scooter1369

The VX Evo

Prototype keel still in GA. Is at the top of the list....at 150 lbs I am very curious of how much it will help.

• Like 1

There was a Bongo at yer club, did anyone ever see it sail or ask if it worked?, am wondering how much it will help also.

27 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

There was a Bongo at yer club, did anyone ever see it sail or ask if it worked?, am wondering how much it will help also.

Never sailed it.

• Like 1

Ortegakid, I had a Bongo for several years ( #28 ). It was a bit ahead of its time and maybe too expensive for what folks thought of it. The concept was good in that the ballasted keel ( think mini-melges 24 ) provided great protection from capsize and super easy recovery.The hull itself was very narrow at waterline so it had little form stability. It would sit peacefully at the dock but getting on the boat was like stepping into a canoe - you had to be on centerline. The bongo was relatively heavy for its size, I believe it was around 400 lbs. The best performance was on a close reach with the asymmetric. Upwind not so good, probably because of the weight. Few were made. I am almost certain that the hull numbering began at #10. Sadly, a fire at Abbotts boat work destroyed the molds. It was the most interesting boat I have owned but not the best.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xonk1 said:

Ortegakid, I had a Bongo for several years ( #28 ). It was a bit ahead of its time and maybe too expensive for what folks thought of it. The concept was good in that the ballasted keel ( think mini-melges 24 ) provided great protection from capsize and super easy recovery.The hull itself was very narrow at waterline so it had little form stability. It would sit peacefully at the dock but getting on the boat was like stepping into a canoe - you had to be on centerline. The bongo was relatively heavy for its size, I believe it was around 400 lbs. The best performance was on a close reach with the asymmetric. Upwind not so good, probably because of the weight. Few were made. I am almost certain that the hull numbering began at #10. Sadly, a fire at Abbotts boat work destroyed the molds. It was the most interesting boat I have owned but not the best.

Probably the best way to describe it.

• Like 1

Rod,

What's going on with the EVO nationally in terms of number sold, future sales, locations etc ? Getting any kind of traction anywhere >

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bibs said:

Rod,

What's going on with the EVO nationally in terms of number sold, future sales, locations etc ? Getting any kind of traction anywhere >

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bibs said:

Rod,

bibs,

Just closed another order for a boat going to Lakewood yacht club (Houston area). 

At the moment, we have "two active" fleets: Texas and South Carolina, with individual boats scattered in Arizona, New York . A container scheduled to arrive here in mid October and we are looking for more push.

We have been somewhat "shy" on the information stream as we are almost ready to launch a new distribution channel and a couple of changes on how to sell, deliver and grow the class. Good things about to happen with this little rocket.

Sushi is right. We should have more solid news tomorrow.

Hang in there guys. We are thankful for the follow up and good energy behind the VX Evo.

Rod

• Like 3

Dex,

I know....fair and we have been on the same. Finally we got some good terms today and Vela Sailing Supply is prepping' the launch with some good news. Ovington (the builder) has a production slot allocated and we are expecting the next container of boats mid October.

Details coming soon!

• Like 1

Great sailing venue!  

Nice looking "A" sail...got to tack quick before you run aground!!!!  :)

Thanks for sharing.

Thank You Rod, and thank you a lot for your great video about the VX EVO tutorial. It's help me a lot !

I am so happy to sail with this boat. It's giving me so powerfull sensation with the gennacker. 

I sailed from 5 to 20 kts and it goes very fast downwind, I fly !

Then, a lot of people told me that the boat is very elegant on the water...nice to hear that :)

Sure It's realy the best boat for me, everything is perfect.

Glad to hear the video has helped you! We know is a long tutorial, but users can "fast forward" to the area they need or can watch the whole thing during a Sunday morning with coffee on hand.

One of the key things about both, VX Evo and VX One are exactly that:elegance, while still a sport boat, which tends to be hard to achieve. Kudos to the designers, Brian Bennett and Rodger Martin for hitting it right!

For the sake of letting the community know more about the VX Evo, can you share what have you sailed before the VX Evo?

I am 45 years old, 184 lbs, 1,84m. 

I began sailing at 25 years with my brother. 

One year on a LASER 4000, after one year on a laser 5000, and after  6 years on 49er.

So I stopped sailing at 33.

But it's missed me.

Last year I decided to buy a boat for sailing with my wife, my two kids, and friends.

So  as I was older and no athletic as I was ten years ago, I decided to buy a 420.

But in fact my wife has no time to sail and my kids don't like so much be on the boat. 

The 420 is a very good family boat but a lit bit bored for somebody who have sailed on boat like 49er.

As I am 80% of my time alone in the boat, I was looking for a catboat with a gennaker.

With the VX EXO, I refound sensations sailing as I had know with the 49er.

But the difference is that it is more stable - I need to sail now only on the water and not in the water ;)

• Like 2

:D Great input. Awesome way to describe it, thanks again for sharing. The VX Evo definitively fits those needs, specially when you like performance without the crashing!!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 8:58 PM, Rodfavela said:

Dex,

I know....fair and we have been on the same. Finally we got some good terms today and Vela Sailing Supply is prepping' the launch with some good news. Ovington (the builder) has a production slot allocated and we are expecting the next container of boats mid October.

Details coming soon!

Huh? Still taking in code. “Prepping the launch” of what? 

• Like 2

D-one 's faster upwind 

Vx evo 's faster downwind.

I will do other races with D-one in other conditions of  wind, and I have to improve my settings, but I think that the  conclusion will be the same...

If the D-One was sailing with his largest sail at 11.5 Sq. Meters and you with you "A" sail, that is 1.3 sq meters less sail area on the VX Evo. Also the Gennaker on the Evo is a little smaller than the D-One's....interesting.

Please keep sharing as you do more races, interesting to see that differential.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 9:11 AM, superg said:

Huh? Still taking in code. “Prepping the launch” of what? 

Alright guys,

Thanks again for "hanging in there" all this time until details were finished.

Officially we are the distributor and operator of the VX Evo for the Americas, from Canada to the "Horn". We will be launching the newsletter soon, however this is not slowing things down anymore: the production slot with the builder has been allocated and we are expecting the first container under the new watch to arrive Mid December.

Details, pricing and contact information here:  https://www.velasailingsupply.com/vx-evo-complete-sailboat/

Feel free to reach out to us at anytime!

• Like 2