Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghotio

Jeremy Clarkson's BBC contract DTS???

the holding company clarkson et al formed to produce their new show. the name has the initials of wilman, clarkson, hammond, and may in it.

if you wiki w chump and sons you'll find they've got an elaborate company structure going. freesailing would burst a vein trying to figure out the money trail. and of course he'd claim it's all corrupt.

Thanks, amro...

I thought you might be exaggerating a bit, but after seeing the wiki page, no ... :)

The page covers a lot of detail.

Cars In late-2015 the organisation acquired four Reliant Robin three-wheelers as company cars.[19][21][22][10] The fleet of four cars for Clarkson, Hammond, May and Wilman cost under £15,000.[10]

Their refusal to take anything seriously, is probably what is going to continue their success.

i take their lack of seriousness seriously :D

just downloaded all 22 series of top gear to watch from the start yet again.

as far as i am concerned, clarkson would slay trump for president.

Just watched the first of the new series on BBC iplayer. Nothing to write home about. Same format without the dry, sophomoric humor. All I could think about was what would Clarkson Hammond and May said in that situation. They seemed to be trying too hard to be C,H and M.

I guess it did alright in the ratings but I wonder about next week once the novelty has worn off. EJ is there next week so I might tune in for that. He's usually good for a laugh.

Still can't wait for the Grand Tour in the fall.

I saw it last night as well. Switched it off after 30 minutes, couldn't take Chris Evans a minute more. The Mrs went to bed as soon as he started talking. Leblanc was very wooden and was playing off his Joey character. Not impressed at all. Won't rush out to watch it next week.

The best part was Sabine Schmitz saying the Corvette suspension was horrible, just like a Ferarri!!!

Lasted about 10 minutes and turned it off.

That bad ? Really ? I haven't seen it yet.

It wasn't that bad. Just Mildly Mediocre.

That bad ? Really ? I haven't seen it yet.

It was very dull, not funny in any way and Matt LeBlanc just about sent me to sleep and part of the audience as well it seems.

Chris Evans’s newly revamped Top Gear began filming on Thursday, with dozens of audience members reportedly leaving the studio before the show had finished filming.

The host told the reasonably sized audience they would be 'on their way by 4pm', yet filming continued at Dunsfold Aerodrome until the early hours of the evening.

A source told The Independent that from 4pm onwards people began to filter out of the studio, Evans and co-host Matt LeBlanc attempting to entertain the 'unimpressed' audience.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-unimpressed-audience-members-walk-out-on-chris-evans-before-filming-finishes-a7042081.html

Apart from all the clowning around, the old Top Gear still used to be a show ABOUT cars. Now its just clowns WITH cars...

No technical information about any car, apart from the size and hp of the engine, no discussion or analysis of performance or handling (except the one all too brief comment from Sabine referred to above)

Tried to watch it through, but gave up after about 40 mins...

I just hope I'll be able to catch The Grand Tour when it comes out, afaik Amazon Prime is not abailable around here

me too - 10 minutes only!

Yup - That's about how long I lasted. Absolute bollocks.

Well that was painful.

But I learned something today

Total and utter tosser who is incapable of doing anything other than annoying people, and not in a way that is funny to others. Best used idly. e.g. "Git."

"You useless git."

Well the viewing figures were half a million down on the minimum they wanted, any guesses for next week? Or how long before they just give up?

someone thinks otherwise. but then again, he, like cliffie, is a legend in his own mind.

12% more viewers than the opener of the last series? pure curiosity to see if he could pull it off. i fell asleep probably 15 mins in.

79UtwPa.png

Who's he trying to convince? himself or the general public?

Who's he trying to convince? himself or the general public?

of course it will be more than last series, they turned in to see how it turned out.

wait until the next episode.

So probably himself.

thought evans was a bore but I actually liked joey and sabine. but you had to know there was no way there were going to let the us win the challenge.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rallycross track. it looks fun but I can't see how they will be able to make it consistent from year to year. we'll see.

Joey was unfunny and fucking terrible.

The new Top Gear is an abortion that shouldn't exist.

the worst thing they're doing is trying to make it just like the old show.... bad tactics...

the worst thing they're doing is trying to make it just like the old show.... bad tactics...

Exactly. A seppo, unfunny pom and a kraut aren't going to replace 3 old dirty fucking poms.

tried again to watch the episode. fell asleep in even less time.

not going to bother with episode 2 unless someone dies on screen.

tried again to watch the episode. fell asleep in even less time.

not going to bother with episode 2 unless someone dies on screen.

That's not going to help.

The Git already died a thousand deaths in the first episode.

Chris Evans parodying ole Top Gear with his new version = NOT FUNNY

Stewart Lee parodying ole Top Gear = FUNNY

The audience for the latest episode of Top Gear dropped by more than a third, compared with last week's series debut.

An average of 2.8 million viewers tuned in to the second instalment of the new series on Sunday evening - 1.6 million fewer than the first episode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36458510

Just watched Ep 2 on iplayer Not much better than Ep1. EJ did not bring a whole lot.... I'm out.

Actually watched extra gear the 1/2 spin off and it was better than the main show.

Roll on fall

tonite! clarkson makes... a box! [/clarkson]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbkDiuz9fw&feature=youtu.be

im sorry. The other guys dont have a chance. Matt lablanc will see this and rightfully ask for way more money or throw in the towel. This is why leno turned down the idea of an american version. These guys have a natural rapport that money cant buy. Colbert has this too as does jon stewart. But these guys together is just a rarity in entertainment. The rat pack guys had it. Lily tomlin and jane fonda have a good thing going in there show and frankly the oceans 11,12,13 movies had it in most of their ensemble scenes.

tonite! clarkson makes... a box! [/clarkson]

im sorry. The other guys dont have a chance. Matt lablanc will see this and rightfully ask for way more money or throw in the towel. This is why leno turned down the idea of an american version. These guys have a natural rapport that money cant buy. Colbert has this too as does jon stewart. But these guys together is just a rarity in entertainment. The rat pack guys had it. Lily tomlin and jane fonda have a good thing going in there show and frankly the oceans 11,12,13 movies had it in most of their ensemble scenes.

I haven't watched the new show but, It's kind of funny that these three can take a stupid task like this and turn it into entertainment.

Seems Evans is done.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/chris-evans-quits-top-gear-presenter-full-statement-bbc-radio-2-a7119206.html

As to Mont Blanc? Well.... maybe, maybe not for season two - the post Jezza years....

WTF were they thinking having soooo many presenters.....in the studio?

It only really gelled with the filmic set movie pieces like them on mass doing SUVs in Africa

And two lame c-lister stars in a mini rally-cross car what a waste of the show budget/timeline segment that was.....

If Le Grand Tour, comes up with the goods for AMAZON, come the autumn...perhaps its simply best for the Beeb to put this once iconic show to RIP mode.....

As you were....

chris harris is perfect for the vacant position. he has charisma close to chm and knows cars and how to have fun in them. you could see it in the last episode when he was manhandling the nsx.

get rid of jordan. pointless. sabine can do car testing on tracks. leblanc was ok. just has to loosen up. he was making some funny one liners in the porsche.

rory reid i am not sure of yet. he knows cars, he is personable.

harris, leblanc, reid, stig, sabine around for challenges n stuff. harris and leblanc for sure.

As to Mont Blanc? Well.... maybe, maybe not for season two - the post Jezza years....

He's as funny as a lump of wood. Needs to be axed.

After watching them, the missus and I watched the Bolivia and then the Nile specials. Top Gear stopped being a car show years ago and became all about watching 3 ageing friends carrying on as idiots and being entertaining. It was great.

top gear was never about being a car show. it was about 3 blokes acting like they were married carrying on, sometimes with cars around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TopGear/comments/33pypa/andy_wilman_tells_the_full_story/

Matt LeBlanc had already stated that he was going to leave the show at the end of the season if Evans was still there. Evidently, Evans was worse than Clarkson in terms of being a prissy diva.

the leblanc thing was a rumour that hasn't been substantiated. it was reported in a less than credible news outlet.

but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. evans couldn't even change his shirt for the show.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE....well actually three!

BYE BYE Chris Evans!!!! Horrible....I never even liked him as a guest on Top Gear!!! Chris Evans was FIRED!!! SACKED!!! He was only allowed to quit to save face...

I bet YouTube.com has higher ratings on old Top Gear than Evans and crew have on the brand new Top Gear!!!

Who runs the BBC? That damn show is actually painful to watch.

Now to see the Grand Tourer...something something etc...you must be a Amazon Prime Customer...So I want everyone to go to Amazon and pay the fee!

Now it is only $70 for Americans and for those of you who exiled poor Clarkson, May and Hammond....and whose money ain't worth as much anymore it is going to be a lot more!!!! You may not own a car after you get done paying to be a Prime customer.

But there is a secret......The big question for those of you who do not want to pay the big pounds to be Amazon Prime customers will want to know how Grand Tour of Captain Slow is released. If Grand Tour of a star in a very unreasonable priced car has all of the episodes released at once or even in a single month you can watch for free! Amazon Prime allows for the first 30 days to be free. Now here is where it gets to be a bit tricky. Lets say Grand Tour of the Relient Robin is released in a three month period how can I watch it for free and not pay a Pound? All you need is two mates who also do not want to pay.... Each month one of you will join Amazon Prime for 30 free days!!!

and on that Bomb shell.......

If you are not already an Amazon Prime Customer.... you are either homeless or a moron!

Especially for men who do not like to shop. In many parts of Britain your stuff shows up in one business day. In the US from 1-3 days. You literally have all of the products and versions of any product available to you. Looking at my Amazon Prime bill a few months ago I had spent $6500 in 2016. Other than what we Americans call Gas....(I know, how can you call a liquid Gas?) I don't think I have bought anything, anywhere else....

So yes Britain is filled with people who prefer to exit vice join .... but make an exception and become a Prime Customer....or not.

wow kent, are you channeling woody?

HA! I might be. I always wondered if he was really angry or just posts that way.

I am a big fan of the old Top Gear and most things British.....if you didn't guess

Good, I might try and watch the new series without him. Couldn't manage more than 2 attempts for less than 20 minutes of this series.

If you are not already an Amazon Prime Customer.... you are either homeless or a moron!

And in riposte:

1. Most of my orders get free delivery anyway.

2. Only once in the last 12 months have I been sufficiently concerned when items turn up to pay for early delivery. Boat bits as it happens. Generally if I need it right now I don't use Amazon and if i don't need it right now, I can wait a couple of days longer.

3. Yes I am a man who hates to shop, however I have a wife who likes to. "While you are out dear can you get........"

4. I hate the way Prime is constantly shoved down my throat. Amazon apparently doesn't get the British reaction to the hard sell. Which is : fuck off. Fuck right off.

Especially for men who do not like to shop. In many parts of Britain your stuff shows up in one business day. In the US from 1-3 days. You literally have all of the products and versions of any product available to you. Looking at my Amazon Prime bill a few months ago I had spent $6500 in 2016. Other than what we Americans call Gas....(I know, how can you call a liquid Gas?) I don't think I have bought anything, anywhere else....

So yes Britain is filled with people who prefer to exit vice join .... but make an exception and become a Prime Customer....or not.

we were thinking about dropping Prime. we just weren't using it that much..... then I heard that Le Grand Tour was on Prime.... we kept it.

And in riposte:

1. Most of my orders get free delivery anyway.

2. Only once in the last 12 months have I been sufficiently concerned when items turn up to pay for early delivery. Boat bits as it happens. Generally if I need it right now I don't use Amazon and if i don't need it right now, I can wait a couple of days longer.

3. Yes I am a man who hates to shop, however I have a wife who likes to. "While you are out dear can you get........"

4. I hate the way Prime is constantly shoved down my throat. Amazon apparently doesn't get the British reaction to the hard sell. Which is : fuck off. Fuck right off.

Not everything us Kiwis inherited from our British ancestors was good, but I love it that we also got this in big doses.

Well now the 'ginger-whinger' is gone...tis time for the Beeb to think different and offer Rowan a deal, to go up opposite Le Blanc... as the thinking woman's Brit counterfoil......for TG

So your recipe for success is matching a long-since unfunny Brit with an even unfunnier Yank?

So your recipe for success is matching a long-since unfunny Brit with an even unfunnier Yank?

actually that could work. Let Leblanc talk and Rowan do the facial expressions.

The best solution would have been a deal to license the Top Gear trademark to Clarksons four person crew who are now working on the Amazon contract. The BBC gets out of the production business and handles the marketing. Instead no quick deal was done and Amazon stepped in. There is no solution and the show is doomed to low ratings with spikes each time a new presenter is introduced.

Make Clarkson and Co. an offer to start at the end of their Amazon contract. As the four of them want to retire they still earn a bit as new presenters are slowly introduced.

Rowan un-funny....WTF are you a millenial?

I once did a producing for radio workshop with John Hardress Wilfred Lloyd CBE, trust me if the quality's there in the writing... Atkinson is more than capable to deliver...

Straight out of Billy Maddison & agree, a Murano of all things & a fucking 2WD at that. Enjoy your CVT gearbox rebuild costs, matched with terrible fuel economy for a car that has the same interior space as a Pulsar.

Classic Jezza.... and great to watch while munchin' something over lunch....and no.... not on yer secretary.......(obviously)

Just watched EP1 the new BBC TG Series on BBC iplayer

CE Gone, Matt Leblanc hosts with Chris Harris and Rory Reid

Actually not too bad now that Chris Evans' histrionics are gone.

Certainly not Clarkson May and Hammond but worth a watch.

Episode 1 this year was not bad but then 2 and 3.... Sigh :(

+1