• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
scooter1369

The VX Evo

Sailed the boat today in Sarasota, I love it.   I was a little apprehensive at first, lots of stuff going in and extremely powerful.  After about an hour I got comfortable, no worries.

The boats big, I’m about 6’2, 220 and it was awesome not being cramped up.  It feels like a little Vx one (in fact missed it sitting next to 20 Vx ones when I arrived.    I think this is going to be a perfect boat for big fellas’, folks who like to be challenged, sailors who like sailing on top of the water rather than through it.  I also think your going to see a lot of 2 person small crews.  

I really wish I’d had this thing when my son was young. 

On 12/28/2017 at 9:03 AM, xonk1 said:

Rod, I'll be racing in the Bluster in the Bay Regatta Tampa Jan 13-15. I can do a demo at SSSQ on Tuesday Jan 16 then back to Atlanta. Hope it works out.

Some questions will be answered here: 

On 4/29/2015 at 2:31 PM, Speng said:

OK so how is this different from the RS100, D-One, RS Vareo, Laser Vago, Bongo, Hoot + Chute, Raider? This boat has to be similar to one of them as they're all sit-in kite singlehanders.

not to mention the orgy of non kite singlehanders either people just don't want boats like that or they're not marketed well in the USA but based on the results in the fairly dinghy centric UK I think the answer is people don't want them. So unless this boat is a fricken revolution/VX are marketing geniuses then it doesn't make sense. Maybe they think they are marketing geniuses given the VX-One's success or maybe that was just a really good boat.

The VX One is , without a doubt, a really good boat. This may sound obvious by someone as biased as I am, but I became biased because it is an excellent boat and not the other way around. More than been a great boat, it is a good overall program. I can make a long list of great, very well designed boats, that never took off because the boat is just a part of the equation.

In the case of the Evo, you are correct on comparing with similar models, yet there are other elements that add up or take away from the decision of joining on or other class: this could be from aesthetic, through the characters involved in the class to how easy is to tow, rig and splash.

We do think the VX Evo, same as the VX One, is a revolutionary boat. There is a delicate balance between the performance, accessibility and appeal to a given group of sailors. Few other builders have done the same. The closest to the Evo is the RS100, yet smaller and aimed to slightly smaller sailors and more athletic, this has to do with the overall length and sail area of the Evo and small details as the boom height, etc.

Wisdom in marketing and support when growing a class are key, you are accurate about that too. We are working hard towards that and curiously today we released the first "How to Rig your VX Evo" video.

I heard a rumor that people who lined up with it went better wing-on-wing with the kite downwind for extended periods of time as opposed to heating it up and planing.  True?

1 hour ago, sailhmb said:

Did the VX1 make a setup video?

No, but it would be a great idea.  Kudo’s to Vela Sailing Supply for doing the evo vid.  They just took on boat distribution and are doing a bang up job.   Customer service just took a giant leap forward!

Two more Evos hit Texas and another on its way from Florida.  Finally a boat is just go sail for fun

Does the spin halyard _need_ to run inside the mast?

If it would be happy outside the mast... you could put a fastpin in the spin halyard block and you could leave the kite rigged and on the boat. Pin the block to the mast and put the mast up. I suppose the halyard may need to be a few feet longer to get enough slack to step the mast (or just pull a few feet of kite out of the snout when stepping). That would speed up rigging a bit.

26 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

Does the spin halyard _need_ to run inside the mast?

If it would be happy outside the mast... you could put a fastpin in the spin halyard block and you could leave the kite rigged and on the boat. Pin the block to the mast and put the mast up. I suppose the halyard may need to be a few feet longer to get enough slack to step the mast (or just pull a few feet of kite out of the snout when stepping). That would speed up rigging a bit.

I’m leaving the kite rigged on mine.  Just pull the halyard against the mast base and Velcro it, then a cover over the entire thing 

50 minutes ago, sushi said:

I’m leaving the kite rigged on mine.  Just pull the halyard against the mast base and Velcro it, then a cover over the entire thing 

Do you split the mast or will the cover allow the end of the mast to poke out?

4 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Do you split the mast or will the cover allow the end of the mast to poke out?

DOH, for travel.  sorry, I mean mast up storage.  Interesting idea Dex.   Honestly, hooking up this kit takes a few seconds.  The biggest hassle is re-running the halyard using a tracer but that's only a few seconds itself.  Sorry, I misunderstood  

Great stuff.  Do we know many Evo's have been sold in the US, and will we have the same kind of following the VX One has (are they taking off at the same pace the One did after release).  

Went out on a VX it was too much for me,  looking for something that can be controlled easily while single handing.

Also: what are the key differences between the Evo vs the RS100 ?

thank you !

14 hours ago, ridethewinds said:

Great stuff.  Do we know many Evo's have been sold in the US, and will we have the same kind of following the VX One has (are they taking off at the same pace the One did after release).  

Went out on a VX it was too much for me,  looking for something that can be controlled easily while single handing.

Also: what are the key differences between the Evo vs the RS100 ?

thank you !

30?   For several reasons the Evo didn't get a big marketing push after it's launch.  In fact it appears that Bennett did nothing to support the boat, I wont speculate why but let's just say it may have been the best thing for the class.     I will say that I think they were more focused on the VX One.    North American Distribution has been handed to Vela Sailing which is going to be an absolute blessing.  Their level of customer service is something you don't often see in the marine industry, and just what this awesome little boat needs.     

You'd never single hand the VX ONE in any reasonable breeze, efficiently anyway.   The VX EVO is designed to be a single hander for larger folks, and can be singled handed by a talented smaller sailor like the 155 soaking wet dude in that video.   Otherwise, two smaller people will be ideal.   

Both the RS 100 and Evo step up the technical aspect of sailing by giving you a kite. The RS100 looks like an Aero on steroids (more manageable for small to moderate size sailors) while the Evo is better suited for moderate to large sailors (or again, if you think you want to sail with another person).    I think the RS100 would be a better training platform, the EVO is a beast of a boat.    

For me, personally - a dingy with main alone doesn't really make me want to go sailing.   The EVO's something that will get me out of the office early a few days/week.   

Go sail them both, let us know what YOU think!

I launch from 3' of water. How would the kick up boards handle that? Can I sail out to depth with them half down or something?

3 hours ago, duwke said:

I launch from 3' of water. How would the kick up boards handle that? Can I sail out to depth with them half down or something?

Ya, it works ok.  I’ve been sailing off a rocky beach. Rudder is perfec, it has a line up and down control.  The more CB takes a little more work but sail-able in a few feet of water.  We will sail off the beach in Conroe.  Show up early and go play with my boat