Sign in to follow this  
ghotio

Jeremy Clarkson's BBC contract DTS???

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

The corporation said the presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.

At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".

No clarkson, no show. It's literally his baby.

Taking him off kills the show, the other country spin offs, the magazine...

And with over 300 millions viewers worldwide, BBC would be foolish to pull the plug.

Maybe they'll keep clarkson and sack may as collateral damage.

"We have to get rid of someone, so eenie meanie minie no, may is the one to go"

That will be sad, it is my favorite show on TV and without Jeremy it wouldn't be what it is.

The BBC has obviously forgotten how poor the ratings were of Old Top Gear once Jeremy Clarkson left the show.

As much as I enjoy May and Hammond on their own TV shows, they can not carry TG without Clarkson. Nor would I think they would want to.

So then TG with a new cast will become as appalling as TG America.

Maybe it is time, this season has really not been that good. Same shtick different week.... Hopefully they stay on until they get the Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo on the track.... May has actually gotten better in the last couple seasons IMHO.

NOOOOOOOO! NOT TOP GEAR WITHOUT CLARKSON......

However.... Jay Leno is available, Letterman will be available after he takes a well deserved vacation.

Without Top Gear BBC America might as well be dropped from Cable. Other than Dr. Who we just don't get it..... A couple hot female news anchors does help.

What do you say we do a PR Prisoner swap. You take Brian Williams and we Get Clarkson. Clarkson can be the NBC News Anchor and Williams gets Top Gear. Win Win.

I would definitely watch both

It could be a good thing....

Clarkson can start up a new motoring show on cable tv not hampered by the PC pussies at the BBC. I like May and I like his solo shows and I think he and Clarkson work well together.

Hammond, don't think I'd miss him, replace him with Amber Heard http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/994035203001

NOOOOOOOO! NOT TOP GEAR WITHOUT CLARKSON......

However.... Jay Leno is available, Letterman will be available after he takes a well deserved vacation.

Without Top Gear BBC America might as well be dropped from Cable. Other than Dr. Who we just don't get it..... A couple hot female news anchors does help.

What do you say we do a PR Prisoner swap. You take Brian Williams and we Get Clarkson. Clarkson can be the NBC News Anchor and Williams gets Top Gear. Win Win.

I would definitely watch both

How about a Clarkson- Jon Stewart exchange. Clarkson would be riotous on The Daily Show. Don't know if a guy from Jersey who works in NYC would be much of a car guy though.

UMMM I don't think Clarkson shares John Stewart's view of the world.....

Clarkson as Daily Show host is brilliant. YES.

UMMM I don't think Clarkson shares John Stewart's view of the world.....

Does he have to? Colbert became famous with a faux-conservative persona. All Clarkson needs to do is be interesting enough to get people to tune in.

Just watched the "enie, meiny, miny, moe" video. You have to really stretch to get the "n-word" from it, however you know it's coming so you are listening for it. My guess is the producer that Clarkson decked was the one who put "n-word" take in the show after Clarkson specifically asked him not to. I'd deck him too...

Top Gear survived the Stig outing. It would probably survive this as well. Jay Leno would be awesome!

Jay Leno could be really good, wouldn't be the same though. What makes it work with Jeremy, James, and Richard is their chemistry. I'm not sure it'd be there with Leno

Clarkson is the one slim ray of sunshine in this fucked up PC world. Top Gear is finished without him.

The rest of the BBC is just a sheltered workshop like our ABC here in Oz. Bunch of lefty fucktards.

Clarkson is the one slim ray of sunshine in this fucked up PC world. Top Gear is finished without him.

The rest of the BBC is just a sheltered workshop like our ABC here in Oz. Bunch of lefty fucktards.

Bloody right, LB

"What do you say we do a PR Prisoner swap. You take Brian Williams and we Get Clarkson," Kent H.

Funny shit there, Kent. :lol:

As said above the show is a bit dull this season. I'm thinking it's a rating ploy..... The BBC knows the consequences of him leaving and they're not giving up that cash cow. Another slap on the wrist and back to blowing up caravans...

I like all three hosts, I think taking away one would ruin the show.

I think you are way off the mark about the ABC LB. They have less bias than any news station I can think of anywhere.

Somebody had to do it.

Who else has he popped? Anybody? Doesn't matter. He's definitely "an indispensable man" just for that.

My guess is the producer that Clarkson decked was the one who put "n-word" take in the show after Clarkson specifically asked him not to. I'd deck him too...

No. It was a dispute over catering. No sandwiches after a long days shoot. I find the offence Clarkson manages to produce in the prissy PC brigade pretty amusing but punching someone out for that is not OK. If indeed he did, which isn't entirely clear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11463383/Jeremy-Clarkson-suspended-after-punching-Top-Gear-producer-in-row-over-catering.html

• Some of their brighter moments::

May 2014 - The programme drew complaints when video footage leaked to the Daily Mirror appeared to show Jeremy Clarkson using a racist term while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe. The presenter later apologised for the incident, which was never broadcast

October 2012 - The BBC Trust ruled comments by Clarkson which likened the design of a camper van to people with facial disfigurementsbreached disability guidelines.

January 2012 - Indian diplomats complained about a 90-minute India special in which a car fitted with a toilet in its boot is described by Clarkson as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots".

February 2011 - The BBC apologised to Mexico after Clarkson and his co-hosts characterised Mexicans as "lazy" and "feckless".

people need to HTFU

Over 332,188 signers now. So, what time on Sunday is new shows on BBC? Did not know that...

Over 332,188 signers now. So, what time on Sunday is new shows on BBC? Did not know that...

20.00 on Sundays, well it used to be.

Thanks!! Now, must remember to set the DVR...

Thanks!! Now, must remember to set the DVR...

Too late now, the three remaining shows of this series have been cancelled...

So let me summarize the BBC decision. Take the guy who drives the shit out of any car he tests, regardless of price. Gives some good feedback on the cars he drives and is probably the guy most viewers would want to have beer with ---- knowing that this could result in closing the bar or getting thrown out of it.

And they fire him. WTF??

Way back when Clarkson did Top gear with people like Tiff Needell, Quentin Wilson and Vicki Butler-Henderson to name a few. Those days top gear was a real car show for the people as the new show often pokes fun at now. There were car reviews, news and a few gags but there was no showmanship.

Several presenters who went through the Top Gear mangle then started a show called Fifth Gear.

It is awful. terrible. Utter gubbins. That is what Top Gear would become if Jeremy Clarkson went.

I'm not sure what Clarkson's or the other two's contracts are but you'd think they could all move as a job-lot.

375,096 supporters have signed up, after 30 minutes on the radio this morning it looks he could hit half a million :lol:

And they fire him. WTF??

What happens in most companies if you punch another employee at work? Or do you think it's OK so long as you are a star?

And they fire him. WTF??

What happens in most companies if you punch another employee at work? Or do you think it's OK so long as you are a star?

Fine, sack him, but at least show the last 3 shows.

• May 2014 - The programme drew complaints when video footage leaked to the Daily Mirror appeared to show Jeremy Clarkson using a racist term while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe. The presenter later apologised for the incident, which was never broadcast
  • October 2012 - The BBC Trust ruled comments by Clarkson which likened the design of a camper van to people with facial disfigurementsbreached disability guidelines.
  • January 2012 - Indian diplomats complained about a 90-minute India special in which a car fitted with a toilet in its boot is described by Clarkson as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots".
  • February 2011 - The BBC apologised to Mexico after Clarkson and his co-hosts characterised Mexicans as "lazy" and "feckless".

people need to HTFU

</p>
I forgot the year but clarkson was chased out of Argentina by a mob throwing rocks.

Now that is something

And they fire him. WTF??

as long as the "star" is in a reasonably priced car, it is all good.

And wasn't the ratings winner in it's timeslot. Call the Midwife on BBC One was getting 3 million more.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a634039/poldark-debuts-with-69m-on-bbc-one-as-call-the-midwife-remains-top.html#~p6Dsnqda6c9uyk

I find myself in agreement with Alex Proud.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11455816/Why-is-Jeremy-Clarkson-so-determined-to-be-the-nations-biggest-oaf.html

A lot of it straight-up makes me cringe. Take the lazy, casual racism, like this gem from his Sun column: “Mexico doesn’t have an Olympic team... because anyone who can run, jump or swim is already across the border.” This particular joke was considered both pretty racist (and pretty tired) in the early 1980s. It’s the kind of gag your bigoted uncle, the one you dread having over for dinner, might tell after a few drinks. But, you know, it’s Jeremy, scourge of political correctness so, tee-hee.

Not with a bang, but with a whimper?

And wasn't the ratings winner in it's timeslot. Call the Midwife on BBC One was getting 3 million more.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a634039/poldark-debuts-with-69m-on-bbc-one-as-call-the-midwife-remains-top.html#~p6Dsnqda6c9uyk

Well theres no accounting for taste sometimes

I'm not sure what Clarkson's or the other two's contracts are but you'd think they could all move as a job-lot.

conveniently enough, all three contracts expire this month and they haven't resigned...

• May 2014 - The programme drew complaints when video footage leaked to the Daily Mirror appeared to show Jeremy Clarkson using a racist term while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe. The presenter later apologised for the incident, which was never broadcast
  • October 2012 - The BBC Trust ruled comments by Clarkson which likened the design of a camper van to people with facial disfigurementsbreached disability guidelines.
  • January 2012 - Indian diplomats complained about a 90-minute India special in which a car fitted with a toilet in its boot is described by Clarkson as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots".
  • February 2011 - The BBC apologised to Mexico after Clarkson and his co-hosts characterised Mexicans as "lazy" and "feckless".

people need to HTFU</p>

I forgot the year but clarkson was chased out of Argentina by a mob throwing rocks.

Now that is something

yuppers...last year IIRC. for making fun of them losing the Falklands war..

Lots of interesting points here. All valid to an extent. I guess if he did deck the guy for missing dinner then the decision has already been made. He's gone. But with all the presenters contracts coming up maybe the whole thing was a ploy to get out from under the BBC and start something else. Time will tell.

And they fire him. WTF??

There is more to this story than the final action. Not all "violence in the workplace" incidents result in termination. Was there some type of provocation? What actions did the person who was stuck take prior to the incident.

Lots of interesting points here. All valid to an extent. I guess if he did deck the guy for missing dinner then the decision has already been made. He's gone. But with all the presenters contracts coming up maybe the whole thing was a ploy to get out from under the BBC and start something else. Time will tell.

Absolutely

Over half a million votes and with the BBC in the shit this could be interesting how the senior management handle this one.

If the accusations are proven, I don't see how they can do anything but sack him.

Agreed, it's an instant 'out the door' incident, I operate the same policy at work, it's just not allowed.

i bet they were drunk at the time, end of day, drinking and some body screwed up the order.

Either way the BBC charge a fee to their customers and we should get a choice in what we see as a customer.

You couldn't make this shit up!!!

Live 10 news, even the Prime Minister has chimed in and been interviewed tonight. Apparently he's a fan and his kids will be 'really' upset if they take him of air. Asshole, he's just chasing votes for the election.

What a bunch of pussies in the UK. How the fuk did your ancestors fight the nazis so valiantly???

Have a look the at the pussification thread in PA. It's happening to you guys as well.

But there is a general 'they can go fuk themselves' attitude creeping back in. (This will end up in PA at this rate)

I took a look at it. Right on. Amazing....have they all forgotten history? Their attitude is just like Neville Chamberlain's in 1939. Trying to bribe or assuage mad dogs is just plain stupid.

If the accusations are proven, I don't see how they can do anything but sack him.

Easy-

Clarkson- "we were discussing the catering when I noticed a rather large and very menacing insect had landed on Mr. Producer's face... After realizing it wasn't in fact Richard Hammond, I deftly eluded it's defences and was able to, quite impressively I might add, remove this deadly creature from my colleague's face thus saving his life, and the world, again."

Signed also. Comment was as follows:

I would rather be honestly offended by someone who doesn't know me than dishonestly protected by some other person who I don't know and whose motives are a mystery.

He may well be an ass to deal with, but I would rather watch him than american top gear any day. That is the producer;s problem to manage.

Maybe we can send them David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan from Road Kill. That would be a master's course in political in political incorrectness!

people need to HTFU</p>

Now that is something

Same thing happened to them in Mississippi. IIRC, they all drove three pick-ups with a lot of Gay Pride emblems down there. Seemed like they really, truly had no idea just how dangerous that could be.

IIRC, he said afterwards he suspects that in some regions of the US, people have been breeding with vegetables.

but that was funny. and quite possibly true.

they were in deliverance land after all.

Live 10 news, even the Prime Minister has chimed in and been interviewed tonight. Apparently he's a fan and his kids will be 'really' upset if they take him of air. Asshole, he's just chasing votes for the election.

Not just a fan. Personal friend of Clarkson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipping_Norton_set

Hey, this is a sailing site. On the list, Charles Dunstone, the main money behind Ben Ainslie Racing. Which has picked up £7.5M in government funding. Not that I'm saying there's any connection.

Same thing happened to them in Mississippi. IIRC, they all drove three pick-ups with a lot of Gay Pride emblems down there. Seemed like they really, truly had no idea just how dangerous that could be.

Oh yes they did. That was the point.

I don't know, perhaps he is hypoglycemic. I'm surprised my dear wife hasn't decked me when she was hungry and dinner prep was taking too long. "Foul" isn't a strong enough word to describe her mood on those occasions.

OTOH, if this was a prima donna, petulant act, and there were no mitigating circumstances, well, yes, he has to go.

Oh yes they did. That was the point.

They didn't want to get hurt. They thought they would piss some folks off but no way they wanted to get themselves or one of their peeps hurt.

A lot depends on the details of the incident with Clarkson. All those little details that separate something that can be sorted out with apologies, fines, suspensions, or if they have to pull the plug on a fifty million pound a year enterprise and probably about 100 people's jobs.

"Not fair because anyone else..." is silly. Life isn't fair and he's not anyone else.

Clarkson has been Clarkson on Top Gear for high on 35yrs now. He created what is the "new/now/3 blokes having a piss" Top Gear. He sold off his rights to the BBC's most popular & profitable show in 2012 for an undisclosed absurd sum.

He'll live. Mebbe he's seen the bathroom writing on the wall and just is tired of the bullshit?

You have not heard the last from the Clarkson, he can't shut up. I hope he collects his dole from the unemployment office...and tapes the cheque to BBC HQ while he moons the adoring crowd.

I heard......... that the crew were waiting for the 3 presenters to get on a helicopter and back after a day of shooting but they sat in the pub for 3 hours getting shitfaced and were then pissy when they got back and there was no food.

This is definitely not from a verified source other than the interweb!

A lot depends on the details of the incident with Clarkson. All those little details that separate something that can be sorted out with apologies, fines, suspensions, or if they have to pull the plug on a fifty million pound a year enterprise and probably about 100 people's jobs.

Not looking good for Jezza. A comparison with Jimmy Saville is as toxic as you can get.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11473066/BBC-boss-likens-Jeremy-Clarkson-to-Jimmy-Savile-after-establishment-support.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-host-called-bbc-producer-a-lazy-irish-c-before-punching-him-disciplinary-will-reportedly-hear-10108158.html

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/14/jeremy-clarkson-row-test-bbc-bullying-rules-savile-crisis

I heard......... that the crew were waiting for the 3 presenters to get on a helicopter and back after a day of shooting but they sat in the pub for 3 hours getting shitfaced and were then pissy when they got back and there was no food.

i must have read the same article. said may was so smashed he couldn't remember exactly what happened.

i must have read the same article. said may was so smashed he couldn't remember exactly what happened.

The Telegraph article that Ed posted above also alludes to it so maybe more than just hearsay.

IMHO Top Gear is past it's sell by date. It used be amusing but has gone stale for quite some time. The same old piss taking on each show. Time to move on.

As for Clarkson he was apparently drunk having delayed a helicopter by two hours while drinking in a pub. When they arrived late in the hotel all the crew had gone to bed except producer Oisin Tymon who had stayed up to greet them. The chefs had gone home and only cold food was available. Clarkson lost it and went into a rage telling Tymon he would see he was fired. He apparently called Tymon a "lazy Irish cunt" and punched him in the face splitting his lip. Tymon was taken to hospital. This saga was apparently all played out in public in front of other hotel guests. Tymon didn't report it to the BBC. Clarkson did it himself. Tymon is apparently getting hate emails and threats since the incident.

A friend of mine took his ten year old to one of the Top Gear roadshows. He met Clarkson May and Hammond after the show in a hotel. He said Clarkson and May were downright rude to anyone who approached them. Hammond was on the other hand an utter gentleman and signed autographs for the children. Just goes to show, never meet your heroes.....

Starting to look like Clarkson will be signing up for a course at the University of Adrian Chiles & Jonathan Ross - Celebrity 101: life outside the Beeb isn't nearly as rosy as you thought it would be.

i dunno, life outside the beeb could be very lucrative for the whole trio, if they do it right. and clarkson is no dummy. well....

howard stern and the fcc comes to mind....

i dunno, life outside the beeb could be very lucrative for the whole trio, if they do it right. and clarkson is no dummy. well....

howard stern and the fcc comes to mind....

Bingo

Look how much $ fell on Oprah after syndicating her show.

And no BBC overlords.

The BBC owns the format.

big deal. they can do a syndicated show for just about any production company on the planet. tweak here n there and back in business, like david letterman's move from nbc to cbs.

new track, new studio setup, new stig like thing, same old boorish englishmen doing stupid things in cars making us envious.

hell, with their popularity i bet they could start their own auto channel...

If they do forge a new show their first hire should be a certain Producer who's nursing a split lip.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/jeremy-clarkson-foul-mouthed-rant-bbc-top-gear

Jeremy Clarkson has launched into an expletive-laden tirade against BBC bosses, labelling them “fucking bastards” following his suspension from Top Gear.

Clarkson hinted that he expected to be sacked as a result of the internal investigation into an alleged fracas with a programme producer which will report next week.

“The BBC have fucked themselves,” Clarkson told a charity auction in north London on Thursday.

A tank? Seriously? If I was a cynic, I'd think this was all a publicity stunt.

Starting to look like Clarkson will be signing up for a course at the University of Adrian Chiles & Jonathan Ross - Celebrity 101: life outside the Beeb isn't nearly as rosy as you thought it would be.

Brings to mind Henry Sellors;

The BBC should just let Clarkson do what he does best, entertain and offend.

Look what they let Jimmy Savile get away with.

Those two are nobodies outside of the UK... Clarkson is not.

Worst case, Clarkson can always can make a career as the obligatory outspoken British judge that all American talent shows must have ;)

Look what they let Jimmy Savile get away with.

Which is why, much as they might like to, they can't just brush it under the carpet.

Well looks like Clarkson's contract IS DTS.

I hope Hammond and May tell the BBC to go fuck themselves.

Top Gear will then become a shadow of its former self, about as good as Top Gear America.

Here's the findings:

Investigation findings – Ken MacQuarrie

On 9 March 2015, Jeremy Clarkson reported to BBC management that he had been involved in a physical and verbal incident with Oisin Tymon, the producer of Top Gear, at the Simonstone Hall Hotel, North Yorkshire, whilst working on location. The incident had occurred on 4 March 2015 and Jeremy Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, pending investigation.

I was asked to undertake an investigation to establish the facts of what occurred. In conducting my investigation, in line with the BBC’s usual practice, I interviewed a number of witnesses and others connected with the incident. Accounts were agreed, based on my interviews, with each participant.

Having conducted these interviews and considered the evidence presented, I conclude the following: on 4 March 2015 Oisin Tymon was subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack by Jeremy Clarkson. During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently.

Specific facts I have found as part of my investigation are as follows:

 earlier on 4 March, studio recording of Top Gear had taken place in Surrey and the presenters had travelled that same evening to the location shoot in North Yorkshire;

 the incident occurred on a patio area of the Simonstone Hall Hotel, where Oisin Tymon was working on location for Top Gear;

 the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness;

 it is the case that Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;

 the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion – both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom;

 derogatory and abusive language, relating to Oisin Tymon and other members of the Top Gear team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a sustained period of time;

 it is clear that Oisin Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he had lost his job;

 following the attack, I understand that Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for examination;

 over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and

 it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.

It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack. It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important creative member of the Top Gear team who is well-valued and respected. He has suffered significant personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his own.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/investigation-summary.pdf

If they want to keep the format as it is now, I can see only one man who can replace him: Jay Leno...

He shares the same love of cars with a sense of humour, perhaps better honed by US TV to avoid controversy... And I can see him working relatively well with May and Hammond...

Top Gear will then become a shadow of its former self, about as good as Top Gear America.

Might do. Might not. There are many (me included) who think that the format was looking very tired indeed. If they take the opportunity to completely rethink it, the new-new TG might well rise phoenix-like from the ashes. Or it might not.

ETA. Interesting YouGov poll. 45% believe he should be sacked. 36% don't.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/igvuz4q90t/InternalResults_150311_Top_Gear_Website.pdf