• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcbsheb

VOR Auckland Stopover

252 posts in this topic

Couch must be feeling a bit under the weather; I can't believe this thread hasn't been started yet. In an effort to keep couchsurfer happy, do we move all of our discussion on the events going on in Auckland to this thread? Technically, the Sanya-to-Auckland leg is over.

Sure, In-port race discussion, dock walks and talks and pics, boatyard actions need this. Leave the leg 4 threads for obvious leg 4 summaries and conclusions.

Actauly couch only started the zombie vestas thread.

He is the most prolific poster, but he. Rarely starts new.

Auckland is awesome nothing more needs to be said about it.

Auckland is awesome nothing more needs to be said about it.

+1

Oh, to live in a such a place. I'm lucky if I can squeeze more than 20 days of sailing out of a year before the weather shuts down the options. Watching the sights and sight-seers during arrivals yesterday was pleasantly painful :)

....wow,yeah,, a thread in my honor, I'm truly touched d'shlepp :)

I've never thought of myself as a thread police nor started a leg or port thread

....are there any asian poultry markets in Auckland? :mellow:

...how about a tour of southern spars?

...will the 18er's lend their boats to the teams?....that'd be worth the show :)

Can't find where Shanghaisailor posted he would be in Auckland and taking questions?

Anyway, I think Dongfeng's mast should be replaced. Defective. Wouldn't trust any repair going into the Southern Ocean.

I am curious about the repairs process. What if a team doesn't agree with the Boatyard's assessment of a repair, repaired part or the quality of any part for that matter? What recourse does the team have before setting off with something they believe will fail (and ultimately does)?

...Shanghaisailor...lucky you to make another stopover!

.....I'm wondering if Brunel are going to start rotating crew like the other teams? It's great to have a tight group, but Abbu,Dong have been rotating crew as a pro-active measure and Mapfre in effect has been doing the same. Charlie was quoted to say that even though he's had a in of newby in the rotation, the 'freshy' factor is invaluable especially as the race winds out.

....it'd be great to land an actual list of sails that have been issued. I'm sure it's more than the two J1's (?) that happened in Sanya

Have ador been rotating?

Adil jumped of the boat at the last minute due to illness, that is the only change i am aware of.

Have ador been rotating?

Adil jumped of the boat at the last minute due to illness, that is the only change i am aware of.

...ahh yes,,not a pro-active plan but I think Ian made comment about it being useful to have a fresh crewman.

Anyone want any questions asked in Auckland? I will arrive on 7th

[snip]

SS.

Thanks. Maybe you can share your questions with Sailorgirl who will also be there by then.

The Virtual Eye tracker people are in New Zealand, and I'm hoping they'll be open to feedback and questions about the tracker.

I'd really like to know about the rules the Virtual Eye people have to respect regarding the data they get from Race Control.

Is VE allowed to offer a de-crypted stream to others, like Marine Tracker?

Will they be able to substitute the excellent lat/ lon grid they had last time? (for desktop and mobile)

Are they planning on rolling out any new features, or is what we have all we can expect? (they implemented some rough routing last time)

Data source quality for wind and currents?

In-app buy option for more frequent updates?

and mostly, is there a person who might welcome feedback and feature requests?

Speaking of rotating crew, would it be so bad for SCA to change things up at the top level? A lot of other teams have with some success. Seems like SCA has worked out a lot of issues. Maybe try a change the navigation decision making process - whatever that is.

[snip]

SS.

Thanks. Maybe you can share your questions with Sailorgirl who will also be there by then.

The Virtual Eye tracker people are in New Zealand, and I'm hoping they'll be open to feedback and questions about the tracker.

I'd really like to know about the rules the Virtual Eye people have to respect regarding the data they get from Race Control.

Is VE allowed to offer a de-crypted stream to others, like Marine Tracker?

Will they be able to substitute the excellent lat/ lon grid they had last time? (for desktop and mobile)

Are they planning on rolling out any new features, or is what we have all we can expect? (they implemented some rough routing last time)

Data source quality for wind and currents?

In-app buy option for more frequent updates?

and mostly, is there a person who might welcome feedback and feature requests?

Another tactic might be to raid their office and hold them hostage until they agree to our demands.

Another tactic might be to raid their office and hold them hostage until they agree to our demands.

. 'like' :lol:

Went for a wander yesterday.

Late afternoon and the boats were only just getting pulled. Mapfre and ADOR both lifted while I was there. Looked like rig then boat pulled. Dongfeng rig in boat.

Sails were all into the co-share sail loft set up in the multi - million Events Centre.

Some crew wandering with family, some having a beer. Alvi was having a crew debrief.

Spoke to one of the SCA crew. "Only" lost 2kg for leg.

[snip]

SS.

[snip] and mostly, is there a person who might welcome feedback and feature requests?

Aaar. Virtual boarding planks for the data pirates. Pieces of 8 matey (8 bits to a byte?).

Guys, I'm here.

If you have any questions post them to this thread and I will attempt to get answers. Can't promise anything but will try.

Currently in Hobart enjoying the time with family.

I read the front page piece by Bowwe but surely a skipper with greater disappointments would be Charles, losing out on leg victory by 8 minutes having lost hours to a fault (Mast track) that must have cost considerably more than that. Particularly galling when it was supposedly sorted 2 stopovers ago. I know it is a different part of the track but the failure on a previous leg should surely have pointed to a potential weakness on the whole track. It probably was the first mast built as Dongfeng was the first boat built.

What are the views of the guys on the forum?

There is a spare mast in Auckland but not necessarily tuned;

take the whole track off and re-fix the whole mast;

risk a different un-repaired section letting go in the almost guaranteed stronger winds of leg 5

take apart the pieces that haven't failed so far and re-fix

Not an easy choice but I am not so sure I would have 100% confidence in the situation if it were me.

It is certainly one question I shall be asking - send me yours as well and I shall do my best

See ya on the water (my next lot is Bay of Islands)

SS

SS, read above ^^^

Regarding the mast, question is, what if a repair fails again, for the third time, but this time in the Southern Ocean? That would bring up even more issues between the VOR, Boatyard and campaigns. A big mess I don't think the race needs to deal with.

Give them the mast.

Sorry for spamming the thread. I deleted the tedious stuff above.

Looks like "VCA" is the magic abbreviation to search in the Class Rules http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m27707_vo65-class-rules-inc-amendment-6.pdf

DF could buy a new mast, and get the VCA to approve a new certificate.
Wonder if the teams will ask for extra outriggers.

Looks like "VCA" is the magic abbreviation to search in the Class Rules http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m27707_vo65-class-rules-inc-amendment-6.pdf

Nice work. So DF has to buy a mast? What about the supposed spares?

Nice work. So DF has to buy a mast? What about the supposed spares?

Lots of spares on hand jointly owned. Didn't see anything about "warranty" work and costs, but replacements are not free. Guess that's a question for the "Owner" to ask the VCA.

Went for a wander yesterday.

Late afternoon and the boats were only just getting pulled. Mapfre and ADOR both lifted while I was there. Looked like rig then boat pulled. Dongfeng rig in boat.

Sails were all into the co-share sail loft set up in the multi - million Events Centre.

Some crew wandering with family, some having a beer. Alvi was having a crew debrief.

Spoke to one of the SCA crew. "Only" lost 2kg for leg.

Which SCA crewmember did you talk to?

....it would seem to be an obvious & simple move for Southern Spars to take Dongfeng's mast and get it done right while it's at their doorstep. Who wants all the bad press?

...Shanghai,,as above, me's very curious if Brunel is going to get into rotating some crew,,,and if we can get an update on all sail trade-ins to date,,,thanks.

The simple, easy fix seems like a no-brainer. Put the spare rig in the boat and let Southern, along with members of the Dongfeng shore crew and the boatyard, figure out what caused the failure and if it needs to be addressed on all masts.

If it was a flaw in the build process, the Southern covers under some type of warranty. If it was user error, then DF just bought a new mast.

Re the DF mast issue. The right guy to ask is Charles, who, with his crew, are the best qualified to decide what should be done, and who have most at stake.

They need a mast which will get them round Cape Horn!

Everyone concerned should ask Charles what he wants done and then do it.

Re the DF mast issue. The right guy to ask is Charles, who, with his crew, are the best qualified to decide what should be done, and who have most at stake.

I would agree with that. The only point I was trying to make is not letting a discussion over who is liable for the cost of the replacement become a stumbling block. VOR has spare masts for the boats, but they're not handing them out like candy.

I would agree with that. The only point I was trying to make is not letting a discussion over who is liable for the cost of the replacement become a stumbling block. VOR has spare masts for the boats, but they're not handing them out like candy.

Yes, I think VOR are more interested in the race as a profit centre, much more than in goodwill and promoting the race itself for participants and the public.

Dongfeng shouldn't touch their mast. It is one of the fastest. That track bend is twisting their main sail shape to give them extra speed.

Note some sarcasm might be in this comment. It will be hard to detect.

There are 7 teams, each team owns 1/7 of the spares. (And various other parts of the show beyond that including the boatyard itself.)

As far as the the rig goes there were 3 spares: 1 complete rig in Auckland, 1 tube in Amsterdam, 1 tube in Abu Dhabi.

1 tube goes to Vestas. (No idea which one.)

The positive part is that it's not about handing out the last spare to DF, which would add more pressure.

The big question is what DF wants. Beyond a mast track that does not fall off. ;)

Since they are in Auckland doing a factory fix seems to be a good idea to me.

Yes, I think VOR are more interested in the race as a profit centre, much more than in goodwill and promoting the race itself for participants and the public.

....hmm,profit centre? maybe so. I've been thinking it's because the budget is tight. Same effect I guess :mellow:

...all this chatter about spars....my bet is Southern is likely dealing with it. Why wouldn't they?

1. ....''haha..you think I banged the wheel hard?....Wait till our fieldtrip to Southern Spars!''
    B_CyfZiW8AIgyyx.jpg
  2. For @DongfengRacing getting to Auckland was about finishing unfinished business... http://buff.ly/1GC0e4k

Just in case some of you guys don´t have it in your bookmarks.

Here is the Auckland Viaduct webcam, overlooking the race village:

http://www.takeabreak.co.nz/accommodation/auckland-city.asp?cam=2

....what's the big blue boat berthed ~centre picture? ..it seems 1 1/2 the size of the VO's

I think you will find that the race is a Volvo COST centre and forms a part of their (their being corporate) marketing budget.

As such it has a contribution to the bottom line Volvo Trucks (SWE) and Volvo Cars (CHN) which could be either positive or negative

The VOR itself has, I have no doubt, a 'budget' and therefore the situation will be whether it is under budget or over budget not if it made a profit or loss.

Like any marketing campaign the true measure for the race owners will be whether it has achieved the targeted Return on Investment (ROI) just like any other (sports) marketing campaign.

Regarding the mast, I agree that with what is obviously a recurring problem albeit to different sections of the track would initially suggest that there is some weakness in the way the track was fitted to the mast, batch of adhesive perhaps or some such. Either way it would normally be a Boatyard 'fix' but with Southern Spars on the doorstep so to speak I would agree the sensible thing to do would be at least to get the Southern Spars guys down to the Viaduct to fuly check the mast/track join out thoroughly.

It cannot do the confidence of the team (in their mast) any good after having to have Kevin up the mast in what is 50% of the legs so far with the hardest leg - wind wise - ahead of them. It does additionally become a safety issue as no one wants to go up the mast in the Southern Ocean.

I think it is strange that one mast out of 6 remaining has failed twice. It is unlikely that this is because (as some people have suggested in posts in the past) that Dongfeng are sailing the boat any harder than other teams especially as after '000's of mile 3 teams arrived within 8 minutes of each other. It does beg the question though that where would Dongfeng be if they hadn't had (now) two separate issues with their mast track :-)

I will correlate the points, issues and questions that have been put above and see what comments or direct answers I can get when I am in Auckland.

See ya on the water

SS

SS -- Love your posts, photos, perspective, et al, but it kills me how impossible it is for you to view the cause of dongfeng's third place finish as anything other mast track failure (which you also don't believe is DF's fault). The ease at which you jump from "one mast out of six has failed twice" to " I don't think it's because they're sailing the boat any harder" is impressive.

For the sake of trolling, lets for a moment assume that DF is entirely blameless in their damages. To point to 'boat problems' as the reason, completely disregards the other damages the other boats have also experienced. There is an entire thread dedicated to why SCA is losing, but no one is pointing towards boat damages. How do you think that felt when they lost their jib twice in one day and falling off the weather system that they baked their strategy on. I'm sure every boat could cook up a story about how their breaks are hindering their performance. DF is awesome at telling a compelling narrative.

I can only imagine the softball you're going to lob at CC. "Please tell me why the reason you lost is related to the mast track? "

/Rant over. Also, I dread the news story that points to a unique problem with DF's mast. I'll be eating my shorts for sure.

Seriously jealous that you're in Auckland.

Steif, hope you don't mind me posting your work over here. Can't really make to many assumptions from these numbers but it's still interesting to see who sailed the fastest and who sailed the furthest, especially, when the debate continues about this being a race primarily about boat speed or tactics and navigation - or a combination of both.

leg 1 Team Miles Hours Avg

2 DFRT 8363.9 603.380 13.862

5 Alvi 8405.5 637.127 13.193

6 SCA 8499.9 647.630 13.125

7 MAP 8525.9 648.792 13.141

4 TVW 8531.5 624.813 13.654

1 ADOR 8772.4 603.179 14.544

3 Brunel 8788.9 607.557 14.466

leg 2 Team. Miles Hours Avg.

2 DFRT 6391.7 568.694 11.239

1 Brunel 6417.5 568.422 11.290

3 ADOR 6417.6 571.138 11.237

5 Alvi 6567.6 597.490 10.992

4 MAP. 6615.3. 587.305 11.264

6 SCA ? 606.393 n/a

Leg 3. Team. Miles. Hours. Avg

3 Alvi 5394.3 569.854 9.466

4 MAP 5396.6 570.389 9.461

6 SCA 5401.8 578.696 9.334

1 DFRT 5403.2 565.527 9.554

2 ADOR 5444.7 568.842 9.572

5 Brunel 5449.7 570.419 9.554

leg 4 team Miles Hours Avg

1 MAPFRE 6130.0 482.522 12.704

3 DFRT 6137.0 482.656 12.715

4 Alvi 6140.8 483.969 12.688

2 ADOR 6147.0 482.596 12.737

6 SCA 6359.6 489.540 12.991

5 Brunel 6374.6 486.508 13.103

Average these out and you get the below in order of points:

Team. Miles. Avg Speed

Abu. 6,095.43. 12.02

DFRT 6,573.95. 11.84

BRU. 6,757.68. 12.10

Alvi. 6,627.05 11.58

Map. 6,666.95. 11.64

SCA. 6,753.76. 11.83

Couple of initial observations.

1. The winning team has sailed significantly fewer miles than the rest.

2. Dongfeng is not the fastest boat.

3. SCA is not the slowest boat.

4. Brunel having sailed the greatest distance is also the fastest boat so far.

5. Mapfre has sold themselves to the Devil (look at the miles sailed!)

So, can we affirm that it's not as much about boat speed so much as it is about navigation? If Brunel cut down the miles, could they win? If SCA cut down the miles, could they place? Is Simon Fischer a navigational genius? Can we draw any conclusions from this at all?

Edit: apologies for the numbers getting squeezed. It's the iPad.

Team. Miles. Avg Speed

Abu. 6,095.43. 12.02

DFRT 6,573.95. 11.84

BRU. 6,757.68. 12.10

Alvi. 6,627.05 11.58

Map. 6,666.95. 11.64

SCA. 6,753.76. 11.83

So, can we affirm that it's not as much about boat speed so much as it is about navigation? If Brunel cut down the miles, could they win? If SCA cut down the miles, could they place? Is Simon Fischer a navigational genius? Can we draw any conclusions from this at all?

+1. and yes, look at the colour of Mapfre!

Red boats are faster. It is proven. I know two one design boats one white and one corvette red and the corvette one always feels faster.

Steif, hope you don't mind me posting your work over here. Can't really make to many assumptions from these numbers but it's still interesting to see who sailed the fastest and who sailed the furthest, especially, when the debate continues about this being a race primarily about boat speed or tactics and navigation - or a combination of both.

[snip]

Team. Miles. Avg Speed

Abu. 6,095.43. 12.02

DFRT 6,573.95. 11.84

BRU. 6,757.68. 12.10

Alvi. 6,627.05 11.58

Map. 6,666.95. 11.64

SCA. 6,753.76. 11.83

Edit: apologies for the numbers getting squeezed. It's the iPad.

Nice job, and glad you found a better spot.

Pretty interesting how small the speed differences are, which does seem to elevate the benefit of navigating the shortest route. Aargh--seems to credit 'staying with the pack.'

As for ADOR, they seemed to wander more than needed, so SiFi actually seemed to lose out by the numbers. Shrug. I'll have to rethink that guess.

Laughing at the 'red' herrings. Stats should always be subordinated to real people.

(FWIW, to keep the Excel tables lined up, I pasted into the <code> XLM option)

....^^...great if it were all that simple, but the data above only represents averages over the leg. If any of the boats were hot/cold on their efficiencies, the data quickly becomes too vague to draw more than general conclusions. :mellow:

....^^...great if it were all that simple, but the data above only represents averages over the leg. If any of the boats were hot/cold on their efficiencies, the data quickly becomes too vague to draw more than general conclusions. :mellow:

Macro. It's a starting point from which to get micro.

Sousou, you kill me.

As any sailor knows a fast sail shape is dependent on how it matched the rig. A mainsail luff even inches from where it should be can have significant effect on depth and position of draft in that portion of the sail. Perhaps you have never bought a new main but one of the critical measurements is the mast bend to match the sail to the rig.

Ipso Facto - a sail which is setting badly because the luff is not where it is designed to be is slower. Additionally the down time of having a crew member up the mast along with the disruption to the air-flow he will cause is NOT fast and I am assuming the repair took somewhat longer than 8 minutes.

The three leaders were largely sailing at the same speed in pretty much the same wind as each other for much of this leg so the boats were likely being sailed pretty much as hard as each other. Maybe not but logic would suggest so.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't know how to "lob a softball" at Charles as I have never played Rounders for grown ups and if I do ask him what he thinks caused the failure , I will ask it straight forwardly and knowing him he will answer as honestly as he can although VOR protocols may prevent a full and total answer. Check out the SA archives for my interviews with Kenny Reid and Knut Frostad from the last race and you will find out I don't generally "softball" anyone.

And don't worry sousou, rants from newbies are always welcome especially when they are amusing.

The problem with DFRT's mast is certainly unique in that the track has let go not once but twice - in two different places. The second failure. I would imagine, is a lot more worrying than the first. And I am sure that, as with other items of engineering, a double failure should result in a 100% check of the whole track.

They have the first built boat but I honestly don't know if it was paired with the first mast. That may or ay not be an issue, it is something I shall ask the guys (DFRT/Boatyard and hopefully Southern).

BUT - as DFRT are the only team to have had mast track problems (twice) it already IS a unique problem so do you have a postal address where I can send the salt and pepper to make your shorts more appetizing.

Sorry to make you jealous about Auckland but.... a couple of days cruising the Bay of Islands, a visit to North Sails loft, the crew party, prizegiving, a couple of evenings BBQs with some umpiring friends, a few days on the water driving the media RIB - tough life but somebody's gotta do it!

Keep the questions coming.

See ya on the water

SS

I have to say the figures posted above are very interesting buy I always understood the most important instrument readout is VMG, in other words the ACTUAL speed towards the next waypoint. The best average or overall VMG results in a victory.

Now we are one design perhaps there is an argument for a return to overall elapsed time making it, once more, a true race around the world rather than like a regatta series with the only thing missing being a discard.

Those of you who, like me, are older and/or have been following the Whitbread/VOR for a while - Ok a long while - may remember Steainlager who when crossing the Atlantic had a mizzen chainplate give way and only a crash gybe by Brad Butterworth stopped the whole thing coming to a premature end. Or Tokio, where Chris Dickson was assumed to be a runaway winner until his rig DID tumble down.

Looking at the race so far - and these cumulative times were sent to me by a Facebook friend so I can take no credit for the additions

Team Days Hours Minutes Seconds

DFRT 92 12 15 28

ADOR 92 17 45 14

TBRU 93 0 54 25

ALVI 95 8 26 24

MAPF 95 9 0 30

SCA1 96 18 15 33

As one famous skipper said a designer can make a boat fast but the skipper/navigator has to point it in the right direction

See ya on the water

SS

Fair points. And agree on 100% check of mast track (of all boats) to narrow down the cause and sort out the fix before the next leg.

So that I understand your first point correctly: Are you saying that the problem was (could be) with the cut of main? And to get the fastest shape DF needed to apply a little extra bend and that extra bend may have caused the track to pop off? A good enough theory speculate on. Do you think the other boats had a similar problem with shape but their track could handle the bend? Which leads to an interesting conundrum

If all boats have the same problem (ideal shape requires significant mast bend), with whom does the blame lie for the track splitting off in the middle of a leg? NS for the shape that stresses the mast? Southern for mast track issue or the sailor who has to balance everything to finish (fast)?

In other news, it took SCA about 8 hours to fix their problems when off the coast of Taiwan, I'm sure the results would be mixed up if they had those minutes back. I guess my point is that every team is going to have these types of issues during the race and part of winning is managing those issues. Unless it's laziness/negligence or poor workmanship, then bring out the pitchforks. Hopefully they glue the tack back, so that it's a non-issue for rest of competitors for the rest of race.

My question for you when you're not galavanting on the water:

Following leg one, Clean toured the boatyard and shared some feedback from the yard crew that "some boats were more aggressively sailed" than others. DF and Brunel being two of the guilty parties. 1) After four legs, which boat is in best/worst condition overall. 2) How does a skipper balance the feedback "you're sailing the boat beyond design" with winning the leg.

We are berthed in the VOR berths while they are out (one ton cup revisited) and it's awesome down here. Dongfeng have a tent over the whole boat, while the bowsprit of ADOR has been removed. All rudders and boards are out I think, and it looks like some masking is being done around the deck of the boats so maybe new nonskid? All boats have been polished. Pics tomorrow

We are berthed in the VOR berths while they are out (one ton cup revisited) and it's awesome down here. Dongfeng have a tent over the whole boat, while the bowsprit of ADOR has been removed. All rudders and boards are out I think, and it looks like some masking is being done around the deck of the boats so maybe new nonskid? All boats have been polished. Pics tomorrow

Looking forward to pics! Haven't been very impressed by the SA media operation down there so far :)

.........Haven't been very impressed by the SA media operation down there so far :)

...yeh,, I want my money back! <_<:rolleyes:

To all those accusing DFRT of overstressing their track joint by bending the mast I would just say that if you consider the factors which normally are involved in glued joint design, i.e. pull off strength, shear strength, modulus of the two bonded materials and the cured glue, applied pull off stress, applied shear stress, actual strains, personally without knowing all these figures in detail I still find it hard to believe that mast bend within the elastic limit of the carbon mast itself, is likely to have any significant effect on the joint strength.

Anyone thinking that elastic bending of structures using glued joints causes failures should look along the wings of the arepolanes they fly in and get brown trousers.

Would just love to be educated if I am wrong here though.

To all those accusing DFRT of overstressing their track joint by bending the mast I would just say that if you consider the factors which normally are involved in glued joint design, i.e. pull off strength, shear strength, modulus of the two bonded materials and the cured glue, applied pull off stress, applied shear stress, actual strains, personally without knowing all these figures in detail I still find it hard to believe that mast bend within the elastic limit of the carbon mast itself, is likely to have any significant effect on the joint strength.

Anyone thinking that elastic bending of structures using glued joints causes failures should look along the wings of the arepolanes they fly in and get brown trousers.

Would just love to be educated if I am wrong here though.

Yep. And like you said in the other thread, most likely had to do with the prep before gluing. So, replacing the track, taking it all the way back on the mast, reapplying and hoping it holds up. Good chance it will work. But what if it doesn't? Charles would have a legitimate complaint, more so than he feels he already has,especially if he's knocked out of the next Leg because of it. That would be disruptive to the race. Something I don't think the VOR or anyone else involved wants to happen. My gut is to get a new mast and take all the time needed to properly understand the failure of the old one.

Team. Miles. Avg Speed

Abu. 6,095.43. 12.02

DFRT 6,573.95. 11.84

BRU. 6,757.68. 12.10

Alvi. 6,627.05 11.58

Map. 6,666.95. 11.64

SCA. 6,753.76. 11.83

I don't get how this can be true judging by the numbers above. ADOR sailed more miles than DFRT each of the four legs, but they get to sail less miles in average...

:blink:

Team. Miles. Avg Speed

Abu. 6,095.43. 12.02

DFRT 6,573.95. 11.84

BRU. 6,757.68. 12.10

Alvi. 6,627.05 11.58

Map. 6,666.95. 11.64

SCA. 6,753.76. 11.83

I don't get how this can be true judging by the numbers above. ADOR sailed more miles than DFRT each of the four legs, but they get to sail less miles in average...

:blink:

It's science.

...a new 'from the boatyard'. Reminds me of a serial monogamist,, always has a good story for newcomers but little substance otherwise. :mellow: ...

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/8531_In-the-Boatyard.html

Sewing machines buzz, hammers bang and fabric rustles. There’s no time to waste.

He pauses. “You need to manage your own boat. Seamanship is a huge part of this race. Just because the boats are one-design doesn’t mean they’re indestructible.”

The whole mast debate is slightly confusing for its continuation. I too would love questions put to the skipper and the manufacturer as to their thoughts on why the track split off, but the solution is fairly simple, replace it. This is a one design boat so it stands to reason it is a one design mast. Replace it, take the defective, and it is defective, mast back to the manufacturer for testing ASAP, before boats leave Auckland.

Whether it is mast bend or not, the fact that it failed twice is a clear indication of a defective part. The fact that currently no other boat experienced such a failure puts to the forefront a defective part and not how it was stressed for given how close all these boats are being sailed, all are getting similar stresses.

I also don't get the concern about rig tuning. In the picture of my dream boat above and by virtue of other posts these rigs are removed from the boats upon pulling. they are reattached (at some point) and at that point they are all re-tuned. Putting a new mast on DFRT should not an issue unless one can somehow prove the new mast is "better" than an old. By that thinking, if a boat cracks, bends, or loses a mast and limps to port they get the advantage the next leg...please :rolleyes:

Since I like to imagine I'm rich and powerful (ie my dream boat above) and that I own Southern Spar I would have everyone of those masts hauled into my shop and inspected to the point of using dye and a microscope to ensure they meet design standards for the Southern Ocean conditions and that there are no microfractures occurring between the track and mast. Not only good PR, but good follow up on a new "production" line. It will also give that little bit a faith back to the crews that their boats can go the distance in one piece.

Right now and for the next 8 days Windyty was showing large areas of the SO that had winds over 40 kts. That may change by the 15th, but at some point I figure these boats are gonna get bitch slapped by Mother Nature. Were I skipper of DFRT and had two blowouts in what would be tame conditions to date, I'd be screaming for a replacement for the third failure may not be so benign.

"He pauses. You need to manage your own boat. Seamanship is a huge part of this race. Just because the boats are one-design doesnt mean theyre indestructible."

Seamanship. This is true. I remember early on in the first Leg there was a lot of talk amongst the skippers about being conservative and not pushing too hard, that it was early in the race and a long way to go. Looking back I think Charles said "Pfft!" and began to push their boat from the beginning (yes, I distinctly remember "Pfft!"). Upon arriving in Cape Town, the two boats that showed the most wear were Brunel and Dongfeng.

I think as the race wore on, and the other teams figured out the boats could be pushed really hard without folding up, they started to push as well. I haven't heard peep about being conservative since that first Leg.

Anyway, seamanship and the risk you take. How close to the breaking point can these boats be pushed before getting knocked out of contention? Will we ever know?

MAPFRE in the VOR@desafioMAPFRE 8h ....''no Pablo I haven't seen him either. I hear he's hanging out with the Movistar gang. I guess he'll join us before the leg start''#vamosMAPFRE http://ow.ly/JUBYE

proxy.jpg?t=HBhUaHR0cDovL2Rlc2FmaW9tYXBm

...''ya Gonz...I hear they gave him some new sunglasses!'' :lol:

Nuevos juguetes @OceanSunglasses c'mon guys,,,can't you see I'm BUSY!?..besides, the boat's not rigged yet!

B_P6yQZW8AIZTob.jpg

MAPFRE in the VOR@desafioMAPFRE 8h ....''no Pablo I haven't seen him either. I hear he's hanging out with the Movistar gang. I guess he'll join us before the leg start''#vamosMAPFRE http://ow.ly/JUBYE

proxy.jpg?t=HBhUaHR0cDovL2Rlc2FmaW9tYXBm

...''ya Gonz...I hear they gave him some new sunglasses!'' :lol:

Iker Martinez@IkerSailing 9h

9 hours ago

Nuevos juguetes @OceanSunglasses

B_P6yQZW8AIZTob.jpg

Not a fan.

....a pretty creative ad from Movistar worth a watch.....support those who support Iker! :)

Iker Martinez retweeted

Quiero compartir con vosotros una experiencia única con @ValeYellow46, @lorenzo99 y @Movistar_Team http://bit.ly/1wpeVBG

Translated from Spanish by Bing

I want to share with you a unique experience with @ValeYellow46, @lorenzo99 and @Movistar_Team http://bit.ly/1wpeVBG

The whole mast debate is slightly confusing for its continuation. I too would love questions put to the skipper and the manufacturer as to their thoughts on why the track split off, but the solution is fairly simple, replace it. This is a one design boat so it stands to reason it is a one design mast. Replace it, take the defective, and it is defective, mast back to the manufacturer for testing ASAP, before boats leave Auckland.

Whether it is mast bend or not, the fact that it failed twice is a clear indication of a defective part. The fact that currently no other boat experienced such a failure puts to the forefront a defective part and not how it was stressed for given how close all these boats are being sailed, all are getting similar stresses.

I also don't get the concern about rig tuning. In the picture of my dream boat above and by virtue of other posts these rigs are removed from the boats upon pulling. they are reattached (at some point) and at that point they are all re-tuned. Putting a new mast on DFRT should not an issue unless one can somehow prove the new mast is "better" than an old. By that thinking, if a boat cracks, bends, or loses a mast and limps to port they get the advantage the next leg...please :rolleyes:

Since I like to imagine I'm rich and powerful (ie my dream boat above) and that I own Southern Spar I would have everyone of those masts hauled into my shop and inspected to the point of using dye and a microscope to ensure they meet design standards for the Southern Ocean conditions and that there are no microfractures occurring between the track and mast. Not only good PR, but good follow up on a new "production" line. It will also give that little bit a faith back to the crews that their boats can go the distance in one piece.

Right now and for the next 8 days Windyty was showing large areas of the SO that had winds over 40 kts. That may change by the 15th, but at some point I figure these boats are gonna get bitch slapped by Mother Nature. Were I skipper of DFRT and had two blowouts in what would be tame conditions to date, I'd be screaming for a replacement for the third failure may not be so benign.

I wonder if they will be checking the other masts to that extent.. Its not a bad idea and the shop is right there. Wooo hooo to 40knts! Nice if the inport had that.

.....shanghaisailor.....how's things going over there?

....any word on the DongFeng mast saga or who's done sail trades? ;)

Post 43 Sousou.

I was not saying there was any fault in the cut of the main. The Main and mast are a tuned item both supplied my North Technology Group companies but if the main is tuned to the mast WITH THE TRACK ATTACHED then with the track NOT attached then the shape in that area of the main would not be as designed and likely not as efficient.

In other words the absolute OPPOSITE to what you thought and not what I was saying at all. The draft (to make it clear - with the track detached )would be deeper and likely further aft in the mainsail producing more heeling and leeway element in my view - in other words VMG slower. I might be wrong but it is certainly NOT fast to NOT have the track attached to the mast as per design.

Regarding your question about boats being sailed aggressively, I think the low level of problems and that, reef collision apart, every boat has finished every leg would suggest that the boats are being managed by the teams pretty well.

I will try to get to the bottom of the mast situation in a few days.

Couchsurfer - Post 60 - patience my friend. I am still in Hobart (Friday). I fly to Auckland tomorrow arriving early evening and then may go for a bit of a yot on Bay of Islands for a couple of days but will be back ashore for the Monday night crew party but as soon as I am in a position to do so will be asking the questions.

See ya on the water

SS

Good question regarding overall condition and I shall see if Nick Brice in the Boatyard has any views he can share but in Sanya I didn't notice a swarm of boatbuilders over any particular boat.

Forget the VOR65, take a look at my boat.

In the background, under the VOR65s is the mighty Result, Lidgard 36 one tonner, part of the 6 boat fleet in the One Ton Cup Revisited. Other entries are Rainbow ii, Wai Aniwa, Revolution, Impact and the legendary Pacific Sundance. Last race in tomorrow, and the forecast is for a bit of a blow so good times. Sorry for the hijack.

post-97971-0-46208900-1425626355_thumb.png

....^^...methinks it's only a hijack if there's something going on. :mellow:

You know they are looking at wind on the water. See how it shifts around that point? You can take the people out of sailing, but you cannot take the sailor out of the people.

Was there today. Lots of deck spray being done out of hours, saw some boards getting a tweak, and the sail loft is still busy. The Volvo Optis were out in a 20kn squall. Made for some entertainment for the knowledgeable.

Hey Jono, those kids in the Oppies are fearless aren't they. In Sanya we had to pull them off the water in 28kts. One young girl was hiking hard OFF THE TRANSOM and it was still trying to submarine. She luffed up, bailed it out and then went on to finish the race.

NORBowgirl. I just got here, don't knock what you don't pay for!!

Hopefully provide some 'stuff' from tomorrow.

And Couch - behave yourself ;-)

SS

You were right about the non-skid. Any chance you ran into any of the Virtual Eye folks?

I had a bunch of questions (post #10 10 above) about the tracker, and am hoping someone in Auckland will get contact.

Cheers

stopover course view and info now up on the noticeboard

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m36597_2015--auckland-in-port-addendum.pdf

Class rule addendum http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m36595_vo65-class-rule-appendix-f-150304.pdf

Not much change. Redbits:

Optional

It is permitted to remove the covers in the coachroof for the boat hoist arrangement and install dorade style ventilation combings provided that they utilise the original fastening holes. and The original covers and fastenings shall remain onboard at all times. The vents and the covers shall be interchangeable should the weather conditions dictate.

stopover course view and info now up on the noticeboard

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m36597_2015--auckland-in-port-addendum.pdf

Class rule addendum http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m36595_vo65-class-rule-appendix-f-150304.pdf

Not much change. Redbits:

Optional

It is permitted to remove the covers in the coachroof for the boat hoist arrangement and install dorade style ventilation combings provided that they utilise herwise I sethe original fastening holes. and The original covers and fastenings shall remain onboard at all times. The vents and the covers shall be interchangeable should the weather conditions dictate.

One can hope for a breeze that is not a reaching race. Otherwise I see it as (yawn). Now, parallel to shore...That will be a getter!

Tent and prep work to Dongfeng.

post-81201-0-55612300-1425787316_thumb.jpg

post-81201-0-89141000-1425787331_thumb.jpg

post-81201-0-98901900-1425787342_thumb.jpg

post-81201-0-22294100-1425787355_thumb.jpg

Questions for ADOR or Alvi?

1. Mon March 9 @sifisailing will be answering tweets tagged with #ASKSIFI - get you questions ready! #volvooceanrace

B_jYqewUgAE33LM.jpg
  2. Have questions about the @volvooceanrace? Tell us using #AskAlvi and #kiwis will answer them on Mar 9 1500 AUC time

B_jSx3SUwAITxTr.jpg

Tent and prep work to Dongfeng.

Source?

Another day, another stopover

It was always planned for DFRT to redo the non-skid in Auckland just in front of diving into the Southern Ocean where grip is of the utmost importance.

Because it was planned and with foreknowledge of Auckland's sometimes changeable weather the shore team designed a bespoke tent to ensure the job could be properly done and within timescale allowed. Interesting to see other teams enviously looking at it and some 'less prepared erections going on.

Will try and upload some pics tonight of the Viaduct.

Interesting changes in the crew with Yann Riou back as OBR, Pascal back as navigator and the immensely experienced Damien Foxall joining the boat for Leg 5.

I will post separately (perhaps front page if Mr Clean or Ed like it) about the mast problems.

See ya on the water

SS

[quote name="shanghaisailor" post="4869793" timestamp="1425801841

I will post separately (perhaps front page if Mr Clean or Ed like it) about the mast problems.

See ya on the water

SS

What's the "Front Page" you speak of?

To heck with them, just give us the scoop. They can fend for themselves and just post a link to the thread like they always do.

What's the "Front Page" you speak of?

To heck with them, just give us the scoop. They can fend for themselves and just post a link to the thread like they always do.

...that's a thought,,but I suppose Shangy might be under the power of getting a press pass. Article 'rights' would be fair exchange.

...Mr Shanghai...any word of sail changes to date?

Some glimpses of masts and rigging in a LSD feel-good interview and video with SCA.

http://www.livesaildie.com/vor-catching-stacey-jackson-sca/

...what a bizarre 'interview'...the music drowns out her voice and anything she might have been saying :wacko:

Yes. Quite the contrast with the wit and humour of the other "roll-your-own" homemade journalist (read the fine print on the placard beside the inappropriate 'jesus' face-in-a-taco' pic for max fun :) )

Seems appropriate 26f5.png#coffee #GTown #sailorgirl #adventures http://fb.me/7gSdjmXrj

post-63767-0-87951800-1425836402_thumb.jpg

Couch, I am here as an independent, I send stuff to SA because they put up what I send and don't try and dilute it and use "copy & vomit" with press releases way less than just about any other site or mag I know. Even Seahorse fell into the trap in the latest mag with a Advertorial on the Far East 28i so the "Press Pass" is my own :-)

OK - what I know about the mast is that it has been taken back to Southern, repaired fully and as I sit in the press centre I am watching the Dongfeng Shore Team re-dress the mast right outside.

It has had all the pull tests, shear tests etc and apparently the strongest part of the join - and the only part that wasn't re-done was the initial repair that Kevin Escoffier performed.

It wasn't the mast/track join that failed but the bond between the back of the mast and the 'strip' of carbon running down the back between the tube and the track.

All repaired and tested and should be bullet proof from here on in. There was another team that also had some track problems but much more minor and not sure who as this element was a third hand story.

A couple of more elements to be confirmed but as I get the scuttlebutt because I respect privacy when required I need to get the nod on them before putting them on line.

No news on the sails so far, but from the chatter the sails have proven to be pretty reliable overall but I WILL ask the questions.

SS

Couch, I am here as an independent, I send stuff to SA because they put up what I send and don't try and dilute it and use "copy & vomit" with press releases way less than just about any other site or mag I know. Even Seahorse fell into the trap in the latest mag with a Advertorial on the Far East 28i so the "Press Pass" is my own :-)

OK - what I know about the mast is that it has been taken back to Southern, repaired fully and as I sit in the press centre I am watching the Dongfeng Shore Team re-dress the mast right outside.

It has had all the pull tests, shear tests etc and apparently the strongest part of the join - and the only part that wasn't re-done was the initial repair that Kevin Escoffier performed.

It wasn't the mast/track join that failed but the bond between the back of the mast and the 'strip' of carbon running down the back between the tube and the track.

All repaired and tested and should be bullet proof from here on in. There was another team that also had some track problems but much more minor and not sure who as this element was a third hand story.

A couple of more elements to be confirmed but as I get the scuttlebutt because I respect privacy when required I need to get the nod on them before putting them on line.

No news on the sails so far, but from the chatter the sails have proven to be pretty reliable overall but I WILL ask the questions.

SS

Nice one. Keep up the good work.

SS

...good sleuthing Shanghai. To hear 'another team had some issues' leaves the door open for more issues on other boats and leaves me wondering if all masts have been as thoroughly checked over as Dong's? I hope Dongfeng wasn't the tunnel canary to an upcoming nightmare, but I imagine those concerned have had this thought too and acted accordingly. :mellow:

..any word what was done about the halyard locks?

From what I gathered they replaced all the j1 halyard locks with an upgraded lock-

You know you guys who get along to the race village should really buy a ticket and go to the Boatyard breakfast.

Every single thing you wonder about and ask about here, the stuff you put endless posts up about are answered. No secrets.

In Sanya there were even photos of the Vestas rebuild progress and full detail in Abu Dhabi about the grounding from the sailors. I can guarantee the halyard locks and mast track stuff will be discussed in Auckland.

Only so many hours in the day jfunk and one to ones are usually better but thanks for the heads up

SS

.....looks like Brunel's in the drone-game....:55 gives an amazing example of the elevated view! :blink:

SS

Isn't the "strip of carbon" you talk about part of ther mast structure itself? On the pictures from the first repair it did look as if the back of the mast was delaminating. I would be interested if you have any more information about this because it doesn't sound too comforting from what you say. If all masts might have this problem checking the track to mast bond won't be much help. The entire structure could have problems.

^^ You would think countersunk screws might do the trick and a final fallback compared to just a bond. There must be some "advantage" in just guling a track to the mast. If it weight savings then make the screws carbon fiber. I just read bout a 3D carbon printer that could be used to make gun parts. Figure screws would be easy.

Seems that Southern Spars (SS) knows what they are doing. Since as a skipper I would have no say in altering the manufacturing or "repair" I can only trust the builder. Given that SS has its name on the line (but not their lives for sure) I'd trust their word or not go.

Nice to know the upgraded the locks. The SO will be the last place to deal with sail issues.

^^ You would think countersunk screws might do the trick and a final fallback compared to just a bond. There must be some "advantage" in just guling a track to the mast. If it weight savings then make the screws carbon fiber. I just read bout a 3D carbon printer that could be used to make gun parts. Figure screws would be easy.

Seems that Southern Spars (SS) knows what they are doing. Since as a skipper I would have no say in altering the manufacturing or "repair" I can only trust the builder. Given that SS has its name on the line (but not their lives for sure) I'd trust their word or not go.

Nice to know the upgraded the locks. The SO will be the last place to deal with sail issues.

I recall hearing the first track failure was the carbon track splitting, not the bond failing. Holes in the mast are avoided at all costs, stress raisers and fibre breaks and all that shit

Guys just passing on what I was told. Southern Spars have one of the best reputations in the business and I am pretty sure they would be embarrassed, let alone anything else, at the rather public double failure of one of their products.

If Dongfeng is happy with the shear and pull testing along with the rebuild/repair of the mast track bond - wherever it broke down - then in the words of Alfred E. Neuman "What Me Worry?".

Also it must be reassuring that Kevin Ecoffier's repair was considered as strong if not stronger than the original bond and they will have him with them if it goes again :lol::D

Rantifarian, your recollection is flawed, the first failure was simply the track /mast bond failing, no 'splitting of carbon' and Staysail, no report of the mast delaminating. It appears all the problem was around that bond, not a failure in the layup of the tube itself.

All boats back in water, rigs in and shore crews running round crazy busy as only today and tomorrow before they go racing again.

SS

....looks like the Dongboys got out for a 2 minute testride, at least that's how AIS shows it :mellow:

......perhaps they pulled an Elvstrom,, went outside and had a ''how'd that happen?''

DEPARTURE of ship:DONGFENG VO65NO1Port:AUCKLANDTime:2015-03-09 22:41 (UTC)

ARRIVAL of ship: DONGFENG VO65NO1 Port: AUCKLAND Time: 2015-03-09 22:43 (UTC)

Hi Couch, quite a few of the teams went out for a 'yot' as permitted under the rules to make sure any work done by the boatyard is hunky dory.

Off to dinner right now but had a good chat (not formal enough to call an interview) with both Nick Brice and Knut Frostad. Once I have re-fuelled (dinner) I will send another post with what we covered.

SS

Hi Couch, quite a few of the teams went out for a 'yot' as permitted under the rules to make sure any work done by the boatyard is hunky dory.

...yah,been getting a few of those all day. Brunel most recently at ~10pm... a little stealth training?

More (french) infos about dongfeng here http://www.lequipe.fr/Voile/Actualites/Dongfeng-reprise-en-douceur/541962

5h testride and debreaf, Dean Barker onboard dongfeng thursday followed by Peter Burling for, leg start...

...a fairly long version of....'nothing to report' :mellow: .......
Nineteen hours in Auckland on Tuesday (7 o'clock this morning in France): Dongfeng is the last of six boats to return to port at the foot of the Viaduct Center. Five hours after leaving for a monohull sailing settings which underwent a total revision last week in anticipation of the fifth stage of the round the world crew; the longest (6,776 miles, 12,500 km) between Auckland and Itajai in Brazil whose departure will take place Sunday, March 15 at 14 am (French 2 hours). Just moored up debriefing between seafarers and shore crew.
In English, Kévin Escoffier lists the settings changes to be made in advance of the training run Thursday. This technical issue and the list goes on. To finish this half-hour point, Bruno Dubois tells the crew the presence of Dean Barker on board during the practice race on Thursday.
The New Zealander is currently at the heart of a case that has shaken the local sailing: the skipper of the Kiwi challenge beaten by Oracle (9-8 after leading 8-1) in the last America's Cup in 2013 was landed the position by the big boss Grant Dalton (still reluctant to accept an interview). He will be replaced by the new star of the country, Peter Burling which itself will be on board Dongfeng before the departure of the stage. The debriefing ends with the loading of a sail on board.
"It was a restart navigation, nothing exciting, we" check "everything to ensure that everything has been replaced, everything works," says Kevin Escoffier. So what? Everything is ok? "There are some hacks to do but overall it will," replied the handyman Dongfeng.