 lb crew weight- sized perfectly for today's typical body type. ;)

It'll be perfect for a fit parent and kiddo too.

My thoughts exactly...

I question using a gnav rather than vang. The gnav creates all sorts of space in a 3 person boat and Im glad the Viper and VX adopted the gnav but IMO (which is obviously less expert than Brian's) it adds uneccesary complications for rig tune etc to a single hander. A vang transfers leech tension directly to the hull rather than via the mast.....a vang is a simpler and purer system that a large single hander could use.

it.

I stand corrected on the gnav......Brian has posted on Facebook that the gnav works very well on the Evo. I defer to his wisdom.

HA! The gnav has been replaced by a vang!

It seems like Brian cannot help himself when it comes to adding power and carbon to his boats.

The evo mast has got taller, the spin pole longer and the SA is up. 2 person design mandates end up being 2/3 person boats and a 1 person design mandate ends up as a single handed for the Clydesdale class or a 1+1.

The only way to get Brian to design a boat for me would be to ask him to design a boat for my niece.(smiley face)

Seriously, looking good......but I think a carbon boom adds an unnecessary production cost. It will be very very important to stay on price point and I sense some cost creep which will inevitably lead to price creep. I think the price is right on target at the moment but this is going to be a long haul to build a new single handed class.....and price increases will nip it in the bud.

It seems like Brian cannot help himself when it comes to adding power and carbon to his boats.

The evo mast has got taller, the spin pole longer and the SA is up. 2 person design mandates end up being 2/3 person boats and a 1 person design mandate ends up as a single handed for the Clydesdale class or a 1+1.

The only way to get Brian to design a boat for me would be to ask him to design a boat for my niece.(smiley face)

Seriously, looking good......but I think a carbon boom adds an unnecessary production cost. It will be very very important to stay on price point and I sense some cost creep which will inevitably lead to price creep. I think the price is right on target at the moment but this is going to be a long haul to build a new single handed class.....and price increases will nip it in the bud.

Well, there is a nifty deal going on right now for early adopters, so the CF bits won't matter. I heard that the boom change was due to customer insistence. Sailors seem to be enamored with CF, whether it makes sense or not. We just love gazing at that beautiful weave pattern. I am also not up to speed in the latest cost differentials in off the shelf CF parts vs alyoomineeeeyum.

I expect that the sail area increase was due to the boat being more stable than expected.

Look around, the current middle aged sailor who is the target for this boat has a, let me be delicate, a tendency to have one of those "successful lifestyle body types", a little more mature with an average of two teenaged kids. That's who this boat is targeted for- buy one VX Evo instead of two Lasers/Devoti's/Aero's. That's my guess anyway.

It is always daunting to build a new class isn't it? However, the problem wth the aforementioned single handers is that the buyer's probably tend to be younger, lighter and prior to their best earning years. If I'm wrong, then why build yet another platform in that size and price range?

First batch of boats being built in the UK now, arriving in the US mid to late June. Look for the picture and video stream to begin around then.

VX-EVO_new.jpg

For $13,950 you get a ready-to-go boat with all you need.

Complete Race Ready Boat
#2 Sailplan with Choice of Gennker Color
Top Cover
Rudder Bag
Dynamic Trolley

Glad to share more details if you are interested.

Rod

....about the most I've seen of the EVO so far, from another thread.

The first batch of boats are almost complete and about to ship. There have been some changes from the prototype, even beyond what I am going to mention here. Would rather let BB summarize officially when he gets a chance. He's been in the UK working on the build at Ovington.

Boom is now CF and raised a couple of inches.

The keel has changed, I'll leave that to BB, but I like it a lot.

Chute is bigger, four pulls to launch- stupid easy.

Bang replaces Gnav. Simpler to rig and launch.

Adjustable mast step

The boats are all white, the proto was laid out to show off the CF.

Here's a grim looking lad sailing the prototype. Sorry that I couldn't find someone happier and handsomer. ;)

post-116580-0-39193000-1465422628_thumb.jpeg

What a day!

Conditions were perfect and going out there with the Bennetts it is always a plus.

The boat is phenomenal; at 157 lbs and 5' 10" I was able to hold the the boat, lots of vang sheeting on the puffs, the chines help a lot. Then the mandatory turn around and hoist of the kite; the boat just goes fast, on the gust it takes off. If you get overpowered, put the bow down and go even faster. Very smart deck layout.

Tapered carbon rig, very responsive.

Gybes with the kite were easy, specially thanks to the lack of headstay.

Really...really fast, cool and smart boat. Can't wait to sail it in big breeze.

Thanks again guys.

so how do you store this thing (get it out of the water?)

where does the keel go?

LOL... it's a centerboard boat.

where does the keel go?

So why am i thinking this is a hybrid with a small ballast keel? I thought that's what this thing is about.

So it's another rs100, devoti thing?

Why am I already envisioning a much larger kite.

...cause you only like sailing DDW? :mellow:

I sail an A-Cat the closest I get to DDW is 90 degrees.

where does the keel go?

So why am i thinking this is a hybrid with a small ballast keel? I thought that's what this thing is about.

Was some chatter about optional ballasted board upthread but it may have just been "oooh I want it but with some ballast" rater than "this thing will deffo have a ballast option"

where does the keel go?

Was some chatter about optional ballasted board upthread but it may have just been "oooh I want it but with some ballast" rater than "this thing will deffo have a ballast option"

Ok thanks, that's probably where i stopped reading.

Where does this thing fit in compared to the similar devoti and rs100?

Ok thanks, that's probably where i stopped reading.

Where does this thing fit in compared to the similar devoti and rs100?

Well for one the Devoti D-Zero and the RS100 are both dagger-board boats...

The VX Evo is aimed at a larger helm.

There's many other differences but I figured you stopped reading at the second sentence. :P

The EVO switched to a dagger board arrangement as well, with a retracting rudder. Easier, simpler and the balance is achieved by an adjustable mast step.

Rod Favela in the images is around a 158 pounds soaking wet with three beers inside and he said he had no problems with the boat. I bet he and his son will have a ball with the Evo.

I should have put this in the second line so certain people would actually see it, but the most obvious difference is the presence of an asymmetric spinnaker on the EVO, which is missing on all of the others. This thing reportedly flys downwind, the chute goes up in four pulls and is stupid easy to gybe since there is no forestay in the way. You may want to start working on your pilot's license. ;)

The EVO switched to a dagger board arrangement as well, with a retracting rudder. Easier, simpler and the balance is achieved by an adjustable mast step.

Rod Favela in the images is around a 158 pounds soaking wet with three beers inside and he said he had no problems with the boat. I bet he and his son will have a ball with the Evo.

I should have put this in the second line so certain people would actually see it, but the most obvious difference is the presence of an asymmetric spinnaker on the EVO, which is missing on all of the others. This thing reportedly flys downwind, the chute goes up in four pulls and is stupid easy to gybe since there is no forestay in the way. You may want to start working on your pilot's license. ;)

Who even mentioned the d zero?

The devoti d one and the rs100 born have a asymmetric kite you fuckhead.

Everything I've read says the VX-EVO has a centerboard. Please post a link where it says it's gone to a dagger-board.

We have advanced concepts for a lifting keel option…

Calling a removable weighted board a "keel" may lead to confusion. Oh wait, it already has…

Things have evolved. 3 different main sail sizes can accommodate a larger weight range.

We have advanced concepts for a lifting keel option…

Calling a removable weighted board a "keel" may lead to confusion. Oh wait, it already has…

As the project has evolved Brian has gone to an unweighted daggerboard. A move I wholeheartedly agree with. The boat is so well balanced and such a pleasure to sail it does not need any weight down there.

Things have evolved. 3 different main sail sizes can accommodate a larger weight range.

Like the Laser, Laser radial and Laser 4.7?

Three different starts?

Three different starts?

Like the Melges 14 5m,7m,9m sails...

Like the RS Aero 5m,7m,9m sails...

Seems to be a trend.

Three different starts?

Like the Melges 14 5m,7m,9m sails...

Like the RS Aero 5m,7m,9m sails...

Seems to be a trend.

...with the HOOT, I've found that varying just the luffcurce and hence the flatness was a very good equalizer.

..power in the sail was proportional to sailor weight. :)

Three different starts?

I don't think so. More information coming soon. First boats about to ship to the US where they will be assembled and sent on their way. Sounds very well thought out so far.

Three different starts?

I don't think so. More information coming on that soon.

First boats about to ship to the US where they will be assembled and sent on their way. Sounds very well thought out so far.

Very interesting that Rod Favela was able to sail the prototype with a rig that wasn't optimized for his gimlet weight. The hull reportedly has a lot of form stability which enables this sort of approach. Seems that the boat will accommodate a larger weight range than initially predicted.

He is right.

When I saw the sail, the first impression is that all my 157 lbs will be overpowered fairly soon as the wind picked up, but the form stability is more than enough to hold the boat on its feet and yet not dragging to slow down, quite in the contrary the boat accelerates nicely and just wants to go forward, specially with the kite up. Very few dinghies I have sailed with such balance.

Bottom line is that trying is the best option. The VX Evo will be present at most of the VX One major events, so I suggest to keep an eye on the calendar and if one is near you, stop by and jump on the boat and check it out. You will not regret it.

Jerry, at 160 lbs. you will be on the light side of the range, but with the smaller it will be fine.

I've always been enamored of the Finn as a "big guy" dinghy. But it's never been a realistic option for me on my next boat purchase because I don't want another single sail non-chute boat. That's why I've really been thinking about the RS700 as my next boat.

But I've been looking at the specs of the VX Evo vs the Finn. Am I correct in thinking of the VX Evo, specifically the option with the larger mainsail plan, as a Finn w/ a chute?

I've always been enamored of the Finn as a "big guy" dinghy. But it's never been a realistic option for me on my next boat purchase because I don't want another single sail non-chute boat. That's why I've really been thinking about the RS700 as my next boat.

But I've been looking at the specs of the VX Evo vs the Finn. Am I correct in thinking of the VX Evo, specifically the option with the larger mainsail plan, as a Finn w/ a chute?

I have been sailing the Proto Type for a few weeks now. It is the most comfortable and fun dinghy I have had the pleasure to sail. The boom is high enough and the hiking position is like the VX One. Very comfortable and not the pain cave that the Finn is. With the 3 size sail options it will have a broad range of sailors and a broad range of wind conditions for this sailors. Stay tuned to how the class develops or better yet. Get one and be a part of how the class develops!!

DTA, It all boils down to what you plan to do with the boat. Are you primarily interested in O.D. racing? Then wait to see if the EVO catches on. If you just want to blast around, then TRY the boat to see if YOU like it. Reading specs and watching videos will not give you the answer. My take is that Brian Bennett hasn't made a bad boat yet - the EVO will probably be a winner however you enjoy it. Happy Sailing!

I disagree with the posters who say this enters an overcrowded single handed market.

There is really nothing like this.......a large, very fast, powerful but stable single hander. Some of us are young at heart, feel the need for speed, but we are not in the market for Aeros, musto skiffs, hoots etc......and if there is room for a storage compartment for the power bars and a couple of beers, so much the better. If the platform is large enough to carry a really powerful down hill sail plan without feeling like you are kiteboarding on ice skates then , yes, I think this offers something really different to other single handed boats.

This could be the "muscle car" of single handers. While others are selling little super light single handed dinghies like Lotus 7s, this is for the folks who want a V 12 on a powerful chassis that can accommodate their frame more comfortably than the bucket seats in the smaller cars.

I think there is a market for this......provided it gets out of the gate with momentum, priced right, and emphasis on single handed.

If this has ballast then it makes the Evo more a Dodge Charger or Chevrolet Camaro, than a V12. :)

Well if that's the case, then don't try to sell itbin Europe.

Ain't nobody buying muscle cars round here!

DTA, It all boils down to what you plan to do with the boat. Are you primarily interested in O.D. racing? Then wait to see if the EVO catches on. If you just want to blast around, then TRY the boat to see if YOU like it. Reading specs and watching videos will not give you the answer. My take is that Brian Bennett hasn't made a bad boat yet - the EVO will probably be a winner however you enjoy it. Happy Sailing!

I'm a bit of a loner sailor- not much interest in racing or classes. Just for pure, personal, loner fun. Don't care if it catches on (except insofar as necessary so that I can buy parts/sails later). I'll look around to see if the opportunity to sail one pops up in my neck of the woods. But I've gotten used to just buying a boat sight unseen and hoping for the best (it's worked out so far: Laser, Vago, Aero). Damn - it's a cool looking boat. Right now, it's gonna be either the RS700 or this one come next summer.

has there been any talk of this as a potential frostbite boat for those who don't want to be stuck in a sunfish or laser/can't take their boat south? seems like it could make the winter a lot more fun.

has there been any talk of this as a potential frostbite boat for those who don't want to be stuck in a sunfish or laser/can't take their boat south? seems like it could make the winter a lot more fun.

I'm not sure it helps much if you have ice.

Much better to get an DN ice boat.

😁

Looks like the first production boats have been delivered and are already on the water.

Looks like they added the carbon boom, moved it up a little, and changed from a Gnav to a Vang. Bridle is different than I expected, simpler and easier to quickly adjust, and you can see the change to a dagger board. Nice looking boat that is supposed to be fast and pretty stable.

post-116580-0-37797200-1469980022_thumb.jpg

post-116580-0-59283700-1469980023_thumb.jpg

post-116580-0-85752100-1469980025_thumb.jpg

post-116580-0-08824900-1469980027_thumb.jpg