Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jnavas

Oracle AC45 in 4K Ultra HD, 25 Feb 2015

Amazing quality !

Great camera (Panasonic FZ1000)!

Yep that is what amazes me, it is a good camera but, supposedly, not as good as mine, a Canon 6D, and I am not sure I would do as well.

That's the cam I used at the AC with a 70-200- 2,8. Too bad I had I let my X2 at home.

Really impressive quality and zoom, congratulations and thanks !

are the other teams actually actively training on these already?

This is a custom build by Oracle, though certain elements might be shared with Artemis (I don't know the details there).

Luna Rosa has has their own modded AC45s flying for a while now but by all accounts they are not as sophisticated.

Dunno what ETNZ and BAR have cooked up.

The one design kit for the 45s hasn't been released publicly yet.

Yep that is what amazes me, it is a good camera but, supposedly, not as good as mine, a Canon 6D, and I am not sure I would do as well.

That's the cam I used at the AC with a 70-200- 2,8. Too bad I had I let my X2 at home.

Best sequence of a cat foiling to weather - ever.

Thank you both. :)

are the other teams actually actively training on these already?

This is a custom build by Oracle, though certain elements might be shared with Artemis (I don't know the details there).

Luna Rosa has has their own modded AC45s flying for a while now but by all accounts they are not as sophisticated.

Dunno what ETNZ and BAR have cooked up.

The one design kit for the 45s hasn't been released publicly yet.

NZ is just getting started. http://www.news.sail-world.com/America_s_Cup__Emirates_Team_New_Zealand_gears_up_on_less_money/131893

Amazing quality !

The stabilized Leica lens is advertised with a maximum reach of 400 mm (equivalent, at a fast f/4), but actually goes to nearly 600 mm in 4K mode (due to sensor cropping), or even 800 mm in Intelligent Zoom mode.

Best sequence of a cat foiling to weather - ever.

Yes but more interesting is how they train for the downwind marks:

1) full speed downwind,gybing around the (virtual) mark while foiling + upwind, still foiling, (sometimes they fail though). The U is wide but they don't lose speed.

2) going full speed downwind, turning around the (virtual) mark, upwind on the same tack + roll tack.

I have never seen the AC72 do a fraction of that, neither can a regular cat do it. Amazing how agile they are. Not sure they need stored energy, they are many on a small boat with lower loads.

1) full speed downwind,gybing around the (virtual) mark while foiling + upwind, still foiling, (sometimes they fail though). The U is wide but they don't lose speed.

2) going full speed downwind, turning around the (virtual) mark, upwind on the same tack + roll tack.

I have never seen the AC72 do a fraction of that, neither can a regular cat do it. Amazing how agile they are. ...

Amen! :blink:

Amazing quality !

The stabilized Leica lens is advertised with a maximum reach of 400 mm (equivalent, at a fast f/4), but actually goes to nearly 600 mm in 4K mode (due to sensor cropping), or even 800 mm in Intelligent Zoom mode.

The FZ1000 is a good camera for photos, excellent for videos.

But when we speak of the Leica lens 400mm f/4 going up to 800 mm, then we talk very serious business !

I have never seen the AC72 do a fraction of that, neither can a regular cat do it. Amazing how agile they are. ...

Amen! :blink:

They obviously train to both techniques and consider what is the fastest one in order to chose the favorite mark.

My guess:

1)luff at the downwind mark and keep foiling upwind.

if they have to change tack:

1) luffing at the mark+ roll tack

2) gybing at the mark + foiling upwind.

At the end, IMO, they will gybe before the marke, arrive on the correct tack and luff while keeping foiling.

We should know that this year. Yes, foiling should modify the tactics.

So John et al, these 45s seem amazingly capable at all points of sail, and are only going to get better. Having seen them and the 72's on SF bay now, do you think we are getting to a point where the foiling 45 might be close to the sweet spot at the whole AC62 thing is just expensive and redundant? Maybe this has been discussed to death but I've been avoiding the entire AC section of SA since I'm still pissed about Sir Thomas Sopwith getting diddled out of the 1934 cup. Anyway I'd welcome your thoughts.

Thanks for the great videos!

^ These are not AC45s. Nor are they the AC45F's that will be used in the 2 'seasons' of ACWS prior to AC35, as you probably realise, despite the thread title.

The boats Artemis and OTUSA have been sailing in SF are scale model test beds for their AC62s to come (AR x1, OTUSA x2).

Capable indeed, as one would hope, given that they are the result of years of expensive research and technology development and partnerships with some of the worlds leading industrial tech companies.

The 62s will be more powerful, have systems that build on the experience being gained now and have more crew to do the same tasks, so will be faster and smoother than the test beds, as you see them now. But these will get better with time as well, it's likely there will be next generation wings at some point as well as improvements in control systems, foils and crew work.

A belated thanks for your comments above nav, but I also come to gloat that apparently I was seeing the writing on the wall! I have to say I have mixed feelings about this.

The boats Artemis and OTUSA have been sailing in SF are ......

Capable indeed, as one would hope, given that they are the result of years of expensive research and technology development and partnerships with some of the worlds leading industrial tech companies.

...... these will get better with time as well, it's likely there will be next generation wings at some point as well as improvements in control systems, foils and crew work.

Now updated!

Probably the most telling 10 seconds of that clip, that defines the future of sailing: A winged, foiling Cat, and Foiling kiteboard!!

Great video J

Many thanks for it and all your work on the water

WL

Probably the most telling 10 seconds of that clip, that defines the future of sailing: A winged, foiling Cat, and Foiling kiteboard!!

Great video J

Many thanks for it and all your work on the water

WL

Thanks. :)

But alas, I fear this is the end of the trail for my video. :(